Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: Let's make a world

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> Role Playing General Discussion >> RE: Let's make a world
Page 4 of 4<1234
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
12/25/2012 4:50:30   
Legendium

Actually, Dai, the square isn't cut in two. It's a planet cut in two, (a sphere) a square forested planet with a big crack that doesn't go all the way through, and a planet that is compromised from several rocks hanging around a central gravity.

I think Chesset made a simple sketch.
DF MQ Epic  Post #: 76
12/25/2012 20:48:37   
The Demon Mage

Welp, I'm not too good at this science mumbo jumbo and sketching locations from an aerial view but I CAN suggest a few ideas! I'm just bawz like that.

First things first, the crack thingy. There will HAVE to be tons of stuff held inside the crack. Lost technologry, creatures, portals held by thousands of roots, the possibilities are endless! Has anyone has an idea of how much of the planet is NOT cracked? If it's big enough, why not make it a resting place for the... (pauses for dramatic effect) CHIBI/PLUSHIE DEVOURER! I couldn't resist doing that. It could be a place of serenity where peaceful beings reside, wanting to get away from the steampunk and all the magic and swordplay! (Sounds like my kind of place, actually, as much as I can't get enough of fantasy.) And what if (dun dun duuuuun) the ligament (I'm using this term basically since I don't have another word) starts to weaken/something starts to corrode it. Think of the panic... THE PANIC I TELL YOU! MWHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA-Excuse me, went into a phase there. Also, if the planet is rotating, what's the shock absorber?

As said before, I'm not very educated in physics and the sort, as I'm just heading off into Grade 8 and I'm making myself a sponge with my mom and her knowledge being the water.

How high is the gravity force? If we're using normal Earth rates, it should be pretty high up to not be able for the pull to... well, pull them down. OR, we could just have some random smart race or... Lim (he belongs to his own race. He's just to -SCIENCE!-y to be human.) invent something to keep them afloat or we may as well use the answer to every single possible question in existance: SCIEN-I mean magic. Are we using oxygen or a substitute for air? (For the breathers) Since we will be pretty high up (unless we find a way to have it be NOT very high up), we need our pumps. Or, we could have a field of air surround the entire planet as well as a huge space of... space or where-ever the planet is located.

A full on forest planet screams 'KILLER MONSTERS! GIANTS, TROLLS, PANCAKEZ, TOGS, ELVES.' Mountains full of gems just waiting to be mined with roots digging deep, filled with soothing medicine! Mysterious carnivourous plants that snap at ye... sealubbers with teeth as sharp as me mind! (And that's pretty sharp!) Pretty sure most of the more... humanoid beings will be dressed in camouflage. Swords and crossbows as well as shields can be easily formed. Others can be spears, clubs, hammers, daggers. A few of these depend of wheather a forge can be... forged or not. Needless to say, I'm pretty sure they will thrive, since they will be able to form tons of tools and weapons of... self defence and protection.

Just wondering: How exactly did we learn magic? What did we observe to gain the idea of doing the impossible?
We could have an entire legend about the coming of magic or something! *Squeals in excitement.*

Cultures should be pretty easy, since we pretty much know the basic stereotypes and we could play around with them as well as expand on everything. It would be fun... TO WRITE ABOUT A TROLL WORSHIP DANCE THINGY! Imagine big fat blubbering creatures jumping around a man tied to a burning pole by rope. Red Indian Trolls. Me gusta indeed.

I'm just gonna exclude myself from chemistry, since I barely know anything besides the C=Diamond, O=Oxygen, CO2 and H20=Water.

A liquified planet. Uh, what kind of liquids? Is it completely Aqueous or are their other melted solids in there?

That's all from him for now, I could come up with a few creatures or so, if you guys wish, just gimme a few details to work on.
Post #: 77
12/25/2012 21:18:22   
Starstruck

TARGET ACQUIRED: The_Demon_Mage [18353721047:264]

PREPARING WELCOMES...LOADING: 100%

CHANNELING ISIS: 100%

Weeeeeeelllllllccccccooooooommmmmmeeeee!

*showers with Bearcats, pink, undead celery, and asplosions*

I'm so glad you've joined the sanctuary against all that is normal and sane, aka the RP Boards.

Now that that's over with. ;) Let me answer every question you've had so far: Magic. As the mods have explained and reiterated, there is no need to consider the disastrous and potentially explosive consequences to having a cube for a planet, and also the very real problem of This Can't Exist. And the mods are usually the first ones to say things like "water doesn't do that; why can it reflect spells? (Magic =/= answers)", so when they do say "Go ahead and disregard everything you know about everything," it's noteworthy. :)

While you are certainly welcome to continue to muse over the physics of such a tri-planet, I would suggest that you hold off on statements or explanations until we have worked out what we want. For instance, what if we find a way to combine two of the planet ideas into one planet? Then all your wonderings would be for naught :(
DF MQ  Post #: 78
12/26/2012 0:22:00   
DaiTigris
How We Roll Winner
June14

Thanks for clearing that up Legendium, I can get confused easily at times.

Could we stick the plushie Devourer in there anyways? -looks around and remembers that the Devour might not technically exist in this universe- Or at least let it be our team mascot? All shall tremble at it's world destroying cuteness. Bwahahahahahah.......aaah...ah...ahem.

Getting back on topic, I'm thinking there could be an interesting meeting of subterranean creatures and terrestrial creatures at the crack(on the forested planet), it could open up some natural conflict on the forested planet. Another thing I want to sort out is wither this crack on the forested planet should be natural or not. I'm more in favor of having it be something that is not natural but has been around for a long time.

AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 79
12/26/2012 2:53:18   
Madam Mutant

Hello everyone, I'm not sure who'll remember me so I'll introduce myself. I'm Madam Adriana Mutant and I used to frequent this forum till I my school went into a state of drama, I'm a boy moving to my matric year and hope to be on at least ounce a week.

Ok, now that that's done, I'll go back to the topic.
First I want to double check whats being discussed, my next post will have my ideas.

1) Planet: 3 planets held in one atmosphere by either a metal sphere, magical anomaly, scientific anomaly or whatever floats you boat. There are islands floating around in the atmosphere of their own accord, some which have a reversed gravity pushing things away from its center. The planets are all different, at least one is cuboid and one is made up of islands loosely held together.

Suggestions: Yeah, guess I lied, bad me, but how about the scientific planet is separated into different sects of science by chasms, IE. one steam-punk culture, one sci f, one that similar to our world, a sect that has been completely taken over by robots and the biotic races are extinct or power sources.

2) Culture: Not really discussed yet, races and structure of the planet first needs to be planned. Maybe different major religions can be set up

3) Races: different ideas thrown out, but no real consensus has arrived.

Suggestions: I would like to see an elemental race on some of the islands that simply destroy everything near them, they could be worshiped as gods by people in some cultures because of their fearsome appearance.

4) Physics: I think I would agree that this should wait till the planets structure, and it's species, have been decided and said physics should be based around what has been designed.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 80
12/26/2012 12:28:07   
Legendium

*comes back without reading other posts to go on rant*

Alright. I've been thinking and making a few sketches, and analyzing and all that, (because I'm an INTP) and I have come up with a theory on how the seasons work in this tricky area of rotating rocks.

First off: Do we want an axle that has a tilt like the earth does? Because I'm assuming these three planets revolve around the invisible gravitational center.

We know, (at least I hope so) that seasons are only enabled because the earth's axis is on an angle. If we put our three planet's gravitational center on an angle, this would end up making things a bit more wintry. Because each of these rocks are moving around each other while moving around the sun, sometimes one would get in the way of the other, making a long night fr the one that's covered. With the tilted axis theory, we can avoid that, but there would be a very inconsistent seasonal change. Because they're on a tilted axis, one planet, like the north pole, would be entirely lacking in sunlight, because these planets wouldn't be big enough to have various heats.

Oh forget it. Let's cut to the chase. During winter on these planets, one will have summer. During summer, one will have winter. At least, on a tilted axis they would. And because these planets keep moving, it'll be any of the three that'll go through cold during summer. Depending on how they rotate around each other, all of them might experience cold while the other two experience warmth.

As soon as I get to a scanner, I'll scan my sketch onto my computer.

@Madam Mutant

I'd disagree with your opinion on physics. It's better to make a place and understand how it works, and then see how creatures could have evolved on it. For instance, if the square isn't tilted, the top and bottom sides won't get very much light or warmth at all. So the animals or plants that live there will have to be very, very tough.

@The Demon Mage

I'd say the part of physics that we're changing for the sake of fantasy would be gravity. Gravity has huge impacts, and if we say things can float around something that has no apparent weight, it can. It's the consequences of it that we should be going into. Everything that weighs something should weigh normally. If you fall to the middle of the sphere of air, you just hang their, because you can't fall. Same goes for the planets that have holes. But, naturally, the inhabitants would have been too scared to test this. ;)

As for cultures, my suggestion is we take turns drawing maps, writing histories, creating cultures and races. Then the next person can take the place as their worst enemy. And naturally, we would have to base things off each other to make sure the maps fit with the planets. So each of us can create something interesting and unique.

quote:

A liquified planet. Uh, what kind of liquids? Is it completely Aqueous or are their other melted solids in there?

When that was mentioned, it was meant as a planet that was hit so hard by meteorites that it became a pile of floating rocks.

quote:

Just wondering: How exactly did we learn magic? What did we observe to gain the idea of doing the impossible?
We could have an entire legend about the coming of magic or something! *Squeals in excitement.*

I was thinking of that, and wanted to base it off Warhammer Normal's "Winds of Magic". The different branches of magic appear in some people's mind to hang there as winds, or forces that can be formed and used. But only by people with this ability to see into the second reality. But that was just a thought.

I say go ahead! Make a history for magic, and we'll all review and edit it, and tailor it till everyone's happy.

@Dai

Why would the crack be unnatural? And how? But otherwise a good idea. Interesting that you would choose a species type of conflict. I was going for something like a "King of the Hill" conflict. Where there is one empire trying to hold onto a very rich land while the others attack it out of greed.

But that's the magic of having three different planets with obvious divides. We can each have our ideas, because there is plenty of space for culture separation.

*back to a lecture*

I've also been thinking about the square planet. If the people on one side thought up was simply above their heads, wouldn't the next side of the cube look like a very long cliff? That could scare people into staying away from the other sides of the cube, creating more divides. Then, I guess what would happen when you go from one side of the cube to the next, is that you would be in a freefall, and then suddenly go splat on the next side of the cube, with your face in the dirt.

Am I making sense?
DF MQ Epic  Post #: 81
12/26/2012 14:08:22   
Madam Mutant

I'm starting to see some never before seen races, but anyway, back to physics. I believe understanding how the world works is important, but I also believe the physics of said world should be based of how the world functions, not the other way around. Physics must make way for reality as reality won't make way for physics. It may even be interesting to leave the discussion of the physics of the world to a story.

Now, walking off the corner of the square planet. That seems hilarious and I would love to see that happen, I may even have someone travel to the other side of the planet for that very reason. So what happen when someone walk into a crater on the edge of the planet, do they float in mid air ( because they fall due to walking off a cliff on one half to midair and rising on the other half) or do they fall to the center of the crater.

Oh yes, I nearly forgot. How about a living, sentient planet, or the gravitational center could be some sort of immaterial being or an eldritch abomination of some sort. Or you could possibly have both. Another thought, perhaps a moon outside the triplet planets atmosphere.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 82
12/26/2012 14:24:34   
Starstruck

HOW ABOUT:

MOONS

Moons would basically solve all of the problems we were having at the beginning. A large gas giant and three large moons that have similar (and similarly paced) orbits would create about the same effect we were looking for. Magic would solve the problem that we'd usually have of That's No Moon, That's a Planet, and we can add more moons as we see fit, as well. If physics and astronomy could be completely tossed out the window, we could turn the gas giant into a massive terrestrial planet, surrounded by floating continents and orbited by droves of colossal, occasionally habitable/inhabited satellites.

We could name the planet Planet RP and discover the moons as we went along; there would be no issues getting to the moons because the atmosphere is full of floating continents. Think about that for a bit, tell me whatcha think.
DF MQ  Post #: 83
12/26/2012 14:38:38   
Madam Mutant

Makes sense to me, I just want the moons to be somewhere between earth and Ouranos sized ( Greek equivalent of Roman god) and there to be a living planet/moon that can talk and interact. maybe two, a female and a male with all the other moons/continents being their children. You could also have to giant planets ( gas or not ) revolving around each other wth their moons. That could from a distance appear to be similar to Pluto and Charon though.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 84
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> Role Playing General Discussion >> RE: Let's make a world
Page 4 of 4<1234
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition