Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=ED= Worldbuilding - January 11, 2013

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> =ED= Worldbuilding - January 11, 2013
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1/11/2013 18:29:28   
King Helios

quote:

January 11, 2013
Worldbuilding

While I'm working on the conclusion of the newest Frysteland story arc, Nightwraith asked me to go into a little bit of depth about world building. One of the great things about a creative endeavor like this is that we can create a vast universe with a rich history, various cultures, and a vibrant future. This, however, presents various challenges.

When building a world, an important thing to consider is where it falls on the Magic - Technology scale, and whether it's primitive or advanced. A sufficiently advanced magic-based world can have elements like browsing the ScryNet on your crystal ball and calling up the local IT Wizard to say a repair incantation over it when you can't read your m-mail or interstellar travel by means of dragon. A primitive technology-based society would involve a lot of bashing rocks together and the use of simple tools and machines.

Using the Krampus creation myth as an example, I'll try to explore some of these challenges. One of the most exciting and difficult aspects of creating a culture is determining their beliefs and practices. While the Krampus are in part based upon ancient Northern European cultures, I've borrowed ideas from Native American Pueblo and Zuni people- for example, the idea of sacred spaces being below the ground- as well as some others. In contrast, Snork's race is based somewhat upon Slavs by way of Mexico. It's good to look at existing world cultures as well as existing fiction.

I hadn't really codified the Krampus creation myth until called upon to think about the Endless, who as you'll recall is a powerful, immortal being who inhabits the Void. By necessity, any native peoples on Delta V will have to address the Void in their cosmology, so it makes logical sense to involve it in their creation story (in the case of the Krampus, they believe that their deities came from the Void). It's been previously established that the Krampus are a highly religious, superstitious culture, with alternations between agricultural and nomadic lifestyles. They are polytheistic and engage in some degree of ancestor worship, which is related to their belief that their race is descended from gods.

Creation stories often have several elements in common, mainly how the world came to be, who the forces ruling the world are, where death, illness, etc. come from, among other issues. In a culture like the Krampus, where they have to survive in a harsh environment while warring with neighboring tribes, the opportunity to grow old and die would be considered a blessing rather than a punishment. Geography is going to play a huge role in how your culture's going to develop, so keep this in mind when trying to build a fictional world. Nomadic, warlike peoples in a harsh environment aren't necessarily going to have the same kinds of rites, practices, and values as an agrarian society.

The challenge then is to integrate character, culture, and plot where they intersect. Your individual characters are going to have different experiences, and experience the same event differently because of personality, gender, age, etc. Think of your characters as people, but also think of them as tools. Don't get so involved with characters that you can't allow anything bad to happen to them- especially if the character is an Author Avatar. A common pitfall in writing characters based on the author is that they end up being too perfect, ie a “Mary Sue”. Whether you're writing an original story or fan fiction, should you have an author avatar character, you want to make sure that the character is flawed, that there are challenges the character needs help to overcome, and that you're not using the character for escape or wish fulfillment. Think of Sancho Panza, Hermione Granger, Professor Digory Kirke, Faramir/Beren, etc. Try to avoid comparisons to Bella Swan. This is especially challenging when writing for AE since many of the characters are blatant author avatars. When writing as Cinderella, I try to use how I would react to situations as a benchmark for how she reacts, and she'll say things I will actually say in conversation, and she shares some of my research interests. I do have to watch for wish-fulfillment in areas like her relationship with the Lawman (unfortunately, I will never get the chance to reconcile with my own father, but Cinderella may). When writing for a culture or peoples, you avoid the idea of a Race of Sues, or a Planet of Hats. Characters don't all have to be the last of their kind, or some kind of free-thinking radical, or otherwise extreme to be interesting. Every Citizen of Delta V doesn't have to be the Chosen Hero of the Exiles Who Will Save The Universe Singlehandedly.

So, what does that leave us with? Beyond I'm sure turning all of you off of ever trying to write anything ever, I hope this gives you insight into how you have to think to be a successful (er... semi-successful) writer. By keeping a log of in-world continuity, it can help against revelations or characters seeming forced- and address issues like “Why can't the Krampus just summon the Endless constantly?” or “Why haven't we seen this important Administrator yet?” In a serial work like this, you have to be able to seamlessly insert new information, or even make references that the player won't understand because of lack of exposition but that the existing characters know intimately. An exercise I use is just to write short stories about characters in their voices and frame them within the timeline. Most of this is never seen by players (though some is posted in the DN's) but it hopefully enriches the storyline and makes EpicDuel's universe an engaging world.

Tags: Cinderella

Tagged and formatted, ~Tanky

< Message edited by TankMage -- 1/11/2013 19:00:11 >
AQ MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
1/11/2013 18:34:46   
Lycan.

From old DN
quote:

Join us tomorrow for a preview of the new starting armor styles!

I was excited about that.
Epic  Post #: 2
1/11/2013 18:48:53   
the final hour
Banned

sigh ive alrdy got that angry im not going to be playing fr awhile now (when omega turns up ) if your begining to hate a game why play huh ? and this yeah im sure some people will love this but me personally not my thing was hoping for information not a story.

< Message edited by the final hour -- 1/11/2013 18:50:15 >
Post #: 3
1/11/2013 19:07:09   
kaiseryeux21

as much as i want to admire cindy for giving us a very good insight about world building, i guess i can speak to the majority of the players that its really much better to give us any info about compensation for enhancement or any other stuff related to the game. c'mon, we haven't got any release for more than a month already. and what have we got?? this?? sorry for being too sarcastic, but diplomacy right now cannot satisfy us. We want update, and we want it right now.
DF Epic  Post #: 4
1/11/2013 19:07:24   
One Winged Angel1357

This makes me question my character bio.

Thanks Cindy
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 5
1/11/2013 19:15:40   
jzozezjzozez

Thanks Cindy for new DN

Removed unnecessary comment ~Tanky

< Message edited by TankMage -- 1/11/2013 19:32:57 >
AQ  Post #: 6
1/11/2013 19:19:16   
Buffy A. Summers

I Really Appreciate The Staff's Attention And Work Details This Week.

Although We Are All Still Waiting For Omega To Launch And For More Information On The Enhancements Compensation...

The Fact That We Have Gotten Some Previews, Such As Improved Artwork (New Hair/Head Styles) And Some Background Into The Evolving Story Arc Of Epicduel Is A Very Good Thing.

It's Nice That The Staff Has Been "Hands On" This Week. Honestly Long Overdue, But Wonderful Nonetheless.

Also Good To See Staff Meeting "Post It" Notes On Omega Ideas/Goals, Titan Making A Forum Appearence And Statement And Cindy Giving Us Some Insight Into Her Critical Thinking Process For The Future Of The Storyline.

And To Have It All In Our Epicduel's Design Notes And Forum Is Awesome, Instead Of "Social" Web Sites.

Finally! Again, A Big Thank You And Good Going To Titan, Nightwraith, Cinderella And The Entire Epicduel Staff On A Job Well Done This Week.

Keep Up The Great Work. Very Professional And Interactive This Week. Doing Great Customer Service, Letting Us See Some Behind The Scenes, Previews And Mindset.

This Is Exactly What Myself And Many Others Have Asked For, To Be Kept Informed To The (Omega) Process As It Evolves.

Thank You For Doing That All This Week!

~ Buffy

< Message edited by Buffy A. Summers -- 1/11/2013 21:47:50 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 7
1/11/2013 19:20:51   
One Winged Angel1357

I know some of us are upset and even more of us don't use facebook so this is a good bit to share

quote:

I know we haven't announced exactly what compensations we're giving yet. Don't you think maybe we're saving the best for last? ;3
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 8
1/11/2013 19:52:54   
Crimson Eagle

I must admit, very interesting Design Notes! :D

~Crimson Eagle!

AQ AQW Epic  Post #: 9
1/11/2013 21:08:31   
SouL Prisoner

So this only means that the game is still not complete and will take much more time :/

AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 10
1/11/2013 21:33:26   
Stabilis

Maybe next Friday.

EDIT:
quote:

Much Like A Warm Gooey Cookie Fresh Out Of The Oven, I Enjoyed Savoring Each Byte.

I enjoyed every byte of facepalm.jpg

< Message edited by Depressed Void -- 1/11/2013 22:09:52 >
AQ Epic  Post #: 11
1/11/2013 21:59:36   
Buffy A. Summers

Cindy,

I Thought Your Reasoning And Consideration Of The Scope Of Epicduel's History, Moving Both Forward And Backword, So To Speak, Was Refreshing And Amazing.

It's Always Illuminating To See The Thought Process Behind The Work.

Very Cool. It Shows The Passion, Time And Thought, That You, As A Writer, Put Into Creating And Breathing Life Into the Background And Characters Who We All Interact With.

You Give Purpose And Meaning To Their Actions And Motivations, While Delicately Weaving This Into Various Cultures, Religions And Beliefs, As Well As Their Individual Plans With Delta V.

Your Words Reveal The Beautiful Mind Behind Our World's Creation And Much Like A Warm Gooey Cookie Fresh Out Of The Oven, I Enjoyed Savoring Each Byte.

In Summary, I Really Enjoyed Reading It. Thanks So Much For Sharing It With Us.

Very Sincerely,

Buffy

< Message edited by Buffy A. Summers -- 1/11/2013 22:31:11 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 12
1/11/2013 22:26:05   
TankMage

For those of you who were looking for some new class starting styles today - http://twitpic.com/bufjp9

Along with some skill core designs aswell - http://twitpic.com/bufj6b
AQ Epic  Post #: 13
1/11/2013 22:32:49   
drinde

50/50 seems like an interesting core. :D
DF MQ Epic  Post #: 14
1/11/2013 22:40:14   
SouL Prisoner

Seriously can't wait any longer ...

Are they planing to release content for the whole year at once.or wat ?? They could just.cut down and release some content next week ... I mean Cmon , its 1 month delay of the official date given , 14 Dec ? :'(
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 15
1/11/2013 23:13:17   
KEzAx

I agree with soul, its just taking to long and its getting annoying, post something about the compensation so varium players can feel happy for something
quote:

They could just.cut down and release some content next week ...

I 100% agree with you
Epic  Post #: 16
1/11/2013 23:14:42   
kaiseryeux21

we are slowly getting far from the reality. No content release for a month already. no frysteland war, no new missions, enhancements currently broken because of skill cores. from my point of view, this would take another 3 months before they can fix all of it. suddenly, the dev's are posting design notes everyday. As others may say we are getting close to the release, i must say we are still very far because they are just starting to work with all the features they presented to us last december. i hope im not the only one who had noticed that.

i would not be surprised if they would announce late january that the release is again re-scheduled on february.

< Message edited by kaiseryeux21 -- 1/11/2013 23:15:56 >
DF Epic  Post #: 17
1/11/2013 23:37:48   
Buffy A. Summers

Despite My Praise And Thanks To The Staff Above, Which Is Very Out Of Character For Me...

I Will Echo Some Of The Negativity Here And Say, Yes, What They Did This Week, Was Very Overdue And We Should Have Been Getting This, Perhaps In Smaller Portions, Over The Last 4-6 Weeks.

Omega Has Been On The Radar For A Long Time Now. It's Wonderful To See The Staff Working Hard And Sharing The Progress With Us.

BUT...

It's Like Someone Who Waited Last Minute To Do Their Homework. Some Of This Should Have Been Presented And Worked On Weeks Ago, In My Opinion.

But Progress Is Shown, As Is Effort, But To Some, It Seems, Too Little Too Late.

Broken Promises And Constant Delays Are Not A New Thing To This Game.

Let Us Hope That The Staff Makes This Update Worth The Wait.

We Can Hope That Omega Brings Positive Changes To Both The Game, It's Players AND The Staff.

We Shall See.

I Do Like What I've Seen From The Staff This Week, However. In Words, Deeds, Previews, Etc. A Positive, Interactive And "Busy" Feel Within The Commuinity And It's Management.

But It Seems Many Players Are Not Satisfied With The Slow Progress And I Can't Blame Them For Expressing That.

~ Buffy
AQW Epic  Post #: 18
1/11/2013 23:37:56   
SouL Prisoner

I know devs wanted omega to be a blast, with lot of content. But it doesn't see like working ...

My simplest advice to them, release the completed content or take help from AQW devs to get this done in 1-2 days ...
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 19
1/12/2013 0:16:55   
TRizZzCENTRINO

all i can say is that I'm disappointed in the players' lack of patience and lack of satisfaction with what the devs has to offer, you guys wanted DNs so bad and the devs gave you the DNs that you wanted, now you are unhappy again? and compensation should be saved for last like Cindy said, i don't get what you are worried about, just because they don't announce the complete detail of something that benefits only minorities, it doesn't mean it's not going to happen, it is all the same to you i guess, no matter what they announce it would always be plain and boring to some, Cindy has sacrifices her time to write up the story for us to understand whats going on, so we should just appreciate and go along with it.

im sure you all have your own life to go on with, go play some: X-Box, playstation, do studies, do homework, play with friends, go to a amusement park, watch newly released movies, make a small game, design something and lots of other "fun" activities to do, if you take your mind off omega, time will past very quickly and eventually omega will arrive in no time.

MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 20
1/12/2013 2:36:40   
TankMage

Ok all the unconstructive discussion needs to stop here. It's understandable that people can get frustrated with the delays, even the developers get frustrated, however that does not give anyone a reason to vent via the forums. We welcome constructive conversation about features, ideas and everything and above that could and will help make Omega the best phase of EpicDuel yet however posts that consist of nothing other than banter between others does nothing other than hinder this process. So please remember that when posting here.

< Message edited by TankMage -- 1/12/2013 2:38:10 >
AQ Epic  Post #: 21
1/12/2013 2:43:01   
kaiseryeux21

now i suddenly wish omega should have not been pushed to release. we could have been enjoying by now frysteland war and other new missions. If only.
DF Epic  Post #: 22
1/12/2013 3:20:38   
f4tal1tY

Mehhh to be honest, i don't really mind if Omega is released late by weeks, or even by months! I am enjoying the game right now, the forever updating design notes, and the friendly community :3 I just want this to be the best Epicduel ever yet, so take your time Devs! Do the best you can :) I'll always be supportive of this game (well at least until i get bored).

P.S. This is off-topic, but doesn't everyone remember that the restock last december for Charbinger items was the last one?
quote:

A lot of people were either unavailable or at work yesterday, so we're doing ONE MORE restock today at 3:30 PM EST. That's in about 27 mins

Hmmm... that's weird, because the Charbinger items just got ANOTHER restock... so much for limited rare. Not that I'm complaining, managed to grab a pair of Charbinger Claws even though I'm a Tech Mage! xD

- F4tal1tY

- My Guide to Tech Mages - Please check it out! Feedback is appreciated! :)
Epic  Post #: 23
1/12/2013 3:23:06   
Jekyll

We can't do anything about the delay. Yes, it's been almost one whole month since the original stipulated release date due to some bad estimation on the developers' part. However, are we really going to push them, force them, pressurise them to release it right now? Even if we held a gun to their heads, Omega's development wouldn't be near completion yet. There's still a good 18/19 days until the end of January, and I am confident that Omega will be in full swing by then. Let's hope I won't have to eat my words.
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 24
1/12/2013 11:09:25   
Sipping Cider

This was very interesting behind the scenes information. If we have any say in the story line, I have a few ideas/suggestions.

I do not really like the early civilization time setting as much as the advanced one. I will admit the Krampus work out as being the primitive natives living with the land because the snow and ice can be so hard to live in otherwise and they don't really live side by side with the rest of Delta V, but the mines, train station, overload facility, and barren cannons all make for an intriguing and fun world to explore. Even the core classes are futuristic in design, without much magic or primal feel to them.

The character development piece was also pretty cool. I myself would have to partly disagree with humanizing the dev avatar NPCs. Having some characters seem invulnerable or achieving their desires can be a nice cozy feeling, and I would rather look up to the dev's avatar NPCs as being masters/teachers than fellow struggling characters in the story line.
Epic  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> =ED= Worldbuilding - January 11, 2013
Page 1 of 212>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition