Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Something Real: a story about a boy and his search for reality.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> Something Real: a story about a boy and his search for reality.
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8/12/2013 1:43:09   
abcghimno

Prologue

I suppose the majority of people don't question their existence.

I remember lying on the ground, staring at the night sky through our skylight with her. Laelia. My sister. We smiled at each other and tried to identify as many constellations as we could, failing miserably but trying anyway.

Taking a breath in, she turned to me. Fifteen years old, innocent, and pretty, with flame-red hair and emerald green eyes, such a stark difference compared to my own average brown hair and eyes. She was so different compared to me, six years older than her, unemployed and uneducated but with a rich family and the most amazing younger sister in the world. She had a grin on her face, fully displaying the cute dimple on her right cheek and calling attention to her freckles as well.

"Do you suppose this is all real?" she asked me, sounding breathless, like this was the most amazing revelation she'd ever thought up—and it probably was. "Do you suppose all of this—the night sky, our house, us, everything—do you suppose it's all real?" Laelia searched me for an answer while I stared at her, confused and surprised.

I suppose my sister was perceptive; that she picked up on it somehow. I never bothered to ask him—err, them?

"I want something real, then. Alex, I want something real."

"Lae—" I paused, wondering how to address her. "Lae, how am I supposed to do that? And what if this world is real, huh?"

"Alexander," she told me sternly, only for her voice to fade into a softer tone. "I… I don't know." Frowning, she looked back up at the stars. I sighed and sat up.

"Shouldn't you be going to bed now anyway? It's…" I checked the nearest clock. "…almost eleven already, no time to be stargazing for a kid like you."

Laelia let out a frustrated sigh. "I'm not a kid, I'm fifteen, Alex! Stop treating me like one." Grumbling, she stood up and dusted off her flowery pajamas. "Fine then, I'll go to bed. Jeez." Before I could say anything, she stomped off. Just before she was out of earshot, she paused and yelled back, "I was serious about the 'real' thing too! You should consider it, if I'm too much of a kid to understand reality!"

I winced. "That hurt!" I yelled weakly back. Yeah, it was pretty lame. I sighed and stood up, deciding I might as well head off to bed myself. Unlike my sister, I hadn't changed, but I was too lazy to take a shower at eleven. Might as well just change into my clothes and go to bed dirty, wasn't like I cared—or my parents cared either.

Stumbling around in the dark, I managed to find my pajamas and change into them. When I was about to get into bed, I jumped. Something—at least, I swore it was something—flickered just out of my vision. Something white and vaguely human. Totally creeped out, I got into bed and stared at the darkness until I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore.

I hope I get to see her again after all of this…
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 1
8/12/2013 15:48:08   
abcghimno

Chapter 1: The Unraveler, Wordsmith

I've never been called to a world before, the being mused to themselves, standing in the boy's room. What could've happened that brought me here?

Hours had passed since their first appearance, and their many attempts to get out of the world since then had failed rather miserably, as if something was blocking them. Since they had appeared in the boy's room, it figured that it had something to do with him. The being silently hoped he wouldn't scream when he woke up.

Well, he didn't, but he did seem very shocked and surprised to see the being standing there. He was frozen out of fear, absolutely paralyzed. He barely managed to choke out a question. "What are you? Why are you here?" Well, two questions, but that doesn't matter.

The being smiled. Its form was vaguely humanoid, though entirely white in appearance and glowing with a faint light. It couldn't be told whether they were male or female; their hair (if it was hair, it wasn't quite clear) was a bit long for a boy and a bit short for a girl, and they didn't exactly have any noticeable features.

"I'm a… hm. I don't suppose I've ever thought of a name for myself. A… a word traveler, I guess. As for why I'm here…" The being paused and thought for an agonizingly long amount of time, before stating, "I don't have a clue, but I think you have something to do with it. What's your name?"

"Alex," he replied quickly. "Alexander, really, but everyone calls me Alex."

"Do you have a middle? Last? Or has it not been written in yet?"

Alex frowned at the being, rather confused. "Uh… Alexander Timothy Reed. What do you mean, written—" His eyes widened. "We're not real, are we? My sister was right!"

"Well," the being began, only to promptly start over, "Well. Uh… no, no you aren't, I'm not quite real either, I guess."

"You said you were a 'world traveler' or whatever—"

"Word traveler, not a world traveler. I guess both apply. How should I explain?... Alright. Extremely simplified version, I find words in one story and travel to another story which has words in common."

"Stories?... wait, why?" Alex replied, not scared of the being anymore. He sat up in bed and looked at it curiously.

"Err, you won't like this…" The being took in a breath. "I travel through stories to unravel… I guess, get rid of them."

"What?!" Alex jumped up and stood up in bed.

"Hey! Hey! I'm not going to unravel this world, you can tell because there aren't any words floating towards me." The being paused. "Wait, what do you see me as?"

"…totally white. Um, not like racist but—you're actually totally white-colored."

"Really?" The being shrugged. "Alright then, let's test this out…"

Its entire form shimmered and distorted for a moment, before being replaced with a fairly normal-looking (well, ridiculously tall but otherwise normal) human being.

"…wow." Alex gulped and stared up at the being. "You're… tall."

"Uh, yeah, yeah I am… whoops. Let's try that again." The being's form shimmered and distorted again, returning to a height only slightly taller than Alex's. It remained androgynous, and wasn't entirely normal, but hey—you take what you get. The most striking feature was the being's white hair. It was rather messy and uneven, hanging over its face, the longest strands reaching to its chin. Next were its eyes, which seemed almost white in coloration but were in fact a ridiculously pale gray. Its skin was also pale, and the being was rather thin, wearing a simple, long-sleeved black robe covering both hands and feet.

"Well, that's better… I guess." Alex paused and scratched his head. "So you say you're here because of me, huh? Are you sure it's not my sister?"

"I appeared in your room. Reasonably, it's you I'm here for." The being paused. "Hmm. I know your name, but I don't have a name to give you…"

"You don't?"

"No. Hmm."

"Uh… can I just call you something like 'wordsmith' or some other title?"

"Wordsmith doesn't make any sense, to be fair, but I'll live with it. Better than 'Unraveler' anyway. Now, why do you think I was called here?"

"…all I know is my sister asked me to find something real, something like that." Alex paused and scratched his head. "Maybe you're here to help me?"

"Me?" Wordsmith frowned. "I suppose it might make sense—" It was suddenly cut off by Alex.

"Can I just call you Smith? That would work, wouldn't it?"

"Uh, alright…" Wordsmith looked up and around Alex's room, finally resting on the clock. "…It's, uh…?"

"Ten. Time for us to go, my mom will be coming around to wake me up in fifteen minutes." Alex paused. "Hey—if I leave with you, how much time will pass here?"

"No time at all, actually," Wordsmith replied.

"Cool. Let me get changed quickly and we'll head off."

"It doesn't work like that," came Wordsmith's weak reply. It sighed and decided it might as well clue Alex in later. "Fine, fine, Alex."

Traveling to find reality? Wordsmith mentally slapped themselves. This is going to be a pain.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> Something Real: a story about a boy and his search for reality.
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition