Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

On the Unity of Lorian Elements: A Rune Knight's Ruminations

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> DragonFable >> On the Unity of Lorian Elements: A Rune Knight's Ruminations
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8/24/2013 20:17:40   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

Discussion Thread
On the Unity of Lorian Elements
A Rune Knight's Ruminations

By Fiweweld

A curious blade has made its presence known.

Whilst thwarting the remnants of that terrible shadow which shrouded Lore only a fortnight before- the very elements trembling before its untold might- our troupe encountered a sight the likes of which has never been witnessed by mortal eyes. We were navigating a swathe of fractured earth which the proponents of that darkness sought to escape the combined power of the humans and dragons. Yet there was no refuge from a force such as ours. The Elemental Orbs were as beacons of balance and harmony before the screeching fiends of shadow and chaos. Claymore and claw alike cleaved at the wraiths as they wailed their agony and unending hatred to the heavens.

Then there was me. It was in my bones that I experienced the renovating rumble of our elements as each dark echo was ripped and torn asunder. It was through my blood that the Avatars' blessing burned through like molten rock, bringing with it both terrifying strength and terrifying weakness. It was through my eyes which I finally beheld the Lore all mortals were meant to see- a land which lived and breathed just as we, a sky emblazoned by the brilliance and beauty of our sun, and those who would eagerly see this beauty become no more.

I was Gelevren the Gallant, Hand of the Avatars and Harbinger of Harmony, and it was in my heart that the Elemental Planes stood both united and yet entirely apart. But alas, Gelevren is no more.

This influence over the primary powers of our world was strange and exhilarating in equal measure. Symbols which initially held no meaning flashed before my sight as furious flares from the aftermath of my blessing. Without intention or purpose they were, to reiterate, utterly meaningless. Only when- through the force of my will- I poured my newfound energy into these meaningless shapes, they ignited within my mind. They were wordless expressions of the power which I had been bestowed. Nay, not symbols of magic or even of the elements- they were of intention and intuition. They were sigils of will.

Such a revelation first befuddled me. The Elemental Avatars held their powers at the forefront of their priorities, they fought countless wars and reveled in their champions upon our world. What purpose did intention or will serve among such essential forces as those of nature? While I pondered what so immensely perturbed me, we found it. The blade lay at the core of the rocky crags we explored, and it was there we were met with a curious sight.

A spirit from the Plane of Eternal Darkness was scrutinizing what could only be described as the summit of magical knowledge. It was a blade, only a blade, buried in the earth as though by an ancient defender of Lore's center. But it was a beautiful instrument. Embedded in its hilt was a sterling ruby, crimson as blood and catching the light so eagerly it illuminated the winged crossguard with a deadly tinge of red. Yellow and silver metals marbled the flat of the blade and glowed with the arcane runes etched across its surface.

However, for all the awe such a weapon inspired, it carried the unmistakable air of death.

Rather than shirking from the resplendent rays- arcing from the blade in its righteous, golden glory- the fiend of darkness only ever drew closer. I fear what could have occurred if the fiend had grasped the blade's handle. Fortunately, we did not allow it such an opportunity, for we struck it down within an instant.

This weapon had already proven itself quite an oddity. It seemed almost otherworldly, as though it traveled from a distant realm to consecrate us in its awesome influence. But then a young Guardian by the name of Valorus approached with the Earth Orb in his hands. The moment the Avatars' power drew near, the sword sprang to life and absorbed the essence of the Elemental Orb. It bonded with it.

It took a great deal of time to test the sword and see how best the Earth Orb could be extracted, but it was during this time that I felt an immeasurable surge in power from the Elemental Orb bound within. Some magical property caused this ungodly weapon to draw even more power from the Elemental Orbs than before- even more than an ordinary human or even the dragons could. Only then did we understand in even the slightest of ways the weight of our situation.

A proposal of absolute inevitability fell from one of the Guardians' lips: what if all of the Elemental Orbs could be housed within the weapon? What if the Elemental Orbs could be forged into a single entity of astronomical potential- an Ultimate Orb- and be focused through the powers of this blade to destroy the Great Darkness forever?

This proposal turned into a theory, and from this theory was borne a ghastly resolution.

I held my tongue. The others would not at all enjoy the thoughts which lingered in my mind. The joy of that primordial darkness which greedily groped for the blade's handle. Our likelihood of finding such a benevolent and terrific blade in our world's depths. The implications of such a weapon existing. I felt the restless rustling of the Elemental Planes in my core, and it did not speak well of the terror we had unearthed.

Once more, my eyes returned to the weapon. Is it not a coincidence that our Lords bestowed to us these coalesced artifacts of the elements in pieces? Is it lunacy to suspect that uniting these wells of power could have less than pleasant implications? It was clear there was some puzzle laid before me by the Avatars, but where to begin?

Then all of the pieces fell into place. It was by will that the elements existed.

It was this revelation that explained how the elements could be both at peace and yet also at eternal war with one another. It was this revelation which inspired the Elemental Avatars to combat the Great Darkness engulfing the dark crevices of the universe. It was this revelation which revealed to me why the Elemental Orbs had been gifted in fragments, and it was for this reason that this awful blade was an object of unforgivable evil.

We live in a world predisposed to chaos. But it is in that chaos which one finds true order- all energies in the endless expanse of our universe uniform in the most absolute form and therefore without will, only order. The struggle of the elements for dominance is not one of dominance at all. It is a struggle to be. A struggle to exist in a world which unquestionably favors a lack in individual existence. How could an act such as creating this Ultimate Orb- representative of similarity and conformity in our world- be any less than evil?

This blade encourages the union of our elements and all which that union implies. It is an abomination, and that is why I have buried the Blade of Awe where none will find it.

If my comrades should find this letter, I offer the most sincere of apologies. But I cannot allow our world to destroy itself for power. We have much to learn from our elements.

Witness Fiweweld's legacy in Rune Knight, He Who Stands Between.

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 12/8/2013 2:41:10 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> DragonFable >> On the Unity of Lorian Elements: A Rune Knight's Ruminations
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition