Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

How to: Balance

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel Balance >> How to: Balance
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10/5/2013 20:05:21   
Stabilis

Before you begin, if you dislike the format of this forum like I do and do not want to read, you can listen to the narration of this post by copy-and-pasting the text into the area of synthesis from THIS text-to-speech speech synthesis program. This is a download, so only use it if you are comfortable doing so.

Hi everyone. I will not be regularly posting in the forums. I am occupied with computer engineering courses and the work that they entail. This specific weekend is easy on me, so I have some time to tend to my issues in this user forum, especially EpicDuel.

From my experience with other online games that are PvP-dynamic
(player against player with the ability to customize [an example of PVP-static is chess]),
the balance in EpicDuel stands out. Unfortunately, not in any way that inspires. That was my opinion, I cannot claim what I just said and prove it without being vague or wasting everyone's time, including me.

I would like to enlighten the user-base here with information. This information is not just applied to EpicDuel, but life. I prefer not to tell people how to think or act, but people can be wrong, and I would like to show you all what logic is when it matters with balance. If you prefer to read from published sources, take a look at this site.

To start off, I am cyclically
(like a weekly schedule)
disappointed whenever I peek at the balance forum in EpicDuel. Whenever I visit not to post, but to read what people are discussing, I sometimes see a thread or post that is full of failure. Now, I do not mean that in a cruel way. I am just being honest. You can post what you like, and I could not be bothered, as it is your right and privilege to post what you want as long as you do not break the rules and get punished for said rule breaks. What does bother me, is when I see someone making a claim based on their opinion or even just a random statement and treating it as a fact without being able to or choosing not to provide evidence. Asserting
(pushing)
statements without proving them, is illogical. Just because someone makes a statement, their statement is not correct.

Example: My dog barks when someone is in the driveway. My dog is barking. Therefore someone is in the driveway. This is bad logic!

That is an example of a logical fallacy. A logical fallacy is the failure of logic. Logic is the reasoning used to determine validity. Validity is the state of being true.

Sometimes my dog barks when dogs are in the backyard. How should I be certain that there were people in the driveway but not dogs in the backyard? The answer is, I do not know. To know, I would have to see for myself what my dog is barking at to know what my dog is barking at. You would be surprised at how gullible people can be when statements are made and people simply obey the statements without ever disagreeing. Be glad that this only applies to people who do not follow the rules of logic. Do not be that gullible person. Unless it does not matter. Like if you are having fun. However, understand that what matters, is what you think matters. What matters is not even what I think matters, or anything and everything your role model thinks matters, if you even have a role model.

Now, in terms of EpicDuel balance, logic is very useful. Logic enables us to get things done, and be able to judge that we did get things done. Without it, you could all be discussing a certain way to buff Cheap Shot, think that the solution is good, send it to the developers, who then implement the change, and surprise surprise... suddenly cheap shot is "overpowered". All because you did not test it or were not critical when discussing the change.

Understand that being critical is not "bad" or "mean". Being critical means to find faults and errors. Being "mean" is completely different. Being "mean" is acting hurtful or careless, especially towards other people. Being critical helps athletes compete with more success, helps engineers and material scientists develop a stronger iPhone, and helps directors get better ratings for their projects. Being critical in EpicDuel balance helps to improve weak ideas or stop any terribly flawed idea from getting into implementation.

Now, arguments. What is an argument? An argument is an opposing reason against another reason. For example, if someone claims that Supercharge is better than Surgical Strike, maybe there is someone who claims that Surgical Strike is better than Supercharge. The person who is pro-Supercharge states that Supercharge has higher damage output when trained to the same level. The person who is pro-Surgical Strike states that rage deduction is a useful tool for stopping players in their tracks. Both arguers gave logical reasons, but neither of them won the argument. Why? Damage output is not equivalent to, or on the same scale as a rage points deduction. Neither skill is "better" than the other. They are simply more useful in different situations. Arguments are not "bad". That is a stereotype, if you ever heard it. Some people are just bad at arguing, or get too emotionally attached and view arguments as a "bad experience". Sometimes people argue for bad reasons. Like, opinions. For example, a couple wants to go out on a date. Person 1 says, "let's go to the boardwalk". Person 2 says, "no, let's go to the movie theatre". Person 1 says, "but I want to go to the boardwalk"! Person 2 says, "but I want to go watch a movie"! Both, were arguing from their own personal interests, and not on facts. This is not an argument, this is an emotionally charged fight. They serve no purpose other than to waste time. These are not useful in EpicDuel balance. Avoid fights, or avoid causing fights intentionally. Unless, you seek danger or attention. If you actively seek danger yet value your own safety, you are an idiot. If you seek attention, you are a troll. Go troll the general discussion. Or another website entirely
(one that I do not use).

Good. We have cleared quite a bit. Now... what do you discuss in the balance forum? Hopefully you are more acquainted with logic by now, so you might be thinking "argue" or "debate" instead of the tossed-around-like-nothing-word: "discuss". We have discussions in EpicDuel balance like anywhere else, but these are special discussions: debates and arguments. If someone makes a logical no-no, prove to them that they are wrong. Disprove them. Show them the flaws in their argument. When you do debate in EpicDuel balance, make claims, and prove them with evidence. A claim is any statement that you say is true, or push to be true. Proving is the act of providing evidence. Evidence is the reasoning you provide to support your claims. Evidence can be math (like arithmetic [1 + 1 = 2]), or something people can sense to know that it exists
(like a bird that people who can see.. actually see).
If evidence does not exist for a claim, that claim is weak, and is open to attack. If people attack your claims and you do not or cannot provide proof, do not feel bad or counterattack, just give your claim up. You can always find a new one with evidence to support it. The burden of proof falls upon anyone who makes a claim. The burden of proof entails that anyone who makes a claim, is responsible to support it, not anyone else. An example of the burden of proof is like this:

I say, "I have a ball behind my back". You say, "prove it". I then show you that I in fact do have a ball that I was hiding behind my back. The burden of proof is complete!

I say, "I have a ball behind my back". You say, "prove it". I do not have a ball behind my back, and attack you by yelling, "YOU CAN'T PROVE THAT I DON'T"! The burden of proof is incomplete. The burden of proof fallacy is one of the many logical fallacies, or failures of logic.

People other than the person making the claim are not responsible for providing evidence to support the claim, the other people are especially not responsible for disproving the claim if it did not have evidence to begin with. The person who did make the claim, should provide evidence, or else they forfeit their claim as nothing more than a blank assertion. However, this does not mean that you should not provide evidence for someone else's claim, if you have it. If you can support someone else's claim with evidence, do so, and then the burden of proof is complete... but the person who made the claim is still bad at debating/arguing. Your ability to provide proof is not to anyone's credit but your own. The claim-maker does not get a piece of your credit, but they can at least be thankful for it.

You may be asking what is meant to be discussed in the balance forum, because I did not give any specific examples. I am not going to give any EpicDuel-specific examples because unfortunately, the information supplied by the Wiki and from the developers is quite limited. Besides, with the information given in this post you should have what you need to know for the next time you go into balance debates and arguments. I would ask the developers for their complete list of battle-related algorithms so that no one is acting on misinformation. If you can, ask one of the staff for the complete structure of a skill, enough structure to simulate any skill on paper, basically.

To conclude with this post, I will provide you with 3 links to multiple logical fallacies. AVOID SPAWNING THEM. This is a link to a list of logical fallacies. For detailed information on a specific fallacy, click on its bubble. This link covers more fallacies. And, this link, covers a large amount of propaganda techniques that people use to manipulate other people, like a conman.

< Message edited by Depressed Void -- 10/5/2013 23:48:12 >
AQ Epic  Post #: 1
10/5/2013 20:13:30   
Ranloth
Banned

This is the greatest thing I've read in a while. (will probably re-read later much more carefully)

People should start taking balance seriously. We are deciding what is changed and it's up to us to decide in what direction the game is heading - balance wise. Many nerfs and buffs were player requests and these are now frowned upon and Devs are blamed for it, despite the fact it's the players wanting change.

As you've mentioned - there is a lot of subjectivity which doesn't do any good and needs to be reduced to minimum. Personal view is welcome, as long as it's backed up with some form of data - and this means facts, not opinion backed up with another opinion.
AQ Epic  Post #: 2
10/5/2013 20:29:46   
Stabilis

Hey Trans, thanks for the feedback and nice to hear from you!
AQ Epic  Post #: 3
10/5/2013 20:49:15   
odsey

As trans said, this is one of the best post in ED, if not in the whole AE forum!

You show a example how to achieve balance without referring to ED but to real life. I see some balance change's could happened because of biased thoughts. You show a example to show is something balance or not with the ball post. Some people wanting to change balance with biased opinions and without proof which sometimes anger me.

I quite enjoyed reading the post and I will read it again because I enjoyed it so much. People should follow this post because this is one of the best post in ED/AE forum

(btw you should get the constructive and creative title being and creating one of the best post in ED/AE forum)
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 4
10/5/2013 20:55:40   
Stabilis

Hahaha, thanks Odsey!
AQ Epic  Post #: 5
10/5/2013 23:06:53   
Mother1

Excellent post Depressed It was definitely worth reading.
Epic  Post #: 6
10/5/2013 23:59:54   
Stabilis

Thanks Mother, I am glad that it was worth your time!
AQ Epic  Post #: 7
10/6/2013 1:52:01   
  Exploding Penguin

Extremely helpful, but sadly enough those who actually need to read this the most will probably not and just abuse their bad posting habits of letting their emotions guide their actions.

I'm seeing lots of empirical logic going on in this thread... nice to see some people know about Theory of Knowledge and can use their knowledge to help those other forum members.
Epic  Post #: 8
10/6/2013 11:53:05   
Stabilis

Glad that you saw what you like, Exploding Penguin.

It is quite true, with all different sorts of personalities, that there will be someone who is not rebellious, but ignorant. And they will continue to push their ideals for others to see. Some other people may unfortunately take in this false information, so it is everyone's job to disprove and disagree with people who are wrong when they are. I might step in on a few threads to see what is going on.
AQ Epic  Post #: 9
10/6/2013 12:06:02   
toopygoo

@E.P.

are you in IB?
AQW Epic  Post #: 10
10/6/2013 22:33:38   
  Exploding Penguin

@toopygoo:

No, I discarded the thought of taking IB because my school's class requirements have notoriously tough teachers which would entirely ruin my overall GPA. However, I still am taking lots of AP and IB classes, I'm just not going for the diploma.

To get back on track, it's quite sad how the forums for many players is just a place to rant, and not a place where actual civilized discussions and debates take place.
Epic  Post #: 11
10/6/2013 22:59:57   
goldslayer1

+1
this is pretty good stuff.

and speaking personalities, i guess being INTJ helps with the analyzing and logic part of things.
Hopefully people get more objective and logical when suggesting ideas.

Off-topic comment removed. ~Mecha

< Message edited by Mecha Mario -- 10/7/2013 18:58:51 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 12
10/7/2013 22:07:52   
toopygoo

@E.P.

ah smart choice :P im sitll full, but really regretting it >.<

and back on topic, i think this thread is well thought out depressed, however, i doubt that there will be anyone other than us more regular "contributors" (i use that term loosely) i wish there was a way to broadcast this, and make this an understanding one has with the forum, before posting rage threads all around :/

all in all, i like it
AQW Epic  Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel Balance >> How to: Balance
Jump to:

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition