Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Skill Tiers is a Flawed Idea

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel Suggestions >> Skill Tiers is a Flawed Idea
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10/6/2013 15:18:21   
Stabilis

As the title says, the use of tiers in skill trees is a full of holes, this is because:

- tiers determine the "assumed power" or efficiency of a skill, imbalancing skills within the same skill tree

- tiers needlessly eat skill points used to achieve skills in different locations of the skill tree

- tiers and prerequisites make a skill tree more complex than it needs to be

There are some things that I like about skill tiers in particular, these are:

- skill tiers open up the skill tree as you grow

- skill tiers add order to the skill tree

I have a solution to the 3 mentioned flaws in skill tiers, here it is:

- skill tiers no longer represent the "power" of skills

- skill points can be allotted without paying into requisite skills

- skill tiers make skills available as the character level increases, simple

- players have 100% control over the skill level of every skill they currently possess

For example, in the following image representation, the player's character level is 1. They get full access to the beginner's set of skills. This means that for the few skills that they have, they can change the skill level of them to any value up to the max... a skill level of 10:

IMAGE1

Just to show a different example, this is the skill tree of someone who is is max level, level 36, with all skill tiers and skills available:

IMAGE2

As you can see, with all skill tiers unlocked, the player has total control of the skill levels of the skills they unlocked. If they wanted to, they could maximize the skill levels of all of their skills. Energy cost is usually the drawback. Sometimes it is the skill requirement.

For each tier, there is going to be a level requirement. We could keep the current level requirements, or we could split the skill tree equally, like tier 2 is level 10, tier 3 is level 20, and tier 4 is level 30. Passive skills ruin balance in this system, and should not be available in the tiers. They should grow separately with the character... if we even keep them.

< Message edited by Depressed Void -- 10/6/2013 17:32:23 >
AQ Epic  Post #: 1
10/7/2013 1:06:04   
  Exploding Penguin

Hmm, possibly supported.

The tiers are actually in itself a way to maintain balance and keep classes unique and interesting. By requiring investment in plasma rain and overload to gain deadly aim, 2 skill points need to be sacrificed for a very useful passive. It's pretty much another tool at the staff's disposal to balance things in a strange but sometimes effective way.

< Message edited by Exploding Penguin -- 10/7/2013 1:07:39 >
Epic  Post #: 2
10/7/2013 2:11:01   
martinsen5

I really like the idea! Should make room for a lot of new builds, however I can imagine a lot of players just maxing out everything, only to find out they can't afford using half of them due to their energy.

It'll also be... quite the challenge for a level 25 to face a lvl 30 as they basically will have unlocked a whole new set of skills that their opponent hasn't. (If we go by the tier system you suggested) Sooo, semi-supported? Probably won't happen though, like any other suggestion ever.
AQW Epic  Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel Suggestions >> Skill Tiers is a Flawed Idea
Jump to:

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition