Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Wish I knew beta like others

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> Wish I knew beta like others
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1/20/2014 20:45:12   
Emperor_Blitz

Man do I wish I mean it would be cool if they just completely restart epicduel all from scratch I mean it would have so many benefits that I could go on for days. Everyone would no about epicduel now. So many players would return and everything. I mean im watching videos on youtube it seems so cool and sad at the same time of old phase and how good it was from what i was hearing. Everyone had fun back then the game was a complete success and it was a very enjoyable game. People would have felt what it was like back then, it was a good feeling. Omega is okay... but not as good as i thought it would be.

Many people joined when omega started. Im 100% positive that they would want to go back and knew about this game because all the other phases were very very enjoyable. I mean the game kind of is sometimes still enjoyable but not as much as it was before. So many people would enjoy it that i couldnt count up to that number lol. This game is not as enjoyable as it was before people getting slaughtered because everyone is techmage or whatever class is Op atm. I mean can't you see that. I remember it beta when support tech mages were there ahhh the good old days. Man i just wish they could restart all of epicduel it would be a complete success and im pretty sure other people would think the same.
Epic  Post #: 1
1/20/2014 20:48:53   
Xendran

To be fair, beta had some extreme balance issues in it, it was just a more fun environment to play in overall.
The fact that players like me and Dax were creating 98%+ builds is pretty telling of how broken it was.

Still, it WAS the most fun phase.
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 2
1/20/2014 22:17:54   
Remorse

It was the variety, creativity and the need for precision that made me really enjoy beta having 1 or 2 more or less energy could make or break a build.

To be honest the balance issues of the time didn't phase me because it was just fun.

Something that is missing now and is hard to describe.
But I belive omega shows promise, ignoring omegas bad balanced weeks omega actually starts to shows great variety something that I hadn't seen since beta.

Gamma and delta was actually declining times for me by the end of delta it was pretty much unbearable.

What I will say is this omega could be 1 major balance and mechanic overhaul from being amazing and it is just a matter of time for the devs to get it right.
Epic  Post #: 3
1/20/2014 22:30:33   
Mother1

To be honest even though I wasn't around in Beta the only thing I can see different between then and now is that Beta had far less content no focus, and the evolved classes never weren't born yet.

How beta was I will never know myself, but like Every phase there was their share of problems.
Epic  Post #: 4
1/20/2014 22:44:23   
edwardvulture

The game was just more fun before stat diminishments.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 5
1/20/2014 23:13:54   
Pemberton

No use dwelling in the past. The biggest mistake the devs made was angering the paying customers by removing varium advantage.
Varium weapons purchased with varium became the same as non-varium weapons, enhancements which cost 1700 varium was deleted and refunded for 15%.
Promos is the only advantage, but the varium itself has no use.
Post #: 6
1/20/2014 23:31:04   
Xendran

quote:

The biggest mistake the devs made was angering the paying customers by removing varium advantage.

Completely incorrect. The biggest mistake they ever made was having a varium advantage in the first place. There is a MASSIVE stigma against pay2win currently, especially in the western market and this game would be even more dead than it currently is if the varium advantage was still so ridiculous.

It prevented a lot of potential players from even checking the game out. Once a player hears a game is pay2win and they don't like pay2win, they aren't ever going to check that game out again so even with pay2win being lessened (and stil not removed like promized) the game isn't going to get those potential players back.

< Message edited by Xendran -- 1/20/2014 23:37:02 >
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 7
1/20/2014 23:34:02   
GearzHeadz

I completely agree on that.
DF AQW Epic  Post #: 8
1/20/2014 23:40:06   
Pemberton

A small varium advantage with a 5-10% advantage would be better than what the Devs did.
DO you think this game would even survive if it did not have varium advantage to begin with? Nope.
This game only got this far because of founders, beta and varium supporters who funded the game.
Post #: 9
1/20/2014 23:45:39   
Xendran

quote:

DO you think this game would even survive if it did not have varium advantage to begin with? Nope.
This game only got this far because of founders, beta and varium supporters who funded the game.

You need to study marketing properly if you believe that people will only pay for an advantage. Single-payment and cosmetic/convenience microtransactions are the way to succeed.
This game would be vastly more successfull if they intelligently designed the microtransactions system for cosmetics.

Limit the best looking gear to varium, allow varium users greater color selection with their gear, allow varium only vendbots in players houses, etc.

Adding an advantage is actually pretty horrible to a game and almost always guarantees failure unless we're talking about korean-style grindfest MMO's that are not 2d pure-pvp flash games. Even then, they lose a very large amount of the western market by offering pay2win.
A substantial amount of players will consider paying for an upgrade in a game and then actually back down and leave the game when they see that there is pay2win.

< Message edited by Xendran -- 1/20/2014 23:47:19 >
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 10
1/20/2014 23:49:08   
Pemberton

Hindsight is 20/20 Mr. Xendran. You didn't even answer my simple question.
I don't think micro-cosmetics will work for this game in particular.
Post #: 11
1/20/2014 23:57:32   
Xendran

This game would have survived, but you must know how to INTELLIGENTLY design microtransactions in order to do it. This games microtransactions and itemization are both very poorly designed and thought out.
It's not a matter of hindsight being 20/20 and not being able to know this at the time of the game's conception, but a matter of poor marketing research when it comes to this specific type of game and the audience it attracts vs the audience that is attracted by pay2win microtransactions.

They also had the chance to revert their massive pay2win substantially earlier as a form of damage control, but they left it for so long that the number of players who saw it was pay2win and decided to never look at the game again is so high that the game is not even remotely close to as popular as it could have been. This is not just me spewing random opinions, this is what i've learned from years of marketing classes and research. I'm a game developer myself, and I'm head of both mechanics design & balance and marketing, so these are things i have to know. These are things the developers should have put more time and effort into knowing before they got themselves into the position they are currently in.
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 12
1/21/2014 0:50:19   
Altador987

honestly Beta was so imbalanced when it came to just varium vs nonvarium i feel like one really couldn't worry about balance the way we pick it apart nowadays, as a nonvarium player i was too busy trying to beat ridiculously advantaged players with flat out horrid builds that literally only worked due to the massive advantages given to worry about "balance" as a whole but i must admit it was quite an accomplishment to beat out a varium player especially the ones that knew what they were doing because that meant you had better strategy
AQW Epic  Post #: 13
1/21/2014 1:18:11   
Remorse

^
It wasn't that much of an advantage in early beta,
Pre enhancements the advantage wasn't that huge, far smaller then gamma and delta anyway.

Point is I don't think you should downgrade beta with something that was actully far worse in other phases.
If anything beta should be comended for having a small gap compared to post enhancements.
Epic  Post #: 14
1/21/2014 1:23:06   
Xendran

I'd actually single it down to a single point in time: Varium wasn't that much of an advantage until Frostbane.
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 15
1/21/2014 1:45:03   
Altador987

i was still a lower level on my first account so varium tended to make or break 2v2 matches (this was like lvl 20 when players were first getting an aux) and i also simply didn't know the game as well as i do now
AQW Epic  Post #: 16
1/21/2014 17:07:27   
lionblades

Yes I wish I played during Beta. but Gamma was a great phase too. I loved when Merc had that skill passive that could switch the defense or resistance (forgot what it was called )
AQW  Post #: 17
1/21/2014 17:42:19   
GearzHeadz

It was in place of hybrid armor, I remember it too. One thing I liked about beta was that new players started off with a small amount of varium.
DF AQW Epic  Post #: 18
1/21/2014 17:50:17   
Remorse

It was still called hybrid armour.
It started with +12/13 defense and you could switchtto to res for no cost or cool down.
Epic  Post #: 19
1/21/2014 17:51:40   
Ranloth
Banned

I think it was +10 at the time, and then it was buffed between +11 and +13 even. The only cost for the change was turn cost - it was always Physical, and you could switch to Energy if needed.
AQ Epic  Post #: 20
1/21/2014 17:53:03   
NDB

It had that effect all the way until early Delta, so it wasn't just Beta.

< Message edited by NDB -- 1/21/2014 17:55:04 >
Epic  Post #: 21
1/21/2014 18:23:46   
Buffy A. Summers

Many Of You Have Either Forgotten Or Are Unaware What Made Beta So Great.

It Was The Personality. The Community.

It Had Little To Do With The Latest Build Or Stats.

EpicDuel Had So Much Potential And Interaction Then. Nightwraith And Titan Actually Would Visit In Game And Communicate With The Players In The Forums.

Many Players Were Doing All They Could To Make A Name For Themselves And Faction Competition Was Extremely Fierce.

The Old ED Forum Was Much More Edgy And Far Less Censored.

There Was An Attitude And Swagger To Some Of The True Legends Of The Game Back Then. It Was A Glorious Time.

There Was Also A Lot Of Hope And Faith In Both The Promises And Potential Growth Of The Game To Come.

Sadly, Many Of Those Old Players Who Literally Helped Create This Game With Their Blood, Sweat, Tears And Dollar Support Are Long Gone.

The Reason For That Is A Story For Another Day Perhaps.

What Made Beta So Awesome, Wasn't About The Skill Trees Or Class Builds. It Was The Attitude, Personality And Community That Was Being Established Back Then.

The Friendships And Rivalries That Were Built And The Fun We Had Doing It.

~ Buffy

< Message edited by Buffy A. Summers -- 1/21/2014 18:24:56 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 22
1/21/2014 19:53:39   
Pemberton

^This.
Post #: 23
1/21/2014 20:07:34   
Xendran

quote:

It was still called hybrid armour.
It started with +12/13 defense and you could switchtto to res for no cost or cool down.

Before even that old hybrid was Iron Skin. I don't remember the specifics of it, but it was the prececessor to Hybrid Armour.
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 24
1/21/2014 21:09:30   
Remorse

^True but I think that was alpha time?
Same time as diamond blades wasn't it?
Epic  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> Wish I knew beta like others
Page 1 of 212>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition