Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Omega and the fallacies with going back to previous phases

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> Omega and the fallacies with going back to previous phases
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2/18/2014 13:12:35   
Ranloth
Banned

First of all, follow the rules. Devs don't delete the bad stuff about the game, but rather the Forum AKs/Mods if rules aren't followed. Also, the post will be split into two sections: Omega and why "bring x phase back" won't work.

Omega is far from being over, but there are still things which are yet to be implemented - as it was promised upon its release. People got their hopes up, and ended up being disappointed because it wasn't what they were expecting.

It's not a perfect phase. We've had a lot of downs, compared to ups. [1] Flawed stat progression at the beginning of Omega, when Str and Support builds were running amok + the HP (and EP) nerf. [2] Imbalanced cores due to lack of EP cost, which was corrected months later. [3] Lackluster releases, in terms of content and balance - due to other projects taking priority (not necessarily good for the game).
Then there was change from passives to actives, which players were afraid of - and some did see why it was done -, especially due to already low playerbase. The change wasn't as bad as I've personally expected, but there were also quite flaws, when [4] some passives were severly underpowered, and [5] Str and Support builds were running amok once again, due to many nerfs here and there.

Going back to promises, some did go through quite well. No restrictions on equipment, which allows easier build creation, but at the same time, it's easier to abuse builds. Having said that, it does promote diversity due to lesser amount of restrictions, but it's players' choice to abuse the mainstream builds or be creative - something that is out of Devs' control.

Of course, having all weapons be the same isn't necessarily that good. Some items lost their value, especially if they are coreless weapons, and you could say that ED was "AQW'fied", but not exactly. Personally, I'm 50/50 about it and suggested different weapon leans just to make some builds more diverse, and give a small incentive to buy more weapons - instead of constant retrains here and there, or other weapon having core which works better with build y than build x.

Removal of P2W advantage has also been a step forward. Players decide whether they want to spend money, instead of being forced to do so, just to be able to compete - and not be a punching bag. For a business, it's a crucial step forward, because not everyone like being forced to spend money or suffering, or even quitting, but want to buy a small amount of Varium as a test and then see if they like it.

On the other hand, there are plenty of disappointments when it comes to what was promised. I was looking forward to new cores, and - as it stands - I am still greatly disappointed many cores were put onto promotional weapons (self explanatory), but the ones available in-game are lacking. Sometimes, there are coding issues in the way (see: Dead Battery), but balancing them is also an issue. At the same time, basic cores don't require that extensive testing - such as pure damage boost. Xendran's thread has many cores, and some are very basic and simple to balance - and these would be perfect, for the time being, to fill in the niche.
Some poor balance decisions are also not-so-good and could've been carried out better. One could be a bit more testing for 'passives to actives' and making the new actives a bit more creative, rather than being somewhat bland in terms of effect.

Onto bringing the older phases back. Yes, people don't like the change and yes, you cannot please everyone. Devs and players should be very much aware of this by now. But what will bringing back the old phases do? Are those supporting the cause, expect players to flock back to ED?

Removal of P2W advantage: This was one of the turn-offs for players, and they ended up quitting because of it. Linking back to the above, removal of the advantage was a business decision and Devs were very much aware it will cause players to quit. Going back to P2W era will NOT bring players back. Why? Some players enjoy not being forced to buy Varium - unless it's a promo advantage for a year (which may be overpowered) - and it may result in pushing even more players away.

Enhancements: Removal of enhancements - which is essentially same as above - did not get positive reactions from everyone. They were Varium hogs as well, which wasn't really perfect, and enhancing with Credits was a disaster. This is one of the reasons why I prefer current weapon system - which is all weapons being the same. The refund was also low*, which was one of the turn-offs for many players as well. In fact, this was likely the biggest turn-off for players, not the Omega release itself.
Fun fact: Upon Arcade's re-release, NightWraith has spoken with players in-game, and they've asked if we really liked these old enhancements. Players did want them back, and they are back - it's called Legendary Mode; you pay Credits/Varium and upgrade your items, but this time, you work for it as well.

Old features: Not everyone liked those, and not everyone like the current ones either. You cannot please everyone, but the game has to go forward - not back. Some changes are perceived as going back, but that's players' opinions and not Devs' view on the game. After all, it's their vision of EpicDuel, not the players'.

Temporary removal of NPCs: Many players didn't like this either, but it was justified by ED being a PvP game, not PvE. They have counted as PvP wins in the past, and some players - even though NPCs are back now - dislike the fact they cannot get near perfect ratio due to lack of P2W advantage and NPCs not counting as PvP wins. Rest assured, they are back, have their own column, and there's a daily limit to them.

Even if you reverse all these changes, players will not come back. What would get them back is a 100% refund, which AE would never give (+ you've agreed to it upon registering to the game), and being able to win a lot more, due to F2P players being punching bags. People dislike paying and being on par with those who've never paid, but Varium serves as a shortcut now and it does give you temporary power advantage - farming Credits takes time and you may lose a lot more, compared to those who pay and have Varium to purchase exclusive cores (promos) and upgrade items to their level with little to no effort.

* We are NOT eligible for any refund from Artix Entertainment. Have you read the Terms and Conditions, you would be aware of this. This includes removal of a paid feature - this is also covered in the T&C under changing players' experience of the game.

Keep it civil. It won't get taken down as long as it won't end up in pure complaint thread, because it isn't. Players have created plenty of these kind of threads, they went sorta viral, and got taken down due to the vast majority not following the rules - and not Devs being "scared to face the truth"...
AQ Epic  Post #: 1
2/18/2014 14:05:06   
Scyze

One of the things I like about Omega is the amount of things being put in. I think Omega has had the most amount of stuff being added, but players say they are bad because they are still believing that we are in the previous phases. Omega is something new, it's something where we are getting more content, but the story itself is lacking. I understand that Big Tuna has left, Cinderella isn't available anymore (will be available in the future), but I still think the Developers can make a better story. However, EpicDuel is a PvP game, so maybe the story shouldn't be developed as much as I want it to.

The Dread War is something I don't understand, at all. Why am I really fighting? If my alignment wins, what does my alignment win? Nothing, I suppose, considering to what happened in the past. Yes, giving out gear will be something we get from the victory, but this isn't a good reward as in Omega, every Weapon is the same, compared to its type - in the past, it wouldn't be the same as you could have items giving a fixed stat boost, which differed from other Weapons.

Something needs to be done with having high HP. Maybe a rework in the way our defenses work, or the amount of damage we deal.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
2/18/2014 14:28:33   
Xendran

quote:

Something needs to be done with having high HP. Maybe a rework in the way our defenses work,

Logarithmic percentage based reductions.
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 3
2/18/2014 14:38:05   
comicalbike

high hp is bad as it is but the testers must have reported it so we wait in hope

Epic  Post #: 4
2/18/2014 14:46:02   
Mother1

Hey trans here is another one that you missed

The promise of not returning rare items back to the game and the promise of not devaluing old rares.

That promise was broken as well when they brought back the Azreal's borg, as well as changed it rarity along with the bio borg's and Pyro fly's.

Seriously they could have easily did as they promised which was make a second version of the item that does the same thing if they wanted variety to increase while leaving the first one rare which in turn would have made both groups of people happy.
Epic  Post #: 5
2/18/2014 14:52:11   
Ranloth
Banned

@Mother1
I have missed it on purpose. These Bots were marked as Seasonal Rare upon their release, then changed into Rare, and now Limited Rare - just like Azrael's Berg. ED Wiki can clarify this.

It's something I didn't want to include, because my opinion is split on it and facts show that it was Seasonal, then permanent Rare and now Limited (essentially, Seasonal again).

But yeah, I approve of making a copy of those Bots - even if exactly the same - but preserves the original rarity. Let's not go too far into the Suggestions area either, but there's a valid point being made, yeah.
AQ Epic  Post #: 6
2/21/2014 16:07:38   
s0u1ja b0y

The reason they probably didn't make a copy is because they would have to for pretty much every item from past except phase items.
Epic  Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> Omega and the fallacies with going back to previous phases
Jump to:

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition