Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

He Waits Dreaming.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> AdventureQuest Worlds >> He Waits Dreaming.
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3/1/2014 21:17:08   
Alastair Q

From outside the physical realm, his voice now calls.
Through Time's expanse, his call echoes for all to hear, whether they be strong or weak, disciplined or chaotic, cultured or primal.
Even when Lore herself shudders as Chaos' strangehold increases with each passing day, something stirs in the ether. Ever since Swordhaven fell into ruin following the Hero's climactic and tragic battle with the Chaos-bloated Dragon and even the late King Alteon himself, unease and suspicion have filtered into Oaklore, with effects on both the realms of the physical and the realms of the mind.
Oracles present in the area detect a malign presence, carrying hints of non-human origin, yet with psychic power unparalleled by those save for the Blue Mage and the Mad Weaponsmith themselves - those brave enough to attempt to link with the mind find themselves plunged into insanity or desiccated by crimson flames.
The Mages of Arcangrove tell of a shift in the Para-Elemental Plane; large amounts of mana are being directed by some unknown force, and siphoned in great quantities to the coasts of Thunderforge. For what purpose, no-one knows.
In Thunderforge, the situation grows dire - the skies above crackle with the energy of nascent thunder, emboldened by raw, undiluted mana. Waters bubble and hiss, and the inhabitants of Falguard grow brooding and morose, waiting and anticipating the dire events that will surely befall them.
In haste and fear, Empress Gravelyn and the de facto King of Swordhaven, Brendan of the Neverglades, have arranged a private meeting in the Ruins of the Neverglades, to discuss away from prying ears what must be done about this new threat.
Both must know what to do - mustn't they?

Chapter I

The pattering of unseen feet, the whispering wind wailing, all these sounds accompany the long-forgotten Ruins.
Here, neither Man nor Nature rule, it is a place devoid of life, outside interference and outside the petty, trivial wars of all the mortal realms. This place has survived when others have not, and though tarnished with the stains of past crimes, it stood proud when Gilead fell, it stood still when Sepulchure's Fortress fell from the skies, and still stood solemn as Swordhaven burnt to the ground.
Corrupted with the stain of darkness not from this realm, the Ruins had held steadfast through successive attempts to civilize the area; it was only when King Alteon saw his Knights could not purify the detestable place that he withdrew from the area, leaving the darkness to simmer and fester alone. The only things awaiting here are silence and shadows.

"A fine place, then, to speak without spies." thought Empress Gravelyn, leaning quiet and thoughtful upon one of the pillars of the accursed place, clutching a holy dagger to dispel away the darkness of the night.
"Where is that Brentan?" she thought. She had a battlefield to fight on, soldiers to command and a Champion to pull down from his blasphemous throne. She had no time for half-truths and rumors of something from beyond, but just this once, she was willing to investigate.
"If he continues his absence, I will -" Her thoughts were interrupted by a very different sound from behind. This footfall, lacking in the grace and demeanor of the strange animals here, rose and fell, stumbled through loose dirt and cracked twigs beneath, and all in all, it was nor surprising for Gravelyn to turn, sword drawn to find a most ghastly figure, not unlike the King she held an uneasy alliance with.
Brentan, for all his faults and idiosyncrasies, once held great potential as King of Swordhaven, and had King Alteon lasted just a while longer, it is possible that perhaps the kingdom may have fared better. Alas, it did not.
His armor, once proud and gleaming, held pallid and lifeless to world-weary limbs, rusted and dented not by the fires of battle, but from age and misuse, almost falling apart, but just holding together through virtue of its craftsmanship. His (perhaps) charming features now held a certain anemic disposition Gravelyn was unnerved by, with skin stretched taut over bone, hair unruffled and unkempt, and perhaps most disturbing of all, the King (or so he called himself) muttered and whispered to himself as he walked, caring not for any other presence save his own. Eyes darted left and right, clouded with a paranoia quite unlike the Brentan of old, and in sporadic moments, his reverie would be punctuated with little bursts of anger; it is unclear whether it is grief which has driven him into this sordid state.
His stature carried with it an aura of growing malice, and from a distance, Gravelyn may not have even told him apart from any half-sane Oracle sent mad by the revelations this world held for the naive and priggish.
Arriving before her, Brentan acknowledged her with a nod of his head and a hand upon the handle of his sword.

"Must you be so late?" inquired Gravelyn, her tone sharp and biting.

"Of course not." retorted Brentan. "I had... business to attend to."
Even his voice came across as warped, never quite mastering sentences, instead choosing to muddle intonation and pronunciation with a tint of madness.
"Now, we both know why are here. There is something, something, something upon the outskirts of the Thunderforge, and from what I have heard, the presence grows with power each day. If we do not do something soon, its power may, given enough time... eclipsse both our own. And I - I cannot allow such a t-t-thing to happen." Brentan just about said.

"I cannot afford to sacrifice troops for this endeavour - you and I both need as much manpower as we can get so the Hero is able to defeat Drakath and bring the presence of Chaos to the end it must receive." replied Gravelyn.

"Then... why do we not simply send one man?" said Brentan.

"One man?"

"One - one man. One agent of the realm, to be transported into Thunderforge with the express purpose of finding out just who or what this source is, and eventually find a way to terminate this threat to our existence for good."

Now, Brentan appeared to be more alert, striding to the left and to the right, his body thrumming with newborn energy, though whether this is due to the risks of this incursion into Darkblood territory, or simply his growing loss of sanity remains to be discerned. Gravelyn nodded at his proposal, before of course, providing her feedback.

"Now, where would we find this one person? Who could possibly carry the fortitude to penetrate into a realm of evil?
The Hero is away fighting Chaos, as is Victoria -"

"Do NOT mention that traitorous fiend!" interrupted Brentan.

"She is a pretender to a throne that is rightfully mine, all after Brittany, oh, sweet Brittany, was taken from me by His tainted hand. Do not mention her once more."

"If you insist. Who do you suggest we send?" asked Gravelyn.

"I do not know."

"You do not know?"

"I do not know."

"Then why am I - no, why are we both here?
If we cannot even choose one soldier to investigate this threat, why are we not both helping rebuild our kingdoms?"

"Because there is something I did not tell you, Gravelyn. It is I who will be volunteering for this." announced Brentan.

"You?"

"Yes."

"You?"

"Yes. Is this a problem?" said Brentan, matter of fact.

"Of course this is a problem! Swordhaven is bad enough after Drakath's meddling, but with the absence of a ruler, anarchy will most certainly consume the city!"

"And it has not already? I have Tara to rule over; she will be a nice leader until I return."

"You are trusting a child? A child with the ability to summon dragons against those she loathes?!"

"Yes. Is this a problem?"

"You must be foolish to think your city - well, supposedly your city, will fare well without a fair ruler. You are truly mad, to think one like Tara can keep the city together."

"Oh, ye of little faith. Why not take risks?"

Aggravated by Brentan, Gravelyn restrained herself from returning to Shadowfall, and so retained her calm composure.
"Brentan, you must stay in Swordhaven. Keep the place running until Drakath is defeated - then we will sort the matter of who is the rightful ruler of Swordhaven."

"Nonsense. I will go, I must. For the glory of Swordhaven!" shouted Brentan in fervent passion, looking out at nothing which he thought to be everything.

"And to think I arranged this; it is clear I should have spoken to Vi-"

"Do NOT mention her!" roared Brentan, fueled with anger and now lunging towards Gravelyn with sword in hand.
Deflecting the clumsy blow, Gravelyn returned with swift, sharp swifes, managing to inflict benign damage to Brentan's armor and leaving shallow grooves upon the chestplate.
Analyzing and inspecting for signs of weakness, Gravelyn lunged with startling alacrity at Brentan's exposed neck, hoping to bring the battle to a standstill.
Brentan surges backwards, the sword missing his neck by inches, and filled with rage, he ran towards Gravelyn, sword clutched with two hands.
He slashes at her once more, but the Empress is ready and parries his blows successfully and succinctly. Lunging forwards, her sword draws fresh blood; a little scratch, and all she has done is anger Brentan. Not expecting further reprisals, Gravelyn moves for the knockout - only to have a shield impact her face, stunning her momentarily.
Dazed and confused, it was through a mixture of sheer fortitude and luck that she blocked Brentan's sword swings, keeping herself safe from imminent death. Smashing down onto Gravelyn, he swung his sword in wide, haphazard arcs, slamming the weapon down onto her armor and pummeling her into submission - or so he thought.
Unbeknwonst to him, his attack had little effect on Gravelyn's resolve, and though her burgundy armor crumpled under the pressure, it still held steadfast, and so with deft agility, Gravelyn flicked Brentan off his legs and so sent him sprawling face-first into the dirt.
Ready to teleport him back into his ruined palace, Gravelyn moved to apply the proper incantations, but before she could do so, an unknown presence crashed into her side, causing her to lose her balance and fall to the ground.
Rising unsteadily, Gravelyn was sent back once more, this time clutching her sword and ready to face this new threat. Gazing upon the beast, she took the time to inspect it as Brentan defended himself, gibbering all the way and slashing wildly.
The beast towered both her and the gaunt King, skin black as the darkest twilight. The only semblance of color upon the beast was the blood-red of its claws and the white glint of unnatural eyes, and the body of the beast was rippled with cords of unnatural muscle, absorbing the little light which shone upon the ruins.
Rows of teeth about the mouth clinked and rattled together as the creature inhaled and exhaled, parting to reveal the mouth as the daemon roared with a cry capable of curdling even the most stalwart warrior's blood.
Atop its head, two curved horns gleamed with wicked purpose, the midnight skin writhing and twisting with unnatural movement as i something was waiting to burst out at her and Brentan. With not a moment to spare, Gravelyn prepared her hex.
Hurling arcane magics, Gravelyn ignited the epidermis of the beast with blinding fire, sending it into temporary convulsions as Brentan hacked at the daemon's back. Rising back up to its feet, the beast shook off the worst of its wounds as it reconstituted before her eyes, and lifted Brentan up with one hand clutching his throat.
"R-release me!" choked Brentan, struggling to breathe.
Inspecting him in return, the dark monster looked at his countenance, visibly disappointed with the so-called King; muttering in an indecipherable tongue, the beast threw him slightly to the side, knocking him to the ground with ease and cackling at its inferior opponents.
Howling with pride, the daemon strode towards Gravelyn, equally battered, but not out of the fight just yet.
Preparing to harness her powers, Gravelyn once more muttered the proper spells and let out a blinding volley of pristine light, the rays encapsulating the beast fully and utterly. Focusing the might of her arcane powers, the Empress honed the rays into the center of the daemon's chest, dark flesh burning faster than it could remain whole.
Roaring with pain, the beast sent a dark volley of projectiles towards her, ceasing Gravelyn's attacks, and now it was charging towards her - only for it to stop dead in its tracks.
Gravelyn paused, only to notice that where the creature's chest was, there now remained a sword stuck through it - Brentan's sword.
Looking down at a wound which by all rights, should have killed the foul entity, the daemon laughed. It laughed as it pulled the sword from its crevice and shattered it into pieces, this time turning at incalculable speed and attacking Brentan.
Brentan had no hope; the beast was faster, stronger, and by all means smarter than him, but Gravelyn came prepared.
Clutching her holy dagger, she knew she had one chance only - and so it was she leapt atop the creature's back, stabbing and plunging her knife deeper into muscle and sinew.
Screaming with pain, the beast attempted to shake her off its back to no avail, wailing as the weapon seared and caused irreparable damage, weakening the monster until at last, it was no more, and so slumped onto weary knees, sighing with the weight of defeat.
Wasting no time, Gravelyn drove her sword through the weakened daemon's head, sending it scattering in a cloud of darkness which dissipated into the air.
Sighing as her body groaned with dull pain, she turned to find Brentan on his knees, pleading to some outside force she could not detect.

"Bring her back! Please - bring her to me." he cried, tears running down his face.
All at once, she felt a twinge of pity for this fallen warrior - such an aspiring ruler should not be reduced to moments of weakness like this. Placing one hand atop his head, Gravelyn applied the proper incantations and sent him back into Swordhaven.

"Oh, he'll be angry - now the question remains, who will investigate the presence?" thought Gravelyn.

Before she left, she noticed a glowing red rune on one on the ancient pillars - presumably the source of this creature's presence, and so it was she educed the pillar and its foul hex into dust with a flick of her fingers.
Satisfied with her work, she transported herself back into her fallen fortress, contemplating alone who must return to Thunderforge and do what must be done.

Many miles away, Thunderforge has reached a booming crescendo.
The thunder and lightning above roar and spit with incalculable levels of energy, coalescing and amalgamating as more and more mana pours from the Plane of Magic.
Inside Falguard, Commander Madra's Seer observes the phenomenon happening before his eyes, feeling powerless to stop events unfolding in front of him.
Suddenly, the collection of energy above the skies and within the clouds wavers slightly, growing erratic and unstable in movement. Moving to alert his superiors, it was to the Darkblood Seer's surprise that the Presence now spoke to him.

"The walls betwixt reality and my prison are beginning to weaken, at long last."
The Order thought they could keep me imprisoned - but no mortal, not even those adept in that hallowed Light will stand proud against my might!
Now, my time grows near. If there is a message I must give, it is this.
In the past, I fell and they rose; now I rise and they fall, as decay spreads over the tottering cities of Men.

Collapsing into convulsions, the Seer now trembles, muttering half-truths and half-lies, but to the Darkblood, their scryer has all but become unhinged.

< Message edited by Alastair Q -- 5/26/2014 5:30:40 >
AQW  Post #: 1
3/10/2014 15:28:10   
Alastair Q

Chapter II

Falguard trembles.
Darkness falls.
Nightmares rise.

Returning to her sanctum sanctorum in unhallowed Shadowfall, Gravelyn rests.
After the battle in the ruins and Brentan's actions, she sought to have nothing to do with the foul worm at all, lest she begin to feel sympathy for the bedraggled fool. Once, she did feel such a thing, soon after the death of his bride, Brittany, at the hands of the corrupted monster that was once King Alteon. It was heartbreaking to see such a love rise and fall so quickly, yet sympathy turned to concern, and concern turned to anger as Brentan attempted a coup d'etat on the Palace of Swordhaven, soon after the Hero left to chase down the Twins and bring an end to this madness.
The Loyalists still linked to King Alteon never stood a chance - allying with the very marauders he sought to fight against, promising them wealth and fortune should they carry out his plan, Brentan laid siege to the palace. For interminable days and nights, the Royal Dragoons, the Battlemages, even the Knights fought to the last man, all to no avail. Those who did survive fled into the forests, or have simply disappeared.
Brentan slaughtered the very men who helped him soon after, and now he sits upon his golden throne, sullen and brooding, on the precipice of madness, the fingertip of insanity.
It is obvious that Brentan cannot be fully trusted, if trusted at all, for the ravages of madness had truly overtaken him, and nothing short of a miracle could change that.
"But where would the miracle come from?" thought Gravelyn.
Whatever gods there were, they all seemed either embroiled in their petty feuds or largely indifferent to our plight, save for those holding nothing but malice towards mankind.
The only one who possessed such evil was sealed away once more, left to rot and wither in the Void by the forces of Light.
Left pondering what to do, it was many an age that Gravelyn spent on her throne, in the silence of the dead and the sleeping.

Screaming and cursing, it took many Renegade Knights to keep Brentan from his vices.
"Release me! Release me at once!" shouted Brentan, his voice now a roaring din among what was once a proud and mighty throne room. Holding him until he had at last calmed down, the Knights let him go, leaving him to explain his case.
"From - from the Ruins, there rose a daemon of the most tenebrous darkness, a vile, filthy creature I sought to vanquish. I fought and Gravelyn fought and we both fought with all our might, but it was for naught. The beast was almost upon us. With my last ounces of strength, I delivered a mortal blow to the creature, or so I thought.
The mortal blows of men are but scratches on these malodorous monsters, and soon I was myself flung many a yard back, incapacitated and defenceless.
Gravelyn took the victory that should have been mine and slew the beast in front of me, then transported myself here, to this abominable excuse for a royal palace!"

"But my lord -" one of the Knights interrupted.
"Without her aid, you would not be here to spin your yarn. And as for the palace, this was Chaos' work, for no ordinary man could do so much damage and leave so little standing."
Brentan said nothing. Instead, he examined the man, inspecting his armor and eyes with precision and vigor.
Face expressionless and mind scattered, it was of little surprise that Brentan would pummel the man to the floor, cracking his visor before being taken away once more.

"You do not insult your King! Release me! You nim-rods, you -"

His voice was cut off as the Knights sealed him away, leaving him to calm down until he was ready to take the mantle of King once more.
Returning to the main throne room, it was now the men began to talk.

"What will we do?" asked one voice. "He grows more inane and inarticulate with each passing day, our concerns ignored and brushed aside for naive, simplistic promises of vengeance. King Alteon may have had his faults, but he did a fine job at ruling this land - something Brentan has yet to live up to."

"Brentan is the only choice we have!" shouted another. "Do you think any of our other "nobility" could rule?
The half-clod Sir Roderick? The childish Princess Tara? The obfuscating Victoria? Could any of them even begin to fix the damage done? No, they cannot, for they are only out for themselves -

"That's not true -", shouted one Knight.

"Oh, it is!" shouted another.

"Enough!" shouted the largest of the Knights. "Can't you see he is a lost cause? Whatever noble intentions Brentan may have had, he has long lost them. And unless we want ourselves to lose ours, we... we must go. Away from Swordhaven and towards those who need help against Chaos.
I know and understand how hard it will be for us to leave here. This is our town, our home... but that idyllic land was lost long ago. Swordhaven has fallen, but it will rise in the future. Until then, our minds and hearts do not belong here, and are better spent somewhere else."

One by one, the knights turn from the lusterless throne, their footsteps echoing out into the city.

Observing the city and yet invisible to mortal eye, the Presence is satisfied with itself.

The first seeds are set... the reaping is soon to come.

< Message edited by Alastair Q -- 5/25/2014 21:03:40 >
AQW  Post #: 2
5/18/2014 14:32:37   
Alastair Q

Chapter III

Madness - a revealing condition
Baring the self
And splitting the soul.

"I - I saw Him! I saw Him, in all his hideous glory!" babbled the Seer.
Commander Madra and several of the Falguard Dreadwatch take the broken Darkblood into the city dungeon, the Seer struggling and writhing as if to escape from an unknown presence.
"Ancient and timeless, rippled and brooding, He is not silent as he was before! The waters are eddying, the winds are howling and the storms are roaring above us - He is making himself known to all!"
Shouting all to himself, the Seer did not break speech even as the party entered the dungeon. He did not quiet himself as the chains were wrapped around his legs and arms, keeping him secure against a cell wall. Rattling against the restraints, the Seer struggled and lashed out in an attempt to break free, his resolve never faltering even as the rest of the Dreadwatch filtered out and only he and Commander Madra were left in the farthermost room alone, even as the minutes shifted into hours, he continued.
Soon fatigue would impact his body, and in time, he waned and ceased to move, his cries all but muted deep within Falguard's prison.
Commander Madra rose from her seat, noting her surroundings before quizzing the hapless denizen.
The cell was cuboid in constitution, grey faded walls surrounding her from all four sides, with only a solitary window from above the prisoner allowing moonlight to filter in. Herself, she was rather morose - unnaturally so even for a Darkblood, even after her race's victory against Lionfang's Chaotic Crusade and the gifts that the Mother bestowed upon the entirety of the land. How was it that their own Seer, perhaps one of the most psychically-attuned individuals in the whole land, resistant to mental warfare, was so easily... broken by such a rapid turn of events. She was determined to solve the mystery, though getting answers out of him now would be easier said than done.

"Who - or what, is this "Presence" you speak of?" asked Madra

"The Presence... is not something anyone can fully comprehend; no king, no beast, no being can possibly comprehend Him.

"You're dodging the question. Who is this Presence?" said Madra, the tone of her voice gaining a slight edge.

"It is not your place to know." said the Seer, before erupting into a paroxysm of mania, laughing and seemingly mocking Madra's attempts at trying to gain answers.

Kicking him in the side and grabbing him by the throat, lifting him until his chains tugged very uncomfortably on flesh, Madra now shouted:
"Do not play games with me! I am the Commander of the Dreadwatch and Primarch of the Darkblood -"

"And a mere flickering candle in the darkness to His magnificence." retorted the Seer, interrupting Madra before she could finish her sentence.

Dropping him onto the stone floor, Madra's anger dulled when the Seer winced at the pain suffered from his drop; to her surprise he soon returned to calm composure, even twiddling his thumbs and muttering streams of incoherence from his twitching mouth.
After allowing him to calm for several moments, Madra resumes.

"Who. Is. The Presence?" asked Madra again, a bitter, caustic tone carrying with it implications the Seer should not be oblivious to, and yet still was, his madness shielding him from any sort of communication, no matter how reasonable. Shifting his position only slightly, the Seer asks Madra, with questioning, burgeoning defiance:
"Have you ever felt security? Security in the sense that you felt your understanding of the earth and the forces within and without was adequate enough to explain the phenomena we all experience? Security in the sense that the strength of your arm, the keenness of your mind and the firmness of your shield would all be able to keep you and your friends from harm?
It was unfortunate that I was given a glimpse... of what lay Beyond. Beyond our own terrestrial confines and within the ether of the outer void, there lurk things which defy Lorian explanation, things which laugh and sneer at our laws of physics, of morality, of order, and if they are not doing so, they are showing a staggering amount of indifference to our plight here. Do you think that any presence above - even the Divines - cares about our struggles? For none of them do, and those who claim an interest upon our world are those who would seek to bend the mortal essence to their own will - and there is One who claims to be able of such a feat."

The Seer rises up only slightly, his bloodshot eyes staring straight into Madra. She returns eye contact, only to realize she is receiving psychic visions from him; she does her best to comprehend the images he is showing her now.
She saw a blood-lit realm, silent yet shuddering - she could feel, but not see, empyrean currents glide and bash against the walls of other realms, picking up ferocity and vigor with the passing of the seconds and crashing again and again.
She saw darkness, but not darkness as in the absence of light, or darkness as an elemental power, but darkness as in the absence of any substance or form, darkness not found anywhere upon Lore; not in any dungeon, not in the shadows, not even in the Necropolis, just sheer, blank nothingness exuding interminable age and boundless dissemination, dispersing itself wherever she looked or turned to, and already she was unnerved by her senses failing to detect any semblance of sensation here.
Here, there was nothing.
Above her, white pinpricks of light illuminated the crimson void dimly, contracting and dilating almost imperceptibly, as if to let some unknown essence through towards an unknown destination - now receiving new information from the Seer, Madra saw red rivers flow from those white pinpricks, flowing alone at first but soon coalescing into larger branches and moving towards - towards -
A Presence. Madra felt her stomach curl and a strong feeling of disgust overcome her, for there was something about this new being that felt... off. Almost as if even seeing the manifestation was anathema to beings from her realm, and her mind seemingly could not make a decision on what is was seeing; first a congeries of circular pustules, next a dull, light-absorbing spherical form with the sheen of obsidian, though all the forms were siphoning the red energy and feeding upon it, growing with power and growing with repulsion as the mass arranged itself into a more fitting form, one humanoid in shape, though not quite.
Where legs should be, grey tentacles arranged, kept together by a robe of the darkest black, and above, a muscled composition soon arose, with the black of before condensing into pallid grey flesh and assembling a robust torso.
Where arms should be, two grey limbs sprouted from its sides, their flesh aligning and realigning to form appendages almost humanoid but not quite, for where the hands should be located, there grew three grey stout fingers, each with prodigious black dull claws extending from the tips, webbing stretched taut between the gaps as the final flesh soon came to rest as a head. Atop the shoulders, the flesh grew into a neck, supporting a cephalopodic head with a throng of tentacles where a mouth would be -

Commander Madra reels from the vision, falling into unconsciousness as the Seer laughs and laughs, his cries echoing out into the night.

One by one, they all fall down.

< Message edited by Alastair Q -- 5/24/2014 18:28:21 >
AQW  Post #: 3
5/24/2014 18:27:29   
Alastair Q

Thunderforge's Plutonian Shore (Chapter IIIS)

I have harnessed the shadows that stride from world to world to sow death and madness...

Trudging along the shores of Thunderforge, thunder roars above and bones tremble as rain pours down on me and the rest heading to the foul ritual site here.
Shivering in the darkness, I cannot falter now - I have made it so far, but fatigue and weariness are beginning to get the better of me, and I do not know how long I can continue in this monotonous fashion
Before I faltered for good, I could at last see it in the distance - the collection of tall, gaunt monoliths several meters tall arranged in a circular arrangement that had lingered in my mind for all these weeks, towering above the figures dancing and gesturing in the middle of the site, dark moss wrapped around the cold stone in the fashion of some torn decaying epidermal covering; perhaps the most peculiar of details, within the middle, a fire flickered and reached out into the midnight, the flames writhing and squirming in unison with what it was that the distant figures were uttering; whatever it was that would be happening, it certainly sent shivers up and down my spine, titillating whatever remained of my senses.
I would not be dissuaded now, for I had come here to pay homage to the Banished One, the Primordial Essence, the Lord of the Nether and the One who is beginning to make his Presence known and felt once again. Soon all will be alright....

Lost in my reverie, it was to my exultation that I had arrived upon the edges of the monoliths at long last. The congeries of hooded figures behind me split from our once orderly line, now collecting at the path leading into the site and kneeling upon the ground, directing at me to do the same, which I promptly did in earnest fashion.
Looking forward into the fire, the light was blocked by the darkest of silhouettes, robed with the same yet only just different garments as those who had arrived here.
The figure, presumably a male, was clothed with mage's robes comparable to the color of the moss here; accessories ranging from dark, worn leather boots to caustic knight's gauntlets, connected by weary chain-mail to two pauldrons complementing a hood akin to some noble eagle somewhere - the face was shrouded in shadow, with nary a detail to be seen. He gripped a staff with his right hand - a wicked construction, the dark wood of the weapon oftentimes crackling with viridian sparks, presumably emanating from the sickly orb atop the staff's skyward tip which swirled with dark energies within.
I could only rest my eyes upon the breastplate before whomever stood before us percussed the staff upon the ground, silencing the crowd in a matter of seconds.
When he spoke, his tone was not harsh nor overly embellished with impediments; his voice was calming yet confident, boisterous in its tone and heavy with the authority it carried

"Men, women, shifters, we are here at the behest of no Lorian authority. No Empress has forced us into her ailing fortress, and no dead King keeps us in equilibrium. We are here, united in the name of one cause, one name, one who was Banished long ago, lost to the outer void. Alone in darkness, he toiled, the machinations of his mind whirring with thoughts of vengeance not only upon our apathetic divines, but also upon the mortals who have ignored his pleas for era upon era. The time of ignorance is at an end - the signs are all around us. The oceans roar and froth, the skies split apart and meld once again with the trumpeting of thunder, and the very earth herself shivers for she does not know Whom will step upon this very soil we are now on!
My brothers and sisters, we arrive at the culmination of a thousand lifetimes' worth of servitude, and soon, we will ascend - ascend to a higher realm of existence, away from the petty dealings of mortals and into the arms of the Outsider. But first... there must be one.
One willing to take the first step, so as the rest may follow safely. I cannot be the one; I am the Voice of the Voiceless, communicating His wishes to those who would seek to listen. It must be one of you... perhaps, you."

It took me a while before I realized his hand was pointing out at me, beckoning me towards the fire. Standing up slowly but surely, I brought myself to calm, stilling myself and keeping the shivers away. Heart palpitating, I took my steps forward into that burning light, before kneeling on both knees, arms outstretched in anticipation of what was to come.
The robed man took a cursory glance at the totems I brought, before throwing them into the fire; rather than burning however, the items seemed to change the composition of the conflagration to the degree where the flames coalesced into a spherical portal, changing tincture from vivid amber to darkest crimson - a gateway into another world.
Looking within, I could see tactile tendrils of energy reach out towards me, soon latching on and gripping not the physical, but the metaphysical; the non-corporeal essence inextricably bound to my mortal shell, if only for a time. The seconds became hours, or did hours become seconds? Either way, I could feel my bond to the mortal world loosening, like the strands of a rope fraying and unwinding and splitting into separate directions - it was with the most peculiar of sensations that I was let loose, and my body fell slack upon the ground. However, I did not fall to the cold scythe of Death; as a specter, I hung over the proceedings, looking up and around myself at the stars above, and the people below chanting and hollering. Into that murky darkness of the portal I went, ready to accept my role in the return of the Banished One.

He has taken the leap - may we all be brave enough to do the same.
Outsider, may you bless us with your presence and invigorate us with your power, for the coming times will see resistance from the mortals and immortals alike.
May all of them come to realize that nothing lasts forever; not their Lore, not their lives, not even their peace.

I outlasted the very elements themselves - and I will do so again.

< Message edited by Alastair Q -- 5/25/2014 19:18:39 >
AQW  Post #: 4
5/25/2014 21:03:24   
Alastair Q

Chapter IV

In my house at a Void so dead, I lie sleeping...

Awakening from disturbed rest, Commander Madra rises to her feet, senses stirring back into life. Surveying the room, she is relived to see that the Seer remains chained to the wall - thankfully this time, he is without voice and thus unable to babble his ill words.
Looking out through the window, Madra could see the night sky; on a rare night like this, when the storms above parted ever slightly, she and her brethren could glimpse the heavens above, luminous with the ancient light of far-off stars, the constellations and arrangements of light aligning in such a way as to illuminate the black earth and bring light to a shivering city. This time though, the stars did not clear her mind, for now, some distant manifestation put her and her people at a most frightening unease and chilled the air to an uncomfortable degree, cultivating an atmosphere of perturbation not seen since Lionfang had breached the Dreadwatch's defenses all those months ago.
He was gone, yes, but the legacy he had left behind was all too apparent; the previous Primarch had lain interred within his own hardened shell, all life within long gone.
The effects this new threat could have - Madra shuddered at the prospect of already-strained peace crumbling before her eyes.

"What was that?" she thought to herself.
"Such an entity has not been recorded in Darkblood lore, save for the Mother -
I should not use the Mother's name so lightly, but... against such a mockery of Her creation, I have no choice. Who can stand against such a creature?"

The cogs soon clicked within Madra's head.

"Of course! She'd know what to do - the question is; what to do?"

Gravelyn remained silent upon her throne in unhallowed Shadowfall, pondering how best to deal with the growing situation in Thunderforge.
The effects were already being seen across Lore; from the central nexus off the west coast of that land, anxiety and fear had rippled outwards, growing in intensity and infecting almost all the realms in slow yet surprising fashion, inciting discomposure in civilians, soldiers... and as hard as it was to admit, even her.
Nothing could have had such an effect on the land and people in such alacritous fashion - a powerful being indeed must have been orchestrating events and allowing them to unfold in such a deliberate manner. But who?
It could not be Drakath; no, he was busy plotting and scheming within his own realm, but if this was him...
Angered at the thought of that cowardly worm, Gravelyn was taken by surprise when a presence suddenly forced itself into her mind. Attempting to regain her psychic acuity, Gravelyn tensed, as if to wait for the inevitable, when a voice spoke to her.

"Gravelyn, it's Madra - you needn't worry."

"What do you need?" asks Gravelyn, now communicating not with words, but with thoughts.

"My people grow restless and the skies more so; as Primarch of the Darkblood, it is my duty to protect my city, and most importantly, my people.
Something needs to be done about this Presence, before it grows in power and dwarfs even us."

"What do you have in mind?"

"I cannot stay within my walls and pretend everything is alright - and neither can you. Rather than worrying and pondering, we must strike at the source and end this threat once and for all. I am suggesting that you and me reach Thunderforge's coasts, figure out what is happening, and put a stop to the being once and for all."

"How would we do this?"

"We'll have to figure that out when we are there - however, I have seen what it is we are facing, and it is a creature of the shadow, Gravelyn.
We need a figure of the Light to help banish this presence back from whence it came - and if possible, prevent it from ever weakening the barrier between our home and its prison, as it has done here."

Wincing at the prospect of keeping her secret from Madra, Gravelyn bit her lip, soon returning to psychic communication.

"What about Knave in Swordhaven? He must possess the experience required to banish such a being - I hear he did so before with the help of the Hero." replied Gravelyn.

"Then to him we shall go - I will see you there." said Madra.

"Of course. Bring a change of gear as well - we will need to keep hidden if we are to attract minimal attention."

Heading outside her fallen fortress, Gravelyn once more focuses her powers, unfolding the latent light within. Two alabaster wings unfurl and widen, sending Gravelyn skyward and toward the direction of Swordhaven.
Within Thunderforge, Madra applies the proper incantations, teleporting into the city.

Swordhaven - Meeting Knave

The city of Swordhaven was a truly ironic sight. Once, she had stood proud and gleaming, and now she lay broken and in ruins. She had withstood assault from Sepulchure's forces, stood standing after Chaos hit - twice! - and the true irony of the situation was that the king's royal emblem - a dragon - was responsible for his city burning.
Lawlessness and disorder were the orders of the day here, and where Knave was, that was left to be seen.
Madra & Gravelyn inspect the city from outside within hooded robes, looking for a way into the city.

"And you're sure these will keep us hidden?" whispered Madra.

"Of course - they'll have to. Now, shall we get going?" said Gravelyn.

"Let's."

Walking as a pair, Gravelyn and Madra approached the gates of Swordhaven, torn and unbuckled after the Good King's fall. Where once they would have stood proud and polished, now they are rusted and rotting, with several gaps big enough for any humanoid - or beast - to fit through.
Crouching under the gap, both women enter the main pavilion, and what they see is enough to bring discordance into their thoughts.
The once-verdant earth lay blackened with ash; charred trees and broken buildings reflected this slump all too well. Further into the heart of the city, Alteon's Keep was a shadow of its former self, the juxtaposition between itself and a flame-orange sky only enhancing doubt in minds and hearts.
Atop the keep, there stood a figure... watching her and Madra intently, shifting ever so slightly upon its position. Gravelyn kept her head down, only looking up intermittently to try and figure out who this person was as she and Madra continued to search for Knave.

Brentan looked out from his keep, taking a moment to appreciate whatever peace he could gather. Looking out, he could see his city for all it was; a heap of failed dreams and forgotten potential. In time, he would be the one to make his city rise again... but for now there would be greater matters to attend to.
Gravelyn had stymied his plans. His Knights had left him. All he had were the mercenaries and soldiers left to eke out an existence here, and even then the link between him and them was tenuous at best. He would end her existence and he would deal with this Presence himself - maybe then his people would see him as the warrior and hero he always was, he always is, and always will be.
From his position, Brentan could survey all that occurred in his city, and here, nothing escaped his sight. He could see the people skittering down below - tiny, tiny ants who know they could still be crushed should they step out of bounds. By now, he could at a glance, recognize most of the people within the city - so who were they two hooded figures making their way into the city?
Brentan did not know them, and the glint of maroon greaves only gave away who was hidden under the hood.

"A traitor! Attack the hooded ones!" shouted a manic Brentan.

(To be continued)

< Message edited by Alastair Q -- 5/26/2014 6:38:50 >
AQW  Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> AdventureQuest Worlds >> He Waits Dreaming.
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition