Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=Dev, Story= Battle of Flowers

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> AQ Design Notes >> =Dev, Story= Battle of Flowers
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
4/23/2014 12:15:40   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

About a year ago or so, I was hanging out in #battleon on IRC and kinda musing about possibilities. I do this once in a while, mostly because it's fun to talk to players and because some of my favourite ideas have come from talking things out with players in there. I don't quite remember why this came up, but this time of year, in San Antonio, Fiesta is celebrated. Now a 3 week long celebration of all things Texas, and specifically, our area, the middle of the celebration includes what started it all, the Battle of Flowers parade. Different developers in the games have found ways to add a little bit of their culture or hometown pride into the games they work for, and I was wondering what I could do. The Alamo is overdone. I love what it stands for, historically, and have nothing but respect for those who stood their ground, but people over the last half decade have pretty much done the "Remember the Alamo" overkill thing.

One thing led to another and the idea of a "Battle of Flowers" in Lore became a thing. Rasudido, Connor, Toidiedud and Arcon were the four guys who bantered back and forth with me, really helping to develop it from a joke to a real possibility.

For those interested in history:
quote:

The idea for the first Battle of Flowers Parade was conceived early in 1891 by Ellen Maury Slayden (Mrs. James L.), the wife of a congressman, who had seen a similar parade in Spain. She suggested to her friends that a flower parade should be held in San Antonio each year on April 21 in memory of the fallen heroes at the Alamo and to commemorate the victory at the Battle of San Jacinto, April 21, 1836, where Texas had gained its independence from Mexico. These ladies formed the Battle of Flowers Parade committee, enlisted the support of fellow community leaders and the planning began. The first parade had an actual "flower battle" with half of the fresh-flower-covered carriages, floats and bicycles going in one direction and the other half going in the opposite direction, tossing fresh flowers at each other as they passed.
http://www.battleofflowers.org/

This is the only fully female run celebration in the nation. This annual event "re-enacted" two of the biggest battle scenes in Texas history, to make sure that the people of San Antonio remembered what it took to win freedom. Today, it is set aside on a Friday, since many of the businesses in San Antonio gives the day off for the celebration, and putting it on a Friday makes more sense. It has now grown to a parade that includes over 40 brightly coloured floats, military representation in the form of rank marching or bands, high school and college marching bands/drill teams, crowned royalty and other groups like boy scouts and such.

While the release itself is not an accurate historical representation of my San Antonio heritage, it is the idea that sprang from the mind of 5 people who were goofing off and having fun. It's evolved over the last year to what it is now, taking into consideration a lot of things that people have said here or there in discussion threads.

My thanks to Rasudido, Connor, Toidiedud and Arcon for that very fun day of brainstorming.

< Message edited by Eukara Vox -- 4/23/2014 12:23:24 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> AQ Design Notes >> =Dev, Story= Battle of Flowers
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition