Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Here's How We Roll Round 2 poll

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> The Work Table >> Here's How We Roll Round 2 poll
Page 1 of 212>

Here's How We Roll Round 2 poll

New Scrolls
  0% (0)
See the Stars
  7% (4)
Whispers
  23% (13)
Pro Patria Mori
  50% (28)
Warrior Poetess
  18% (10)

Total Votes : 55

(last vote on : 6/10/2014 3:49:17)
(Poll ended: 6/14/2014 20:41:00)
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
5/31/2014 20:48:25   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

New Scrolls by james2834

See the Stars by Salene

Whispers by Arthur

Pro Patria Mori by Kian

Warrior Poetess by Crystal Sunshyne

I think we will give you two weeks. Good luck to everyone!

Edit: Title of Kian's piece was changed from McCrae... And gave Warrior Poetess credit to Crystal Sunshyne. Sorry about that Crystal Sunshyne!

< Message edited by Eukara Vox -- 6/3/2014 10:52:26 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
5/31/2014 23:25:01   
Arthur
How We Roll Winner
Dec14

Guys, on behalf of all entrants, it is my humble request that you atleast READ ALL ENTRIES instead of just clicking the "Results" Button, seeing the status and then voting. All 5 of us have spent an immense amount of time trying to write our entries and would hate for all that effort to be wasted by a technical flaw in the polling system that let's you see the Result and then Vote.

Good Luck.

< Message edited by Eukara Vox -- 6/1/2014 21:29:09 >
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 2
6/1/2014 11:00:00   
Kian
Creative!

I agree with Arthur. Everybody sacrificed a lot of time into finishing their entry. So please, if you vote, make sure you do it for the right reasons.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 3
6/1/2014 12:03:38   
overdead

Kian, that was so beautiful. :')
AQ AQW Epic  Post #: 4
6/1/2014 13:21:28   
Kian
Creative!

Thanks a lot, overdead!!
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 5
6/3/2014 9:41:17   
Crystal Sunshyne

Yay I'm in fourth place so far, exactly what I hoped for :D Congrats everyone.

I third the opinion that all five entries are worth reading before voting, not only out of respect for the authors but also for the enjoyment of reading good stories. (Except for mine. I will remain happy if you ignore mine. :) )

I am curious, not that I mind being slightly anonymous, if there is a reason the title of my story listed here seems to defy the above pattern of having the author mentioned after it?

Anyway, continued good luck to my fellow participants, and happy reading to the voters! :)
Post #: 6
6/3/2014 10:54:11   
Eukara Vox

I just realised I hadn't put your name. It's fixed now.

I've already had several forum staff tell me who they are voting for and yes, they all read the entries. All should be read, as has been mentioned, because you cannot truly vote in without knowing. I've done preliminary reading, to make sure each story was appropriate for the public voting. Will be scrutinising them over the weekend, or possibly earlier.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 7
6/3/2014 11:20:39   
Caesarion
Banned

awesome story crystal

< Message edited by Caesarion -- 6/3/2014 11:28:14 >

AQW Epic  Post #: 8
6/3/2014 11:59:01   
Arthur
How We Roll Winner
Dec14

I have to agree. Crystal's entry is truly unique. I've never seen anything quite like it.
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 9
6/3/2014 12:19:07   
Caesarion
Banned

ikr it should be at least in the top 3 imho, it even has poetry in it and aside from kians entry which is also great btw nobody did tht

< Message edited by Caesarion -- 6/3/2014 12:20:22 >

AQW Epic  Post #: 10
6/3/2014 14:31:23   
Crystal Sunshyne

Aw thank you *blushes* Poetry is not an essential element of a good story though, and Kian's poetry also sounds much better than mine; better rhythm, for one thing. I honestly didn't mean to draw attention to my story or imply that it should have more votes. I think the top three belong more or less where they are. I like all of them for different reasons, and I generally derive my feelings of satisfaction and success through anti-recognition.

I am happy that the pattern of mentioning authorship has been fixed. It was fine before too, but thank you :)
Post #: 11
6/3/2014 15:18:33   
Eukara Vox

You garner attention, not because you call attention to yourself, Crystal, but because you actually deserve to have that attention to begin with. Do not downplay your talent and your ability. If people legitimately like your writing, don't discount them. Be humbled and thrilled that you are seen as a writer.

A good writer doesn't need to wave frantically and scream at the top of their lungs. All they have to do is show up and humbly present their work. A humble writer is much better than a screaming lunatic who seems to think they must be looked at all the time. I tend to shy away from such writers. Give me a humble, talented, personality-filled writer any day.

I kinda already know where most staff lean. This will be an interesting contest.

< Message edited by Eukara Vox -- 6/3/2014 15:19:17 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 12
6/3/2014 16:54:02   
Kian
Creative!

I agree with Eukara. And I think we are all curious about the staff's favorites!
Oh and Crystal I already said this but your story was indeed a joy to read! It makes me sad that you're so insecure about your work. Don't be! You have talent, you are modest, you seem like a really nice person overall and I'd love to see more of you! Best of luck to ALL contestants!!
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 13
6/3/2014 22:25:01   
Arthur
How We Roll Winner
Dec14

So in a sense, there are more categories to this contest than are written?

I mean, from what Madame Vox wrote in that final line, I am inclined to think that this contest is twofold.

Anyways, I salute the 11 people who took the pains to read my entry and vote for it. I am sure that atleast 7 of those 11 don't follow the original show but have nevertheless considered reading through that whopper. :P

Crystal, I would really like for you to teach me how you wrote what you wrote. :)

< Message edited by Arthur -- 6/3/2014 23:27:18 >
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 14
6/4/2014 1:16:50   
Kian
Creative!

Currently I see I've amassed the most votes. I really don't want to sound hypocritical if I say that I feel kinda bad. Your stories were great, heck, for a long time I thought I'd be in 4th place because I simply couldn't compete against yours. But I see that you guys are getting more and more votes, which makes me feel better. I guess it really sounds hypocritical but please, don't interpreter it that way... You all deserve more votes. I'm somewhat glad people appreciated my poem but more people should take the time to appreciate and read what you wrote instead. I hope the votes get more balanced as I disagree with the way they are now.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 15
6/4/2014 17:16:07   
Crystal Sunshyne

*dies of dehumblement after a fatal episode of complimented-by-talented-writers syndrome*

I am grateful that my writing is liked. Truly.

Superficially this may be a competition, but in truth each story contributes to the overall wealth of creativity and any of our insecurities about which one deserves to be liked the most are unnecessary. Especially where lack of participation is lamented and where the only reward is the sharing of written work, it should not be forgotten that the purpose of creativity is not comparison but expression. Each contribution is a unique artistic combination of the given story elements that deserves to be appreciated in its own right.

First of all, the first entry should not be completely discounted because of its format or whatever the reason; “New Scrolls” looks like it was fun to write, and that is more or less the point of participating.

The second story is very sweet and beautiful. There may be a couple of minor linguistic edits I might suggest, but I really liked the idea behind “See the Stars”. I like characters who can share compatible silences, and I can relate to the feeling of missing someone enough to want to wish oneself to them. It is nice to imagine having wishing stones that can, even accidentally, grant such a wish, but realistically every granted wish has a price; a character who is strong enough to escape the warped version of reality their heart desires in order to return home unscathed is admirable.

I am not really familiar with Darker Than Black, but I still enjoyed the fanfiction. I was progressively deeper immersed into Hei’s story the more of “Whispers” I read, from his alias to his true nature as a Contractor and then to his past… until the random couple walk past commenting on the beauty of the shooting star without knowing its significance, and I was implicitly reminded of that aspect of life that makes even the most dramatic personal plotlines generally unknown to the rest of the world. And, as a reader, I feel simultaneously part of the story and part of that “rest of the world” that doesn’t really understand. I really liked that ending.

Finally, I feel I almost don’t need to explain the worth of “Pro Patria Mori” because it is obviously well liked, but I will. War is a noble yet brutal subject that has been explored by many great writings and still benefits from more. I enjoyed the style of the verse as well. I like rhymes that also alliterate (even if it’s accidental), like ‘safe’ and ‘strafe’, especially when one of them is a word I was previously unfamiliar with. Collecting awesome words is one of my hobbies, so I always appreciate writings that introduce me to new vocabulary; ‘vim’ is another one I don’t remember whether I had previously been well acquainted with, but it’s a good word. Anyway, in addition to my random linguistic thoughts about it, it is a good poem overall. Perhaps I should not have compared this work to my poetry, though; to be fair, I do make a conscious choice to sacrifice rhythm for alliteration and acrosticity, but I still admire poems where you can feel the consistent pace of the flowing words.

I want to say that I am not as insecure about my own writing as I seem, but honestly if you have read this particular story you can probably tell that there is a side of me that is insecure about life in general. The Warrior Poetess is a character (or a version of my fictional self) who I created in order to fight that insecurity when it was at its worst. She stars in other stories I am writing; the part of my character’s history where she is accepted at the Institute InVerse and studies to become a great warrior poetess existed as a vague idea in my head for a while but was never really written. For this contest, I wanted to write something unrelated to my other work, something built from scratch based on the random story elements, but given this particular combination of elements I immediately saw Warrior Poetess and I couldn’t resist finally freeing her from my mind. I actually debated whether or not I should share her because this might be one of my writings that are too close to my heart to release to the mercy of the world, but once written she wanted to be shared out of respect for the contest that inspired her so I had to let her.

Part of what I wanted to express in this story is the way that it is sometimes easier to see the value of others than to appreciate oneself; I think this is generally a good thing unless in excess. I placed two characters that have been previously only communicating at a distance in a situation where they both had separate motivations to conceal their identity when they met in person, so they each spoke their admiration for the other without knowing whom they addressed and heard themselves praised without fully believing the kind words they were offered. As for Ice Crystal, she represents the side of me that I truly fear more than anything because she delights in trying to destroy me. I believe that writing has the power to transform thoughts and perceptions, to a certain extent, and one of my most helpful mental transformations through writing was learning to be able to see the side of me that sometimes feels like she is falling apart through the eyes of the part of me that is strong enough to put her back together. This story metaphorically expresses my own experience and my complicated, sometimes emotionally abusive (but less so, more recently) relationship with myself. I wrote what I wrote with the help of a concept initially created in order to restore the inner balance necessary for my continued existence.

Aaand I wrote too much. That is all. Thank you.
Post #: 16
6/4/2014 17:37:55   
Kian
Creative!

I think, Crystal, the only real winner is you. I just... Have trouble finding the correct words. I've never met such a wonderful person who genuinely likes to stay out of the spotlights (while you shouldn't be, nota bene) and who cares so much more for others than him/herself. I also like how you elaborated more on your story, and that the Warrior Poetess (slightly) reflects you. Makes me like your entry even more and gives me a better vision about your story ánd gives me a good reason to read it once more! I don't know how you guys feel about it, but it's wonderful to me that we barely (or not even at all) knew each other before and how we grew closer as a knit group of writers in such short time.. I hope I can establish good friendships with all of you after this contest! As I have exams, I am not able to write long, sweet texts like you have, Crystal.. So I'd like to end with one of my favourite Latin sayings:

"Dulce et decorum es"

spoiler:

You are sweet and honorable
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 17
6/4/2014 17:44:26   
salene

My entry was done very late, which is the main reason there are so many errors, and the story was a little ... Funky. Anyway, I didn't really enter to win, I just entered to improve and to read all of your amazing work. All of the writing truly was beautiful however, and each and every one was unique in its own way. You are all way to modest however. Rejoice because your work is loved, and realize that each and every one of you created a truly meaningful, moving, and eloquently written piece if writing. Bravo 🎉🎊🎈

And I share your thoughts exactly Kian. We have all grown so close through this experience. Before the contest, the only person I really new was Arthur. Throughout this experience however, I have learned what amazing writers and people you are, and I as we'll hope to stay and touch. And I second the thought that crystal really USA winner. They shared a part of them that was really deep and peivate with us, and I know from personal experience how hard that can be

< Message edited by salene -- 6/4/2014 17:51:37 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 18
6/4/2014 17:58:10   
Kian
Creative!

^ Amen to that. Glad to have met you all! The four of you can each have a kitty from my signature. *sheds a tear*
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 19
6/4/2014 18:56:29   
salene

I call the K! It was always my favorite :)

And yes, writing does have a tendancy to bring people together as friends
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 20
6/4/2014 20:01:00   
Crystal Sunshyne

You are too kind :) May I have the I? I think it is the cutest, with its squiggly little tail and everything. And I think Arthur should have the A (if he wants), although I have to say the way its tail is bent into that shape looks somewhat painful (or maybe it's just very flexible). All the kitties are cute, though, and I agree that the K is pretty cool.

I didn't mean to be critical by mentioning the mistakes in your writing, Salene; I realize there is a reason for them. It just means I liked your story enough to read carefully and notice. And I know you think it's kind of funky, but that is probably partly why I like it so much.

Also, I do have a delightfully terrifying Calculus test tomorrow that I should probably stop procrastinating studying for, so I will try not to write any more long posts.

< Message edited by Crystal Sunshyne -- 6/4/2014 20:15:20 >
Post #: 21
6/4/2014 20:21:24   
Mritha

After reading them all, I've cast my vote. Each of the stories and the poem was a pleasure to read, you all have done very well!

Warrior Poetess was my favorite however. I loved the internal battle and the poems written within the story, and the ending was incredible. We can have the whole world telling us we can't do something, but if we believe in our self, we can do it. We can have the whole world telling us we can do something but if we believe we can't do it... then we will fail every time. I love how you captured that. Again, very well done :)
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 22
6/4/2014 21:48:43   
Chaosweaver Amon
Friendly!

I won't say who I voted for, but I WILL say that it was a tough choice. I'm not the least bit surprised these made it to the 'finals', they're truly incredible. Well done all of you. I'm really upset I didn't have the time to participate, but after seeing these entries I know I wouldn't have stood a chance. Fantastic job everyone! :)
DF  Post #: 23
6/4/2014 22:11:28   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

I've narrowed down my choices to "Pro Patria Mori" and "Warrior Poetess." My thoughts on each:

"Pro Patria Mori": This poem immediately struck me with its title, as its use in conjunction with themes of loss of innocence and wartime violence gave me the impression that it is inspired by one of my favorite poems of all time: Wilfred Owen's "Dulce et Decorum est." Something about the poem's quick and tense pacing reminded me of the latter part of Owen's work, and I have to say that it does the original source justice. It was an engaging experience.

"Warrior Poetess": I have never before heard of a story where a goddess undertakes the trials their disciples go through. This story immediately lends itself as being a fresh and exciting addition to the L&L Forum, and though Crystal's transition from disillusionment to confidence seems a bit swift, I found myself avidly following her journey and rooting for her to conquer her fears. Once again, an engaging and delightful experience.

This is one of the most difficult choices I've had to make during my time on the Battleon Forums. I would want for both of these to win if at all possible, but there can only be one winner. For the originality and creativity it displayed, I shall have to cast my vote with "Warrior Poetess." :)

AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 24
6/5/2014 0:41:45   
Arthur
How We Roll Winner
Dec14

Well, if everybody's voted for everybody else, then who in the name of the Creator are these 11 people who've voted for Whispers...??

*appears utterly confused*
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> The Work Table >> Here's How We Roll Round 2 poll
Page 1 of 212>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition