Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Tactical Roleplaying for the UCaG (Discussion)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> Out of Context >> Forum Games >> Forum Games OOC >> Tactical Roleplaying for the UCaG (Discussion)
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1/24/2015 14:45:25   
TJByrum

Not entirely sure if discussion topics are allowed, but there's nowhere else to put this.

I want to conduct a tactical RPG for the UCaG. Everyone creates a single character and will fight on a grid-like map. On your turn you may move and then attack, if applicable. I want the system to be simple and easy-to-use, but still be complex enough to use strategy.

I need some basic ideas for the stats and attributes though. Whatever the case, I like the idea of rolling the d20 to determine attack/defense values, and then adding modifiers (stats, weapons, armor, passive/active abilities, bonuses, etc) and comparing the results to determine whether or not the attack connected, and how much damage it deals if it does connect. I want Melee/Range/Magic damage to all be separate too.

I also like the idea of Abilities. Some abilities buff allies, some de-buff enemies, some enhance armor/damage/defense, etc.
DF AQW  Post #: 1
1/24/2015 16:58:05   
Heroic Necro

So, pretty much, DnD, the UCaG?
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 2
1/24/2015 17:50:35   
TJByrum

No, Necro, DnD is far to complex and is not a tactical RPG like I want.

I've never played DnD, but I am somewhat familiar with how the system works. Things like charisma, persuasion, etc won't matter in this RP.
DF AQW  Post #: 3
1/24/2015 20:28:49   
Heroic Necro

I was thinking more like the battle system. Skill A has a Range of X tiles with effects 1, 2, and 3, etc.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 4
1/24/2015 20:41:09   
TJByrum

I would derive most of my ideas from HeroScape rather than DnD regardless. I'm starting to like the idea of the Banner Saga though. In it, each character has Armor, which must be broken before you can damage them. Damage and Health are connected; you deal the same amount of damage as you have health, so losing health decreases your damage.
DF AQW  Post #: 5
1/25/2015 0:17:44   
DA Holder67

I think using the Banner Saga's system would be too slow to play on a forum. It's slow enough when you're actually playing the game.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 6
1/25/2015 2:25:25   
Superemo
Constructive!

I'm using a system I developed (read: cobbled together using various things I like from the multiple RPG systems I've been exposed to) for The Unlikely Quest. I'm planning on posting the various details involved once the game's finished, but it's not overly complex and I think it could be adapted and/or altered for various games easily.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 7
1/25/2015 12:49:18   
TJByrum

Mind giving us a taste then Superemo? I'd like to see at least some of what you have.
DF AQW  Post #: 8
1/26/2015 0:08:28   
Superemo
Constructive!

Alright. I'll reveal some of the less difficult stuff to figure out.

Damage and Armor:

Damage is divided into two main categories: Physical and Magical. The most common source of Physical damage is weapons, while the most common source of Magical damage is spells. This is not always the case, though, as some weapons can deal magical damage, while some uses of magic can inflict physical damage. Some weapons and spells even deal both types of damage.
Your character's Armor is their chance to take less (or no) damage from an attack. Your character's Base Armor Rating is the chance of an attack not hitting them. Any attack roll for less than the Base Armor Rating of a character is a complete miss. If the attack roll comes to less than the character's total Armor but above the character's Base Armor Rating, it hits, but the damage is dealt to the armor instead of the character. Armor gets less effective the more damage it has taken, and can be broken if you aren't careful. Additionally, Armor only provides additional protection to areas it covers.
As with damage, Armor is also divided between Physical and Magical categories. Most armor only provides Physical armor, but your character's Base Armor Rating is for both Physical and Magical damage.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 9
1/28/2015 6:40:50   
steel blade

It's funny how I was also thinking up something like this with the themes of DragonFable after being interested with Final Fantasy Tactics.
But seeing how slow the game the game would be using the similar mechanic of FFT (and also convinced from DA Holder's statement about Banner Saga's mechanic), I had to withdraw from that idea.

I'd be interested in playing in this kind of game.
DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 10
2/1/2015 11:48:08   
TJByrum

Thanks guys. I am working on something now but I would like help:
http://forums2.battleon.com/f/tm.asp?m=21917326&mpage=1&key=�

Those stats are currently more accustomed to a pure combat roleplay, like I wanted, but I think we could add in charisma to if we want to do multiple epic adventures (campaigns).
DF AQW  Post #: 11
2/1/2015 11:54:37   
TJByrum

Thanks guys. I am working on something now but I would like help:
http://forums2.battleon.com/f/tm.asp?m=21917326&mpage=1&key=�

Those stats are currently more accustomed to a pure combat roleplay, like I wanted, but I think we could add in charisma to if we want to do multiple epic adventures (campaigns).
DF AQW  Post #: 12
2/3/2015 5:24:45   
steel blade

I'm rather curious about the character's progress, now that you've implemented weapon proficiency. So, is this the case or would it still feature 'leveling up' as part of character progression in battle? Would weapon proficiency also affect classes? I'm kind of sensing that you might be implementing skill trees with the direction you seem to be going. How would it then be carried over to the advanced classes?

Also, for the combat, are you also considering battlefield dynamics (heights and weather)?
DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> Out of Context >> Forum Games >> Forum Games OOC >> Tactical Roleplaying for the UCaG (Discussion)
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition