Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =AQ3D= Feedback Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest 3D] >> AdventureQuest 3D General Discussion >> RE: =AQ3D= Feedback Thread
Page 20 of 30«<1819202122>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8/29/2016 21:58:41   
Nobody16

Haha, I was right, ppl call me crazy that "Battleon is not going be in 3D game" or either this was during the time dragonfable ppl saying its not going happen. and I had vision and see it that has right and I am patting on my own shoulder that I wasn't not wrong in the first place, been too long see this game go down in the drain. I say live again battleon live again in newer version. Oh uhh yes I had a dream that the dragonslayer armor look awesomely sick in 3D and it felt like they put a moive for it, but I could be wrong.

I've cherish your game, still do. I've hope this game come out for steam, made the right chose (do not worry about the pitchfork, they just got scraped) Your old age suggestioner.

Please do not double-post, it is considered spam and only clutters the page. Next time use the button to add in any additional information to your post. If you do accidentally make an extra post then use the button to delete that extra post.
For more information, please read the =AE= Comprehensive Forum Rules > Posting . ~Gingkage

< Message edited by Gingkage -- 8/30/2016 8:37:27 >

It was once said "Thous who believed, but put no action made no progress until someone set the ball in motion"
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 476
8/30/2016 9:53:53   
Dr Disrespect
Helpful!

@Nobody16
AQ3D has already come out on Steam.
Post #: 477
9/1/2016 23:45:12   
orc orc orc

An issue I'd like to point out is the low drop rates in craft resources, especially those for the Nightlocke set. Firstly, low drop rates should not be the crux of a challenge item as they can be unfair. The Nightlocke weapons are examples. Some get the resources at their first tries while others take weeks to get them all. When the items become a test of luck as opposed to work, where's the reward in that? What's worse is that the dungeons are rather tedious to clear. Some players are forced to put in extra unnecessary effort to get the same thing as the lucky ones who got them far earlier.
I'm all for a challenge, but if the reward is uncertain, the challenge becomes pointless. I doubt many would like wasting precious time just to get nothing.

Another issue is that crafting is largely the only way to get up-to-level gear from level 4 onward. At a first glace, it's not too bad as crafting can potentially offer an easier alternative to gold shops. However, it's executed badly. For example, getting level 5-6 items require crafting, which in turn requires beating level 5+ monsters. The problem is that defeating level 5+ monsters reliably requires you to be well-equipped, but to get proper equipment you need to craft. As a result, players may find themselves having to backtrack and mindlessly grind till they over-level the mobs, skip maps and leech onto higher-level players to level up or play in a large group. While this may encourage players to work in groups, not all players may find many other players due to time zones. (The monsters can still be troublesome even when you're in a small group) The low drop rates worsen the situation on top of that. Overall, the low drop rates plus crafting being the sole way to get proper equipment (which is not done right) contribute to the already frustratingly brutal level curve. I do not find the game enjoyable overall.

However, I'd like to say that items make a sizable difference from level to level and can make leveling rewarding, though it's pretty much canceled out by the current crafting system. If there are more ways to get decent equipment and crafting becomes less tedious and more reasonable, leveling up would feel more like an accomplishment.

Finally, I'd like to say that the monsters are unfair, especially the Dungeon ones, even if they're not meant to be soloed. Many monsters have excessively high mana bars (a handful of them surpassing thousands) which allow them to spam skills to their hearts' content. This gives them an unfair edge over the players. The mana bar is meant to restrict the use of skills. If monsters have an effectively infinite amount of mana, they might as well not have a mana bar. What's more, many of them have ridiculous ranges, like ShadowMoon pointed. This can make some parts of the game unfair, especially the dungeon segments that require puzzle solving and navigation. When numerous monsters that rival a well-equipped player attack you, puzzle solving can become hardly possible. Sometimes I wish they add safe zones to such segments. A notable example of unfair monsters is Whitaker Forest. I had A LOT of trouble getting through as a level 9 with two other level 5-6 players for a LEVEL 6 Dungeon. I don't think it's practical for three level 6 players to beat it. In a nutshell, the monsters need intensive reworking.

In conclusion, many of the game's essentials such as difficulty curves and balance are in need of work. They SHOULD be placed above anything else in terms of priority. Right now, it looks like they're focusing more on Mogloween which gets me iffy. While Mogloween is a fan-favorite, it's still trivial compared to the paramount importance of what are pretty much the game's building blocks. I believe that they should focus on cultivating the basics of the game first before anything else.

< Message edited by orc orc orc -- 9/2/2016 0:16:40 >
Post #: 478
9/2/2016 22:57:43   
shadowgasher0090

I like what you guys have added so far. There are really only a few things i can even think of to add that you haven't done in this game yet.

1 would be adding a few shortcut buttons on the left (there is PLENTY of room for another set of buttons similar to the right side). the right side buttons cover 1-5, so maybe you could add a rest button for 6 like in AQW and allow for mapping of buttons 7-0 for easy use of potions and transformations. it's a small thing, but every second counts in a boss fight struggling to get to your potions.

2 would be adding a symbol of some kind to the story quests, so they don't get lost in the quest list...also maybe take away warp locations that we haven't been to (except for the dungeon areas b/c i didn't even know that area existed until i warped there), but with how the story quests are right now, it pushes you towards the next area, so it's pretty obvious where to go and that way you don't accidentally goto a high lvl area and die when your only lvl 1 or 2 and should be in greenguard, not doomwood.

3 would be what i mentioned earlier in another suggestion: a rest function. in AQW, the rest function quickly got your HP and mana back up to quickly engage in combat again, but in AQ3D, you just have to stand there and wait for what seems like forever while you regen for the next fight.

4: not sure if unity would allow it but it was always awesome in AQW to double click an enemy or press 1 for auto attack and you would quickly dash into combat, feeling like a badas. while there is an auto engage system in the game now, just walking upto an enemy doesn't feel very hero-like. (i have worked in unity myself, and i know it can be a bit finicky with certain things, so if the dash can't be added due to limitations of software, i will understand)

5: not sure if it's already in here or not, but i haven't noticed a party system, so doing a dungeon would be pretty hard without it, atleast at higher difficulties. Also, not sure if unity can have a friends list, but that is kind of a crucial thing to have in an MMO. so maybe if it doesn't let you have one directly in the game you could link a "add friend" button to another website that is specifically for listing friends to keep track of the friend codes for invites and stuff.

6 would be kind of nice for some controller support; i know it's not a competitive game or anything, but i do all games with the exception of all your browser games with a controller. i find it to more relaxing and easier to use. i tried using some keyboard to controller programs, but for some reason they don't seem to work with steam games effectively unless they already have controller support.

That's all i can think of for now, but if anything else comes to mind, i will be back.

< Message edited by shadowgasher0090 -- 9/2/2016 23:06:47 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 479
9/3/2016 5:47:19   
orc orc orc

I feel that the refilling system of Dungeon keys is too long. With Dungeons, especially the Nightlocke ones, being huge RNG fests, keys can get depleted quickly. The waiting time of 3 hours for a key is highly excessive as a result as there often isn't enough attempts offered to acquire low chance resources. The waiting time just drags on the farming process and makes it more tedious and less fun. It takes a whopping 2 and a half days to refill every key. Unless they make crafting on the game rewarding and fair (To elaborate, less reliance on RNG/luck and more on the player's effort), the waiting time is too much in my opinion.

Let's not forget the numerous technical issues of the game, particularly in the Android build. I've faced several crashes while doing the Nightlocke Dungeons, wasting keys as a result. It's not fair. Even if the crashes cannot be fully solved, there should be counter measures to ensure incidents like wasted dungeon keys don't happen.

I'm not sure how often the staff reads this thread, but I hope they consider every feedback and focus on the game's many shortcomings. I, on behalf of fellow forumites, am always eager to share my thoughts. I hope they focus more on building the game into an enjoyable, full-fledged multiplatform MMO experience. Right now, it doesn't feel like closed beta as it's in need of A LOT of work. These are just my viewpoints, I hope they do some help.
Post #: 480
9/3/2016 13:32:56   
shadowgasher0090

As Orc Orc Orc said " make crafting on the game rewarding and fair", because right now, the drop rate for the items are terrible, you will be sitting in 1 farm location for 1-3 hours and still not have any of the materials you were farming for. Either increase the drop rate to a reasonable one or also include items that can be bought with gold from the store like in every other game you have made. Requiring the farming of materials to simply update your armor to the next area's levels is stupid. i should only have to farm for the materials if i want the item due to how it looks not so i can kill the next area's enemies.

Also, about the leveling precess...i have done every story quest up to defeating the rock monster in the cave and i am only lvl 7...and the boss is lvl 9....soooo shouldn't i be atleast lvl 8 by just doing the story quests? and this lvl i am at includes like 2 hrs of farming just for exp

EDIT:maybe you could make it more like AQW, with the enhancements to make the armor and weapons better, because that was a good idea: you can wear what you like and not loose any stats because of it. once you get to lvl 6, your founder gear is completely useless because they don't have enough stats to help you beyond that point.

< Message edited by shadowgasher0090 -- 9/3/2016 13:37:04 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 481
9/4/2016 5:22:47   
orc orc orc

I just did the Crimson Circle quest chain and it's among of the many cases of imbalance in this game. Many of the monsters have over 2000 mana for LEVEL 6-7 monsters. Pair that with meaty HP bars. Sure they're not meant to be soloed but when they're closely packed to one another, can happily spam their skills without consequences and are numerous, is the dungeon fair? The dungeon also has one of the worst puzzle-solving segments in the game. Not only is the map confusing, the monsters are spread out everywhere and are equally as strong as those in the regular 'beat all monsters' segments. Navigation is subsequently dreadful on top of the game's wonky movement controls (especially the Steam build). That lever part of the dungeon is almost impossible for me, and I'm a level 14 player with Nightlocke weapons. I don't think it's a level 7 dungeon at all.

If any of the staff happens to read this, please test the game, especially the dungeons thoroughly. While this is still testing phase, that doesn't mean the staff should test less. The word to describe the game at this state is simply 'imbalanced'. I really do hope the subsequent patches improve on this.
Post #: 482
9/4/2016 9:14:28   
Vypie

@orc orc orc

The monsters are not supposed to be soloed. Despite having 2000 mana, the rest of the stats are not that huge. The big mana pool is just there to allow for steady damage, in the similar manner that monsters that don't use spells use their auto-attack continuously.
In any case, you don't have to fight them as a group, even in your higher levels. You can fight your battles without alerting the other monsters nearby, and take them out one by one. Use mage class if you want to make it even easier.

quote:

The dungeon also has one of the worst puzzle-solving segments in the game.

You seem to be talking about the 'lever' part. Is the navigation hard because of the jumps you have to do in order to climb up? Jumping on the mushrooms on the wall? I get that, but if you are playing on a computer on steam, you shouldn't be having trouble maneuvering. Even on my android phone, it was only slightly more difficult. Could this be because of something on your end like your mouse/keyboard or the way you are using them to move your character? Because the controls are certainly not wonky.
As for the Lever part itself, it should actually be your easiest, faster segment of the dungeon. You are not even supposed to fight the monsters there, as they just respawn after some time. You have to run through them. Ignore them, keep moving forward to get to the lever.
Since your are level 14, I'm surprised you are having trouble with that part. If you know where the lever is, just run and go there, it never changes place. You can use Mana shield as mage to get there more safely, try it! :)

(That lever dungeon segment also appears in both of Livingstone cave's dungeons, and the layout is exactly the same, just different monsters.)
I agree that the level part is kinda unbalanced. It doesn't make for an interesting challenge in the dungeon, as only one player need to rush there and BAM, portal open, the others don't have to participate.

I am doing every single dungeon/area/boss in order to collect and craft ALL the items. Right now I'm missing only 2 of the 'Screaming woods' weapons (even though as part of your progression you only need to craft one of the 3), and the pickaxe from 'Glowing cave'.

And the winner for the most ridiculously unbalanced dungeon IS.... Glowing caves! (no, seriously!)
If you are trying to find a level 8 weapon to help your progression, you can as well just give up and skip it. Trying to get the pickaxe or the shovel is amazingly difficult for a combination of reasons:
The drops from the Spider and Insect mini-bosses are very rare, and that's IF they appear at all! The bosses themselves don't appear often. The dungeon is so lengthy and has so many monsters, that you waste a lot of time just to retry it, even as higher level.
And by the way, if you are in a group roughly the level of the dungeon, those mini-bosses are really tough, and might kill a player before being defeated, denying the loot to that person.

I farmed this dungeon more than any other, Using up 50+ of my keys (maybe more, I don't remember), gaining 4 levels in the process. I wish I had given up. Still, I went back as level 14 to try again, and finally got the Shovel weapon after a bunch of tries.
Getting the mining helmet was fine, because the bosses you need are always there at the end. But the Shovel and Pickaxe are a pain to get.

quote:

Also, about the leveling precess...i have done every story quest up to defeating the rock monster in the cave and i am only lvl 7...and the boss is lvl 9....soooo shouldn't i be atleast lvl 8 by just doing the story quests? and this lvl i am at includes like 2 hrs of farming just for exp

The story quests alone are not enough, on purpose.
The game intends you to do at least half the dungeons you see as you progress. Although there is nothing that directs you to them, so they don't really feel mandatory. But the idea is to go to the dungeons you want items from, both to earn exp, and to advance with a better upgrade.
Epic  Post #: 483
9/4/2016 13:09:59   
orc orc orc

quote:

The monsters are not supposed to be soloed. Despite having 2000 mana, the rest of the stats are not that huge. The big mana pool is just there to allow for steady damage, in the similar manner that monsters that don't use spells use their auto-attack continuously.
In any case, you don't have to fight them as a group, even in your higher levels. You can fight your battles without alerting the other monsters nearby, and take them out one by one. Use mage class if you want to make it even easier.

I have no big issues with the monsters as a level 14. From a level 7's perspective, it's different story.
While they're not meant to be soloed, I find them still tedious to handle for a group of 3 level 7s because they have sizable HP and force players to rely on mage due to their population density. There are also the sentries which do not solely rely on skills but still have massive mana bars. At hindsight, the process would be okay. This isn't really the case due to the structure of the quests and craft items, which require several runs of the dungeon due to large requirements or reliance on low-chance drops. This is an ongoing trend with most dungeons. Furthermore, the dungeon craft shops are among the few ways to get good up-to-level gear.

Being doable isn't the problem. The issue is the lack of fun and the abundance of monotony. I don't think many like the idea of farming and grinding for hours just so that they don't get mauled in the next area.

quote:

You seem to be talking about the 'lever' part. Is the navigation hard because of the jumps you have to do in order to climb up? Jumping on the mushrooms on the wall? I get that, but if you are playing on a computer on steam, you shouldn't be having trouble maneuvering. Even on my android phone, it was only slightly more difficult. Could this be because of something on your end like your mouse/keyboard or the way you are using them to move your character? Because the controls are certainly not wonky.
As for the Lever part itself, it should actually be your easiest, faster segment of the dungeon. You are not even supposed to fight the monsters there, as they just respawn after some time. You have to run through them. Ignore them, keep moving forward to get to the lever.
Since your are level 14, I'm surprised you are having trouble with that part. If you know where the lever is, just run and go there, it never changes place. You can use Mana shield as mage to get there more safely, try it! :)

I'm playing on the Android version, which I find easier to navigate due to the more fluid camera controls. The reason why I find the Steam build wonky is because it requires using mouse to reliably control the camera and jumping through spacebar while moving with wasd is awkward. Turning camera around via wasd/arrow keys is very slow which contributes to the clunkiness. Even through Android, I have trouble getting through the lever segment. And yes, I always use mage for these segments. For someone who don't frequent the dungeon, the structure of the map is confusing. In addition, the DoTs from the Mages can punish you easily, especially if you lose momentum. That's what gives me trouble. Sure, I'm only a level 14, but what about the level 7s it's designed for? They would face much more trouble unless there's a high level player by their side. Even then, it can still be difficult.

Post #: 484
9/4/2016 15:07:14   
Vypie

When walking around and jumping to places or climbing stuff, I use a combination of mouse and keys.
I keep the right mouse button held down so I control the camera with the mouse, walking with 'W'. Because of that, 'A' and D' take on the role of strafing, not turning around. I never maneuver jumping with only spacebar+WASD, because that is indeed wonky! (But its also the same for ALL other mmos there are. The movement system they use is the same).
Using the mouse to steer the direction your character is facing gives you a reliable control. But maybe you don't like using a mouse, is that it?

As a lower level in Livingstone cavern dungeons (which have the same lever map layout), I remember stopping at key points along the way so that monsters would not follow me. The first time I went there, I had to scan the map a bit to find the spots where my character could rest. (I even used to climb a certain wall to reset monsters and exit combat).
But the map layout is very very simple. Its the shape of a noose, where the lever is in the middle of the loop. Sure there's a hole you can fall in to the left of the path, but its also a safe place you could run to for monsters to stop following you.
Even without this, I had no trouble soloing that part as mage.
In a group its even easier, because monsters will only focus on one player, allowing others to keep going without danger and click the lever. You only need one person to click on it. And after that, you don't even have to backtrack, you can just die on purpose and spawn next to the exit portal.
As a group of 3 level 7 players, the target intended group, its a VERY easy challenge.

< Message edited by Vypie -- 9/4/2016 15:09:16 >
Epic  Post #: 485
9/4/2016 21:17:07   
orc orc orc

quote:

climbing stuff, I use a combination of mouse and keys.
I keep the right mouse button held down so I control the camera with the mouse, walking with 'W'. Because of that, 'A' and D' take on the role of strafing, not turning around. I never maneuver jumping with only spacebar+WASD, because that is indeed wonky! (But its also the same for ALL other mmos there are. The movement system they use is the same).
Using the mouse to steer the direction your character is facing gives you a reliable control. But maybe you don't like using a mouse, is that it?

Never did I say I dislike using a mouse. I even said this:
quote:

jumping through spacebar while moving with wasd is awkward.

I'm always using a mouse while playing on the Steam build. It's just not as fluid as the Android controls, which both movement and camera controls are through touch controls. Regardless, this is a matter of personal taste, so I hope there will soon be a means to customize controls. I know they're planning on it from the ZERTY DNs.

quote:

Even without this, I had no trouble soloing that part as mage.
In a group its even easier, because monsters will only focus on one player, allowing others to keep going without danger and click the lever. You only need one person to click on it. And after that, you don't even have to backtrack, you can just die on purpose and spawn next to the exit portal.
As a group of 3 level 7 players, the target intended group, its a VERY easy challenge.

Definitely not 'very' easy from my experience. From what I said before, the map can be confusing for first timers. While it does encourage players to work in groups, it's a bit unforgiving in a sense that a group of level-7 players can be easily punished once they disperse. The monsters also have long ranged attacks and the segment lacks many 'safe' zones.
I've done this dungeon as a level 8 before, and it was highly troublesome until a level 14 appeared.

The rest of the segments of the dungeon are doable, but it's highly tedious. Especially when the quests require multiple runs and the craft items require RNG items. It's not as bad as the Whitaker forest in my opinion (the ghost dog is the main issue) but it's still not rainbows and sunshine.

I didn't have time to reply to this earlier, but...
quote:

The story quests alone are not enough, on purpose.
The game intends you to do at least half the dungeons you see as you progress. Although there is nothing that directs you to them, so they don't really feel mandatory. But the idea is to go to the dungeons you want items from, both to earn exp, and to advance with a better upgrade.

That's one of the problems with this game in my opinion: it's too grind-intensive. At first, the idea of dungeons as a complement to quests for leveling looks decent. That's really not the case when the dungeons are highly tedious and at times unfair, particularly those in Heartwood and Livingstone caves. And they're among the only ways to get good items. But you need to do dungeons or grind for hours for that, which requires good items to reliably do so. (Let's not forget the plethora of RNG items needed which can stretch the process even longer) The move from Livingstone Caves to Doomwood is an example why the game is grind-heavy. I was a level 7 and stood no chance against the Shadow Wolves and the Skeletons. Sure, it's still doable with a group, but it's monotonous. Since backtracking and doing dungeons took too long, I had to resort jumping to the Shatterskull bridge and leeching onto high-level players to catch up with the level creep. Many of us just want to get to the next area and make progress. If we're forced to grind for hours just to get to the next area, where's the enjoyment in that?

Yes, the game is doable. I definitely agree. The question is, is it fun? If you find so, good for you. I respect your opinion. But will others find it fun too? - The type if fun the revolves around hours of grinding. I'm not sure many would find it enjoyable.

With AQ3D being multi-platform, it's going to reach a large casual audience. If the game stays grind-heavy, not many players would want to play it. To some, the point of playing games is to destress and escape from the reality of work, not do chores. I feel that AQ3D needs to reach out to casuals as well since they could potentially constitute a large portion of the playerbase. I'm not saying grinding shouldn't exist, but there should be a balance. If AQ3D stays this way, I don't think it might succeed, at least up to expectations, on the long run. Besides, hardcore players may start as a casual, so I don't think there are harsh repercussions in reaching out to that particular group.

< Message edited by orc orc orc -- 9/4/2016 21:46:12 >
Post #: 486
9/5/2016 15:17:22   
Vypie

quote:

That's one of the problems with this game in my opinion: it's too grind-intensive. At first, the idea of dungeons as a complement to quests for leveling looks decent. That's really not the case when the dungeons are highly tedious and at times unfair, particularly those in Heartwood and Livingstone caves. And they're among the only ways to get good items. But you need to do dungeons or grind for hours for that, which requires good items to reliably do so. (Let's not forget the plethora of RNG items needed which can stretch the process even longer) The move from Livingstone Caves to Doomwood is an example why the game is grind-heavy. I was a level 7 and stood no chance against the Shadow Wolves and the Skeletons. Sure, it's still doable with a group, but it's monotonous. Since backtracking and doing dungeons took too long, I had to resort jumping to the Shatterskull bridge and leeching onto high-level players to catch up with the level creep. Many of us just want to get to the next area and make progress. If we're forced to grind for hours just to get to the next area, where's the enjoyment in that?

Yes, the game is doable. I definitely agree. The question is, is it fun? If you find so, good for you. I respect your opinion. But will others find it fun too? - The type if fun the revolves around hours of grinding. I'm not sure many would find it enjoyable.

With AQ3D being multi-platform, it's going to reach a large casual audience. If the game stays grind-heavy, not many players would want to play it. To some, the point of playing games is to destress and escape from the reality of work, not do chores. I feel that AQ3D needs to reach out to casuals as well since they could potentially constitute a large portion of the playerbase. I'm not saying grinding shouldn't exist, but there should be a balance. If AQ3D stays this way, I don't think it might succeed, at least up to expectations, on the long run. Besides, hardcore players may start as a casual, so I don't think there are harsh repercussions in reaching out to that particular group.

I agree 100% with this!

As the game currently is, it doesn't work. Main-story normal quests are super grindy, yes, but nothing compared to the dungeons. The drop rates to get crafting items are horrible, and you need to run the same dungeon aproximately 10 times (if you have some luck) to get ONE item. ONE upgrade.
Dungeons are repetitive and don't feel very fun. Killing the monsters in the dungeon should be made engaging, not boring to do.
Dungeons take so long (when you have to do multiple zones of "kill all monsters") that it doesn't meet the goal of "quick dungeon run break" or casual mobile gaming in small bursts of action.
You don't feel rewarded for doing them. I pursued every single crafted item in the dungeons, and that's because I'm a completionist, and because I believe in this game will only get better! But for players in general, when you run a game's content for 1+ hour of grinding and you don't see progress, you stop playing the game.

I have fun playing the game, sometimes. But its difficult to say how or why, and that certainly says something.
Right now, the combat lacks depth, and players can't really explore different playstyles within a class or toy with the stats much. The combat feels like World of warcraft when you are a level 3-5, but with (understandably) less mechanics to work with.

"Grinding"
Here's how to NOT do it: Have a super rare change of dropping the item you want, and wasting a lot of time in each attempt.
Do it like THIS instead: Have the 'special' blue items drop more frequently, but the craft requires more of them.
This will make players feel they are advancing towards the goal and making some progress, instead of feeling cheated by the RNG and wasting an hour on nothing. Players don't want to feel they WASTED time playing the game.

________

SOLUTIONS:

Because having to grind a lot is still bad regardless of the way you do it, you need to make dungeons more exciting to play. You need to make players don't feel like they are grinding by keeping them occupied with another task that is NOT a grinding task.
This is hard, but many times this is accomplished by a story element that keeps you engaged, and feels like you are participating in it, rather than getting reminded you are just killing 20 wolves for their teeth or eyeballs so you can cross it from your groceries list.
Quests should not be groceries lists. I understand that there are limitations, but its just plain boring. Specially when you notice you also killed 20 trees along the way, to have the NPC ask for some of their leaves to make a tea to go with the eyeballs. Delicious! (The point is, you feel cheated).
In many games I played, they give you multiple quests that you can do in the same zone at the SAME TIME. This tricks you into thinking you are being super efficient, so it doesn't feel boring. Couple gathering items in the world with killing X monsters and killing ONE special monster, all at the same time. It doesn't feel so repetitive because you are not doing the same action in a row. Another thing is also to make 2 quests that require the same monster to be killed, for different purposes.

Dungeons need personality. The gameplay in them is very linear. Kill monster 1, kill monster 2, kill monster 3, etc. Some other rooms are interesting, but do not require any monster killing, only running around. Like I said above, you should try to incorporate various actions in one goal. Make it so you have to kill at least one group of monsters to have safe access to an item/gate opening device/etc.
But why is killing the monsters SO BORING? The problem is that there is no personality in the monster layout. They are just there, spread out, and for the most part when leveling up, you will kill each of them one... by... one. Its very tedious and doesn't require thinking. Because you don't need to think, find solutions, your mind drifts again to the reminder that you are just grinding.
A solution for this is basically what other mmos do in their dungeons, and open areas. They make monsters linked in 'packs'. If you enter combat with ONE, all the other come fighting too. But they make them not so difficult individually, so that its a manageable challenge that requires more player cooperation. Now that you have this, make some small easy groups, some harder groups with stronger creatures, and even a mix of one huge creature + smaller ones. Put these at KEY interesting points along the way, guarding places and stuff, providing an uneven challenge along the path of the dungeon.
You need your dungeons to feel memorable, so that you remember "Ah, this is the place where X happens". Make the monster layout interesting, and design each 'monster pack' a for the challenge you want for the players.
If you have monsters with varying abilities and strengths, you can do SO MUCH with very little. But right now monsters only do stuff like AoEs, damage, debuffs. things that are just numbers. It doesn't require you to think or adjust your playstyle to the challenge. Regular monsters should be FUN to fight too!
Examples:
-Couple monsters with strong AoEs with a creature that pulls all players to its location, forcing players to kill it quickly so everyone can spread out, or luring it away from others so that it doesn't have enough range to pull anymore.
-Ice and fire elementals whose attacks stack a nasty freeze or a burn debuff, respectively. You then want to grab the attention of one of each(at the same time) so that the debuffs can cancel out.
-Monsters that when they die, cause an explosion.
-A group of 3 Skeleton necromancers that cast a resurrection whenever one of them dies, requiring players to kill all 3 at the same time in only a few seconds window of time. To avoid mindless player AoE strategies, they could also cast some mana shields randomly to reduce damage taken, so that their health would not drop at the same rate, requiring players to pay some attention.
There is so much that can be thought, but it would certainly require additional mechanics/coding. But the game needs depth in combat, strategies, and playstyle.
These packs of monsters could also be the final 'boss' challenge of the dungeon, instead of a singular monster that you just spam attacks until it dies.
Terrain:
Make terrain work as part of the strategy of a boss, or even just regular monsters. Things like forcing the Boss to follow you into a long path that you, as a player, can take a shortcut. Other players can keep it slowed down.
These things are already possible, but they are not being used as THE strategy required for a boss. It could be so interesting.

Dungeon/monster rewards:
Dungeons need to be exciting not only to play, but for whats to come! The rewards right now are very disappointing most if the time, because you fight a whole dungeon for nothing. You just feel 'meh'. You farm the dungeon waiting to find the boss you need to get the item you want, so the rest of the dungeon feels like a chore, you just wish to get over with it to get to the part YOU want.
The trick is to make the whole dungeon have the POTENTIAL to offer you something amazing. Even if the chance of dropping these special items would be minimal, it would keep you on interested, even when fighting normal monsters.
And bosses? They need something else too. Some other items to go along with it when you don't get the Crafting drop. The dungeon should not feel like a total disappointment. Make the bosses drop sellable trash, at least! And a chance of green-white items that would not be as strong as the level of the dungeon, but would help gaining a small upgrade every so often, if you are not having so much luck. (The major upgrades would still through crafting).
This would make running dungeons more rewarding, and these small upgrades would make you feel like its contributing for something, making it worth your time.
On top of that, make extremely random rare WORLD drops that can appear in any zone or dungeon monster, boss, etc. These unique items would be quite special, but you could not farm them directly. Since they could be found anywhere, you would just play the game and it would be a surprise when they drop! (Bigger drop chance for stronger monsters like bosses, of course). Having these things happen while tediously running content can ease the boredom and would make you feel appreciated.
(But you could still divide the world drops by zones like 'greenguard world drops', 'Doomwood world drops', etc, just so that they still have appropriated levels of power for your progression in those zones.)

TL,DR: Sorry if I wrote too much to put it in a single sentence, go read! (heh, its about solutions to improve the game) :D
Epic  Post #: 487
9/6/2016 16:35:40   
waterhope

I agree with the above concerns about the grinding. It gets annoying trying to find items I need for quests and forging. When you hoping that they drop soon, to be to move on to the next part. Since you will need better weapon to handle those dungeons with that like to group monsters together and have higher hp.
It just gets to be a pain after awhile. they should at lest increase the drop rate for crafting items in game.
Post #: 488
9/6/2016 17:25:09   
ShadowMoon

just went you thought no game could get more grind oriented then aqw & oversoul.

why do they think rng & forced teamwork is a good idea?
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 489
9/6/2016 22:37:39   
orc orc orc

These are a few things they should consider in my opinion:

-Crafting items should not rely on RNG.

Everyone should be on the same boat regardless of their luck, ensuring the items are fair.

-RNG should be more of a bonus than a necessity.

I like the way they added chests to dungeons. The ability to get extra gold and potions (if you have less than 100x) can make dungeons potentially more rewarding. They could make farming less repetitive and add more variety.

-Dungeons need guaranteed rewards.

Like what's been said earlier, they lack incentive to get through outside of craft resources due to their lack of directly obtained loot. Adding 100% chance drops to boss monsters, extra exp and gold, or even NPCs with shops would make dungeons more attractive. Right now, due to the over-prevalence of crafting and RNG, dungeons can be not enjoyable as there's a chance to get nothing. Moreover, it feels like the crafting items are more of the main attractions than the dungeons themselves. I feel forced to do the dungeons as opposed to willingly doing them. There has to be a purpose to doing these dungeons. Therefore, they need something that convinces players to do them.

-Rebalancing the exp curve, which includes monsters, quests and items.

The game needs to rely less on grinding. That means the overworld story quests should reward more exp. Enough that the rest of the levels won't require hours of grinding. Of course, the exp curve should not flow too fast lest lower-level dungeons and items become worthless. The story quests could be longer to compensate for that. While that could make the game more tedious, there are measures to combat and even reverse that. For example, there should be less repetition in the quests, meaning the 'kill 30 eyeballs' type of quests need to go. They could also add more maps and make quest chains in each map shorter. That would add variety to the game while maintaining its length. More maps would also help ensure a stable difficulty flow.

The monsters should be tweaked. The level creep from map to map is too drastic right now. They should be manageable for a player who has just entered their respective maps. For instance, a player who has completed the Livingstone caverns should be able to start the Doomwood quest chain without getting destroyed in the process. Struggling through a map can be tedious and troublesome, and having to backtrack and grind in order to catch up makes it worse. The monsters should be revised so that each quest chain is sufficient for a player to catch up subsequent maps.

The dungeon monsters also need a lot of tweaking. For the levels they're designed for, they are either tedious or hardly possible to deal with. When a level 9 and two other level 6s struggle against the Ghost Dog, how is the Whitaker Woods a level 6 dungeon? Another issue is the placement of the monsters. The monsters are not just numerous and densely packed together, but have stats that's higher (in some way) than a player of their respective levels. If the monsters are meant to fight in a group, they should be manageable. As said above, their stats should be lowered to make up for their numbers. Not many of us likes being forced to use mage to slowly kill the monsters one by one. That's tiring, repetitive and not fun. This also applies to the navigation segments of dungeons where the monsters are spread out and abundant. When there are dozens of strong monsters chasing you, those segments could be frustrating. Even as a group, at least one player becomes a sack. The dungeons need to be be manageable. They feel like chores to get through right now, which aggravates their lack of incentive.

Items should be available through not just crafting. The over-reliance on crafting contributes to the grind. As we level up, we need to upgrade our gear to be on par with monsters of the same level. There needs to be a sense of progression. I feel that shop items and quest/monster drops would alleviate this issue. Even if the items aren't as good as those that are crafted, they should still be sufficient. Items make a large difference and are necessary to stand a chance in the game.

-The game needs a better combat system.

Right now the game's combat can be easily done in a 2D game. It shows that the game isn't making full use of the 3D environment, especially for a game called AdventureQuest 3D. There have already been several posts before this regarding combat, so I'm not the only one who finds the combat in need of work. Some notable points include removing the Global Cooldown, adding a dodge mechanic (while removing that RNG mechanic) and making the game more action-oriented. Right now it feels too idle for a 3D game. We're in need of better combat.

< Message edited by orc orc orc -- 9/6/2016 22:57:50 >
Post #: 490
9/7/2016 12:07:37   
ShadowMoon

the main problem with the combat system is that they made it to much like aqws with the auto target that just doesn't work in 3d
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 491
9/7/2016 20:00:12   
Philosophyia

Hello! First of all I wanted to say I was super stoked when I found out that Adventure Quest was coming out with a 3D version. I had played so much of it during my childhood that I had to check it out. I downloaded the game yesterday and this is what I have found out so far.

The best area of the game is the beginning. The monster power and player power are equal. It is not too hard to defeat a monster but you could still die if you make the wrong choices. When you get to Battleton all that changes. I have been fighting the monsters there for over four hours and I am still only level four. Now I don't mind that a game is slow to level, that is fine, but the fact that I don't have a substantial defense and attack for my level is what is getting me. I am level four and a level two monster can almost kill me. So I think the first point of interest would be figuring out either the leveling system, the ability system, or the monster system. Second thing, you cannot level up your abilities when you level. You know how in most games you can increase strength, magic/mana/intellect, dexterity, etc, you cannot in this game and I think that is also a reason why our characters are not succeeding in battle. If I remember correctly (because it has been many years since I played other AQ games) you got skills as you progressed, you were not given a set of them. I would like to see that. Never is a warrior/rogue/wizard/guardian/etc set with all the skills they have at the beginning. A little more about the monsters. In Adventure Quest monsters would give you random amounts of gold, all I ever get for defeating a monster is one gold. I have killed over four hundred monsters, and lo and behold I still only have four hundred and a handful of gold.

I would LOVE to see more random things going on, especially with spawning. Whenever you left the village in any other game you had the chance to run into a low level you could easily beat or a high level that you had no chance with and I liked that aspect. I like having to use different tactics and sometimes even having to come back later. That, so far, has only been associated with this chain of games. And not just with spawning, add some more puzzles or things that could get into weird situations, like for instance the potion in the inn and the hole in the wall. You have a few things added, and I will give that you are still in beta, but it would be features for future investors.

One major problem that I had yesterday was actually getting on the server. It took about forty minutes of exiting out of the game, hitting buttons, and waiting to get on the Open Beta server. I don't know if that is normal or it just happened for me but it was pretty aggravating. Today there was some pretty bad lags that kicked me from the server and crashed my game but I have seen that many people have been having that problem.

For being an open beta the game is on the right tracks, the only thing I ask is please, please fix the battle system.
Post #: 492
9/8/2016 14:49:15   
GGson

Battle system - need combos or anything other than what you have now. ITS WAY TOO SIMPLE AND LAME

Auto targeting - Needs work.. not really sure how you currently have it set up.

Crafting - premium currency should speed up the process, not allow us to straight out buy the piece of gear. It's ridiculous that I can just buy all epic gear available without getting a single component

Dungeons - worthless because crafting gear is so cheap with premium currency/drop rates for the components are WAY TOO LOW (this would be okay if the dungeons were much more fun).

Dragon gear - Founders gear should be cosmetic only - it looks great but i cant even wear it because it sucks. I basically spent $50 for a mount and diamonds which make dungeons worthless.

Quests - kill 10 skeletons, kill 4 gargoyles, kill 12 skeletons, kill 7 gargoyles, kill 22 skeletons, kill 3 gargoyles, kill 7 skeletons, run here, kill 8 skeletons, run here. While I understand there isn't a ton of room for improved quests, the current quests in game need work.

Max level and stats - in my opinion, one of the only things that will make this game fun for more than a few days is leveling up AND being able to add stats (str, agility, dodge, etc). Currently there are no stats, and you put a level 15 cap on which is your biggest mistake in my opinion. THERE SHOULD BE NO LEVEL CAP. I'm at level 14 after a few days of playing and while I can reach 15, i don't really have any desire to. I'll be capped with nothing to do.

Overall I have enjoyed the game, love the different zones, and love playing with a semi small community. Android works pretty well aside from random crashes in the last zone.

I'm hoping you make some HUGE changes for open beta so I have some incentive to log back in.

PS: You should probably clarify if there will be another wipe at end of the CBT - THIS IS KIND OF IMPORTANT.
Post #: 493
9/8/2016 17:10:16   
Vypie

They already said there would be no more resets, you don't have to worry about it! :)

Combat improvements:

Okay I have been thinking about combat for a while now... and its very hard to come up with fresh mechanics that would make it more fun.
The biggest wall to any idea that can emerge, is that the game has to be playable on the phone too. That means limited controls, and also increased difficulty when compared to playing on a computer.

I have been reading a lot about having evasive maneuvers such as Dodge/Block in the control of the player, allowing you to dodge enemy attacks not by chance, but by actually rolling to the side or timing your blocks!
This can be a very possible mechanic, specially on a computer. Its not the most original concept, but its fun. Attacks could happen on an area of effect, and not on a target. Monsters could jump or zig zag to the side, as to make you also have to aim at them like they would to you.
But the problem is that on a phone you have limited things you can do.
Moving around and aiming and clicking on skills would be impossible to do on a phone. Its already challenging enough to walk around with one finger on the "joystick" and the other controlling the camera.
You would you do these 'timed' evasive maneuvers? Swipe to the sides? You already are using the screen to rotate camera and move the character, so it would be very weird.
You could have it as button on the screen, to 'Dodge' or 'Block', but if its just timed evasions, it doesn't make use of the 3D environment. It only raises the skill and connection required to play well. Sure, its nice to feel control of if you get hit or not, instead of a random chance based on a percentage.
Would it even enhance the gameplay if your character evaded by tapping a button, while staying in place? If it depended on your position vs the enemy, it would be awesome, but that's ridiculously hard, if not impossible on the phone. :(
If we try to find a gameplay type that requires constant character maneuvering and camera controlling, it will not be fun in a phone.

Its really hard to add depth to the gameplay itself, with these limitations. Even 'World of Warcraft', a game that uses this same base system of targeted combat, has intense action regarding moving around, requiring a lot of fast input. But we can't have it like that because controlling your character has to be less complex.
Perhaps we could add depth to character building through adding more interesting stats, though skill tinkering, and build choices. Even if the gameplay is not very interactive, right now, it could have depth in the strategy behind of how you build your character.
Personally, I would like to see:
-8 skills (and more as game evolves) to choose from to each class. You would choose 4 from 8 of your skills. All skills would be very synergistic with each other, making numerous options available, to suit your playstyle and stats.
-3 variations for each skill. Things like Lighting becoming a Stun attack instead of slow, but with a cast time. Or it having a short cooldown, but without slow. Or Rogues's poison attack dealing no damage but causing two stacks, and even a version that doesn't stack, but deals more base damage than a single stack and lasts longer.
-Stats like Attack-speed for fast auto-attacks and reduced Cast-times. A 'Counter' Stat that deals damage back to your opponent when you take damage. "Leech", a stat that causes you to heal you for a portion of your damage dealt.

While writing this, I just had an idea!
How to improve combat FUN with an interesting fresh mechanic!
"REACTION":
It is similar to the way you would have a manual evasion/dodge/block, but way more interesting, and easy to play for all platforms!
When a monster is doing a specific attack or animation, a button will appear for a small moment! For example, a monster is preparing a certain ability. When the attack is about to be unleashed, if you are fast, your character will react with a special ability of its own, dodging the attack and countering the enemy.
If you fail to click the 'REACT button', your character will do nothing.
To make use of these 'Windows of opportunity', 3 things are required:
-The monster has to be in a specific vulnerable state.
-You need to be in the right place, in the right time. If you are too far or too close, you may not be able to see the 'React' button.
-Sometimes there will be conditions required to see the 'React' button pop up. Maybe you need to be a certain class, or maybe you need to be near a special object to trigger it.

These unique moments depend on the abilities of the monsters, and WHEN. During a certain part of the animation, or right after it when the monster is recovering.
These KEY moments would always have a respective custom 'reaction' where your player will do a specific animation.

Example: Wolf monster has a "LEAP" attack. If you are in front of the wolf, the 'REACT' button will appear for a moment as it goes from crouching to jumping. If you click on it, You character will quickly slide on the ground and intercept the wolf mid-jump, kicking it/stabbing it from below and causing massive damage or stun.
Only the first player to click on the button will perform that special ability, but there could be monsters that would require at least 2-3 players to click successfully to counter the ability, and all the players would perform a comboed animation. (as to bring down a huge creature).

These reaction abilities would be more prominent and more often encountered on bosses, making it part of the strategy to beat it.
It would be super fun to try and find all these special moves and mastering them. Finding when to be close or far, behind, or near water/fire, who knows? It could be amazing.
(If you are wondering, you wouldn't be able to spam the 'react' button, as clicking it should have a cooldown of at least 2 seconds).

< Message edited by Vypie -- 9/10/2016 8:59:46 >
Epic  Post #: 494
9/20/2016 9:51:32   
Garak128

Don't get me wrong, im all for a challenge. Love dark souls, love old school mega hard mmorpgs of yesteryear.

But AQ3D is not that. It's not challenging in any kind of fun way. It's just stupid everything has stupidly high amounts of health so it feels like your character is always garbage, and you never make any good progress. You can freakin 10+ players attacking a boss and it still takes a long time to kill, and when you finally kill it after that epic battle what do you get? Less than 1 % of your level in xp, and a stupidly low chance at a CRAFT INGREDIENT... Not even a useable piece of equip. It's so frustratingly dumb. I mean yea epic bosses that take many players to take down are cool.. But when you get no better reward then a trash mob 99% of the time? They are best avoided.

Made it to level8, and still lvl4 monsters in the first dungeon are impossible. Plus they just constantly reset there health to full whenever they want. It's hilarious how bad the programming for that reset is. I was gonna do a video of it, but its just too pathetic and obvious. I get these are meant to be done with groups.. But since the game has no grouping feature, its frustrating even getting players in there together.. and once you do? It's still an insane trudge for no appreciable reward.

Just really cant enjoy the game at all how it is now. It's like it takes 30 hours to get 1 level, but levels feel meaningless because you gain next to nothing in stats.

The only fun I had in this game was the few hours the stacking war cry bug was in the game. and hilariously even with 40,000 atk I STILL didn't feel very strong. I mean it's impressive how fast you guys patch the game, but you didn't even let us have a day of fun with that...

Really can't see why you'd put the game in open beta in this state so soon. Games just not fun like this, and it will give new players a very bad first impression. Overall balance need a major overhaul and major bugs likes the constant enemy resetting even when you already trying to play 100% legit.

< Message edited by Garak128 -- 9/20/2016 9:53:21 >
AQ  Post #: 495
9/20/2016 14:54:06   
Vypie

I agree that the progression doesn't feel right, its hard to get new items to go up in stats in order to move forward.
The crafting system would work best combo'ed with normal, weaker, but more available drops, in order to help pursuing the next dungeon or zone, or the item you really want to craft. (or weaker items that also serve as a crafting ingredient for those harder-to-get crafts)
It would also help feeling like you get something from bosses, rather than a waste of your time everytime you spend an hour without upgrades (specially important on level up progression). I mean, its great when the stuff finnaly drops, but until you get there, bosses should still be worth your while and exciting! (And if you feel like farming it, you would then get the top tier gear for that level).

This is specially hard considering the game intends the player to progress through a few dungeons before going to the next zone, but if there are no players doing the dungeons because they don't feel rewarding enough (due to extremely low drops), it results in less invested players.
Going through the same dungeon 10+ times in a row without getting an upgrade makes it feel its not worth the time. (Players value their playing time a lot so this is important!)

I understand the frustration. I think some of your points could be a bit more reasonable, though:

You are level 8, going to a level 4 dungeon. Even though you are double the level, it doesn't mean you make up for a 3 person group, specially when being double the level doesn't mean necessarily having double the power. (I understand its hard to find groups now, maybe it will be better in open beta)

The monsters are reseting not because of bugs or programming, but because of their intended behavior. What is happening is that monsters will reset combat if they see themselves in a place where they can't reach YOUR position. They usually cannot climb up or down certain places, and if while in combat you move away to a certain place they can't go, they will reset. This is to prevent you from attacking while being invulnerable.
You probably already know this, but in most other mmos, the exact same thing applies, except many games make the monsters able to get to your position regardless of terrain, instead. That's why you can notice it here so much.

Levels are usually not the main power up. They work more as a way to enable you to equip items of higher level, which is the main way to progress. Its just like this in most games, although you usually also learn a new skill or other extra things to make it feel worth it.
This could be the reason you are finding the game difficult, perhaps you have the level, but not the items.

You said that the only fun you had was when you were an overpowered 40.000 Atk warrior, and apparently one-shotting enemies wasn't strong enough for you. It conflicts with your first sentence about challenging games. =/
Heh you might be just exaggerating, but it makes your post feel a bit less thoughtful, you know? Specially since you are giving important feedback about a critical aspect of the game.

< Message edited by Vypie -- 9/20/2016 15:40:20 >
Epic  Post #: 496
9/21/2016 1:53:26   
orc orc orc

...And they're going to launch Open Beta next month. They should seriously consider making an update patch before launching. The game is in DIRE NEED of more tests before it launches.

The game, at the current state, is not ready for Open Beta. It suffers from balance issues regarding level curves, gear etc. It is also infested with low-drop rate items and repetitive quests. There's not much sense of accomplishment in the game as Dungeons lack any direct loot, bosses give underwhelming exp and gold, and the craft items rely TOO MUCH on RNG drops. The game doesn't feel rewarding as a result. To add to all this, the combat system is bland, un-3D and underdeveloped due to its rigidity (e.g. reliance on RNG for dodge, presence of global cool down and the auto-targeting system) as well as the fact each class has a measly skillset of 4 skills and nothing else. It lacks depth and feels too passive. I don't think I need to elaborate any further. The Feedback thread covers them all.
Sure, the devs may have fixed some of these issues by now, but they should patch the game before Open Beta so players can test these changes. Instead of going for a gamble and hoping for the best, why not let players test first? Isn't that the point of testing phases?

What annoys me the most is that there hasn't been any major patch in ALMOST two months. While I acknowledge the time and effort required for a release, we need to experience the changes more often. We need to test the game and give feedback so it can be improved upon. The testing phase is a combined effort between the devs and players. If the devs don't let us test, much of closed beta's purpose is gone.

What makes this worse is that the devs have said little with regards to addressing the game's issues since the AdventureDarkSouls DNs. The only noteworthy news I've seen ever since is that the Dungeon Key system is receiving changes. But that's barely even the tip of the iceberg. Otherwise, it's all about Mogloween right now.

I think the Devs should think twice, even thrice, before deciding to launch Open Beta. A lot of the game's basics is undercooked. That's why they should focus more on building the game's fundamentals and let the players test as they progress. I really do want the game too succeed, but right now, it seems like it's heading the same direction as Hero Smash and OverSoul. Maybe I'm wrong. I really hope so.

< Message edited by orc orc orc -- 9/21/2016 2:04:59 >
Post #: 497
9/21/2016 2:29:53   
Ninjaty

I too feel the game is headed down a dark path of no return. Like Artix himself said in an earlier DN, and as has been proven over countless millennia, you only have one shot at a first impression. So clearly he is aware of that, but considering he announced the open beta for October, he seems to be completely unaware of how his own game feels. I have not even touched the game for weeks now, simply because of all the issues with the XP curve, progression difficulty curve and combat system. If they can't even hope to keep their already loyal players entertained at this point, then the game will most likely not survive the general public.
Post #: 498
9/21/2016 3:03:05   
Aura Knight

I'm not sure if I should have an opinion on the matter as at this time I simply don't care for the game, but if there are still obvious issues being pointed out by the actual players, it seems rather foolish to go ahead with the beta that's apparently coming up. At this point, if the ones playing the game are noticing issues which could potentially cause them to not play the game, the game itself might end up being a complete failure. And if such a thing becomes reality, that would be the worst thing to happen. I can't speak for everyone but it might be better to simply postpone beta until the issues found during the alpha stages of testing are corrected. I may play this game at some point but if it's already a failure, why should I waste my time trying it out?
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 499
9/21/2016 9:28:57   
Vypie

I'm pasting an idea I had about the camera/combat here, since the devs may miss it in favor of reading this feedback thread.
It's about enhancing the combat with what we currently have by using the camera to free up players from a static combat, opening possible interesting mechanics that use the 3D environment, and a world of expanding possibilities as the game grows!
(If you see need, please delete my other thread I created. This is definitely the better place to put this information.)

quote:

When trying to come up with ways to improve the current combat system, I came to the conclusion:
Playing on the phone essentially has the same controls of a console controller - one hand controls the movement, and the other clicks on buttons for skills, with the occasional camera control on the right joystick or L & R buttons to turn the camera left and right.
One thing that many console games have... is a smart camera that tracks the enemy you are fighting, so you don't have to constantly readjust it.

So here it is, a modified and adjusted version, the way it could work for this game!
[Smart camera]

When attacking an enemy, the camera will lock onto it. (Not when targeting, only when you attack!)
When using A or D, or using the 'joystick' on your phone, you character will strafe, but will keep eye contact with the enemy.

Moving to the side will essentially rotate your character around the enemy. This eliminates the need of having to constantly readjust the camera to see the enemy.
But you would not be forced into this camera view. By clicking TAB (with nearby enemies or not) or clicking another enemy, or having your finger/mouse+click manually controlling the camera, the Smart-camera unlocks.
So when you want to look around, you are free to do so. This works for both computer and mobile.

When in Smart-camera mode, using S or pulling down the 'joystick' will not make the character walk backwards slowly, and instead, will make the character run at normal speed while facing the camera.

This (free hands camera) could enable a very cool combat system. On top of the targeting system we have now, Area-abilities and attacks can be added. We could use the easy strafing to avoid attacks without any effort of camera control.
Even on a phone, movement based combat would become a breeze! I know some games that use a similar system of combat, and it works great, specially for bosses. It can be amazing.

So to conclude, we need an EXTRA monster behavior, where not only they do what they already do, but also have these avoidable special-attacks that take some time to hit, but you have to move away to not get hit.
From ranged spells to monsters slamming the ground or spitting fire in front of them, there's so much that could be done.
Some player spells could also behave like this, targeting an area with a certain shape, rather than having all things targeted.
We could have bosses that do not move, but target players and areas around them, and you have to be on the move and attack in safe spots.

Obviously this idea requires stuff to be ADDED to the game, but doesn't throw away what already exists, and instead, builds on it. :)

< Message edited by Vypie -- 9/21/2016 9:31:14 >
Epic  Post #: 500
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest 3D] >> AdventureQuest 3D General Discussion >> RE: =AQ3D= Feedback Thread
Page 20 of 30«<1819202122>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition