Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

(AQW) Untold Tales of Lore

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> AdventureQuest Worlds >> (AQW) Untold Tales of Lore
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8/30/2015 13:16:09   
kaos rules x

Discussion for this collection of stories can be found right here.

Our world is built of many places, items, and stories. Quite often these stories go completely unheard and their heroes and villains are lost in time.
I have traveled far in this world and have seen many strange happenings. I aim to find the bizarre and mysterious so that I may present it in a new light.

Read on, dear reader. Everything may not be what it seems. Some of these stories could be true and others merely myth.
But as any smart adventurer like yourself knows: every myth, every story and every lie is built upon a grain of truth.

The choice to believe is yours. So read on, dear reader. Read on and enjoy these untold tales of Lore.

< Message edited by kaos rules x -- 9/15/2017 22:23:46 >
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 1
8/30/2015 13:26:07   
kaos rules x

Curse of the Shadow Naval Commander

In my trek across Lore, I’ve heard many stories and legends to explain some of the most bizarre occurrences throughout the land. I’ve heard tales of a giant beast-like humanoid tromping around the Greenguard forest, sea monsters lurking in the depths of Hydra Lake, vicious extraterrestrial takeovers of cities, the list just goes on and on. Most of these stories, as I would guess, are just that: stories meant to entertain and cause a laugh. However, there are some strange exceptions I’ve found that should warrant further investigation and adventuring, as it were.

I remember this story was one of these in particular. It was early on in my travels, or at least, my memory of traveling. I had just trekked a few miles, meandering any which way. I hadn’t a real plan yet, I was just walking. I had somehow managed to find myself near the coast north of Swordhaven, just offset of the Dwarfhold mountains. Dark was falling and I was hungry, and luckily I had managed to find a small tavern by the shore.

I entered the establishment as it began to rain quite suddenly. Hungry and chilled, I went to the tender of the tavern and ordered a meal, and afterward sat at a small side table to warm myself now that I was out of the rain. The place was near empty even for a small tavern, sailors and pirates seemed to be the sole target for this kind of establishment. Just to my right, away from the wall, there was a single group of sailors and pirates around a long table with a single large candle. Each had their own drinks, as strong as they preferred, and were laughing and telling tales in carefree manners, save for one.

This particular sailor was older, dressed in a tattered red cloak with old golden trim, and he seemed agitated and off-put by the merriment around him. He took a gulp of his drink and slammed the empty cup down on the table. The laughter around the table stopped there, and he stared at them harshly. The tavern then seemed to slow; the only movement was the flickering flame from the candle on their table, which casted six long shadows outward, giving the entire place a sinister feel.

The older sailor, a pirate I assumed, spoke with a strong but aged voice, “Aye, ‘tis naught but the word of scallywags and liars these stories!” He hit the table once more. “You laugh ‘fer now, but I tell ‘yer, there be a greater curse out there in the sea than you be guessing!”

“Listen up, me buckoes, to me tale. ‘Tis up to you to believe it or not, but I’ll be telling you all the same. You laugh now, full of freedom and joy at a day’s plunder and work. Aye, ‘tis true a pirate loves his booty and profits, but one can also say a pirate’s greatest pride is his freedom out on the open sea. There be nothing like it mates, and you done have heard it before.” Murmurs of agreement rose from the listeners around the table.

The old pirate took a sip of his drink before continuing. “Aye, ‘tis the truth that pirates love their freedom most of all. It also be true that the most honorable of pirates be them Naval Commanders, the most bravest and honorable of all the scallywags upon the sea. None who live dare cross their blades and cannons; and none fight their ships. Them Naval Commanders stand for what we love at sea and will always be the first to protect their freedoms!” He emphasized his words with his fist in the air, evoking some shouts of cheer from the listeners.

“Aye, but there be tell-tales of a blight upon them waters who desires freedom even more than us pirates and our code. ‘Tis right for something to exist, but what?” The old pirate stared at his listeners intently. “Well, I be telling ye lads, it’s out there, and it came from one of the first Naval Commanders himself.

“Many years ago, long before we be first telling the tale, a Naval Commander sailed his ship in search of a particular treasure chest. He had himself a key to a hidden treasure of great riches and legend, one that could only be found within the Cove of Dead Shoals, which yer’ all knowin’ to be a patch of sea where there be only dead things swimmin’ in the waters. The Naval Commander, captain of one the greatest ships to ever set sail on the open waters, the Dark Shade, feared nothin’, trusting his crew and ship without worry.

“They sailed day and night through the waters to get to the Cove of Dead Shoals. Seein’ dead things in the water should have been a warning, aye, but the captain was an adventurous fool. They landed upon the only bit of sand in the area and dug according to the inscription upon that black key. Within no time at all, he and his gang of scallywags found a chest. Excited for the treasure, they wasted no time in opening that cursed box, only to find it filled with the brightest hoard of gold they’d ever imagined. The captain, the Naval Commander he was, dug into the chest and found hisself the sleekest of knives, made from the blackest metal he had done ever laid his eyes on.

“Proud of their plunder, them scallywags returned to the ship for a celebration upon the open waters in honor of their new booty.” The old pirate took another swig of his drink, adding to the suspense that was beginning to overtake the room. He continued, much quieter now, “Aye, they be suspectin’ of no things, and as the sun went down, their victory grew to be their end.

“The Naval Commander, captain he was, stood over his ship from the wheel, watching his crew enjoy their freedoms. His first mate was the first to notice the beginnin’ of their ends. You see, me hearties, the first mate noticed that his captain no longer had a shadow. His was laid out in front of him, long due to the dyin’ sun, yet his captain had none. He went to his captain, confused, only to be stopped by the most ruthless villain that ever was seen on a sea-farin’ vessel.

“The blackguard stood at his height and seemed to be shrouded with darkness, save for his piercing red eyes. According to me source lads, the thing itself looked like a human shadow, though a bit unformed by the blurry shadows spilling out around it. But its eyes, o its eyes! They be glowin’ like the reddest of suns over the sea, save they weren’t no sunrise heralding a new day and its adventures. Nay, they be glowing red from sheer hatred and determination to be free, or so the tale goes.

“This villain, the shadowy thing, shoved the first mate aside and deformed, flowing over the captain at the wheel. The captain, Naval Commander for a good reason me buckoes, turned and drew his trusty cutlass to face the villain. The thing was too quick for ‘em, it flowed into him and shoved him aside like a landlubber during a storm. Stumbling, the Naval Commander regained his bearing, though having dropped his cutlass, reached for the new black knife at his belt.” The old pirate shook his head, “Yar, but by then, it’d be too late.

“The shadowy thing, the black-hearted rogue he was, had gotten hold of the knife and floated over the first mate who was gettin’ back up, ready for some swashbuckin’, like the proper scallywag he was. He never got a chance. The shadow, faster than anythin’ they’d seen, shoved the dark knife deep into the chest of the first mate, right through his heart.

The old pirate’s eyes grew cold, his voice seemingly iced over now, “Twas the scream that alerted the crew. Aye, a scream it was. The shadow dug the knife deep into the chest of the first mate and all he could do was scream. It’s said that it be the most painful and otherworldly thing ye ever did hear. The sound of the man dying was horrifyin’ to the captain and what he saw was even worse still.

“The first mate’s shadow was turnin’ liquid and flowin’ straight into his feet. The scream continued as the captain watched, helpless and struck with terror as the first mate’s shadow flowed straight out of the knife in his chest and back down into his throat. Before his very eyes, the captain, a great and now helpless Naval Commander, watched as his first mate’s skin darkened and his eyes took the same red and evil glow as the proper shadowy thing.

“The first mate held him steady as the shadowy villain turned his entire crew into shades of themselves, just like zombies following a leader. Standing along, surrounded by his darkened crew and the proper shadowy rogue in front of him, he stood his fate with what little courage he yet had. The shadowy thing’s eyes narrowed in front of the captain and watched with wicked satisfaction that he was properly constrained by the changed crew members. With no hope left for the Naval Commander, the shadow stabbed him through the heart.

“The captain screamed too. Aye, he screamed, yet was able to see the shadowy thing in front of him change to look exactly like him. Confused, he tried to yell at the fiend, but darkness overtook him and that ended his adventures aboard his loved Dark Shade.”

The old pirate closed his eyes, continuing with his tale, “Aye, ‘twas the end of their time aboard the Dark Shade, but tales around the sea have reached even here that tell of a dark and ancient ship that sails the sea stealing the souls of us pirates and sailors. ‘Tis possible the ship still sails under the curse of the black dagger, wielded by the shadow who had somehow became a Naval Commander itself. We’ve seen nothing, of course, but could it still be out there me buckoes? Could that Shadow Naval Commander be hauntin’ our waters?”

He slammed his cup down on the table and raised his voice with two final questions: “What really came of the ship, its crew, and its captain? Where be its freedom now?” Leaving his empty cup, the old pirate turned and limped away, leaving the other six sailors and pirates to discuss their new tale together.

The jovial mood was gone now. The story explaining the haunted ship and shadowy Naval Commander seemed to had sucked all notions of freedom from their minds. With heavy looks and shaky dispositions, they each left the table in silence.

Now this tale had caught my interest to the point that I knew it warranted further investigation. It had done so because of the level of detail in the story itself. If the places were real, then maybe the legend held some truth to it. Of course, someone had to have escaped for us to hear the tale ourselves, right? The only one whose fate was unclear in the story was the captain, the original Naval Commander in the tale, and he didn’t have a shadow.

Thinking back on it now, neither did the old pirate.

I’m dubbing this tale the Curse of the Shadow Naval Commander, and I shall be looking for more evidence once I have time. I’ll be taking my leave for now, searching for answers, adventures, and more untold tales of Lore.

~~ May your sword stay sharp and the stars ever light your way ~~
~~ Roakaa ~~

< Message edited by kaos rules x -- 10/16/2016 17:34:11 >
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> AdventureQuest Worlds >> (AQW) Untold Tales of Lore
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition