Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=AQ3D= Design Notes September 10th, 2016: ANNOUNCEMENT! Open Beta Launch in October

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest 3D] >> AdventureQuest 3D General Discussion >> =AQ3D= Design Notes September 10th, 2016: ANNOUNCEMENT! Open Beta Launch in October
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
9/11/2016 12:18:42   
Dr Disrespect
Helpful!

quote:

ANNOUNCEMENT! Open Beta Launch in October
Artix Krieger | Saturday, September 10, 2016

Open Beta starts in October

AdventureQuest 3D will be available on STEAM (PC/Mac), Android and Apple iOS for all players with the start of OPEN BETA in October! We are incredibly excited to be launching AdventureQuest Worlds in October... which is tradition! It is the same month that we launched both of the previous AdventureQuests (is it OK that I made that plural?) -- The original AdventureQuest AND AdventureQuest Worlds.

With this release we will open up Shatterskull Tower, quickly followed by the Mogloween Haunted House, and then the Volcanic Dragon Lair.

Gaming News Site Interviews = Early Access Steam Keys

Does October seem to far away? NEED Early Access? ...then good news! We are doing interviews with popular gaming news websites starting Thursday of next week. We will be giving these sites early access codes for them to give away on their websites when the articles go live :D If you liked the capes, then you might like some of the other special requests we got for this next upcoming batch too!

Launch Party! October Celebration

This October is going to be legendary. There will be celebrations throughout our video game network... and I think there is still time to take this to an entirely new level. Here is where you come in. What can we do to make this absolutely unforgettable? This is our first ever 3D game launch. What could we do that would be thinking outside the box to make this something people talk about until the end of time?

BATTLE ON!

Tagged! ~Battle Elf

< Message edited by Battle Elf -- 9/11/2016 16:57:40 >
Post #: 1
9/11/2016 17:29:57   
*Nova*

Should... probably... improve the combat a bit before launching Open Beta. It's kind of clogged, lackluster, unfun, boring, uninspiring...
Or at least show in some way or form or DN that it's being worked upon. The undeveloped combat will likely drive away veteran players(who haven't touched early access yet), and newer players from the genre alike. Yes? Maybe? Uh? Cool.

< Message edited by *Nova* -- 9/14/2016 17:05:30 >
DF MQ  Post #: 2
9/11/2016 20:35:02   
orc orc orc

When will there ever be a DNs addressing many of the game's flaws right now? Such as the unreasonable level curve (making the game grind-heavy), half-baked combat, over-reliance of RNG items on crafting (which makes farming unfair and tedious) and the over-prevalence of it, lack of direct incentives in dungeons, monster imbalance etc. The AdventureDarkSouls DNs did point out the shoddy level curve, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. It's been a month since that post. Sure, an new patch takes time but wouldn't it be nice of them to at least update us regarding the fixes to show they're doing something about the game's issues? Right now it looks like they're focusing on Mogloween more than anything... Mogloween may be fun, but it's very, VERY trivial compared to the the essentials of the game, such as level curves, combat and balance etc.

I don't think the game is ready for Open Beta yet. It certainly needs a lot of work. A lot of polishing and maybe even overhauls. For example, they need to rework on the combat system. Many of us have shared our thoughts in the Feedback thread, and a lot of us do agree that the combat is underdeveloped. To the Devs, please do not give up on combat just because of mobile limitations. There are many ways to improve combat while staying within the boundaries. Resourcefulness and innovation exist. Make good use of them. I'm sorry if I came off as aggressive, but I really do want AQ3D to succeed. Right now it's unlikely to do so. Many of us don't want another Oversoul or Herosmash scenario so PLEASE work on fixing, rebalancing and improving the core basics of the game before anything else. We need the game to be more complete. Yes this is only beta, but the game right now feels like Alpha, especially when compared to many other games.

No matter how hard times get, I'm still going to continue supporting the game. It's just frustrating to see the game in this state so far.

< Message edited by orc orc orc -- 9/11/2016 20:47:25 >
Post #: 3
9/11/2016 20:48:14   
Swordsman of Worlds

Oy...seems like it's always the games I want to play that get delayed a few months. Brawl, anyone?

But alas,

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad"
~Shigeru Miyamoto

Granted, this old saying holds a little less water now when games can be easily patched or otherwise updated.

AQW  Post #: 4
9/11/2016 21:01:22   
orc orc orc

While unfinished games can patched over time, the damage have already been done. Take No Man's Sky for example. It lost a majority of its playerbase within a few weeks. While fixes may improve the situation, the past notoriety may still persist, which can prove difficult for the game to regain players.

I certainly do not want AQ3D to fall into this scenario. AE already has rough times with its declining playerbase and revenue, so a rough start would be salt to the wound. Perhaps even the final nail to the coffin. AQ3D is necessary for the studio's survival. It needs to be at tip-top condition before it's launched. That's why I would much rather have a delay over a rush.

< Message edited by orc orc orc -- 9/11/2016 21:02:29 >
Post #: 5
9/12/2016 5:10:45   
Vypie

When I show the game to people or they see me playing, I mostly receive two types of comments:

"Yeah it looks cool, but the combat is too basic and boring."
"Why is it that every time I look at the game its always doing the same thing." (regarding standing still vs a zombie, auto-attacking with the occasional skill over and over, for example)

The reasons are because looking at someone playing isn't very exciting.
Even when there's different things happening, it doesn't really make you change the way you play.

Rogues have it worse. Their skills are about doing a succession of moves to make a combo. They have some depth and synergy between skills, but they can't be used in any other way.
There's little you can do to adapt your skills to a different need. It gets old because its always the same, you know?
For this to become more exciting and fun, we need battles to be more about reacting to the need of each moment or the development of the battle. Not about doing the same thing vs every enemy.

The game is not BAD. It just lacks things. That can be good, it means there's a room for extra features and improvement, rather than having a lot of complexity and still being a failure.
In my opinion this game has a solid base. But I don't feel its ready for launch just yet. The game needs more than extra content.
I don't want to feel like the game will head in a direction where each update is simply adding more of the same basic thing. New monsters, items, dungeons zones, quests, but leaving the game design element unimproved... :(
And its not about adding more classes or skills. That's still simply adding more on top of the same system.

I understand there's limitations and not everything will be possible. And its still just Beta! But by Open beta, you would expect the game to have a bit more flavor to it, regarding the 'playing' part.

For the first time since I've been playing this game, I'm worried. I believe in it so much, and I want it to be successful... But I'm worried. It feels like it almost reached the point of no return.
If the combat element is not addressed as soon as possible, it will be too late. (You don't activate your rocket boosters after being in mid-air. You activate them as you reach the ramp. Literal launching here!)

If playing the game doesn't feel fun, players will feel the grinding so much more. When a game is truly fun, you don't need objectives or rewards to have a good time, right?
Right now, I'm noticing that the good feelings this game has to offer happen when:
-The item drops, finally/Yay got the armor I wanted!
-You have a good social time with other players. (although this doesn't count for the example)
-You completed the zone/quest/dungeon!

But the actual part of DOING it doesn't feel fun. If all the fun you get is from feeling accomplished and not from the actual playing, then something can be improved.
You don't want players to feel like the best part of the game is when things 'get finally over with' and you don't have to do them anymore.

< Message edited by Vypie -- 9/12/2016 5:15:44 >
Epic  Post #: 6
9/12/2016 5:13:43   
LurkBlackSmith

Yeah, I would like to see the game delayed also. No rushing, while we'll be enjoying all the other games holiday releases. While everybody will be occupied with FFXV, KH3, and other coming out games afterwards. Also AE gets the time to study their construction and deconstruction.
spoiler:

(Reference from another Chinese novel: World of Cultivation)

< Message edited by LurkBlackSmith -- 9/12/2016 5:47:32 >
DF  Post #: 7
9/12/2016 5:48:16   
Shiny_Underpants

Er, I think some of the problems may have arisen from the engine not being designed around a particular combat system. Thus, any change significant enough to make things interesting will be a fairly large endeavour.

I agree with the above posts about the combat system.

The game is unplayable for a casual gamer.
Post #: 8
9/12/2016 16:34:42   
Azan

I do agree that the combat system is the game's biggest problem. There have been some good ideas thrown around in the Feedback thread to make fights more interesting.

Other than that, I'm also of the opinion that some pther things deserve to be worked on: drop rates, leveling system, craft system... I agree with orc orc orc: Mogloween is not really the most important thing right now, though it does look really fun.

Dungeons are also something that could use more diversity instead of just 'kill all the super strong mobs!". For me, the "get the lever to remove roots" in the Livingstone dungeons is a very good example of how fun a well-thought dungeon can be: it made me do teamwork with my fellow players. I aggroed all the mobs with Shadow Wolf and kept running in circles while the two other players looked around for the lever and activated it. That's just way more fun than having to kill dozens of mobs, one by one.

Overall this game is on a very good path to become good, and I'll keep playing it actively. I just think that it needs some improvements here and there before Open Beta/Launch.
Post #: 9
9/13/2016 9:32:23   
RKC

What about all alpha armors in AQW
AQ DF MQ Epic  Post #: 10
9/14/2016 10:24:33   
LuentrixGames

Is there going to be a reset once Open Beta launches? i read on the website that there will be one
Post #: 11
9/14/2016 14:00:27   
Dr Disrespect
Helpful!

This is the response I got when I had asked Cysero a month ago on Twitter:
quote:

Cysero
‏@Cysero
@GojetaDragonAE We hope not, but this is beta so you never know. It's always good to assume there will be.

Link to tweet

In any case keep your eyes on the design notes, if there is another reset the Staff will mention it well in advance.

< Message edited by GojetaDragon08 -- 9/14/2016 14:01:10 >
Post #: 12
9/15/2016 14:25:52   
Nightmare AQW

I haven't played this game in a really long time, are there any items in that game right now that will be going rare when beta starts?

DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 13
9/15/2016 19:12:30   
orc orc orc

@above The only items confirmed to be rare are the Alpha Knight set, Kickstarter items, Dragon Guardian package and the promotional giveaway capes e.g. 2P and MMOBomb capes. iirc the HeroMart cape may go rare as well. The Crown of Twigs was an April Fool's item but it may return next year.

So far many items like the Red Cape and Shovel Blade are removed from the game, but are likely returning. Their stats have not been sorted out yet, most of them have default stats
(Health, Attack, Mana, Defense)

< Message edited by orc orc orc -- 9/15/2016 19:18:46 >
Post #: 14
9/18/2016 22:01:57   
Nightmare AQW

The guardian items are leaving? Someone else told me that they were permanent. If I click buy guardian from the login page what rare things(s) come with it? I just want to be sure because I'm a rare collector and only spend my money on those types of items.
DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 15
9/19/2016 9:34:41   
Dr Disrespect
Helpful!

@Nightmare AQW
This is the response I got when I had asked Cysero in the past.

quote:

Krenos_AQ3D ‏@GojetaDragonAE
@Cysero
Will the Collector's Edition Guardian Package be going rare in the future or is it a permanent addition?

quote:

Cysero
‏@Cysero
@GojetaDragonAE we will probably eventually replace it with other packages but they might cycle out.

Link to tweet

In any case, I'm sure that the Staff will inform us well in advance through the design notes.
Post #: 16
9/19/2016 16:50:38   
Nightmare AQW

Oh I see, will just have to wait then. And there's nothing like Star Sword this time right?
DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 17
10/3/2016 21:38:42   
hunter71485

Still no specific date in October?
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 18
10/15/2016 15:38:52   
LyRein

I've been saying this for ages (for months even) that people will not play this game unless the combat is good

no-one listened to me! xD
Post #: 19
10/16/2016 2:48:38   
*Nova*

Oh, People listened or at least some did. I've seen countless of combat alterations for suggestion (some better than others). The Staff won't listen, though. I have no idea why they think the combat is good enough to even be considered for a game. To have a nice relaxing casual game to play on the couch/needs to be simple enough to be on mobile just sound like a stupid excuse.

If I hear someone still saying "it's still in Beta! it's still in Beta!'' Well, guess what? People said that when it was in Alpha, now it's going to be coming out and I still see very minimal improvements. It's no wonder this particular forums is so dead right now as opposed to how decently populated it was before when the game had potential.

< Message edited by *Nova* -- 10/16/2016 3:00:57 >
DF MQ  Post #: 20
10/16/2016 19:20:14   
LyRein

had asked Cy while back if they planned on making more skills, more than the current 4, he said no.
asked if he would at least make it special, like triggering effects, special combo activations, etc. no reply.

so i have little hope left for the combat system.

by the looks of it atm it's aqw3d lol
Post #: 21
10/16/2016 21:59:27   
orc orc orc

Besides, rebalancing, they're working on mostly things unrelated (directly) to gameplay. No word at all on combat whatsoever. At this state they're planning to release the game?

I am aware there ARE improvements coming soon. But when the combat- the crux of the gameplay- remains the same, it's hard for the game to find success. AQ3D is competing with hundreds of MMOs out there, many of them have more fleshed-out combat. Why would players want to play AQ3D?

Closed Beta has mostly been a waste. I do know that Zhoom wasn't there for a few weeks, but I'm pretty sure a time-span over two months was ample for a handful of gameplay updates. But we got close to none. (Not counting the Guardian rider and other similar patches; even if they are considered, the patches are still minimal) If they're going to rebalance the game, player testing and feedback would've helped a lot. The patches need not be a full release, they just need to improve, or try to improve the game. That's what's Beta's for. We're building the game, step by step. But that didn't fully happen in Closed Beta.

Closed Beta was rather fruitless, so Open Beta is probably the last hope for the game before it leaves testing phase. I've heard the combat is being finalized some point during Beta, hopefully that isn't over. However, the game is pretty much launched in Open Beta. It's open to the horizons. At this stage of the game, it's expected by many to have established its gameplay mechanics, namely combat. If they do not appeal to the masses, they may not want to bother testing. Thus, the game will be wounded. Recovery isn't impossible, but it's a back-breaking ordeal. That's why I'd rather have the game released at a more complete state. But, that isn't the path the game chooses to go.

I still have hope for the game, though I am losing it. Until I see monumental improvements to the game, I'm sharply skeptical of AQ3D's footsteps. I fear it may start to hemorrhage and eventually fall, like the other AE games are now.
Post #: 22
10/17/2016 2:33:58   
megakyle777

I'd like to point that with combat and classes, not everything is feature complete yet. We know classes will have their skills morphablle to fit various tasks, and we know thanks to the kick starter that effects will be added to things like bosses when they get that working. And while yes open beta will be the first time new people come in, I don't think it will be as disaterious as you think. As for features, I heard from Artix that if all goes well item fusion will happen shortly after open beta launch, so it looks like HOPEFULLY things will ramp up with Open Beta.

...Assuming that nothing else goes wrong.
DF  Post #: 23
10/17/2016 11:21:50   
orc orc orc

quote:

I'd like to point that with combat and classes, not everything is feature complete yet.

That's part of the problem with AQ3D's combat. While I'm certainly not asking for a complete, polished combat system, it is something that should have been worked on during Alpha. At the current state, it feels underdeveloped, even for beta. It's not just me, there are other players who feel similarly.

It's not impossible for the game to succeed, but releasing Open Beta at this time is risky. Without a convincing and sufficient combat system for beta standards, it could struggle gaining players in the long run. Such a decision can hurt more than it helps, unless there is intensive care and effort put into the game.

Nevertheless, we don't have much of a choice. It's the devs' decision to launch the game, and we have go move on. If the combat remains the same, I hope the rest of the gameplay is enjoyable. I'm aware there will be improvements to the game flow, as well as a few graphical updates. To attract new players, the game needs to be enjoyable. Closed Beta was rather nightmarish with its imbalanced level curve, so I hope Open Beta brings a smoother experience.

I also hope there will be improvements to gameplay in general in Open Beta. While it is late, it is necessary for combat to be developed. AQ3D still has the potential. The question is, will it meet it?
Post #: 24
10/17/2016 11:35:33   
megakyle777

Personally, I disagree. The combat may be a bit stale, yes I agree there. But it works, and it's a solid frame to build on. Where I take gripe is content personally, but seeing as Shadowskull Tower will probably go live tomorrow it's a ripe that is less important. To throw new mechanics in right now as OB launche would complicate development.

To add to this, I seem to recall in earlier dn's that the environmental effects would go live with Shadowskull Tower. Assuming they did not mean basic stuff like levers which are in Nightlocke, we can expect a few surprises in Open Beta.

I think what they need to do is get controls right for mobile first. I have not played on mobile but I hear they need improvement. Get mobile controls right people will follow.

< Message edited by megakyle777 -- 10/17/2016 11:37:24 >
DF  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest 3D] >> AdventureQuest 3D General Discussion >> =AQ3D= Design Notes September 10th, 2016: ANNOUNCEMENT! Open Beta Launch in October
Page 1 of 212>
Jump to:

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition