Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=MECH= A missing Oxford comma costs a dairy company $5 million

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> =MECH= A missing Oxford comma costs a dairy company $5 million
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2/22/2018 12:26:06   
  Master Samak
Productive!
Steward Leprechaun
L&L

=MECH= Grammar/Punctuation

The New York Times article: Oxford Comma Dispute Is Settled as Maine Drivers Get $5 Million
Snopes.com article: Drivers, and Oxford Comma, Come Up Big in Lawsuit Settlement

First things first—What is an Oxford comma? It is the comma used before the final item of a list (used before the final "and" describing three or more items).
Take the following sentence:
quote:

"I traveled with my friends, a horse, and a dog."
The comma after "a horse" is the Oxford comma. It helps to make clear that I am traveling with three distinct entities. 1) My friends. 2) A horse. 3) A dog.

The Oxford comma is a matter of style for many and a matter of steadfastness for others. It depends on your wording. In the case of my sentence here, look what happens if I withhold the Oxford comma:
quote:

"I traveled with my friends, a horse and a dog."
Oh no! Wait, what does this mean now? Am I still traveling with three distinct entities or am I now traveling with just my friends, who happen to be a horse and a dog? I mean, it's not impossible for me to be traveling with just a horse and a dog, and it's also not impossible for them to be my friends! But I meant something else! Ah! Confusion!

The above example barely scratches the surface of style vs. necessity, but at least in the legal world the the Oxford comma (or lack of it) has proved financially to be very much a necessity. Cue the two links above!

Published earlier this month is a report that due to a section in the U.S. state of Maine law books being unclear in meaning, because there wasn't an Oxford comma to clearly detail a list, a dairy company has settled a lawsuit by paying five million dollars to overtime employees. Five million dollars! That's crazy! And all because of grammar!

You can find the problem section quoted in the Times article. It is more complex than the sentence I gave, written in "legalese," but not complex enough to escape the argument for an Oxford comma.

What about you? Do you use the Oxford (or serial, Harvard, series) comma? Why or why not?

< Message edited by Master Samak -- 2/22/2018 12:29:10 >
AQ DF  Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> =MECH= A missing Oxford comma costs a dairy company $5 million
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition