Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=ED= EpicDuel Gameplan 2018

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> =ED= EpicDuel Gameplan 2018
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/28/2018 0:21:05   
One Winged Angel1357

quote:

July 27, 2018
EpicDuel Gameplan 2018
When I first made a post on Twitter a few months ago about adding some new Arcade games to EpicDuel, I had no idea that post would gain so much momentum as to place me smack dab in the middle of Delta V development once again. I was pleasantly surprised by the response, and everyone up the chain noticed as well: There is still a TON of love for EpicDuel, even after a prolonged absence of development. Iím glad and grateful that you stuck around, with many players returning from a hiatus to see where this thread leads.

Since now weíre a few releases deep, some of you have requested that I outline the goals for EpicDuelís future development. I have tried to make it clear to maintain ďreasonableĒ expectations as I am not a programmer. I can make tweaks to existing content and expand certain features, but any massive change or feature is outside of my capabilities. Of course, once word gets out that EpicDuel is back in development, rumors and speculation run wild! Thatís another reason to make this post: Get ahead of these rumors before they become fact in the minds of the community. However, donít let that stifle the creativity in your suggestions! Recently, Titan announced that heíll be available for some small features soon! Artix notices when players react strongly to an update so if Titanís involvement boosts morale and engagement, it could lead to more sessions with the ActionScript demigod!

Please understand that this plan is not a contract. Events beyond my control could dictate something new that I hadnít anticipated which could disrupt the schedule. This happens. Itís always happened. It wouldnít be Artix Entertainment without a little chaos, would it? I could also decide on my own that something needs to change because I feel itís a good decision for the game. Also, some goals are purposefully vague because Iím not yet fully confident in my ability to deliver, especially some of the mid-term content. Expect this game plan to be further revised and refined as time goes on.

With that said, letís get to the good stuff, shall we?

Short-Term Goals

First, thanks for getting us here! I wouldnít be working on EpicDuel updates at all if my initial efforts were met with crickets. That enthusiasm keeps Delta V in business!

In the immediate future you can expect more of what youíve already seen. Balance tweaks, maintenance, and additional content. EpicDuel has mountains of features that are sorely underutilized, so Iíll try to add where I can. I think itís been maybe 5 years since we added faction flag designs so this most recent update saw a big expansion there. In general, Iíd like to give each update something fresh to keep players excited and happy to log in again, especially if it expands on a neglected feature.

Beyond the week-to-week updates, I hope to implement some small, yet frequently requested features. With a limited time from Titan, buyback shops and gender change are real possibilities (not guarantees as we havenít started on them yet!). Itís also reasonable to expect additional quality of life improvements.

I hope that Titan can also help add more safeguards against botting. We do have a system that flags botting activity and makes it harder for botters to find matches, but as with any system, players will find a clever way to break the rules. Captcha has been mentioned as although it was in the game before, it was imperfect. We may be able to figure out a method to thwart bots that is both effective, easy to implement, and not obtrusive for players who arenít botting.

Finally, Iím always working on developing new War prizes. This is ongoing, but it still takes up some time thatís not accounted for by regular release items. Soon, Iíd like to add the ability for those in the losing Alignment with enough influence to purchase the top War prize. This might help alleviate the lopsidedness of the War in its current state.

Short-term goals will also be dictated largely by player demand. Obviously, some requests are not feasible given restrictions of time, money, limitations of the physical plane, etcÖ but thereís no harm in asking. To further involve the community, I would like to host more contests. This Fall (September/October), expect a new Halloween/Harvest home decorating contest with some exciting rewards!

Mid-Term Goals

Letís look beyond the hustle of weekly releases. What are we working toward? Whatís coming next month? In August/September Iíd like to restart EpicDuelís storyline after itís long hiatus. I feel that with all the events and seasonal content, thereís very little actually devoted to the core storyline and characters of EpicDuel. I hope to rectify that soon in a convergence of the Heartbreaker and Dragonoid sagas.

As the storyline progresses, that also means expanding into areas that have been locked since Alpha and dusting off NPCs who have up until now only served as glorified shopkeepers and/or punching bags. There are also a handful of new areas Iíd like to introduce to ease the congestion in certain regions. The timeframe for this is 6 months to a year because introducing new regions and drawing environments is very time-consuming.

New areas could also mean the expansion of the War system. Many players have voiced their concerns about the stale nature of the War in itís current state and some new regions to contest could add some much-needed spice. By November, Iíd like at least one new region available for War, hopefully with some additional improvements to Factions.

Factions, Factions, Factions. I think boosting Factions could be the #1 best feature for establishing long-term engagement in EpicDuel. Remember War Cannons? Those were cool. Influence for everything? That was neat. I really believe we need more reasons to be in Factions outside of Wars, but solving that will probably take some time.

I had originally hoped that Wars like the original Infernal War could drive the EpicDuel storyline, and most players have very fond memories of it. It had all the right ingredients: A ticking clock, new mechanics, boss fights, dynamic NPC fights, prizes at different milestones, and an end goal determined by the winner. It might be outside the realm of possibility to build a turnkey system for Wars of that complexity, but itís worth trying.

Itís hard to talk about the 2018 horizon without mentioning Gifting, which will be returning for sure. This year, since EpicDuel will have dedicated development time, you can expect more prizes in addition to a new promotional package. I would also like to finally incorporate my Titanfraggr storyline into the release, which is an absurd folktale concocted by Big Tuna and I that has yet to be realized in game.

After Christmas, EpicDuel will start the new year in earnest with a revisit to the Dread Planes and finally explore the caverns beneath the crags and dunes.

The final mid-term goal that had not averted my attention is addressing the question of Passive skills. Every day I see dozens of requests for the return of Passives. I donít disagree that Passives were useful and may have a place yet in game. If possible, Iíd like to reintroduce them in a way that doesnít sacrifice the dynamic and strategic nature of Active skills for a basic skill point dump. This doesnít mean Iím doing it for sure, just that Iím open to it.

While I donít think we would introduce new classes into EpicDuel, Iím interested in ďcompletingĒ the existing classes by taking overlapping skills and making them unique, especially the ultimates. What kind of ultimate skill would a Blood Mage really use? Itís been a weird quirk thatís bothered me since Delta and has left the expansion classes feeling ďunfinishedĒ to me. This might very well be a long-term goal, but itís worth thinking about now.

Long-Term Goals

These goals are probably the hardest to define at Artix Entertainment. The companyís DNA compels it to be agile and responsive to the latest pop-culture trends so changes in short-term goals can completely derail anything 1-2 years away. This makes the work environment dynamic and exciting with rapid releases and respond more directly to player input than most developers could dream. This can also be frustrating for developers and players alike. Fortunately, as AE has matured as a company it has taken more serious steps to consider the 1-5 year time horizons, especially since Adobe forced our hand.

The grim shadow that hovers over EpicDuel and all other AE games is the impending demise of Flash in 2020. What are we going to do about that? Our answer to that is in the Artix Launcher. This will provide players a way to access the Flash games well past the 2020 drop-dead date. There will also probably be fringe browser and workarounds that still support Flash well into the future so players who still wish to duel in EpicDuel will have a way to do so. EpicDuel will remain alive and playable for the foreseeable future. Apocalypse averted. Mostly.

ďBut what about future projects? EpicDuel 2, perhaps?Ē Currently, there are no new EpicDuel-related projects in development. However, a mobile version of AdventureQuest Worlds is in development. Thatís not EpicDuel, BUT it will serve as a proof of concept and a platform to build other games on top of. If AQW: GO succeeds, a mobile version of EpicDuel has a much better chance of being greenlit.

ďWhy canít you just do it now?Ē Titan and I had quite a bit of independence when we first joined with Artix Entertainment. Now, our roles are intermingled with other projects not under our control so in order to get the resources (time, money, staff) necessary to build a new project, we would need permission from Artix, much like we had to do with BioBeasts. Unfortunately, thereís only so much time, money, and people to go around and most of any available resources are devoured by AQ3D and AQW mobile.

If this reality makes you angry, I understand. I know there have been plenty of times when Iíve looked to big developers that made some of my favorite games and thought, ďWhy donít you just make a new X?! Youíd make so much money!Ē I could only think this at the time because before Twitter existed if you wanted to yell at a developer you had to look up their address and send them a letter. I suppose thatís the joy of being independent, right? If you want to DO something, you can just DO IT! You might have to eat garbage and throw your health down the toilet for a year and a half, but thereís nobody to tell you ďNo!Ē

Thatís really dour, huh? Sorry about that, but itís one of those things thatís difficult to articulate for anyone who hasnít been down that road. However, if I could offer any advice for those who wish in their bones for EpicDuel Mobile/3D/VR/BR to be on the horizon, it would be to get loud about how much you love EpicDuel and crave more. Not so much at me. I KNOW! I see your posts. Tell the Paladin himself! Tell people you know whoíve never heard of EpicDuel to check it out and get loud! Bring friends back who quit! Budget is very important when determining future projects, but demand is also a huge component. I canít guarantee this will work, but itís the best way to get the green light for new projects using the EpicDuel IP.

Thatís the plan for now. Itís vaguer than I would have liked, but I think I underestimated how useful it was to brainstorm with Titan, Charfade, and Rabblefroth. We spent many mornings filling out Post-it notes over coffee while planning our short, mid, and long-term goals for EpicDuel. It worked because who knew each otherís strengths and abilities and thus could determine what would be a 1-2 day project vs. a 1-2 week project. Omega was a particularly vicious crucible for honing those abilities. Going solo has been simultaneously harder and more rewarding than I could possibly imagine as I seem to need to relearn all those planning skills again, while holding MYSELF accountable as my strongest and most ruthless critic. I canít promise I can deliver on all these goals, but with your support and strength we can continue to build the best EpicDuel we can for as long and Iím here!

Duel On!

Nightwraith

Tags: Nightwraith

Stickied ~Battle Elf

< Message edited by Battle Elf -- 7/28/2018 9:28:25 >
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 1
7/28/2018 3:03:22   
Adoshia

This giant piece of information made me so happy to read through, even though none of it's guaranteed it's still a joy to see the game plans, ended up covering these notes on my channel took me 24 minutes to discuss all I needed to discuss but man is it such a great thing to see the game have so much more life added to it. I'm excited to see all they plan to do, and even if only a few of the total number of ideas and iterations get applied to the game I'd be happy. I believe we have a bright future to look forward to in my opinion!
Epic  Post #: 2
7/28/2018 3:39:10   
Silver Sky Magician

Very pleasantly surprised indeed, glad that NW has gone so far as to consider continuing the main storyline.
Post #: 3
7/28/2018 8:05:48   
RaXZerGamingZ

One thing I want to mention is how he calls passive skills "basic skill point dump" but isn't that already in the game with the energy regeneration skills? Battery Backup, Assimilation, Static Grenade, etc all are Maxed out on every build so it doesnt make much sense to me especially when i have seen reroute often times not maxed out

< Message edited by RaXZerGamingZ -- 7/28/2018 8:06:17 >
Post #: 4
7/28/2018 8:32:49   
8x

quote:

buyback shops and gender change are real possibilities (not guarantees as we havenít started on them yet!)

Big possibility of a giant mess up there, hopefully they take their time and don't rush them out, if they decide to attempt implementing them.
Epic  Post #: 5
7/28/2018 8:42:06   
One Winged Angel1357

@raxzer most of the passive skills combo'd with pre-10x math didn't do much of anything beyond level 7 where the scaling for the skills slowed.

Best way NW could approach this is to make them intrinsic skills around what they were at level 5 so you don't have to put any skills in them and it helps rebuild class identity along with removing overlapping skills
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 6
7/28/2018 9:01:42   
RaXZerGamingZ

Alright, thanks
Post #: 7
8/1/2018 12:30:40   
One Winged Angel1357

NW just tweeted out a preview of the buyback shop if you want to check it out.

It's exactly what you'd think it is for a varium buy back shop
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 8
8/12/2018 9:45:39   
martinsen5

A mobile version of Epic Duel would be a huge success. The online aspect as well as turn based combat works much better on mobile than a 3D AQW MMO premise ever would. Hope to see that happen one day
AQW Epic  Post #: 9
8/12/2018 10:14:31   
  Digital X

Beep Beep! ArchKnight AQ / ED

Looking forward to see how the story line develops, as that progress it could eventually open up new areas to explore or return to those ones less visited. I know quest chains are definitely keeping me hooked even at the moment so more is always welcome.

For me the buyback shop was a huge leap in the right direction. When I was low on credits and fancied a new shiny item I didn't think twice and just sold them left, right and centre. Such a joy to have some old memories available again.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 10
8/24/2018 8:13:59   
Xendran

This genre of game has a lot of potential, and is still exceedingly unique despite the ridiculously huge mobile game boom.

EpicDuel shares many similarities to digital CCGs such as Hearthstone, Eternal, and Shadowverse. Looking at things from that perspective can give some good insights on where to take the game.
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 11
9/14/2018 23:46:36   
Goony
Constructive!

Ok, since OWA directly sparked some of the content of the gameplan because he bought a private conversation onto twitter and I had played a bit of ED recently. Not much because balance still requires a lot of work to be done to the skill trees and I see very little reference to that or introducing new cores apart from this statement.
quote:

While I donít think we would introduce new classes into EpicDuel, Iím interested in ďcompletingĒ the existing classes by taking overlapping skills and making them unique, especially the ultimates. What kind of ultimate skill would a Blood Mage really use? Itís been a weird quirk thatís bothered me since Delta and has left the expansion classes feeling ďunfinishedĒ to me. This might very well be a long-term goal, but itís worth thinking about now.

Maybe check this 2015 thread for inspiration:
http://forums2.battleon.com/f/tm.asp?m=22044884&mpage=1&key=class%2Cskills�

Or even go further back in time to 2014:
http://forums2.battleon.com/f/tm.asp?m=21587801

Want some ideas about cores, here are a few:
http://forums2.battleon.com/f/tm.asp?m=21022311

So, to respond directly to the part of the gameplan that was focused partially at my statements on twitter:

quote:

ďBut what about future projects? EpicDuel 2, perhaps?Ē Currently, there are no new EpicDuel-related projects in development. However, a mobile version of AdventureQuest Worlds is in development. Thatís not EpicDuel, BUT it will serve as a proof of concept and a platform to build other games on top of. If AQW: GO succeeds, a mobile version of EpicDuel has a much better chance of being greenlit.

ďWhy canít you just do it now?Ē Titan and I had quite a bit of independence when we first joined with Artix Entertainment. Now, our roles are intermingled with other projects not under our control so in order to get the resources (time, money, staff) necessary to build a new project, we would need permission from Artix, much like we had to do with BioBeasts. Unfortunately, thereís only so much time, money, and people to go around and most of any available resources are devoured by AQ3D and AQW mobile.

If this reality makes you angry, I understand. I know there have been plenty of times when Iíve looked to big developers that made some of my favorite games and thought, ďWhy donít you just make a new X?! Youíd make so much money!Ē I could only think this at the time because before Twitter existed if you wanted to yell at a developer you had to look up their address and send them a letter. I suppose thatís the joy of being independent, right? If you want to DO something, you can just DO IT! You might have to eat garbage and throw your health down the toilet for a year and a half, but thereís nobody to tell you ďNo!Ē

Thatís really dour, huh? Sorry about that, but itís one of those things thatís difficult to articulate for anyone who hasnít been down that road. However, if I could offer any advice for those who wish in their bones for EpicDuel Mobile/3D/VR/BR to be on the horizon, it would be to get loud about how much you love EpicDuel and crave more. Not so much at me. I KNOW! I see your posts. Tell the Paladin himself! Tell people you know whoíve never heard of EpicDuel to check it out and get loud! Bring friends back who quit! Budget is very important when determining future projects, but demand is also a huge component. I canít guarantee this will work, but itís the best way to get the green light for new projects using the EpicDuel IP.

I could just refer to Xendrans post above and say ditto!

I won't thou! I was a member of the team when Omega was implemented and due to the NDA I signed have remained silent about what occurred during that time. I know that the game has evolved over the years and many, many features have been introduced that adobe never envisioned being used when flash/AS3 was created. The game has brought much joy to many people over the years, so credit must be given to both Nightwraith and Titan for what they created on a platform basically designed for making animated advertisements.

I had a discussion with Nightwraith, Charfade, Korin and OWA about the EpicDuel IP (Intellectual Property) about 6 months ago. To keep this brief, it was about rebuilding the game using the Unity Engine. Now I am no programmer and certainly not a digital artist and so the focus was on what could I do to help to make the transition possible. Don't get me wrong I can understand the basic principles and have used the Unity Engine and what I lack in skill I can overcome most obstacles using pure determination.

In my mind I still believe that Epic Duel has some legs and never reached its full potential. It's never going to using the Flash engine! There is a distinct lack of foresight being demonstrated by "The Paladin" and perhaps he should repay the fact that we helped keep his company afloat during some tough times by allowing Nightwraith to create a team to help him build the new Epic Duel. I'm not talking about money here, because this could be done by members of this community all we need is permission to use assets that are essentially yours anyway Nightwraith. Yes, the code needs to be re-written, but that isn't to difficult, what would be difficult would be to re-create all the art assets. To use an old quote "If we build it they will come"

Don't leave the long term fate of the game in the hands of people who don't care about the game. It's not up to us Nightwraith, I know you love the game, we can't make a dent in that Paladins armor. I've tried and all that I ever get back is pull ya head in. It's all up to you mate. Don't put it back on us! But, if you can somehow manage to get a green light on this watch us jump on board to help.

Kind Regards,
Dean aka G00NY
Epic  Post #: 12
10/3/2018 3:57:50   
Remorse

^
@ Goony & Xendran

Couldn't agree more,
So much time has passed since when I first started ED and I still feel like a hole needs filling after I quit.

A reworked ED would be honestly so perfect for mobile.

ED brings something a little extra to the concept of turn based card style games and that is the role playing aspect.

I really enjoy card games but they dont have the player character attachment that RPG games can bring.

Admitingly though I think ED has made a few desgin decesions that have caused me to lose interest in the build making and competing side of the game.
I don't think it's fair to fault anyone however because everyone has their own opinion of what they prefer.

I just wish that if they ever do decide to remake ED, perhaps for mobile, that they consider to reintroduce passive skills perhaps as a seperate tree. Passives are important because the over population of active skills seems to just remove all build opportunity cost, and build weaknesses. Which seems to lead to battles of the stronger actives and less about playing to your strengths and to your oppo enets weaknesses.

When the game had a relatively small active skill pool it suprisingly seemed to add to complexity due to being able to track your opponenets options and understand what they can or cant do for the next few turns made the game suprisingly strategic. Now it just seems your opponenet has no strong weaknesses and if you use a shield for example they will always have cooldowns of the other damage type.

Regardless I have heaps of fond memorys of ED and I hope it has a future.

Cheers,

Remorse.

Epic  Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> =ED= EpicDuel Gameplan 2018
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition