Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: Stat Balance Project - With Spreadsheets

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> Game Balance Issues >> RE: Stat Balance Project - With Spreadsheets
Page 3 of 4<1234>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3/3/2019 7:59:10   
I Overlord I

Level cap -> 360, when?
AQ  Post #: 51
3/3/2019 14:33:55   
Kaelin

@Primate Murder: I think that's partly reflective of the way we've handled END surges/penalties in the past. Depending on whether we continue with that approach or try another one, we'll end up pricing upkeep differently. That said, (1) END is going to get hit HARD, because it's still incredibly powerful even under heavily-skewed assumptions, and (2) I'd like for us to assume +DEX user will be a Ranged weapon user rather than one who just benefits from its other effects.

@AliceShiki: The example is just for monsters that'd go beyond L150. We're not planning to raise the cap.
AQ  Post #: 52
3/3/2019 19:10:51   
Ryu Draco

Sorry, but I'm a little confused about your comments on END. Just how is it considered too powerful when every piece of build advice I see in the forums recommends dropping END to 0 in favor of more offensive stats like STR and LUCK?

Even your ideas on raising the stat caps to 300 before adding buffs seems in favor of Nuking setups, with say a mage using a maxed out INT and LUCK to one-or-two turn any enemies, completely erasing any need for END in the first place.
AQ  Post #: 53
3/3/2019 22:43:34   
afterlifex
Legend-X

The only way around that would be to drive burst dmg into the ground and seeing as AQ has been in such a "meta" for over decade even well before the current burst and stun meta it's not likely to happen IMO. (You also don't want to flip the issue and make End the "suggested stat" either.).

Things aren't balanced around a specific ever changing meta as is. Just because a specific sub-set or play style doesn't use X doesn't mean you buff if to no end when they won't use it anyways. You just end up with another play style that's through the roof as well just on another spectrum of play. Boosting End to 5* the current HP wouldn't fix anything. Even adding block or something wouldn't change the issue with value vs time.

You can pump monster dmg to the extreme which would have its own issues.
In the end thou End isn't easy to fix when "speed" is always favored and always has been.

(none of what I said has anything to do with the project this is all IMO)
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 54
4/2/2019 18:32:39   
Kilvakar

I know that bringing up this issue again may be poorly received by some, but as it stands the game is basically in a broken state, with the majority of builds/playstyles not very viable anymore due to all the recent rushed changes. Are the staff still working on fixing this? It seems like it should be a priority issue.
AQ  Post #: 55
4/3/2019 10:22:33   
AliceShiki
Helpful!

It is a priority issue and staff is obviously still working on it, but asking them about it won't make the update come any faster. Kaelin already said it will take a few months (which is pretty fast for KoO standards, mind you) before this is finished.

... And pretty much any build is still as viable as before, honestly. *shrugs*
AQ  Post #: 56
4/18/2019 17:04:02   
Kaelin

Update on my status: I've cleared a big milestone for my degree but will probably be swamped with classes until mid-June as suspected. If I can get ahead on some things, work may continue earlier.
AQ  Post #: 57
4/18/2019 17:40:02   
AliceShiki
Helpful!

Ganbatte! >.<

And good luck! Hope everything goes well for you! ^^)/

And take your time I guess? We're not going anywhere after all~
AQ  Post #: 58
4/26/2019 23:42:50   
Warrox

when the stats cap changed to 250 i wanted to put my endurance in the other stats i have which is STR, DEX, and LUCK "pure warrior" i think it is called but if i have understood this then DEX will get way worse for me?
AQ  Post #: 59
4/27/2019 21:13:02   
AliceShiki
Helpful!

@Warrox When the update goes through, if it goes with the current plan staff has in mind, DEX will become a more defensive stat instead of the "one stat to rule them all".

It will become a viable option instead of a no-brainer stat, rather you use it or not is up to you~
AQ  Post #: 60
4/30/2019 23:06:54   
Warrox

the reason i got DEX is because of the %bonus hit for my attacks and for the dodge maybe i am just stupid but i am not sure what they are changing here
AQ  Post #: 61
5/1/2019 14:22:37   
AliceShiki
Helpful!

Staff's plan is to make your accuracy rely mainly on your mainstat (STR for melee, DEX for ranged, INT for magic), so DEX would no longer be a necessity for getting a high accuracy.

On the other hand, DEX would give a bigger bonus to blocking than it is giving right now, which could be pretty helpful~

DEX would also gain some influence on who starts the battle, as opposed to the current role depending solely on LUK~
AQ  Post #: 62
5/2/2019 8:30:24   
Phlox Lover

Doesn't that just make DEX even more powerful? Wouldn't it be easier to just remove DEX from blocking and dock all monsters ~25 BTH (on curve of course)?
Post #: 63
5/2/2019 11:48:06   
AliceShiki
Helpful!

@Phlox Lover Staff's current plan is removing DEX's role from Melee/Magic accuracy, so it would definitely become less powerful than it is right now.

DEX's basic purpose is to increase blocking on the other hand, so of course staff won't remove that... At that point it would basically lose anything that made it different from STR.
AQ  Post #: 64
5/3/2019 21:30:21   
Phlox Lover

so DEX retains its importance but build diversity sort of flourishes, nice, that sounds good
Post #: 65
5/5/2019 9:44:19   
VendettaX

I'm a bit late and i haven't read all entries, so I may be repeating, I may be touching an aspect of rebalance that has already been discussed.
Anyways.

I don't see how you are going to be able to make Builds not the simple, Choose Mainstat + Luck if you want offense, Add dex if you wanna min man, end if you wanna be beefier or cha for pets.

Right now the issue with rangers is that they have the same stat spread as warriors, because the damage formula for ranged stat damage weighs STR as 4x as valuable as DEX.
Loosing 50DEX means a 1.25 lesser stat damage out of a max of 31.25, excluding LSs, while loosing the same amount of STR mean loosing 4 times as much stat bonus dmg.

Ranged damage bonus should have DEX as the mainstat, str as minor stat, like every dex build works in any other game.
This would allow Rangers to drop some STR for minimal losses and speccing into either some END or a bit of whatever, like we once had builds with low points in some stats for particular strats.

I recommend the Ranged Stat Damage formula to use DEX in the place of STR, maybe include Luck in the base formula, so that it is a different archetype than the rest, and have STR as a third minor stat,
this would mean we don't have to update all SPells to scale-seek out of either STR or DEX and add a third variation to all S(P)pells, since rangers now have the option of speccing STR as third stat for min maxin stat bonuses and having more efficient SPells, or speccing into INT as a third, and being able to use spells.

Ranger is the only build that looses out damage by not speccing into a forced secondary stat (if we even see dex as a rangers main stat, which the bth formula would imply), all other stats depend only on themselves for damage, and on dex and luck for bth. Ranged bth is only dex and luck , and, even if including this third stat that is missing from bth bonus to dmg bonus is not a bad idea on itself, the application leave rangers in a state of what am i supposed to be if i depend on both STR and DEX simultaneously.

I'm not sure if removing DEX from all BTHs expect ranged is the right way to go, this would reduce build vareity a lot and simplify much of the build creating process, which is one of the things that keeps the game interesting and people experimenting with different equipment.

Right now warriors and mages can max Main stat, and CHA is they go bm, and make a DEX LUCK split, or END dump for tankiness, or they can go offensive and max DEX for bth and blocking and LUCK, or partially max them and add some END.

Rangers if they decide to go for bm builds, are forced to max both STR and DEX unless they want to say goodbye to their own damage (which is supposed to be a decent % of their per turn damage) , leaving very little leeway for a play on stats, LUCK is impossible to be maxed this way, but you are forced to for a lot of status inflicting items.

Anyways I can go on and on, but i certainly didn't plan a structured post so there may be a bit of going round and round, so I'll stop here.

TL;DR : Alter the formula so that warrior and mage still need to invest in dex if they want to min max their and their pets bth, dodge, if you remove this there is no reason for a pure mage not do use CHA for a third stat dump for Poe's. And make Rangers less dependant on STR so they can decide if they want to use STR as a second or third stat, or specc into other stats, giving rangers a unique build path and decision at the time of selecting their stats.

BTW: all formulas taken from Master List of Game Formulae
AQ  Post #: 66
5/7/2019 16:55:57   
The Wizard

My thoughts on most of these things is that they are fine, just a few concerns that I have and want to raise to make sure that they are brought up:

1) If the SP cost for guests becomes more than the SP regen then they will not be able to be kept up indefinitely. I have no issues with increasing the cost, but it seems to me that a guest, in most cases, is weaker than having a misc. Most miscs have a cost that lets them be kept active indefinitely. I therefore feel like it should only be fair to have the same thing with guests, where most of them can be kept on indefinably if you don't spend SP on other things.

2) The game mechanics already cause us to min-max a lot to be able to have a chance against most bosses and increasing the stat cap to 250 has caused this more so since we now need more points in a stat for the same effect which means less to put into other stats. If the stat cap is increased again, I feel this will become even worse since we generally need to max at least 2 stats for a build (main + one utility) and that makes for less diversity in builds as the caps increase since there are fewer points to allocate elsewhere.
AQ  Post #: 67
5/7/2019 19:10:31   
AliceShiki
Helpful!

@Above 2nd point isn't true at all? 200 stat points are giving the same benefit as they did in the past (only exception is INT, as you now need 250 INT to get full MP), but most builds prior to the 250 stat cap update would work perfectly fine without changing a single point.
AQ  Post #: 68
5/8/2019 12:46:25   
The Wizard

I didn't realize that. My main is a poe mage so I noticed the loss of ability to cast 4 spells between heals and my lower level characters have only just gotten to the point that they were able to get stats in the 200-250 range so I didn't have a baseline for them before the cap increase.
AQ  Post #: 69
5/22/2019 1:47:07   
Galactic Assassin X

In reply to Lord Markov in the other thread...

For those saying DEX is too OP, to be honest STR and INT are, too. Most spells require INT; and spells bring diversity in gameplay. Without investment into INT, you're giving up an entire section of the menu. STR on the other hand gives both Melee and Ranged damage. DEX provides both Dodge and chance to hit; but it's not like STR doesn't provide melee chance to hit nor INT providing magic chance to hit, as they do, so saying DEX is required is ridiculous considering that any nerf that makes it give ranged chance to hit only will also require STR and INT's chances to hit to be massively buffed to compensate, which could be done without nerfing DEX.

The stats are currently designed so that there's a point in investing into ones that aren't your main damage type. The current changes are removing that versatility, and instating a stat pure mentality.

Not to mention that anyone who says that DEX will be nerfed by the new change is ignoring that since DEX will now give more bonus and more dodge, DEX/LUK will be gamebreakingly OP and essentially make Ranged the best playstyle, period. Magic's versatility won't matter when Ranged wrecks everything because no one will be able to hit a Ranger. DEX already contests with END, now it will break END builds that don't also use DEX and LUK. It's forcing a certain stat setup rather than allowing for diversity of playstyle, as Vendetta already noted. At least with DEX as it is now, someone can use DEX for dodge and still have a benefit to any combat type.

This is why it's super important that the devs clarify that they'll make sure the stat changes won't force stats into specific playstyles, because from the current plan layout it looks like they will once the changes are done - STR for pure melee if the ranged damage benefit is removed, DEX for ranged only, INT for magic only, and INT would be the meta in this case if not for DEX/LUK making rangers untouchable.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 70
5/22/2019 3:14:55   
Lord Markov

INT opening up an entire resource bar has always been a contentious point, especially in the mage vs warrior debate, however it isn't really the subject at hand so I'd like to avoid opening that can of worms if possible.

Yes, STR and INT could be considered OP in relation to other stats, but with good reason, they're both main stats. Playing the game without investment in at least one main stat is not recommended, though possible with a deep enough knowledge of the game. Hopefully these changes will make DEX a mainstat that can stand on its own without it also effectively being a fake additional primary stat for other builds (more on this below).

quote:

so saying DEX is required is ridiculous considering that any nerf that makes it give ranged chance to hit only will also require STR and INT's chances to hit to be massively buffed to compensate, which could be done without nerfing DEX.

I don't personally know what all of these stats will look like after an update, so trying to take a statement about them now as representative of how they will be after the changes is silly. As it stands now, DEX is "required" in addition to a main stat of INT or STR because half of the accuracy for both melee and magic comes from it. Even more accuracy comes from it if you choose to play with pets and guests that aren't boosters, as they also get half of their accuracy from dex. Half of your accuracy for damage coming from one stat is not insignificant.

True, it's possible to play without DEX if you want to play hybrid, have some rare and premium items that can boost your chances to hit without relying on DEX so much, or you simply don't care about losing half of your accuracy, but for most people this is either too inconvenient to be practical or straight up impossible.

As you say, if DEX is removed from the accuracy equation of melee and magic weapons and pets/guests, then that accuracy will be replaced by those stats, but as it stands DEX is basically a fake additional primary stat for melee and magic builds, and even more so for most beast builds.

quote:

The stats are currently designed so that there's a point in investing into ones that aren't your main damage type. The current changes are removing that versatility, and instating a stat pure mentality.

I can agree with you on this, the most recent 250 stat update simply made Pure builds even more stupidly good than before while either leaving other builds at the same level of power or hurting them to an extent. The aim of revamping how the stats work is supposed to address this, and changing DEX is part of that.

quote:

Not to mention that anyone who says that DEX will be nerfed by the new change is ignoring that since DEX will now give more bonus and more dodge, DEX/LUK will be gamebreakingly OP and essentially make Ranged the best playstyle, period. Magic's versatility won't matter when Ranged wrecks everything because no one will be able to hit a Ranger. DEX already contests with END, now it will break END builds that don't also use DEX and LUK. It's forcing a certain stat setup rather than allowing for diversity of playstyle, as Vendetta already noted. At least with DEX as it is now, someone can use DEX for dodge and still have a benefit to any combat type.

It's possible, I guess. But players really don't hit anyway these days because of celerity and turn-skipping effects that are inflicted on monsters left and right. Dodging is redundant if the monster never even acts (though that's another issue entirely).
You're right DEX already contests with END, because END is mostly a junk stat. The only time it becomes occasionally relevant is during some wars which feature a glass cannon that can sometimes get lucky and one-shot you since you're wearing a warring armor instead of a proper resisting one. People play with END out of preference, not because they need it, and the same will still be true in the future unless END gets so nerfed it becomes unusable.
To a certain degree the same is true with warriors or FD players. People use them even though they're sub optimal to switch things up, or for RP purposes, even though mages are far and away superior. Even if a new god build did arise, it wouldn't change the fact that these people playing less streamlined characters are doing so because they want to and unless those builds get shredded directly by nerfs, they'll keep using them.

quote:

This is why it's super important that the devs clarify that they'll make sure the stat changes won't force stats into specific playstyles, because from the current plan layout it looks like they will once the changes are done - STR for pure melee if the ranged damage benefit is removed, DEX for ranged only, INT for magic only, and INT would be the meta in this case if not for DEX/LUK making rangers untouchable.

Stats already "force" you to at least some kind of play style, e.g. if you're running 0 INT you probably aren't using magic weapons. But there's still a lot of variety within each single build for play styles, and for someone to be able to access all play styles with one stat distribution would be boring and silly. You have to make decisions in the game that involve sacrifices and that's just how things go.
Furthermore, INT is already meta and pending massive, massive shake ups that isn't changing. You can debate whether or not that's a good thing, but at the end of the day there will always be some kind of meta in the game because there will always be a group who simply wants to min-max the living daylights out of their characters and there always will be. Making all builds completely equal would be incredibly difficult and not even necessarily desirable, as variety makes things more interesting.
AQ  Post #: 71
5/22/2019 5:06:46   
CH4OT1C!

I'm about to echo a lot of what @Lord Markov has already said in response.
quote:

@Galactic Assassin X said
For those saying DEX is too OP, to be honest STR and INT are, too. Most spells require INT; and spells bring diversity in gameplay. Without investment into INT, you're giving up an entire section of the menu. STR on the other hand gives both Melee and Ranged damage. DEX provides both Dodge and chance to hit; but it's not like STR doesn't provide melee chance to hit nor INT providing magic chance to hit, as they do, so saying DEX is required is ridiculous considering that any nerf that makes it give ranged chance to hit only will also require STR and INT's chances to hit to be massively buffed to compensate, which could be done without nerfing DEX.

Yes, STR, DEX and INT are all incredibly important in current standards. However, there is a difference. STR and INT are considered primary stats; they are the first things you should invest in. DEX is a secondary stat. Although prioritised above other supporting stats, it doesn't hold the same importance as the primary stats. The reason basically every build uses max DEX is simple:
quote:

Source: https://forums2.battleon.com/f/tm.asp?m=18263048
Melee: STR*3/40 + DEX*3/40 + LUK/40
Ranged: DEX*3/20 + LUK/40
Magic: INT*3/40 + DEX*3/40 + LUK/40
Pets & Guests: CHA*3/40 + DEX*3/40 + LUK/40

The lowest contribution DEX makes in stat contributions is *3/40. At 250, that relates to 18.75bth. You could argue 200 was previously sufficient (redoing the numbers - 15bth). As explained by @Lord Markov, losing that much bth without a sufficient gain or workaround becomes very difficult in either of these circumstances. You'd need something like the new year's spell. Perhaps if there were more workarounds we wouldn't be having this conversation. As it stands, there aren't.

The proposed changes take DEX and turn it into a main stat for ranged weapons, distinguishing the divide between melee/ranged. I know you've already stated this is a benefit of choosing melee over magic, but to my knowledge, this was never intended. After all, STR has other benefits - 25% extra damage on all regular attacks, cheaper SP skills etc. These haven't been capitalised upon as much as magic gear, but they are benefits nonetheless. Now, I can't speak for exactly how things will work but in response to...
quote:

DEX shouldn't be giving any more dodge. The difference is that, because DEX has been taken out of bth formulas for melee/magic, it's no longer required for those builds. As such, standards can assume that many people won't be running DEX and can take this into account. Granted, this balance has to be struck correctly, but I believe that is the intention. You could then argue
quote:

but I'm not so sure. By removing DEX from the equation for warriors/mages, you then only have two required stats to maximise player damage output - [mainstat] and [LUK] (the go-to bonus stat for everything. Even then, this is easily foregone). You have the ability to invest in at least one other stat, of which there are now more possible combinations than before the 250 update given you only need to invest in 3. Provided one stat doesn't become considerably more powerful than the others (which it shouldn't if done correctly), this should increase our versatility. This is especially true now that melee/ranged weapons are distinguished, giving rise to new hybrid combinations.
AQ  Post #: 72
5/22/2019 17:13:30   
Galactic Assassin X

You all make excellent points. But interestingly, I'm fine with STR giving both melee and ranged. In fact, I don't want DEX to give ranged. The reason is because of that notion of spells - INT gives a bonus to magic weapons and spells, while STR gives a bonus to melee weapons and ranged weapons. This means that INT's versatility of moves is "balanced" by STR's ability to exploit two different combat type defenses on opponents. While I understand not wanting DEX to be required for accuracy for any combat type, I still think that STR will become the outlier stat because of the constant INT meta and the potential DEX/LUK meta. I just don't think making DEX the certified pure Ranged stat will be a good thing at all.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 73
5/22/2019 17:36:34   
The Wizard

I really like this change now that I understand it better. I think it brings AQ stats more in line with what they do in Dnd combat where Str is basically melee attacks, dex is ranged attacks, melee attacks with finesse weapons, initiative and AC, and int is for casting spells (for wizards at least).
AQ  Post #: 74
5/22/2019 17:43:49   
Galactic Assassin X

Which in normal circumstances I'd agree with, but for AQ it can end up nerfing certain playstyles moreso than they already are. The difference between DnD and AQ is that DnD's stat system is super complex and doesn't change within the same edition.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> Game Balance Issues >> RE: Stat Balance Project - With Spreadsheets
Page 3 of 4<1234>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition