Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Remove losses, period

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel Suggestions >> Remove losses, period
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
6/5/2019 18:49:27   
.Lord Ginger.

I know losses are hidden so opponents can’t see them, yeah that’s true. You can still see your own losses which can discourage you from trying out new builds, new classes, risking your win % going down. You don’t want to look at increasing losses because you just want to test some stuff out, or have some fun with some random build that you and your friend just made up to mess around.

In this day and age, the game is mainly meant to have fun, and showing losses isn’t fun, especially not for me and some other people I know, especially the ones with low win %. This could possibly help people 1v1 more, because they don’t have to worry about looking at maybe a less than 50% win rate, they can just 1v1 without having to see their losses.

The game has changed a lot since previous phases, and the playerbase NOW would root for this change.
AQW Epic  Post #: 1
6/6/2019 0:48:10   
NDB

I kind of like the idea, personally, but from looking at the pros and cons named on Twitter, there does seem to be a dilemma. The main pro is that it might encourage people to play more and/or use whatever build they like without fear of losing. The main con is that people might lose the motivation to win and it makes it harder to track progress, for example, if you're trying to see if a build has a good win rate or not.

From this, it can be said that the main function of losses is, to some extent or another, (1) make people uncomfortable about losing so that they'll be more motivated to use extra effort and time just to win and (2) allow people to assess their ability and how well certain builds work in a practical manner. These are both important things, for sure. But necessary? That's a bit hard to say/speculate on without actually doing it.

With that said, I think a nice compromise is if we got rid of losses on the character page completely but then have this temporary win/loss tracker function that you can toggle on or off as you please in the settings. It would tell you how many wins and losses you got since the last time you turned it on. Then the people who would still like to see how much they've been losing or show off their ratio can do that, and the people who want to get rid of losses altogether can have their way too if they just choose to never turn it on.

The way it stands not, the losses on the character page are unbelievably misleading anyway. They represent every loss you've ever got since the creation of your account, so you can't even really show off with it even if you have a good ratio due to the fact that the relative win rates for every era of balance, and the game in general (NPCs, etc.), were different. And it's also not actually as easy as it seems to track your recent progress since you'd have to take a screenshot or write down you current wins/losses, then look back on it after you do some testing with a build, which is annoying and hard to remember to do. With a win/loss tracker you can turn on and off whenever you like, it'd both solve and improve upon these issues.

And if people start losing the motivation to win, we can always decrease the rewards you get for losing.

< Message edited by NDB -- 6/6/2019 1:03:57 >
Epic  Post #: 2
6/6/2019 2:24:51   
Foulman

Supported. It's depressing to come back after a long break and watch your winrate drop by 15%.
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 3
6/6/2019 12:30:45   
8x

I'm thinking botters would love this
Epic  Post #: 4
6/6/2019 12:54:00   
.Lord Ginger.

^ Botters play jugg which doesn’t matter. You bot 1v1, you’re getting banned. They’re the only ones that can see their losses anyways. People already hide their losses from others. Why would you care about botting losses if that’s the point?

@Machaon

I do like this idea of having the tracker function, I think it’s a really good idea.
AQW Epic  Post #: 5
6/6/2019 14:47:16   
8x

I guess, what I meant to say was, if you remove the downside to losing, more people would be willing to use a bot.
Epic  Post #: 6
6/10/2019 20:26:23   
.Lord Ginger.

I doubt people would use bots more than they do now. People who are going to bot are going to bot juggernaut or NPCs.

It's not like juggernaut losses matter anyways.

I want this change so people aren't necessarily discouraged to get out there in 1v1, try new builds, change classes, take some risks without tarnishing a win record that you built up over the years. It is way easier to ruin a record than to make one.

I think Machaon's tracker is a great idea, currently I have an excel spreadsheet of my wins and losses overtime because I want to see my improvements daily and successes.

Having a tracker you can still track your success, but you don't necessarily even have to use it if you don't want to. If you care about your win %, great, never stop the tracker then and it will build up over time from when the update starts.

I don't think botting should even be considered as a reason for this, people who bot 1v1 will get banned, and the bots are in game modes where you hardly ever see real people anyway for it to matter.

Heck, there could be a "do you want to permanently remove losses and move over to this new system" button if people could feel so strongly against this idea. It could have like 3 chances, like the "Are you REALLY sure?" kinda choice.

But once they are deleted, then they're just gone. But this option would only be for any player who isn't currently new.

This could need some Titan coding for the more advanced portion that Machaon described and what I just described, but I think it would be a valuable investment, at least for people like me who don't want to experiment due to ruining a solid 1v1 record, or those who hate their 1v1 record and don't 1v1 because of it.

< Message edited by .Lord Ginger. -- 6/10/2019 20:34:58 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 7
6/14/2019 19:33:16   
dfo99

dude, then suggest to add a button to hide just you own losses rather to all the players, i don't support the removal for all players..
Post #: 8
6/14/2019 22:59:36   
.Lord Ginger.

quote:

Heck, there could be a "do you want to permanently remove losses and move over to this new system" button if people could feel so strongly against this idea. It could have like 3 chances, like the "Are you REALLY sure?" kinda choice.

But once they are deleted, then they're just gone. But this option would only be for any player who isn't currently new.
AQW Epic  Post #: 9
6/15/2019 18:47:50   
Cataleptic

On the contrary, I think losses are what should be kept and wins removed. I feel discouraged about doing 2vs2 because when I have a sweet plan and my partner sees my wins and say, "oh, he only has 2k wins, he knows nothing. I have 40k 2vs2 so he should listen to me instead." This is how I feel in all modes. Wins are just discouraging. Another example: I was doing a 1vs1 and my opponent called me a noob just because he won and my wins were inferior to his. I'm sure new players also feel this way. I can't even play Juggernaut without being accused of botting or players criticizing me about practically fighting in an NPC mode instead of actual PVP modes, and my wins in those modes only further help their opinion because I don't have a whole lot of wins in those modes. EpicDuel should be fun, not criticizing over how many wins you have. I would like to for once not get called a noob in a mode like 2vs2 when I have a plan that could work but are overshadowed by how little of wins I have in comparison to my partners dominate wins.
Post #: 10
6/28/2019 17:21:48   
Armagedon2018

Give the option that let you see your losses in the settings is a good idea, so you know if your build is good or not. Since players can not see the losses of other players, they do not care how many losses they have, so there's no problem there.

Now, some players have suggested that everyone can see the winning percentage, as before, but you will not be able to see their loses. If this happens, it could help your suggestion , so you would know by day, how effective your build is, regardless of the losses you have.
AQW Epic  Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel Suggestions >> Remove losses, period
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition