Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Any Chance We Can Get A New Forum Software?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [AE Forum Resources] >> Forum Support and Suggestions >> Any Chance We Can Get A New Forum Software?
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
6/10/2019 12:02:37   
AliceShiki
Helpful!

I mean, don't get me wrong, AE forums are... Functional, but that's as much of a praise as I can give it, because dear God, I've never been to a forum as uncomfortable to be in than this one.

To begin with, we have no Alert system (as in, something that pokes you whenever someone quotes a message you made and/or mentioned you with an "@" in a thread and/or makes a reply in a thread you posted in before), which can make it quite annoying to keep track of things when you try making posts in subforums you aren't used to frequenting (Like this one, I have to remember to check this one manually just to see if I got a reply, I generally only check AQ forums... >.>)

Then we have the lack of a Report button (yes, I know there is something about it in the FAQ but "It is easily abusable" is a silly explanation to not have it, if anyone was abusing the Report button and wasting the time of the mods, that person should get a warning... Besides, AE forums are super dead, so I doubt it would add much workload anyways), which makes a huge pain to report something to moderators... I mean, why do I need to send a PM to ALX in specific just because someone made a thread in the wrong subforum? Couldn't I just send a report to all mods responsible for that subforum with a single button without needing to go to my PM inbox in the first place?

Oh, and I think even mods don't have as much freedom to do their job properly? I mean, I remember poking a mod once because someone made a question in the "Direct to Dev Questions" thread when it was just a normal Q&A question, yet the mod couldn't move the question to a new thread in the Q&A subforum, because they apparently can only move entire threads and are unable to move single posts? That's uhn... Not terrible I guess? But it's annoying when you report something and the mod can't do anything because the forum doesn't give them enough power to do so.

Next we have the silly auto-delete function which does nothing except get in the way of people that got ratings in the past and want to revisit them, or that asked for a comparison between two items and want to see the numbers of that comparison again... I mean, sure, it technically saves space server-side, but I seriously doubt it would ever be a big problem to store a few thousand threads in the server.

And lastly there is also the fact this forum has no mobile version, which can be quite the pain when you want to give it a quick check when you're not home... Pretty sure most softwares come with a mobile mode by default these days even... >.>

I'm aware that there is (probably) no dedicated forum coder for AE and that the time of the coders would be better spent working in functions for the game instead of improving the forums, but just changing the software to a new one that has some basic functionalities to help users out would be a great help... I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if part of the reason the forums are so dead nowadays is because people just don't want to bother with using such unwieldy place when they can chat about it in Discord instead... Though that's just my biased view I guess, I don't even know how many people care for the lack of those functionalities... >.>

That's it from me I guess? I hope this can be given some thought at the very least.

< Message edited by AliceShiki -- 6/10/2019 12:05:45 >
AQ  Post #: 1
6/10/2019 20:38:34   
  Battle Elf
has ten 1v1 wins

Captain Rhubarb can probably address this better than I, but there have been some talks about moving the Forums to a newer platform over the last year or so. I believe the Forums launched in 2004 or 2005, so we've certainly missed out on some of the features available with newer tools.

With the weekly release cycle of AE games and busy schedule of the developers, it seems to be challenging to allocate resources towards the Forums. Among other factors, the rise of social media has lowered the amount of traffic we receive from both players and staff. If the team was able to justify investing time and resources into switching platforms, the process would likely still be lengthy and difficult. If the switch does happen, it'll probably be a good ways down the road.

< Message edited by Battle Elf -- 6/10/2019 20:43:23 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 2
6/11/2019 22:53:39   
AliceShiki
Helpful!

Fair enough, and yeah, I didn't expect any movement to be done soon even if you all did decide on improving the forums...

I mean, it could be a quick switch if the Encyclopedias weren't a thing, since pretty much nothing would be lost if the forums were started from scratch... But since the Encyclopedias are a thing, At the very least one would need to make sure to move all of their pages to whatever new forums was made... Which could be quite hard to do.

Glad there was some talk about it at least! Happy to see I'm not the only one thinking AE's forums are kinda hard to use~

Thanks for the reply! ^^)/

< Message edited by AliceShiki -- 6/11/2019 22:54:05 >
AQ  Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [AE Forum Resources] >> Forum Support and Suggestions >> Any Chance We Can Get A New Forum Software?
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition