Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=EC 2019= Cellar Arena

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> =EC 2019= Cellar Arena
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/14/2019 0:01:21   
  Starflame13

With preparations complete, the city welcomed the horde of travelers that descended into its midst. From strangers to old friends, from visiting dignitaries to lowly cutpurses, from lone fighters to entire families, hundreds answered the arena’s siren call. The crowds swelled, the magic in the air catching at emotions and drawing forth excitement and anticipation. Children ran about underfoot while city guards attempted to maintain some semblance of order. Coins clinked merrily as people pointed out potential competitors, debating this one's skill or that one's survival.

Then the sun climbed high enough to illuminate the doors of the complex itself - the rays creating a dazzling radiance that caught the eyes of all mingling below - and people surged forward.

Through the twisted streets of shops and inns. Past the delicate courtyards and grimy alleyways tucked between the houses. Up and over the final bridge, across the cobblestones of Supplicant’s Way, feet treading upon the same path that thousands of others had before them. Between the grand doors set at the gateway into the complex - a single entrance for spectators and hopefuls alike.

But the entrants never remained with the crowds for long. Even those watching closely could not spot the exact moment when the chosen combatants vanished, as if by magic, led into darkened hallways towards their fate. Most knew better than to attempt to follow. All knew better than to question the strength, the sorcery, the power that hummed in the stones at their feet and caused sparkles to dance in the corners of their eyes. No one who entered the tournament - no one who passed through the gates at all - did so without accepting its authority.

The Arena welcomed all, chose few, and spared none.

Several sets of stairs led deeper and deeper into the heart of the complex - a twisting maze that would be hopeless to navigate were it not for the large number of people that lined the way. Healers checking their potions, doctors fingering their scalpels, and priests with one hand on their holy symbols and the other on their shovels. Their grim expressions followed the competitors as they descended the spiral stairs to the waiting area below, warning them of the additional danger they now found themselves in.

Awareness. Tension. Unease. Demise. No wound can be healed within the confines of Cellar.

Rather than the standard set of doors, the fighters were instead lowered as one on a single slab of bright white stone, which slotted seamlessly into the floor in the center of the room. Four walls of the same polished stone boxed them in while cold, harsh light spilled in from above. The air felt unpleasantly dry and warm - whether from the additional magics of the arena or from its position buried deep below the sands, no one knew.

Blood red lines crisscrossed the arena floor, dividing it into a perfect grid. Two vertical and two horizontal, the contestants had been placed on the central tile, as far from touching any line as possible. Where once bright mirrors covered the walls, wall-mounted plates of the same scarlet hue had been placed, intruding scant inches into the open arena.

Without warning, the plates sunk fully flush into the wall. A shrill siren blared, and a split second later blades shot out from hidden recesses in each wall. With lightning speed, they launched themselves across the arena, following the tracks laid out for them before they slammed with a screech into the opposite walls. As they sunk out of sight, the plates returned to their original position.

In the following silence, a single voice called out. One of the priests, ashen face just visible from the hole that the fighters had descended through.
“And so begins the Trial of Dancing Blades. Fight with honor, or else die with glory!”

AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 1
7/15/2019 22:57:08   
superjars

Wandering through miles of thick overgrowth, constantly damp and shivering. Sneaking into cities in the dead of night to scavenge for whatever she could find. Being chased by wild beasts and even more beastly humans. All for Bren. For her family. For revenge.

She gaped towards the infamous city, where the annual convergence of the Eight Lords approached, her head swinging rapidly from side to side to see everything at once. When was the last time she had visited such a large place, come so near to a center of so-called civilization? Too long to recall; she avoided such places. All that awaited her in them was ridicule and abuse. She was cursed with a likeness that men found abominable and the elementals found deplorable. Situated between these two rejections, she had only been able to find solace amongst her spirits.

The noise of footsteps and groan of cartwheels broke through her reflection, as she instinctively pulled away from the thoroughfare and found refuge amongst the verdure. Peering out, she observed the vehicle as it passed by, laden with goods and accompanied by a retinue of humans. She caught sight of some glinting metal implements and various foodstuffs, presumably to be sold for the upcoming festival. A soft melody flowed into her ear as the sphere of loam that was her constant companion drifted lazily towards her right side.

“No, Gaes,” the shaman whispered without turning to her companion. “Those aren’t people I know. They sort of look like merchants.” A fluting of notes cascaded from the orb, all similar in pitch, but ending with an elevated tone. “They sell all sorts of things to people for coins.” Another question floated from the globe. “That’s just how people are, Gaes. I’ve never understood it either.”

The spirit made up of a loosely-compacted ball of mud and herbs uttered a final, decisive note and drifted back towards the other four. Shandrae watched as it floated away, her brow furrowing in consternation. A few moments were all she was willing to waste on Gaes’ response, choosing instead to turn her attention back to the road and the rapidly retreating wagon upon it. She was going to need some path into the city, away from prying eyes, if she intended to join the tournament. If the day was to see more of the same entering the city, they might very well be her opportunity.

The sun had been missing for quite a span by the time the half-elemental was able to find her way into the city. She procured a large piece of hempen cloth within which she wrapped her five spirits, rather than have them floating noisily behind her. She tried to stay away from busy, lighted areas and found her way through the town until she came to the arena complex. The competition was to begin on the morrow, so now was her last chance to declare her intentions. She held the chirping bundle close and entered one of the registrars, staying in the shadows as she completed the necessary paperwork. The attending official appeared half-asleep, groggily taking her form, giving it a quick and silent scan before tossing it in the nearby pile and waving her on.

Entrance complete, all that remained was to find a space to wait for it all to begin. A small park with a large elm was the closest greenery she could find in this concrete jungle and, letting out her spirits, she allowed herself to fall into a fitful sleep.

The clattering of Ferrul’s voice near the shaman’s ear jolted her awake as the throng of attendees moved past her refuge and into the arena complex. She stood up quickly, wiping the gunk from her eyes as she tried to focus on her surroundings. Before she was able to gain her bearings, however, a slight tug in the middle of her chest caused her to stumble forward, out from the shade and into some sort of spiral staircase. She blinked rapidly several times, then closed her eyes tightly for a few seconds before opening them suddenly. In the span of these moments, several others also appeared with her.

Her mouth went dry, her eyes widening as she looked around at those gathered. She knew the Championships were often attended by those who had interesting and unique parentage, but as she stared around at the others, her throat tightened. Short, quick breaths forced their way out as Shandrae bowed her head, not wanting to meet anyone’s eye as the others streamed past. A few seconds are all she was allowed as Xalia nudged her in the center of the back, pushing her onward, its deep, tonal melodies calming. The shaman closed her eyes as her breathing became regular. She shuffled forward, following the others around and down until their path ended at a large granite concourse. As the others took their positions upon the square, Shandrae moved toward the southeast corner, preparing to put some distance between herself and the others.

Shoulders set and head raised, Shandrae placed one hand behind her and rested it upon the familiar surface of Vezzin, knotted and fibrous, drawing strength from the spirit within. The spirit’s response thrummed out a vibrant vibrato, filling her from head to toe with its resonance. A smile graced her lips for the first time in a while as she could sense the anticipation in the air. She breathed deeply the scents of her spirits, releasing the vines as she tensed her body for movement.

The settling of stone. Shandrae crouched, her hand reaching for Zacile. The retort of the plates. Her body coiled, potential energy gathering in her calves. The loud klaxon call. The connection was made. Zacile’s drum-like utterances filled her senses. The rush of steel. Her heart beat to the rhythm, their bonding complete. The shout from above. The shaman’s left hand plunged into the heart of the sand, willing it to shape around her as she broke to the southeast, heading away from the others. The slapping of her feet fell in sync with the spirit’s words as their bond solidified. The half-elemental turned her body to the side, continuing her trajectory away from the others and brought forward a dense field of sand wrapped around her arm to shield her from the others. The battle had begun.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
7/16/2019 0:11:00   
  Chewy905

Chromatic ArchKnight of RP

The cool wood sat against her palm as she pulled the string back with her other hand. She felt the muscles in her arm grow tight with the strain of keeping the arrow nocked.

Breath in. Breath out. Release.

The wooden missile sailed towards its destination, a rudimentary target she had bought early in her training, now riddled with holes. There was a pleasant thud as the arrow sank deep into the center.

Again.

Smooth wood. Tight muscles. In. Out. Release.

The girl paid no heed to her previous arrow, allowing it to shatter as her second shot collided with it, forcing it out of the way.

Again.

Smooth wood. Tight muscles. In.

“Surprise!”

No!

Her shot went wild, flying over the target and off into the woods beyond. The speaker, a young man with some abnormally dark features, yet light skinned, winced slightly at the missed attempt, but displayed a mischievous smirk.

“Oops, I’m sorry. But those were Impressive shots before that, Nigh.”

Maled Con. Former murderer, current thief, and Nigh’s only close companion for the past year. She tossed her bow aside, and it disappeared in a small flash of light. She unslung the quiver from her back and set it on the ground gingerly, then turned to face the source of disturbance, giving an expression that was a mix of annoyance and acceptance.

Her annoyance did nothing to wipe the smirk from Maled’s face. “Glad to see your training for the Championships is still going well. They’ll be starting soon. Just a few days now. It was around this time that-“

She held up a hand and glared, cutting him off entirely. Her other hand involuntarily drifted to her throat, hovering over the still-open wound that had ended her life and stolen her voice a year ago.

Maled’s annoyingly confident composure was shattered, and his gaze dropped to his boots. “I was going to say it was around the time we met… but I understand. Anyways, here’s why I came.”

He reached down to his boot and withdrew a black knife, sharp and deadly, flipped it in the air quickly, then caught and extended it, handle first, towards Nigh. She hesitantly accepted it, holding the end of the handle with two fingers in apparent disgust. She tried to hand it back to him, but he stepped forward and set his hand on hers, moving the grip to the center of her palm and closing her fist around the gift.

“I know you don’t want it. I know you intend to get through this without killing. But the Championships are a place of blood and death. I’ve seen it. If the worst happens, I want you to have a more… permanent-“ He paused, allowing the weight of the word settle in the otherwise silent woods. “Way of protecting yourself.”

Nigh stepped back, allowing Maled’s hand to fall off of hers. She took a breath, her entire body shaking slightly, and dropped the dagger. It disappeared in the same flash of light her bow had. Maled stepped forward, advancing on her retreat, and locked his solid, inky black eyes with her sky blue gaze.

“Nigh.. there’s so much I want to do. I want to repeat to you everything you told me last year. You tried to stop me from throwing away my life. You told me it was too precious to risk for a simple wish. I want to prevent you from entering, the exact same way you tried to prevent me. But…”

He closed his eyes and gently placed a hand over his eyelids. There was a ripple of energy that moved from his mouth to his eyes, as he sealed his own voice. When he spoke next, he made no sound.

I understand.

Bren was just as lively as it had been a year prior. The sights, sounds, and smells embraced Nigh from all sides as she strolled down the streets by her lonesome. Maled had, wisely, chosen not to accompany her, as his past actions in Bren made him, well, not exactly a favorite among the authorities of the city. Nigh stifled a small laugh as she saw a decrepit wanted poster for her companion, still hanging from a wall.

Lining the streets were salesmen, crafters, bakers, and storytellers, trying to draw over a passerby to earn some coin. The delicious smell of freshly cooked chicken drifted out of a building to her left, accompanied by cheerful song and applause from a building to her right.

Her beautiful form drew some attention, and she tried not to shrink under the stares. Nigh supposed she was a bit out of place, as she was barefoot, garbed in a white dress, yet had her golden shield strapped to her arm. Right between the kind of person you’d see dancing in a tavern and the kind you’d see battling in the Championships.

As she crossed the bridges leading towards the massive Arena complex, Nigh did her best to keep her mind clear.

In here. The very place I loathed. The very place I still loath. Do I really want to go through with this? Is it really worth the risk?

Her thoughts drifted to Maled Con. Would he weep for her if she fell here? Should she hold back, for his sake? Once again her hand drifted to her blemished throat. She inhaled deeply, then exhaled. Silence. Her breath created nary a whisper.

Maled Con is one man. One man that I barely managed to save, and at the cost of my ability to save others, forever. For the sake of not just those outside this Arena, but for those within, I must press forward. It is my duty as a Guardian Angel.

Before she could argue with herself, she stepped into the yawning maw of the great colosseum.

No.

The spiral staircase led far below, surrounded by healers, doctors, and priests.

No.

Twists and turns disoriented her sense of direction, locking her within the perverted yet holy compound.

No.

A chill, cold and deep, ran down her back and spread to her wings, still folded and hidden.

No.

Hidden feathers fluttered as the chill settled, her freedom of flight sealed under the Arena’s Law. The same law that would prevent her from her purpose.

Why here? Why me?

Bare feet were cool against the white stone. Around her was a collection of beings. Some human. Some not. All more suited for being here than herself. All here to fight. To kill.

“My dearest lady, what are you doing in such a dangerous place? These Championships are not for the faint of heart.”

The smooth voice came from her side. She glanced at the speaker, trying desperately to hide the dread in her eyes. It was a man in a lavish leather coat, laced with gold. He had the appearance of a performer, groomed to perfection for the world’s deadliest, most grandiose stage.

Are you daft? As far as you know I’m a devil in disguise! Do you have no sense of self-preservation?

With a flourish, the man extended his hand, now lacking a finger and containing a blue rose, made entirely of solid ice. “For luck, my dear?” His voice dripped with unnecessary flair.

She accepted the flower, holding it delicately as she gazed at it thoughtfully. It was a beautiful creation. The detail was exquisite, done with a keen eye and a masters touch. But what kind of man gives a gift to someone they intend to kill?

The stone lowered. Slowly. Agonizingly. Giving far too much time for the freezing grip of panic to surround Nigh’s thoughts.

I came to save lives, not take them. But I can’t do that here. The wounds I make will not mend.

The slab continued to fall. The air warmed, the uncomfortable heat doing nothing to allay Nigh’s panic. She looked, desperately, up at the opening, now far above her.

Maled was right. This is hopeless. I’ll die here, in the basement of the Lords, my life taken mercilessly by those at my sides.

The slab settled into the floor, slipping in perfectly alongside its brethren. The square room was very odd compared to the clockwork tower she had watched Maled Con compete within in the year prior.

It won’t just be me. You’ll all die here. Don’t you see?! The crowds don’t care about your lives! The Lords don’t care about your lives! You’re here as entertainment!

Panels on each wall slid back, sinking into their alcoves. There was a shrill, piercing siren, almost causing Nigh to throw her hands over her ears.

The world slowed around her. Guillotine blades flew out of the walls and across the room, forming a perfect checker-square around the combatants. Their advance seemed sluggish, yet she could feel the death and danger their honed edges could bring. Her eyes reflected in the polished steel, her fear standing at the front of the scene. It gazed back at her, challenging her to overcome it. But… was there just a ghostly hint of confidence in that blue stare?

As the blade passed, she felt she could reach out, and it would pass directly through her. Nothing would stop the will of the Lords.

Nothing would stop the will of the Lords.

The icy rose dropped from her hand and shattered against the stone below. Nigh shot forward, wings unfurling in a practiced, powerful motion, throwing a strong gust of wind across her competition. A voice shouted from above, declaring the onset of the trial. Nigh paid it no heed.

She worked quickly as she flew, drawing a glowing circle in front of her with her right hand. Her bow flew out, and she caught it in her left, her pace unimpeded by the motion.

Smooth wood.

She spun in the air, facing back towards the heart of The Cellar. The stone floor kissed the balls of her feet as she began to skid to a stop. Her wings snapped back, killing her momentum in a storm of feathers and wind.

Tight muscles.

Silver light flowed out of her hands to follow her will, swirling along the string and coalescing into a single straight line.

Breath in.

Without her healing, there was only one way to save a soul, along with her own, in this hellish death trap. If she couldn’t mend the body, she would be forced to break the spirit. But who’s was weakest? The inhumans? No. Too unpredictable in nature. The scarred? No. Battered bodies betrayed steadfast spirits. That left two, the showman, and a boy only slightly younger than herself, standing upright and alert.

Breath out.

The showman. A confident facade to mask a troubled mind. She turned her aim downwards, focusing on his right leg.

Release.
Post #: 3
7/16/2019 0:41:33   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

--It waits in Bren.--

A low groan rose from the prone form that lay next to the campfire. It was a weary sound, an indication that the sleeper was finding little rest despite the quiet of the ridge overlooking distant Bren.

The dream was coming.

--... Bren. Seek it in Bren.--

He stirred restlessly, a hand of flesh reaching out unconsciously to the haft of the polearm that lay beside him, closer than any lover. Calloused fingers curled about his mute companion, knuckles going white with strain as his grip tightened, vice-like, around the helve.

The whispers would not be denied.

--Remember.--

There was another faint moan from the sleeper by the fire as a tremor trawled its leisurely path down his spine, but still he did not wake. Beneath their lids his eyes flickered back and forth, as though he sought an escape, a way out.

But there was only the dream, and its pull was irresistible.

“Always remember...”

On his chest, a hand of dust and shadow flexed. Its fingers were elongated, twisted, clawed like those of a demon, and they dug into his vest and shirt, twitching unconsciously. Upon the middle finger of that infernal hand was a band of untarnished silver set with an onyx stone. Polished though it was, the ring gave neither wink nor reflection of the light back, seeming instead to drink of the emanations from the banked blaze nearby.

The tidal drag of the call pulled the sleeper deeper, swirling him down and down and down. It was waiting. The dream - an old and hoary beast - stirred, rose up, and claimed its prey.

There was a sound of dull negation from the man; it might have been a smothered cry of denial, or a broken whimper of dread.

And as ever, the dream was the past, beginning again.

“Some things should never be forgotten.”

Storm clouds gathered on the horizon, and his father told him once more that the ring was cursed.

The old man had borne it on a chain hung about his neck, as had his father, and his father before him. And so, in time, the man whose name would be forgotten had worn it. For the ring was the responsibility of his house. And as the young man sat at his father’s deathbed, the old man bequeathed the band to him, saying, “a curse is on this ring. You must never put it on. And yet, you must never be parted from it. Within the ring slumbers a devil, bound by your ancestors long ago. It is our duty to watch over it.”

His words were interrupted by a coughing fit, blood and phlegm staining the pristine linens heaped upon his frail, failing frame. It was high summer, and the room was tropical with heat. Sweat beaded along the son’s scalp from the braziers that stood nearby. There were six of them about the bed, blazing with incensed flames that nonetheless could hold back neither the frigid chills that wracked the body of the dying man, nor the nauseating stench of his decaying flesh.

Niella, the leech-men called it - devourer - a disease that ate its victim from the inside out. It had killed the old man’s father, and his father before him. Now it was his turn. Just as it was his turn to pass on the ring, with its terrible curse, to his son. And so he would, even knowing that one day the ring would bring his child to the same end.

The young man waited patiently, though it had taken his father several minutes to be able to speak again. “The creature within the ring may try to speak to you. It will offer you... everything, in return for a little blood, a little flesh, a little...” The old man trailed off vaguely. His voice was fading, but his eyes... His eyes were as blue and sharp as they had ever been, the eyes of a man who was going to live forever.

If forever was the next thirty seconds.

“It will offer. You will refuse.” The old man said this with all the gravity of a man stating a simple truth. Water is wet. Fire is hot. You will refuse. “You will refuse, as I have, and my father before, though it should offer you the world, though all should be...” His father looked up at him, seeking out his son’s gaze as he gasped for breath. “One day, you will have a son. One day you will pass the ring to him. One day you will tell him these words, so that he may understand.”

If there was more for the young man to understand it was lost in the next gale of wracking coughs. There was something desperate in the old man’s eyes, a need to hear the words. “Promise me,” he rasped, his penultimate breath wheezing through the cracked bellows of his lungs. “Swear to it.”

To this day the man who would be called both savior and despoiler, saint and devil, could not say if he would have sworn the oath his father asked of him. He had always been... other than what the old man had expected. But before he could give his answer, the wizened man had died; one final breath rattled from his chest as the light faded from his eyes.

In the distance, there was a grumble of thunder. The storm drew closer, and one by one the braziers flickered out...

The dream shifted, as dreams were wont to do. One tableau dissolved into the next as the old man’s voice whispered the words his son had never forgotten, words given by his father, and his father before him.

“Always remember this: We are, each of us, the choices that we make.”

How many times had he himself said those words? Sharpened them, made of them a spearpoint to cut deep across flesh and bone, drinking heartsblood?

Pain and the man were old friends.

He snarled his father’s words as the hammer descended, biting into his lip - and then through it - as the warhammer crushed his hand where it was braced on the wall, blasting his knuckles into powder, splintering his fingerbones. He choked down a scream as the silver-white lightning of hurt raced up his arm and into his brain. But his shadowed hand was unharmed, and the pain was only in his mind.

--Pain is only of the mind.-- Gripping it close, strangling it with his will, smothering it with his desire, he denied the ephemeral hurt. His flesh and blood hand drove the dagger up, sinking it into his victim’s throat, seeking, twisting, ripping. Hot droplets of blood splashed his face as golden triumph, sovereign for all ailments, soothed him.

Perhaps it was better to say that pain and the man were old foes.

We make our choices. We do what must be done.

The sleeper came awake with a gasp of pain, curling around his dusty limb as phantom signals of agony throbbed through the demoniac arm. Coppery blood filled his mouth as he bit into his tongue, muscles twitching as he thrashed and spasmed into the ashy remnants of the previous night’s fire. The tremors subsided slowly, very slowly, leaving the man panting and gasping for breath. Smears of ash and bits of charcoal clung to the sweat on his skin as he stared up into the sky.

He flexed his left hand - the shadowed hand - in and out of a fist as he lay amid the thankfully cool remains and the sun crested the horizon. --Remember.-- Grunting, the man came slowly to his knees, staring down at the indistinct, hazy lines of his umbral arm as its fingers curled into the soot.

“I remember,” he spat the words into the now silent clearing, following them with a glob of blood and gritty ash. Pushing himself up to his feet, the powder-caked man reached out and gathered up his gear. “Bren, and the competition. Bren, and the wish. Bren, and the debt.” For a moment the ring was cold on his finger, like a band of ice closed about a shadow. “Enough,” he rasped, ignoring the mess of the once orderly camp he was leaving behind. It had served its use, and as such was beneath further notice. “Enough,” the man said again as he started towards the distant city, “you told me what you want. I agreed. One way or another, an end to it. So say no more of what you would have. I know. I know it very well.”

His only answer was a deep, mocking laughter in the recesses of his mind.

“Sir, are you certain that you are alright?” Regulen asked quietly. The would-be entrant had been staring at the parchment before him for nigh unto five minutes. More precisely, it was the final line of the document to which his gaze was fixed, the empty space that awaited a signature or mark of acknowledgement.

The registrar did not like this one. It was not that he was dirty or unkempt - though the Lords knew he looked it, what with the soot smeared on his face and clothing. What was he doing, rolling about in a fire pit? Honestly though, Regulen had seen worse in his time. Nor was there any issue with the man’s voice, which was still strong despite the slight rasp that flavored its foreign accent. In truth, it was hard to say just what it was about the stranger that unsettled him so. It probably had to do with the man’s left arm. The thing seemed so ephemeral, composed as it was of swirling dusty black motes, and yet, he could not deny its reality as those specks gathered into piles on the table where the two sat across from one another. It was hard not to stare, for all that doing so gave the local man a faint feeling of nausea.

Mismatched eyes flashed up from the parchment, radiating equal parts anger and disdain. “I heard your request the first time, clerk.”

There was an astonishing amount of venom imparted on the word, and Regulen shifted back in his seat, lifting both hands in a placating gesture. “O-of course, sir. Please forgive me, I meant no offense. Should you wish not to enter under your given na-”

“What I wish is silence from you, churl.” The cat’s eye gem flashed, and the registrar would have sworn in that moment that he saw the carven pupil - surely nothing more than a fanciful embellishment on the fake eye - narrow in fury. “You speak lightly, at your ease. Some things should never be forgotten.”

Taken aback by the rage in the man’s tone, the clerk floundered a moment, unable to frame a response. Across the table the ash-dusted man scowled, his odd left hand clenching into a tight fist. Regulen watched as the document was signed, and then carefully drew the sheet over to himself, adding his own signature as witness. He peered at the neat script a moment, and then spoke before he could stop himself. “Sark Ynet. A curious name, sir. I take it you are far from home.”

What he saw in the face of the man who had named himself Sark Ynet made the registrar flinch, and he all but upset his chair in his haste to back away from the table. Anger, raw and burning, blazed from the entrant’s eyes, suffusing his face with heat and marking each glaring line with the promise of suffering. “It is no name, boy.” The stranger rose, his dark hand curling around the haft of the ranseur leaning against the table. “It is a title. The last that I may bear. There is nothing more. The rest was taken from me by small and petty men.”

Regulen stammered, holding the entrant’s papers before him like a feeble shield. “I... I w-will see the paperwork filed, m-my lord.”

Sark Ynet’s smile was a small thing, chill and predatory. It was the sort of expression a mouse might see on a snake just before it struck. “Oh, my little fool, I was so much more than a lord.”

As the platform descended, the wiry man stared at his left arm.

All his life, since that moment of fateful decision, the limb he had lost had been supplanted by a creation of swirling shadow. The motes of its composition had danced over its surface like transient stars in the heavens, shifting specks that had belied the appendage’s solidity, even as tiny flecks had flaked off to be borne away on the wind.

Now... now it was frozen.

It was not that Sark Ynet could not move his arm. The limb still answered to the orders of his mind with all its normal dexterity. Wrist, fingers, thumb, each was as mobile and responsive to its tasks as ever. But the motes... the motes moved not. It gave the appendage an appearance rather like glass cast for a decoration: a faint outline of form filled with curiously shaped specks, almost as if the first moments of an ash-storm had been locked in time.

It was... unsettling in a way he could not quite put words to.

--Treachery. Which among them stoops?--

Which indeed? Sark Ynet lowered the umbral arm, his hand of flesh and blood flexing to a white-knuckle grip on the handle of his ranseur. Mismatched eyes narrowed as he considered each of the others in turn, a circle drawn about the tile that lowered slowly to the Arena below.

A small woman, fair to look upon but for an unseemly scar.

A slender man of golden eyes, his hair a riot of crass color.

A well-heeled man in a popinjay’s attire, his eyes vainglorious and cocksure.

A thing that seemed constructed of gemstone enrobed in leather straps, man-shaped and abhorrent.

A womanish husk garbed in vines and flowers, sporting freakish gnarled skin and an escort of free-floating orbs.

A tall woman, lean and scarred, the headscarf about the left-side of her face doing nothing to hide the knife-edge of her right ear.

These then, stood against him in the battle ahead. Pathetic. But one of them was already at work, deploying some subtle magic to stay the dust of his normally rippling arm. It was little matter, in the end. These were but pale appetizers of the feast to come.

--Greater even than Pretu.--

Pretu... Pretu which had turned to cinder. Dust on the wailing wind. Ash-storms lashing canvas and skin as plumes of smoke choked the sky. Yes, Pretu had been a feast, if only the fools had listened to him.

The tile upon which the assembled entrants stood reached the floor, docking neatly into place with nary an ounce of impact. About Sark Ynet the air was redolent with heat, and the fainest edge of a scent the man could not quite lay a finger on. Sage perhaps, or juniper. It was a desert smell, a dry smell. Perhaps it was somewhat of the famed curse that prevented healing.

“Tis passing easy, this penchant for destruction. Building, healing, is harder.”

He scowled the thought away, shifting slightly as a klaxon wailed into the stillness of the Cellar. Sark Ynet blinked slowly, witnessing the blades that hummed from the walls, scything their lethal courses across the breadth of the Arena before vanishing as quickly as they had appeared. He watched carefully as the voice called from above, but the lines remained where they had been traced.

One less question then.

The ranseur in his right hand twirled, rising slantwise across his back as his hand clasped just below the metal collar affixing blade to stave. Sark Ynet darted forward, rushing towards the western plate.

From the corner of his vision the scarred one leapt, great feathered appendages unfurling from her back. Unexpected, to be certain, but a heavy beat of those wings thrust her north and away from his course. The space was welcome, for all that the wretch conjured forth a bow as her armament. This arrow, at least, was aimed at the others. All to the good.

There was one more question to ask before the bloodshed started in earnest.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 4
7/17/2019 22:32:19   
roseleaf320
Creative!

“Thanks for the room.” A man with dark, glistening hair strode up to the innkeeper, his elaborate cloak fluttering behind him. He stretched out a thin hand, reaching to drop a few silver coins onto the table before continuing towards the door, his gait strong and masculine.

With a glance at the payment, the simpleton walked over to stop the man. “Hey, Laverne, I gave you two nights to get me the money. This ain’t all of it. The agreement was three rooms.”

The figure turned for a moment, a sly grin on his face. “Ah, but… we only needed one.”

With a wink and a sweep of his cloak, Bassareus Laverne disappeared through the door, ensuring a satisfying *click* as it closed behind him.

As if pulled by a string, a scrawny old man shot up from the ground outside. His entire being radiated filth, his white robe covered in dirt, his beard in desperate need of grooming. Bassareus hoped to ignore this wreck entirely and continue on his way, but it was clear that the buffoon was already set on bothering him. “Sir, please sir, can I have a moment of your time?”

“No,” Bassareus scoffed without a pause in his stride. This was the only answer you could give these people. If you showed even a slight hesitation, they’d begin an endless spiel of nonsense designed for nothing more than wasting your time. Deny them, and they’d likely give up and wait for the next unlucky soul to cross their path.

But this one seemed intent on speaking his mind. “Sir, I know you’ve committed grave sins. Join us, and we can absolve them.” At this point, the sight was rather funny, a dusty old prune struggling to spatter out his speech while Bassareus wanted nothing more than to continue on his way. “We can save you, sir. We can forgive you of your sins. Through the Church of Voices, you could be free.”

Slowing for but a moment, Bassareus allowed the worshipper to pass by him in his haste to catch up. But as the man advanced, he seemed to stumble over his own feet, and soon he was a crumpled and dirty mess lying exactly where he belonged. Though the cause of the fall was entirely unknown to Bassareus, it served him right for pestering such an important figure. The Great Bassareus Laverne had much more important things to think about than made-up sins and a religious guilt-trip from a filthy old cultist. Absolve his sins… what a foolish concept. At his age, the man would be dead within the week anyways, lying in a puddle of grime and disease.

What a horrible way to go.

But with that nuisance out of the way, the journey to Bassareus’ final destination was relatively quick and pleasant. Soon he was past the registrar and had joined the throngs of people filing into the entrance to the single greatest stage of all time. Here would serve as his crowning glory, the means to spread his name through all of Lore. The handsome magician was easily recognized, of course, and squeals of excitement followed him as he strode further into the mystery of the arenas. Soon, his finger was an icy pen, and sky-blue ink covered the clothes, skin, and various other trinkets of adoring fans.

But the crowds soon disappeared, and the noble found himself facing a dark, dreary decent. Healers and doctors stared mournfully as he continued towards his destination. So, then. He must be in Cellar. Good. Smaller spaces made it easier for him to dominate the show and control the eyes of the crowd.

As he sensed an end to the stairs, he approached one of the healers, a girl that had to be no older than fourteen. A flash of recognition crossed her eyes as Bassareus approached, but she said not a word, instead focusing on a small bottle sitting between her crossed legs.

“Young woman,” whispered Bassareus, his caramel voice washing over the girl as sweetly as cherries. “Would you hold onto this for me?” He reached out a smooth hand, motioning for her to take the jar of ink it held. “I’ll be needing it back when all of this is finished.”

She took it gingerly from him, almost as if she had been entrusted with the great performer’s own life. “You have such a pretty robe on,” Bassareus said as she took it, knowing full well the girl was too flustered by his presence to make a proper response. “I could add my signature to it, if you would like. A last memento before I win.”

The girl paused a moment, then nodded shyly. Soon, the right sleeve of her robe was adorned with a shining signature. That robe was sure to be treasured for many years. But no matter, for she is not our focus here.

As Bassareus joined the other performers on a shining white platform, he noticed quite a few oddities among the group. He was most surprised by the presence of two stunningly beautiful women, seeming so out of place in this dark and dangerous complex. One was slightly off-putting, her hair like dark dreads twining around her body in unnatural curls. Best to leave that one alone, for now. He shifted his attention to the second, then, standing with nothing but a small shield and a thin white dress. Bassareus’ keen eyes were quick to notice a bright red gash across her neck, and though it seemed open, it failed to bleed. Faintly, the magician wondered if it was a complicated illusion, used to scare opponents or attract the crowd’s attention. Even without the gash, though, Bassareus was certain she was capable of doing just that. What a shame, the, such a harsh blemish on an otherwise beautiful body.

“Madam, what are you doing in such a dangerous place? These Championships are not for the faint of heart.”

The angelic woman gave not but a glance to him, standing rigid and enclosed. Too wrapped up in her own thoughts to hear his voice, possibly? Or more likely too frightened to respond. Bassareus was taking a quick liking to this woman.

With a flourish, the cryomancer presented a delicate rose, expertly formed and detailed. “For luck, my dear?”

Hesitantly, the woman’s slim fingers closed around the rose’s stem, taking it gingerly. Though it would leave him handicapped, Bassareus would forge ahead knowing that this small, kind gesture provided a sliver of happiness and hope to the woman holding it.

But, lo, a first glimpse at the stage! Blades flew, a voice bellowed, and Bassareus knew this was the place. Here would be his greatest performance: the Dance of Blades.

Action began as soon as the mysterious ringmaster named the trial, but to the main act, things moved in slow motion. A battered man bound westward, while the dark-haired beauty he’d noted earlier fled south. Bassareus paid neither any mind, as his current focus was fully trained on the woman he had spoken to. With an abrupt shattering, the rose broke into three pieces on the hard ground. But Bassareus was more concerned about the large, feathered wings that had suddenly sprouted out of her back. Whipping his hair and cloak behind him in a single movement, she was off, to the far north of the chamber. Surely, this wasn’t an actual angel? They’re supposed to save people, not enter the Championships and begin to kill them.

Fine, then. While his opponents seemed to be claiming their own corners, Bassareus knew the proper way to do things. If he wanted to be noticed by the crowds, where better than center stage? In one swift movement, he swept his hand across the floor, and the pieces of the forgotten rose shattered, only to reform after brief hesitation into his ring finger. By the time he was standing straight again, no one would have ever noticed anything peculiar.

It was time. A slight itch on his foot reminded him that he still wore his boots, and with two graceful kicks both landed in his outstretched hands. Instantly, genius struck, and Bassareus knew the perfect way to start the show.

“My name is Bassareus Laverne.” His loud, silky baritone flowed over the crowd and competitors alike.

With one movement, both boots flew to opposite sides of the arena, aimed directly at the deadly plates to the East and West of him. While they were unlikely to reach their destination, the initial scare it might make was enough to satisfy the man.

Arms snapped outward, then crossed above, and his boots flew towards the plates as the elaborate, thin face of a dragon covered the magician’s own. It seemed to hesitate a moment, before disappearing, fracturing into a thousand pieces and returning to clenched fists. Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages... welcome to The Greatest Show in Lore.
Post #: 5
7/17/2019 23:47:28   
Dragonknight315

“Ah, a visitor.”

The clergyman rose to his feet and turned, brushing off his robe with his worn hands. He had heard their approach, the soft footsteps treading upon the broken ground. Before him stood a figure cloaked in black, their face obscured beneath the hood. Only their pale hands, ones of youth, were visible.

A moment passed with nothing said. “Well?” The groundskeeper crossed his arms and raised his eyes. “Come on then — Be you living or wraith? There is room here for both.”

“. . . Riana.” A voice beckoned from the cloak. Feminine, hushed to a whisper, yet the name carried through the air, bounding forward in freedom.

“Excuse me?” His eyes went wide as he took a step back.

“Riana. Have you heard of Riana — or of a man, Elt?”

The elder clutched his chest in shock, his eyes clouded in recalling. He hung his head low with voice cracking: “Aye. Haven’t heard those names in a long, long time— buried them myself. You come to see them?”

The hooded lady nodded. With a sigh, the elder led the way through the sea of alabaster. Pillars of gemstone, crypts with mithril etching, towering monoliths for those who had departed — all glittering in the evening twilight. Amidst them, the living, crowds dressed in purples and golds, somber murmurs with petals scattered in prayer. But as the two continued, these sights gave way to an empty clearing, waiting for its future patrons.

“There-” The groundskeeper pointed — at the farthest edge, two obsidian fences intertwined. As the lady drew close, she could make out two small stones next to the metal.

“Here they are.”

As they reached the stones, the cloaked lady knelt on the ground, wiping the dust with her palm. The stones were rough and jagged, hastily made. Time had not been kind, too, as the inscriptions were only just legible.

“Riana”

“Elt”

Her hood was fixed to the twinned stones. “Hmph. No surnames?”

“None,” the groundskeeper scoffed as he looked over the lady’s shoulders. “They were born serfs, and they died as serfs.”

“I see.” The lady traced her fingers along the letters.

“Quite the tragedy, they were. Elven mother and human father; one was bound to outlive the other. Who would have guessed that Riana would die first?”

The man continued. “After their esteemed daughter was gone, they were left with naught. Even a servant has their master’s lands to work. But these. . their freedom meant nothing. After the lass was declared dead, Riana took her own life. Elt soon followed, drinking until he was no more. . .”

The lady seemed to nod with every word, much to the elder’s surprise. “You’re a good listener, young one, but I gather you know this already. . . Would you like a moment with them?”

“Oh no - If I wanted to do that, I would have sought them in person. . . Perhaps I already have found them; one never knows. . .”

The clergyman cocked his head at the lady. With that tone of voice, he swore that she was smiling beneath that hood. And yet, there was a hint of sorrow in those puzzling words. “Pardon this old man, but what business do you have with the dead here?”

He watched as the lady pulled back her hood, revealing locks of raven-hair with short braids. “I knew them,” she said, her voice returning to a whisper.

“Knew them?” The elder gave a sordid laugh “I buried them when I was a young lad, before you were even a thought in your father’s skull! That was over seventy years ago!

The lady twisted to face the elder, and the laughter stopped. Scars like red-lighting adorned the women’s left side, but that was not his focus. “Those eyes. . .” Deep gold, like honey. “Are. . are you?-”

“No, they are not my parents—” she hissed before giving a sigh. “I knew Morrigan.”

“Oh, is that so?”

The lady looked away from the elder. “We went to the Lynarian Academy together, said she was going to unravel the hidden mysteries of the world.
Another moment of silence passed before the man spoke. “It was . . his last wish for the two to be buried with their daughter.”

“I see how well that went.” She furrowed her brow as she sighed. “But her marker is here, yes?” she said, rising to her feet.

The elder nodded again. “I can take you to her cenotaph.”

“Please.”

“Perhaps I was wrong. . I would like a moment to myself, please.”

“Very well, then. If you get lost, just seek one of us out.”

“I appreciate the notion, but I will be fine.”

The groundskeeper bowed his head before escorting himself away. Finally alone, the lady turned towards her own cenotaph. A large slab of onyx marble that dwarfed even her height, nearly twice as tall and about as thick.

They must have spent so much on this, all in honor of their “beloved daughter.” What fools to be so short-sighted. . . No parents of mine.

Her eyes turned to the inscription at its center, fresh as the day it was carved.

“Our Brightest Star
In absentia,
Morrigan Chase”

I stopped being your daughter in your eyes long ago. I was a prodigy, an anomaly, your magical ticket to freedom!

Her eyes glowed as she bashed her fist against the cenotaph, its surface cracking along the words.

All I wanted was to make the world a better place, to make you proud!

Another slam and the cracks grew deeper as the stone sunk in.

And now, I know that it was all pointless, this weight on my shoulders. You don’t even exist anymore!

She pressed her face against the cracked stone, tears flowing from her eyes.

“But now. . . I now have the means. The cycle will be broken. . .This name, the one I have chosen myself. . .” she pulled back her fist—

“It will be mine, forever!”

And with a shout, she ran her hand through marble, shards flying as the top half of the gravemarker fell forward, shattering into dozens of pieces against the foundation. Morrigan wiped her tears and smiled upon her work — a sliver of content in her soul. But this was only the start, she knew. Bren awaits me.

As Morrigan walked amongst the crowds, her fingers traced the cold blade at her side.

You’ll drink richly today.

She followed the parade of life towards the center of town, her good eye scanning the streets, and dozens if not hundreds of souls lined every corner in anticipation for the contest. Many came to watch the events, and many more sought to profit from them. Merchants and innkeepers, bards and culinarians, not to mention the Lords’ champions — all here to make the most of their meager lives, herself included.

Do they understand how much is at stake? What kind of power is here?

She ran her palm against the sash. Even if Morrigan were robbed of all her senses, she could *feel* Bren from miles away. Even the most magically-numbed of all the living could sense this— Raw. Primordial. Nothing in the academy could have prepared one for this, for the city breathed with untold unique magicks. A smile crept on her face as she pondered. Oh, if only she could spend the rest of time here. Perhaps she would.

But before she could dream of tomorrow, Morrigan knew that today had to be won. Passing through another set of gates and into a wide courtyard, she scanned the horizon in search of the register. She did not have to spy for long as a crowd was forming in one of the far corners. As she pushed past the crowd, she overheard the men speak:

“It is no name, boy.

“I w-will see the paperwork filled, my lord. . .”

“Oh, my little fool, I was so much more than a lord.”

As he turned to walk away, Morrigan caught a glimpse of the man: a jagged frame, one of pure terror. In his eye was a yellow gem, and his arm was like a cloud of darkness, ephemeral and ever-changing.

“Curious. . . ” In another life, she might have wondered what could drive a human to such lengths, such scorn, but for her, a mirror would suffice. A kindred spirit perhaps? She shook her head as she approached the still-reeling man.

“I assume this is the register?”

“Why, uh, y-yes.” The man choked on his own words as he pulled out another set of paperwork. Without word or fuss, she took quill to paper, and it was done.

“Morrigan Chase, is it?” The clerk covered his face as he hacked once more. “I wish you the best for today. The tournament isn’t ready to start yet. Enjoy this last moment of rest while you can. Perhaps visit a tavern or-” He was cut short as his cough returned.

“No, thank you.” She smiled and nodded. “Perhaps I will. Good day, sir.” But as Morrigan turned, a tense sting awoke in her fingers, and as she looked down, black specks dusted her hands. Another smile. Curious indeed.

As the competitors entered, Morrigan found solace in the corner of the room. She twirled a coin in her hand as she recalled the attendants words.

“In the Cellar, no healing magic will work. Furthermore, no fighting is to begin until after the demonstration.”

A demonstration? Of what? She twisted the coin in her fingers, dancing the metal around and around. Reality in momentum, magic in my hands. She called upon the birthright of her blood, rolling her shoulders as she quickened the mana through her veins, but just as it began, it ended. The mana ceased to flow, and in that moment of surprise, the coin clattered to the ground. “What on lore-” She reached down and took the coin into her hands with a growl. My intent is clear to them. I’ll wait— for now.

As they waited, Morrigan rolled her eye across her company.

A ghost of a lady. White hair, white dress, open slash across the neck. A scar always open. Worrisome.

A man dressed to perform, black cloth gilded in gold. He bows to the ghost and offers a flower born of his own flesh. A man who lives for others eyes. Everchanging form. Uncertain.

An array of color, the peak of a man in his youth, one of kindred eyes and ears. Rebellious, potential. Fear him as you fear yourself.

A spirit of nature. Vines for hair, bark-like skin, flickering lights about her. She could sense some form of presence around her, but beyond that, not much else. Unknown. Not my expertise.

Then there was the man from before. His eyes darted to the others, stalking them like a predator on the hunt, gaze meeting for a brief moment. Morrigan’s fingers twitched unconsciously as she passed over his eldritch arm. Likeminded. Most dangerous.

But of all of them, the crystalline golem drew her attention. Smooth, dark as night, a contraption of alternating crystal and metal made in the outline of a man. She took a step forward and peered at the figure’s “face,” a small glimmer swirling within the crystal. It was unmistakable: magitek - the crystal lives. She could sense the mana brimming from inside, a mix of both living and inanimate. Curious, most curious. This one is mine.

Content with her survey, she gave an unhinged smile as she whispered. “We’re all monsters here.”

At last, the platform shook and began its descent.

It begins.

Morrigan looked over the edge at the arena below; a room of square titles with eerie red lights tracing the edges. She could see a metal panel fixed to one of the walls.

“So, what’s this demonstration?

Just as she spoke, the platform sunk into the ground. A wailing sound filled her ears, and the distant plate sunk deeper into the wall. Without warning, a set of blades screeched across the room.

A voice from above. “Fight with honor, or else die with glory!”

A flood of thoughts. Fear. Surprise.

Amusement. A plan.

Without hesitation, Morrigan began to spin the coin as she made haste towards the western plate. Glancing back, the ghostly one had leaped into the sky, wings spread wide for all to witness. Another had darted in the opposite direction. But as she counting her good fortune, she looked back to see the jagged man just ahead with his stave in hand.
“Reality in momentum, magic in my hands.” This time, it heeded her call, mana quickening from soul to flesh. All that was needed was time.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 6
7/18/2019 23:22:04   
draketh99
Purple Armadillo

The room had been silent for minutes, but these minutes felt like hours. A young woman pressed her thumbs into the bridge of her nose, taking in a deep sigh. Her lips tightened and her eyes betrayed the sheer extent of the patience she had lost. Jax seemed to pay her no mind, keeping his back to her, his attention fixed on something out the window.

“You’re crazy, you know…” The young woman began. “Absolutely stupid.”

She hurled a small stone at Jax, which only bounced off his back and onto the floor, the runes he had earlier inscribed still casting a faint glow.

“Mmh…” seemed to be Jax’ only response.

“The least you can do is be attentive while I berate you, idiot.” She continued. She stood up, proving to be half a foot taller than Jax and spun him around, grabbing his hair and forcing him to look up at her. “I really don’t have the time to deal with your moods today. Besides, you should be studying for the entrance exam, you may actually pass this time…”

At that, Jax flinched. He snapped out of whatever world that seemed to encapsulate him and keep him from the present. He looked up at her, his eyes sharpening and honing again, watching her carefully. “I’m not taking the exam again, Diana. There’s no point to it now, I’ve made up my mind. I’m going to do this.”

Not half a heartbeat later Diana had shoved him against the wall and caught him in the face with a left hook, bloodying his nose.

t was a bright and clear morning, yet the streets were no less crowded. People shoved back and forth, crowding themselves through the streets, adventurers of all kinds attempting to shove their way to the championships. Smelling only slightly better and ten times as obnoxious were the crowds and crowds of fans who had come to cheer their favorites, boo their adversaries, or simply enjoy a gladiatorial performance.

Jax shook his head, blocking out the sounds, the smells, the touching, and shoving. His eyes narrowed onto the series of towers ahead. He noted how their shadow seemed to cut the city directly in half. A deep breath brought him past this fact. It hadn’t taken too long for him to shove and slip his way through the streets, eventually finding his way to a registration booth. And there he stood. The only thing that seemed to take longer than enduring a lecture from Diana was waiting in line. To wait was to waste. At some point while the sun was still up, he was finally at the front. An elderly gentleman scribbled names, surnames, and next of kin into a book, his large, round glasses seemingly glued to the pages.

Jax coughed.
“Oh! Yes! I’m sorry I didn’t see you there. Are you here to sign up today a mr.- Jax! Jax is that you? What on earth are you doing here! Did you finally decide to earn a solid day’s wage instead of wasting your time trying to get into the academy?” The man started, closing the book onto his hand and looking up, squaring his shoulders a little bit. “You know I could put a good word in for you. You’re a hard worker, though stubborn as a bull.”

Jax quickly shook his head, grimacing a bit. “Sorry Theo, I’m not here for a job. I’m here to register.”

Glass shattered. Theo startled and quickly turned to see he’d dropped his glass onto the cobblestone beneath. He bit his lip before turning to look back at Jax. “My boy you’ve certainly gone mad! Do you know-” The man leaned in, lowering his voice to a hoarse whisper. “Do you know the caliber of warriors that have entered since I took registration this morning? Now isn’t the time for one of your stupid ideas. Just put up with it, it’s only for a short time every year. All the people will leave and we can go on about our lives in just a bit. If you’re smart, you can earn some coin from it like the rest of us…”

Jax stood and stared at the man, unwavering.

“Theo… I… my friend I appreciate the advice, and I mean that. You’ve always been good to me. I trust you, and I know in my mind that you’re right. I know what you’re telling me is the most logical step to follow, but….”

“But what?” Theo asked.

“But I can’t.” Jax started. “You know I haven’t even been able to… Just please sign my name in the book, Theo. I’ll just find another booth if you don’t. I know what I’m getting myself into. I don’t want that to potentially be the last interaction I have with you.”

Theo took a sharp breath and grunted, nodding slowly as he opened the large tome back up and signed away Jax’ full name, pausing at the next of kin section. He looked back up at Jax. “You’ve spoken to Diana about this?”

“Yeah.” Jax nodded. “Yeah I have.”

The deafening rumble of stone was much, much more peaceful than the chatter of the crowds. There was no betting. None of the talk of who would live and who would die, no one discussing and making light the chances of blood. There was only the sound of stone, the deep rumble of power, surrounded by the silence of warriors about to test themselves at their craft.

Jax watches his other competitors as they were lowered into the arena. They were a strange array, and he had grown accustomed to strange arrays this time of year.

A voice sounded in the arena. Some sort of announcer, probably. Jax was nearly halfway through a sigh before his breath caught in his chest. He flinched and jumped back as the blades flew forth nearly catching his foot.

“Oh”

Jax slowly nodded, finally understanding the game he was playing.

The second everything had quieted and the announcer had sounded, Jax sprung into movement, watching his opponents all the while. He drew out four sigils in front of himself, his fingertips leaving momentary neon afterglow as he grasped his fingers together infront of himself.

“I bid the sparks of the ether and the flames arcane, grant me a grasp on all that eludes me.” Jax chanted out the invocation as he had practiced thousands of times.

From two glowing arcane gates, two floating, pink, disembodied hands came floating out. One of them an average size of a hand, the other nearly the size of a man’s head.

Jax nodded as he quickly surveyed his opponents, before locking onto Bassareus.

“You’re loud, you’ll do.” He grunted.

Keeping the smaller hand close to himself, the larger hand clenched into a fix, rocketing towards Bassareus, aiming just below the center of mass, hoping to strongly impact the man’s gut.
DF  Post #: 7
7/18/2019 23:27:50   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

Behind him a man lifted his voice. Smooth, cultured, conceited. The coxcomb speaks, what a surprise.

“If you’ve naught of use or sense to speak, boy, remain silent. There’s wisdom in silence, more than you have yet to speak.”

The plate was ahead, but there were other sounds, heard clearly thanks to the diminished roar of the crowd in this sealed Cellar. The first was a hollow clump behind him as something struck the floor, but more importantly there was a sound of footsteps, swift and sure. --Pursuit.-- Sark Ynet shot a sidelong glance over one shoulder, spotting the knife-ear paralleling his course, though she was as yet several steps behind.

Perhaps she wished to stop him, perhaps she wished to beat him to his goal, or perhaps she thought to make him some offer of alliance. He had heard tales of such, bandied about by sots and layabouts carousing the taverns of Bren in his time before the Championships began. Truly, the man cared naught for such contrivances, and should this woman think otherwise, she would find his answer - much to her sorrow - conveyed on his weapon’s deadly tip.

But for now the ranseur remained along his back, clasped tightly below its head. By contrast Sark Ynet’s left arm pumped freely as he ran, the dead-line falling further behind as the plate approached. A feral smile split his lips as the wiry man realized his shadowed limb once more gave forth its brackish dust. Whatever binding had been laid upon it had expired, or he had outpaced it with his headlong rush. Twisting his wrist and fluttering his fingers - no doubt an odd sight from the knife-ear’s perspective - Sark Ynet did what he could to lace the air behind him with further floating flakes.

“Nothing like running to strengthen the lungs, boy. Ten more laps. Steady breathing, in and out. One day, mayhaps, you’ll be a Dragon. But by the God-Emperor I’ll see you earn it!”

This spectral voice too the man brushed aside, judging he was close enough now to ask his question. Hurling himself forward, Sark Ynet let his trailing left leg buckle and sweep to his right. A moment later his other knee bent as his momentum shifted, sending the man into a pivoting turn as he went down to his knees. Yet his speed dragged him westward still, sliding towards both wall and plate as the ranseur in his right hand swung up to point in the direction of his trailing opponent.

Reaching across his body to catch the haft with his umbral hand, Sark Ynet steadied the polearm as its end crashed into the slab with force enough to drive it back and activate the fiendish mechanism. The siren screamed as a shiver of vibration hummed up the ranseur’s shaft, and its wielder flashed a small, chill smile of challenge in the knife-ear’s direction. Come to me then, if you dare it.

He knew what to look for, to see the faint skrim of dark flecks dancing in the air between them.

His question had been asked. Even now the blades burst free of their confinement, howling down their appointed courses. North to South. East to West. Just as before.

Then let the battle be joined. I will show them what worth there is in “honor”.

--Honor is for the foolish and the dead. Wars are fought to be won.--
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 8
7/18/2019 23:52:49   
Necro-Knight

“Front and center! Don’t give those accursed, rotting sons of-!”

The rest of the commander’s colorful adjectives were cut short by another explosion that sent the nearby group of soldiers and war-casters tumbling over each other like leaves caught in a strong summer gale. The near-endless battlefield echoed with similar explosions and the relentless rat-tat-tat of weapon fire as the men and women gathered their respective limbs, weapons and bearings.

The travel spell that had delivered them onto the battlefield had been simple, a blue rune-orb that could carry a total of eight men and women well above the growing no man’s land and reinforce the lines wherever needed with record speed for this point in the war. The squad leader, a stout young man with onyx hair highlighted with streaks of deep violet across his bangs and forest-emerald eyes, watched from the front of the group as a streak of screaming violet light cut through the pillars of black smoke and engulfed their commanding officer and war-caster both in an eruption of violent magic.

With the spell cut short without warning, the squad tumbled fifteen feet to the crater-riddled earth and barely recovered before a second spell-mortar impacted not more than five yards away, sending the already-bewildered squad leader onto his back once again.

Maybe if I just lie here and don’t see it coming, maybe it won’t hurt.

Even as this thought passed his mind, he rolled over to see the smoking corpses of his commanding officer and her accompanying war-caster, their bones burnt to charcoal. The nausea that rippled through his stomach and settled in his throat chased this thought away and forced his limbs to move again as they pushed him up to one knee.

“Captain Soringer! Roth, talk to us! We’re sitting ducks out here and Serana has a broken leg from that landing! We need cover and we need it now!”

Roth recognized the voice even among the sounds of war around them. Private Torrense, the sharpest member of his squad, if not the most disagreeable man he’d ever met in the tavern between skirmishes. He hated him as a drinking buddy, but as a fellow soldier? There was no one he trusted more with split-second decisions. As Roth pushed himself to his feet and swept his eyes across the war-torn land, he realized why they’d been requested without much warning.

This battle was, without question, the most hellish he’d ever witnessed. Enemy war machines lumbered dozens of meters tall, their golden armor reflecting the weapons fire and murderous magic that seemed to be traded in equal measure. The soul-fueled behemoths traveled like patient mountains on two legs as they rained down violet beams from turret emplacements across their humanoid sides and sent mortars screaming from the launchers lining their spines. One of those attacks from the nearest machine had casually wiped out his commanding leadership and Roth wondered how many others were dying by the second, by the minute.

“Roth, that last impact leave you deaf?! Wounded ally, need cover!”

As he tore his eyes from the towering vehicles of destruction, he spotted a deep crater roughly forty meters off towards the north-west. He was meant to lead his men and women to victory, and all he saw now was a smoking hole in the earth to hide in, but it was still better than dying here in the middle of nowhere.

“Rabbit hole, 40 meters off! Grab Serana and I’ll cover us! Move out!”

Roth barked as he finally found his voice since arriving and motioned with a full-arm swing towards the crater he’d spotted. Without hesitation, Torrense pushed himself beneath Serana’s arm and lifted her up onto her one good leg as Roth lifted his arms up in front of his face. As he exerted a portion of will, a half-spherical barrier of violet magic, not unlike the power being rained down over them, sprang to life in front of the squad leader. Moments later, a long-ranged shot impacted the shield and was sent sparking off into the dirt beside them. If he’d delayed for any longer, that spell would have most likely torn through his chest and left his brothers and sisters truly lost.

As Roth formed the front of their squad, the rest of his men took up a tight formation behind his shield to avoid any further injuries, occasionally retaliating with their own arcane-blue magics whenever an enemy wandered too close. Their foes varied from one to the other; some were humanoid constructs with hulking arms made of black sapphire and used their long claws to shred their victims. Others were nothing more than the reanimated husks of their former allies who shambled forward to attack drunkenly with their fists or weapons. They could be destroyed easily, but they returned against shortly after an enemy war-caster found the corpse or parts again, meaning the war of attrition was constantly tilted away from their favor.

As they neared the edge of the crater, the squad leader dissipated his barrier to help Torrense carry their wounded war caster down the steep wall and onto flat ground. As the rest of the squad followed, Roth finally got to take in their condition. Serana laid there as two of his riflemen began cleaning her leg, before they moved to wrapping an enchanted bandage around the limb. It would heal in time, but not here, and without their superior, Roth had no further information on their current objective besides surviving. Torrense had caught a stray shot across his shin, but the wound did not seem to be impeding him in any way, and must’ve just grazed him as it went by.
Despite a near catastrophic entrance to their mission, the squad was alive and Roth could still potentially lead them out of here that way as well, if he kept his head on straight. The hope that swelled in his chest had barely reached its full height before it was dashed at a high-pitched screech from far above them. The squad moved as one to look up and saw the source; one of the behemoth war machines had adjusted its direction and was now focusing its full, unmitigated attention upon the insects now in its path.

Another screeching warning, one far more real than the one in Roth’s memory, would’ve sent a shiver down his spine if he’d still had one. As the butchering weapons rushed from one corner of the arena to the next, he sighed. It was far from the most monstrous, inhuman death machine he’d seen in his days, but it would’ve been nice to have a battlefield without extreme hazards as well as individuals bent on his gruesome execution.

As he took in the rest of his arena, he tried to remember what had set his mind reeling back into the war so vividly. Then it hit him. The competitor near him, a woman, and the maddened smile she’d given him at the end of her inspection. It was an expression he’d seen on enemy warlords, war casters and other beings who had both fueled the war and delighted in its continuation.

Maybe we are all monsters, he thought as he looked around at the other beings assembled and reacting to the death traps in their own ways, but you’re the worst kind. The kind that enjoys it.

He hadn’t had much of a plan going in to this; arena combat had never been what he was trained for, but now he had a target. An objective. That was far easier to understand, and once their entrance was secured and a voice from above signalled them free to begin the wholesale-slaughter, he’d decided on a plan of attack. To be as swift and decisive as possible. Roth let her gain a few yards of distance before he pumped his new legs and followed, noting the movement of others around him but keeping his objective in his sight.

Stopping roughly fifteen feet from her, he planted his feet and called upon his power without hesitation. His right fist snapped out, quick and sharp, to unleash a quick jab whose motion continued off his knuckles in the form of a shadowy orb that raced towards the monster in human skin. The shadowboxer followed the motion up immediately with the same arm, throwing the blow in a circular motion from right to left. This bolt of darkness sharpened at the tip and travelled most of the distance before suddenly arcing in a scythe-like motion towards the woman’s shoulder.

He was about to re-position for another set of punches, but the same shrill alarm sounded and the blades lining the floor made their presence known again, streaking across his path and cutting him short.

Patience, Roth. We’ve got to last until the final round here.
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 9
7/19/2019 19:17:31   
superjars

Her adversaries either remained in the central block of the room or moved in directions opposite of her initial rush. None moved to stop her retreat, nor impede her movement. So she was to be underestimated once again, then? Well, she would show them. While Shandrae’s ability to adapt was formidable, and she could flow with changing conditions in the heat of combat, giving her time to formulate and execute a strategy was not in any foe’s best interests. Now that the shaman had some space, she glanced around the room, trying to get a look at others' initial attacks. With a first real look at the combatants, it appeared that they had a mixture of medium to long-range abilities. While the half-elemental preferred to get in close with opponents, she also had tools to stay at a distance.

The sound of drums slowed, quieting as the bond released and the mound of sand solidified into place around her left forearm, its weight added to her own. A deep breath. The shaman switched routes, ponderously side-stepping towards the west as she reached out to the jungle, willing Vezzin forward to initiate their bond, a soft thrum of vibrant tones emanating from the core of the vines as they responded. The chorus of creation reached its crescendo with the coalescing of their connection, a rush of power emanating forth as the vines reached to grasp her arm.

The next breath caught in Shandrae’s throat as a loud clangor broke her concentration and she - and the spirits - paused mid-stride, glancing quickly down to see the line mere feet before her. The siren had sounded and the cutting menace whistled by once more. It was going to take a few more experiences of the jarring call before she was used to its abruptness. The shaman blinked quickly, recovering her focus and taking the few remaining steps to reach the southern stone. This change of positioning would allow the tracking of as many of the other combatants as she could, lest she be blindsided by one.

Despite the distraction, mere moments were all the half-elemental needed to finish connecting to her companion. The form she wanted it to take snapped into her mind, as right hand reached out to spirit to grasp the vines. The fibrous tendrils unfurled from their spherical form, strands crawling up their master’s arm to weave about her limb and each other until a sort of gauntlet was formed. Two strands of medium thickness draped to the ground, and she swished them ahead in a practiced motion, hearing them whistle through the air and end with a punctuated crack. One more spirit and she would be wielding a formidable weapon.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 10
7/19/2019 23:10:39   
  Chewy905

“Your sins are so heavy. Rest here. Allow us to help you set them down. Here you are safe. Here you can be absolved.”

Her voice rolled over the bandit with the force of a tidal wave and the gentleness of a soft Summer breeze. He stopped struggling with his chains and raised his head.

“There there. It’s okay. Just listen, and help others listen too. That’s all you need to do.”

The bandit rose slowly to his knees and gazed into the angel’s eyes, his own focused and soft.

“Good. Will you accept the absolution? Will you help others achieve the peace and freedom this Church of Voices has granted you?”

The bandit nodded, eyes filled with joy. The angel smiled down at the eager soul, watching the tightness in his body fade away as his mind relaxed. “You are saved.” She whispered. With her words, a priest advanced. He removed the bandit’s chains and ungagged him, then stepped back, hands clasped in prayer.

The bandit rose to his feet and rubbed his sore wrists. In a quiet voice, he spoke. “I have shed blood. Stolen livelihoods. Killed and maimed and sinned. I am ready to do what I must to atone. Thank you.”

He bowed, and the priest advanced again, taking The Saved by the arm and guiding him away to be cleaned and taught the ways of the Church.

The Chapel now empty, Nigh withdrew her wings and removed her earplugs. With a heavy sigh, she sank down to the floor, a pile of white robes. Her hands came together as the priests had before, and her voice escaped in a whisper. “Oh Lord of Light, thank you for your generous gifts, that I may use them to help not myself, but others.”

The silence wasn’t a presence, but rather a lack of one. The feeling that a part of her identity had been torn out of her. The void ached and gnawed away at her every day, always there, always known. Some nights she would wake up, the feeling of blood flowing from her neck, but when she touched the wound it would always be dry.

So when her arrow struck the performer’s leg, the explosive feeling of return almost sent her to her knees with tears in her eyes. It was back! She knew! Her Lord had bestowed upon her its gift once more, so that she could save those within these pits. The angel opened her mouth, drew in a breath, and spoke for the first time in a year.

“For the sake of your loved ones and your futures, please lay down your weapons and surrender!”

Her words, her meaning, but not her voice, not from her mouth. It was the voice of the showman, rich and smooth, sourced from his place at the center of the arena. Was it his magic? Able to wrest her thoughts from her mind and force them out so his shallow spirit could bask in attention meant for all others?

She shouted again. “Nothing will stop the will of the Lords, but we need not bow our heads and play the pawns for the enjoyment of the crowds! We can resolve this without death!”

Still her words were stolen. Snatched away from her throat and projected by the man in the gilded cloak. And yet… his mouth did not move. He even looked… confused? He was distracted, locked in combat with the younger one between her and himself. In only a few seconds his body language had displayed so many different emotions. Confusion. Fear. Excitement. Was this not his doing, then? She lifted her right hand to her throat, her other keeping a tight grip on her bow. Her scar was still there, prominent as ever.

Myself, then? A strange blessing, and not the one I wanted. Why do you taunt me so!

The siren screamed again, and from behind the two blades screamed with it, flying along their paths with unstoppable force. Nigh confirmed with a quick scan of the room that no one was destined for danger, then noticed movement near her chosen. The younger, arcane hands at his control, and one outstretched from striking the showman

Wood rose. Her fingers danced along the string, releasing arrows two. The first the same silver as the one before it, the second of golden hue, though diluted slightly by the Law of The Cellar. They traveled single file, closing in on the boy’s shoulder. Her distraction set, she stretched her wings once more and repositioned, moving clockwise round the room to better observe the two in its heart. She kept a watchful eye on the inhuman at the edge of her sight, accompanied by spheres of various colors, unsure of the beings potential or attitude but ready to react if it proved to be hostile.
Post #: 11
7/20/2019 22:34:38   
Dragonknight315

From the center, voices erupted in the Cellar as Morrigan advanced forward, but she gave no heed to them. Her gaze was trained on the jagged man alone. He was swift, much faster than she anticipated, and he was nearing the plate. Great minds think alike. But will you play my hand for me?

Unexpectedly, the warrior snapped his left arm out, his fingers twitching in the air. A spell, perhaps? The scholar responded in turn, waving her right arm around as the mana flowed through her veins, but suddenly, she felt it - pain, like a rock bashed against her upper back. Immediately, another strike came as a sharp thud to her left shoulder. She staggered to her knees and gasped as the chill took hold in her bones. And just like that, the coin fell to the ground, and the enchantment disappeared in her mind.

What?! Morrigan ran her fingers behind her left shoulder. The first attack had left some major bruising. Fortunately, the second had only made it partially through, shearing her cloak but stopping halfway through her leather.

She darted back to her quarry. He was now kneeling against the plate with both weapon and smile brandished, his gaze fixed towards her form. So he pushed the plate.

Something didn’t seem right, however. If he had cast the spell, surely he would have advanced on her weakened state? It’s what she would have done. What was the point of activating the blades? Unless, someone else. . .

As Morrigan looked back towards the source of her injuries, she spied the blades crossing their infernal paths with none other than the walking crystal only a few feet away. His was standing on the other side of the line, arms held forward. The mana trail led straight back to him.

Oh, aren’t you precious! I should have known you had a few surprises. . . But I’ve felt worse—

Morrigan placed her left hand down, and with a heave, she leaped to her feet and moved backwards towards the red line on her left, her eye darting back and forth between the two. As she did, the ache still burned in her back. Perhaps the wounds had found greater purchase than Morrigan first thought, but she was still alive. Her plan could be salvaged with a few adjustments, but only if they played her game.

As Morrigan moved, she reached for the bag at her waist with one hand and hung it upside-down, leaving a trail of silver coins behind. Just as she was halfway between the two assailants, she grabbed both hands on the bag and pulled it forward, spewing the remaining coins closer towards the jagged warrior. With her preparation complete, Morrigan let the sack fall to the ground as she brought both her palms together, a brief light humming in her interlocked fingers.

A war on two fronts. Which would be the first to advance?
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 12
7/21/2019 21:00:16   
roseleaf320
Creative!

And thus, the chaos began. Above it all stood one master. The future Ice Paragon stayed incredibly calm, analyzing each actor’s movement on stage as if he himself were the director. All except two had fled the main plate: himself and a rather spry man wearing an unflattering martial arts gi. All brawn, no brain. Though, the magician was expecting a normal punch, so when a large, rather girly pink fist flew his way, it was pleasantly surprising (but I will suggest to the readers that a show of your unmanliness is not the ideal way to open an exhibition). Bassareus lowered his hands, and soon his left held a bouquet of flowers, while his right arm, now truncated and covered in a thin layer of ice, followed close behind. Quick to meet the unusual magic, eloquently carved lilies and baby’s breath thrust sideways, with just enough force to redirect the punch harmlessly to Bassareus’ left. “Come to join the dance?”

With the brawler standing a mere ten feet away, a counterstrike proved easily accessible. Retracting the bouquet, Bassareus directed his focus into a small dagger, his left ring and pinky fingers exploding outwards only to reform into a small, ornate dagger grasped in his palm. Seems your performance might prove short, boy.

But before he could strike, a deep voice rang through the arena. An… oddly familiar voice. “For the sake of your loved ones and your futures, please lay down your weapons and surrender!”

Those were definitely not Bassareus’ words. Surrender? That defeated the purpose! Yet this was his voice, ringing in his ears like the echoes he had heard off of countless stadium walls. But do not fear, my readers, for though the magician succumbed to a brief wave of panic, it was quick to yield to his normal high intelligence and reason. He was still in control. Of course he was. The Lords were surely playing tricks on him, testing him to determine his true worth. He would show them. He would become the Ice Paragon and the victor, taking this wish for himself, no matter what they decided to throw at him. He was still in control.

The Angel. Bassareus paid no mind to the next announcement, for his sharp eye had found the announcer. Not a test from the Lords, but a silly girl playing with another's toys. Her lips moved in time with his voice as she flew, a surreal sight in an arena of blades and death. Cat got your tongue, so you take mine instead? Many women and men alike would kill for that pleasure. There was more to this girl than he had first assumed. A worthy partner in his dance.

The room came to life again, blades flashing, but the Star paid no mind to his stage. Instead he watched as the damsel shot arrows of pure light, and their target, his former opponent, seemed insignificant. So far away…

In his distraction, the dagger formerly meant for the boxer had dropped from his hand and cracked against the cold stone floor. With one fluid swish of his arm, the weapon was returned to flesh only to freeze again, now a small cross. Two intricate feathers formed the lesser sections, stretching outward from the middle shaft. A tasteful icon, mimicking the symbol on the old, battered cleric’s robes. The Church of Voices, if Bassareus’ memory served him (it always did). Perhaps this angel could do with a conversion, as it seemed she was in desperate need of a Voice. A single flick of his wrist was all that was needed to send the icon towards the Angel with the precision of a master. “Why so shy, little angel? Come dance with us.”
Post #: 13
7/21/2019 22:54:52   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

Sark Ynet’s eyes narrowed as the abomination intervened. Its motions were like those of a boxer or monk, lashing out barehanded at its target. Unsurprising, as such unnatural constructs often had unnatural strength to accompany them. And yet, while it was obviously out of reach of its opponent, still it struck. And from the thing’s swinging limbs came concentrated bursts of energy - apparently physical force - that staggered the knife-ear and drew her attention. Cellar’s deadly blade whistled by, passing between the two and forcing the disgusting construct to pause its advance, though the woman still recovered too quickly for Sark Ynet to rise and advance upon her himself.

He did, however, espy the flashing reflection of light off some object that had tumbled from her fingers as the abberation’s blows struck home - a small disk. Silver, he thought, though perhaps it might have been steel. What use, a coin in a place like this?, Sark Ynet wondered as he drew himself back to his feet. If the knife-ear thought to buy favor with her opposition she must truly be a fool.

“There are no foolish questions. Should you wish to understand the leading of men, ask whatever you would know. It will not be the same for you as me, but if you do not ask, you will never learn.”

Well and good that might be, but so far as Sark Ynet was concerned, the greatest imbecile within the Cellar at the moment was the coxcomb, still at the center of the Arena and crowing about surrender. Shall I kiss your foot then, and swear you fealty? For a moment, the jagged man considered leaving the pankrationist and the knife-ear to each other’s tender mercies, if only to show the vainglorious dandiprat just the sort of kiss he could expect in this place.

--Leave no task undone.--

It was sage advice, Sark Ynet conceded, for all that this was not the first time it had been given. Leaving two opponents at his back was no sound strategy, and his opening dance was only just in its overture. Should the thing wish to impede… then Sark Ynet would give it his attention as well.

No doubt the knife-ear thought the same, for she slipped south towards the dead-line, upending a pouch and scattering gleaming coins in a slewing arc between them. The wiry man watched with a faint air of bemusement as the currency tumbled to the tile; each specie pinging and clinking as they wobbled drunken circles on their rims or rebounded into the air before jouncing to a halt. The first disk - dropped by the woman as she was struck - proved more intrepid than the others, rolling its way along the distance betwixt Sark Ynet and the coin-thrower, clicking lightly off the toe of his battered boot before toppling over. It was silver, that much he could see clearly now, and stamped with a stylized sun.

It winked up at him, glinting a distant memory of a woman's teasing voice. “Would you buy me for a pretty then? A bauble bought at market? Tis not so simple to purchase the Fairest Maiden in Rodeken.”

He kicked backwards viciously, snarling and slamming the worn sole of his boot against the plate even as it slid smoothly away from its flush position with the wall. The slab buckled backward, meeting the trigger of its deadly mechanism with a clang of impact. Overhead the klaxon howled a third time as the jagged man pushed off the wall, the errant coin flipping end over end as it was caught by the toe of his boot and sent spinning away.

Sark Ynet charged, rushing south and east, bearing down on the knife-ear even as the blades sang from the northern and eastern walls. Between his rush and his destination lay the arc of coins, a double handful of suns scattered to the compass. They would prove no barrier to his assault.

Least of all because the wiry man had no intention of crossing that argent line. Just before reaching the outermost layer of coins Sark Ynet stomped, planting a foot hard and shifting his weight to turn the forward-rush into a spin. His hands flexed slightly, letting the ranseur’s helve slide between his fingers, playing out inch by inch as he pivoted through a full revolution before clenching onto the last spare inches just above the polearm’s impromptu end-spike. Pulled by his momentum around the circle, the ranseur came whistling up at near its maximum reach, aligning the honed-down spike on the backside of the weapon's head for a wicked blow to the knife-ear’s temple.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 14
7/22/2019 19:09:26   
superjars

The notes of the jungle spirit’s song trilled in anticipation of forthcoming conflict then hushed with the bond’s release. The air was punctuated by a metallic crash as a new connection was made. Ferrul barrelled forward at its master’s call with giddy anticipation, a feeling that poured over the shaman's form at its approach.

The final piece of her new weapon was almost in place when she slid to a stop, willing the orb of metal to reshape. A din of her own sounded out in response, masking the third alarm from her ears, as the sphere flowed into a long blade. The blade continued forward and split into two pieces moments before they curved away around her small form.

With a quick pull, she flexed the vines upwards and Ferrul attached to each of the thick protrusions, a melding of metal around fibrous lengths. She reversed their trajectory and smiled as they plummeted to the floor of the arena, the sound of metal against stone echoing in her ears. She could sense the anima's pleasure as the twin daggers bit into the ground, but when she drew them away, there was no sign of their passing.

Smile shifted to frown as she wondered what kind of magicks were present in this place. Such questions were not why the earthen creature had come here, however. The shaman scanned the remainder of the arena as the seemingly ever-present guillotine made its way a third time through her sight, pulling from her lungs a sharp intake of breath. A concern with the lack of warning on this occasion pushed from the edge of her mind, but she thrust it away, resolving that vigilance was the key to remaining safe.

A trio weaved a deadly dance farther to the west while another threesome held a soirèe to the north. With nary an invitation to either, the half-elemental released Ferrul to silence and rushed towards north and west, angling towards the confluence of the nearest twin ruby guides. A flick of her wrist and the two vined blades arced outwards to come from the east, aimed primarily for the legs of the crystalline creature before continuing on to the coin-bearer and his halberd-wielding assailant.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 15
7/22/2019 22:09:03   
draketh99
Purple Armadillo

White hot. Searing pain.

Jax narrowed his focus onto Bassareus, willing the strike into a rib cracking blow.

Tighten, accelerate, contact, follow thro-

But something wasn’t right. The twang of a bowstring, a bright flash of light. Danger. One. No, Two. Run, defend. Anything.

There wasn’t time. The first arrow struck Jax’s shoulder with a flash of silver light, leaving an impressive gash just above the bicep. There was a cold, worrying lack of sensation that came with it.
Was it poisoned? Perhaps to paralyze or disorient? Was there an anesthetic in whatever struck me?

The second arrow struck. It most certainly wasn’t. Bright, searing pain wrapped itself around his shoulder. Tendrils of warmth, quickly growing into scorching cords snaked their through his muscles, across his ribs, tightening his chest and pulling the air right from his lungs in a feral scream.

Fear gripped at the base of his skull, flashes of embarrassment to follow. Such a wound wouldn’t warrant such a scream, yet the previous arrow had left him off his guard, and was laced with as much fear and surprise as actual pain.

Jax bit down on his lip to reign back his focus, a small trickle of crimson now gently falling from his chin. He blinked away the blur from his eyes and returned his attention to Bassareus. In his lack of focus, the blow had gone wide and been easily deflected.

The spectral hand, though, had remained sitting at the showman’s side ever since the followthrough didn’t happen. Jax reached out, making a gripping motion with his hand and reconnected his will to the floating hand and pulling it over. The oversized digits wrapped halfway around the showman’s side, gripping down as he closed his hand into a fist, adrenaline and fear likely leaving the grip far more powerful than necessary.

Another feral cry leapt out from the boy’s lips. This time in summoning forth the effort to channel the fear and throbbing pain into something useful. Like chucking kindling into a pit, and sparking a fire with intensity of will and emotion alone. He channeled the fear, the frustration, the pain, the weight of years into this singular point.

That point began to glow. Though still a fledgling ember it glowed with the promise of more to come.

Jax clenched down harder, hoping to share some of that pain with Bassareus, only to be interrupted by the screeching of the arena’s warnings. An idea sparking into the boy’s mind, he launched the smaller hand at Bassareus as well, latching onto the man’s ankle, opposite to the side of the larger hand. Jax crossed his arms quickly in front of himself, firmly willing the two hands in opposite directions.

He knocked the showman’s feet out from under himself, using the larger hand to shove him backwards and to the ground, holding and pinning him to the floor in the way.

Jax took a step back, trying to keep his back from the surrounding chaos, while still exerting as much effort and will as he could to keep Bassareus pinned in the way of the gleaming blades.

"You know what it's like, don't you? Growing up in the shadow of that tower?"
DF  Post #: 16
7/22/2019 23:54:07   
Necro-Knight

Roth’s ears ached as the sirens blared again, or would’ve if he’d still had ears, but he felt a sense of pride already well into his spirit at his very first attack already finding its mark. The woman didn’t seem to take it as well as he would’ve thought, falling to a knee as the wind seemed to escape from her lungs, but the expression of almost amusement unsettled him more than anything.

She should’ve been worried, disoriented or even demoralized he’d struck such a blow so early, but she willed herself back to her feet and continued with her original objective, which seemed to be a slight adjustment from attacking the strange warrior across from her, to now sprinkling some form of currency around her and positioning herself in a way to defend from both sides.

She started off stupid, but she learns fast, never fun to have an enemy that does so.

As the pointed-ear woman adjusted her attention, the silver-haired brute she’d been focused on to begin with seemed to also disregard Roth with nothing more than another unpleasant stare. With a vivid sense of insult, the shadowbrawler wondered for a moment if he was going to be attacked with just angry looks and nothing more.

As the man moved towards the woman with a violence Roth hadn’t seen beyond some forms of wild beasts, he seemed wary of the silver circles scattered across the floor in a glinting mess, sending his long-shafted weapon in a precise attack towards the woman’s skull. The shadowboxer took a brief note of this; the man was violent and merciless. If his direction was changed for any reason, Roth would need to be ready to deal with a more aggressive foe.

As these thoughts passed through his crystal-guarded mind, his body had shifted back from the hook-like blow he’d thrown and sent his left shoulder twisting forward to extend his left arm. Power, as violent and unfeeling as the man seemed to be, rippled through his body and gathered along the sapphires that made up his arm. As the energy travelled, a violet glow followed before finally erupting from his knuckles with an audible crack of pressure being released.

The orb grew as it soared towards the ground between the two combatants across from him, its hissing shadows eager to cause mayhem wherever they could find purchase. If he got lucky, the orb's explosive impact with the floor would send both competitors to the ground as the cold darkness splashed free. What they did after this fact would need to be accommodated for, but Roth knew that a battlefield could change at such a rapid rate that a plan could extend only so far.

He felt the requisite mana drain away from his being after the void cross, a sharp clang that echoed through the arena drew his eyes to look over his extended left arm, towards a being he hadn’t noticed initially. The being seemed to be a botanist’s twisted idea of a woman garbed in heavy amounts of emerald cloth, accented with autumnal colors, hair appearing like she’d grown it from a pot and transplanted it to her being.

No shortage of monsters here after all, it seems.

While the shadowboxer regarded the strange creature, alarms rang in his mind as she snapped her wrist and a reaching vine of what seemed organic material and gleaming metal swept towards him at a low level, as if to cut him off at the knees.

His eyes would’ve widened at the sudden, unprovoked attack if he’d still had them, but his body reacted in a far more productive way as he bent his mechanical legs and kicked off the hard arena floor with as much might as his golem-like form would allow. The motion felt terribly awkward as the mana within his sapphire-riddled torso was scrambled without the solid grounding to hold them cohesive, but Roth understood when he had no other options as he brought his knees up to avoid the sweeping length of malice.

A sense of relief washed over him as his feet collided with the floor again and he watched the attack whip towards the competitors across from him. For the first time since his awakening in this body, Roth thanked the gods above for the strength it offered, but made another mental note to not get attached to it.

If I have my say, I’ll gladly sell you off for jewelry, body of mine.
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 17
7/23/2019 22:45:10   
  Chewy905

An uncertain arm lifted rough wood to meet cold ice, the showman’s strike slamming into her protection with a satisfying thud. The small shockwave created by the impact rushed up Nigh’s arm, reminding her of her misuse of the shield. Deflect. Don’t block. Like Maled taught me.

She reached around and removed the missle from its resting place within the wood. A cross, created with icy wings that mimicked her own. Her own church’s symbol, thrown against her as a cruel reminder of her shirked responsibilities.

Does he know? How could he possibly know? Am I recognized? No… if he knew me… he’d know why I’m here, and he would have acted differently on the lift. I’m doing this for them. For all of us! For everyone!

Nigh threw down her church’s symbol, its shattering reminding her too much of breaking bones. Fear and desperation crept into her voice as she spoke again in the performer’s, quieter now. “A dance? No. A dance is joyful. Mirthful. A dance is full of emotion and song. Two hearts, leading each other in a connection unlike any other.” Maled Con. The first night, they had danced.

A deep breath in.

A deep breath out.

The siren screamed once more, and once more Nigh’s gaze swept across the arena, hoping, praying that no one was destined for a screeching metal demise.

Her prayers fell on deaf ears.

The mage-boy, arcane hands at his command, had locked down the showman, pinning him to the ground directly in the path of the Lords’ executioners. His arms were crossed, his expression heavily focused on keeping his prey down.

No!

Her right hand spun in a circle, a glowing ring of light appearing in its wake. Quickly, frantically, her hand plunged in, withdrawing an arrow made of solid silver, sleek and deadly. Its tail met the string, and the two fell back with a tug of her hand. A release, and silver leapt, setting out to pierce the boys unprotected left hand. As it approached, Nigh saw the cursed silver was destined to meet its jarring end. Even having fired it herself, she winced, knowing that the boys pained screams before would seem like mere whispers in the coming noise.

I’m sorry. I won’t be able to mend this. The Lords will it so. But I prefer a broken bone to a shattered soul.
Post #: 18
7/24/2019 15:41:38   
Dragonknight315

As the mana crackled through her fingers, Morrigan’s gaze darted between the warrior and the golem, waiting to see who would strike next. Had she not been robbed of one eye, this wouldn’t have been so taxing, but the two assailants were just out of her vision’s reach. With her focus always shifting, she could only empower her spell so much. If she released it now, the shock would barely stun, far from the decisive blow she sought.

I need more time! I need more time!—

Such was the story of her life. Indeed, just as the mana began to burn in her hands, the jagged man made his move, growling like a beast as he bucked against the plate and charged forward. Time seemed to slow to a crawl as the sirens cried out for blood. Morrigan’s mind raced as the warrior drew closer. If Morrigan stepped to the left, it would only bring her closer to him, practically throwing herself on his edge. If she moved right, then it would expose her back to the golem; she could not afford to make that mistake again. That left only one option.

The blades—

Her legs tightened, her heart thrashing like a drum within her chest. A moment too soon, and she would be torn in half by the Lords’ will. Too late, and the warrior would have his day.

She waited for as long as she could when, as the jagged man reached the sea of coins, he twirled around with his polearm to deliver the strike with its full reach. At the last moment, Morrigan closed her eye as she pushed off of her feet, leaping backward towards the blades.

She felt a sudden breeze graze her as she moved through the air. A near miss, another day close to death — how they liked to keep Morrigan company.

As her feet touched the ground, an infernal snap pierced through the wailing of the Cellar on her right side. She opened her eye to find the crystalline menace at work. Shadows rippled down his shoulder as an orb of inky void hurled towards both of them. Morrigan cursed in her mother-tongue as she spun and dove away. As the orb struck the ground, it collapsed and then shattered with a wave of darkness, catching Morrigan’s feet in the detonation.

Fortunately, her maneuver had granted her some safety as she avoided a direct hit, but Morrigan could only move so far. As she collapsed on the ground, her back once again flared from the abuse. She moved her fingers; no charge. When she tried to move her legs, a new pain rippled through her skin. Below her ankles where the attack had marked her, a deathly chill had taken hold as if her own nerves were turned to ice. She hoped that the jagged man had suffered a worse fate, but if he hadn’t. . .

I have to do something!

Morrigan pressed her right hand against the ground as she twisted her torso, rolling over to her back. She gasped and swore as she hit the floor, her back once again erupting in torment. It was then the sound of metal grinding against metal rang through the air.

Something, anything!

She gritted her teeth as she gave one last heave before collapsing again, earning her another pulse of pain. Her strength was gone. She was left helpless as her body went numb. She swore that something had passed above her gaze, but she couldn’t make it out, not in this state.

Now, the cold in her ankles, the sting in her back — Suddenly, she couldn’t feel it. She couldn’t feel anything.

Is. . . Is this it?

“Is this it?”

The young scholar sighed as blood poured from her wounds. Up until now, this would have been the happiest day of her life.

The team had wondered if Wrenith was too deep into her cups when she had returned from her trip, shouting that she “had stumbled right into the bloody thing!” Even Morrigan had thought it was too good to be true. For over a decade, the scholar had made the subject of the Tele’mare her life's work. To many, it was a fairytale. She knew better.

People from the heavens that rode in chariots of stars. Angels that commanded the foundations of the world, knowing no pain, or hunger, or death.

At the academy, the subject was met with equal parts mockery and heresy. If another race of people existed beyond the chosen elect, then it would call into question everything. Indeed, whenever she brought up the Tele’mare, she was ignored or outright silenced. Even her own mother said that “she was showing too much of her father’s kind.”

But here she was, deep within the metallic shrine, pinned to the ground beneath a pile of metal sheets and broken glass. Embedded in the walls were frayed coils of multicolored rope, sparks flying from their torn ends. Fires roared through the complex, their smoke drowning out the blinking white light from the squares on the ceiling.

How could it all go so wrong?

Morrigan took another forced breath, coughing as the smoke entered her lungs. Her team was certainly dead, killed in the immediate explosion. All that was left was her, her and the blade.

She moved her head to her left side, her ear pressed against the bloodied ground. She couldn’t see anything out of her left eye, not that there was much to see with all the smoke. But as the light was fading from her other eye's reach, she could see its outlined, clutched in her unyielding grasp.

This blade would be her life’s achievement. The very thing she needed to prove it all.

This blade would be her end. When she removed it from the core, it was then that everything fell apart.

The pain in her chest and the burning in her left side began to fade away. Morrigan closed her eyes, wondering if she should have listened to her mother after all.

“NO!”

Her dying breath turned to her second wind as Morrigan pushed her left hand under her cloak, her fingers fumbling against the metal until she had found the hilt of her blade. She had gone to great lengths to hide the broadsword as best as she could. If the others had closed in, then they were in for one last surprise.

“I swear, I will kill all of you!”

With a roar, an aura of crackling light surrounded Morrigan as she reached out with her right hand and pulled on the ebon runeblade. It sheared through her own cloak as she held it forward in the air. The blade ignited with a flash of teal light, mana crackling around the spiral patterns as it came to life.

Morrigan could feel the energy swelling through her, mana burning through her veins, and she welcomed it. It was a warning to all who might oppose her. If the others fled from her blinding display, perhaps she could make a recovery. If they closed in — she would not die today, not alone anyway.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 19
7/25/2019 0:03:50   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

His foe hurled herself backward with a reckless courage that was almost admirable, evading the ranseur’s hungry spike, and - even more miraculously - the scything blade hurtling down the dead-line. For a moment, Sark Ynet almost thought it had caught her, but the knife-ear was lucky enough to witness death pass within a hairsbreadth of her person and yet leave her unscathed. So be it. The jagged man was more than pleased to see to the matter himself.

--You cannot hang one born to drown.--

Shifting his weight and planting a leg, Sark Ynet sapped his momentum and ceased his turn, the position leaving him well-situated to cast his mismatched gaze across the convergence of dead-lines, and to his opponents beyond.

The abomination, arm and torso twisting as it hurled a sphere of crackling dark.

The knife-ear, turning and diving, on the run.

The husk, wielding a vine like a bullwhip.

Snarling teeth bared, the wiry man choked up on the ranseur’s shaft, reversing and then throwing himself to the west in a backwards somersault as he sought to evade the strikes as well. In this he was successful, only to find that he had misjudged the construct’s assault. The plant-shaper's whip clove naught but empty air where once Sark Ynet had been, but the violet orb shattered upon the tile with explosive force. The concussive wave of its detonation crashed along his neck and right shoulder as he came down, and he heard as much as felt the shoulder dislocate.

Nauseous pain flashed through him, but he focused through the sensation. The soles of his boots scraped across the tile to blunt the slide while his umbral arm trailed black motes, clawing at the smooth floor. His polearm skittered away, dropped by his nerveless hand. In this, however, Sark Ynet had some luck of his own, for the weapon almost seemed to follow faithfully, tumbling after its master on his westward journey.

“Not one step back! Do you hear me, Rodekians? We’ve no Dragons here with us, but claws I see in plenty. Not one step back; let the dogs of Tarika taste our steel. Come what may, we hold this line!”

Weapon and wielder fetched up against the western wall and the jagged man let the momentum of his skid bring him to his feet. Rocking backward, his left hand came up to brace his right shoulder as he hurled himself against the wall, growling as he slammed the displaced limb roughly back into place using the unyielding stone of the Cellar’s perimeter.

This time the pain was oddly distant, not bright and hot as he had expected, and Sark Ynet finally noticed the pervasive chill along his shoulder and neck, where the blast had struck him. Some effect from the abomination’s sphere, no doubt. Well and good, the thing had a use after all, it seemed.

One booted foot snaked out, hooking the fallen ranseur, and with a deft jerk popped it up into his waiting shadow hand. The wiry man flexed his right arm slowly, working his fingers in and out of a fist as the knife-ear unsheathed a sparking blade and caterwauled her determination to the Cellar at large.

If she was so anxious, who was he to deny her? The unliving thing was still a threat, but now he knew its trick, and Sark Ynet would not be caught so unaware a second time. Perhaps the vined woman would keep it company. For himself, the jagged man had decided from the first strains of this dance to share Tarika’s anguish with the knife-ear.

He advanced, giving the ranseur a slow and testing twirl that sent its razor-sharp head spinning. Left to right, right to left, back again, showing no weakness for all that his right arm tingled and his neck was numb with cold. He would let the swordswoman set the tune, and then judge her steps himself.

Rissa always did love to dance. And had he not told her that once himself? Aye, somewhere in the haze. Before the Eye. Before the knife. He had told her that old sailor’s proverb: “you cannot hang a man born to drown.”

His smile was cold and cruel as he advanced. Nor deny a Dragon his desire.

And this one, he wanted.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 20
7/25/2019 17:40:28   
roseleaf320
Creative!

Choking. Squeezing. All he cared about was getting air.

The Angel’s soliloquy was foolish and unrealistic, but Bassareus didn’t have time to correct her. The hand previously deflected latched onto the noble’s waist, attempting to expel the hearty lunch Bassareus had eaten prior to the Championships. The two froze for but a moment, the grip continuing to tighten as Bassareus gasped for air, but the staredown was interrupted by a shrill warning which was growing all too familiar. Bassareus felt the moment when the spark went off in his opponent’s head, a tightening of the grip which indicated a brace for movement. As the second hand seized his leg, he turned it to ice and elongated it, hoping to force the man to lose his grip on the slippery surface. But the glowing hand held strong.

Bassareus’ mind raced as he was flung into the path of the blades, contemplating a thousand possible escapes in mere milliseconds. His icy leg was braced against the floor, ready to propel him upwards, to use the blade to slice through the suffocating grip, if he could just-

But the hands released.

Bassareus’ body rolled away from the path as the blade flew by. It made not a sound as it sliced his icy leg clean in half. If he hadn’t landed exactly in the right way… and what had even caused the release? Was the Angel interfering? If she hadn’t done anything... he still would’ve found a way out on his own. Of course.

Bassareus righted himself almost immediately, unfazed by the apparent booing of the crowd. Was that for him? His narrow escape from the Dancing Blades? But he had done nothing to deserve such anger. Everyone loved him! This sudden change of heart… it can’t be for him. That just wouldn’t make sense. There must be a delay in the viewing system, and the noise was just in reaction to the assassination attempt by the fist-focused child.

Yes, that must be it.

But of course, the Magical Bassareus did not let these thoughts puncture his mind, instead using his three-fingered hand (the other two still lying shattered on the floor by the Angel) to create an intricate trophy, featuring the inscription “You Tried” in large letters. Five seconds. That’s all I need. After that… well, Bassareus was ready for a spectacle. This ability was always his favorite. Gripping a handle with his remaining hand, he slid the trinket across the ground towards the boy. He strode with purpose, his first steps since the start of the Dance.

You really want to do this, boy? You have no idea who you’re dealing with.
Post #: 21
7/25/2019 18:20:26   
superjars

A jump, a fall, a misjudgment, and her vines were through. No wound marked their route nor blood stained the floor. A primal grunt escaped from deep within the shaman as she let her weapon's trajectory bring it back around. Shandrae fell silent as a familiar drumbeat resounded around her. The sands about her arm began to swirl with life once more, pulsing around and down to coalesce in her hand, packing densely together. Shield became projectile in the space of a few breaths. If no attacks were going to come her way, then she had no need of defense.

The coin-bearer raised their sword as she prepared her missile, beginning to glow with sparks of energy surrounding it. A being that controlled the very lightning?! What an incredible power! The half-elemental started for a few moments, vines hanging slack. The crackling of the woman's aura pulsed in the room, but a few harsh raps brought her attention back to the spirit in hand.

Shandrae launched the sphere with all her strength at the glowing figure, remembering how the spirit had protected her from many a stormy night, dissipating nature's elements before they could harm the earthen being. With the sand on its way, the drumming faltered to be replaced with the thrilling of vibrant notes.

The woman allowed the vines to slip from her hand, swirling around to float behind her as Xalia took its place. Sonorous melodies wafted around as the spirit shaped into a three-foot diameter, withy hoop. She rolled it to the left behind her, allowing it to gather up the vine so that the fibrous lengths wound about the outer surface.

The length that had originally wrapped about her arm was now tucked within a sleeve of wood along the inner edge of the circle. Positioned at opposite ends, the twin blades jutted from its surface, held in place by thin rings of flexible wood encircling the connections of fiber and steel.

The contraption completed its circuit, ending on the ground to the half-elemental's right. She reached down and picked it up, unsure how to best wield her new creation. With a glance left towards the white and black, she shifted focus to the crystalline foe, determined to utilize this unique weapon to the best of her ability.

< Message edited by superjars -- 7/25/2019 22:58:00 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 22
7/27/2019 0:02:07   
draketh99
Purple Armadillo

The room sat silent, awkwardly so. The floorboards creaked, seemingly only to attempt to break the sense of accounting anticipation and anxiety. The musty scent of burnt candle wax, old incense, contrasted by a sharp bite of ammonia all mixed and twirled throughout the room like a dance.

Silence…

Silence….

More silence…

And then it shattered, with all the force Diana could muster in that moment. “So why’d you do it?” she began. Her glance floated about the room, at the broken vials, at the alchemy kit in such recent disrepair, she forced herself to notice nearly everything in the room to grant Jax the space to speak. He didn’t.

“Damn it Jax! Tell me why you did it!” flew out of her mouth before she could stop the words- if she wanted to. Her fist met the wall hard enough to make the foundation groan and shake.

Jax’s shoulders clenched, he ducked low and retreated for a moment, instantly hating himself for that. Flinching was such a sign of weakness. He dropped his eyes to the floor, having already backed down, and let out a heavy breath. “I needed to become better… stronger. It’s been six months and I’ve made no progress whatsoever. I can’t have peaked, not yet, not now. Not when I have so far to go…”

Diana’s eyes softened a bit and her shoulders dropped. She caught a small gasp halfway before it could betray a lack of composure.

“Is...is this” she began. “Is this about the academy? I told you Jax, I’d help you study. I’d work with you on this! And you could always try again next year. You don’t have to get in this year, almost no one gets in at your age, anyway. You don’t even have to get in at all… We can make it by, even if you don’t… You don’t have to do this…”

A tingle or a spark ran down Jax’s back, forcing out a shiver. He slowly shook his head, keeping his eyes on the floor, murmuring the word “no” for a moment. He looked back up to meet her eyes, but his gaze only continued to the window behind her. “This isn’t about the academy anymore… I don’t think I’m going there anymore, either.” Diana opened her mouth to protest, but the words wouldn’t come out, not before he could continue. “I know I’m a failure of an arcanist, Diana. You know that, I know that. Near everyone in this city knows that now. “

Tears welled now upon both parties, each beginning to speak, then letting silence carry their intention straight away.

Jax looked up at her and continued. “Diana, I know you’re going to hate me for this… But I’m joining the Elemental Championships this year…”

String on wood, a creak before a twang.

Silver through air, a whistle of wind.

A sharp breath, impact shortly after.

The shock-wave seemed to shake the arena. The floorboards creaked and groaned like a morning arriving too early. Nearly just as loudly in Jax’s ears, a loud cracking.

Knuckle from knuckle. Shards and marrow from bone. Sinew from muscle, and muscle deformed. The mangled, shattered left hand fell to Jax’s side, dripping blood from traumatically rearranged flesh. There was the space for a single heartbeat. First one, then two. Jax’s pupils dilated to nearly the size of the iris. Three beats. Sweat began to creep over his skin as an icy cold sensation grew in the base of his spine, crawling up into his stomach like a frozen serpent trying to slither out his throat. Four beats. Jax’s pupils shrank to nearly the size of a pin. Five.

Jax screamed.

A feral scream that carried animalistic pain, it carried sheer horror, it carried fear. It carried blood.

Jax’s entire body shook, fighting full on convulsions as shock took over his every sense. The world slowed down around him, giving him time to realize that each and every single heartbeat was now excruciating. The world buzzed and blurred all about. The highest pitch ringing liberated his hearing away from him.

The world had gone cold around him, his body began to numb, numb enough to only now realize he was still screaming, sobbing. Nearly five seconds had passed, each one worse than the last.

That scream, the pain, the cold, sickening sense of horror all mixed and churned inside of him. They scraped each other, scratched and chipped like flint. And like flint, they sparked. They sparked and ignited that glow that had been set nearly moments ago. The fire caught and ignited every remote corner of his soul. The flames licked at his mind, tearing reason away, searing malice into his eyes.

Jax turned to his winged assaultant, that malice locking onto her, attempting to burn straight through her chest. Jax’s entire body swayed with imbalance as he drew out a six star summoning sigil in front of himself, his right hand compensating for the work that his limp left would be doing. He stuttered and mumbled out an incantation between small coughing spurts, expelling the blood from his throat.

Once the sixth point of the sigil began to glow, a large, arcane summoning gate opened in the air, several feet in front of and above Jax. Out of that gate apparated a gigantic spectral glowing hand. It was comparable to a large person in height and width, with each finger wider than a man’s leg.

The firestorm of Jax’s rage had quieted and focused into white hot embers, staying silent and locking his eyes upon Nigh’s. He reached his hand around to his left pouch and throwing two smoke bombs behind himself, trying to create some cover between himself and Bassareus, or at least drown him out.

Finally, Jax brought his right hand up, palm facing down, and swiping downwards like a cat pouncing upon its prey. As he did, the large hand shot upwards and outwards until it was nearly over Nigh, then swiping down in the same motion, trying to cut off any possibility of a vertical escape, and hoping to crush her under the force and weight.
DF  Post #: 23
7/27/2019 3:47:25   
Necro-Knight

The Void Cross proved far more effective than Roth had anticipated as both his objectives went tumbling in various directions, their injuries apparent even from this distance. Nothing had come off or been corrupted into dust like during the war, but these results were still favorable. As the mad-woman fought to get air into her lungs, he realized how much he had truly injured her with his attacks coming so frequently and with the initial ones robbing her of vital mobility. He tilted his gaze to the bestial man who seemed to seep with a shadowy substance very similar to his own, then back to the witch who was currently drawing some medieval weapon from beneath her cloak and unleashing a furious storm of raw energy about her form.

Roth didn’t understand much about his current predicament in this new body, but even without the brain to send the chemical response to high voltage being displayed so close, the shadowboxer took an involuntary step back from the woman.

You’re made of metal. If she sends even a spark of that your way, you’ll either die or be so ruined, you’ll never come out of this.

The fear that forced his feet slithered through his soul and settled in his stomach as he tucked his hands even tighter in front of his torso, mind racing. He was fast but not fast enough to move away from that kind of a torrent of power and his ward would never withstand it. That left the shadowboxer only one option. He needed to remove the threat before it could manifest entirely.

You weren’t fast enough to save them, but at least save yourself this time. You owe them that much.

Roth tightened his knuckles to the point he almost heard the servos in his fingers creak, when the woman spoke. The unbridled emotion hit him harder than any physical attack ever would and he suddenly was no longer made of metal and geode, but flesh and bone… and fear.

“I swear, I will kill all of you!”

The war-lich hissed in a voice that sounded like metal being torn and bent as it glared down upon Roth and his squad, long metallic talons clicking in an almost predatory fashion. They’d only moved a few dozen meters after Serana had shielded them from the war machine’s onslaught before the Lich descended upon them, apparently furious that anyone was still alive among his field of victory.

The abomination’s body was a mangled mess of rotten flesh, furiously violet wiring and rusted metal, ending in a engine-like torso that spit a foul-smelling smoke to keep it off the ground. Only one eye remained that could still show expression and it was fixated on the shadowboxer’s squad… or what remained of them.

They’d lost Torrense when he lept in front of a mana-grenade to make sure Serana’s guardians continued their tasks, and lost those two soldiers not long after to a precise long-ranged execution spell. Only three of his squad members remained and Roth currently stood between them and the amalgamation floating before them.

“You are but flesh and fuel that is so kind to walk into our grasp, therefore killing you is as simple as-!”

Whatever else the lich was going to spit through its bare teeth, Roth decided it wasn’t worth listening to and sent it reeling back from a swift shadow-jab that left his right fist smoking from the speed at which he released the spell.

“Simple that! Squad, stay with Serana while I distract the floating cadaver!”

The monster hissed and retaliated with a beam of hissing umbral energy that Roth ducked beneath, coming back up with a swift hook that carved through flesh and tubing across the lich’s form that sent fluids of many types spraying into the smoke-riddled air. He knew this fight was pointless; a lich of any strength was beyond the ability of even ten shadowboxers to bring down easily, and he was the only one assigned to his squad. True as that may have been, he also decided dying for said squad was worth the pain this twisted being could endure.

As he prepared another spell and gathered his will, two forms passed his vision and charged for the lich, who was recovering from the Reaper’s Hook. The last two whole members of his squad, a pair of brothers, rushed the war-lich and wrapped themselves around its arms, lashing at it’s forms with their sabers.

Roth wanted to cry out for them to return to safety, but it was far beyond too late. With a screech that sent the shadowboxer to his knees, the ruler of death lifted its long arms and unleashed a sickly green fire that consumed the two men in moments. The screams were brief as their souls were consumed as if in a furnace and their charred corpses tossed aside, adding to the sickening scents assaulting the senses.

“It is as I said… nothing but fuel and flesh and foolishness!”

Roth stared at the black husks of the two men he’d served with for years now. Always quick with a joke and even quicker with their blades, and they were taken away just as swiftly. Part of him wondered if it was some cosmic irony that they died the way they did, some sick and maddened Will that all things die in the most fitting way.

What of me then? What did I do to bring myself to die in this place, to this maddened soul?

These existential thoughts were interrupted as the lich wrapped its talons around his throat, their sharpened tips biting into his flesh and burning as he was hauled off his feet. Spots formed in his vision as the monster’s grip tightened, it’s voice low and sinister now.

“Your war here is over, little soldier... do share your last words, I rather enjoy the last fleeting moments of man.”

A long list of colorful words formed in his mind, but another sound met his ears before he could voice them. A voice, pure and clear, rang across the filthy wind and traveled with the rising and falling pitches of song. At the same time, the acrid smell of raw magic cut through the scent of rot and smoke as ley lines flared to life across the bloody mud beneath them, forming complex runes and circular patterns stretching a few hundred yards in all directions.

Roth suddenly realized the melodic voice belonged to Serana and the words were of the old language; a dead dialect that was only used for one type of magic. Sacrificial evocation. A war caster’s final act on the battlefield could choose to be invoking the old ways and use their soul as fuel for the most destructive holy spell known to mortal mages.

The shadowbrawler kicked at the lich and clawed at its talons with a panic-renewed spirit as he tried to twist around and see his last surviving squad member at the center of the growing rune circle. The lich must’ve been in shock that he was witnessing a mortal wielding a magic of such power, because Roth managed to get enough air to scream out for her to cease such a sacrifice for him. He was a failed leader, he didn’t deserve such a selfless sacrifice.

His screams were lost as her voice rose octave after octave, showing no signs of the pain that must’ve been wracking her body as she sung her soul out in the form of beautiful and terrible destruction. Roth, his eyes stinging with tears and smoke, turned back to the lich to try and kick himself to freedom when he noticed something hanging loosely from the undead’s chest. A crystal, a few inches in length, dangled from a cord that must’ve been cut when the brothers tried their pointless attempt to kill the thing.

Realization hit him as he remembered the point of the crystals. Lich’s used them as a form of container for what remained of their soul and will, locking themselves away until they could be recovered by their brethren and restored. If Roth did nothing, this one would do the same and Serana’s song would be for nothing.

His body moved without thinking as the undead monstrosity flung him away, preparing to flee from the spell as much as possible, and Roth caught the crystal in his fist. His near-death grip and the force at which the war-lich had thrown him back towards Serana tore the soul gem loose and he landed with a thud next to his squad mate. Her body was now glowing a brilliant white-blue and her voice was interlaced with many others, male and female, as the ritual reached its peak. Meanwhile, the lich roared and lunged for the two, not wishing to have its immortal existence cut short by such insects.

“Serana, sweetheart… I always wanted to say you should’ve been a performer. Man you’ve got a good voice.”

Roth hoped she heard his words. It was something he’d always wanted to say, but never found the opportunity with their busy lives and now seemed a good of time as any. The undead’s leap neared the shadowboxer and Roth didn’t hesitate. He fueled his muscles with rage and pain and sadness as he stabbed the soul gem into his chest, directly over his heart and felt his body immediately go cold as his soul drained into the small geode.

The last thing he saw as his vision faded was a column of brilliant light forming as the rune finally completed formation and he hoped with his lingering sparks of consciousness that they’d win this war.

For Serana.

The memory left as instantly as it came and though he had no muscles in which to feel the rage and agony that the recollection had brought with it, he quaked with it all the same. The woman still sat across from him, her storm-like aura almost dancing in its eagerness to destroy.

You would, wouldn’t you? Kill like that lich. You’d do it and wouldn’t feel a thing besides sick satisfaction… Not again.

“Not again!”

He roared and kicked off his back foot, taking a pair of quick steps towards the woman to adjust and bring himself within range for his right hand to snap out and punch across his chest, the hook spawning a Reaper’s Crescent that raced towards the woman… no, the hideous villain crackling before him.

While normally the pure violet and onyx hue of his other spells, this Hook flared to a bloody, violent crimson as it curved and sliced at the appropriate level to meet the woman’s windpipe. Nothing else mattered beyond ending this threat to humanity, this living creature that took delight in the suffering of others.

For Serana.
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 24
7/27/2019 12:10:30   
  Chewy905

The boy’s pained scream carried to her very soul, crying out in fear and horror. Memories clawed at the side of her mind, tempting her to indulge on a sip of her past. Screams of family and friends joined the boy’s. Snaps of broken bone echoing through her conscience. Mangled bodies. Crushed skulls. A village of corpses. Her father, putting earplugs into her ears to try to spare her from the abominable sounds. It had failed. She had stepped out. Confronted the invaders. Her voice had soothed the tortured and softened the torturers. They had knelt. Worshipped. She had brought peace to all. And peace brought the time for wounds to close. But it couldn’t bring the dead back. Proper burials were all that could be done for the departed.

But here, she could do nothing at all. The boy’s scream continued, pain and rage now joining as one. She had no voice with which to soothe him. No gold with which to mend his broken body and instead of breaking alongside it; his spirit had bent, flared, and ignited.

She stumbled back, terrified of what she had done. You were supposed to bow. To surrender and save yourself from more pain. I offered you a way out.

He turned to her. She wilted under his gaze, the pure intensity burning into her very soul. He stumbled and swayed as his unbroken hand rose and arced through the air, drawing an intricate pattern. A hand appeared. Massive, dwarfing the ones he had used earlier, standing just above the height of the boy.

Nigh’s body refused to move. She had done too much too fast. The bursts of speed. The flight. The focus of firing her arrows. The adrenaline that had filled her when the blades first followed their paths was leaving her body, leaving fatigue in her muscles and fear in her mind.

The screams had stopped, leaving only silence. The boy's eyes, their intensity never wavering, locked with Nigh’s. Either he didn’t notice the fear she displayed, or didn’t care. His hand shot out, and the arcane mirrored it.

move.

His rose, and the arcane rose.

Move!

His fell. And the arcane followed.

MOVE!

Her wings flapped, one final burst of desperate adrenaline surging through her. She shot diagonally, hoping to move around to block herself behind the showman, to force the boys red-hot gaze to settle elsewhere before her own soul fell victim to the flames.

She was too slow.

Pain. White hot, shooting into her back and up her legs like a lightning bolt. Her body caught in the air, and she tumbled down, hitting the stone floor hard. The pain continued, a crushing weight flashing through her as her vision blurred with tears. Her body convulsed. She opened her mouth to scream, to match the pitch the boy had created.

As always, her voice died in her throat.

She looked back. Her wings were under the hand, shattered bones bent in random, jigsawed directions. Anywhere else, she’d be able to fix them, though it would be slow. But not here. Nothing could be done here. Nothing could ever be done here.

Her legs were trapped as well. The weight increased. A golden glow surrounded them, protecting them from the gravity of the arcane hand. Her legs may not have broken, but her mind didn’t know that. More pain. She could feel the shards of decimated bone digging into her flesh and tearing apart her skin. She was so sure it was there. Another scream died before it could leave her lips. Cold sweat dripped down her.

She blinked back tears, trying to see past the blurred world that filled her vision. She was only able to make out one, singular thing;

The blood red line that crossed the cellar floor, seeming to kiss the open wound on her neck as they met.
Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> =EC 2019= Cellar Arena
Page 1 of 212>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition