Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =DF= September 13th Design Notes: Maleurous: Part II and Chaosweaver Testing

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: =DF= September 13th Design Notes: Maleurous: Part II and Chaosweaver Testing
Page 5 of 7«<34567>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
9/16/2019 19:45:02   
Hanthome

Honestly, I REALLY love the new ChaosWeaver (both the design and the new version put up today). My only complaint is the following : can we not handle the weapon in "reverse" (the shap end pointing towards the back) when in combat ? I hate looking like a ninja/weeb. I wanna be a soul-manipulating, evil, badass character like Vaal that fights without a fighting stance because he's just that damn cool, not some kind of tryhard weeb. That's literally my only nitpick with this. Other from that, I just LOVE it !
DF AQW  Post #: 101
9/16/2019 19:45:48   
Chaosweaver Amon
Friendly!

I have to agree with @JIKIL. Rebuke being unable to crit seems a little pointless, especially considering it's a "last-ditch effort" kind of skill. I also think a more consistent 3-turn stun ability would be more useful than Soul Rip's current AoE single skill or 3 turn single opponent. Maybe a single turn AoE stun for unempowered, 2 or 3 turns when empowered? Or, rather than mess with than, simply make obliterate a 2-3 turn stun. Just so there's some more consistency.

Otherwise, I'm still enjoying it's offensive capabilities, and its aesthetic beauty.

And the fact that a class that I've been excited about since the introduction of Chaosweavers is here!
DF  Post #: 102
9/16/2019 20:59:38   
OpprobriousPinecones

You know that Vaal wields Transcendence in a reverse grip, right, Hanthome?
Post #: 103
9/16/2019 23:18:44   
Tr4pD00r

I was about to go into more about why I didnt like Chaosweaver's Soul Gambit today, but this rework changed the landscape for me. While I think 8 whole turns of -200 All is still excessive, having the empowered Soul Gambit allowing you to move again does make it more flexible and gets me thinking throughout all stages of the battle whether or not I can use Soul Gambit, not only toward the end the fight just as a finisher. And Im still thinking very carefully, since 8 turns is a very long time to put such a crippling debuff on yourself especially against powerful unstunnable bosses with already hard hitting attacks.

The class's empowered attacks only provide a miniscule boost in power. Vengeance with an extra -10 All isnt much to write home about, I generally withhold from using this skill until my soul threads have been put to better use elsewhere, or I avoid using the skill altogether.

Empowered Soul Rip is only an improvement vs a single enemy and shouldnt have to waste a thread if its used as a multi stun, it shouldve been perfect as it was before as a serviceable 3 turn stun spread across all enemies without being affected by empowerment. Or it should empower the multi stun too.

Id also like to revisit Obliterate. I noticed the empowered Obliterate which wasnt mentioned on the design notes, the description reads 'a guaranteed stun' which it still stuns for 1 turn and it gives the opponent -50 bonus on the turn they recover. A guaranteed stun bypassing immobility resist despite being only for 1 turn has its uses here and there, but I cant help but feel Obliterate still be a bit more than it is right now. The animation is so satisfying and its like youre literally snapping their soul (that snap sound too!)... It looks more like the kind of final attack unlocked at the end of a skill combo like Soulweaver's Pierce-Valor-Retribution. Like after you slice into their soul (Soul Slice), whip them up with a tornado (Vengeance/Soul Assault), send a thousand evil butterflies after them (Aggression) etc their soul becomes damaged and weak enough you use Obliterate to finish the combo with a snap. It would just be really satisfying to pull off. I wouldnt mind Obliterate being strengthened by being locked as part of a skill combo or having an initial cooldown at the start of battle (so I can use it like that after weve roughed up the enemy with our other skills a few times).

Reworked Rebuke is good, I like it. Theres something quite satisfying and smug about being able to laugh at your opponent at low hp just when the enemy thinks they have an edge. Hahahahaha! Please let my laughter crit my enemies.

Initially I didnt like Chaosweaver that much, the old Rebuke mechanics and Soul Gambit wasnt for me. But as you can tell Im surely warming up to the vibe of Chaosweaver. In the end its the animations and every aspect of its visual appeal that won me over... And to be honest Ill be damned if such a beautiful class gets undermined due to issues pertaining to its ingame combat effectiveness.
Post #: 104
9/16/2019 23:24:13   
Axpower

Chaosweaver is a piece of art. Haven't had so much fun playing in years! While I do agree that Rebuke should be allowed to crit and the multi stun should just be reverted, I really, really love the empowered mechanic.

Another amazing job Verly!
DF  Post #: 105
9/17/2019 2:24:03   
dragon_master

I think the current iteration of CW is the best one so far. Tested it on several AARGH fights, got murdered on many of them, but most of the skills are now decent. Rebuke still feels like it's a last resort skill of sorts. No need for it to crit imo, otherwise it can get some ridiculous damage going, which surpasses that of revamped DmK.

I Would totally buy it just for the animation and sound of Obliterate.
Also, it would be nice if we could get some class fitting accessories.

Please keep CW this way.
DF  Post #: 106
9/17/2019 4:15:04   
Loewe

I am hating the new Chaosweaver so far. The return of the soulthreads, along with the crit removal from rebuke and dmg nerf on every skill made the class all but useless against everything that has over 10,000 health that deals even moderate amounts of damage.

Soulthreads limits your options to such a degree it's not even funny. Vengence and Obliterate might as well not exist since you will want to use all of your soulthreads on Aegis, Gambit and Rip. Also, the insane cooldowns on the skills that gives you Soulthreads turns the class into a worse Riftwalker, basically "kill this guy in 10 turns or lose" except riftwalker isn't in danger of getting randomly oneshot during any point of the battle. Also, the fact that we have to use a Soulthread for even a basic 3 turn stun is completely unacceptable. It makes the already extremely limited ways of playing around Gambit even worse. Vengence is just insult to injury. -10 All debuff that becomes -20 when you use the most important defensive resource in the class? Give me a break. Obliterate is equally useless. No matter how unstoppable a 1 turn stun might be, all it's going to do is give you time for you to write your will during the battle before your opponent runs you through with his sword next turn. 2 turn -50 bonus doesn't make it any better either. Consider this, MSW has a 2 turn -100 bonus skill that also doubles as an execute on a 4 turn cooldown AND it doesn't have to give up any important resources for it. However, to give credit where credit is due, Gambit and Aegis's empowered versions are really nice and fit the theme of the class, even though I still think the thread mechanic as a whole just limits the class.

Even at the edge of death, the dmg Rebuke deals is laughable. The highest I managed to get was around 3 hits of 800 dmg (with Gambit and without any external buffs)(keep in mind that Gambit TRIPLES your dmg) so it's not worth the risk of dying at any second like Assault was. I don't understand the reasoning behind removing crit from a skill that is supposed to be very high risk high reward.

Then we have Gambit. I love the idea behind this skill however it seems to effect the design of the class very badly. All other skills constantly get nerfed so that Gambit's dmg stays moderate, which is something I don't get. This skill is SUPPOSED to deal extremely high dmg because it's drawback is probably the worst drawback out of any skill in the game. An 8 turn -200 All is a death sentence no matter how you look at it. The moment your Aegis runs out, you are dead, no matter how much health you regained using Siphon. I have actually seen a very nice suggestion about this in this thread. Lowering the turns the debuff stays from 8 to 4, but giving it -200 M/P/M and -100 M/P/D, not only making it so that you WILL get punished when you use Gambit, but also removing any Aegis, Baby chimera or dragon exploits that turn the class into something it isn't. Debuff being lowered to 4 turns means that it can actually be played around rather than trying to kill your opponent in 3 turns or dying.

Finally, the complete lack of proper offensive skills except Rebuke and Untangle on what is supposed to be an offensive class is very confusing. Since every other skill has had their dmg numbers gutted, only the skills that are geared specifically towards dealing dmg can actually do anything. But Untangle has a 20 turn cooldown and using Rebuke and dealing anything that can be considered "high damage" means you are probably going to die next turn.

The worst part about all of this is that the previous version of Chaosweaver showed a lot of promise, but was a bit rough around the edges. Considering how many amazing suggestions this thread had about improving it, and how much the people loved it, I am surprised the focus wasn't at impoving that version of the class, rather than this complete overhaul that all but killed the class.
Post #: 107
9/17/2019 4:19:00   
Edorath

has the walking cycle been fixed?
AQ AQW  Post #: 108
9/17/2019 9:10:07   
Hanthome

@OpprobiousPinecones Now that you mention it, it's true that he does, but what changes is the way he does it. He just reverse-grip handles it and rests it on the ground, as if Transcendence was immensely heavy, and did not care to lift it because he really doesn't need to. He's just that cool. Same things goes for Vaal in the Murky Halls quest : he just rests it on the ground like he doesn't care when he waks. That's what I like about Vaal : his attitude, and I wish we could simulate that, instead of trying to be a tryhard, hardcore ninja like SoulWeaver seems to be oriented towards in its stance.
DF AQW  Post #: 109
9/17/2019 9:25:38   
EdyMaster

OK, first this version of CW is certainly a thousand times better than the others. The simple change in Gambit made a total difference in the class mechanics and made her much more comfortable. Still there are minor flaws here and there, such as the lack of skills that recover soulthreads, where we depend on only two with a high cd. Also, incredibly the class needs more damage, we only have one nuke skill (Untangle) with high cooldown, and one very conditional semi nuke (Rebuke). About the skills in more detail:

Soul Assault
: The damage is good, the recover soulthreads ability is very good, but the cooldown is too high. Even if we had another way to recover soulthreads the cd would still be high, and even considering Hexing Wheel.
Obliterate: Guaranteed 1-turn stun and applying -50 bonus is really great, but having to use soulthread for that doesn't pay. If CW has its soulthreads limit raised and more skills that recover it would be fine, otherwise I think it is better to remove the cost of soulthreads and keep the attributes.
Aggression: 200% damage and + 50% DoT is ok, but I think the duration of DoT should be longer as you can't apply DoT (thus gaining DEX bonus damage) and then accumulate all damage buffs in class (Soul Slice, Vengeance and Gambit) and then use your nuke. The effect of either of them would be expired by now. Even if they reduce DoT damage, the duration should be increased by at least two or three turns.
Hexing Wheel: It's very good the way it is.
Soul Slice: Damage is good and so is effect, but suffers from the same defect as Aggression where the duration should be longer to fit the class combo. One or two more turns would be great.
Soul Gambit: The most controversial skill now I think is at a good level. Still I would want a little more power in it, maybe add a crit bonus (not as much as 200) and put an MPM / BPD penalty. This would make the skill more suited to the class passive (if you can call it that) and cut off some of its potential counter play.
Soul Aegis: Perfect. If you want a bigger defense, you have to pay the price of a soulthread.
Soul Siphon: I didn't like her very much at first, but now I understand the purpose. Although it has a very specific use has the potential to recover all your HP if combined with Gambit and a target with negative resistances. Just using Gambit is not enough to take your HP from 1 to Max, maybe halfway, which is ok.
Dominance: A very regular multiple targets, but the damage could be 200% considering that there are three CD turns and that CW would be an extremely offensive class.
Soul Rip: The effect when empowered should be the default skill, it is not worth spending a soulthread for this currently, but if CW had a higher limit of southreads and more ways to recover them would be fine.
Vengeance: Unattractive to tell the truth. It would be much more interesting if the effect were -20 all standard and -40 all empowered, at least to be considered good.
Soul Shred: Standard and boring skill. It is also redundant as it is a much less interesting finishing skill than Rebuke. It could have another more important feature, such as the ability to recover a soulthreadas, as it is solely dependent on Soul Assault and Untangle for now.
Rebuke: A million times better than previous versions, but the critical hit disability is too heavy for a skill that should be used as a last breath. Chaosweaver live on the edge of the cliff, play with death and laugh at it, so just let the skill cause a critical hit to reflect it. Or better yet, adjust the damage to be ALWAYS critical, even if the total damage is less than normal as this also prevents the skill from being a broken potential if combined with Red Fruit. Make Rebuke a viable nuke in the same style as Untangle, but only more powerful with your missing HP percent. They can even drastically increase cooldown, as this is a finishing skill it makes no sense to have such a low cooldown and little firepower.
Untangle: OK, 300% damage and 900% damage in conjunction with Gambit (and recover a soulthread). It is still little if we consider that the old BSW was able to do 1000% in 1 turn and only 7 turn cd. Decrease cooldown so we can make better use of soulthread recover.

< Message edited by EdyMaster -- 9/17/2019 9:39:17 >
DF  Post #: 110
9/17/2019 9:47:31   
Conadetrion

I like the concept of Chaoseweaving. And the art is great. The animation for movement is a huge downer for me though. He blinks too much and it seems better to have that red flash behind my character rather he become it. Also I don't know how soulthread collecting works. Its like one move give me a thread and the rest are attacks. The stun doesn't always happen either. The animation for the attacks is great and I love the combos but its the other two issues I mentioned earlier that make me feel more or less neutral about this class.
DF MQ  Post #: 111
9/17/2019 9:49:37   
JIKIL

@Hanthome Are you trying to say that CW should lean towards the epitome of smug arrogance? I'd like that :D

Do you guys also happen to think that the DoT abilities should be in some way, affected with the use of Soul Gambit?

< Message edited by JIKIL -- 9/17/2019 9:54:27 >
AQW  Post #: 112
9/17/2019 9:58:59   
EdyMaster

I was here thinking of another possibility that we could recover soulthreads, would be as the enemy dies. It would look something like this: when CW attacks a target with 65% HP left, it will regain a soulthread (as if extracting from the enemy) and then one more when attacking a target with 30% or less HP and that would be limited only twice per battle (to avoid exploits using multi-target battles). And it wouldn't be possible to gain two soulthreads at once if the CW deals more than 65% HP damage in one turn. I think it is an interesting mechanic that would favor a more aggressive style of playing with Chaosweaver as well as complementing the current difficulty of recovering soulthreads.
DF  Post #: 113
9/17/2019 12:10:48   
Kurtz96

quote:

I like the concept of Chaoseweaving. And the art is great. The animation for movement is a huge downer for me though. He blinks too much and it seems better to have that red flash behind my character rather he become it. Also I don't know how soulthread collecting works. Its like one move give me a thread and the rest are attacks. The stun doesn't always happen either. The animation for the attacks is great and I love the combos but its the other two issues I mentioned earlier that make me feel more or less neutral about this class.

All this info is on the design threads. Soul Assault and Untangle recover a soul thread and some other classes gain an additional effect when you use soul threads and other don't involve soul threads at all.

And stuns don't always happen because the enemies have stun resistance. Obliterate will bypass stun resist to guarantee a stun when empowered by a soul thread.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 114
9/17/2019 15:38:39   
TFS
Helpful!

I'm mostly comfortable with this version of Chaosweaver; while the old guard DC classes are still in no danger of being dethroned, ChW is still very viable/usable with the proper setup. Have a few issues with it though as far as skill changes go.

I don't think Vengeance really needs to eat a Soulthread; -10 All on its own generally isn't going to be worth the cast turn (use Stan! Or your dragon!) and the standard burst -> stall rotation you can now do with empowered Aegis/Obliterate is really, really thirsty for that one extra Soulthread during the stall phase following expiration of Gambit's buffs and persistence of its debuff. The class would benefit a fair bit from Vengeance not having normal/empowered versions and just always inflicting -20 All imo.

Not really sure why the new version of Rebuke can't crit; it seems to be capped at around 430% total damage anyway, and that's if you only have 1HP remaining. Unless there's something silly like % of enemy HP in the calculation that I wasn't aware of, I'm not really sure why the -crit is a thing. Chaosweaver already struggles (and fails) to meet the casual damage output of its predecessors at the cost of its defenses, removing the -crit from Rebuke would certainly help with that imo.

In fact, now that it's on my mind, I'd like to take this opportunity to compare the damage of a DC class intended to be a glass cannon and compare it to that of one of its defensively oriented predecessors. If we ignore the reigning king (Kathool Adept) and just compare Chaosweaver to its doomed counterpart (Entropy), even in its one-time burst phase ChW can barely match the damage output Entropy reliably has while maintaining its monumental defenses. Let's pretend that Entropy's damage output is limited to temporary burst (like ChW's) and is not at all consistent, and compare its favored spammable skill to Chaosweaver's strongest skill with complete setup.

Chaosweaver: 300% damage on Untangle, x 1.85 for Chaosweaver's Crit modifier and Untangle's autocrit, x 3 for Gambit's (very, very risky!) 200 Boost, x 1.2 for an empowered Vengeance. The theoretical number intended only for comparison that this leaves us with is 1,998.
Entropy: 414% damage on Rotting Touch (assuming you are level 40 or higher), x 1.375 for the 1.75 crit modifier and the assumption that a Level 90 player crits 50% of the time, x 1.7 for Blood Womb's (which not only has 50% uptime, it also gives you +70 MPM!) 70 Boost, x 1.6 for the loopable res debuffs offered by Infection and Fever Spit. The theoretical number intended only for comparison that this leaves us with is 1,549.

These numbers are fine and dandy, but for people who don't have excessive amounts of free time what do they mean? It means that a huge attack that Chaosweaver can only pull off once at the expense of 200 All resist offers a mere 25% damage increase over an attack that Entropy uses every 5 turns while maintaining a 50% uptime on its MPM shield, at no defensive penalty. A tank class that uses its own 2/3 MPM shield while attacking is more offensively potent than a glass cannon that anywhere from triples (3x at 0 All from gear) to octuples (8x at 69 All from gear) its own damage intake in order to attack.
Am I saying that this means Chaosweaver is offensively worse than Entropy in every situation? Of course not, Chaosweaver can use this big attack on the second turn of a fight (first if you don't Vengeance) while Entropy needs four turns of setup before it can start spamming this huge attack, Chaosweaver is clearly better at clearing out mooks.
Am I saying that looking at these specific attacks in a vacuum definitively characterizes both of these classes? Of course not, there are other considerations like mana costs and hit counts that have to be taken into account, you of course can't look at a few skills in a vacuum and make judgements based on that (Of course, this is pure rhetoric, for the specific case of ChW vs Entropy I've given Chaosweaver every benefit of the doubt and compared both classes to the one thing Chaosweaver is good at; Entropy is good at far more things than just pure damage while ChW is good at nothing else).
Am I saying that Chaosweaver needs to be as strong as Entropy? Of course not, Entropy is one of the most powerful classes in the game and it would be ridiculous to think that every single class should be on the same power level. This is also somewhat cherry-picked, of course, I wouldn't expect every DC class to be as good as Entropy (or Kathool Adept), Chaosweaver is certainly better than stuff like GPS and Ascended Chickencow.
Wasn't I saying Rebuke was too strong the other day? It was, and that was because of degenerate accessory setup that had nothing to do with playing the class as intended.
What am I saying, then? Comparing Chaosweaver's damage output to DC classes that aren't glass cannons should probably lead one to conclude that I'm not unjustified in thinking Chaosweaver should be a bit less "glass" and a bit more "cannon." Ergo, Rebuke shouldn't really have the -crit imo.

Rip is also very awkward imo. I don't think an already hyperoffensive class needs to have a good stun, of course, but the Soulthread toggle makes it inconvenient to use against multiple mooks and implausible to use against tougher bosses. Small nitpick.

Uh, that post was a lot longer than I intended it to be when I started. Not trying to trashtalk Chaosweaver and it probably came off like I was, like I said earlier it's still viable and fun to use. Just trying to illustrate the power difference between ChW and some of its fellow DC classes. Of course, this is still a test version after all, for all I know the final version will have damage scaling or something crazy. Again, that's what testing is for, to make sure the final version is as good as it can be!
DF  Post #: 115
9/17/2019 16:51:44   
OpprobriousPinecones

@Hanthome
It's strange how you're saying CW is "trying to be a tryhard"; a "tryhard" is somebody who attempts to make up for a lack of skill by, as the name suggests, trying excessively hard and posturing, but that's not what we're doing as a Chaosweaver. We're holding our weapon the way we are not because we lack skill and we're trying to compensate for it, but because we, presumably, have found a way to utilize holding our weapon in a reverse grip in a way that meshes effectively with our Spirit Loom in combat. It's clearly a valid technique, or else we wouldn't be utilizing it; calling CW "tryhard" because it holds its weapon is a way that clearly works and is effective for them (and what with the fact that we're seen doing what Vaal can do and more) is ridiculous; at most, we're being slightly theatrical, which is entirely different from being a "tryhard".

< Message edited by OpprobriousPinecones -- 10/1/2019 6:41:20 >
Post #: 116
9/17/2019 18:35:32   
Axpower

Reading @TFS's critique and retrying enTropy, have to say I definitely see his point. CW has good DPT in short-medium fights, but under performs in longer fights compared to enTropy and KA.

Since CW is supposed to be a hyper glass cannon, maybe some damage buffs are in order while keeping survivability low....
DF  Post #: 117
9/17/2019 19:51:33   
The_element

Chaosweaver is pretty busted tbf, really degenerate when combined with some cheese. Vengeance has really nice synergy with Ice Scythe, the fact that it does 19 hits means you're likely to get the on-hit special to proc. This means that Vengeance is effectively -20 All and -30 Ice. This is even better when you consider the fact that Bk3 Aegis, not only gives you a free shield, but also gives a -20 Ice debuff. Nice.

I think somebody mentioned this rotation on the discord

Player: Gambit --> Vengeance (show ice scythe) --> Chi bomb --> Untangle --> Soul Slice
Dragon: Overcharge --> Tail lash/Tickles --> Scales
Bk3 Aegis: Shield --> Domain --> Attack --> Attack

Weapon: Soulforged (ice)+ show Ice scythe

I have used the above rotations and have consistently managed to get 5k+ damage from chi bomb and have been able to plough through A.A.R.G.H. This was also without using the rest of the dairy products like baby chimera and zardburgers. Also managed to beat ancient duo on my first attempt. I've said this once, but I'm going to say it again, as far I’m concerned there are 2 ways to use Chaosweaver:

a) Without cheese: Use the skills naturally, and then finally use gambit as a finisher towards the end. Probably suboptimal for inn.
b) With cheese: Immediately use gambit and use shenanigans to completely avoid getting hit, then blow up the boss with your wombo-combos. Will be busted and be meta, certainly against single target bosses. Vulnerable to indirect nerfs

Also, ChW is pretty crazy good at farming gold and exp

Gold farming at Ninja Arena: Gambit ---> Rip (if necessary) --> Dominance
Exp farming at Voltabolts: Gambit --> Untangle

Also soul shred seems out of place in this class, but I understand that it's thematic with weavers and such. The changes to NSTB still pretty much make it unusable, it would probably haven been okay to let it keep its original effect duration and cooldown, but have it self inflict a -100 boost for 1 or 2 turns on the player.
Post #: 118
9/17/2019 20:44:03   
TFS
Helpful!

^So you're saying that Chaosweaver itself is "busted" because you combined it with two guest skills, three dragon skills, a weapon special, and a trinket - no fewer than seven accessory skills that can be used with any class?

quote:

The changes to NSTB still pretty much make it unusable, it would probably haven been okay to let it keep its original effect duration and cooldown, but have it self inflict a -100 boost for 1

you don't do any damage when you use it lol

< Message edited by TFS -- 9/17/2019 20:45:16 >
DF  Post #: 119
9/17/2019 21:13:07   
The_element

Not all classes benefit equally from that cheese though, in the case of chaosweaver, it does become completely busted when combined with dairy products. The cheese removes all risk to gambit and means you can kill many bosses in the inn with a single volley of gambit- this is busted.

quote:

you don't do any damage when you use it lol

I was obviously talking about the turns after it was used, so a self inflicted -100 boost for 1 or 2 turns on the player would affect the next 1 or 2 turns. Sorry for the confusion I caused you. With pre-nerf NSTB it meant that you did 0% dmg 1/6 of the time, with these changes it would mean that you do either 0% dmg 1/3 or 1/2 of the time.
Post #: 120
9/17/2019 21:36:10   
TFS
Helpful!

That's an understandable stance to have, but would you also argue that classes like Dragonwarrior or Ascendant are "busted," then? They have a damage output comparable to or greater than Chaosweaver's and can also avoid damage using all of the accessory skills you've listed. Or what about classes like Kathool Adept, Epoch, and Entropy that can consistently unleash similar amounts of damage while also being able to defend themselves without the use of accessory skills? Would you argue that these classes are overpowered as well?
Being usable or viable does not mean something is overpowered - in fact, if you need to rely on seven accessory skills in order to make something viable, many would argue that that's an instead a basis for a case to be made for it being underpowered. For something to be overpowered, it has to be significantly more powerful than all or most alternatives (which is demonstratably not the case with Chaosweaver) or completely trivialize the gameplay (which again is probably not the case if you're using seven accessory skills in addition to most or all of Chaosweaver's kit to find inconsistent success in several situations). I'm not saying Chaosweaver is an unusable or unviable class, of course, but I do personally think that it's silly to say Chaosweaver itself is overpowered when by your own admission your success with it is dependant entirely on the conjuction of many guests/pets/food/trinkets/etc.

< Message edited by TFS -- 9/17/2019 21:37:53 >
DF  Post #: 121
9/17/2019 22:19:21   
Sakurai the Cursed

First of all, let me say that I really like this class and the way it plays; like others have said, the playstyle of living on the knife's edge, almost killing yourself to enhance your damage just to heal back up and repeat the process is really fresh and engaging. The class is beautiful, fun and the huge numbers are very satisfying.

That being said, I do think it still needs some tweaks; to take TFS' point about the class' offense a step further, while CW certainly has the highest first-turn burst of any class atm (not that you actually need close to 2,000% damage on turn 1 for anything, RDL's ~735% is generally more than enough while being faster too), its average damage over time is lower than any other offensive class in the game, while also having much higher risk than any of them. I don't agree with Loewe's post overall, but they're certainly right that anything which has more than a few thousand health is going to give CW a ton of trouble without using Chi Bomb.

To put it into perspective, Ascendant for example has a 5-turn rotation that can be repeated indefinitely and does ~750% damage per turn on average (assuming 50 Str/250 Int and 50% crit rate on an enemy with no resists), and can easily include defensive options since 1 turn is undetermined or can be raised to ~940% if no defensive skill is needed; CW on the other hand can do ~1,200% damage in 5 turns with Aegis used (because let's be real, you're not surviving all 5 turns without it unless you stack pet/guest shields, but for comparison it'd be ~1,340% damage at best without Aegis), at the cost of taking ~7x the damage and being unable to do much further damage for the next 3 turns. And even once Gambit is available again, all the big damage moves are on CD now so the best you can do is ~800% that time around. These numbers seem favorable for CW but when you consider that 1) you've died some time before achieving them and 2) Asc can do the same damage again every 5 turns while CW's damage is very low half the time, Asc ends up ahead in terms of actual average damage; 750+% per turn indefinitely compared to (very rough estimate) ~690% per turn for CW considering the very high and low swings of damage averaged together. Hell, Asc could do its no-defense 940% dpt indefinitely (so about 40% higher damage overall) and still survive much longer than CW. And Asc isn't even the top class offensively, it's like #4 or 5; 690% average dpt is bordering on mediocre, and I don't think the large frontloaded burst is enough to make up for this with the utterly insane risk involved.

I don't know entirely what it needs; much lower CDs on the big moves seems essential imo to properly take advantage of its burst windows, but I don't know if that'd be enough by itself (even if that 2nd Gambit were the full 1,200% again instead of 800%, it'd still only be a little over 800% average damage, still below the offensive classes while taking more than 10x the damage overall thanks to no shield/proper blind). Maybe Soulthread boosts added to more skills (like allowing Rebuke to crit, lengthening the DoT on Aggression, increasing the heal from Soul Siphon so it can be used outside of Gambit, etc.) while increasing the cap and having more skills add them, if I were to spitball something. But regardless of the exact method, I think that the riskiest class in the game by orders of magnitude should be solidly #1 offensively, or at the very least not middle-of-the-pack; insane-risk/decent-reward just doesn't feel great when there are low-risk/high-reward classes out there.

Aside from actual efficacy, I agree that Vengeance should either get a bigger debuff when empowered or should have no Soulthread usage and just be -20 baseline, as you would never actually want to blow a thread on another -10 unless you're fighting Seppy or something. Another great QoL change would be to allow us to choose whether to use Soulthreads or not, so as not to waste them on Rip in a multi fight for example, or just to allow a skill to be used for its base effects when you need the thread for something else later on.

< Message edited by Sakurai the Cursed -- 9/17/2019 22:23:49 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 122
9/17/2019 23:31:49   
Kurtz96

I second a way to choose if we want to use soul threads or not. And the thing about vengeance not being very useful. I find it is worth going for only to proc the ice scythe to get basically -50 ice.
Chaosweaver is definitely not overpowered. The again I play a lot of DmK so nothing seems overpowered to me.

@Sakurai
What are the 5 classes that beat Ascendant? I know of DmK, RDL, Kathool. What else? Cause I find that I regularly outpace riftwalker and BSW.

< Message edited by Kurtz96 -- 9/17/2019 23:36:49 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 123
9/17/2019 23:44:59   
The_element

I also said this

quote:

I've said this once, but I'm going to say it again, as far I’m concerned there are 2 ways to use Chaosweaver:

a) Without cheese: Use the skills naturally, and then finally use gambit as a finisher towards the end. Probably suboptimal for inn.
b) With cheese: Immediately use gambit and use shenanigans to completely avoid getting hit, then blow up the boss with your wombo-combos. Will be busted and be meta, certainly against single target bosses. Vulnerable to indirect nerfs

ChW is busted when using cheese, but probably suboptimal when not. With cheese you can remove all risk from gambit and the damage is so high, you can kill many bosses in the inn with a single volley of gambit. Also your damage comparison with other classes isn't strictly correct, because it doesn't take into for stuff like chi bomb (does 5k+ dmg on Chw), proc on-hit effects due to skills with high number of hits (Ice Scythe proc from vengeance), showing different weapons at different intervals (showing Lucky Hammer during Untangle), swapping gear, GT chi bomb with fedora blade, etc. With these kind of shenanigans I've managed to beat a lot A.A.R.G.H bosses in just 4 turns all while I was completely protected.
Post #: 124
9/17/2019 23:56:25   
Sakurai the Cursed

quote:

What are the 5 classes that beat Ascendant? I know of DmK, RDL, Kathool. What else? Cause I find that I regularly outpace riftwalker and BSW.

I said Asc is #4 or 5, so that's 3 or 4 classes that beat it. Though, it could be 5 if you count DmK v1, I just don't. Anyway, Eternal Epoch, Archivist, Ranger and DragonWarrior beat Asc in maximum DPT, but DW can't actually pull off its max damage a lot of the time due to the risk involved so I said #4 or 5 instead of just #5.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 125
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: =DF= September 13th Design Notes: Maleurous: Part II and Chaosweaver Testing
Page 5 of 7«<34567>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition