Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=WPC 2020= Hellfire Battlefield

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> =WPC 2020= Hellfire Battlefield
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1/26/2020 0:09:05   
  Starflame13

How do you name the place in-between? The dead metropolis that serves the living, where ancient and new are one and the same, where Good is interchangeable with Evil, and where black bleeds into white?

What awaits a lone traveller in the Chequered City?

Streets paved in smooth stones of ebon and ivory twisted in a maze of countless paths. Dead ends, dizzying turns, numerous doors and alleyways - all served to disorient those who suddenly found themselves adrift and far from their home. From the tallest spires of the palaces, to the squashed hovels of the slums, not a single imperfection marred the gleaming facade of the Chequered City. Automatons, ageless creations showing neither wrinkles nor rust, glided silently about sharp corners of buildings and around smooth edges of courtyards. At first glance they appeared faceless, emotionless. Upon a second look… hauntingly familiar. Food, rest, equipment, all forms of needs and desires they offered to the strangers in their midst. Or at least, to those destined to partake in the coming War.

For the travellers never remained in the City long. Some found themselves before gates that opened only at their touch. Others were drawn from the path by whispers or shadows. Still others simply vanished, with no trace left behind. No peaceful respite, no warm reception, no welcoming place for them to return to and rest.

For where else do Pawns belong, but on the Battlefield?

Darkness. Sight, sound, all swallowed by a black so deep it smothered vision and hung heavy in the air. It pressed in, unyielding. Tightening its hold until it drowned out all else. No wind, no warmth. No one left.

And then the realms shifted, twisting upon themselves. They shuddered, collapsed... and formed anew.

The rusty scent of iron, of blood spilled across untold ages. A pool of pale red against hardened black earth, a crimson spotlight in which appeared the Pawns, freed from their shadowy prison. The light illuminated them for but a moment before retreating, fleeing to return to the blood-moon hanging in the vast starless sky above. A moon that gave no comforting glow, alone in a sky that left those under it stranded far from home.

Screams of terror, of panic, of agony - screams of those dying in battle echoed across the empty land. With a rush of heat and the roar of an uncaring inferno, walls of flame sprang to life and filled the battlefield with dancing light and shadow. Rings of fire swirled about, tracing patterns through the air and along the ground. Yet they burned without smoke. Nothing was left for them to burn, save for the fighters now trapped within its grasp.

The cacaophy of despair quieted, though it never fully faded. Over the manic cries howled a single voice, and the fire crackled in time to the roughened words that thundered across the earth, drilling into the minds of those present. “You stand upon the Hellfire Battlefield. No Good can save you, no Evil can claim you. Prove yourself worthy, Pawns, or die to the flames like all who came before!”
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 1
1/27/2020 19:44:27   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

Like many days - especially of late - the day had begun with a fight.

If only it had been the Theos she was fighting.

“We’ve been over this plan sixteen times, Damascus. It’s perfect. It’ll work, and I don’t want to hear it again.” The young woman stalked along the edges of the tent, her movements constrained by the planning table that dominated its center, and the lanky man seated at its head, scrutinizing the map which lay atop it. The pacer was likewise slender, with raven dark hair bound in a ponytail that reached to the small of her back, and a pair of oddly mismatched eyes. Those orbs - one blue and one green - roved the heavy canvas of the pavilion’s walls, searching restlessly for something - searching for a way out. Her hands, quick and darting as little birds, smoothed along the sash of red silk bound over her waist; it was a rather distinctive accessory, and new in comparison to the faded blue of her arming jacket and the dingy no-color of the pants tucked into her battered boots.

Her companion sighed, recognizing the gesture and doing his best to ignore it. He ran a hand through his own short-trimmed locks, black as the woman’s above a face even younger than hers. She was hardly cognizant of her own motion, that furtive check of the cloth-wrapped stones about her waist, but the man knew it well. He had seen it countless times and appreciated the tell for what it was. After all, the two had grown up together, and he was well aware by now of what his sister looked like when she was spoiling for a fight. Scrubbing at his face with a hand, he leaned back in the camp chair, carefully settling both palms on the gouged and dinted table surface, and even more consciously resisting the urge to let his blue eyes track his sibling’s path. “Three times, Ebriva. In the last week. This is important. We have to pre-”

“Prepare for every eventuality.” The woman interjected woodenly, stopping mid-turn and cutting her gaze over to her brother. His own outfit was little better off than hers: leather armor with more than its fair share of tale-telling scars, a helm with a notched visor that rested on the table nearby, a fresh wooden shield awaiting painting that was clipped to a longsword in its worn sheath. Her teeth closed on her lip as she sucked in a sharp breath, clamping off the words that had been about to come flooding out next. Their father’s hair had been wheat blonde, and his eyes had been mismatched - Ebriva had gotten that strange quirk from him - but sometimes Damascus looked so much like the man that seeing her brother was like a knife in the young woman’s guts. “I,” she stammered, forcing her thoughts away from that pain, “I g-get it. I get it. It’s just… I can’t…”

Damascus stood, eyes slanting to the tent flap a moment before returning to his sister. “Ebriva, I need you, okay? We need you. We need you to focus. The timing has to be perfect or else-”

“Stop. Just… Stop.” She lifted her hands, pushing against the empty air in front of her in helpless frustration, as if the gesture itself could deny his words. “I can’t do this now. I need to… I have to…”

“Have to… what, Ebriva? We need to be in position in two hours. Now isn’t the time to go gallivanting off in search of-”

“Don’t,” the young woman bristled, slashing a hand through the air to interrupt Damascus’ words. “Please, just… don’t.”

“You’re a Stormcaller, Ebriva.” His voice wavered a moment as his own grief welled up. “The… the only Stormcaller since mom… since mom…”

“Don’t put this on me. Don’t you dare put this on me!” She snapped, jabbing a finger at the table and its map. “The Theos did this. I didn’t ask for… for any of it. I did not ask to be a ‘hero’.” Her throat burned from the venom of that word, falling like bile from her lips. “They killed them, both of them. And I will see every last one of them charred to cinders for it. Do you understand me?”

Damascus held very still, struggling with his own desire to agree. “We’re better than that.”

“Are we?” Ebriva’s hands curled into fists, impacting the table as she leaned towards her brother, eyes sparking. “Better yet, do we have to be?”

He looked away. “Yes, we do..”

“That’s what dad said. And they put a knife in his back.”

Wood groaned in protest as the young man slammed a hand against it. “Do you think I don’t remember that? I was there, Ebriva! I watched those zealots carve their verses into our mother’s skin! I would kill them, every one, and each more painfully than the last. But it. Is. Not. The. Way.”

“The way. The way?” She thundered, seething as the words tumbled out one after another, a torrent of fury bearing her along. “And who gets to decide what the way is, with the continent soaked in blood, the Crown lost, and for all we know another egg waiting to hatch?”

Damascus looked up at his sister, cold and steady in the face of her wrath. “Cerrai would have told us if there was another egg.”

“Cerrai,” the Stormcaller scoffed, “Cerrai hasn’t said a word since mother died. Nor Grathim, nor Vestes, nor any of them. Don’t trouble me with gods, little brother. The Theos have given me more than enough of that, thank you.”

“Your powers are a gift from-”

“A gift?” Ebriva laughed, the sound harsh and trenchant. “Yes, some gift. Isn’t that what got them killed in the end, Damascus? A disagreement over gifts?”

“You… Sol, you don’t mean that.”

“Don’t call me that. We agreed, before we started down this road.” The young man shifted slightly, starting to take a step, to close the distance between them. His hand lifted and he started to say… something. The Stormcaller stopped him with her eyes. “No. No, Damascus.”

“It’s your na-”

“Not anymore!” She flared, the air around her crackling with snapping static. “Don’t you get it? Nothing has changed. Nothing!” Ebriva swept a hand over the table, a furious motion encompassing not just it, but the little camp that was nestled beyond the canvas walls. “We. Are. Losing. We are desperate, and we are failing.” She turned, snatching her staff from the stand near the tent flap. “I can’t do this.” The Stormcaller stopped, somehow, just at the exit of the pavilion, chest heaving as she fought to slow her hammering heart, to breathe through the impossible blockage of memory and heartache in her throat. “I… I’ll be back.”

And then she was gone.

Damascus sank back into his chair, leaning forward and bracing his head in his hands. Blue eyes stared down at the map before him, marked as it was with meticulous notes and lines detailing the movements of the caravan, the mountain pass, the raid plan. He saw none of it.

All he could see was the frightened gaze of a furious little girl, and a sky boiling black with an impending storm. “I… I’m sorry, Sol.”

It was cold when she woke.

Ebriva came to with a gasp, thrashing wildly up to her knees, head whipping left and right in search of threats. But there was nothing, only silent stones in contrast, dark and light.

Drawing in deep breaths and letting them slowly out, the Stormcaller tried to gather her wits. She remembered leaving the tent, storming out into the camp, and then… nothing.

No, not nothing, and not the collection of tents in their sheltered forest glade. Ebriva had stepped out of the tent… and into a void.

A void? Her mind pawed at the idea, returning a welter of confused impressions. Sunshine. Shadow. Incredible pressure. Falling. Wind whispering over open fields. Cold. The scent of lightning folded through raindrops. Grit. Fire crackling and spitting. Laughter, mad laughter.

And behind it all a slow and measured ticking.

“My head…” She muttered woozily, making the mistake of giving it a shake in an attempt to clear her mind. That produced a flash of pain far more real than… whatever she was remembering. One hand rose, fingers lightly probing, drawing a wince as they encountered the tender, swelling line of what would no doubt be a lovely bruise. That was definitely real. Ebriva searched blindly for her staff, letting her eyes continue to roam the surrounding area until at last her questing digits curled around the metal rod and she used it to lever herself to her feet.

“Where… what..?” The Stormcaller was in some manner of street, hemmed in by the facades of what must be buildings, but they were all of stone. Each structure, so far as she could tell, was graven from a single massive crag - dark or light - fit as snugly in its place as the flags making up the road. Doors had been carved into the rock, complete with hinges, knobs, and keyholes. But it took only a moment of consideration to see the falsehood for what it was. The hollows where a key might be inserted were just that, holes with no inner gearing, and a quick check revealed the hinges were nothing more than shapes chiseled out of the surrounding stone.

The windows, hewn with latches and sashes - even shutters - of their own, were just as false. Ebriva reached out, lightly touching the “pane” of the casement before her. Her fingertips traced along delicately etched lines, marveling a moment at how long it must have taken to accomplish just this bit of relief-carved illusion. It seemed she was staring into a dining room whose table was set for a fancy dinner that would never be served. There were plates, serving spoons, a soup tureen. And this… this was just one window. Half a dozen other buildings nearby had windows of their own, some more than one. A swift glance up revealed shop signs, faux tiles and shingles, even a fantastic replication of a thatched roof.

It was astonishing. The attention to detail, the time it must have taken. And… why? What was it all for?

That question was disturbing in a way she could not quite articulate. Turning from the window - and blaming the shiver coursing through her limbs on the chill in the air - the young woman looked for… anything really. A person. A dog. A carpet. Something that wasn’t more of the brooding monochromatic perfection around her. But there was nothing. Everything was discouragingly precise, as if this “city” was just one massive display, like the front window of a store. One with a particularly prim and proper clientele.

“Gloomy, wouldn't you say?”

Ebriva gasped, spinning, ozone stench searing the air as her staff hummed through a rising strike rife with crackling lightning. The bolt left the tip of the metal rod, splashing against a nearby slab carved to mimic a farrier’s shop. Thunder boomed, echoes and reechoes chasing each other down the reverberant lanes, fading slowly away. But there was no one there. Only a black, sooty splotch on the once pristine white of the marble building. “Who’s there?”

“Do you not know?”

The voice was behind her again, and the Stormcaller whirled, her weapon whistling its sharp-toned song as it flew. But there was no one there. Darting glances left and right, the young woman edged slowly down the street. She had no idea where she was going, but right now she had no desire to remain where she was. “Show yourself.”

“You don’t recognize me.” It was a man’s voice, smooth, calm. There was something else to it though, something… resonant, distantly remembered, and flavored with the faintest hint of disappointment. “It has not been so very long as all that, So-”

Thunder snarled overhead as she slammed the butt of her rod against the ebon flag at her feet. “That is not my name!”

“But it could be again.”

Ebriva twisted, rod humming through scything, useless arcs as she turned and turned, trying to locate the speaker. “Who are you? Answer me!”

But there was no one there. Only the voice at her back. “I am the one between, child.”

Nearly howling in fury she pivoted again, to find that where before there had been a maze of streets, enigmatic “buildings” nestled each in their places, now there was a plaza. At its center was a circular platform, and on that low footing… a statue. A finger of gelid fear traced its way down her spine; the Stormcaller moved forward reluctantly over the paving stones - laid here in unrelieved dark pavers that contrasted the alabaster display at the square’s heart.

The style was almost abstract in its simplicity: A man garbed in a cleric’s robes stood, his shoulders broad, his bearing proud, with strength writ into every line of him. Before him he held a sword, straight as justice, sharp as truth, and his expression - such as it was rendered - conveyed some mixture of resolve and sadness. In his hand the blade was angled - just so - to slip beneath the chin of a woman kneeling before him, resting in the tender hollow of her throat. She was clothed in fragments, in scraps, huddled in defeat, and yet her face, turned up to meet the gaze of the man above, was filled with jealousy, anger, and the subtlest tint of fear.

It was called Triumph, or the Rise of the Grand Theogenist. But on the streets it had other names. They called it Retribution, and Earlon's Verse. There was another epithet though, one that she knew very well. After all, Menlo Pre, self-proclaimed greatest Indaraan sculptor of his age, had hurled it at her, just before she had blasted him through the wall of the workshop where he had carved it.

"The Fall of the Sea-Witch," she whispered. Ebriva stared at the statue, hands clenched with white-knuckle intensity around the metal rod as she struggled to draw breath. For an instant she was there again, a child watching the man who called himself Kenal's Hammer as he drove five handspans of sharpened steel through her mother's neck. There was a pressure in her chest, and - without entirely willing it - the Stormcaller stepped forward, as if to mount the platform. For a moment she was frozen that way, caught in an instant of indecision, her foot just above the surface of the pale dais, ears filled with the sound of distant thunder.

But it was only for a second.

The young woman stepped up, and the weapon in her hands whistled, crashing against the underside of Earlon’s alabaster arm. There was no hesitation now as Ebriva pivoted, turning and smashing her staff down into the statue’s leg, and then whirling to hammer it across the back. Distantly, the Stormcaller was aware that she was screaming, a banshee’s shriek of incandescent hate as she rained blows down upon the unresisting stone. Cracks spiderwebbed across the sculpted Theogenist; chips whickered off in the hum of her stave’s flight, growing under the young woman’s onslaught until chunks of pale stone bashed away from the abhorrent memorial.

She felt the shock through her body as she fell to her knees, heaving for breath, choking on sobs. “It isn’t fair.” Her weapon rang to the footing below, clattering away as the Stormcaller clenched one hand into a fist, beating it against the unyielding stone with bruising intensity. “It isn’t right!” Tears tracked down her cheeks as she shuddered, rocking back and hugging herself tightly, trying and failing to regain some semblance of control. “He’s… He… He is a monster. A beast! She didn’t… We didn’t…”

There was no answer, not even from the voice - whoever it had been - that had spoken before. Ebriva wept alone, like so many times before, and when at last she had shed all the tears she had she felt… empty, hollow, brittle, as if her bones were made of glass. It was not a new sensation, and she focused on her breathing; taking slow, deep breaths, the Stormcaller held them for several seconds before releasing them. Let it flow. Let it ebb. Let it flow. Let it ebb…

Time seemed to mean little in this place, but long or short, the young woman managed, eventually, to calm herself.

Letting out a last sigh, she reached out and lifted her rod, rising and turning back towards the sculpture. Mismatched eyes went wide and she hissed in dismay, finding the formerly desecrated work to be whole, as pristine as when she had first seen it. Ebriva’s gaze darted from her staff, to the statue, and back again, but both were utterly devoid of mark or sign of damage. She might have imagined the entire episode, but for the dull ache of exertion in her shoulders and arms, and the faint throbbing bruise along the side of her right hand.

Shuddering, the Stormcaller stepped back, off the platform. Shaking her head she turned resolutely away from the sculpture, letting her eyes scan the strange horizon of this unsettling place.

There, far in the distance, two towers - one ivory, one onyx - rose over this… this Chequered City. Ebriva took another deep breath and squared her shoulders. It was as good a place to start as any.

She had been walking for hours.

That was what it felt like, anyway. Turning down silent streets, cutting across empty squares, trudging along deserted boulevards, trying to reach the twin spires she could still see in the distance. But it was like a dream, walking and walking through an unchanging landscape - and getting nowhere. “An incredibly boring dream,” the Stormcaller groused to herself, pausing a moment to rub a hand over her face wearily.

Her eyes opened to the twilight.

The change was so abrupt the young woman flinched, looking around in confusion. A moment ago - less - it had been day. Now the light was dwindling rapidly away. Already the stone buildings around her had lost their hard edges; their obsessive detail work was obscured by the swift-encroaching night. Faint and fading, she could just make out the peaks of her tower guides as utter darkness seemed to settle over her in a smothering blanket.

“You must prepare.”

Ebriva’s head snapped left, mismatched orbs straining to make out the source of the voice. It was the same one she had heard before; she was certain of that much. “Who are you? What’s going on here?” It took perhaps half a second of silence in reply for her frustration to boil over. “Tell me!”

“Prepare, daughter of Asa.”

The Stormcaller inhaled sharply, fighting an instant of wrenching pain. “You… You knew my mother?”

“There is no time left for questions.”

He seemed so sure that she blindly reached down to brush at her left hip, feeling silk beneath her fingertips. A trio of stones, bound in crimson, hummed there. Swiftly, precisely, her hand moved to another triplet - inert where they lay across her stomach - and then to a third set bound along her right hip in similar stillness. Enough to defend herself with, if the voice in the shadow was right about-

The small hairs along her arms prickled, rising to attention. Chills chased each other along her skin, raising gooseflesh in their wake, and suddenly, Ebriva was very ready to believe her unseen advisor. She closed her eyes, pushing away the feeling of impending peril and focusing on breathing, on finding the quiet center where - if she was lucky - she could still hear her mother’s voice.

“There is the now. Nothing more, and nothing less. Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow is not promised. Breathe, flow, and let the sky flow through you.”

At her right side the onyx chunks began to hum, a faint vibration felt through the swaddling cloth. The young woman opened her eyes, opened her mouth, but in the instant before she could speak the void swallowed her up.

In her absence, the thoroughfare was as silent and still as it had ever been, but for the faintest feeling of presence, and the quiet sigh of something unseen.

“Now we will see if you do or die, Asa’s daughter…”

She was suffocating in darkness.

It was in her eyes, stuffing up her ears, pressing against her skin, gagging her voice. Unrelieved, uncaring, unabated, the stygian nothingness crushed her. Until, apparently tired of toying with her, it cast her out again.

Ebriva staggered, leaning on her rod for support as feet that had moments ago reported there was nothing at all supporting them quite suddenly informed her of the presence of ground.

She coughed, gagging as her nose related that though there had been no scent, now the earth was rank with old, stale blood and the stench of burning.

The Stormcaller winced, narrowing her eyes as they complained of the light, dim though it was, that slashed at them after the total blackness.

Her skin shivered, rippling as heat bloomed across it, for seconds ago there had been only cold emptiness.

Though if any of her had the right to truly complain it was her ears, which were assaulted by a cacophony of screams after the stifling silence. Agony, fury, desperation, fear, hate. Where else but on the battlefield could you find such a mixture?

Over the hue and cry rose a final voice, deep, authoritative voice, one that would not be ignored.

“Pawns..?” Ebriva turned, touching a hand to her chest reflexively as she cast the spell. The strength of earth flowed through her, radiating out into the tired fabric of her arming jacket. For a time the enhancement would give her more protection, a thing that might be necessary given the shocking presence - and proximity - of the motley assortment she saw around the circle close by.

“You want us… to fight?” She almost whispered the question, shifting the grip of her left hand on the staff so the weapon slanted across her body defensively. Her right hand touched the sash over her hip, confirming the right-side trio were silent again.

Whetting her lips, the Stormcaller let her gaze flash around the group, realizing the problem swiftly.

If this was a fight, then she was already at a disadvantage.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 2
1/27/2020 22:29:51   
ChaosRipjaw
How We Roll Winner
Jun15

Day: Unknown. Presumed 3.

Caeos Essence sat at the bar of a tavern, idly tilting his bowl of what looked like rice wine, but the contents of which were still unknown.

Where am I?

The answer: He was in the Chequered City, or so he was told by the inhabitants.

Where is this place?

This was a far trickier question. In his many long years as the Grand Master Chao'sri'p'jaw of the Disciples of Crizox, he had not seen nor even heard of this place, the Chequered City. When he first arrived in this city by unknown means, he had watched the sky and listened to the earth in order to determine his location.

The answer: He was no longer in his own world. No matter how long he listened, the earth did not speak to him nor did the sky tell him anything useful. The stars at first glance, seemed rather mundane but with his long experience, he knew.

This was not a part of the normal universe.

Caeos turned in his seat, a tall stool, taking in his surroundings. He was in a sparse but tastefully decorated tavern, dimly lit to provide a relaxing atmosphere. This was a civilized tavern, and the type one would expect many guests. As it was, the tavern was empty save for him and---

I am not alone.

"Will you be having anything else today, sir?"
Caeos turned back to the bar. Behind the bar was a shapely woman wearing a simple apron and uniform of a bartender. Or so it seemed.

"Tell me, bartender," Caeos said, "what day is it today?"
"That I cannot say," she answered pleasantly.
"Where am I?"
"You are now a resident of the Chequered City."
"Why am I here?"
"That I cannot say."
"What is your name?"
"That I cannot say."
This was a conversation that had repeated itself over the past several days Caeos had been in the City. The bartender was polite, but would not answer any of his questions.
"What is this?" Caeos asked, gesturing toward his bowl.
She tilted her head in a perfect imitation of bemusement. "I believe that is your drink of rice wine, sir."
"Rice wine," Caeos repeated. He looked back at the bowl, then looked at the bartender again. "Where did you get this wine?"
"It is the highest quality rice wine from our tavern's storeroom," she answered in the same pleasant tone.
"When was it made?"
"That I cannot say."
"From whom was this bought?"
"That I cannot say."
Caeos gave her a hard stare. She did not flinch. She did not react in any way, in fact, other than continue to smile pleasantly.
"Then," he said, "please bring me a bowl of salted peanuts."
"Right away sir," she said immediately, and retreated into the back room. Caeos watched her leave, and reflected.

Caeos could not remember how he had arrived into this city in the first place. By comparison, all his memories from before were in stark clarity. Caeos remembered clearly his departure from the Northern Mountains, leaving behind the True Disciples in the hands of the Third Master, while he went off on a journey fueled by only some faint intuition.

As far as he could tell, he had been in the Chequered City for several days. Of course, "day" was a relative term; the night and day cycles in the City did not make much sense, and seemed to be adjusting themselves to mock his futile attempts to get a firm grasp of the passing of time or the latitude and longitude of the city.

One of his first acts was to scale the great spires scattered about the city. His findings only served to befuddle him further rather than enlighten the situation. The City was of limited size, but somehow he could not describe what lay at the boundaries, no matter how carefully he observed the horizon. Furthermore, no matter how he tried to make his way to the city's boundaries, the distance never increased nor decreased, and finally he was forced to abandon this venture.

Caeos had considered the possibility that the city was a mind construct or an illusion. None of his typical techniques for breaking illusions had any effect. Not that they mattered; Caeos could not sense any mana lines or otherwise crisscrossing the city as would otherwise have resulted from an illusion.

This was hardly the most disturbing part of the City. Caeos was immediately aware of the City's unnatural perfection, which ranged from both the great palaces worthy of kings to the slums of the beggars. The winding passages made it difficult to keep his sense of direction, prompting him to navigate using the rooftops instead.

Most disturbing of all though, were the inhabitants of the City. Caeos was taken aback when the first resident walked past him in the street. He had sensed no life in the city upon arrival. And continued to sense no life even as he began to walk past throngs of people.

The entire city was populated by automatons.

Although outwardly Caeos betrayed nothing, it was unnerving watching the automatons . . . watch him. Close observation revealed that the automatons were as unnatural as the city --- no wrinkles or scratches marring their perfect skin and clothes. The methods with which they were powered and moved remained unknown to him.

It could be worse, Caeos mused, drinking deeply from his bowl of rice wine. They could be hostile.

The conclusion: He was in unfamiliar territory, but without enemies. For now, he could rest.

Day: Presumed 4.

The unnamed tavern at which Caeos made his temporary residence attended to all his needs, of which he had few. Caeos would spend an hour or two over rice wine and some food, and the rest of the day he would stand on the roof of the tavern, watching the cycles of the sun and moon. Or what looked like the sun and moon. This was where he was standing now. Thinking. Or rather, deciding.

The subtle approach had not worked. It was time to try something drastic.

Caeos drew in a deep breath and closed his eyes. When he opened them, he felt the familiar power surge through him, the neigong, the physical inner energy that served as the foundation of the Malevolent Aura coursing through his body. He looked down the street and concentrated on a nearby building. Then he slammed his palm on to the roof hard. The Malevolent Aura expanded, his qi flowing through the tavern and into the ground. Caeos waited in anticipation as the qi would proceed to tear apart the terrain and remold it, flattening everything into a wasteland---

The Malevolent Aura faltered. Caeos's eyes widened slightly. Nothing had happened. Perplexed, he stretched out his senses. Yes, the qi had touched the earth. But somehow, the land did not respond. The Land Reforming Skill could not affect the ground under the city.
Possible, Caeos thought, letting the Aura fade and straightening again. But it is best not to make assumptions.

His bandaged left hand dropped and gripped the handle of the sheathed Sliiker of Crizox, which hung on his left side. He turned and focused on a nearby sculpture, one of the few that adorned the roof of the unnamed tavern.
Again, Caeos breathed deeply and the Malevolent Aura pulsed. Without opening his eyes, in one fluid motion, he drew the Sliiker. With a wet splurk, the Sliiker lashed out. The strike was so powerful that the bloody poison cloud that covered the blade trailed behind it in an inky red afterimage.
The Sliiker cut cleanly through the sculpture's head, with the head dropping into the street below with a crash. In the same fluid motion, Caeos slipped the Sliiker back into the mummified body which comprised the sheath.

Caeos looked curiously at the decapitated sculpture. A sword strike can damage, yet the Land Reforming Skill cannot. Curious.
No sooner had he completed this thought, in the next blink of an eye the sculpture had already reformed. Surprised, Caeos looked down onto the street. There was no trace of damage or debris. Indeed, it was as though his actions had been undone.
A city that cannot be damaged, Caeos thought. One even the Blinded Princess a'Avony would envy. Fortunately, there are other avenues open to me.

Caeos breathed again, letting the Malevolent Aura expand. However this time, his white irisies seemed to swirl as his qi was focused into his eyes. He looked again into the street.
Eye of Tiamat. Let this city know the Sea of Fire---
Caeos blinked and the aura dissipated. Absolutely nothing had happened. The Eye of Tiamat, the Fire Sea Eye, had failed to redirect the flow of heat to set the buildings ablaze.
First the Land Reforming Skill, now the Nine Yin Divine Eye has failed me as well, Caeos thought. This is not good.
But I still have some tools left to me.

Caeos sat again at the tavern. The bartender was still there as usual. He had long since figured out that no commodities nor services in the city were charged.
"Bartender," Caeos said, "look at me."
"Certainly." The bartender complied immediately.
Caeos looked at her. He was aware there was a chance what he had in mind might not work due to her status as an automaton. But the Mindweaver Gauntlet's mana tendrils did not differentiate much between living or artificial things, so long as they had minds in a sense.

Caeos raised a finger in his left hand subtly. Subterfuge hardly mattered, as he had since tested killing one of the automatons. It had hardly resisted at all nor expressed surprise, and prompty regenerated after being thoroughly dismantled. But old reflexes were hard to discard.
The eyes of the skull on the Mindweaver Gauntlet glowed faintly as it activated. His index finger jerked and a black aura seemed to gather around the fingertip---

And died.
Caeos lowered his finger. "Thank you," he said, dismissing the bartender. She bowed and left. Caeos looked at his bandaged left hand, and slowly clenched it into a fist. So, the Mindweaver Gauntlet had failed as well. Three of his tools were down. He was certain he had not simply forgotten how to use these techniques. The only conclusion then, was that this universe somehow prevented him from using such techniques.
An inconvenience, he thought, but not a disaster just yet.
He still had the Way of the Hellfire. And he still had his Sliiker.

Caeos blinked and reached into his coat. He so rarely used this particular weapon that he often forgot it was there. Caeos drew the Demonic Revolver---

---and finally snarled in disgust. The Revolver was empty.

I must remain calm.
Caeos abruptly holstered the Revolver. Leaning back in his seat slightly, he casually laid his hand on the handle of the Sliiker. This place had finally gotten to him. But only once.

Foreboding finally snaked through him. This Chequered City was not what it seemed to be. He was trapped in unfamiliar territory, but deprived of many of his weapons. The conclusion: the city, or rather, the dimension in which he was trapped in, was an enemy. However, it had yet to make a move.

Sometimes, the best way to solve a problem is to forget about it entirely.
Do not jump at enemies you cannot see. You will only be tired when the real enemy strikes.
Until then, watch, and wait.

Despite his findings, the day had progressed similarly to the previous days. Caeos poured some more rice wine into his bowl and sat back to enjoy view of the bustling street.

Day: Unknown. Presumed 5.

Caeos's eyes snapped open and his hand jumped instantly to the Sliiker. He leaped to his feet---
Caeos turned back and forth, alarmed. He was not in his room in the tavern anymore. He remembered turning in for the night, but now he was already on his feet . . . more or less. Though his senses told him his orientation was upright, he could not feel the ground under him.

All of this happened in an instant. The next instant he was immediately aware of the unnatural suffocating darkness, which clouded his vision like a heavy curtain blacker than the night. Caeos immediately braced, his sustaining aura surging, but even that barely held the weight at bay. Just he felt as though all the heat had been drained from around him, the black curtain abruptly dropped away.

Caeos nearly stumbled but years of training would not permit him to lose his footing so easily. He was instantly aware of the smell that invaded his nostrils. A smell very familiar to him: the metallic tang of blood.
Accompanying the smell were the sounds of screams and cries of the dead and dying.
Caeos straightened and quickly took in his surroundings. The moon glowed red like the Blood Moon, offering no comforting glow, and the blasted land was empty of life or vegetation.

Before Caeos could even twitch, a huge ring of fire flared to life directly in front of him. Caeos took a step back involutarily to avoid getting singed by the fiery ring, which hovered at about chest height. In the distance, huge walls of fire erected themselves, and he could see more rings of fire ignite, until a total of four rings surrounded him and---

I am not alone.

Now that the initial shock had worn off, Caeos could sense the beings around him. Much to his relief, he could sense the life force --- and from the one on his left, the deathly aura of the undead --- flowing from them, unlike the automatons in the Chequered City. They stood together in a circle, all facing outwards towards the first ring of fire.

The cries of agony quieted slightly. Over the din, a great voice thundered, "You stand upon the Hellfire Battlefield. No Good can save you, no Evil can claim you. Prove yourself worthy, Pawns, or die to the flames like all who came before!"

Caeos smiled humorlessly to himself. Now his presence in this strange dimension had been explained.

"It has been a long time," Caeos intoned calmly, "since I have smelled the scent of a war."
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 3
1/30/2020 17:05:00   
  San Robin
Modzerella

Another night, another job. Bart had sneaked into the bedroom of a crime lord who terrorized a nearby town and would take payments from the villagers to leave them alone. The villagers were at the end of their rope and were close to giving up the hopes to ever lead a normal live again.

Bart had dealt with people like this before, in his opinion they were not worth a single gold nor too much of his time. A quick cut should do the trick… he had brought a small vial of his most potent poison and dipped the tip of his dagger inside. quietly he sneaked towards the sleeping crime lord, leaving the vial on the floor to grab on his way out, he lifted blade and struck as he always would.

The dagger made contact with the flesh, a familiar feeling of steel sinking into skin, tenseness followed by shaking and then nothing… Bart grinned, “Yet another piece of trash taken out”. As he thought that a new sensation overcame him. Like someone put a rope around his waist and pulled as hard as they could, like an adventurer trying to kick him to get to some cookies or like being tackled by a hungry baby dragon. Whatever it was, it was NOT a good feeling.

All was black… until it wasn’t…

Startled, Bart looks around. A strange place that reeks of death. Screams filling the area that seemed to be surrounded by walls of fire. “Well this is new…” he thinks to himself as he checks the dagger he clutches. “Speaking of new… this dagger hasn’t been as clean since the day I got it. Not a drop of blood or poison left on it!” he quickly shakes the other sheaths on his belt, a sigh of relief as he feels the familiar feeling of poison sloshing around. “At least I’m not completely unarmed.”

Having checked his inventory, Bart notices something. He is NOT alone, 4? No… 5 other people surround him. Are they friend or foe? Bart’s thoughts go in overdrive "Should I pretend to be a bunny? No… the daggers would blow my cover! What even is this place why am I even her-“ “You stand upon the Hellfire Battlefield. No Good can save you, no Evil can claim you. Prove yourself worthy, Pawns, or die to the flames like all who came before!”-Oh… Well…

Dang.

AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 4
1/30/2020 19:24:59   
deathlord45

Heat. Endless burning blinding scalding scorching heat. It’s always heat and flame like some cruel joke. First a volcano then a stragne inn hearth fire and now this place.

Releasing the last bit of cool air held in his lungs as a drawn out sigh Vincent began surveying his surroundings and the others placed in this hellscape. It had been ages since the lich had last been in such a direct setting for combat. Noting that many of them looked very young even by the standards of Vincent before he became what he is.

The girl in the jacket looks younger than the others, less experienced and probably going to be the easiest of them all to deal with. Brash youth equals easy to manipulate mistakes.

Shifting his cane to his left before beginning to make his way over towards attempting to affect a limp in his walk to keep himself looking at harmless of possible.

“Hello there.”
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 5
1/30/2020 23:02:05   
Kooroo

“Hey, Yura—”

“Hang on, last two.”

Yura threw the guard into the metal wall and spun, nailing the next one in the face with her fist. He grunted and made to fall, but Yura grabbed him by the collar and hit him again for good measure. And again.

“... Yeah, what?”

She turned back to the stairs to look at an expressionless Hiroki, who was staring at her blankly. Aoi—cute, little Aoi—was struggling below him, trying to pry the boy’s hands from her eyes. Hiroki stared at the Gate on the far end of the room, then at the man she was holding, and then straight at Yura.

“You can probably stop hitting him now,” Hiroki suggested. “He’s not moving anymore.”

Yura frowned and glanced back, just as her fist smacked into the man’s face again. She blanched and dropped him like a bag of explosive spiders. She hadn’t meant to keep hitting him. Only three times. Four times, tops. Surely she hadn’t hit him more than seven. Seven was a good number.

“Just, uh. Just making sure!” she laughed sheepishly, but Hiroki just blinked.

He opened his mouth to reply, but Aoi had had enough. The young girl stomped on her guardian’s foot, pulled herself free, turned and kneed Hiroki in the groin. He stiffened and went down, joining the soldiers that littered the room. Aoi cheered and skipped over to Yura, hopping over and hugging her friend.

“Yura, Yura! Hiroki wouldn’t let me watch you fight again!”

“I, uh, yeah. Yeah… What a terrible brother,” Yura smirked, as Hiroki slowly picked himself up. The fall had chipped his glasses. Funny, considering that the soldiers hadn’t managed to lay a finger on him.

Yura patted Aoi on the head, being careful not to get any blood on her. She was pretty certain that nothing short of physical restraints would stop Aoi from following her wherever she went. It was a bit worrying, but most of their encounters were good enough to ignore the little pink-haired girl. And on the off chance they weren’t, well… Aoi was really good at running and hiding. Come to think of it, Hiroki was usually the one who was most in danger.

Honestly, Yura didn’t really get why Hiroki kept trying to shield Aoi’s eyes anymore. Case in point; she’d watched Yura stab someone last week and clapped while cheering. It wasn’t exactly the best environment for a growing girl, but things were probably rough if you grew up without both parents. Besides, Yura was pretty sure that she had been around Aoi’s age when she’d gotten into her first brawl. A slightly errant friend and a pessimistic older brother weren’t very good role models, but they were close to all she had.

“I’ve told you, he’s not my brother! He’s my long lost older sister, twice removed!”

“I still don’t think that’s righ—“

“Yura, we need to go,” Hiroki interrupted, his knees shaky, but his tone serious.

She hesitated. Toyama still hadn’t arrived. They couldn’t leave without him. There were only three people that could open the Gate, and Yura was one of them. The other—

An explosion shook the tower, knocking Hiroki back to the floor. Yura managed to stay upright, holding Aoi close.

Hanabi?

There was the groan of bending metal, a crunch, and then a crash as the building’s door flew off the hinges. The resulting clang reverberated up the walls to meet them, and a voice roared her name.

Akabane!

Yep, that was Hanabi. Hikari Hanabi, Captain of the Guard. Heavenly King of the Western Flame. And Professional Suck-up to the Lady herself.

They didn’t have a choice anymore. They had to leave. She could deal with the guard dog by herself, but Aoi and Hiroki were in danger if they stayed.

Yura gritted her teeth and sprinted over to the Gate, with Aoi and Hiroki close behind her.
She ran up to the Gate; a black, thorn-ridden ring inscribed with characters. The flameborn child focused on a location and thrust her palm out, striking it on the surface. Her blood splashed across its surface and the Gate flared to life, its symbols flickering brightly. A hazy image formed at its core; crystallizing into grey skies and a foaming, stony river bank.

“Go first, I’ll follow up,” she growled, pulling out a sword-shaped charm. Aoi started to protest, but Hiroki simply picked her up, tucked her under an arm, and stepped through the shimmering gate.

Now, to deal with the captain. If Yura could make it to the top of the stairs before she did—

There was a bark of laughter behind her and the temperature rocketed up. Kimizan materialized in her right hand and Yura spun to face Hanabi, only to find the room engulfed in flames. The Heavenly King of the West shot her a nasty smile, her crimson uniform matching its wearer’s hair, eyes, and… gun. That was a very big gun. Oh boy.

On second thought, maybe she was also in danger.

Twin crackling orbs blinked into existence above each of the captain’s shoulders. The gun—more like a cannon, actually—sparkled and Hanabi’s eyes lit up, just as Yura twisted, and dove through the Gate.

She hit the stones hard and rolled, just as a thick stream of condensed flame erupted from the portal, scorching the ground where she had been nary a second ago. Pushing herself up, Yura struck out with her sword, cutting through the gateway’s pulsating edge. There was a flash and the doorway disappeared, cutting the beam off, leaving the melted stones to smoulder in peace.

Yura sighed, exasperated. That couldn’t have gone much worse.

“Well, that wasn’t too bad.”

She raised an eyebrow and frowned, turning to Hiroki. “Come again?”

Hiroki shrugged as Aoi bounced around behind him, her double hairbuns bobbing up and down as she squared off against an unperturbed goose. “At least we got out. It could have been all of us there.”

Yura bristled. “Losing Toyama is bad enough for one day. I don’t need you trying to be a half-baked optimist on me.”

The boy stared at her blankly and then nodded. “Alright, my apologies.”

She squinted at him. He was surprisingly calm for once. She wasn’t sure which Hiroki she liked (or disliked) more. Maybe he’d finally learnt how to read a mood? Or was it something else? She’d be having a word with him when they got back to the resistance camp.

For now, though, they needed to decide on their next move.

“Go ahead without me and tell Seigi what happened,” Yura said, climbing on top of a boulder and sitting on it cross legged. “I’ll catch up later.”

“What’re you going to do?”

“Uh… dunno, maybe what I always do? Knit a sweater? The hell do you care?” she growled, stabbing Kimizan into the ground and glaring at him for emphasis.

“Maybe you should explain it to them yourself. Toyama was your retainer after all. I thi—”

“Aoi! Aoi,” Yura interrupted angrily, ”Take your idiot bro-sister away before I mysteriously make him go M.I.A.”

The young girl looked over, regarding both Yura and Hiroki. There was a honk and she turned back to the goose. “No thanks! Go ahead.”

Yura was bluffing (for now), but either Hiroki didn’t want to have Kimizan thrown at him for the second time in the week, or he must have seriously thought that she was going to end him. She had started reaching for Kimizan when the boy gave in and called for Aoi. Who, of course, didn’t want to go. Not without Yura.

She could feel a migraine coming on.

After about 5 minutes of negotiating, punctuated by belligerent honking, Aoi and Hiroki were gone, and Yura was left alone with the goose. She stared out at the river bank, spinning a shrunken Kimizan between her fingers and relaxing for the first time that day.

Some people seriously rubbed her the wrong way. Hiroki was alright when he wasn’t being a complete weirdo and Aoi was pretty cute, if not a bit worrying. She didn’t have too much of a problem with them.

The resistance was a different story though. Seigi, their leader? One of the worst people she had ever met. She’d be off herself if she had to spend an hour of him rattling on at her each day. She genuinely didn’t understand how his advisors managed it. How did anyone? Yura would’ve been more than happy to just be left to her own devices and deal with things her way, but Seigi insisted that they worked together.

Why was that anyway? Why did they have to work together so closely? What, was there only room for one team name under Opposition on the warring factions scoreboard? Would two be illegal? Or maybe they’d both be disqualified for an unfair numbers advantage? Yura honestly didn’t know; it wasn’t like she had read the rules of war. No such book had existed in her library. Not that she had ever been into her library.

She dropped Kimizan on the rock next to her. The goose started preening itself. Then it waddled behind her and out of sight. What a shame.

The resistance called themselves the Jiyugun, for crying out loud. The characters literally spelt out ‘Freedom Army’. But instead of doing any freedom fighting or any actual resisting, it felt like they just left it all to her. It didn’t seem like they did anything but give her orders, directives, and a whole lot of synonyms for ‘red tape’. And when she did go off and do her own thing, bloody Seigi always popped up out of nowhere, with his group of besties right behind him.

This probably would’ve been avoided if Yura hadn’t tried to be… what was the word? Amicable? If she’d just been a bit less amicable when they’d first met… Or maybe just if she’d just disagreed with his whole ‘our goals align’ marketing schlick . There was one lesson she’d learnt from all of this, though: “My enemy’s enemy is not necessarily my friend… especially if they’re completely intolerable”.

There was a flapping, and then the goose was standing on the rock next to her. It had something small and red in its beak.

... Hold up.

“Oi! What do yo—” Yura started, but then it pecked her face, honked, and started running along the river. With Kimizan.

A nerve twitched in her cheek. Seriously? A goose? Who ever heard of a goose stealing things?

Yura chased after the goose. There wasn’t much else she could do. As long as it didn’t start—

And then it took flight. The flameborn swore and kept running.

Another hundred meters and they were approaching the lake. Or what was apparently a lake. Yura thought from its size that it was more of a pond, but one of Seigi’s advisors had informed her it was actually a lake. It didn’t have a name though. Might as well have been a pond.

The goose landed by the side of the lake and she sighed, relieved. There wasn’t going to be a cooked goose on the side tonight. Or not so much cooked, but more combusted. There probably wouldn’t have been much left.

The blasted bird still hadn’t dropped Kimizan though. She could sense that this was going to be a pro—

It looked at her and then looked at the lake. And then with a jerk of its head, it flicked her sword into the water.

Yura loured at the bird. Unconcerned, it honked at her. She growled at it, then turned and looked into the water. The water was crystal clear, so she didn’t have any problems seeing it.
The girl sighed and muttered a string of expletives to herself. There was no way she could grab it without getting wet. This part of the lake wasn’t very deep, but it would probably mean getting her whole arm soaked. She really didn’t want to have to dive in. This was where she really wished the old folk tales were true; she could just get the lady in the lake to toss the sword back up. Wouldn’t have been a problem.

With gritted teeth, she rolled up her sleeve and dunked her arm in, immediately regretting the decision. The water was cold. After she got her sword back she was going to consider strangling that sword-pinching bird. That would tea—

And for the fourth time that day, the goose interrupted her thoughts and body slammed her on the side of her head. She fell into the lake head first.

It flapped and honked happily, then waddled off.

Yura burst from the water, gasping and spitting. She rubbed her head and swore, and then cursed again. And again. The girl let loose line after line of expletives; enough that any bystander would think that Swearing was her native language. Her fist slammed into the side of the bath—

Wait. Bath?

Her rage made way for confusion, and the flameborn looked around. They were in a public bath; an onsen. A pleasant line of circular rocks ringed the hot spring, which itself was large enough to swim laps in. The water was hot—as expected and required—which made Yura feel right at home.

Wait. They?

They???

A bunch of people were sharing the water with her; their eyes looking pointedly at her. She knew all these people too; they were all Jiyugun soldiers. Figures that they’d all be lying around in a hot spring instead of any actual resistance work. Even Seigi was here, the coward.

Yura stood up. And realised another problem.

Where were her clothes?

The flameborn flinched and turned a brilliant red; vivid enough to match her weapons. Hastily shielding herself, she stuttered and stammered and spluttered; the excuses, apologies, and curses all intertwining and mixing together, to make an incoherent torrent of gibberish. The spring’s other inhabitants regarded her blankly and continued staring.

Everything was spinning. She felt dizzy. This wasn’t possible! How could this have happened?

When she had finally gathered enough of her wits together, Yura had spotted and then made a mad dash for the change room. Her clothes and weapons were stacked in a neat pile, almost as if they'd been waiting for her.

Without a moment to spare, Yura got changed and immediately made to leave the bath house. Trying not to think too much, the girl pulled on her gloves and pushed open the door to the lobby. She was met by a familiar red-haired woman manning the door.

“May I help you, miss?” asked Hikari Hanabi, bowing courteously.

Yura stares dumbly. This… This was all too much. She must’ve died. That explained it. The goose must have broken her neck and caused her to drown in the lake. So there was an afterlife after all.

She continued to stare at the bowing Hanabi for another few moments before she went and did what came naturally. With a shout, Yura punched her.

The effect was immediate. Her hat flew off and she shot backwards. There was a small explosion of splinters as the captain crashed into the desk behind her and toppled over, upsetting a pot plant as she fell. Yura hissed and shook her hand. That had been like punching a lamp post; she could’ve broken her hand.

As she shook her hand out, nothing happened. She wasn’t hit with any new revelations or understandings.

But she did feel better. That was something. It wasn’t quite equivalent to nearly being atomised, but it was a form of payback. As long as no one walked else walked in, th—

And then Hanabi bolted upright, without a single bruise nor scratch on her. Yura stared, her mouth ajar, as the Lady’s watchdog picked up her hat and dusted herself off.

“I see that you’re ready. Right this way, please,” she said, gesturing for Yura to follow. The captain walked to the front door, opened it, and kept walking. Yura just continued to watch her until her brain kicked it back into gear. She bit her lip and jogged after her, now thoroughly weirded out.

The flameborn caught up with the guard dog, who was holding the door open. They stepped out onto a railed overpass, high up over a wide, sparsely populated square. Streets and alleys; doors and arches; parks and canals; they all mingled and wove together into a seamless, convoluted mess. It hurt her head to try and follow any single path. One of the wider streets simply connected back to itself, in a pointless, roundabout loop. Conversely, a tiny, dodgy looking alley shot straight up into the depths of a grand cathedral.

But Yura could see one common theme in the city through the confusion: everything was black and white. It reminded her of a strategy game that her sister and mother used to always play. Chass? Chess? Was this going to matter later?

They kept walking. Man, this was a long bridge. Yura took in the views, watching some of the ruckus below them. All the people looked exactly the same as the ones you’d find back at home, on the mountain. She narrowed her eyes when she spotted a short, pink-haired figure in the distance. Was that… Aoi?

And another figure there, next to her. A mop of slate blue. Hiroki?
This couldn’t be real.

“So, what is this place?” Yura asked, uncertainly. Hanabi didn’t answer and kept walking. The end of the walkway was near; a squat, rectangular building, with a single spire that stretched to the sky. It looked disconcertingly familiar and Yura felt her heart rate increase.

“Oi! I’m asking you a question!” The flameborn snarled, grabbing the captain by the back of the collar and attempting to spin her. This time, however, Hanabi didn’t budge and kept walking along unhindered, dragging Yura along almost comically until she was forced to let go.

The Heavenly King opened the door and walked through, holding it open for Yura. “Don’t worry, miss. All will be explained shortly.”

Yura scowled and walked through the door. Hanabi closed it with a loud clang and darkness filled the room.

A dull, orange hue filled the chamber, illuminating the room and its inhabitants. Smoke filled the room, and the crackle of fire graced her ears.

Five familiar people stood before her. A tall man and a slender woman, their features indistinguishable in the shadow and haze. But there was no doubting who they were. Three girls stood in front of them; a young, beaming teenager who had her arms around the two little ones. Yura spotted her younger self in the hug; a smiling, skinny little runt with a messy bob. If she remembered the family photo correctly, then she had been covered from head to toe in bruises.

Mother… Father!

Yura started towards them. She took a few, unsteady steps before the world erupted into a brilliant Light.

“NO!”

She drew her sword and rushed towards them, but the scene shifted before her. Her family was gone, replaced by two figures. The first—a woman—was facing her, prostrated on the floor, clutching her stomach.

Yura couldn’t look at the second shadow. Couldn’t. Wouldn’t. She refused. But she knew who it was and could see them in her mind.

Tall. Slender. A katana, planted in the ground before it. The Light which shone so brightly seemed to emanate both from it, yet behind it at the same time.

It spoke to her, it’s voice a low, female contralto. “Yura Akabane. Kisama.”

The flameborn let out a roar and charged. The shadow let out a single laugh and kicked the prone figure aside. It raised its blade and blocked Yura’s strike, not bothering to unsheathe its sword.

“So, even now you resist. Honestly, why do you bother?” With a swift motion, the silhouette pushed Kimizan aside and rammed the sheathe into Yura’s throat. She cried out and fell, Kimizan dropping.

A kick found her ribs, and then she was being stepped on. The shadow levelled her sword at her.

“Submit,” it commanded, with a tone of finality. “Or perish, like those before you.”

“Bite me,” Yura snarled, and rammed a fist into the foot pinning her. It didn’t budge.

The figure smiled, showing a hint of teeth. “Very good. You might be of some use.”

It changed, growing large, broader. Masculine and armored. The Light shone brighter from behind it and its katana morphed into a brilliant, shining claymore. Yura narrowed her eyes and struck the foot again. And again.

“That’s what I like to see!” it laughed. “Now fight!”

And then, still laughing, he swung the claymore down. Yura screamed in anger.

The world collapsed.

She was on a field. Standing. Fires crackled and surrounded her, and the others who shared the circle. Kimizan was in her right hand and no longer on the ground beside her. One of the circle, one of the whole. But she knew she was alone. Was she always alone?

A cheering Aoi and sighing Hiroki flashed through her thoughts.

Not always. But now?

Yura glanced to the sides and her back as a harsh voice bayed over them, drowning out the screams. The last line stood out to her though.

Prove herself or die? She ground her teeth in frustration, the laughter still ringing in her head.

There was some movement to her right; a tall, lanky man had stepped towards her, putting them dangerously close.

She turned towards him and glowered, her blade clenched tightly in her fist.

He said something in Standard Common. A greeting maybe; languages had never been her strongest point. She’d never cared for them and she didn’t care now.

Yura smiled and stepped forward as she growled a reply. “Akabane, Yura. Yoros—

And then, in a flash, she struck, partway through her sentence.

Kimizan twisted and came up in her right, its form changing—lengthening—as she stepped forward and swung it. The flameborn brought her left hand to the hilt as she swung, pulling from below and across her body, intending to take the man down in a single, overpowering blow.
AQW Epic  Post #: 6
1/30/2020 23:50:31   
Apocalypse

She could hear the thrumming beyond the oaken door: a score of voices bleating out their false worship to the Mother. “The All-Light” they called her, the one true beacon in a grim world filled with foul creatures and twisted shadows. Though the faithful themselves burned only as cinders, even a floating ember from the hearth could be a guiding light in the dark. Such was the namesake of the Church of the Emberlight. Such was their heresy. Their mediocrity. They were not worthy to bathe in the Mother’s Blessing when they followed but half her teachings.

A child was the first to react, turning with bright eyes filled with innocence to the figure clad in onyx crystal slipping through the doorway. Awe preceded glee as she pulled at the hem of her mother’s robes. “Mama,” she whispered. “She’s pretty,” she said. But the mother paid no heed to her child, her ear only taking in the preacher’s silver words. “Not now,” she answered. “Just a little longer,” she said. What possible importance could her own flesh and blood be in this sacred place?

The Pale Priestess met the yearning gaze of the child, her ciltine eyes aglow even in the dim light of the tapers. Have the young follow while they are impressionable, and there will always be a next generation to carry out the will of the faith. Her lips curved into a gentle smile. The child beamed back. Have the young follow while they are impressionable, and their faith will be as long-lived as the ember.

It was the preacher who next took notice of the interloper. For a heartbeat he froze, speech and man coming to a halt in the presence of the demon in these hallowed halls. In that moment of stillness, the faint drip-drip of blood falling upon the stone floor below sounded as an anvil. The holy man stole a glance the black crystal blade sitting on her wrist, the amethyst brimming within obscured by the crimson without. The valiance of the temple guards was worthy of admiration...even if their swordplay left something to be desired. With iron eyes the preacher met the brilhado’s gaze. “What does thou seek, demon?” His voice boomed within the chamber, echoing off the grey stone surrounding them. The shepherd trying his hand at playing the lion.

“Thou shall find no respite in this place. Judgement of the All-Light awaits thee.” The worshippers retreated from her like the tide as the Ravenous Seeker prowled forward. No sound escaped from the lips as they curled into the ghost of a smile. “Thou shalt cast no shadow in Her presence.” The voice was strong but body weak - beads of sweat already glistened upon his brow. Threats, commandments, scriptures...all were hurled at the specter in ivory in fruitless endeavors. She strode forward unabated.

How does one kill a faith? Execute its followers? No, for they shall be painted as martyrs and their assailants, assassins. Conversion of the masses? No, for those who trade in one faith for another like barterers in a market are as loyal as starving wolves.

No. To destroy a faith, one must prove their faith to be meaningless.

The step onto the apse was the breaking point for the preacher. He stumbled on the hem of the robes, and the censer slipped from his grasp. It clattered and bounced across the floor as the Pale Priestess entered the bright candlelight enveloping the holy man. The obsidian needles cascading down her back and rich with crimson, emerald, and violet hues could no longer be misconstrued as mere hair. Her marble skin was not a trick of the dim light illuminating the masses but a testament to her supernatural nature. And the blade - that sickening blade - was not attached to a gauntlet but a growth on her arm worn as naturally as a lady of the court would don a bracelet. The preacher backed away until he was up against the wall and still the brilhado approached him. A full head taller, she could feel the clergyman’s short breath brush against her collarbone as she raised the crystal edge to his throat. To his credit, the Emberlight’s priest locked eyes with the demon in these final moments. She glanced down at the preacher’s shaded form, the light from the surrounding candles blocked by her menacing frame.

“Oh look,” said Akordia Truenight, her voice a whisper on the wind, “This demon does cast a shadow.” The preacher grimaced but said nothing; the blade biting so close that opening his jaw could very well slit his throat. A hint of joy sparked in her eyes as she sneered. “Any last words?” Steel eyes bulged as sweat dripped freely from his brow.

And then all went dark.

It was for but a moment, the briefest of spaces between heartbeats, but in that moment the world was changed. The room was alight not with orange candleglow, but white light. The Pale Priestess flicked her eyes to the nearest taper. Upon its wick burned a flame as brilliant as snow. And yet...did it burn? The fire was alive but was not subject to the whims of wind and fuel, instead fluttering in a distinct and cylindrical pattern. From the corners of her eyes, the shadows danced, but they did neither follow the rhythm of the flame nor follow the same path twice. Akordia grasped the preacher by the front of his robe and lifted until his toes were scarcely touching the floor. “What is this sorcery? Speak!”

But there was no answer. The preacher only stared with eyes holding no life or understanding. Lips lay cracked open with no sound or movement. No longer did beads of sweat cling to his skin. No longer did fear grip his heart. Akordia snarled at the puppet of a man in her grasp. “Your life then.” The Pale Priestess drew the sharp crystal across his jugular. Black ichor flowed from the wound as if she had cut open a waterskin, not slashed a man’s throat. She dropped the body where it hit the flow unmoving. No last throes of life. No last whimpers for mercy. The brilhado stepped back from the body as the liquid continued to pour from the husk. “Not even fit for the rite.” She pivoted on her heel, turning to face the congregation. They could have been mistaken for statues; Akordia was not certain that they weren’t. The child still stood there, clutched in the unmoving arms of her mother as shadows rippled across their faces. The light continued to flicker, and the shadows continued to dance to their own tune. The Pale Priestess marched down the aisle not pausing to see if the eyes of the worshippers followed her. Better to leave this cursed place behind and unravel the parameters of the enchantment cast by the Emberlight’s-

“Kraven.”

Akordia froze.

Her gaze floated back the to apse, back to the lifeless body of the preacher. The same preacher climbing to his feet, his limbs bending at unnatural angles to do so in the most efficient fashion. The same preacher whose slashed throat was plugged by the inversed waterfall of viscous black liquid flowing back into the wound. Empty eyes laid upon the brilhado. He had her attention. Anyone who used that name would.

“I’ve dealt with unlife before,” Akordia said as she took a stride forward. The feat had been impressive, but the man was not. She would strike him down as many times as necessary. The whole congregation could join him if they barred her way. “But I must admit, nothing quite like your brand. Perhaps I misjudged the All-Light?”

“You do not belong to the sky.”

Akordia let out a low hiss through the clenched teeth of her smile. The twinge of pain running along the mass of black crystals coating her shoulder blades had never truly left her since that day. She remembered it well - any brilhado would. The porcelain mask on the necromancer’s face had done little to protect him from her wrath after the deed was done. Shattering it did little to heal the injustice inflicted.

“But you could once more.”

The preacher’s voice was not one but a legion as it reverberated throughout the chamber. Young and old, man and woman, and all the grays in-between spoke to her. “Akordia Truenight, you seek to tip the scales for the Mother. Prove your worth, and it shall be yours.”

Instinct turned her around. Restraint prevented her from cutting down the congregation members now surrounding her. Dozens of eyes all looked at her as ebony and ivory fluttered across their faces. She had not heard them move, and even now she could not tell if they drew breath. Beyond them lay a mirror in the stead of the oaken door. Its cold reflection caught the chamber with one crucial flaw - the faces in the mirror were turned not at Akordia’s reflection but at the brilhado herself. The Pale Priestess pushed her way through the worshippers. They stumbled and moved like those of flesh would. They recovered and retook their positions as those of flesh would not. She waded through their numbers until she was an arm’s length from the mirror. Her skin prickled. One last look back to view the congregation behind her. They had not moved in the reflection, yet each and every one of them faced her now. The preacher on the apse looked on with unmoving eyes. No worry marked the gaze of the mother. No sense of glee crossed the child’s face.

“By the grace of the Mother.”

And Akordia Truenight stepped through.

Falling slower than freefall, sinking quicker than any watery descent, Akordia was transported forward. Up became down. Back was the same as front. Heat and cold were interchangeable and yet one. She was weightless, she was heavier beyond measure. She could see for miles in the void. She could not see at all. A lifetime and a heartbeat all passed as she pressed on in the one true direction.

Onwards.

And then the Pale Priestess was standing once more. Fire burned before her on the ground and in the air of this field draped in scarlet moonlight. Voices cried out and roared in the darkness; dissenters fighting to their last as the Ravenous Seeker fell upon them. Traitors were to be liberated from life and re-inducted into the Network’s ranks as the undead. And Akordia had been happy to oblige - after taking her cut. What was one dissenter lost to her rites when a dozen more were delivered unto The’Galin’s service? She could still hears the screams, so feral and desperate. Perhaps she would hear them once more this day.

Five others stood in this battlefield as they were commanded by a presence beyond mortal comprehension. To one side stood a man clad in black who spoke of war with an air of familiarity. To the other was a young woman perhaps once a noble but now reduced to the same bloodbath as the rest. “Pawns…?”` she asked. “You want us...to fight?” Was she this timid? A ruse? Or did the strength need to be pulled from her?

“Yes, my child,” the Pale Priestess answered. Akordia eyed the others summoned to his battlefield. Oddities, misfits, and eclectics were they all. She glanced back to the once noble woman. The pupils of Akordia’s eyes were slit and sharp as a razor’s edge in this forsaken field. “But shall you be sacrificed?” The brilhado whipped around and bounded towards the blackclad warhunter. Crystal blade cut through the air to strike for the heart of her prey.

“Or shall you become a Queen?” she roared.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 7
1/31/2020 0:09:41   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

When Ebriva was a child, her father had built her a palace of light.

They had lived in Cerrai's temple then, in the time before Earlon, before Damascus, before so very much. In those days one of her parents had been gone more often than not. Given their responsibilities to the people of the island, it was not so unusual for them both to be called away at once, leaving her in the care of well-meaning temple acolytes who could never quite ease the ache that absence left in Ebriva's heart. But one day, her father had swept her up into the air to sit upon his shoulder, and they had descended from the high perches of the temple to the tropical forest below. There was a lagoon there, perhaps two hours’ hike through the serene trees, and when they had arrived, her father set her on a log and told her they were going to build a house.

Of course that was silly, as the girl had pointed out. They didn’t need a house when they had their rooms in the temple, and besides, there was nothing there to build a house with. “Oh?” Her father had asked, smiling mysteriously. “Then I suppose we’ll just have to see what we can make.”

What he made were building blocks of light, radiance spun out of the dappled air in golden hue. The sight had rendered her breathless, and she watched with rapt attention as he bent sunbeams into buttresses, twirled columns from lumination. It was beautiful, airy, an abstract structure of aurora that grew and grew until it filled the spit of sand leading to the water. “Now love,” he instructed, “I want you to try and add to it.”

In that moment she had known she could do it. She had known it with the simple, certain intensity that only the young can manage. There was no question of it; after all, her father had asked her to. So she reached out her hand to touch the shining castle before her, feeling nothing at all - no welling of power like her parents had described, no connection to something more - but unconcerned. Her father had asked; for him, she would have done anything. One finger brushed along the peak of a tower…

The next month was little more than a jumble of confused impressions. Day melding into night, strange smells, voices she thought she knew, fleeting splotches of color, cold pinpricks washing over her body. Worse were the nightmares - horrible fever-dreams where the shadows breathed, the light raked at her, and she was stalked by some nameless, inexorable pursuer.

When she finally returned to herself both her parents had been there. They were worn, haggard, and yet… somehow triumphant. She had always assumed the reason was the belt, draped across her sheet-covered body like an ornament for the dead. Her mother and father had suspected she had the talent, but the truth was their daughter was broken. The solution? Ten hunks of onyx on a silver chain. Ten pieces divided into three triads and a heart stone - so little, really, to suspend a life upon. Ten stones that, through titanic effort, had been attuned to her, to do what she could not. To guide, to measure… to restrict.

What other choice had there been?

The Stormcaller thought of those days as seldom as possible. No doubt it was the madness of the City that brought back those memories. But there was something else too, more than the feverish cast of this place... a slender memory of standing on the beach with her mother as the tide rolled endlessly in. “You start simply. Move with the flow, embrace the seeming chaos. In the end, you cut through, to the tranquility at the heart.”

Ebriva took a deep breath, letting it go slowly, one heartbeat at a time. Chaos, huh? Plenty of that about to come. That brought the barest hint of a smile to her face as her eyes flicked around the circle of figures and settled on the woman to her right. The pale one was tall, taller than the Stormcaller herself, with cat-pupiled eyes and hair that faintly glinted in the bloody moonlight. She had also, apparently, heard the question the young woman had asked to herself. The reply Crystal-hair offered was… cutting.

And though Ebriva bristled at being called “child”, she had to agree with the woman's assessment. Pawn was only another word for dupe.

But Queen…

Queen was rather more regal than the young woman cared for. The Stormcaller had never wanted to rule; she had never wanted to be a hero. That had been Damascus’ dream: the Crown and the Shield. As for Ebriva… The young woman’s desire was much simpler. All Ebriva wanted was vengeance.

Her right hand joined its partner, tightening around the stave as resolve hardened into decision.

"You want a show then, do you?" The Stormcaller whispered. She had no idea if whoever - or whatever - had brought them here could hear her. If there were watchers, she could not see them. But in her bones she knew they were there. Given the choice to play along or feed the flames, she would give them a spectacle... for now.

Which meant the young woman needed a target. Options were not short, but the true question was one of quality… of worth. After a moment, Ebriva's smile grew. And why not? Few things were more enjoyable than a simple answer.

In the final summation, a storm was only as fearsome as its eye, and every good squall was presaged by thunder. Electricity crackled up the length of her staff as the rod itself whistled down, pointed at a spot just behind the man Crystal-hair was charging. A bolt of lightning - accompanied by a clash of thunder - leapt from her stave, arcing across the battlefield. If the pale woman’s target stepped back, he would catch Ebriva’s shot; that would leave him a hard choice: engage with Crystal-hair or take his chances with the fire.

Drawing her left hand upward and pushing forward with her right, the Stormcaller snapped the staff into a half-circle reverse, flowing from one stance to the next with liquid grace. A faint effort of will renewed the charge coursing through her weapon, and with a grumbling peal a second bolt sizzled from the butt of the rod at the pair, moments after the first.

With the two combatants coming into close proximity, her follow-up shot might strike either of them, which the pale woman could take amiss. Somehow, Ebriva doubted she would. But even if she did, Crystal-hair would have her hands full in a moment.

And if it was a jab of petty revenge for the pale woman calling her a child? Well, there was no reason the Stormcaller couldn’t take two birds with one stone.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 8
1/31/2020 17:07:06   
ChaosRipjaw
How We Roll Winner
Jun15

Day: Unknown. Does not matter.
Situation: Danger

No sooner had Caeos finished his sentence, he sensed---

Movement. To my right.

If the person to his right wanted to talk to him, there was no reason to move so quickly. Only one reason then.
An attack.
His suspicions were confirmed when he heard the battlecry.
The sustaining power of the Malevolent Aura surged to life as his young warrior's blood warmed. No matter how hardened a warrior was to danger, he always knew, from his beating heart and shivering flesh, the difference between reality and memory.

Caeos spared a glance behind him. Out of the corner of his eye, he could make out someone rushing him.
The heart.
He knew the blow would be delivered with great force.
Use yin to counter yang.
Without turning around, he tilted his left side forward.

Two things happened at once.

Perfectly timed, the assailant's weapon narrowly missed his heart. Instead, it followed the surface of his back, as he expected, although he had not expected to hear it to tear a line into his longcoat.
Also perfectly timed, as a lightning bolt slammed into the ground inches from his left foot, followed instantaneously by a thunderclap.

Caeos registered both events in the flicker of an eyelash, even as he whirled clockwise to---

Odd. A left-handed opponent.
It was too late to change his counterattack. He had assumed his assailant was right-handed, and had prepared to launch an uppercut-armlock. Unfortunately, there was no right arm upon which to perform this attack. Instead, having whiffed the attack completely, he shifted his arm so that he merely blocked her charge.

The force of her charge nearly threw him off balance. His aura trembled slightly as his boots dug into the ground, a testament to her strength.

For a few instants, Caeos and his assailant were locked in a deadly embrace.
In these few instants, Caeos quickly took in his surroundings.

His assailant was a very tall woman, with stern features, eyes like hardened amber, and lips black as coal. Her skin was chalky white, in stark contrast to her hair, which was covered in---

Crystals.
Covered was the wrong term. The needlelike crystals that he thought lined her hair were her hair. The crystals were all as black as her lips, save for a few streaks of colors that Caeos recognized as ruby, emerald, and amethyst.
Her entire body was also covered in these crystals, which clung to her like chain-mail armor. Fortunately, Caeos's blocking arm was only touching her collarbone, which, along with her shoulders, neck, and upper arms, were bare.

Now that his back was turned, he couldn't see behind him but he could sense what sounded like a battle that was about to erupt. However, that did not concern him as much as the one who stood opposite to his position in the circle.
She was also a woman, seemingly slim and fragile as a reed, but with his experience, he recognized that she possessed the bearing of nobility. But what quickly drew his attention and alarm was that she was holding a staff.

The woman did not possess the proper build to use a staff as a melee weapon. In addition, the lightning bolt from earlier that had probably been intended to catch him if he had backed away from the crystal woman's attack had come from the staff-wielding woman's direction.

The first conclusion: she was a magic-user.
The second conclusion, far more important: she had set up a trap for him. Which could mean only one thing.

They were working together.

Caeos frowned inwardly. He could have sworn there was someone else left unaccounted for. Something amiss . . . ?

But time was up. The slim woman had twirled her staff and --- as Caeos anticipated --- a second bolt of lighting streamed from her staff---

Directly at him and the crystal woman.

At the same time, something pricked his arm near the wrist.
There was a hiss of sizzling flesh and Caeos jerked his forearm back instinctively. Just in time, as a sharp, red-hot crystal was protruding from the crystal woman’s collarbone. A delayed reaction and his forearm would have been skewered.

In the split second he had, he leaned his head back. The Gravity Shift kicked in, shifting his center of gravity to a far more convenient location. Caeos propelled himself off the ground with his left foot, his right leg lashing out and shoving the crystal woman away from him, using her stomach as leverage.

Just in time, as the lightning bolt streaked past the place where either either of his body or the crystal woman's have been.
The clap of thunder rolled across the battlefield as Caeos slammed into the ground, past the first ring of fire --- which he noted to be at ground level, not chest level as he had initially thought ---- the blazing fire must have distorted his perception --- and rolled into a kneeling position with the ease afforded by the Gravity Shift. Caeos noted that the crystal woman had also landed past the ring of fire as well, and also, far more interestingly, that the weapon she had attempted to stab him with was a crystal blade which protruded from her left wrist.

He had not escaped the lightning bolt unscathed. Caeos could hear the hiss of burning leather; he did not need to look down to know that his chest had been seared by the bolt. Fortunately, his clothes had protected him taking the brunt of the full lightning strike, but it had been an extremely close call.

As for his forearm, the wound throbbed with a similar pain to the lightning burn, and he knew for sure that the crystal from before had not only punctured his sleeve and cut his skin, but had also burned him. Fortunately, he could feel no trickle of blood for the burn had also cauterized the cut.

Caeos took a deep breath. He noted with unease that the extra force produced by the Malevolent Aura he had used to push the crystal woman away had seemed to drain him far more than he was used to. Although his breath just now had restored him to normal, he would need to be cautious in his use of the Aura.

Not even a few seconds and yet they have drawn first blood. Well, not quite, as his only injuries were burns, but this was hardly a reason to celebrate.

Not a disaster yet. He had been certain that the lightning wielding woman was working with the crystal woman, based on the lightning trap he had avoided by sheer luck. However, he was also certain that the second lightning bolt had not been aimed specifically at him. If his conjecture was wrong---

Let's see how this plays out, Caeos thought grimly, his right hand moving and grasping the hilt of the Sliiker.

AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 9
2/3/2020 16:48:32   
  San Robin
Modzerella

All hell breaks loose as people start to attack each other left and right! Clearly Bart was not the only one to hear the voice. ”This isn’t good! But for now they’re leaving me alone… do they not see me or… wait… the bunny tactic may just work!” Quickly Bart sheathes his dagger, squats down and folds his ears back in his neck to look as innocent as he possibly can. ”This is embarrassing, but a hell of a lot better than dying!” Bart thinks as he hops away for a bit. ”Maybe I can just wait for them to kill each other…” He entertains the thought for a moment before he is overcome with a feeling of dread. ”Where did that come from?! Well… maybe it’s not such a good idea to go against whatever transported everyone here…”

As Bart oversees the battles going on he notices that there’s a young girl and a lanky man going against each other. The girl seems like one of those people that usually goes “D’aaaaahw” when they see a Moglin and yet… He can feel there’s something off about the both of them, the man in particular has something eerie about him. But the girl… She seems strong, especially for a human her age and VERY angry as well, he could use that to his advantage, if he only plays his cards right. Bart grins as he fluffs up his fur to be extra fluffy and puts up his best “Puppy eyes”

Bart watches as he sees the two going at each other, a heated battle commencing, the girl seems to have things under control. Until… a kick goes wrong! The Girl nearly falls into the flames! Decisions had to be made, and FAST! Attacking someone might drop his innocent act, but it would also show his willingness to help the girl. Bart sighs, ”I guess the innocent act is almost over… It’s now or never!!” He starts sprinting and takes out 2 of his daggers. one with paralysis poison and one with the more lethal stuff. Bart leaps and with a satisfying thud plunges both his daggers into the legs of the man ”Gotcha! “

Right after the stab the air becomes dangerously cold, not the normal kind you would have in winter, no… it’s saturated with magic and ominous energy. In a reflex Bart leaps back to avoid damage as the girl regains her composure and with yell, launches a flurry of attacks and finishes off the strange man. ”Note to self: Do NOT piss this girl off... “ he thinks to himself.

The man lies in pieces, sliced up like a piece of old meat, the girl standing over what remains of him... And now, oh no! she is going straight for Bart ”Look cute, look cute, look CUTE “ Bart thinks as she gets closer. She reaches out and… Pets him with a smile! ”SCORE! Fluff for the win!“

Bart smiles back at the girl, ”Now who’s next?“ This question is answered with a yelp and a confused look from the girl. ”Hmmm… no common huh? no problem! “ Bart gestures to the other group of fighters and slides his finger across his throat to indicate that they’re his next target. He draws the dagger with paralysis poison and starts running towards the other group… ”Let me have a stab at it as well!“
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 10
2/3/2020 20:01:53   
Kooroo

The tent flap flipped open and Aoi skipped in, the sun’s rays following her lead. Her smile immediately dropped when she saw the crippling lack of Yura. She stared and blinked at Hiroki, scribbling at his desk. He’d probably been there the entire night. The young girl walked up to him as he wrote furiously, completely focused on the task at hand. She wasn’t tall enough to see what he was writing. Not that she could have read it, anyway.

So instead, Aoi gave the boy a powerful shove, sending him flying out of his seat.

“What gives?” he shot, rubbing his backside.

“That was too hard. You’re heavy. When did you get so fat?” she piped, looking at him crossly.

He started to protest, but Aoi ignored him, sitting down on his leg, and cutting him off. “Where’s Yura? It’s been two weeks. You said she’d be back yesterday.”

Hiroki sighed. “Aoi, it’s barely been half a day—”

“Nuh-uh. Weeks. Definitely weeks. I miss Yura,” she sniffed.

He grimaced and patted her head as she sobbed. When Yura hadn’t come back to camp, they’d sent out Resistance scouts and backtracked to where they’d left her. They hadn’t found anything besides the bird. Aoi had cried all the way back until the leader, Seigi, had assured them that she’d be back in the morning. She’d perked up after that, but now…

Hiroki was doing his best to comfort the girl, when he seemed to have an epiphany. He picked Aoi up, righted his chair, and seated her in it. She stopped sniffling and frowned at him suspiciously. “What are you doing?”

He sat down on another chair and pulled a blank sheet of paper over his notes. “I’m going to teach you how to read. Pass me that pen?”

The man ducked under Yura’s swing, dropping to his knees and thrusting his cane at her head. She spat a curse and committed to her follow-through. The movement initially worked for her, as the cane missed her face entirely, but now she was falling. The flameborn lashed out with a kick as she dropped and felt it connect, buying her some room.

She hit the ground and rolled, dropping her sword and coming up on her left elbow… and then immediately regretted it. There was a sudden warmth and her jacket sleeve started smouldering. That blazing ring of fire.

Amusingly, Yura had meant to use ‘blazing’ as a cuss, but the pun—not to mention humor—was lost in the heat of the moment.

Hissing, she pushed off the ground hurriedly and stood, glaring at the offending flame. Yura took up Kimizan in her left hand and looked at the lanky piece of scum. He was preoccupied, being attacked by a plush toy. That was too good for him.

Yura charged, gripping her sword with both hands. She gave a shout as she approached, swinging the blade horizontally and across as he turned to her. He stumbled, his leg giving out, but managed to get his cane up to block; barely. Kimizan’s edge bit deep into its metal head.

Yura snarled, her silver glare boring into her foe’s deep, ocean-blue eyes.

She drew her foot back and kicked, straight up into his groin. There was a resounding crunch as bones broke. So she did it again. And again.

A left hook took his eye. A boot to the heel shattered his ankle. Another fist to his jaw. She threw in a headbutt

But the man’s grip didn’t falter. The cane shuddered as he tried to free it from her blade.

A female voice spoke to her. A memory. ”Stuck again? How disgraceful. A fine blade in the hands of a fool is a fine waste.”

The flameborn screamed in fury. She hammered her left fist down on his head and wrenched her right arm to the side until something gave. Kimizan flew free, swinging out to her side.

Yura reversed the motion with a roar, aiming high.

The first swing took the man’s head from his neck. Some small part of Yura was surprised at the lack of blood, but she simply struck again. And again. And again and again and again.

She slashed and hacked and cleaved at him until there was nothing left to swing at; just a pair of kneeling legs. Yura panted, her temper settling. That’d felt good. It wasn’t often that she let loose, but it’d been a very long day. Been attacked by a bloodless, lanky weirdo had just been the cap on it.

Something bumped against her leg. She looked down and the man stared back. Yura glowered and then gave it a mighty kick, sending it soaring into the distance.

The young delinquent made to follow it, but paused. The plush toy that had stabbed her assailant was sitting on the side, gazing at her with big, endearing eyes.

Her heart fluttered. Yura didn’t have much choice. She walked over

She could’ve sworn those eyes were smiling at her. How did eyes even smile? This wasn’t a good idea. It had knives, for crying out loud. Why would anyone approach a strange, knife-wielding rabbit?

She stopped and, after a brief hesitation, gave the little guy a quick head rub. Oh, that was soft. That was very, very soft. So soft. She smiled and laughed, anger momentarily forgotten.

And then it spoke.

Yura yelped and jumped back, almost tripping over herself. She stared at the rabbit. What… how? It spoke...? It spoke. It spoke Standard Common? Uhhhh. The creature looked back at her curiously. All she could do was blink back, a blush of inferiority rising to her cheeks. A magical anima spoke Common better than she did.

Yura tried to respond, doing her best to thank it. “Ehhhh—“

It pointed and then made a motion. A universal gesture that only a blind man could; a quick, cutting motion across its neck. Yura gave it a grin and nodded once in approval.

The rabbit drew a dagger and bounded off towards the remaining fighters. She ran a hand through her fringe and shrank Kimizan. Yura took a deep breath before she turned, and stepped across the flickering ring.
AQW Epic  Post #: 11
2/3/2020 22:38:37   
Apocalypse

A hair’s breadth closer and the warhunter’s back would have been torn asunder. Alas, the man in black moved with the grace of the wind to evade the blow. Crystal edge gleamed in the firelight as it glided through the fabric of his longcoat. The tear would serve as a reminder of how close the pawn had come to death already on this battlefield...and how Akordia had underestimated her first prey. Lightning coursed through the air behind the warhunter as he countered her assault. A falter in his movement, a quick recovery, and the pawn had his arm barred across her collarbone. A lesser man would have been overwhelmed by her charge, but the man in black held firm. Against an ordinary foe, he would have held the advantage. The corners of the demon’s coal-painted lips curled into a smile. Little did he know, she was far from ordinary. He clashed with a brilhado, one of the legion born from the Mother’s own light. The veil between life and death was but a trifle to those forged in accordance to her whim.

Her prey fell back, an obsidian spike burning with crimson protruding from where his forearm had been a moment before. Burn the Bone. The scent of burnt leather and flesh in the air, Akordia surged forward to wring the pawn’s neck-

A violent force against her abdomen stole her breath. Blue-white energy split the brilhado’s vision as she was launched backwards and over the first ring of fire. She crashed hard against the clay earth, her shoulder jarring upon its less than welcoming embrace. Such speed and strength...the warhunter was no ordinary adversary either. The Pale Priestess rose to her feet, the ache throbbing beneath her skin. Across the way, the once-noble stood tall with her staff still in hand. The brilhado caught the scent of ozone as it wafted through the air. A queen after all. Akordia locked eyes with the fulgarmancer. The firelight cast long shadows across the demon’s face, her sharp features masking her visage in more darkness than light. The young one had not hesitated to act. Good. She may yet live long enough to receive her crown. But should she throw another bolt at the Pale Priestess, the caster would live only enough to regret the decision. She should be honored: a second chance at life was not one often granted by the brilhado.

There would not be a third

Keeping the once-noble at the edge of her vision, Akordia stalked around the innermost circle of flames towards the man in black. Bathed in the crimson glow, the heat worked its way through her scales to warm her ivory skin. She allowed herself to take delight in the small comfort as she made her approach. It was a luxury not often available to the Betrayer of the Veil.

“Tell me, warhunter,” Akordia commanded, her words falling as a butcher’s cleaver. “You know the scent of war?” Her right hand curled into a fist, and a small knife sprouted from between her knuckles. A sickly green shimmered in its sable depths. “But what is war? A conflict of men and kings?” A second blade joined the first, an emerald bead dripping from it’s sharp point. Clay earth hissed where the acid graced it. Across the battlefield, the pale elder was struck down by the remaining combatants. She sneered, citrine eyes glinting in the scarlet moonlight. “Gods have trembled in fear of the beings I have served. Come, show me what your war is.” A flick of her wrist was all that was necessary to send two splashes of the volatile acid hurtling towards the warhunter’s chest. A jerk of her head and a dozen needles followed.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 12
2/3/2020 23:33:36   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

Her bolt sizzled in, and the dark-garbed man kicked off Crystal-hair, a blow that sent both combatants sailing outside the first ring. He rolled with a sort of unnatural grace, coming up to one knee as he recovered. That stance afforded Ebriva a look at the scorch mark marring the long leather coat he wore, which drew a minuscule wince from the young woman.

Magic, she thought grimly. In her experience, taking a hit from a bolt would put most men on the ground. Even an indirect shot should send an opponent reeling. It could be the man was simply unnaturally tough, but that theory didn’t hold together. The way he had moved, how he had shrugged off the lightning, it argued the man either had talent of his own, or else protections against magic placed upon his gear. The Stormcaller was betting the former. He had launched himself through the air, rolled around on the ground, and yet his hat was still on his head. If that wasn’t magic, Ebriva had no idea what was. Which made him a magic-user who carried a sword, and knew how to use it, judging by the familiar way his hand settled on the weapon's hilt. Spellswords were very rare on the mainland - not that they were much more common on the islands, in truth - but if that was what Dark Hat was… this fight would get complicated.

The Stormcaller’s mismatched gaze flicked to Crystal-hair, who was back on her feet now. For an instant their eyes met, and Ebriva didn’t need to hear the woman’s voice to understand what that glance conveyed. Shadowed as Crystal-hair’s face was, the mingling of approval with warning was clear. Wisely, the Stormcaller held her silence, but she couldn’t stop the barest hint of a smirk from turning up her lips, nor could she help the impudent motion that tipped her staff in the pale woman’s direction before it swept towards Dark Hat. By all means, the gesture intimated, show me how it’s done.

Crystal-hair seemed intent on doing just that, pacing towards the spellsword and calling out to him. Ebriva was more than happy to maintain her distance from that impending scrum, at least until a better angle opened for her to intervene again. In the meantime, she looked to the other side of the circle.

There, a girl perhaps a head shorter than her, garbed in some kind of red coat and wielding a sword, was engaged with a spindly older man. There was a blur of motion at the edge of the Stormcaller’s vision and-

What is that?

Seeing it now, the young woman was not certain how she had missed it at first. Probably the mongrel's drab grey fur - admittedly useful in this dimly lit space. It was short, almost stunted, with a pair of long, wide ears like those of a rabbit, or perhaps a fox. That was where useful comparisons ended, for it moved - disturbingly - upright like a person, and gripped a dagger in either hand.

Stop gawking, start moving. Figure out what it is later. Solid advice, which she had always been able to rely on herself for - Damascus' opinion notwithstanding.

Currently the blaze of the first ring was at her back. With both Crystal-hair and Dark Hat east and north outside the circle, it wasn’t a bad place to be. Then again, the Thing, the Elder, and Red Blade were north and west of her - closer - and demonstrating their martial prowess.

A glance over her shoulder disclosed the flames at her heels, flames Ebriva had no desire to be pushed into. Crow-hopping backward over the fiery barrier, the Stormcaller landed with a slight wobble; in her left hand the rod dipped, counter-balancing her footing as her eyes swiveled back to the unfolding combat.

The Elder was down, falling under a savage onslaught from Red Blade that made Ebriva doubt the effectiveness of her proposed barrier. Light and fire had been areas where her father had excelled, but the Stormcaller wasn’t proficient enough to light a candle.

Still, she reflected, letting out a slow breath as she focused her attention on the task at hand. The other Pawns did not know she could not use the flames. And with two triads humming at her hips, maybe that was advantage enough for her to work with as the Thing turned centerward, calling on Red Blade to follow it.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 13
2/4/2020 14:18:11   
ChaosRipjaw
How We Roll Winner
Jun15

Time: Barely a minute after arrival.
Situation: Grim

Caeos Essence gripped the hilt of the Sliiker seemingly casually, as though nothing that had just transpired bothered him. Although, he noted unpleasantly, the tendons of his fingers twitched with anxiety.

This is bad.

During his reign as Grand Master, allies and enemies alike had realized that despite his taking on the position of leader of the Disciples of Crizox --- in essence as a direct servant to the daemon Crizox himself --- his emotions and humanity had not burned away, an effect typical to those who aligned themselves with evil.

This was an incredibly useful asset for three reasons.
First, it commanded respect.
Second, it ensured strangers could not easily discern his identity.
Third, perhaps most important of all, he understood instinctively what monsters such as Ghez-Reyt, Grenlock, and Akuyuru struggled with.

The one downside: he was still subject to---

No. Not fear. Anticipation perhaps.

He looked across the innermost ring of fire. The crystal woman had risen, relatively unharmed.

Unfortunately, she had not turned on the lightning caster, as he had hoped.

Caeos cursed roughly to himself, but dismissed his anger. He had been watching both the crystal woman and the lightning caster, and had noted the look the former had thrown at the latter.

He recognized the look; it was one he himself often used on “temporary” allies.

A veiled threat.

He doubted the lightning caster would strike again, given the close call earlier. Though of course, this was only a hypothesis and not necessity; just seconds ago his hopes had already been dashed. From the throbbing on his chest, he was keenly aware of how dangerous she was.

The crystal woman was approaching him. Caeos quickly ran through what he knew of her.
She is fast.
Much faster than he had anticipated. The near miss had been a result of his own carelessness; he had been too confident in his ability to dodge close quarters assassination. The tear on his longcoat would serve as a useful reminder.
She is strong.
It had taken a considerable effort to hold her back, at least in barehanded combat. Which brought him to the third point.
She spawns crystals from her form.
His right hand tightened on the grip of the Sliiker. Now he barely registered the wounds on his arm and chest, but he was still well aware of them.
He could not allow himself to touch the crystal woman at any point. Although she had only spawned crystals on her collarbone, he had to assume she could do so on any part of her flesh. Especially since she had a crystal blade growing from her left wrist.

A very unpleasant image flashed through his mind. The thought had just occurred to him, when they had locked eyes---
I would have been crowned the King of Fools if I had attempted to kiss her.

Caeos shifted his stance slightly so that he could see, from the corner of his eye, what had been going on behind him.

He did not dare turn away from the crystal woman lest he found himself on the receiving end of another attempted stab to the heart. He noted that the combatants were another woman, clothed in red and wielding a sword, and a limping, lanky man with a cane. Caeos frowned slightly; he could have sworn the man was undead, but he looked quite normal, albeit with an unusual pallor.

Not that it mattered. As he watched, the man was struck down by---

Wait. There is something else---

Too late. The crystal woman had come within striking range and he was forced to turn his attention away from the concluding battle behind him.

The crystal woman spoke.
“Tell me warhunter,” she said, or rather, commanded. “You know the scent of war?”

Caeos bristled. She was taunting him, but he was certain with his swordsman’s instinct that she was readying an attack. Almost unconsciously, the sustaining aura rose.

He was not mistaken. A miniscule movement caught his eye. Although he took care not to shift his gaze, keeping it locked with hers, in his peripheral vision he registered something sliding out of the crystal woman’s fist. Something green.

“But what is war? A conflict of men and kings?”

The sound was nearly inaudible, but it was there. It was a sound he was very familiar with. A faint hissing on the earth. Like acid.

“Gods have trembled in fear of the beings I have served,” she sneered, her eyes glowing in the darkness a far harsher yellow than the warm golden of the Golden Dragoneye.

It’s coming.

“Come, show me what your war is.” With that, she flicked her wrist.

The Sliiker slid smoothly out of its sheath with a wet splurk. With perfect timing, he caught the two vertical lines of acid as they splashed against the Sliiker’s blade. Unlike typical sheaths, the volatile meat of the mummified body allowed him to draw his sword in maneuvers ordinary swords could not match. He had drawn the Sliiker almost vertically, but swung with the flat of the blade rather than the edge. It was a tricky maneuver, but he had successfully countered a similar attack before, in the form of the Eastern Emperor Hollow Lake’s Reverb Slash. A vile hissing filled the air as the chaotic blood of the Chao’sri’p’jaw came alive upon contact with the acid.

He hadn’t allowed himself to focus solely on the acid attack. He registered the crystal woman jerking her head before he finished the swing. He remembered the crystals that lined her hair.

During the Second Campaign, he had killed a Master Piercer. The very same Master Piercer whose hairpin adorned his own hair. Piercers specialized in hidden weapons, and were usually women. Specifically, women who tended to adorn their hair with hairpins. He recognized the movement instantly.

Smoothly, he brought the blade back and twisted deftly.
He heard a faint ping as the Sliiker’s edge made contact with the first needle. He did not stop there.

Pingpingpingpingping!
One, two, five, ten, twelve needles bounced off the Sliiker’s blade as he swung the Sliiker in a full circle. It was a pity she had not decided to launch just one needle at a time, otherwise he could have reflected it back at her.

The crystal needles dropped to the ground.

“Gods trembled in fear of the beings you served?” Caeos asked idly, swinging his Sliiker one handed in a flourish. He raised his left hand and brushed back the straight bangs which tended to cover his left eye. The nervousness which had pervaded him was gone, now that the transition from memory to reality was complete.

“The beings you served,” Caeos repeated, emphasizing the plural and the past tense. “Are you nothing more than a stray, a lost pet, a plaything that those more powerful than you amuse themselves with?”

Universal vulnerabilities are shared by all. Anger, hatred, pain, and the rest. A blade knows not whose blood it sheds.

Caeos let a cold smile play about his lips. “What is war you ask?”
Caeos stepped forward with his left foot. He spoke more loudly, but kept his calm tone.

“I will answer. But first, we need to rectify a few things.”

He turned slightly, angling his left shoulder towards the crystal woman.

“You call me ‘warhunter.’ I am Caeos of clan Essence, the Grand Master of the Disciples of Crizox.”

He bent his knees into a partial crouch, although he kept his upper body relaxed. Faintly, he noted that the hissing had stopped; the Sliiker’s blood must have neutralized the acid.

“During my war, gods trembled before me.” Several unpleasant thoughts flashed through his mind as he said this. What he was now was a far cry from his true power. He was missing many of his signature attacks, and even his main asset, the Malevolent Aura, was considerably weakened. But---

The appearance of being calm is more important than actually being calm.

“What is war?” Without warning, Caeos sprang, bearing down on her, Sliiker raised to shoulder level, left arm outstretched, ready to deliver a fatal stab into her exposed neck. Without altering his tone, he spoke again.

“War is deception.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 14
2/6/2020 23:05:33   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

She never would have admitted it - least of all to his face - but Ebriva missed her brother.

Not because she enjoyed his company, which she did... occasionally. At least, when he wasn’t badgering her about training, or strategy meetings, or how to resupply their struggling insurrection. Those things, for all their earnest charm, drove her mad at the best of times. What she really missed now was his dogged and maddening insistence on always being at her back during a fight. No matter the odds, no matter the madness, there he was, shield upraised to catch a blow. It occurred to her - quite suddenly - that she had never thanked him for it.

The Stormcaller drew in a breath, gaze flicking from one side of the battlefield to the other. She held it, refocusing, contemplating. Crystal-hair and Dark Hat were in the thick of it now. The young woman had no desire - at this time - to cut into that dance. Thumbing her nose at the pale woman’s slight was one thing, actually angering her was something else entirely. Exhaling slowly, Ebriva nodded to herself. If an opening presented itself, however, she would take it. “Don’t rush,” her mother had told her during her training, “the storm always breaks in the end.”

That left Red Blade, and the Thing.

Two-on-one was poor odds. More like one-and-a-half-on-one, given its size, the Stormcaller thought with a smirk. Of course, her brother would no doubt remind her that underestimating an enemy was a swift road to decorating the inside of a pine box. Until Thing made an obvious mistake, she had to treat it like she would any other opponent. Over all else, that meant being wary of what it might be able to do in spite of its seemingly innocent appearance.

Her eyes narrowed, and a moment later Ebriva felt the welcome sensation of the center triad humming to life across her stomach. That gave her a good reserve to work with, and with Thing darting more-or-less in her direction, she had her target in sight.

“You’ll feel it, when the time is right. Wind and water, earth and sky... balanced. That perfect instant before the heavens open, giving birth to lightning.” In her left hand the fluted rod twirled, humming musically, as she let it spin through revolutions. Wait… wait… now. With a snap of her wrist she couched it - almost as though the weapon were a lance - with the stave’s butt snugged into her armpit. Her right hand, free of encumbrance, thrust forward authoritatively, index and little fingers forked in the direction of the Thing.

The tips of those fingers glowed blue-white, but only for a split-second. “You’re right mother,” the young woman whispered to herself. Skyfire came next, a snarling, ripping line of it. Tearing through the air with the stench of ozone, the line of jagged energy reached hungrily for Ebriva’s target.

“This I can feel.”
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 15
2/7/2020 14:27:59   
  San Robin
Modzerella

Bart runs towards two of the colliding fighters, The strange Lady that can only be described as an angel (although ominous, he must admit) and a young man clad in dark clothes. He takes a quick glance over his shoulders to see that the girl stops and moves away from him. Did she get cold feet? No it must be something else, this is not the movement of a scared person, it’s the confident strut of someone with a plan. “I guess I’ll buy her some time and maybe a distraction?” Bart thinks to himself.

Just as Bart starts to continue his way to the fighters he notices a flicker in his peripheral, another fighter, carrying a rod larger than herself has started movement. Followed by a strange humming sound. Bart keeps running while keeping an eye on the movement, the rod comes down and… it’s aimed at him!

Oh cra- Her hand goes up and Bart sees the crackle of lightning. “Gotta roll!” Bart thinks, dropping to the ground and tucking into a head roll. For a second it seems his plan worked and he managed to avoid the incoming bolt. But then… the smell of singed fur and a numb pain in his ear, reaching up Bart feels his ears and notices that half of his right ear is blasted off, the wound closed up by the intense heat the bolt contained. Disoriented and slightly off-balance, Bart continues to run towards the fighters. “Damn those big ears of mine! I made a rookie mistake and had to pay the price.” he thinks as he starts zig-zagging across the battlefield. “NEVER run in a straight line! Though I wonder if I’ll ever be able to run in a straight line again… it’s WEIRD missing half of my ear!“ he thinks frustrated. ”I’ll remember that lightning slinger, but for now… best to not run straight at her.”

Bart shakes his head in frustration as he goes back to focus on his target, The angel! She seems mostly unarmored and is very distracted by the boy in black. Bart grins as he brandishes the dagger in his hand. Time to have a stab at her! As he reaches the angel she’s still distracted, he pulls back his hand and brings it down with all his strength. The familiar feeling of piercing fle-*CLANG* wait… CLANG?! That’s not what it should sound like! But another noise… not like the humming he heard before and a bright light coming from the direction where the girl was. “I knew she was planning something good!” he smirks.

“Show them what you’re made of, girl!”

But then Bart notices yet another thing… The Angel is looking down at him and she’s has the smile that a killer would give its victim! “Oh… oh no!” he thinks as her foot goes backwards. Bart knows all too well how this was going to end. “Brace for impact!” He thinks to himself as the foot comes right for him! In a flash of thoughts, Bart reaches for his bombs and grabs one of his smoke-bombs dropping it just before he gets struck by the foot. “Maybe this will distract them a bit from the Girl’s plan! Happy sneezing, suc-OOF” he thinks as the foot hits his stomach, luckily it narrowly avoids the razor sharp talons as it sends him flying with great force.

“I haaaaaaaaaaaaaate this paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart!” he thinks to himself, as he flies away from the other fighters. “I just hope I can avoid hitting that burning ring of fire though…”
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 16
2/7/2020 18:15:19   
Kooroo

Deep breaths. Toyama always said that was the best way to calm yourself down. What other snippets of wisdom did he tend to repeat? Uh, let’s see… ‘Close your eyes and take deep breaths’ was a common one. Remaining calm and composed was far more important than giving in to anger. Slowly count to ten, that was one of his favourites. ‘Empty your mind’ was another...

Yura spat and walked faster, letting the magic flow freely. All that advice sounded like he had learnt it during a budget meditation course. What a load of rot. Emptying your mind was easy for morons like him; if there wasn’t anything in your mind to begin with, then you had much less work to do. Thinking too much became the problem. And closing your eyes when there were people trying to kill you? What sort of genius had thought that one up? If she’d closed her eyes when that plasterboard, scraggly-haired, lanky-limbed pervert had tried to clobber her, then he’d probably still be around, harassing the other combatants.

Actually, no. Better question; what in the Six Realms had happened to Toyama? Had he managed to somehow escape the castle? Maybe he’d been caught and thrown in a cell? Or had they just cut him down? Was she in the market for a new retainer? No, that was pretty unlikely. The guards had been trying to detain them, so Toyama was probably fine. There hadn’t been anything particularly dangerous swung or flying at them, had there?

A mental image of Hanabi’s attempt to atomise her immediately flashed before her. The corner of her mouth twitched and her glare turned hard.

God, Yura hoped he was fine.

The crimson moon hung above them, gazing down upon the fighters like a deity made manifest. Screams and cries of an unseen conflict drifted to her ears, making her scowl in distaste. She’d never been on an actual battlefield before. The sounds were… were certainly something. Normally when she beat people up or cut them to bits, there wasn’t much screaming. She usually tried to limit that or keep it clean, for Aoi’s sake. Though to be honest, Aoi would probably be fine with the screaming as long as a) Yura was there and b) she was causing the screaming. What a strange child.

It was somewhat liberating to not have to worry about her or Hiroki in the crossfire. That had always been one of her primary concerns. Right now the only thing she had to worry about now was about keeping herself in one (relative) piece and somehow getting out of this place before too long. One of the last things she wanted to do was to make anybody worry by showing up to camp late.

Except Seigi. He could worry all he wanted for all that she cared.

The young delinquent reached the second ring and paused, her introspection unfinished. If there ever was going to be a time for it, then this was probably it. Not a great deal of time for thinking during a punch-up; things just sorta happened and Yura usually just went along with it. That wasn’t to say she always ran around, picking fights willy-nilly; those days were long since past.

Ever since her father had died and the Lady’s regime had come into power, Yura had made a conscious effort to take things more slowly and to be a bit more open. That was pretty much the only reason she tolerated Seigi, honestly. Her father had been a champion of the people, afterall. A ‘bit’ uptight and overly critical of his children, but he’d been a good man. She may not have gotten on that well with him—or most of her family, honestly—but she still missed him. The least she could was uphold some of his principles and live up to some of his more reasonable expectations of her.

Yura regarded the band of flame briefly before she ducked under it, straightening and pivoting on the other side. Her magic had mostly been exhausted now, with the majority of it released into Zensen. All the Lance needed now was that final extra push.

Aside from the knife-rabbit, there were three other combatants she’d have to deal with. An emo goth-man with a large coat, an emo goth-woman in a set of punk armor, and lastly, a woman with a staff. One of these was not like the other. The black-clad fighters were locked in combat, performing a violent—and edgy—dance routine just outside the innermost ring. Yura’s shinobi-rabbit ally was heading towards that group; hopefully to act as a distraction.

And now, it was time for the tough part. The flameborn gritted her teeth and inhaled, squaring her shoulders and bracing her feet for the force to come. Her fist rose to level with her shoulder and she opened her palm. Yura exhaled, focused her dregs magic and pus

There was a sharp retort from the right, and lightning streaked towards the Ninjabbit. The soft creature rolled and came up good, zipping towards the dueling-and-dancing duo. So the plan went on ahead then. The delinquent snapped a scowl at the rod-wielder, then turned to her grisly task.

This was the hard part.

Yura focused and then pushed. Her left ear flared with a burst of pain, which went as soon as it came. There was a piercing snap, not unlike the sound of cracking glass, followed by a rising hum as the flameborn’s world erupted into light and flame. A brilliant, magical shine pierced the gloom, as the Scarlet Lance’s radiance mirrored the brightest star. Pulsing waves of flame raced down her arm, the heat searing into her being. She bared her teeth and endured the agony, eyes set dead ahead.

There was an explosion, and then an eruption of smoke from her targets’ feet.

She snarled and moved, twisting and thrusting Zensen into the air. The Scarlet Lance screamed towards the pair of duellists, its luster building as it flew. It disappeared into the smoke, followed by a flash of scarlet light.

Then the ground shuddered and vast, crimson pillar of flame erupted from the smoke.

Yura didn’t bother to see the carnage, opting to gasp and rub her smoking arm instead. No matter how many times she threw that thing, it never got any easier. Granted, she had probably faired better than the average person, but it wasn’t hard to imagine someone getting toasted just by holding it. That made her wonder what kind of monster could possibly handle such a thing.

But that was enough of a break. She had a feeling that the two overly-edgy fighters wouldn’t have been done in so easily, but she wouldn’t have taken it any other way. The days of her picking any and every fight were over, but she still maintained a policy of taking on all challengers.

With a miniature Kimizan in hand, Yura darted back into the bounds of the second ring and moved, running swiftly in the towards the energy thrower.
AQW Epic  Post #: 17
2/7/2020 22:31:19   
Apocalypse

The imp hanging at the warhunter’s side screamed in silent torment as the brand was ripped free from its sheath. Stained deep with cobalt, garnet, and mauve, the blade whirled to catch the streaks of acid mid-air. Gnarled hands stretched and clawed at nothing in the billowing mist trailing the sword. Blood curse, Akorida surmised as the jade greeted the bruising colors tarnishing the sword, feasting upon them to leave the brand blander than before. With a flourish the steel cut every needle from their furious flight. One by one they clattered to the ground, leaving another attack unfulfilled. Akordia flicked her eyes to the other combatants. Beyond the burning ring, the storm mage remained neutral to their quarrel; her efforts seemed focused elsewhere now that six had become five. But with pawns falling, that peace would not, could not last.

The Pale Priestess returned her eyes to the warhunter, who also had taken the moment of repose to scan his surroundings. Watchful eyes surveyed the battlefield before returning to her. His poise remained resolute - unshakable - though there was no doubt he was ready for another assault. With a sense of casuality, the man in black brushed his hair from his face. His visage now exposed to the crimson moonlight, the brilhado could discern the warhunter’s finer features. The pawn was but a youth and either had not seen enough battles to be scarred or skilled enough to ne’er be struck. Had he elected to pursue combat, Akordia would have supposed the latter. Yet the warhunter opened his mouth, and Akordia stood as a mountain against the howling wind. Titles. Insults. Heresy to gods of one and all. In the same breath that the warhunter ridiculed her servitude in faith he boasted his laurel of ‘Grand Master’ among a fellowship of disciples. Such arrogance. Such hypocrisy. He was less a vetted warmaster and more a half-bled pup who could twirl a sword and expected all to prostrate themselves before him for doing so. Had she deigned to Devour every vicarious whelp who spun such tales, why, even The’galin himself would have been sated.

What drove the young to such madness? Did they truly believe the world existed between the horizons of dusk and dawn? Gaze out upon the wonders of the countless stars scattered across the night sky. Travel the infinity of those number and discover the host of worlds harbored by each of those astral bodies, every one not unlike that left behind. Look skywards and witness the canvas painted in the heavens above; no two alike and each containing its own limitless possibility. Countless stacked upon innumerable, infinity toppled onto itself.

Then dare the claim of rivaling the One who Created it all. And the One who shall Devour it. Only madness beyond understanding could cause such thinking. It would be a mercy to deliver one from such insanity.

“Gods tremble before you, disciple?”, Akordia cried. The self-proclaimed Caeos of Essence hurtled forwards. Steel that was neither straight nor curved tore through the air to impale her throat. Akordia arced her own blade upwards, her laugh striking like shattered glass. “Come show me then.” Her scimitar met the brand a hair too late, not soon enough for a full parry. The brilhado jerked her head to the right. From the exposed ivory skin on her neck burgeoned a sheen of violet masked within sable. Steel sheared through crystal, and the Pale Priestess felt the faintest of bites against her flesh. “Show me the power of a god!” Her hand curled into a fist. Twin knives dripping with emeralds lashed out at the whelp’s hip. “Show me why you deserve to be Devoured!

Once again the pawn eluded her, dancing out of her grasp with unnatural ease. Her knives caught naught but coattails as he twisted through the air and over the flames. The demon turned to pursue her prey when a pressure to her calf accompanied by a soft clank caught her attention. Below her stood a furry grey creature: mouth muzzled by a mask, smoke rolling off its mangled ear, and a humble dagger sitting in its confused grip. Almost as disappointing as the disciple. A swift kick caught the little rat in the stomach and sent it sailing towards the battlefield’s center. An explosion of smoke consumed her before the wretch hit the ground. Eyes stinging and weeping, Akordia swept backwards to distance herself from her immediate adversaries. An inconvenience. It will- , the Pale Priestess thought before a shrill shriek assailed her ears. A beam of radiant fire burst forth from the artificial fog to erupt against the clay earth in a blinding fusillade. The brilliance of the violent conflagration was matched only by the din of the arcane wonder. For the second time that day Akordia was thrown off her feet. She hit the ground hard, the impact of head upon crystal upon clay jarring her head enough to almost make the clangor in her skull to go unnoticed. Almost. Her aching body strained against her, burnt flesh still smoking from the esoteric blaze. The pain began to well within her as the Pale Priestess hoisted herself onto her feet. It appeared the Betrayer of the Veil had no shortage of enemies on this battlefield.

Good. A shudder of anticipation washed over her. Body screaming in protest, Akordia Truenight bounded forwards and over the innermost ring of flames in pursuit of prey. She was all too familiar with the sensation keeping the pain at bay and pushing her onward.

Not vengeance.

Not hatred.

Hunger.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 18
2/8/2020 13:18:28   
ChaosRipjaw
How We Roll Winner
Jun15

Real Location: Stronghold of the True Disciples
Time: A few days after Caeos’s departure
Situation: Tense

She sat on the balcony of the Black Pagoda, watching the snow fall. Aside from the mournful howling of the wind, one might describe the silence as peaceful.

“Lady Truthspeaker,” a gravelly voice whispered behind her.

“Speak,” she said, without turning around.

“To where has the Grand Master departed?” the voice asked roughly.

“It is not your business to know, Third Master,” she responded curtly.

“Ah,” sighed the Third Master. “So you do not know either.”

“Mind your tongue, One-Eye,” came a voice from the shadows, sharp as an assassin’s dagger. “The Grand Master may have left the True Disciples under your command, but you test your authority.”

The Third Master stirred, turning towards the sound of the voice. “Need I remind you, Grand Mistress---”

“Enough.”

The Truthspeaker spoke softly, but immediately both of them abruptly went silent.

“You are correct, Third Master,” she continued. “I do not know where the Grand Master has gone.” She raised her hands, palms spread. “He has even taken the Sliiker with him.”

The Third Master’s one eye, iris as white as Caeos Essence’s, widened in shock. “Impossible.”

From the shadows came a hiss of surprise. “He takes the Sliiker yet brings no one with him? Not even you?”

The Truthspeaker turned back to the scenery outside. “I do not know where the Grand Master is,” she said in a low tone, “but I do know this. This is no ordinary journey.”

She looked up into the sky. Here, so far north, the sun rarely ever penetrated the clouds that blanketed the sky, but the ambient light reflected off the ice and snow, resulting in a dreary world that was not quite night, not quite day. There were no stars in this sky.

“If he does not return, then he is dead.”

Time: A few minutes later
Situation: [Expletives in an unknown language]

Caeos rolled and was back on his feet in an instant. He breathed deeply, his heart thundering.

His clothes were smoldering but his rolling across the ground would have put out any fires he could have caught. Fortunately, he had put just enough distance between himself and the explosion.

The Gravity Shift had narrowly saved him from being on the receiving edge of a blade covered in acid. He had launched himself off the ground, spinning in midair to evade the deadly blow to his hip.

Alongside the memory of the counterattack surfaced the memory of the Sliiker and its patch of steel.

He had assumed initially that the Sliiker had neutralized the acid. Now it seemed that perhaps the acid had neutralized the Sliiker’s poison instead.

Caeos sheathed the Sliiker. Yet another tool weakened. Although he hardly ever relied on the Sliiker’s poison to kill his opponents, it irked him to think that she had narrowly avoided a painful wound by the Sliiker’s edge.

He blinked the stars out of his eyes and gingerly pressed his palm against his right temple. There was a ringing in his ears, likely a byproduct of the explosion’s shockwave, although the sustaining aura would let him mitigate the effect somewhat. The attack had come from behind, with a shriek and an explosion similar to an artillery strike like the rocket weapons Hollow Lake’s army used. If he had attempted to grapple with the crystal woman, he would have likely been blown apart.

My hat.

His hat had remained firmly in place despite the tussle. Which reminded him of one other thing.

No. The armor is not necessary yet.

As soon as he had charged, the thought had occurred to him that maybe, maybe this had not been the smartest of moves. Neither was antagonizing the crystal woman; she had not reacted to his taunt with anger, as he had hoped.
He should have realized immediately from the manner in which she spoke. Fanatics and zealots were always difficult to manipulate emotionally; they were always arrogant and condescending.

Those who do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them.

Although he had not acknowledged it before, he was forced to concede: he had let the first attack against him infuriate him, driving him to retaliate. Launching an assault before fully realizing his surroundings had been a poor decision.

Caeos’s fists clenched. The third time's the charm.
It was time to put his newly learned lesson into practice.

Quickly, Caeos’s gaze flicked across the battlefield. He was kneeling in the center circle of fire once again, slightly off center. To his left, a geyser of fire was blazing against a screen of smoke.

Caeos frowned, his mind racing as the pieces began falling into place. He remembered vaguely a popping sound that had gone off while he was spinning away from the crystal woman’s counterattack. That pop had occurred before the blast, and the plumes of smoke looked more to him like the result of a smoke bomb rather than fire. He remembered the sense of foreboding as he had surveyed the battlefield minutes earlier, as well as the sense of something amiss when the pale man had been struck down.

He noted the red-clothed girl on the other side of the ring of fire. The lightning caller had not moved from her spot. Caeos remembered faintly, a flash of light in his peripheral vision as he was charging the crystal woman. An attack, not aimed at me---

There could only be one conclusion.There was another combatant, somewhere in this battlefield. Somewhere---

Like a few feet away from me.

It thudded against the hard-packed dirt. No wonder he had missed the creature. It was small, maybe the size of a rabbit. Its size, coupled with its grey fur, would have made it difficult to discern in the dimly lit battlefield. He would have mistaken it for a wild animal, except for the face mask and belt that it wore.

One of its large ears had been wounded, smoke still curling from its scored edges. So, this was what the lightning caller had been aiming at. The creature must have attacked the crystal woman, and presumably she had kicked it --- he doubted it would have been able to survive the explosion --- into the center ring.

Kill it.

Caeos pulled up his neckwarmer so that it covered his mouth and nose. It would be a bit harder to breathe, but he would rather not inhale poison --- or whatever it was the smoke bomb had unleashed. His left hand moved and gripped the Sliiker instead, ready to draw in a moment’s notice.

The crystal woman, it seemed, had gotten to her feet. In a single bound, she leaped over the innermost ring of fire.

Kill it now.

Instead, Caeos spoke.

“Little creature,” he said conversationally, “do you understand me?”
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 19
2/10/2020 0:59:20   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

The line of skyfire rippled across the battlefield in the blink of an eye. Her target threw itself into a roll, perhaps thinking to dodge the strike. But lightning was an unforgiving teacher, and it showed him his error shortly. The Thing came up with admirable tenacity, continuing his charge despite the hit, though half of one of its large ears had been blasted away. Going for Crystal-hair, or Dark Hat. Not a bad choice. Harder to hit it with others getting in the way. It could hide, for all the Stormcaller cared. She had other concerns and the pale woman could take care of herself. Ebriva still had to deal with Red Blade.

And she had… walked away?

Red Blade glared at the Stormcaller from the other side of the second ring of flame. Which might be dangerous, if only looks could actually kill. She also held out a hand, though it was hard to make out what the motion meant behind the shimmering veil of heat. What was the swordswoman playing at?

There was a lance in her hands.

Rearing back, the woman cast the dart, which flew straight as an arrow, dazzling bright and howling in a supremely unnerving fashion. Unable to look away, Ebriva’s wide-eyed gaze tracked the shrieking projectile until it crashed into the melee northeast of her and detonated in a scarlet blaze that whipped and shredded the haze of smoke surrounding Crystal-hair and Dark Hat.

Ebriva blinked, sure that the wavering light of the fire was playing tricks on her vision. One moment Red Blade’s hand had been empty, the next it was curled around a lance that bore its own inner conflagration. But that… that wasn’t possible. Over the years the Stormcaller had seen many different kinds of magic, but never something like this. How could you pluck a weapon from the aether?

The Stormcaller’s mismatched orbs flicked from Red Blade, to the impact point, and back as she drew in a deep breath. That was… That was incredible. With such a power, why would she even use a sword in the first place?

I certainly wouldn't bother, Ebriva smirked at the thought as she turned slightly, reestablishing her grip on the butt of the stave with her right hand as she considered the question. Red Blade was coming at her now, slipping under the second ring and charging. But why? If she could stand at a distance and throw weapons that could burst into flame, why chance getting in close? An instant later, the answer dawned on her. She can’t. She can’t do it again.

“Unless it’s a feint,” doubt whispered in Damascus’ voice, but the young woman huffed out a laugh, blowing that thought away. No one really wanted to get in a fight at close range, not if they could help it. The problem with being near enough to hack your enemy apart with sharp-edged metal was that your foe got the same opportunity out of it. That was why mages and archers preferred doing business from the edges of a conflict; seeing incoming threats and disposing of them before they closed was so much... tidier.

Which meant if Red Blade was rushing her, she could not summon the weapon again for some reason. Either because the lance had been consumed in the explosion it had produced, or because her opponent did not have the power to conjure a second such dart. In that case, barring other proficiencies she had not yet demonstrated, the swordswoman would be confined to using-

The sword she wasn’t holding. Ebriva’s eyes narrowed, and she focused for a moment on the stones about her waist. All three of the triads hummed still. Enough for now. Red Blade had pulled the lance from the air - she must do the same with the sword. A neat trick, but the Stormcaller was ready for that now, and she had more than enough of her own to reply.

This time liquid flowed along the rod's graven surface, coalescing into an aqueous bolt. Though it wobbled slightly as it broke away, the hydrous projectile still flew, and the belt's center triad stilled as the shot sped towards Red Blade's knees. Knocking her off-balance - or even toppling her into the first ring - wouldn't be so bad an outcome

Her foe responded by jinking to the left - wisely away from the fire - and rolling out of the path of the incoming shot. The globe of water splattered against the hard-packed earth, hissing into steam where some of it contacted the first ring. A miss was not the worst thing in the world. At Ebriva's waist the left and right triads were still active, and now Red Blade was still, the dodge having halted her forward momentum. Got you. Ebriva’s lips twitched into a feral grin as lightning surged through her hands and into the metal, discharging in a second bolt that arced through the distance to her opponent.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 20
2/11/2020 14:53:38   
  San Robin
Modzerella

“Incomiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!” Bart landed with a roll. Back in the middle, back to where he started. Ok so the Angel has armor… good to know! Next time: Bombs! He thinks as he brushes the dust off of him. “That was some kick though, I hope I’m away from people for no- ” “Little creature, do you understand me?” Bart freezes for a split second. The Boy in Black was right in front of him. With one hand on the handle of his weapon. “Has NOBODY here heard of Moglins?” Bart thinks slightly annoyed.

The boy in black’s voice sounds… neutral. But his eyes. Bart has seen eyes like that before. They’re the eyes belonging to someone who had a lot of notches on their belt and wouldn’t hesitate to add another one to that. definitely not someone to sass. “I understand what you’re saying.” Bart says. “I can’t say I understand your fashion sense though... ”WHY DID YOU SAY THAT?! His mouth had once again outsped his brain. Now how does he get out of this?

He could of course try to act all innocent but he has no way of knowing how much the boy saw him do. Bart grins as he puts one hand on the handle of his dagger and one near his bombs. “But you don’t strike me as a person who’s here for friendly conversation. So… What do you want?” The Boy in black looks ready to rebuttal when suddenly, a shadow shimmers above them, followed by a rain of sparks and a strike against the boy! The kicking Angel is back!

Once again, Bart rolls out of the way not certain on what effects the sparks could have on him. while he rolls he catches a glimpse of the Angel, she looked more damaged than before. “So blades don’t do much, but explosions are still effective? Good to know! ” Bart thinks to himself, reaching for his explosives. They may not be the strongest but they still pack quite a punch! Bart throws the bomb at the Angel and without looking if it hits, he goes in towards the now distracted boy in black. Grabbing his poisoned dagger, ready to slice at his legs the second he sees a chance to.

The time of hiding is over!
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 21
2/11/2020 22:15:37   
Apocalypse

Knees buckling upon impact, the brilhado staggered forward after landing back in the innermost ring. The hellish inferno was gone but the pain still festered; even now, the heat of the flames was enough to reawaken the burning agony. She buried the urge to claw and rake at the invisible spiders crawling across her form with their searing legs and sucked in a breath. The taste of ash filled her mouth and clung to her throat. Her lungs burned. Still partially blinded by the initial smokescreen, Akordia glared through the watery lens of her vision. Across the flames her tormentor fled. Wearing outlandish clothes that would turn no sword, she arced around the ring to hunt down the storm mage. A tactful mind, having targeted several combatants in one fell swoop. A foolish soul, pursuing another enemy without finishing the ones she had just made. The Pale Priestess rapidly blinked to flush the tears from her eyes. The flamecaller had drawn the ire of the Ravenous Seeker, but her retribution would not be meted out just yet - after all, she had not been the first to cross the demon this day.

Flaxen eyes turned to the pawns before her. The man in black was conversing with the rat, no doubt to obtain his aid in the battle to come. Make gods tremble but commune with vermin. Akordia spat out a mixture of blood, spittle, and smoke as the taste of iron filled her mouth. Her throat was raw from the effort, the muscles within them having spasmed up against one another. She clenched her mouth shut to mask the strain. The Pale Priestess had been stalked by numerous agents of the Network since her ‘betrayal’, and she had dispatched of each and every one. But in those occurrences Akordia had been prepared. She had known her enemy. Such luxuries were not provided on this battlefield. Cutting down her adversaries with relentless passion would be the surest path to victory. No doubt her enemies would do the same to her.

Akordia hissed as a knife glowing with ember fury joined its emerald brethren. Flesh burnt raw throbbed beneath the searing blade, but the brilhado bit down and endured the pain. Jagged talons scraped against clay earth as the Ravenous Seeker bounded forwards. Her body screamed in protest with every step. Her entire being yearned to halt, to falter, to submit and take a reprieve in this field bathed in scarlet. Teeth grinding against each other, Akordia focused on her next creation. From her left elbow sprouted a thin crystalline blade, curved but as thin as a rapier. Viridian liquid pooled within the ebony. I am naught but a vessel of the Mother.

Her scimitar blade rose, arm reared back to deliver a decisive blow.

In the midst of war, I am her Witness.

Her right arm crossed over her torso to find the left. Crystal imbued with flame sparked upon kissing that ingrained with strength.

In the face of heresy, her Herald.

A shriek pierced the battlefield as the scarlet crystal was dragged along the scimitar’s length. A shower of sparks erupted from the union of ruby and amethyst, launching the cascade upon the vermin and the whelp. For a brief heartbeat, the center of the battlefield was alight with their brilliance. As the cinders fell, Akordia plunged her scimitar towards the disciple’s sternum. To be skewered and roasted on open flames would be his demise.

As the blade roared forwards, there was a scuttling at the edge of her vision. A projectile soon followed. Akordia twisted her body too late as a modest orb blossomed into a burning sun against her hip. Obsidian scale protected her from the flames but not the rampant incalescence unleashed into the open air. As a wildfire raced along her side to set the nerves ablaze, she bellowed, “In your name, I CRAVE.”
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 22
2/11/2020 23:46:08   
Kooroo

It had been three years since Kashin Toyama had been inside Tengamine Castle. While he was relieved that its interior seemed intact, he didn’t care for how its current resident kept it mostly unlit. It shouldn’t have been a huge issue, but it didn’t sit right with him. To keep the sacred palace shrouded in shadow seemed sacrilegious to him, but it was also a matter of safety. Loathe as he was to admit it, old retainer’s eyes weren’t what they used to be; the retainer could barely see anything in the murk and was at constant risk of colliding with something.

His captors didn’t seem to share his sentiment, nor safety concerns. It was baffling how they could escort him through the blackened maze of corridors with such swiftness. Granted, Hanabi’s luminous eyes and glowing adornments probably gave her enough light to see. Toyama’s other keeper, the towering Yamazen, shed considerably less light, but Toyama hadn’t heard him make misstep yet.

The retainer had thought that they would take him to the throne room. But instead, the pair brought him to a long, spiralling staircase that wound up and around an elevator. Toyama didn’t understand why they didn’t take it, but dared not raise his complaint; Hanabi was grumbling busily to herself and Yamazen deathly quiet.

Exhausted, the old man dropped to his knees after finally reaching the top. Something in the air changed, however, and his kneeling soon became a full saikeirei bow as Hanabi and Yamazen stepped to the side.

A female voice spoke to him, low and commanding. “Lord Toyama. Maybe you will provide the answers I seek.”

A ray of light shone on him and the old retainer glanced up. Five pairs of glowing eyes gazed at him from around the chamber. A high backed chair sat not five meters in front of him, flanked by a pair of maids. It’s occupant was obscured by the gloom, save a pair of crossed, knee-high boots and a sheathed katana.

Toyama licked his dry lips, heart catching in his throat. The tension in the room was suffocating; it was as though the air had turned to treacle. He cleared his throat and spoke, with far more bravado than he felt. “Lady Kurouji, I am most hum—“

“Shion,” the voice cut him off. “You may call me Shion, Lord Toyama. I will permit it.”

He blinked against the light and started again. “Lady Shion… My apologies. To what do I owe this honour?”

“You and Akabane were on Tengamine’s grounds. I would like to know why,” Shion said calmly. “For the sake of your companion, I suggest you tell me the truth. I will know if you try to lie.

“My… companion?” Toyama frowned. After watching Lady Yura and her friends disappear into the Gate Tower, the retainer had quietly given himself up. There hadn’t been anyone else that had accompanied their group to the castle. “I‘m afraid I don’t—”

Lady Kurouji gestured, cutting him off with the slightest movement of her sword. Another figure was pushed down next to him; an exhausted young man with slate blue hair. Toyama’s eyes widened when he recognized the other captive.

Hiroki. Lady Yura’s friend and young Aoi’s guardian.

Every second was worth an age in a fight. Each heartbeat could equate to several years depending on its outcome and the rest of your life could hang in the balance. It could end right there and then, or it could be extended by decades. Even the smaller, trivial confrontations—such as bar brawls and street fights—could leave a lasting impression. A wayward piece of glass, a stray bullet or an awkward fall; all of these could drastically change a person's independence or capacity.

The stakes tended to be higher against mages though. Each second gifted to a magus could be the difference between them crippling or felling you with magecraft. Alternatively, each second you spent close to them usually resulted in free orthodontic work for the sorcerer. It all depended on who hit the other first and whether they hit them hard enough.

None of these thoughts flickered through her head as she rushed her target. Yura hardly needed any further reminder. Violence and the immediate reaction to respond with it were practically instinctual to the fallen heir. Not the best traits or skillset you wanted in a seventeen-year old, nevermind royalty, but it was one of the few things she was good at.

Instead, most of the flameborn’s concentration was focused on simply getting to her target, just so she could do what came naturally. Admittedly, a small, especially wayward part of her mind was already thinking about swapping the caster’s mismatched eyes around in their sockets.

But there were a few, small details that got through to her and boy, did they tick her off. The sparky moron’s stupid smirk and chortle were at the forefront. It wasn’t as though Yura needed another reason to rearrange the mage’s outlook, but those two small actions rubbed her the wrong way. She’d make sure that was her last laugh.

The energy witch brought her staff to bear, angling it towards the flameborn. A clear, wobbly sphere flew from it and Yura immediately dove to her right. She braced her arm and rolled on it, coming up in a low crouch. The magus’ orb splashed on the ground harmlessly, blossoming into a cloud of steam. Water. So thunder wasn’t her only trick, huh?

The delinquent glowered at her foe, who returned it a crackling, scum-sucking grin. Wait, a crackle?

Lightning leapt up, through, and then from the mage’s staff and Yura immediately pictured the knife-rabbit’s smoking, stump-of-an-ear. The creature had survived the encounter, but not any better for wear.

That wasn’t going to happen to her. She refused to let it.

With a roar, the flameborn pushed off her heel and twisted, swinging the rematerialised Kimizan across her body. The flat of the Ruler’s End struck with a resounding snap, deflecting the bolt towards the center ring and its hat-toting inhabitant. It hadn’t been intentional—she’d wanted to reflect it back at the smug little mana dispenser’s face—but the slightly-toasted pretty boy was almost just as good a target.

Yura didn’t bother watching to see if the redirected lightning would connect. The crimson blade dropped into her left hand and she bounded onward, murderous intent clear in her eyes.
AQW Epic  Post #: 23
2/12/2020 0:22:16   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

Her bolt hurtled toward Red Blade, a seething ball of blue-white skyfire. More than enough to put the slip of a girl on her back.

What happened next… was like being on the receiving end of one of those bolts.

The swordswoman pivoted and screeched, sweeping her empty hands in a sidelong, warding swipe. Yet her hands weren’t empty, for her blade was back; its flat made contact with Ebriva’s lightning.

And the bolt flexed.

It happened so swiftly that another might have missed it. The Stormcaller did not. She knew lightning, knew how it moved, knew how it acted. It did not behave like this. Instead of discharging into the metallic surface and grounding out through her opponent’s body, her projectile was actually deflected, rebounding off Red Blade’s weapon as if it were a… a ball rather than the energy that made it up.

With an entirely wrong snap - like someone breaking a board in half - the redirected bolt rocketed away, winging centerward. The young woman didn’t even notice where it was going. She couldn’t look away from Red Blade, even as her foe recovered from the deflection and charged.

“Before you go looking for revenge, girl, best dig two graves.”

Heat from the first ring played over Ebriva’s skin, a marked contrast to the ice creeping down her spine. Keffra had been the temple’s healer, of an age with the Stormcaller’s mother. She yet lived, so far as the young woman knew, but her last memory of the curandera was of standing in the doorway to Keffra’s workshop and telling her that she and Damascus were leaving.

She had wondered then when Keffra had gotten so old. Old and frightened, hiding among her roots and decoctions. It seemed silly, really. Ebriva had come to ask the healer for her help, only to find she was another appeaser. Another of the cowards willing to turn the other cheek, to turn a blind eye to Earlon’s atrocities so long as he stayed on the mainland and took no more from them. The Stormcaller couldn’t do that, not any more.

“Get used to digging then, girl.” The older woman had replied without so much as looking up from the herbs she was grinding. “Simple minds make simple plans, but only fools think them enough.”

Confident, certain in the purity - the righteousness - of her decision, Ebriva had scoffed at that. One grave was enough for her; one shallow grave, fit to receive the self-appointed Hammer’s corpse before the scavengers dug it up and feasted on it. She had told Keffra as much as she left.

The Stormcaller had never given that second grave much thought over the years.

Amid screams and cries, smoke and flame, with Red Blade rushing at her now… It seemed much more real.

“Prove or die,” the Watchers had said.

Firelight glimmered along the edge of her opponent's blade. At Ebriva's hips, the left and right triads hummed their silent support in defiance of her foe's murderous expression. But the staff in her hands wavered, and it rang discordantly as its tip impacted the ground. Prove, or die.

“Prove yourself a Queen.”

Was it Crystal-hair’s voice? The pale one had never spoken those words to the young woman. Really though, it didn’t matter. The grave might be yawning open… but the Stormcaller would be damned if she was just going to step into it. Not while Earlon still lives.

Red Blade - apparently - could deflect bolts, so Ebriva gave her something harder to counter. Lightning snarled as the Stormcaller’s rod whickered up, rising left to right on a course that flashed across her opponent’s charge from knee to shoulder. A wave of skyfire crackled in its wake, angled to drive the swordswoman away, into the first ring.

At her right hip, the triad went silent. If the arc wasn’t enough…

“Don’t concern yourself with maybe and what if, daughter.” Her mother’s voice, placid as the ocean, as the calm before the storm. The young woman smiled, she couldn’t help it.

After all, according to all the stories her mother had done some crazy things too.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 24
2/12/2020 12:44:39   
ChaosRipjaw
How We Roll Winner
Jun15

Time: Almost immediately after the explosion
Situation: Sticky

Caeos almost burst out laughing at the creature’s response: “I can’t say I understand your fashion sense though.” Admittedly, the longcoat and hat looked somewhat ridiculous in public nowadays --- he had a different wardrobe for that purpose --- but it was very well suited for travelling. His face twitched as he suppressed his mirth, lest the pounding in his head overtake him.

However, any humor he was feeling vanished instantly at the creature’s next statement: “But you don’t strike me as a person who’s here for friendly conversation. So . . . what do you want?”

Caeos was about to reply when the tension exploded into violence as suddenly as a Hellwind elemental bursting into motion.

He had noticed the red-hot glow a split second before sparks rained down on him and the creature. Despite having pulled up his neckwarmer and having the hat’s brim protecting his face, he was momentarily blinded by the sudden light.

The crystal woman was practically on top of him, sparks flying, lighting up the gloom like a brimstone daemon, crystal sword lunging for his heart again. There was an explosion as the crystal woman’s side was set alight, even as she was roaring pretentious nonsense. Out of the corner of his eye, he fleetingly registered that the creature had thrown what looked like a bomb at the crystal woman, and had drawn its dagger, ready to lunge at his legs.

Distracted by both, he raised his right arm to block the crystal blade a fatal fraction too late. Although he managed to knock the black crystal scimitar aside with the back of his palm, it still pierced the leather and cut into his right shoulder.

For the first time in a long time, Caeos acknowledged what he had been feeling all along.
Danger.
Fear.

No choice.

The sustaining aura faltered, and the air suddenly felt like a heavy drape had been thrown across it.

Oppressive aura.

He could already feel his strength draining, definitive proof that the Malevolent Aura had been considerably weakened ever since he had crossed into the Chequered City and this battlefield. But it would be enough. With the sustaining aura gone, he was nearly knocked off his feet as the ringing in his ears intensified, and he could feel the intense throbbing of untreated burn wounds on his chest and forearm.

With a roar, he focused the oppressive aura into a repulsive blast that sent the crystal woman flying---

Not. Incredibly, she had grabbed him by the throat, even as the repulsive blast had slammed into her.

At the same time as he vented the oppressive aura, with his left hand, he had ripped off his shirt and longcoat with practiced ease.

The Eldritch Armor immediately materialized into existence as soon as his outer garb was off, the space manipulation spell dissipating as the clothes that defined its boundaries were gone. His hat dropped to the ground as the accompanying helmet materialized around his head. Although he had only torn off his upper clothing, they were still secured to his waist by the belt so that they fell to his sides like a very long kilt.

Splinters of pain tore up his shoulder as the crystal blade ripped itself out, displaced by the armor’s materialization. Fortunately, the sudden appearance of armor had also loosened her grip just slightly, enough for him to take a deep ragged breath. The ordeal had drained him badly. He was about to enter Battle Meditation when he noticed in the distance, the red-clothed girl had whipped out a sword out of nowhere and reflected a bolt from the lightning caster, which was now headed right for him.

The entire scuffle had taken far too long. There was no time to dodge.

“Back off, little rogue,” Caeos called to the creature, as his center of gravity suddenly shifted, throwing him backwards with the crystal woman on top of him.

In what felt like centuries, as the lightning bolt flashed toward him, he closed his eyes and felt the energies of heaven and earth.

The lightning bolt struck.

BOOM!

Caeos was blown off his feet. His heart skipped several beats and he gasped, feeling his hair stand on end. His muscles twitched involuntarily from the shock.

The lightning had hit both of them, blasting them from each other. The voltage spike had electrocuted him, but the glancing blow to his chest from earlier had built up his tolerance. The extra resistance provided by two targets rather than one was also a plus.

Caeos hit the ground hard on his back and promptly went limp. He wasn’t sure what had happened to the crystal woman or the creature, but for now, he laid still like the dead and breathed. He wondered if anyone would actually believe he was dead, but it didn’t matter; he could use the rest. Conveniently, his left hand had dropped across the hilt of the Sliiker, which was still sheathed.

Breathe.

Caeos groaned inwardly as his sustaining aura slowly reasserted itself. The throbbing from his various injuries slowly faded, although they lay like bruises in the back of his head.

The bad news: he was injured and almost exhausted. The third time was the charm, and he had not actually escaped the third time he had been tag-teamed. It had been foolish to dally for so long with the creature. Back in his world, if he ever found himself in such a sticky situation, he would have retreated. Unfortunately, with walls of fire holding them in like rats in a trap, fleeing was not an option.

He could imagine Akuyuru and Ghez-Reyt laughing at the sight of him, the Grand Master, lying as though dead on the ground, overpowered by opponents he would have ordinarily made short work of. The thought of the Shadow Lord and the dark general made him think about his Truthspeaker and the Grand Mistress, both of whom were waiting back at the Northern Mountains.

He wondered if they would ever know what had happened---

No. I can make it out of this.

The good news: he now had his armor on. And most importantly---

I am still alive.

He just hoped he would stay that way.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> =WPC 2020= Hellfire Battlefield
Page 1 of 212>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition