Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

set element lock?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> set element lock?
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
5/2/2020 3:55:38   
dragonofchaos

(I'm intending this to be a discussion, rather than a complaint, or anything like that, which is why i'm putting it in the discussion forum.)

does anyone else find it weird, that after all this time sets are still element locked?

for example, if you found yourself fighting a paladin, you might equip your paladin armor, because that will be the most effective at keeping yourself safe, and then a necromancer weapon to make you deal the best damage, and vice-versa if fighting a necromancer. if you fought the paladin with full paladin gear you'd not be taking, or delivering much damage, and again, vice versa. and finally if you fought the paladin in necromancer equipment you'd be taking, and dishing lots of damage. so the factions...kinda aren't well 'equipped' to fight against each other. if I was a necromancer in the game i'd be running around with light armor on, since the servants of the light are always harassing my faction lol.

honestly the only example from the game I can think of off the top of my head is the sinmaw gear, since the armor is equally effective against energy or water, when facing a water enemy you shift the shield, and equip the weapon. but otherwise there's not, like, an earth set, with a wind weapon as it's set weapon.

which further sucks because of the set bonuses that are almost never viable to use.

< Message edited by dragonofchaos -- 5/2/2020 6:42:50 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 1
5/2/2020 5:29:50   
Ryu Draco

Actually, it makes a certain amount of sense to me. Look at it from this perspective: We are The Chosen. We aren't sworn to a certain deity or realm, we don't crusade against one faction exclusively as zealots. We are the Champion of Lore and The'Galin. Balance is core to our character, and the way we fight expresses that. We arm ourselves with Light while coating ourselves in Darkness. While Necromancers and Paladins devote themselves to a certain path, our options are far more diverse. It's perhaps one of our greatest advantages, that we can adapt to our enemies strengths and strike at their weaknesses. We fight for Unity.
AQ  Post #: 2
5/2/2020 6:52:31   
Demistic

Think about it this way: We as heroes are "different" from the average resident of Lore, but we must use magics and technologies developed by the average Lorian. If any old farmer or blacksmith on Lore could pick up a Nemesis plate and go out the with a Heatwave Sabre to kill a bunch of Ice Dragons, or go out and batter Carnax to death piece by piece, then who would need us?

EDIT
It's the old adage: if everyone is "special," then noone is special.

< Message edited by Demistic -- 5/2/2020 6:58:03 >
AQ DF  Post #: 3
5/5/2020 23:40:28   
red vector

Gameplay & Story Segregation.
Look at Nightbane vs Wolfwing: They both do Darkness damage, but they also have negative resistances to Darkness. That fight should've gone on forever because all they'd do is heal each other.
Akriloth forced the Plasma Dragons to serve him, which undoubtedly required violence, but Plasma Dragons have negative resistance to Fire.
Or the Asgardian Set. Svadilfari barely gets any sleep because he has to deal with so many challenges for the throne, but his negative resistance to Energy means Energy monsters could attack him all day and he'd never die.
While elements and resistances determine everything in in-game battles, narratively, they don't mean nearly as much. Reignbringer may be a Fire weapon, but it's still a sharp metal sword. Narratively, if you swing a sharp metal sword at a Fire monster, it's still going to die. Paladins and Necromancers undoubtedly have methods of countering each other's spells, but if they actually get hit in an actual battle, they're going to have a bad day no matter what they're wearing.
I get what you're saying, and why you intend this to be a discussion, but the simple truth of it is Gameplay & Story Segregation.
Also, full-set bonuses exist BECAUSE they require you to use the full set in suboptimal conditions. That was brought up during the Reign & Shadow Sets update.
AQ AQW  Post #: 4
5/6/2020 1:07:37   
Legendary Ash

Are you aware that Rainbow Raygun can be used to scramble resistances until it is weak to the same element it deals, which makes full set bonuses much more viable.
There are also naturally occurring enemies that are weak to its own element namely the Reverse monsters from Absolix Saga, enemies that have flat resistances and Undead Paladin that attacks with Light/Dark weak to Light.
AQ  Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> set element lock?
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition