Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=DF= July 3rd Design Notes: Arena at the Edge of Time: The Conduit Part 3

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> =DF= July 3rd Design Notes: Arena at the Edge of Time: The Conduit Part 3
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/4/2020 2:38:29   
  Peachii
Clairvoyant!

quote:

Verlyrus:
Arena at the Edge of Time: The Conduit Part 3

Hey there, heroes!

This month's Arena at the Edge of Time challenge has arrived! It's time to face the final challenge on The Conduit board: Duty & Rebellion!

Face the legendary champion of light, Illumina, and the lost-to-time Intaym to upgrade the Summon Gem: Illumina, and earn the Summon Gem: Intaym!

Do you have what it takes to defeat them both? Or will you crumble under the weight of responsibility?

Head over to the Inn at the Edge of Time to find out!

Oh yeah! The collection of Fourth of July weapons is now availabel for the month of July from the Book of Lore! There's a ton of them, so make sure to give them a look and see if there are any that you like!

Also this week, we have a bunch of bug fixes.

• Chi Bomb: Now properly capped at 100% Charge. Extra Mana cost reduced by half. (Max 250, down from 500).
  • The Reliquary : No longer re-locks the subsequent floors of the Exaltia Tower.
  • Dying Light: Fixed an issue where the player could get stuck if they went backwards.
  • Fixed an issue where shrinking enemies would not longer be able to be affected by allies in battle. On a related note, shrinking enemies no longer changes their names.
  • Fixed a bug where certain DragonLord customization pieces were not locked properly.
  • Are Rocks Evil: Fixed the bug where the guest was not added if you used the cutscene skip button.
  • Fixed Undefined resistance on level 10 Valoroth weapons.

Also, as a reminder, with Flash no longer being supported by browsers in the near future, makes sure to check out the Artix Games Launcher!

And that's all for this week! We hope you are all doing well in these uncertain times. Stay safe and healthy, and remember that it's okay to take breaks!

Having trouble with any fights? Have feedback about recent releases? Have any crazy theories or ideas? Want to discuss all things DragonFable?

Join the discussion on the official forums!

Want to play DragonFable without using an internet browser?

Check out the Artix Games Launcher!

Follow us on Twitter for sneak peeks and updates (and feel free to tweet us your fan art and feedback too!)

Verlyrus Twitter

Tomix Twitter

Tags: Verlyrus
DF AQW  Post #: 1
7/4/2020 6:57:26   
Flabagast

Eyy I've been looking forward to this one! Illumina was my favourite summon gem.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 2
7/4/2020 9:18:54   
10speed12

Is there any reason that the old 4th of July weapons, like Fidelitas, Freedom, and rest with specials haven't made any return appearances lately?
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 3
7/4/2020 14:28:13   
  DemonicDarkwraith

ArchKnight DragonFable

Really fun release! I remember putting Illumina as my trinket slot back in the old days and I always think that fighting Summon Gems would be cool for the Inn. Intaym was really cool as I loved his design and animations and the figuring out the mechanics for him was really fun as your number of successful hits against him changes his flow. On the other hand, Illumina is cool mechanically, but she drags the fight so long as she have a When shield that unlike When and Dolaas, she punishes high Bonus classes like Epoch and Chaosweaver plus Assistance Dragon combo this time around and not to mention that she have a once per battle full heal as well as that your missed hits makes her effects really strong.

As for The Conduit board, while the rewards aren't amazing, it makes up for a fun mix of difficulty and mechanics.
DF  Post #: 4
7/4/2020 16:50:17   
Kurtz96

Illumina has been changed so now -all resist also triggers the damage reflect. Technomancer still works pretty well though.

Now on to the duo. Not sure which one to focus on first. Intayum does more damage but otherwise isn't a threat while Illumina does little damage but is very annoying.

< Message edited by Kurtz96 -- 7/4/2020 17:24:05 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 5
7/4/2020 22:41:22   
AstralCodex

I'm a big fan of this level of difficulty - the fight is difficult and mechanically interesting, but not as punishing as IE or PanEX. I also like that both Illumina and Intaym need to land multiple hits to apply the blind/mark, which really reduces direct hit variance.

As for the Duo, it's been done with Eternal Epoch, Underworld Epoch, Technomancer, MSW, Cryptic, and DeathKnight (though note the 44 minute time on DeathKnight). The strategy is always to burst down Intaym, then grind out Illumina. Epochs are sad because they're stuck casting Chargeburst over and over.

Unfortunately, while the Chi Bomb prompt has been changed, I'm still being charged at the old rate for mana. :(
DF  Post #: 6
7/5/2020 0:17:35   
Kurtz96

In the technomancer video, how is he changing equipment and therefore MP (to get the drive boost) without re-calibrating?
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 7
7/5/2020 0:45:30   
AstralCodex

Drive boost only recalibrates when you use an offensive skill. Changing to -health, drinking a potion, then changing back preserves the drive boost.
DF  Post #: 8
7/5/2020 5:46:52   
Dratomos
Helpful!

Managed to defeat the duo with Epoch. Challenging and a bit time-consuming but very worthy final set of challenges to the Conduit board. I still remember finding Illumina ~7 years ago. Great release as always!
DF AQW  Post #: 9
7/5/2020 13:53:11   
FMan

Defeated each of them alone atm, gonna destroy those 2 with Technomancer when Ill have time for this. ( compared to: " The Balance " its nothing ) .
For those who might wanna remmber technomancer tricks ( I saw some video when the guy fight ineffectively ) , low mp isnt bad with techno ( dont be afraid to get into low numbers ) , but what is more important is to use vent to prevant Illumina from healing ( thats how I destroyed her , no food , no 5 pots ). Also a note to do it when it counts etc, it breaks her ( and attack when she doesnt have the reflect damage, breaking her all resist etc ).

Just a note to say- many challanges lately got anti CW mechanics, yet when it doesnt really worth it ( In IE for example, I wouldnt use CW even without that, wont use it in 2 out of 3 condult board without the anti CW ) , and it ruins other classes with high number of hits per skill ( Assendant , SWOT etc ) , and pretty much made the inn a place for Technomancer only ( challanges wise ).
In short what I would like to point is that CW isnt even the first choice for those challanges regulary, yet hes being countered in a way ( which might be fun in 1 ~2 challange, not really if its gonna be every challange ) which he doesn't deserve which makes him almost unuseable ( yes, I have seen a video of him at the first condult challange/ lately saw that some1 published CW in the IE, never saw it though ) but it just means that he CAN do it while being nerfed, by a spesific guy whos super pro ( and Idk even how many tries he had ) , while that guy would complete those challanges ( without the cw nerf ) with another class ( like techno/ other class you might think about ) with way more ease. Also that guy killed Unraveled EX with base rogue, so him owning challanges isnt reallly something we can take as the casual player .

So please, important to note to not nerf him every time, it just blocks the abillity to use CW in the inn / other classes who share some similarities with him ( and kills the CW pretty much except the super pros with the very BIS and a lot of free time to give it some shots ). also its way less fun that way . ( positive building critic ).
Post #: 10
7/5/2020 15:34:40   
AstralCodex

I wouldn't say anti-hit count is just an "anti-Chaosweaver mechanic". If anything, the super annoying part of Equilibrium for ChW is the combination of high damage and null DoTs, which render Aegis very coinflippy to use. I'm not a ChW expert by any means compared to Simeon, but I've also beaten that fight with ChW ( video here). This challenge is actually okay for Chaosweaver, because Gambit gives 200 bonus to get around Illumina's shield ( example video here). If anything, the main victim of anti-hit count mechanics is Archivist, who can't stop hitting multiple times even if they wanted to.

I'd also personally be 100% in favor of more fights that ChW is bad in/can't do - I think the class is quite overpowered and outshines a lot of other classes in the hands of a skilled user.

I do agree that we've had a ton of anti-hit count fights recently, and it'd be nice to have a respite. Of the most recent five challenges, four have had anti-hit count mechanics: Duty & Rebellion, Inevitable Equilibrium, Tainted Time, and Life//Death. (Though note that IE's Hatir requires a high hit count.) I've personally had quite enough of this specific mechanic, and I'd prefer challenges without this mechanic for a while.

As for this specific fight, I really wish the MPM shield Illumina had was just a little smaller after she revives - if it were 150 or so, the fight would be significantly more viable for other classes, and wouldn't feel like such a class check (does your class have +100 bonus?).
DF  Post #: 11
7/5/2020 16:48:23   
TFS
Helpful!

^Illumina still has a downtime on her shield, if you don't have enough +bth it's still a viable option to just focus all your damage into bursting her every 5th turn while her defenses are down.
Not to mention that +100 Bonus can be slapped onto any class in the game anyway by using Baby Dragon, lol.

The reactive anti-hitspam mechanics that have been on the past few challenges are a seemingly anti-meta trend that, from my point of view, serve to discourage using many of the upper echelon of classes (Chaosweaver, Archivist, Epoch, Riftwalker, etc) while making a few more under-used classes like DeathKnight, Necromancer, or solo Pirate viable options for more challenges. Combine this with the Evil resistance that's been handed out like candy to punish the likes of Kathool Adept (or to a lesser degree DoomKnight) and there's a definite attempt at varying up the metagame by altering the puzzles the player has to solve rather than the tools they're given to do so. The only real flaw here is that the outlier classes that are super strong without relying on high hitcount (Cryptic and Technomancer) aren't punished at all but I imagine we'll eventually get a challenge that breaks that trend.
So, no, I wouldn't call Illumina's reactive shield a specific anti-Chaosweaver mechanic as much as it is a way to punish the classes and playstyles that as a whole are easy for players to default to. Discouraging meta classes (and easily splashable strategies revolving around fishing for on-hit weapon procs) feels more like an attempt to give other classes/playstyles a chance to shine than anything else.
DF  Post #: 12
7/5/2020 20:32:58   
Kurtz96

At this point, technomancer can probably be considered a meta class. It is consistently one of the top options for these challenges.

While the Anti-hit mechanic is ostensibly to give less popular or lower tiered classes a chance to shine, it also punishes classes like Shadow Walker of Time which rely on multiple hits.

Now that the Conduit board is over, I would say I enjoyed these fights. The rewards were a little underwhelming though. I don't think I will be using any of these trinkets in the future.

< Message edited by Kurtz96 -- 7/5/2020 23:59:46 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 13
7/6/2020 2:03:45   
quickgold123

Pretty neat challenge overall; I really liked how both Illumina and Intaym need multiple hits for their effects to occur (blind and mark respectively), which means direct hits can still be a thing, but aren't that punishing. Interesting to see an actual anti-multihit mechanic with Illumina; didn't expect that myself.

I personally am on the fence about these new challenges with anti-multihit mechanics. While multihit-heavy classes can abuse on-hit procs like ice scythe and BoA/quadstaff to do much more damage or heal up nicely, it does feel a bit restrictive in terms of what classes can be used. Admittedly, up until this challenge, quite a few multihit classes could still bypass the restrictions by stacking enough bonus, so those fights weren't as restrictive as they seemed at first sight. I wouldn't mind seeing a return to challenges without this mechanic, but it doesn't affect me too much either.

None of these challenges are fights that I would consider anti-ChW specifically though - for example, they don't have permaDoTs to prevent use of Aegis.
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> =DF= July 3rd Design Notes: Arena at the Edge of Time: The Conduit Part 3
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition