Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=DF= July 10th Design Notes: Fear Engine: A Serious Encounter

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> =DF= July 10th Design Notes: Fear Engine: A Serious Encounter
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/11/2020 0:33:09   
  Peachii
Clairvoyant!

quote:

Verlyrus:
Fear Engine: A Serious Encounter

Hey there, heroes!

This week in DragonFable, we have the beginning of a new quest chain, written by Inanitas: The Fear Engine! You're walking through the countryside when you're greeted by the strange but somewhat familiar sight of a person being pursued by... invisible monsters?

It seems the Phobeist is still around, and it's up to you and your new companion to find out what she's planning!

You can access the quest A Serious Encounter from the Book of Lore if you've previously completed the Thorns saga.

Also, some bugfixes and adjustments!

Adjustments:
  • DragonLord shields are now +180 Avoidance, rather than Defense. Patience and base DragonLord shield duration reduced to 2 turns, down from 3.
  • The Radiant Leech has had its health and damage reduced.
Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed inconsistencies in Necromancer skills with intended effects and between Necro Paragon and Necromancer.
  • Fixed a bug where Ayauhnqui's Hibernation would not properly reflect damage if it had no effects on it previously.
  • Fixed a bug where Drahr'Dolaas's Worn Weapons debuff affected Bonus and not Crit.
  • Fixed a bug where Mega Meowphant did not properly have its resistances.
  • Fixed a few typos where Lhe'Shyiac was mispelled in the quest "Ex Somniis Fabula"
  • Tentatively fixed a bug where Pandora and (Ex) used the wrong HP threshold for subsequent Sloth phases.

Also, the 25% bonus Dragon Coin sale has been extended until the end of July!

Have theories about the story? Feedback about recent releases? Having trouble with any fights? Want to discuss all things DragonFable?

Join the discussion on the official forums!

Want to play DragonFable without using an internet browser?

Check out the Artix Games Launcher!

Follow us on Twitter for sneak peeks and updates (and feel free to tweet us your fan art and feedback too!)

Verlyrus Twitter

Tomix Twitter

Tags: Verlyrus
DF AQW  Post #: 1
7/11/2020 0:46:29   
Primate Murder

Good humor and interesting monsters? Sign me up!
AQ DF  Post #: 2
7/11/2020 1:01:19   
RageSoul

*Sees new character's name and quest title*
Heh.

Also, the DragonLord buffs are pretty welcome!

EDIT: Missed the shield duration nerf, the net protection under the assumption of no successful crits received is much better due to the duration in general compared to complete avoidance but only 2 turns.

< Message edited by RageSoul -- 7/11/2020 2:35:15 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 3
7/11/2020 3:32:19   
Siedgrief

Why the big nerf to DL? (is there a reason? i thougth DL was already balanced). DL as a T3 Defensive class IS supossed to be good at it and the only defensive skill that was 100% reliable is (was) DDS, this nerf just hurts DL too much (even more in multi battles) since DL has long cooldown and it all takes you to miss 1 of the other defensive skills (LDS, FDS, Bash)and the whole cycle is broken.
Reconsider this nerf and make it be 3 turns (a distintive thing that DL has over other classes) OR at least change DL patience to 3 turns (since its an Artifact and a expensive one)
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 4
7/11/2020 4:05:05   
AstralCodex

I'm not sure you understand the BPD -> MPM change. It wasn't a straight nerf. If anything, it's intended to be a buff. Going from BPD to MPM is a huge improvement. No more eating a crit and having your shield fail, no more dying to chip damage. I'm not sure how the change shakes out overall, but it certainly makes DL much more viable in recent Inn challenges.

It does mean that PDL is not as good for Dominion (which prefers a BPD shield), but a BPD -> MPM is a massive improvement for fights with autocrit nukes such as the Inevitable Equilibrium duo, as well as a nice buff in the many, many fights where a lucky crit would've wrecked your run.
DF  Post #: 5
7/11/2020 4:21:18   
Siedgrief

quote:

I'm not sure you understand the BPD -> MPM change.
I do understand how MPM and BPD defenses work, and i totally agree with the change of that. My concern is the cooldowns, as i said in my post DL has long cooldowns in general and it only takes you to miss one of the other defensive skill and you are pretty much vulnerable for some turns (even more now).
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 6
7/11/2020 5:38:44   
Dratomos
Helpful!

Very enjoyable release. It is nice to have a new storyline, and I guess this happens before the Gala?

quote:

I do understand how MPM and BPD defenses work, and i totally agree with the change of that. My concern is the cooldowns, as i said in my post DL has long cooldowns in general and it only takes you to miss one of the other defensive skill and you are pretty much vulnerable for some turns (even more now).

You can still use your pet dragon's shield or a trinket that shields for example. This realy isn't that big of a nerf you make it out to be. Or use equipment that gives a high resistance so that you can survive that one turn you are "vulnerable".
DF AQW  Post #: 7
7/11/2020 7:35:17   
LigerBeard

I agree that the humor of this quest was an unexpected breath of fresh air!

However that's going to have to come in second to the return of the Phobeist! Though I am curious about what they are up to.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 8
7/11/2020 20:23:58   
Siedgrief

quote:

You can still use your pet dragon's shield or a trinket that shields for example. This realy isn't that big of a nerf you make it out to be. Or use equipment that gives a high resistance so that you can survive that one turn you are "vulnerable".
Well from my point of view this is also a "problem" so with this logic im "forced" to train my dragon to be defensive instead of having the freedom to train it offensive to make up de dmg that DL lacks and im "forced" to use a defensive trinket, this is never a good thing in rpgs, the class should be good on its own (im not saying its bad, but with this nerf its definely not to t3 standards as i see it with the arguments ive given in my previous posts, why would i choose DL over any other class right now? DL has been my main since i started bc i like its concept and art and this is just a let down to me).

AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 9
7/11/2020 20:38:26   
quickgold123

DL hasn't been that good a class for most of the recent challenges precisely because of the BPD shield, as quite a few bosses have a lot of crits, which is why I like this change. Also, you're not 'forced' to respec your dragon into a more defensive playstyle or anything, since DL has many other good defensive skills (Earth Dragon Spirit, Light Dragon Spirit, Frost Dragon Spirit). Considering these other defensive skills, one less turn of shield doesn't change that much either. It's only a nerf for Dominion really, and I'm fairly certain patience DL can still do that challenge, albeit with some more difficulty.
Post #: 10
7/11/2020 21:44:38   
Siedgrief

quote:

DL hasn't been that good a class for most of the recent challenges precisely because of the BPD shield, as quite a few bosses have a lot of crits, which is why I like this change. Also, you're not 'forced' to respec your dragon into a more defensive playstyle or anything, since DL has many other good defensive skills (Earth Dragon Spirit, Light Dragon Spirit, Frost Dragon Spirit). Considering these other defensive skills, one less turn of shield doesn't change that much either. It's only a nerf for Dominion really, and I'm fairly certain patience DL can still do that challenge, albeit with some more difficulty.
I know im not forced to do it, i was just responding to his argument, as for why i dont agree on the duration nerf i responded that on my post above
quote:

since DL has long cooldown and it all takes you to miss 1 of the other defensive skills (LDS, FDS, Bash)and the whole cycle is broken.

Look im not like how dare you touch DL, im just saying that the nerf to this especific skill is my opinion unnesesary for all my given arguments, my suggestion is return the shield duration to 3 turns (keeping the MPM buff) but reduce the duration of the Blind effect on LDS to 2 turns (so it blinds for 2 turns instead of 3).
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 11
7/12/2020 4:54:38   
Dratomos
Helpful!

quote:

Well from my point of view this is also a "problem" so with this logic im "forced" to train my dragon to be defensive instead of having the freedom to train it offensive to make up de dmg that DL lacks and im "forced" to use a defensive trinket, this is never a good thing in rpgs, the class should be good on its own (im not saying its bad, but with this nerf its definely not to t3 standards as i see it with the arguments ive given in my previous posts, why would i choose DL over any other class right now? DL has been my main since i started bc i like its concept and art and this is just a let down to me).

I am also "forced" to train my pet dragon in mischief since Chaosweaver's guaranteed stun was taken away. I am also "forced" to train my pet dragon to be defensive instead of having the freedom to train it offensive to make up de dmg that DL lacks since guests' stun don't last longer than one turn. But I don't see those as bad changes and I like figuring out new ways to deal with monsters after those changes. Having freedom to have any kind of build with any kind of class makes the game more boring and makes every class less unique.

Balancing happens and this certainly is not a bad one. For example you can also use Pet Chimera to get that 3-turn shield for yourself. Adapt first and don't start complaining about this being a nerf. I've told you three ways how you can overcome this change and your "argument" sounds more like "I had only one playstyle with this class and now because of this change it is ruined completely and I don't want to figure out a new one so change it back".

And with 600 points trained in your dragon, it can still give you a shield and still be very offensive in battles.

< Message edited by Dratomos -- 7/12/2020 4:59:22 >
DF AQW  Post #: 12
7/12/2020 9:12:12   
scifijimmy

An fun start(if terrifying) to a new quest chain, and it will be interesting to see where it goes from here. However, where will we find the quest chain once it leaves the Book of Lore?
AQ DF  Post #: 13
7/12/2020 17:41:39   
TFS
Helpful!

BPD -> MPM is a notable buff for a class with many other defensive options, despite the duration nerf; but even with this buff DragonLord still isn't the best thing ever compared to more recent quote-unquote "Tier 3" classes. You're both right.
DF  Post #: 14
7/13/2020 2:39:01   
Vaalirus

@scifijimmy

Considering Phobeist first appeared during the Thorn Saga perhaps the full quest chain will pop up under a new quest option from Ash? Or the quest chain might be found through the travel map like the Nest or First Weaver sagas were respectively. Or there might be an object, or NPC (like Uaanta), to interact with to obtain the quests much in the same manner of the Spy saga or the cube that contained the quest that had Lock and Key in them before Archive-E 189 took place.
DF  Post #: 15
7/13/2020 3:18:06   
Siedgrief

quote:

I am also "forced" to train my pet dragon in mischief since Chaosweaver's guaranteed stun was taken away. I am also "forced" to train my pet dragon to be defensive instead of having the freedom to train it offensive to make up de dmg that DL lacks since guests' stun don't last longer than one turn. But I don't see those as bad changes and I like figuring out new ways to deal with monsters after those changes.
well thats your opinion and i respect it, but i have my own and i stand by what ive said, on the CW nerf you had the oportunity to talk/argue about it, did you do it?.

quote:

Having freedom to have any kind of build with any kind of class makes the game more boring and makes every class less unique.
This totally makes no sence, how having the ability or options to try multiple builds makes it boring and less unique? its totally the oposite for me, if the class did good on its own (ignoring pets/guest/trinkets/etc since not all players use them all, i personally prefer to have no guest most of the time) it makes it more fun for me because i have the option to try diferent builds and combinations of gear, guest, pets, etc; with your point of wiev every player has to have specific gear and use specific guest/pets for every specific class and no freedom at all; Necro/ninja/Sw/DS/techno/pally/pirate with all these clasess defensive, ofensive and mixed gear variations are all viable (offensive its the best for most of them, but a defensive ninja/necro/techno even SW still works and those are on the ofensive side). i think we all agree that no one want a OP class that does everything alone im not asking for that. Moving the duration nerf to the blind balances the class to defensive t3 standards (in my opinion).

quote:

Balancing happens and this certainly is not a bad one. For example you can also use Pet Chimera to get that 3-turn shield for yourself. Adapt first and don't start complaining about this being a nerf. I've told you three ways how you can overcome this change and your "argument" sounds more like "I had only one playstyle with this class and now because of this change it is ruined completely and I don't want to figure out a new one so change it back".
i didnt come here rushing to complain, i tested for a few hours after the release and a few hours in the morning next day. i dont agree with the nerf on the duration so im gona say it, argue about it, give my opinion about it, after all thats what the forum is for, isint? im just giving my suggetions on how it should be handled, after all, the final desision its on the dev.

quote:

but even with this buff DragonLord still isn't the best thing ever compared to more recent quote-unquote "Tier 3" classes.
exactly.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 16
7/14/2020 5:13:02   
spirit of greed

We didn't get much action in this quest but it's the first was so it's a given. So far we met the new character and realized Phobeist is the main villain this time.

The monsters are really creepy and cool congrats whoever made them. So far it looks interesting. I like story releases but these months story quests became really rare ( i know DF got a small staff ) so i was glad when i saw this week's release.

I wonder how frequent will these qusts be? A release every month, 2 months? Or it will get a random release every once in awhile???
DF AQW  Post #: 17
7/14/2020 8:39:23   
Vikken101

@spiritofgreed

In general on a regular 4 week month, we get two story quests a month. Usually the second and third friday of the month. One main story release and one side story release, usually written by one of the part time side writers. Subsequently since its not their main job, releases of their saga's (Fear Drive, True Mortal, Shears Part 2, Six Heroes, etc) can be quite sparatic because they need free time to make them. In additionm the main df team has talked about before giving those writers equal time for their releases, hence spreading them out. Whichis why we very rarely get subsuquent releases of the same saga two months in a row or more.

So yeah, it might be a little while until the next Fea Drive release.
Post #: 18
7/14/2020 16:08:23   
Dray

Let's talk about the Feargeists! Their design is really quite lovely. I've seen 'em before, of course, but the first time I played through, I was kinda speedrunning the story, so I guess I didn't get all the symbolism.

Here's a reminder as to what they look like!

quote:

> So, obviously, there's the ice. We know we're afraid of being encased in ice again after Aegis did it to us that one time.

> Jaania is pretty terrifying, in a sort of "madman with a mission" kind of way. It's pretty obvious why we'd fear her, given she was (is?) able to make Greenguard willingly turn themselves over to everything we fought to protect them from.

>The roses and the Feargeist's body also represent our fear of the Rose, or what it represents. We do not fear that we cannot "beat" the rose. We fear that, one day, the Rose will make Greenguard/Battleonia/Lore no longer want us to beat them.

> Serenity/Caitiff are pretty prominently displayed on the front of the Feargeist. Caitiff was a truly terrifying foe, but if the maddened wails and gnashing of teeth that the fandom exhibited during the Black Winter War (and ever since, really) have told me anything, it's that fear of failure in another war is a very real fear for players, not just avatars.

> Kathool Achoo's eyes are displayed on the upper limbs. Understandable, given that the Water Orb Saga was the very start of the canonization of our fears.

I'm certain there's more here, though. What's the significance of the bloated face under Serenity's? Why the jawbone-like scythe hands? We've fought tremendous amounts of undead--which particular one did the ribcage body come from? And what about the purple and black color scheme? Fun questions, I think. What are all your thoughts?
Post #: 19
7/14/2020 17:12:22   
LigerBeard

@Dray: I'd also like to point out that, considering that Jaania was the one who froze us to begin with, the hero might fear her for her sheer magical prowess as well.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 20
7/14/2020 19:41:07   
TFS
Helpful!

I interpreted the Feargeists' appearance as more as a fear-of-failure type of thing, due to Serenity's presence (rather than Caitiff's) at the forefront of the design. The protag failed to save Serenity in the same way that they failed to escape from Jaania's icy prison and failed to save Greenguard from the Rose. This is compounded by the first Feargeist quest last year, where the hero's greatest fears are shown to be Draco trapped in a block of ice (reminiscent of both Jaania's and Caitiff's exploits) and being frozen in place while Sepulchure's dracolich eats the sun / attacks faceless masses. The common denominator to all of these situations is the protag's failure to protect the people around them - especially those they care about. Or at least that's how I saw it.

< Message edited by TFS -- 7/14/2020 19:42:08 >
DF  Post #: 21
7/14/2020 22:34:22   
Vaalirus

quote:

And what about the purple and black color scheme?

Typically if a being is donning the purple and black aesthetic there's a good chance they are attuned or affiliated with the Darkness element (Darkness elementals, Voidstar, Dragon Drakath, etc) though not necessarily the Doom side of the element which is often red (or close to red) and black. So perhaps the Feargeists take on these colors because the hero already associates them with the Darkness and the hero might have some subconscious related fears regarding the constant problem child of all eight elements.

Although I kind of doubt this explanation since it seems to make more sense for the Phobeist draw upon the red and black scheme for subconscious scares considering how much of an issue the Doom/Shadowscythe faction of the Darkness have given us so much more grief over the years much more than say Neutral Dark and the Mysterious Stranger's dragon form, within the exception of his red eye, appeared purple and blue in his outline much like everything else in the illusion and Phobeist's power.

The void is another such example where we see beings with the two colors but I doubt that Feargeists are affiliated with the Void.

The other potential holders of the purple and black scheme might be those whose nature's are evil in origin although the only examples I can think of at the moment that fit this idea is Aspar when he was hiding his true nature as Envy and again when our spirit looms appear black and purplish when we equip a weapon with an evil element. Though it is noticeable that a lot of Phobeist's attacks are purple and black and are considered evil.

Another possibility is that devs just chose to use the colors for funsies and the scheme is just simply how they look. :P
DF  Post #: 22
7/20/2020 18:59:51   
Lord Alsvinich

So I was away last week and didn't get to play the quest when it was highlighted. Where do I access it now?
Post #: 23
7/20/2020 19:50:10   
AstralCodex

Talk to the mist near Cysero's shop, if you've finished the Thorns saga.
DF  Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> =DF= July 10th Design Notes: Fear Engine: A Serious Encounter
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition