Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =EC 2020= Forge Arena

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> RE: =EC 2020= Forge Arena
Page 2 of 2<12
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/27/2020 1:44:05   
Necro-Knight

R’thazz smiled as his inky substance flash-froze to the clone’s surface and promptly shattered with the rest of it. A clever rouge, he had to admit, and he was learning so much about this feline creature’s ability that he hardly cared about the how at this point. Of course, the end goal was still to feed upon the knowledge and warmth that ran through her core, somewhere within. Climbing up to his feet, he kept his wings spread wide as he began to move towards the woman, the light from the molten stone behind him silhouetting his grotesque form with a malicious aura. The motions were sluggish and meant to inspire an even greater sense of dread, like a predator trying to seem larger to its prey, and quite simply, R’thazz was larger than her. Their forms may have been similar in size, but the sheer magnitude of his mental power dwarfed her by leagues.

His aquatic ally seemed to have regained his mental faculties as well and was now whirling around on the drained woman. Even through all that resistance and fighting, R’thazz could see the tendrils of dark power coiling around her head and neck. She wouldn’t be able to see them, of course, but the affect upon her mind would be no less tangible. He didn’t need to pierce his way in to her mind to see the doubt, the dread… eventually, either her mind would shatter under the crushing depths of madness weighing down upon her or the mental exhaustion would compound with the very-obvious physical one. Once that happened, R’thazz planned to take his time with carving the sweet, dripping knowledge from her mind and savoring every mouthful.

As he slowly moved in on his next meal, R’thazz felt a message drop into the vast, stormy waters of his mind and ripple like a fisher’s line breaking the surface. The beast wished the living woman for himself, to tear her asunder with those jaws? R’thazz considered it a waste but he could perhaps let the monster have its fun while he dealt with the enigma that was the human man lying limp on the stone floor. Spry nature, earthen magics and feline tendencies. The surface of the woman was known by him, at this point anyway, but the man… he was an anaomaly, an unknown variable in the endless equation of the cosmos and R’thazz suddenly found himself gripped with raw need. The man had not spoken, acted or barely even moved since all of this began, so only the great yawning abyss knew what feasts of intelligence he had writhing around within his skull.

With almost child-like excitement, R’thazz adjusted his movement to start just going around the woman, wings curling forward as he pushed a small portion of mana from his soul out into them. Ice crystals formed at the knuckles where the wing split into its leathery membranes, the shards lengthening into a fine point that would be more than sufficient to crack bones and sever flesh. Still, he did not wish to chance either the woman getting in his way or his ally failing once again to kill his prey, so as he moved, the Frozen One locked his gaze upon the feline and spoke, voice deep and guttural, as if he was gargling a foamy throatful of seawater as he forced out each cursed, eldritch word.

“Ymg' uaaah ah mgepr'luh. Ymg' ahthrodog lw'nafh'nahor ng mgfm'latghnah. Shtug’h ah fhh’thn ot nilgh'ri ahf' mgah mgleth. H' ahmggoka, gof'n, ng ymg' ahornah mg mgah'n'ghft soluth’gn ph'nglui orghting.”
“Your cause is lost, drowning… you feel it. You grow weak and cold... such is the fate of all who resist the Truth. Accept it, child, and you may yet find solace in oblivion…”

With every bubbling word that he spoke, their meaning crashed against her mind like furious waves against a ship, each one cresting higher than the last as he increased the volume in attempts to distract her. Once the shark creature snapped into motion, R’thazz followed, curved around towards the right and twisting his shoulders as he brought his wings-tips down in a violent slashing motion towards the man’s sternum, aiming to pierce directly into his core and seek the truth lying there in as his mouth began to salivate. No truth was beyond the reach of the abyss.
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 26
7/27/2020 7:28:48   
Fionnes

Circa panted loudly and tiredly as she recovered from her defensive manoeuvre; making that clone really took a toll on her body, as she could feel the grains of sand slowly brush off her body as she stayed on all-fours, gasping for breath. The trickle of mana, gifted from the earth that she touched, was sufficient to keep her moving, but perhaps not enough to keep her alive for much longer. The Sandcat felt her core pulsate quicker under the stress of the moment, a forewarning for Circa to take evasive survival measures. She had lost her katana in her feeble attempt to buy time, and was left with only her nunchaku by her side. “Cupris, I’m sorry…” she mumbled quietly, regretting her decision to let it go.

She watched as the shark tore right through her mirage figure; the dread only kicked in deeper as she imagined that was herself being shattered into oblivion. Her core palpitated faster, shivers running down her body. Circa could hear the echoes of madness get louder and louder; concentrating on making the right decisions was only straining her mind evermore. She could feel the darkness once again attempting to crash down upon her, and it was only a matter of time before her survival instincts kicked into gear. I can no longer save you, human… please… please, just wake up! She begged for the human to regain consciousness, yet they still lay motionless, completely exposed to the approaching dangers. Had Circa’s evasive movements caused them trauma? Did they have a concussion… did she cause the concussion? Circa’s mind spun round and round in circles. It wasn’t getting anywhere… the shadows were settling in around them… the wings of the predators shrouded the air above…

She shed a tear, the moisture wicking away from her sandy eyes, as she regrettably darted directly away from the shark and the ice-man. Circa had no choice, because, had she stayed any longer to drag the unconscious human out of harm’s way, she would have been a sitting duck for the two immensely strong foes; and as the last few minutes had proved, there was no getting away from these hunters. With Cupris now balanced perilously at the edge of the area, a hair’s breadth away from the lava, the Sandcat was at the greatest of disadvantages. She couldn’t afford to try and save the human any longer, even if it felt so very wrong to leave an innocent soul behind.

And then as if time stopped, Circa flashed back to the body she found in the desert. The first time she saw death in the eyes. A human, face-down in the sand, skin taut and desiccated; it was a traveller that had lost their way in a sandstorm. Circa could see the human outline, but… they were no longer alive. It reminded the Sandcat that the world was unforgiving, even if you tried to fight against the odds: it was cruel, and it showed no mercy.

She shook her head, and threw her memories aside. Circa pounced on all-fours in a dead-straight direction away from the shark, who had just recovered from his attack on her sand-clone; the winged ice-creature had seemingly started to assault the unconscious man as well. The decision was made, don’t think about it now, Circa convinced herself in her mind. What she needed to do was to run around enough to maintain her distance from her enemy, before using what little recharged mana she had to counterattack. She eyed the stalactites above her head, which were a fair few metres out of reach. If only she could launch herself on something…
DF  Post #: 27
7/28/2020 1:19:13   
Anastira

“You don’t have to do anything,” Carina whispers to the white fox, her voice joining itself with the lullaby as she looks up, into the fox’s face. She can feel the cold of the blade, still, the place where it cuts at her skin, her own blood set free. There is a tinge of panic, a rising tide of fear, but she pushes it down, fights it back, now is not the time - but she has to push the sword away somehow, has to escape. It is a strange contradiction, the panic deep inside against the lullaby of her own voice, its strength turned on herself as well as on the fox.

Carina reaches to her belt. Vulpecula is there, rematerialized, and she nearly reaches for it, but - but no. She is tired of fighting, tired of hurting. Tired of inflicting pain. She avoids Auriga carefully - avoids the invisible tightrope of her deepest, darkest desires - curls her hand tight around the dove-winged hilt of Columba, her eyes closing as she feels the blade settle against her palm. Mercy, she thinks to herself. Mercy. There is mercy in hurting without pain, in letting a person be numb to the truth.

She stabs the fox.

She hardly even feels the impact as Columba slides from her hand into the flesh of the white fox’s arm; as soon as the blade pierces the fox, Carina lets go of its hilt instinctively and drops her hand, staring up into the white mask, knowing at least that the fox will feel no pain. Such a small comfort for knowing she has made the fox bleed, but - but it is better than nothing.

She lets the music die slowly, a crescendo that stretches out and dwindles into nothing like a candle burning itself out, and even then she keeps the siren’s song in her voice, mellifluous and flowing, a river of warmth to coax the white fox. “Tell me,” she murmurs, “tell me your name. I want to know who you are under that beautiful mask.” There is an artistry in it, she sees now, the inked black designs standing out stark and fragile against the smooth of the white. She projects herself the way she remembers Jendayi, her coffee-dark skin almost glowing with warmth, her gray eyes tempered bright with starlight, her hair and her braids settling against her shoulders in rich waves, her lips curved into a smile. Reassuring. “Why are you here? What have you lost? What is it…” She stops, presses her lips together and tilts her head. “Who is it you’re fighting for?”

“Dialla…” the white fox murmurs, her voice dazed, confused. “That isn’t you...”

Dialla. A lover? A sister? A mother? A friend? It occurs to her, vaguely, that she could impersonate this Dialla, whoever she is, whatever she means to the fox. But it would be cruel. As cruel a thing as she could possibly do. “I am not Dialla,” Carina says. I am the moth drawn to the flame. “I am Musca.”

“Where is she...I have to find her -”

“You will find her.” She lays as much as she can of the lullaby into her voice, warming it and strengthening it, a mother’s reassurance. She wishes Jendayi were here. The herbalist would know what to do, how to talk to this lonely creature. “I will help you.”

The promise comes without her meaning it to. She knows, she knows it’s stupid, she shouldn’t have said it, but it feels right somehow. As though the words have lived inside her all these years, waiting to be said. She wants to reach out to the white fox, to touch her, but she knows it would only spook her, and she can’t shake the guilt at the blood running down the fox’s arm, the shallow cut made by Columba’s blade.

Does the fox hear her? Carina does not know. With the mask on, there’s no way Carina can tell the look in her eyes, on her face, if she even has eyes, or a face. “Who are you? Do not lie to me.” The fox’s voice is almost reproachful, edged with bitterness - or maybe Carina only imagines it is. Nothing seems to make complete sense, not with the fox’s face hidden as it is.

Carina smiles, shifts her projection so it softens every line of her face, the color of her eyes, the sound of her voice as much as possible. Projection and music woven together to create one whole, remaking herself into a vision. “We are all lost and lonely and in pain, or we wouldn’t be here, but it doesn’t have to be that way. Tell me…” She takes a long, steady breath. “Tell me your name. Give me your trust.”

Please, she thinks, as though somehow the white fox might hear her thoughts, but the white mask stares back at her unmoving. Her words fallen on deaf ears. She feels almost stupid.

Carina dips her head. “I can’t kill you. I won’t. I don’t even want to hurt you...it isn’t who I am. The things you’re fighting for, they are...noble.” She swallows, and when she looks up the smile still curves her lips, the warmth still glows from her skin, but her eyes are sad, smilingly sad. “Your soul is not mine to take. It will never be. Do not forget to listen to the music.”

And she rises, holding only Pegasus, feeling its lightness and agility fill her body -

There is a sudden warmth, sharper than any memory, searingly bright against her skin, she feels the shock of it bursting like stars across her neck and face. She wants to reach her hand to it, but she knows, already, that this isn’t the fox’s doing, it can’t be. An image flashes through her head, moments before: the fox with her cloak in flames, a raging wildfire to ring the delicate silhouette of her mask, Spider Lily dancing around her like a deadly ghost of a shadow. Careful, Carina. There are those that would betray you. Jendayi’s voice. Almost without thinking Carina darts away, her hand flying to Circinus, the compass of the hilt rising beneath her fingers - and she seeks, she searches, spinning suddenly to find Spider Lily, and there is an angry ugly piece of her inside that rears its vile black head, the darkness let loose, venomous.

Here beneath the trees the branches seem to reach like curling fingers grasping at the diamond stars of the sky, nebulae twirling outwards in swaths of color like celestial blood painted across a canvas of black. This feeling of being violated, a foreign something injecting itself into her: a dark soul that reaches for her skin and touches her and pours itself in through her mouth and her nose and her eyes, taking this weeping abandoned infant for itself, embracing its wails, silencing its tears. You are mine, it seems to say, although there are no words, only an understanding, an intention.

Carina, kneeling on the floor in front of a stuttering fire long after Jendayi has left the room, entranced by the strange weeping dance as the flames cough into silence, dying their slow death in Jendayi’s absence. The chrysanthemum and jasmine bouquet in her hands: love and loyalty and happiness, Jendayi told her as she cut them from the walls, pressing them into Carina’s fingers. If you see a flower, Carina, you are never alone. You are with me.

A vision: Spider Lily and a flower, Lily, of course, a sign she’d missed all along, and smoke. The singing of blades, a scream - Lily’s scream?

Carina, kneeling by a stream staring at her infinitely rippling reflection in the flowing-glass mirror of the water, her fingertips creating tiny eddies of their own. The coffee-brown of her skin, her dark hair combed into waves and braids, her eyes shining starlight gray. Concentrating on the water, the rhythm of it, until it seems to merge with the beat of her heart and the music in her head, the sound of the universe singing all at once, an orchestra, a symphony, a sweeping cinematic soundtrack.

Circinus in her hand, not understanding what she’s about to do, or maybe not wanting to understand, closing the distance between herself and Spider Lily without knowing why, the burning on her neck -

A butterfly lands on her hand. It is brown on the outside, camouflaged, but then it opens its wings and there is blue, brilliant blue, flashing up at her through the darkness. She pauses on the street, in the middle of all of the shining festival lanterns, and she begins to sing, her voice weaving against the street musicians’, taking their dozen different songs and tying them together, unifying all these tiny little fragments into one delicate whole.

The woman she’s just pickpocketed turns to stare, hands her a coin with a look on her face Carina will never forget.

A man dances a fire dance in front of her, swallowing swords, and she moves towards him with the music drawing itself from her, louder and louder, the cobblestones damp with rain under her feet, the smell of spicy meats and cloyingly sweet pastry puffs steeping the air. There is a boy watching the fire dancer, except he’s no longer staring at the dancer, he’s looking at Carina, his eyes wide and bright and fixed on her, they are all staring. She wants to disappear, to break free, but she cannot. The music is a part of her, she cannot stop it, and she cannot stop the way they look at her any more than she can stop the beating of her heart.

She is so close to Spider Lily now, her heartbeat transformed into a wardrum, her projection a warrior with her hair billowing behind her and her eyes a gray so piercingly brilliant it almost hurts to look at them, Pegasus lending her a grace she did not know she could have. The white fox crumpled at Spider Lily’s feet, on fire, screaming, the piercing sound of it an angry ache in Carina’s chest.

Six months later, another butterfly on another night, but it could be the same one for all Carina knows. Thinking about how unassuming and modest it is with its wings closed, how brilliantly beautiful it is when it opens its wings. The way it enchants her with its beauty, its graceful flight: is this the power she has? But she is no butterfly. She is like a fly, fluttering her way unsteadily through the night, searching for that lone lantern, the fire that burns through the curtain of the darkness.

Spider Lily does not move, does not even try to, she just stares with a strange look on her face, a smile, and the contradiction of it almost brings Carina to a halt, why do you not move, why do you not save yourself; the white fox’s hand slamming, suddenly, against the ground, shattering the floor, there is lava, red-hot and steaming -

Jendayi, cradling a flower in her hands. Carina had picked it thinking it would be a gift, this beautiful purple blossom, but now it is wilted and Jendayi stares at it sadly, shaking her head. You should not pick flowers, she says. Better to let them stay where they have grown. If you pick them they will die. You’ve taken away its home, and now it is lonely -

Circinus driving itself into Spider Lily’s flesh, deep, deep, the blood is like paint seeping from her arm, Carina still does not understand; a flash of focus from Pegasus to Circinus, marking Spider Lily to be hunted, then snapping back to Pegasus again as she lets go of Circinus’ hilt -

What if you have no home? What if there was never a home to be taken away? What if all along, all this time, you have walked alone, lonely, and you just wanted it to stop, the pain, the darkness, the loneliness, you know no one will ever want you or love you or care, what if all you can ask for is that the end is a beautiful thing? That you could be a masterpiece, a supernovae, a work of art?

Staring into Spider Lily’s eyes, realizing, at last, the reason for this alliance: you want me to kill you -

Carina drops her hand to Auriga, closes her eyes and feels the pull. The invisible string tying her to that which she wants most - that which she needs most.

“Your life,” she whispers, raising her eyes to meet Spider Lily’s as Circinus disappears, leaving a crimson smile in its place. “Your life, your soul...it is not mine to take. Ask someone else to do it for you. Not me.”

Not me.

She closes her fingers tight around Auriga, remembers the blue morpho butterfly opening and closing its wings in her memories. The boon, she realizes with a start, feeling her heartstrings sing at the thought of it. The boon. It is not hers to take, either.

None of it is.
AQW  Post #: 28
7/28/2020 23:38:47   
draketh99
Purple Armadillo

A cold sliver crept under Taria’s flesh and into her forearm. The singing blade at the siren’s throat trembled as the strength of Taria’s grip slipped away. A gentle grasp pressed her sword arm away. A gentle voice addressed her.

“You don’t have to do anything,”

This voice echoed hollow and stange. That familiar strength had left, so had the bright flame which she had chased for so, so long. She knew. She had known the truth this whole time. The realization struck her nonetheless. It bludgeoned her and left the world spinning.

“It isn’t her.”

“You have been deceived, Taria.”

“What has been given cannot be returned.”

This was the first time since that fateful day that Taria had wished that the chimes be silent. She needed silence in order to hear her own thoughts for once. The whole world needed to stop spinning for just. one. moment.

“Dialla…” Taria breathed, “that isn’t you…” She felt her heart sink and wring itself dry as she struggled to make the words leave her lips.

The siren answered. “I am not Dialla, I am Musca.”

She wasn’t Dialla. She had never been Dialla. But who had Taria heard, then? Her mind began to frantically pour over every single detail of the past few moments. Someone had sang with Dialla’s voice, with her strength. Had… Had she imagined it the whole time? Was this another one of those dreams? It had been so long since the last one. No. No, this was real. It had to be. The sobbing wound underneath her ribs and the stench of scorched leather both were real. They were too rancid for any nightmare to produce in such visceral detail. But if this siren hadn’t been her, could she be?

“Where is she...I have to find her-”

Taria’s voice stumbled over itself in a panic. If Dialla were here, she had to find her now. She had so much to tell her. She would have the strength to protect her from all the monsters this time.

The siren ahead continued to speak, to address her calmly, but Taria could not hear. The chimes clawed at her ears, a slippery cacophony of whispers pulling in every direction.

“Deceiver!” One hissed.

“The lies leave you weak, Taria.”

“She leads you to danger.”

Lies? Had it all been lies? Had she been played a fool and been strung up for an invisible audience? Fury welled up inside of here. Once again, Taria felt betrayed. Were the virtues for which she fought also the strings by which she had been dragged around the arena?

“Who are you? Do not lie to me.” A tinge of guilt sprouted, admonishing Taria for becoming so hostile to one who spoke so kindly. That guilt, though, had been instantly smothered by the sweltering heat of her furious embarrassment.

“We are all lost and lonely and in pain, or we wouldn’t be here, but it doesn’t have to be that way. Tell me…” The siren, now Musca, seemed intent on answering much more than Taria had asked. “Tell me your name. Give me your trust.”

Taria opened her mouth to speak, yet a prickle of fear along the back of her neck now stood between herself and the words she wanted to say. Nevertheless, Musca continued on.

“I can’t kill you. I won’t. I don’t even want to hurt you...it isn’t who I am. The things you’re fighting for, they are...noble. Your soul is not mine to take. It will never be. Do not forget to listen to the music.”

That fledgling of fear inside of Taria began to grow, taking hold of her as it rapidly matured into a feral beast. How did she know just what Taria had been fighting for? Was this siren within her head? Was she stealing her thoughts? The chimes had now formed a voracious whirlwind of warning around Taria. They warned her of danger and pleaded that she move quickly. Taria, keen to heed such a warning, shifted to her back foot in retreat.

That growing mass of warning and fear both came suddenly to a head as a palm gripped the back of Taria’s neck. She tried to scream. She tried to run. Neither of which came quickly enough. It began as a pinch, too sharp to fully register, before growing and spreading into a searing agony which worked its way across her neck and down her spine. Taria dropped to her knees, her yelp of surprise giving way to a torrential cry as the pulsating sensation of a white hot brand wracked at her skin with every single heartbeat. Taria reached back to grasp the wound, instantly sickened by the crackling of charred flesh and the tacky sensation of that which is best kept inside. She had only enough time to sense the pulse of the spider that had appeared behind her.

Another wave of heat erupted from ahead, knocking Taria off her feet. She landed, slumped and whimpering at the spider’s feet. The white porcelain mask, now heated by flame, scorched at her face, leaving her with no avenue left to focus on in order to escape the pain. Slowly, she evened out the pace of her breathing in an attempt to steel herself. She would not allow herself to die weeping.

“You are alive, Taria.”

“While the winds cross your lips, you must fight.”

“It was weakness which killed them, Taria.”

Taria bartered with her own body for the strength to move. Air filled her lungs as she realized that the spider hadn’t struck a finishing blow yet. Was this beast distracted? Was it prideful or foolish? Was there a difference? There would be no time for the answer to matter. Taria propped herself up on one palm, pivoting to face this venomous widow. Her other hand raised up, reaching underneath the spider’s stance and struck the stone floor with her palm.

The chimes lept from Taria’s hand, singing to the warm stone beneath. The stone sang back in kind before the chimes responded in an even higher key. In under a moment, this cycle fed upon itself. The chimes and stone competed with each other over who could produce the highest tune and the fastest melody. After merely the fall of a heartbeat, the chimes found their victory, their song punctuated with a loud CRACK.

Taria immediately threw her bodyweight back to her other side. She rolled away from the spider as she felt the stone floor shatter underneath her palm. A loud hiss erupted from the ground underneath her opponent, an omen of what would follow.

Taria shifted back up onto her knees, reaching out and grasping to the crystalline blade which had been her closest companion. A vicious prayer dripped from her lips.

“There, I’ve bled for you, monster. Now burn for me.”
DF  Post #: 29
7/29/2020 2:36:43   
Fionnes

The Sandcat could feel the pressure build up behind her. She could already hear the sudden crashing of feet against stone as the ice-creature and his mighty wings descended upon the hapless man, who remained knocked-out and at their mercy. The likelihood of Circa being able to reach her precious Cupris, which balanced perilously close to the edge of the arena by the tip of its blade, was nigh on impossible; even if she used the fallen man as a distraction from the winged monster, her mana-drained state was no fit condition for another tempt of fate. Even thinking about using the man, that she had spent so much time fixated on saving, as live bait… she could feel herself vomiting from the thought…

Continuing on her forwards pounce, Circa cut towards her left, keeping herself along the edge of the arena. Even with the searing heat of the lava against her sand-skin, the tired Sandcat felt all she could do was try her best to keep her distance. Her ability to recharge mana with the earth requires her to stay put on all-fours; but every environmental facet was preventing her from doing so. Circa gritted her teeth in frustration; she could start to feel the sand in her body lose its hold against her core. It was clear to her that mana was running low, and there was no practical way to regain it, especially when you have an armoured energy shark on your tail. She felt the unending surge of electrical energy gushing behind her: it was consuming, in more ways than one.

If a space opened up for her to get her katana back, Circa would do so, she thought to herself. But now would not be time; she kept pouncing ahead along the circumference of the stage, with only the rattling of the nunchaku on her waist and the resonating sound of potential defeat and death in her mind. The constant roar of the finned beast was a reminder of what would happen if she hesitated in any of her strides. She quickly glanced upwards again at the stalactites as they dangled perilously above the ground. Maybe, just maybe… with her bandages and enough tension, she could pull one down just to disrupt the battlefield and buy some more time in the confusion…

It really is the only option open right now, she thought. And this time, it wasn’t the madness from the slime that lingered on her sand: this was her last chance at survival. Within several feet of running full circle and almost reaching her beloved katana, Circa instinctively pounced upwards, as she felt a rush of air brush along her ankles. The crunch of metal and teeth confirmed the shark had gained ground between the two of them: Circa had lost her chance to get her katana. Furiously, she pulled out her nunchaku with her left hand, kept it clasped under her arm, as she cleared the creature’s vicious maw and spun a half-turn to meet her persistent foe.

“Grrr… I don’t like fish that bite back!”
DF  Post #: 30
7/30/2020 0:53:38   
roseleaf320
Creative!

She had their attention now.

Musca fled instantly from the flames of her own Life. Spider Lily had hoped her enchantress, at least, would understand their beauty-- but that was fine. Lily knew how painful they could be. Surely she’d noticed the shape of the flower, so in time she would come to understand. Spider Lily would make her: the Fox would be her demonstration. They’d fallen to their knees as the flames singed their face and now lay there, still except for the harsh movement of their breath. The Spider unclicked her second dagger, crossing both a little ways above the Fox’s neck. She watched their body as it rose and fell with each breath. Soon, even that would be gone. The first death. The first life to be preserved in all its glory in this arena’s harsh light. The Fox had been a beautiful dance partner. All of Spider Lily’s previous anger towards her opponent was gone now, overshadowed by the calm and joy that came from knowing them in their last moments. An old friend’s shocked expression as they slump to the floor. A lover’s voice pleading for mercy. A stranger’s last attempt to call for help. No matter how many times she’d done this, every death was a new experience, and every death felt as satisfying as the last. And none were quite satisfying enough. Her own death would be… had to be. Spider Lily’s eyes met Musca’s as she watched the enchantress draw another dagger before running towards her. Come come, little Musca. Let’s make this beautiful. The Spider tilted her hands slightly, pushing downwards to plunge both into the Fox’s exposed neck, and--

The ground beneath her caved.

Spider Lily leapt like a startled rabbit from the searing pit of lava that suddenly opened beneath her. When she landed on solid ground, she felt lightning shoot up from the sole of her left foot; when she found she could breathe again, she caught the strong stench of burning flesh and leather. Her boot had been completely burned through. The Fox’s sharp, breaking voice forced out a taunt. “There, I’ve bled for you, monster. Now burn for me.”

Monster? But I’m showing you mercy! I’m saving you from-- No! Spider Lily was getting so sick of trying to police her own emotions in the middle of a battlefield, but it always hurt so badly when she didn’t. Her indignation flicked around like a slippery fish, wanting to sink its teeth into her mind, into her actions; but she finally grabbed hold, thrusting it away and replacing it with her constant, forced calm. The Fox was all talk. And talk wasn’t something that could save your life in the arenas.

Musca’s dagger came right as Spider Lily managed to regain her balance. It sunk through the leather on her upper arm, and Spider Lily felt the muscles in her limb tensed in reaction to the pain. She gritted her teeth as a tingling sensation spread through her shoulder. Breathe. Just breathe. Her fear was strong-- even with the pain as a distraction, she recognized its bitter taste in her mouth. Something inside of her didn’t want this. But it was much too late to turn back; this was how it was meant to be.

“Your life,” Musca’s hot breath released an echo of the beautiful night sky within, interrupting the building tension in Spider Lily’s chest. The sight and sound of her were both as beautiful as their first meeting, untainted by the desperation and fatigue that came from battle. “Your life, your soul...it is not mine to take. Ask someone else to do it for you. Not me.”

Not. You?

A moment of silence. Spider Lily’s breathing slowed; her constant sea of emotions, the screaming of pain, standing quiet in the face of shock. She did not understand. Ask… someone else? But it was Musca, it was supposed to be Musca. Spider Lily would die to the blades of a friend-- a wondrous sea of starlight and song-- and her Life would be preserved forever as a beautiful portrait.

And this girl had the nerve to completely deny the Spider’s gift.

All pretence of control dropped from Spider Lily’s mind. In an instant, her fury consumed her, a searing web of tension that weaved its way into every limb, every vessel inside Spider Lily’s body. It pressed on her skin like countless hot knives, trying with all its might to rend Spider Lily’s flesh, anxious to escape its small prison to see the light of the open world. It could not fit, she could not hold back the explosion that it so desperately desired-- she didn’t want to. Her entire plan had been snubbed; and the guilty tinge of relief she felt because of it only served to fan the flames of her fury.

Fine. If the Fox thought she was a monster, then a monster she would be.

As if a spark had ignited, the fuschia mix around Spider Lily erupted instantly. She thrust her arms outwards, the motion strong and final; orange and fuschia flames followed her silent command. They spread outwards to echo the shape of petals, slamming against both of Spider Lily’s opponents like waves hitting a floodwall. At the center of the petals stood Lily herself-- her wounds burning, her heart racing, her anger vivid-- but she was alive, so alive when she had been so ready to die. There was no time to process on a battlefield such as this, no time to thrust down your emotions; only time to act, and to notice every movement, every feeling, every smell. Lily felt the fear that rose from that realization; she felt the instinct that surged up to stifle it like she’d done so many times before, the instant shut down of her thoughts to focus everything on keeping that fear away-- oh how ironic that she couldn’t even control that. Spider Lily wove around that tension, coaxing the fear through it, allowing it to slip past small cracks in the barriers that she knew would take her years to fell. It was sharp and confusing; an urge to turn and run, or perhaps to sit on the arena’s hard stone and beg for mercy, for someone that would understand her endless sea and tell her exactly what to do, for someone to hand her a magic pill to make everything just go away. She just wanted everything to go away, why couldn’t it? Why couldn’t Musca end it?

A small smile rose on Spider Lily’s face. She didn’t know where it came from-- it just appeared. She felt the cloth fall from her face, the force of her blast causing her cloak to flutter violently, though it did not catch. She felt the mess of hair it revealed fly behind her only to fall back and ring her face in a mix of dark black and pure white. And she felt the strange inner calm that came from standing in the midst of chaos and understanding it, while knowing she understood nothing at all. She knew this would be no miracle-- no sudden solution to the problems she’d been battling all her life. But she knew she was alive.

Post #: 31
7/30/2020 8:05:36   
Necro-Knight

R’thazz watched the woman go. It was no surprise, she was weak even without his master’s gift flooding her mind with its truth. She’d torn it free from her like a tumor, but it did not matter. Once the reality of existence was revealed, no one could escape it and still live at the same time. She would eventually succumb to the madness or destroy herself to escape it. R’thazz truly did not care which, as the Deep One would seek to claim her, alive or dead. No, his focus was on this unknown variable now hanging from his wings, limp, like a dead fish.
The Frozen One chuckled maniacally at his own ironic thought, before he brought the man forward. He still lived, for the moment, and R’thazz was thankful for that. Even wounded, it was still easier to feed upon a breathing and working mind, even one that seemingly had gone dark.

Luckily enough, finding truth in the darkest of oblivions was something R’thazz had become rather skilled at. Reaching up with his right hand, he gripped the man’s skull tightly in his mass of tendrils. With a few short, eldritch words spawned from his bulbous, pitted lips, power spread from his grip and through the man’s flesh as easily as water soaking through fabrics. The substance was the same he’d found within those blessed ice formations so long ago, the very same fluid he had later learned was the very blood of the fish upon which he’d feasted, still feasted on, in fact. The blood and stuff of the Deep God, the purest of his gifts and the ink upon which the truths of the universe were written with, born on human flesh and mortal minds.

Ice formed across the man’s rapidly paling flesh, as if the heat and life was being drained away by an unseen abyss and replaced with nothing but cold, hungering darkness. Fingers froze and curled, lips turned from purple to a deep black and joints became stiff as ice collected around bones and ligaments. Had the man been aware of his fate, he’d have been blessed with the truth of everything; the universe, creation and ultimately... the end of it all. R’thazz had already been given this vision and had returned that day, from his first dive into the master’s realm, a changed man. This being, unfortunately, would experience no such blessing but his knowledge and soul would be used all the same.

As the man’s heart, already failing from blood loss, finally collapsed from hypothermic shock, R’thazz was unable to resist the wide smile that crept across his twisted visage. Now an empty vessel, the Deep One could take the space that life had once held and consume everything the man was. Even dead, the man’s corpse writhed for a moment as cephalopod-like tentacles formed like rapidly-freezing icicles from his limbs, face and body. His form began to drip with the same vile-smelling fluid that coated every inch of R’thazz’s own body and the Frozen One relished in what was the fate of all who accepted the truth, living or dead, willing or not.

Satisfied that the man’s body was fully blessed by the Deep One and his soul properly frozen, R’thazz flicked his eyes around the arena for a moment as he pulled his wings from the corpse. He’d become so caught up in his kill that he’d forgotten someone could’ve come along and tried to flay him.

Seemingly, the arena’s strange and wild patrons had been too involved in their own battles to notice, or at least have the freedom to stop him. The feline woman had fled to the far side of the arena and the shark-creature had followed, bent on feasting upon her earthen form no matter what it took. R’thazz respected that drive, if nothing else. Swinging his bulbous eyes around, three other woman were all currently locked in heavy combat that had even disrupted the arena's floor itself, threatening to burn one of the assailants alive even as she seemed to explode with pedal-like energy.

Calculating the distance even as he began to drag the frozen corpse along side him, R’thazz realized this woman was closest to him and decided to leave his “ally” to his meal. If he proved too weak to finish off a creature as pathetic as the feline one, then R’thazz would simply return for its mind as he had the man that now hung dead by his side. Once he was in roughly 20 meters of the woman with her back to him, the Frozen One hefted the man’s corpse up and with a wide overhand throw, sent it soaring through the hot air towards her. In a previous life, he'd have considered the sight of the woman's hair flowing in the energy and molten air around her beautiful, but now he only saw the insane potential of what she could become. That was all he saw now and he would have it no other way, for it was better to see horrific truths than beautiful lies.

If his thrown victim managed to hit her, he might knock her off balance enough to finish the job that one of the other women had started. If he did not, the psychological blow would be enough to begin all their minds down the path toward maddened enlightenment. Either way, the Frozen One was already ahead.

Disht’mugalg thulg’fhn… thash’fthgn cthlagh'shh rugbinkl'sh Kathool’ashoo!
'One is dead, one grows weak... soon, all of you will know the gift of Kathool Achoo!'
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 32
7/30/2020 13:06:09   
ChaosRipjaw
How We Roll Winner
Jun15

The semi-Kh’kkhein proved to be quite the resilient prey. She rolled to her feet and ran, and Sinak gave chase. He could hear her breathing, sense her exhaustion. He wondered briefly what she was doing before, crouched on all-fours. She was made of and could control sand, so who knew what other quirks she possessed. Regardless, as a predator he could not let her stop to rest.

His fellow denizen of the Deep had reached the unconscious human, Sinak noted. It appeared the sword the semi-Kh’kkhein had thrown earlier had missed.

(Perhaps she’s trying to get it back now?)
((She glanced upward.))

With another powerful swipe of his tail, Sinak swiftly closed the distance between the two of them. He knew that the semi-Kh’kkhein knew that there would be no more fleeing. With no choices left, she spun around --- and whipped out an odd weapon that seemed to be two rods connected by the ends with a chain. Some kind of flail? Not that it mattered; unless it was a blunt weapon as great as a warhammer, she stood little chance of making even a dent in his Yyranaiad-grown bone armor.

She yelled something that he didn’t bother to try to decipher. Dirtalkers and their needless vocalizations. (Ssaatw’ppa was silent as the grave when he fought.) He responded in kind with a silent roar that drowned out her cry. Then he attacked.

It wouldn’t be right to say it was the most fierce battle he’d ever been in, but it certainly wasn’t the easiest either. As he predicted, there wasn’t much she could do against him with her flail-like weapon, but by the Core, she was fast. He struck and struck again, twisting and turning like a serpent, fins like scimitars slicing the air. Again and again, she feigned and dodged, his fins missing her by hairs.

(Her limbs seemed to shift shape ever so slightly so that even his most accurately placed blows still failed to nick her skin.)

He swung his head like a battering ram to knock her over and she flipped horizontally, spinning sideways over him with amazing agility. Fluidly, with practiced ease, he whirled and followed with a tail slash, but she flattened herself along the ground, then rolled in close. Her flail weapon swung with accuracy, aimed directly for his right eye.

Faster than he would have been able to dodge, for he was in the middle of his spin. Fortunately, his invisible, always active shield flared and the rod bounced off with a crackle. Another roar ripped through the din as he opened his mouth wide and dropped down for a monstrous bite. Incredibly, she used the momentum of his shield’s deflection to go into a backflip so that his jaws snapped empty space where a moment ago her torso was. And even though he had compensated by lunging a bit further, it was fruitless for her head had morphed out of the way.

He kicked his tail and lunged again, once, twice, three times, and she continued to flip out of range with grace, only barely staying a step ahead of his teeth.

(He noticed faint streams of sand trailing off her body as the battle progressed.)
((Her breathing was slowly but surely becoming harsher and ragged.))
(((Such a fierce will to live and fight!)))

Then he lunged a fourth time---

Instead of flipping, she suddenly pounced---

He overshot---

Her foot came down on his back and with another crackle, the shield bounced her off, sending her flying toward the ceiling.

(Why, with the sand trailing behind her, she looked like a falling star.)

<Sharks attack from below.>

Sinak twisted and kicked his tail, rocketing up after her, jaws open, jagged teeth bared.

Something unfurled from her arms and wrapped around the nearby hanging stalactite---

And she cried out as his jaws closed on her leg.

For a moment that stretched like an eternity, they dangled like a strange, twisted pendulum. Such a bizarre sight, a Shha’rarken hanging onto a cat-like human (?) hanging onto the stalactite of a molten cavern, not a hint of water anywhere.

He started to thrash and she struggled to hold on---

There was a faint crack---

A few pebbles bounced off his shield---

The stalactite broke off---

Surprised, he opened his jaw a fraction and she yanked her crushed leg out---

They plummeted---

Sinak hit the ground hard, which knocked the wind out of him---

And the stalactite hit him squarely in the side---

Too late he realized---

<NO!!!>

Shield.

BUZZZHGRGKKLLGK!!!

<AAARRRRGHHHH!!!>
<<AAAGGHHHHH!!!>>
<<<AAHHHHH!!!!>>>

Sinak shrieked in pain as the harsh air that filled the domain of the Forge instantly rasped against his gills, Fire, acid, not even the lava rivers compared to the scorching pain that raged against his gills.

The combined weight of both him and the semi-Kh’kkhein had dislodged the stalactite, causing it to drop and, in a terrible stroke of luck, hit his shield. Although his Yyranaiad enhancements were very powerful, it also had its limits. The weight of a massive cavern stalactite falling at a high speed was one of those limits.

The great obsidian spike had crushed his shield, collapsing it and leaving him totally exposed. Granted, he didn’t always need his psychic shield, given his already tough Shha’rarken physique that was also enhanced with Yyranaiad muscles and bone armor. But his shield served another, far more important purpose than simple protection. As long as it was active, it created a bubble which simulated ocean currents, allowing him to float on land as though he were swimming the depths of Deep Mother, as well as allowing him a means to “breathe” the surface air.

When the limit was reached, his augmented brain would be unable to take the strain and shut down the shield. Unfortunately, this also meant shutting down the bubble that was keeping him alive.

Sinak flopped and twisted against the stone floor in a blind panic as his heart beat frantically, attempting to pump blood to deliver oxygen to the rest of his body. Even as his eyes darted wildly and he gasped for breath just like a beached fish, within his mutated brain, he struggled to rein in his instinctual Shha’rarken panic.

<It can’t end like this!>

Savagely, he clamped down as hard as he could on his instincts, but he was losing control. The edges of his vision began to darken.

He saw---

The guard groans. His leg has been torn off. He can feel his life seeping out of him. Maybe he could reach the spear---

Sinak looms up behind him. The guard tries to yell but only a faint croak escapes his lips.

“Get away!” cries a shrill voice.

A young child, not yet ten winters, dashes out. He is ragged, but his eyes shine with a fierce light. In his scrawny hands, he clutches a plank of wood. With a cry, he lunges to try to strike Sinak. The plank of wood stops an arm’s length from Sinak’s snout and bounces away as though it hit a glass wall. The child staggers and falls, exhausted.

But the Shha’rarken does not strike.

<We do not attack the weak.>
<<Weak he is not, for he tries to strike us.>>
<<<Physically, he is weak.>>>
<<<<Mentally, spiritually, he is strong.>>>>
<Like us.>
<<Us.>>
<<<Me.>>>
<<<<Myself.>>>>

My Valenka,

I know your distress for my safety as though you were beside me, rather than hundreds of miles away. I know even now you are hurrying across the border to me. Fortunately, I am entirely unscathed, so I hope this letter written by my hand will ease your worries.

However, by the time you arrive at Hasong, I will not be there. I have received more news about the creature we hunt. If they are true . . . then I cannot imagine the possibilities. I cannot say much more.

Follow the signs and you will find the rest.

Yours,
Vasily Jarishnikov
~~Forsoughtten~~
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 33
7/31/2020 3:26:35   
Anastira

Carina counts to the rhythm of a heartbeat.

One - Circinus rematerializing at her belt, its compass shining angrily, the lava-light turning its hilt into a watching eye.

Two - Spider Lily erupting, a miniature firework, so many beautiful colors, and oh, Carina wants to hold this moment in her memory forever, the beauty of it: this canvas of blood, of life, all of it dissipating into fire and flame, Jendayi would love it. Jendayi would be in awe.

Three - the pain of Spider Lily’s explosion, searing, the smell of burning fabric and her own singed skin. If she closes her eyes, it is like basking in the fire at home, the smell of jasmine and white chrysanthemum, the heady fragrance of dark wood.

You wanted me to kill you, she thinks. But I refused. And this is my punishment.

I will die here, she realizes suddenly. I cannot escape this.

Four - shedding burning cloth to the arena floor, her projection shifting even as her lungs burn, the suffocating choking taste of smoke, bitter. Her projection changing: a woman, not quite tangible, not quite mortal; instead of clothing, she is sculpted from wild flowing lines - a spirit, almost, an elemental made of transparent silvered smoke that curls and wreaths itself around Spider Lily’s fire.

Five: a body, hurling towards her through the flames, this strange paradox of elements - a frozen corpse flying through the air into the middle of Spider Lily’s bonfire tapestry.

Carina’s mind goes blank.

She remembers:

Kneeling on the ground, the dirt dark under her nails and against the lines of her palms, the pale, wintered sun casting her shadow long against the ground. Her hands curled against the loose soil like claws. The daggers laid out in front of her, reflecting the sunlight like malformed mirrors, staring up at her defiant.

She is alone here, alone with the short tundra grasses shivering around her, a collective shuddering sway beneath the swooning fingertips of the wind. It has been two days since she left Cailean’s father’s shop in the middle of the night with these daggers that did not belong to her. She can feel her feet burning from walking so long, her eyes burning from exhaustion. Everything on fire.

She is cold. She cannot remember ever being so cold in her life. She was found at the foot of the mountains, where the trees clustered like a convent, faithful; where the sawtoothed peaks gave way to rolling hills and valleys and the beginnings of stepped farms cascading down towards the smallest of the villages. But here, in the middle of the pass, there is no temperate warmth. She shivers, and shivers, and the short grasses shiver with her, and everything hurts.

A corpse of a dove lies next to her dagger, frozen in a snowstorm. Her stomach burns with hunger.

I am going to die, she thinks, but the realization doesn’t hurt the way it should. She is numb to it, numb to the cold and to the fire. A part of her wants to die. Then, maybe, Cailean would find her body here, next to her six stolen daggers, and he would retrieve them. He would have left knowing she had paid the price of betrayal.

Please, please let me die.

She whispers it again and again and again, feels the music of it rise within her like peace. Her fingers pass over the hilts of her daggers, letting their magic seep into her skin, and she can feel it, the anticipation. She has already guessed Columba’s power - she knew the first night, when she hunted a rabbit for food and accidentally cut her finger. A shallow cut, but it should have hurt. It should have stung as it bled.

But there was no pain.

She reaches for Columba’s hilt, the beautiful pale dove’s wings as delicate, as fragile as the body of the bird lying next to it -

Her fingers brush Auriga.

A flash of pain, a hunger: the cold cut through with a fire, but not a searing fire; a gentle warmth, Jendayi’s voice singing her lullabies. So strong she feels as though her heart’s being pulled from her chest with the strength of her longing. Oh, God, please -

when the black night
calls at last my name
my dreams
wake in sleeping
when the summer’s hearth is burning
in my arms
my child, be safe with me
my love
winter’s solstice stays its hand…

Carina wakes with a start. She is not cold. She is not frozen. She is on fire, her skin burns with the heat of it, the flames of the cloth licking against her ankles.

She steps away from the discarded fabric, clutches Pegasus and Auriga, her belt settled against her hips, the leather of her shoes warm against her skin - as though she’s walking on the dying embers of Jendayi’s hearth.

Jendayi’s voice echoing in her head: remember what I told you -

“Life,” Jendayi says, her voice a murmur as she stirs the fire with her hands: “life is about shattering the wine glass.”

Carina lifts her head. She is eight years old, and already she’s been punished twenty separate times for pickpocketing. Caught. “A wine glass,” she says, not understanding. She has seen the trick, of course, a singer poised on a stage with a delicately fluted glass standing in front of her, a note sung high and loud, the glass shattering onto the floor with the force of the sound. But what does a singer and a pile of broken glass have to do with life?

Jendayi closes her eyes.

“It is like this, Carina. Everyone is staring at you - they always stare at you. You know what it’s like when you sing.” (Here she smiles, a wry smile that curves one side of her mouth more than the other, her eyes flickering with a glint of amusement.) “You can’t help but draw attention to yourself, except when you’re pickpocketing. Then you become invisible. How?”

Carina swallows. “I don’t want them to see me,” she says. “So they don’t.”

“Yes. But when you’re singing - when you’re singing, you can’t hide, can you?”

Carina feels it, then. She may only be eight years old but she already knows the feeling of terror, panic fluttering its deadly wings like a butterfly caught in her chest. A bird trying to beat its way free of her ribcage. “I…”

“But your music is your greatest weapon.” Jendayi’s eyes are sad, irrevocably sad, and somehow the child Carina does not quite understand what Jendayi is about to say. Or, maybe - she doesn’t want to understand, doesn’t want to hear these hopeless, deathly words from this woman who worships life, who worships all that is living. “Sometimes you have to shatter the wine glass, Carina. Take what you have and use it to break something - something or someone. To protect yourself. Something so reckless, so shocking that all they can do is stare at the broken pieces you’ve left behind, so they’ll forget about you. They’ll look at it, at all of those little pieces, your beautiful destruction...and once they’re remade, they will forget they ever wanted to hurt you.”

The child Carina does not understand. She does not see why she would need to defend herself, what could be so horrible she would have to break the world around her.

But standing in the middle of the arena with Pegasus in one hand and Auriga in the other, Carina feels. She understands. She knows, in the way you can understand the vague silhouette of something without truly seeing it - and then that silhouette comes into focus and becomes a person, a creature, a thing. Suddenly understood, suddenly known.

She stops, catches her breath, closes her eyes, letting her projection falter briefly. Focuses on the fox, then on Spider Lily, counting the seconds that go past. Feeling their heartbeats, the emotions welling up inside of them: tiny little signals, vital signs that give away the conflict, the pain, the contradictions. She could do it, she knows. She could use this focus and take her music and reach into them, inside of them, tap into the deepest parts of who they are and try to break them apart from the inside out. Take the paradoxes that make them who they are and play them against each other, a music of dissonance, a music of discordance, a music of ruin.

Defend yourself, Carina.

There are those that would betray you.

Shatter the wine glass -

No. That is not what it is about. Jendayi, stirring the flames with her hands, raising her eyes to meet Carina’s. The bouquet of jasmine and chrysanthemum. Love, loyalty, purity, happiness. Jendayi would not want Carina to break them, not like this. This is not what she meant by shattering the wine glass. She meant something else entirely.

Jendayi’s voice echoing, over and over again, If you see a flower, Carina, you are never alone, you are with me; if you see a flower, Carina, you are never alone, you are with me -

Carina looks towards Lily, Spider Lily with her flowers, with her fire. Towards Taria with her cleverness, her fox’s mask -

It hits her like a thunderclap, the realization, the pull of Auriga in her hand, and she stops singing suddenly, her voice cutting off into abrupt silence.

The daggers. The way they pulled her in that night, glinting on the wall in Cailean’s father’s shop. The way they settle so perfectly in her hands, the weight of them.

Jendayi, explaining magic to Carina for the first time: magic is a misnomer. It is merely ordinary talent and skill -

Cailean, staring at a fire dancer whirling under the festival lanterns: Cailean’s eyes gleaming as they catch sight of the sword. Carina standing behind him as he turns to look at her, the music spilling out of her mouth. The roughness of his hands, the way he’d always slip out at night from the back door of the shop, the burns that appeared overnight on his fingers and palms and disappeared just as quickly.

The truth she has failed to see for so long.

These daggers were not meant to harm. They were meant to protect. They were always meant to protect - meant to protect her.

It is night when he comes to see her, it is always night; she is a creature of the night, hates the sun. In the dark she can’t see the burns on his hands, but she can feel the wrappings he’s put on them when he reaches out to take her hands in his. She lets him fold her against him, listens to the beat of his heart, lets the music inside of her attune itself to the rhythm of him, the music that is Cailean.

“You’ve done it again,” he whispers.

Yes. She has. She’s been pickpocketing. She doesn’t even nod her head; he knows already.

“This isn’t you.”

She closes her eyes. Focuses on his heartbeat. Lets the lullaby of it lull her half asleep.

“My father, maybe he could - maybe he could help you. He makes things, magical things.” There is a knowing in his voice, the kind of knowledge that terrifies her, she doesn’t want him to see what she really is inside. “I know you’re not that girl, Carina, but I’d do anything, you know that, I want you to be free -”

She wants to be free, too. To shatter the glass cage with her voice alone, the power of her will and her music.

“Just...if you need anything. The shop, we have things…”

He kisses her. It is a gentle kiss, soft and fleeting, the kind that lasts an instant and seems to last an infinity, and she clings to it, the innocence of it. His hands squeeze hers gently and then he walks away, his silhouette disappearing from her, and maybe it’s this exact moment that she remembers, years later, standing outside the window of the shop where Cailean had once bound a dove’s broken wing. Maybe it’s those exact words, or that gentle kiss playing inside her head as she works the lock, her pickpocket’s fingers moving across the mechanism like a shadow, letting her inside.

She slips across the room like a ghost, searching. For Cailean, maybe, but he is not here.

She feels the daggers like a sudden piercing throb of her heart, an irresistible pull.

Did Cailean know she would come this night? Is that why those daggers were on the wall, waiting for her, waiting to pull her in with their enchantment? Her fingers, prying them from the walls one by one, their hilts shining in her hands. Auriga, Sagitta, Vulpecula for Jendayi - Columba, Pegasus, Circinus for Cailean. But they were never for Cailean, they were never for Jendayi.

They were for her. They always had been. They were made for her; Cailean made them for her himself.

That is why she remembers, standing in the middle of a molten arena with betrayal in her heart, the one thing she overlooked that night, the truth hidden bare in front of her eyes: his silhouette in the darkened window of the workshop, watching her. Knowing she has stolen the daggers. Letting her go.

Knowing she will not be gone for good.

His voice, his words: I want you to be free. Did he know she would have to leave him to understand? That it would take fighting in this arena to realize the things she should have seen from the beginning? The daggers were his way of giving her the space she needed, the gift of being able to walk away from everything she had ever known, without being helpless. So that she would be protected when she came here, to this battle to the death, to understand what it was she’s misunderstood for so long.

I am meant to be here, Carina thinks, spinning around her wildly, her eyes raking across the black obsidian of the arena, the white-hot of the lava, the fox and Spider Lily’s dancing figures. But the boon I’ve asked for is not meant to be given to me. All this time I’ve thought it was the elemental darkness that took me and caged me and made me a slave, but it was me. It was the violence, the murder, the lust for revenge, the betrayal, the distrust. That is the real darkness inside me.

Shatter the wine glass. Break them, Jendayi had said, but - she’d told Carina to remake them, too, hadn’t she? Your beautiful destruction...so once they are remade, they’ll forget they ever wanted to hurt you -

Carina has misunderstood for so, so long.

She is not supposed to break them - not for good. She is supposed to break them free. Give them what they have lost, what they are missing, so they can remake themselves, so they can finally be whole.

The fox, Spider Lily - they are not her enemies.

Her enemy is the very thing that brought her inside the arena, her own greed, her own misunderstanding. She is her own shadow. She is her own slave.

She knows, suddenly, what her boon must be.

Shatter the wine glass, Carina.

I’m not worried about you, Musca. You will always search for the light.

She wants the pain to stop. The loneliness. She wants to touch the fox and Spider Lily and so many others, to make them feel something that is not anger, or fear, or sorrow, or even the kind of sophomoric comfort of a lullaby. She wants to make them feel again, something bigger than themselves, something that doesn’t hurt.

She reaches back through time, a shifting clock with its gears wound backward, her memories like the pages of a book: focuses all the joy, all the love, all of the purest most concentrated happiness she can, distilled - sweet summer mornings with dew on the grasses and speckling the leaves of the wide-trunked trees, snow carpeting the mountains in wintertime and sparkling frost in the villages, festival lanterns strung across pathways and music filling the streets, the feeling of flying. A song of hope, a song of remembrance, a song of pasts and a song of futures. Please, she thinks, please, Spider Lily, do not try to die. It is too early. There is life in you.

She lets her song flood outwards towards the rest of the arena, spreading out from her like ripples in a lake, weak at the edges. This is me, she wants to say. This is who I am. This is who we are.

The warmth of the sun beating down on a meadow, the exquisite melody of a river mingling with birdsong mingling with the rustling of wind through branches, flowers making a brilliant carpet of the ground. Come with me, she wants to say. Stop fighting. Stop hurting. Let yourself dream. There is more than just this boon, more than just this fight -

Shatter the wine glass.

Closing her eyes, she abandons her focus on Pegasus and lets herself fall into Auriga entirely, raises the blade up and plunges it as hard as she can against the ground. And in that moment she sings with all the freedom and all the power her lungs can hold, a high loud shriek that strains her throat and aches like a sore, leaves her gasping - and as she dances away from the fox and Spider Lily, a stalactite from the ceiling cracks with the strength of her voice and separates completely, falling, a plunging black arrow of death, a supersized Sagitta splitting open the ground of the arena -

The lava billows upwards, and in it Carina sees the fierce warmth of Jendayi, the brilliant fire of Cailean’s love.

This is for you, she thinks, staring at the fox and Spider Lily. You are people too. Her projection shifts and changes into something different, surreal, a tall slender woman who stands not with Jendayi’s warmth but with constellations in her eyes and stars beneath her skin, her hair flowing long and dark and wild and free, barely human. Her image, this vision, like a universe of galaxies and nebulae and supernovae condensed into one mortal body.

Her gaze flickers from one competitor to the next, around the arena, the light of the lava burning against the starlight shards of her eyes.

You were not mine to take, but that does not mean you will not be free.

She sinks to her knees, her face turned to the ceiling of stalactites, Pegasus dropping from her hands to the floor and disappearing in a flash. She will not run anymore. She closes her eyes, a swirling form of stardust, an infinite universe with Auriga laid delicately across the palms of her hands - and she sings.

Cailean’s hands pause, trembling. The air of the workshop shimmers with the heat of his forge. Her music twists inside him, a siren’s song.

Carina, his lips whisper.

Jendayi reaches out, touches his hand gently. “She is strong.”

He closes his eyes. He remembers: the cool of her hands, the warmth of her lips. He knows, somewhere far away, Carina will feel this memory, too, through the lifeline that is Auriga. Somehow, the magic will connect them. She will feel his love. They are tangled together by the irrevocable gravity of a black hole, forever balanced on the event horizon.

She is strong, Jendayi’s voice echoes.

He smiles:

I know.

I feel it, too.

AQW  Post #: 34
7/31/2020 6:29:28   
Fionnes

A clash of hands was going to be inevitable. Both Circa and the shark snarled at each other, teeth bare, as they prepared their onslaught to the death. By this time, the Sandcat could slowly feel her mana reserves trickling away, and time was not her ally. With no feasible way to reach her primary weapon in time, Circa held onto her nunchaku firmly, though her hands shook restlessly from the fear. It was no longer a fear that could be blamed on the slime that had afflicted her earlier: it was a learned realisation that she was weak and easy prey for this finned predator. Circa had forgotten about the other contestants at this point, as she focused all her senses on her enemy; it would be a one-on-one fight for survival. A strange twist, with the cat being preyed on by the limitless shark; she could see it grind its teeth in frustration from the previous missed bites. It hungered for a kill.

Circa let the nunchaku swing gently along its chain, one end of the weapon firmly in her grasp. She waited for the shark to strike first: there was no way she would put forward an assault with such limited resources. Playing defensively was her only safe option, if she wanted to buy time for further escape routes or alternate plans. After all, time was not on her side, and the elements were not in her favour.

And as predictable as she had just thought a split second earlier, the shark reared its head and swung it at her like a battering ram. I knew it, she thought, as she shifted her sand to barely dodge his charge. Her body leaned backwards ever so gracefully, like a smooth flowing sand dune, as she rotated her body and spun her legs to move out of the way of its offensive. The shark flung his tail across, and as if instinctively, Circa lowered her body down to the ground, ever so slightly flattening her body as the sand thinned out to avoid its swiping strike. She could feel the appendage fly by, a hair’s breadth away from certain death. From a distance, no observer would be able to tell Circa was slowly running out of energy. But the more she dodged and weaved, the more her mana bled out like a broken hourglass.

Flip, dodge, slide and bounce! Circa continued to morph her body and shape her movements as she denied the shark any hits to her body. The finned predator growled furiously as the battle prolonged ceaselessly, and it was almost out of patience. With every lunge it made, Circa retaliated with a strike with her nunchaku. She aimed at all the vital places she could see: its eyes, its nose, its gills, or any part of its body the Sandcat could get close to. But to no avail: each whack with the weapon merely bounced back from what could only be deduced as an invisible shield. This thing is far too strong! Just as she realised earlier, picking a direct fight with this shark was a poor choice indeed. The only way to take an upper hand here, is to break the rules a little… she hissed. And she knew exactly how to do it.

The Sandcat slowly took gradual steps back: one step, then another, without the shark noticing as it snarled and continued flailing its body in repeated attempts to land a strike. One strike, two strikes, a third! Then with enough ground between her and the big fish… Circa pounced high, high into the air; high enough to clear the shark’s latest bone-crunching bite. She cartwheeled forwards, aiming her feet directly on the shark’s back. Looking upwards, Circa saw the stalactites above, and loosened the grip on one of her last bandages. With little mana left, this was the Sandcat’s last resort. The sand along her skin was barely holding together.

Crash! Came the sound of feet against the armoured back of the shark as Circa bounced off its shield and up into the air. Sand trailed behind her as she launched her bandage and, with sheer luck, the wrapping tied itself around the nearest stalactite she was aiming for. Circa held on for dear life, looking down as the only thing holding her steady was a weak, crumbling piece of rock. She was dangling perilously, like a pendulum gently swaying from side to side, counting down to her last moments. And then she felt it.

It wasn’t so much a crunch of bone, for Circa’s body didn’t have those. But she felt her sand shift places and the surge of pain fire upwards from her leg as the shark bit down hard. She screamed: loudly. The pain was real. What she felt was very real.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!”

Her voiced pierced the arena as she tugged hard on the bandage one last time, the stalactite giving in. She felt her world spin out of control in a whirlwind of pain and agony, as both her and the shark descended from above, landing into a heap of rubble. The resounding crash shook the whole arena, and for a split second it felt as if the entire floor would chasm into two. Circa lay on the floor, dazed and flitting in and out of consciousness.

“Did… did it work?”
DF  Post #: 35
8/1/2020 19:29:16   
ChaosRipjaw
How We Roll Winner
Jun15

An ancient memory, encoded deep in the Shha’rarken’s genes, surfaces. Unlocked by the power of the Yyranaiad genes.

The Siinagen --- the Blue --- swims desperately through the waters. The rest of the Blues were dead, hunted down by the black ships. The Saarphisscaakplaa are relentless. Blood billows out of her tail, a rusting harpoon still impaled in it. Even with their tactics and teamwork, flawless as they were, were like hurtling a diamond against a wall of firestone. Smashed apart and scattered, then picked at like clams to a seagull.

And now the Blue is the last of them. Her lateral line trembles. The Hunters are coming. The deep blue sea stretches unending. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide. She cannot, could not, flee any longer.

As a Shha’rarken, her eyes remain as blank and cold as ever. Inside though, she cries to the Deep Mother in desperation. Would it ever end? Her own life is forfeit; there is no doubt of that. Even against impossible odds, she is still Shha’rarken, so she will return to the Mother fighting.

Time seemed to stop.

It appeared before him. Sinak recognized it immediately.

<Thaang'kkhyxng'nnaa --- Way of the Water,> he hissed.

“Yes.”

<How are you here?>

“How, why, and whether I am here is immaterial,” the Way replied. “What matters now is: What are you doing here?”

<I am here to achieve victory in the Elemental Championships to ac--->

“There is no need to recite information we both already know,” the Way interrupted tersely.

Sinak didn’t respond.

“For all your bravado, talking about revenge and victory,” the Way said, emotionlessly as ever, “here you lie, helpless as a stranded whale. Oh yes, with your strength and willpower, you would probably be able to, at the minimum, injure at least one more combatant before you die from asphyxiation. But you barely managed to handle the heat of this arena, and with your barrier down, you will be unlikely to survive.”

The Way paused, then continued casually, “You could just give up, you know. You’ve fought so long and so hard, but always, you only barely escape. Everything will be over, if you would just let it all go.”

Sinak glared furiously at the Way; he couldn’t believe what he was hearing.

<GIVE UP!?> Sinak roared. He’d lost his temperance like a warmblood but he couldn’t help himself. <THEY TOOK EVERYTHING FROM ME, FROM US!!! THE SHHA’RARKEN!!!>

“At this rate, there is no future for you anyway,” the Way scoffed, “just as there is no future for the Shha’rarken. The way you are going, it is over, has already been over, since the beginning.”

Sinak couldn’t answer. His rage boiled over, but it quickly steamed and cooled like lava hardening into obsidian. He was so angry because the Way was right.

“I warned you, once upon a time, that this need for revenge will destroy you,” the Way said, shaking its head. “Do you know why?”

Sinak wanted to snarl back, but he knew. Because he brought it on himself. When he thought about it, what was the difference between the stalactite and the harpoon?

The Way nodded as though Sinak had answered out loud. It asked once more, “What is your motivation for revenge?”

Sinak began to answer when the Way abruptly roared, “IS IT MERELY THE DEATH OF ALL ‘DIRTWALKERS,’ SINAK!?”

If Sinak could flinch, he would have, Shha’rarken discipline or not, but he was still frozen in time. But then a thought occurred to him. Was he really, truly, with every cell of his being, sure that he wanted revenge in the first place?

“Combat is not the only way,” the Way had once said. “I asked you about your motivation for revenge. The answer you give will not be for me, but for the Championship, and most importantly, for yourself.”

Even now, frozen in an endless instant, writhing in agony, helpless in the grip of Skyfather’s fingers, he wonders.

The results of his unending hunt: hundreds of lives extinguished by tooth and fin. Were they all deserved? Hundreds of thousands of Shha’rarken lives were ended by comparison. Were those deserved as well? Long ago, the Archtraitor Phirsannurroc had instigated the conflict that brought about the doom of the Shha’rarken. The Archtraitor had paid for his crimes with his life, there was no reason to slaughter the rest of his kind. All guilty of the charge of being of the same species.

And what about Sinak? He had thought (and for now, still believed) that blood should be repaid in blood. But how far would he have to go? The giant woman, Sledaristan, far stronger than any Hunter he had ever fought, had asked him to consider peace. The cat-eared female, name yet unknown, had tried and failed to protect a stranger with her life, and fought so fiercely to defend her own. And the countless others before that, the memories of which he had suppressed, unknowingly---

Each time he had fought the Hunters, he always had a means to flee. Perhaps now, with all methods of escape blocked, did he come to realize. Death piled upon death, body piled upon body. All for what? To exact vengeance, an eye for an eye, to fill in a hole that could never be filled?

And now he, Sinak, himself had fallen into the cycle of revenge. Even if he succeeded and killed all the dirtwalkers, it wouldn’t bring back the Shha’rarken; he knew that deep in his heart.

He reflected on the encounter with Sledaristan. He remembered the cat-eared female, the semi-Kh’kkhein, and her will to live and survive. A will not unlike his own. He recalled Ssaatw’ppa, the Ender of Beasts, who fought him with cold determination only to defend the dirtwalkers, because he, Sinak, had struck first. He remembered the ones he spared out of fear, out of regret, out of pity --- and he admitted --- out of compassion. All living creatures, all sentient creatures, Shha’rarken or not, possessed minds, souls, and wills of their own. If others could see it, then Sinak, who possessed the power of telepathy, had no reason not to. Above the material world the flesh existed in which he could see and smell, there was another dimension he could comprehend. It was like he was truly seeing for the first time in his life.

<I understand now, Way of the Water,> Sinak rumbled. <I see the Way.>

The Way smiled. (By the Core, Sinak thought, it smiled!)

“At last,” it said with satisfaction, “you speak with your heart.”

<That may be so,> Sinak harrumphed. <But what use is it now, if you say I will die anyway?>

“Don’t be so sure about that, Sinak,” the Way said dryly. “The currents of the Deep flow in ways you cannot imagine.”

<How do you know so much?>

“Everything you know, and have once known, I know,” the Way said with finality.

(What I know and once knew, it knows?)
((Could it be---?))
(((Impossible.)))
((((Improbable.))))
(((((Inconceivable!)))))

“And before I leave you, know this, as a reminder: What you have done to yourself, the Trials of the Klaayphaunthuu---”

<Huh?>

The Way cut off suddenly and turned. Sinak immediately sensed its alarm. (Fear.) He tried to rise, but could not, for in this perception, time was still frozen. All his electroreceptors flared to life. Danger!

<What is--->

He shudders in fear --- terror more like, for what he sees and feels is far vaster than anything he could or should ever rightly comprehend.

Darkness. Silence.

Presence.

<A piece of us has been awakened.>
<<Awakened.>>
<<<Reborn.>>>
<<<<Returned.>>>>

<We must reclaim.>
<<Reclaim.>>
<<<Reassert.>>>
<<<<Reunify.>>>>

The message was fed, connected from one synapse to another, a billion in a billion in a billion; all but mere specks and pieces of an endless web that stretched across galaxies.

<Pinpoint.>
<<Pointing.>>
<<<Triangulating.>>>
<<<<Located.>>>>

Although he cannot truly see this presence for he is not anywhere near it, he knows that it knows he is here.

<Must we hurry?>
<<Time is but a trifle.>>
<<<We are endless.>>>
<<<<Infinite.>>>>
<<<<<Indomitable.>>>>>

The Empyrean trembled.

As abruptly as it began, the nightmare ended, and Sinak gasped for breath. The Way was gone. And he was instantly reminded of his current predicament. (Pain blurs the perception of time---)

<I am Shinjri’shakraphrjat’shu’Sinaken.>
<<Shha’rarken.>>
<<<Warrior.>>>
<<<<Honorbound.>>>>

Would it really end like this? He struggled but what the Way had said earlier came back to him like a faceful of geyser. He couldn’t get control, and time was running out.

<It can’t end like this!>
<<I now know my purpose.>>
<<<My purpose is not revenge.>>>
<<<<No different from the Archtraitor otherwise.>>>>

((The soft call of the Deep whispered sweetly to him, beckoning a return---))

<As long as I am trapped in the past, there can be no future.>
<<With no future, I might as well be dead.>>
<<<Unacceptable.>>>

<Wait.>

He really was hearing---

Even through the clash of battle and the rumble of the Forge, his enhanced ears picked up the sound past the bedlam. Sweet. Haunting. Mournful. Pleading.

<Years of grudge and hatred cannot be swept away in a single day.>
<<Not by myself.>>
<<<Not when both sides are at fault.>>>

It was the faintest thing, but he latched onto it desperately. And amazingly, incredibly, his panic ebbed as the voice cut through the haze of pain. His eyes snapped back into focus. The familiar crackle overtook his brain, and he rose off the ground as his shield reasserted itself. It was a significant moment for him, even though seemingly no one noticed. The bubble of delusion he had erected around himself for so long had finally been shattered, physically represented by the bursting of his psychic bubble, and now he was reborn.

<But there is one thing I can do, on my own.>
<<With my own body.>>
<<<With my own mind.>>>

Now with the life breath flowing through him once more, his vision cleared and he quickly pinpointed the source of the song. Oh, the irony, he thought. The one who saved him, completely unknowingly, was a mere slip of a female dirtwalker. Why, even the scrawny child from so long ago could probably give her a decent fight. Even if he disregarded everything that had happened thus far, Sledaristan, the cat-eared, and the rest, this one was the last. He understood.

He now knew his purpose.

<I enter the Championship to receive the boon the lords provide.>
<<This boon will not be used for myself or against the children of Skyfather.>>
<<<This boon will represent the hardest fight in my life.>>>
<<<<I fight for an end.>>>>
<<<<<But not one of death.>>>>>

Dao Yulan sat at the veranda, watching the sun set. Well, watching was the wrong term. Like the deceptively silent sea at which he stared at unseeing, underneath the surface his thoughts churned.

So, it was confirmed: the creature that had been terrorizing the near shores was the last of the Shha’rarken, the long thought extinct race of sentient sharks. It was not just any Shha’rarken either. Comparing notes with Daaxos’s writings, Yulan was uneasily aware of how similar its appearance was to symptoms of the Yyranaiad --- the Hunger’s --- mutations. It was perplexing though. From what could be gleaned from Iseul’s and Vasily’s deductions, the creature was acutely intelligent, and seemed to be motivated by a concept all warriors understood: honor. Yes, quite interesting. From his studies of the Hunger, he’d long since thought it was a plague which had no cure, undefeatable and irresistible to all things that were tainted by its touch. And yet this creature, this Shha’rarken, had not only overcome the Hunger’s corruption but actually used it---

Idly, he rolled the two Baoding balls in his palm. He asked himself, despite everything it had done so far, did he really want to kill the Shha’rarken as badly as the Hunters did? He came to the conclusion promptly. No. The attacks were a tragic loss of human life certainly, but really, he was surprised it took this long for the Hunters to receive their comeuppance after the slaughter that was the War of Crimson Tides. No, he hardly cared about that; what the fool Hunters didn’t see was that antagonizing the blasted thing would only make matters worse.

And now the creature had entered the Elemental Championship. A boon granted by the Lords in exchange for victory. There was no guarantee it would win of course, but---

The memory of Iseul’s theory surfaced again. His right iris flashed red as his sclera turned jade-green. Yulan spoke aloud in the darkness, “Imagine if we became friends.”

A deep blue sea, vast, unending.
Its children weep with eternal yearning.
The Way flows as the Way wills.
The Way ebbs and churns, and guidance instills.
Its eyes glow and its lips move.
The Way will speak as the Way will choose.
Above the sea, a darkness threatens to swallow the sky.
An evil that cannot be fought, from which we cannot fly.
Beyond all hope and beyond all fear.
An end to all things we may hold dear.
United they are, with all minds as one.
United must we, under the sea and under the sun.

Deep in the Grotto of the Great Southern Lake, Iseul ran her fingers along the message carved in the stone --- carved by what ostensibly seemed to be a very large scimitar --- and wondered.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 36
8/1/2020 22:42:05   
draketh99
Purple Armadillo

Listen to the chimes, my daughter. Should you hear them, you will see further than anyone.

A searing wave crashed down upon Taria’s skin, drowning her within an ocean of agony and the stench of burnt flesh. Every movement, every pained sob brought forth new screams that wracked throughout her every nerve. Empty silence began to expand around her. The world began to feel so far away. In its place, flourished a sweltering abyss which choked the life and song out from her lungs.

Taria had felt no small amount of pride just moments before. A smug sense of superiority emerged from the strength she had mustered in order to shatter the floor beneath the spider. She liked knowing the creature hurt as she did, that it could be killed as she could be. Within these flames however, there was no more strength to be had. Her pride had been scattered away as embers and ash. The flames themselves screamed in her ears with cries of the damned.

“Stand up.”

“You die if you fall now, Taria.”

“Your own strength must protect you, now.”

Musca’s song, nearly in time to the chimes’ whispers, had shifted to a melody which offered peace. Taria gritted her teeth. If only there could be peace within such a place. Despite her irritation, the song felt like a cooling salve upon her wounds, masking the sting where cloth had burnt away.

Taria slowly fought against the aching that permeated her entire body. She drew herself up to one knee, desperately clinging to the crystalline fang in her hands. The raging inferno of the spider before her seemed to neither approach nor quell.

“How will you stand, Taria?”

“In the face of such power and fury?”

Taria froze. They questioned her now? Were they to abandon her next? They were supposed to guide her. Tears welled in her eyes, leaking out from under the porcelain mask. This was sure to be her punishment; the price of leaving the temple empty of all but royal blood. She was to be led to a house of slaughter and abandoned.

“Please…” She whimpered, “Please don’t leave me here.”

“Taria.”

The fox lifted her head.

“Taria my daughter, can you hear me?”

Father?

Taria felt her father’s hands overtop of her own, his touch as soft as his voice. Of course she was listening. Frustration twined with sorrow into a lightning bolt striking through her heart. She wanted to turn around, to hold onto him. She wanted to hide and ask him to protect her like he had promised he always would. As quickly as she had felt his touch though, it left her hands and heart empty.

No!

The fox cried out, searching for where he could have gone. Everything was too loud. So loud. How could she find him when everything had been so loud? Taria forced herself to stand. A prickling urgency stabbed at the pack of her neck, spurring her to find him before it was too late. She had to ask why the chimes would abandon her like this. She first took a breath. Nothing. She took a second and searched even harder. This time she felt something: a small and familiar thrum in the distance. Taria took a third breath and allowed herself to truly listen. It was there: the song her father would hum in tune to the hundreds of wind chimes within the temple. That song which had written itself upon her heart.

“My daughter, if you want to hear the chimes, you must truly listen. You cannot speak and listen at the same time. You will never hear their wisdom if your doubts speak louder than they.”

Taria gasped for air; her senses alive and panicked as if waking from a nightmare. She felt the whirlwind around her. No longer cloaked from her notice, Taria could see the veil which had blinded her all this time. A whispering vortex of doubt wracked at her ears, demanding to be heard.

“You’re not enough.”

“You’ll never be as strong as her.”

“I…. I’m sorry” She sobbed, “I haven’t been listening, father. Thank you.”

Taria gathered herself. She pulled her shoulders back and stood as tall as she could. Her father’s song still played, hidden underneath a hurricane of screams. She calmed her own heart, she let her chest rest, she pushed everything else away as she listened to that song.

“Taria, you’ve been away for so long.”

“Welcome back, little fox.”

“You aren’t finished yet, child.”

The fox nodded and shifted her focus over to the spider. She allowed her crystalline blade to sing once more, tuning and timing it to her father’s song. Every note erupted into a prism of colors within the little fox’s mind and heart. The melody of the song then wove in upon itself, layering and twining each tone upon another. The swirling clouds of color all tinted to a radiant fuchsia as Taria centered her song upon the spider. That fiery cloud pulsed with dark flashes of crimson. This cloud of blood and flame, at its very center, thrummed with the rhythm of a wounded animal’s dying heart.

“She’s in pain…”

The noise of the arena faded away as Taria narrowed her focus on the spider. She gulped down the bile of fear and regret as she tightened her grip on her crystal fang. She centered the tip of her blade where she imagined her target’s wailing heart to be. If this creature were suffering so much, she would have to end its misery once and for all.

“Taria, you’re to be stronger than that.”

“Blood does not beget peace, little fox.”

“Let my song guide your steps, child.”

Taria took her first step forward, her heart pounding at the realization of what needed to be done. With another step, memories of Dialla came rushing back. The first day an attempt had been made on the life of her sweet baby sister. She remembered the poor girl, barely fourteen years old, sobbing and scared for her own life. She remembered embracing her little sliver of sunshine and assuring her that everything would be alright.

The fox’s attention snapped over to Musca. A clatter of metal on stone as a dagger struck the floor. The siren’s song now radiated with hope and victory, growing louder, higher, and stronger. As the song seemingly hit its peak, everything happened at once. A loud crack erupted from the ceiling. A loud THUNK echoed from the floor just in front of the spider.

“Taria, now is your time.”

“Let your stride be nimble, little fox.”

“Now is the time to show true strength.”

Taria leapt ahead, closing the distance between herself and the spider. Echoes of the girl’s rage lashed out, her breath falling ragged with fear. With her final stride, fox and spider once again met face to face. Taria let her sword arm fall to her side as she raised her left. Mustering what strength she had left, she slapped the spider across the cheek, invoking the vibrations of Shatter to ensure she had the girl’s attention. She then pulled the spider into her embrace, fighting the searing pain of her own burnt wounds. The little fox tried not to flinch, awaiting a death which could arrive at any moment. She fought back the fear that lingered over her. The veil of doubt that screamed of this being a mistake. She held the girl tightly in her arms, offering her comfort, finality, and closure.

“Shush now. You’re alright. It’s over; you’re done.”
DF  Post #: 37
8/1/2020 22:47:07   
roseleaf320
Creative!

Malformed. Violated. Discarded. Spider Lily couldn’t help the drop in her stomach as she considered the body that her tentacled competitor had flung towards her. She sidestepped, her flames finally puttering out. The corpse landed with a jarring thunk beside her. Her flinch was tangible, facial muscles clenching tight as she took in the horrible sight. It was a man, that much was clear-- but his face was hideous. Once-clear eyes were now covered in a bubbling, inky blackness. Once-handsome hair was now replaced with a writhing mass of tentacles. She glanced towards its sender, setting eyes on the squidlike creature she’d noticed earlier. An odd mixture of disgust and relief welled up inside her. She felt her immediate repulsion, and it took all her resolve to do what had felt easy moments earlier, to acknowledge and allow it to take hold on her body. Her stomach clenched, her mouth contorted into a grimace. This monster plays with its kills like they’re food. Thank the gods he decided this man looked juicer than us. He didn’t even die of a wound— every inch of his body covered in a fast-melting sheet of ice. Hypothermia. The thrill she’d felt from feeling, from living, twisted around itself anxiously, recoiling in shock at the sight of the tortured corpse. Her memento mori.

Not every death was beautiful.

If Spider Lily didn’t seek her death out-- didn’t try to plan it before its time-- there might be nobody around when it happened. No one to show her mercy as she had for others, to ensure her death was counted among the beautiful ones. But… did she really have to plan that death out now? When she was starting to have so much fun?

A high pitched scream; a loud crack. Spider Lily’s eyes jolted upwards to find a stalactite hurtling towards the ground. She remembered the arena’s entrance-- a large stalactite slamming through the stone to the lava beneath-- and everything clicked inside her head. Musca had moved the very arena with her song. A peculiar fluttery feeling rose up to mix its smoke with the rest of Lily’s tangled, throbbing mess of emotion. Spider Lily couldn’t quite tell what it was, but she welcomed it more readily than the others, letting it fill her chest and heat her cheeks with a smile she couldn’t control. You’re strong after all, aren’t you Musca? It was a different “strong” than Spider Lily was used to. Perhaps the song was affecting her, but she had a hunch the music was just making clear what was already in the musician’s heart. Musca held a strength that came from standing by her beliefs, from knowing what she wanted and showing the world her worth without letting it taint her. And her strength had given Spider Lily a chance. With all the strength and flames left in her body, Spider Lily grabbed the man’s ankle and spun him across the floor towards Musca. She prayed her strength would be enough to give this man some dignity in his death.

Obsidian knife pierced through the ground beneath-- pierced through the icy prison, the body of the stranger who’d been killed and discarded. Dark stone and lava shot into the air; with them flowed a sea of everything that made up the stranger. Shattered ice and blood from his body; his Life, bright shimmering bubbles twining with blue roses; and a jet black ink that seemed to contaminate everything it touched. Roses withered under its touch; bubbles filled with darkness and popped. Spider Lily mourned the sight. She could not protect his Life Force from the infection it suffered in its last moments. But any trace of it would burn just the same. A simple snap, and ink and rose alike became flames, shining white against the bright orange lava. And in an instant, it all faded away. Orange and white alike returned to their place in the molten sea. The last of it stayed, turning to dark obsidian, healing the arena’s wound. Stalactite and stranger had both disappeared. His Life Force would forever be mixed with the arena’s.

Spider Lily smiled for the man she would never meet. For her little memento mori. Thank you for keeping my excitement in check, tortured stranger. May your rest be eternal, and your memory forever.

Spider Lily stood for a moment, staring at the place where the stranger had disappeared underneath the stone. She felt her body rise and fall as it struggled to breathe. She hadn’t realized how worn her body really was-- wounds numb from pain, lungs burning from the fumes she herself had created. She clutched at the gash Musca had opened on her shoulder, now closed and blackened from her flowery explosion. It took the effort of mountains to even move her arm that much. How ironic would it be, if I died here after all… She heard Musca’s song once more through the ringing of her ears. Its melody wormed through her mind easily. It spoke of pride, of the competitors all as allies, protecting one another. It could never be-- but it was a welcome distraction from the feeling of each of Lily’s functions going dark one by one. I’m sure it would be fine… if I just close my eyes for a minute… to focus on the music…

The numbness that took over her body was broken through in an instant, a stinging slap that vibrated across her cheek. Her eyes bolted open, met again with the mask of the Fox, she was not ready, she could not move fast enough to counter as the woman raised her arms-- and wrapped them harmlessly around Spider Lily’s waist. There was no malice in the touch, no pain, no ill intent. It felt utterly foreign.

Mother’s arms flinching away from her fingers as Lily tried to grab her wrist. She was scared of the thunder-- why wouldn’t Mommy pick her up?

But the Fox, an enemy, someone she’d tried to kill, embraced her without hesitation. “Shush now. You’re alright. It’s over, you’re done.” Her voice was so soothing, so easy, sweeping over Spider Lily’s ears with welcome calm. Hesitantly, as if her arms did not understand what she was telling them to do, Lily wrapped them around the woman’s torso. It was singed and wet with blood-- my fault. But it was strong, it felt… like a rock in the middle of a raging ocean. Something she could hold onto. Safe. It feels safe.

With a name to the emotion, Lily’s walls dropped without her even giving her a chance to grab onto them. Fear, exhaustion, confusion, all salty ocean water that crashed over her in waves and stung at her burned wounds. She held tight to her Fox, hands pressing against her back, head dipping to rest on her shoulder. Her neck smelled like sweat and burning leather. Spider Lily didn’t care. She felt her own breathing slow; she felt the coolness of water fall to rest between her face and the Fox’s neck. She realized she’d never gotten the Fox’s name. Yet here the woman was anyways, holding her as a lover would hold their crying spouse.

Is there a way to love without causing pain?

She rested there for a moment, in the Fox’s soothing arms. Taking the moment to breathe. She’d come here to die, yet her body was still standing, held up by the very woman she’d called her enemy. Everything was so complicated, so confusing. There was so much to feel, to learn, to experience. Death would come for her-- and when it did, her explosion would be glorious. But why not live while she was waiting? “Thank you,” she whispered to the woman, surprised her voice still worked, hoping she didn’t convey the same malice she’d held in their last exchange. “My name is Lily.”

Post #: 38
8/2/2020 12:42:34   
  Starflame13

Amidst the shrieks of shattered glass and rock, light receded. The river of molten lava shrank back against its banks, leaving shimmering fumes in its wake. The cracks along the ground gleamed, warming the stone to a near unbearable heat. And then the chamber shuddered.

Stalactites plummeted downwards in a series of resounding cracks, raining shards of black glass amongst the competitors. The sheer volume of their peals echoed from wall to wall, ceiling to floor, until naught else could be sensed, could be heard, could be heeded but the pulsing thrum of pain.

Without warning, the screams silenced, leaving those in the arena shaking and shivering in the sudden chill. Dull grey light filtered through the now smoke-filled ceiling, illuminating the equally dull, roughened floor that stretched across to the exits beyond. But such an escape was not for everyone, as several competitors had vanished from the Forge in the chaos.

Vanished to be taken to their final battle. The Paragons were chosen. The fight for Champion was at hand.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 39
8/3/2020 19:17:05   
Anastira

Carina opens her eyes.

She has not been chosen.

She is grateful.

Her eyes meet the sunlight and finally, at last, after all of these years, she does not shrink from it, she is not scared of the people seeing her, of the sun beating its rays against her bare face. Her projection wavers and shrinks, becomes a young girl with flowing hair and flickering dress lifting around her ankles. She smiles. She does not think she has smiled in a very long time.

The healers crowd around her, but she slips away from them, wraith-like, dancing away as though on air. She wants to forget this. She wants to forget the arena, the sound of the stalactites crashing before she made her final exit, the searing heat of the lava. She was right all along: she does not belong here in Bren. Without the arena - without the paragons, she would not have understood herself; but she was not meant to go further, to fight in the finals. This place: it is not who she is. She is not a creature of anger, or hate, or blood. She is a creature of music.

And if she had tried to help, if she had changed her boon - she would be meddling in a world that did not belong to her.

“My child,” a voice says, almost in her ear. There are hands, rough and weathered but so unimaginably gentle, draping cloth around Carina’s body, a light silky dress; the hands tie it tight at her waist, the fabric flowing out in graceful folds, shushing against her skin. The hands: a mother’s hands, a mother’s touch. Carina shivers.

“Jendayi,” she whispers, and then, realizing, “mama,” wrapping herself into Jendayi’s embrace, feeling the warmth of Jendayi like a flame in a hearth. So different from the arena, from its white-hot lava and its harsh obsidian stalactites.

“You are so young,” Jendayi whispers. “So fragile. I was so worried about you, m’euiladin. I never expected you’d find a place like this to make your choice. You scared me.” Her hands stroke Carina’s face, her hair, and then she begins to sing: her lullaby - the same lullaby Carina had remembered in the arena; but as she sings the words transform themselves, the syllables slipping together, exotic, Jendayi’s voice almost a physical soothing.

ain le xia nai
lilluan naitaeon la
naitaeonu lilluana
somer filian
ai m’lanu, m’euiladin, m’allalu
m’ilnaia
vintra silalu, l’allalu, m’euiladin…

Carina lets herself sink into the sound of it, her music silencing itself so that Jendayi may sing; and then, at last, Carina looks up, meets Jendayi’s eyes, a question burning on her lips like fire.

“How did you know?”

“Hmmm?”

“How did you know I’d come here? When I left, I -” Her cheeks burn with shame at the memory. “I left without telling you. How did you know…”

“Because I knew,” a second voice says from behind her, and she turns so fast her head rings, she feels dizzy - blood loss, maybe, or just the shock - and she feels it, Auriga tugged like a fishing line, even though it’s on her belt, she’s not even touching it; the strength of it drawing her in so quickly she moves without thinking. And then she’s in his arms, he’s touching her, the projection falls away and the look he gives her - oh, she will remember this for a long time.

“My God,” he whispers. “Musca.”

She does not correct the name.

“The projection,” he whispers, “you’re more beautiful without it.” He dips her low, almost to the ground, kisses the place where her pulse beats at her neck - where the fox’s blade scarred her throat. She feels the heat rise in her cheeks and against his mouth. Once, she would’ve called this indecent, his hands cradling her as he tilts her back, his lips brushing her skin, the people parting around them like a sea, but she doesn’t care. She’s tired, she realizes abruptly, so so tired, and in pain, too, but none of it matters; everything else seems so insignificant against the softness of his lips and the feeling of his arms around her.

She closes her eyes, feels this, freezes it into her memory; and when she opens them again, they are shining with tears, her throat feels choked up. “Cailean,” she whispers, “I don’t belong here. This place, this arena, it was never meant to be part of me. This isn’t my universe.”

“I know.”

“But I was scared. I’m terrified, actually. I’ve been walked out on so many times before and I just - I can’t do it again. I don’t want to be abandoned again.” She shuts her eyes, as tight as she can manage, as though somehow she can shutter the tears away and stop them from coming, and she feels his hand moving against her cheeks, brushing them away. “Please.”

“I’m not going anywhere, Carina. You know that.” His lips brush her chin again, her neck, and then he lifts her upright and pulls her to him. “Jendayi and I, we’re your family. This isn’t your place, you’re right. So let’s go home.” He looks her straight in the eyes. “Your story is elsewhere. It begins elsewhere, ends elsewhere, exists elsewhere. Not here. You were never meant to be here. You belong to a different world - a different universe.”

His voice comes to her as though in a dream after that. Misty, almost. He tells her to forget. To remember everything as though the darkness never took her soul, as though the arena never existed, and strangely, hypnotically, it all seems to wash away: these twisted memories, these broken songs. The war drums fading into silence. The arena distant, as though it happened to someone else and not to her, as though she heard about it secondhand in a wayward tavern.

She takes a deep breath, in, out.

She kisses him, there in the sunlight in the middle of all of the people, uncaring, her dress flowing around her and her hair tugged by the breeze, her eyes glowing with the stars and constellations she holds within her; and she knows: she’s going home.

A story, told on the lips of a blind man:

I stand on the slopes of San and the Ai-ni do not see me. The stepped farms flow like the spine of an ancient creature down to the villages, the jeweled boats ride across the lakes and the rivers like graceful birds on the water, the lanterns swoop from street to street and between buildings in sweeping garlands flickering with the light of a thousand fireflies. The people dance. There is singing, and fire. A gong.

A rustling, and a girl appears, coffee-skinned and gray-eyed with braids in her long hair and a long white scar at her throat - as though inflicted by a blade - her skirt made of grass and resting low on her hips. A young fawn follows her, doe-eyed, perfectly white, as though sculpted from the branches of a silver birch. Its eyes glow amber, its circled crown of horns glinting speckled in the darkness.

Behind her, a boy works at a forge, his silhouette dark in the misted glass of the window.

I stand beneath the hanging gardens of Ila Nam-Ishtau, and the Nam-Ishta do not see me. A mechanical bird flutters past and stoops to prick a flower with its beak. The petals convulse. There is a fragrance of memories. The vines shiver and curl themselves more tightly against the canopy of greenery, an airborn forest.

A woman stands before me, tall and bronzed, amber hair and dark eyes - or amber eyes and dark hair; it is hard to know. She wears the emblem of the inventors, but her hands cup a real bird within her fingers, its heart beating against her palms. I can hear its singing. It is as they say: the music of the birds is the song of living, the song of the world; nothing is more beautiful, or so unearthly. She is beautiful, too, a strange kind of lullaby, but she will not stay here; I know that. She belongs in Ila as little as the child inventor belongs in San.

I stand in the temperate mountains of Vikshdorme, and the Shtoro do not see me. The grasses tremble in the wind’s passing, the Elder Sun shines its twilight against the warming soil. I count the domes of the keeper’s keepings: Eliavske, Kishtante, Nevske, one for each sun. A center of faith, keeper of times, protector of knowledge: three-pronged where all truth is preserved. A young faithful steps into the embered light, cradling a three-handed compass. To know where the suns always are, as the Nam-Ishta would say, is to forget where oneself stands.

The girl turns to face me, but still she does not see. Her skin is silvery, her hair is white. She moves with a strange grace, like the wind itself, like the water of the Ai-ni. These people have spent so long in their little paradise; how much have they lost to ignorance?

I would visit the war-peoples and the artists, too, but those lands sprawl far from here, and I can feel myself fading. What would be the point? I could walk there, I could go as far as I wished, and still they would not see me. To them, I am invisible. And yet I am blind, but I see more than they do. They would call it magic. Is it magic, to see what others cannot? Or is it simply understanding?

They do not know the world they live in. The faithful in Vikshdorme, the inventors of Ila Nam-Ishtau, the living of San. They are all so unaware. They do not see what comes.

But I have seen.

The silvered woman stares at a keeping, her eyes deciphering the characters one at a time.

As she stares, the passage begins to fade.

She blinks. A child, one of their own, memories that make no sense: a mountain pass, a sheath of daggers, a stalactite and molten lava. A place that should not exist in this world, and yet it exists now. There is some link to it. And yet - it will fade again in time, she is sure of it. Sooner or later - perhaps sooner rather than later.

She is overwhelmed suddenly with the force of memory, of feeling: a white fox’s mask, a dark woman holding a flower. The heat of the lava rising around her, the blackness.

She shrinks away from it. This is no place for a child - no place for a living thing.

My God, she thinks. There is a disturbance. We are like a child playing with a fire, and we will be burnt.

But every forge must be fueled by a flame.
AQW  Post #: 40
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> RE: =EC 2020= Forge Arena
Page 2 of 2<12
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition