Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=EC 2020= Twilight Arena

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> =EC 2020= Twilight Arena
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/11/2020 22:56:41   
  Starflame13

The sun crested the horizon, its rays glinting off steel armor and silvered weapons as they wove through Bren’s congested streets. Shouts and laughter rose above the excited babble, growing louder along with the crowds as more and more people filtered into the city. From strangers to old friends, visiting dignitaries to lowly cutpurses, lone travelers to entire families, all kinds were drawn by the Arena’s call. Children ran about underfoot while city guards attempted to maintain some semblance of order. Coins changed hands as veterans and newcomers alike scouted out potential competitors, debating this one's skill or that one's survival.

No matter the verdict, the Arena drew all of them onwards. Through the wide city gates. Across the twisted streets lined with shops and inns. Past grimy alleyways and grand courtyards tucked amongst the houses. Up and over the final bridge, along the cobblestones of Supplicant’s Way - polished smooth by the footsteps of pilgrimages past. To the entrance of the complex itself - a looming gateway that swelled to grant access to the tide of hopefuls and spectators surging through it.

And here, the crowd parted. Many streamed towards the sands, shoving and jostling against each other in the hopes of better seating. But the entrants found themselves alone. Whether led by unseen officials or by magic itself, the Arena tugged them forwards toward their fate. A destiny of bloodshed and carnage. A chance for one to stand victorious. A hope, however slim, of earning a Boon.

All that stood in their way was the Arena itself, and the greatest combatants the world had to offer.

More and more shadows gathered at the corners of the hallways as the number of torches along the walls decreased, then ceased entirely. Light and noise faded quickly behind the competitors as they journeyed further along their path. The only illumination came from the faintest glow that materialized on the solid teakwood door barring the way. A sun in gold, a moon in silver, their tendrils of pale light intertwined around each other, more ominous than comforting.

Truth. Trickery. Apprehension. Betrayal. No solace exists in the shadows of Twilight.

The sigil winked out as the door swung open to allow entrance to the pitch-black room beyond. A larger symbol, this one set into the floor at the arena’s center, produced just enough light to reveal the alternating panels of white and black wood beneath. Then it winked out of existence, leaving the fighters in total darkness.

A single spotlight pierced through the gloom - its source lost amongst the shadowed ceiling as it rippled over the monochrome wooden walls. It made one complete circuit of the room. Then two, its beam unnaturally bright as it swung about in eerie silence. At last, it returned to highlight the center - where the sigil had vanished from sight.

With a single piercing wail, the cone split into eight. Eight spotlights swept outwards from the center to focus on the different entryways - illuminating each combatant and placing their movements on display. They chased after their forms, their weapons, leaving no target unseen and no secret unrevealed, the rest of the room still dark as pitch.

Then came the announcement, a great, booming baritone that seemed to come from everywhere and nowhere at once. “And so begins the Trial of Illumination. Fight or Die, adventurers, but let the Elemental Championships begin!”
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 1
7/14/2020 0:05:34   
  Chewy905

Chromatic ArchKnight of RP

The stone was cold against his bare feet, his footsteps falling quietly as he shuffled along. Yet each was punctuated by the crack of his staff against the ground. He did not mean to appear menacing, but when your life is fading, and you stand at the precipice of death at all times, your appearance tends to fall out of your control. He stopped, his dark eyes sweeping the streets, filled with bustling folk. Here, there was mirth and joy. A celebration that took the entire township up in its grasp, holding it aloft. Though he had traveled all the world, never once had he found a place quite like Bren.

He smiled, chuckling slightly. There were those that claimed he had made this place. That somehow his bones had wound their way below these streets, his hands molding it to his liking before he set it down upon the world like a toy on a table. These myths were wrong, of course. Mori could never create something as beautiful and lively as Bren.

His eyes narrowed as he saw a man shouting, advertising the “finest steel, fit for a paragon.” His scars burned, aching with pain eons old. Death was here, too. This celebration, this joy, it was all for Death. The thought was almost comforting.

A slight cough, a smirk, then he shuffled forward once more, staff cracking against the ground. As he passed through the streets, the crowds would part, ghosts falling in line before their master. Sometimes, there were whispers; fear, pity, and disgust. Sometimes, there was nothing; simply the shifting of shades as the people continued their conversations, not even noticing that they stepped aside for the old man to walk unhindered.

From a door came sound. Music. Mori tilted his head, listening carefully to the tune. It was joyous and upbeat, a celebration, and an invitation to the room within. He glanced at the sign above, amusedly noting the letters missing, perhaps stolen by some lad on a dare. “The Leaking ----”. A tavern? An inn? It didn’t matter what it was, Mori had yet to be killed by music. He shuffled - cracked - his way up to the open door, and stepped through.

Light, sound, joy. The tavern was certainly full, with patrons shouting excitedly, as their drinks sloshed through the air and spilled to the wooden floor. Mori watched the stage as he moved through the room, enjoying the energy the violinist put into their craft.

And then the song faltered, a few notes missed. The musician’s eyes had opened at the sound of Mori’s staff on the ground, and her gaze had settled on his own. Even across the room, peering through the crowd, Mori was able to read her expression; fear. Did she think the reaper had come for her? Or perhaps she was familiar with the tales, the myths, and believed she was seeing the face of a god.

He chuckled lightly as she quickly regained her composure and continued her piece, the missed notes fading into nothing but memory. Her music really was lovely- it was a shame he couldn’t stay to listen. Bren was a city built around a purpose, after all, and it was this purpose that had called his shuffling feet to its streets.

He approached a wooden table, set off to the side of the room and flanked by a myriad of colorful flags. A young man sat behind it, chattering excitedly to a woman in a full suit of armor. The woman was hunched over, scribbling furiously at paperwork. Mori waited until she was finished, then stepped up in her place. The man glanced at him, and Mori watched some color drain from his face for just a moment, before his eyes flicked away, focused on some point beyond the old man.

“Sir, I trust you are aware this stand is for registration for the Elemental Championships?”

Though he spoke to Mori, his eyes continued to be everywhere else, bouncing around the room like a child’s toy balls. Amusing. Mori went to speak, but his voice caught. Doubling over, he began to cough, heavy and repeatedly, causing his stomach to contract in pain as he tried to regain his composure.

“Sir? Sir!? Are you alright?”

He took a deep breath as he recovered, gathering himself together, and spoke. His voice was raspy, yet soft as a whisper drifting along the air. “Yes. I wish to enter.”

The man’s voice was gentle, and full with concern. His eyes had found Mori’s form, and yet he did not balk. “Are you sure you’re fit to...”

Compassion and worry. The man saw Mori’s dying form, felt the fear radiating off of him, and still held the ability to care for his well-being. Oh, to be a human.

Mori drew a hand up, pulling back his cloak and revealing the bone of his forehead. His toothless mouth formed into a kind smile. “Child, look upon me. If I could keel over so easily, the Lords would have taken me already. I assure you, I will put on a show worth watching.”

The man seemed convinced, allowing Mori’s smile to become his own. “Certainly, sir. Your name, then?”

“Mori.”

“Your element?”

“Darkness.”

The questions continued, the man’s quill scritched across the parchment and marking down details. After Mori had finished signing his parts, the man asked one more question.

“So, are you here to wish for eternal life? To return to your youth?”

Mori’s gaze hardened, faces and memories flashing through his vision. His scars and wounds ached, burned, hot pain rushing through his body and clamping down on his heart.

“I. Am. Not.”

The light in the arena's corridor was dying, growing fainter and fainter with each crack Mori took along the ground. With it, of course, came dark. It flooded in, gathering at the corners of the hall, sweeping in through slits in the walls to swallow up everything in sight. Mori felt a pull from within, something yearning to escape from his chest. It was an odd feeling, something he, he, had never experienced. He stopped short, the small sliver of light from a singular torch casting his shadow behind him, as he closed his eyes and reveled in the new feeling.

It was growing stronger with each second. A rope around his very soul, drawing taught and yanking gently, yet steadily. He waited, allowing the force to reach its apex, then released.

Mori buckled over, all of his force falling down on his staff, shaking as it supported his frail body. The mental rope took its prize from his being and dragged it down to his fingers, wrapping around them and solidifying into physical bands of silver. Black stones winked up at him, seeming to glow with a reflection of the torchlight. As he gazed into them, entranced by their beauty, the reflection changed, and Mori was lost.

He stands, leaning heavily on his staff as chains of bone fly forth.

The others advance, weaving carefully around the curses, undeterred by the nature of their foe.

They step close, and he stumbles back, unable to escape.

Silver flashes through the darkness, piercing through the man’s chest, the man’s heart, and exiting through the other side.

In his last moments of consciousness, he smiles.

The silver bands break.

Bone and chain scream forth, cutting down all heedlessly. “Beneath me!” It - Mori - shouts, with a voice that has lived hundreds of lives and ended thousands more. “Beneath me for I am God and you are nothing!”

The skeletal form stands atop a mountain of corpses, gazes down at the Lords, and takes its boon.

And the Gods - his brothers, his sisters - cheered.

Mori lifted his staff up, wobbling slightly as his support vanished, then thrusted it down. Wood met skin, crushing rather than piercing, and he grimaced at the dull pain. He stumbled, his staff touching the ground once more as his weight shifted to it to prevent him from toppling over completely.

The image in the reflection distorted, then vanished, snapping Mori’s mind back to reality and leaving him alone in the darkness. The echoes of the skeleton’s, nay, his laughter continued to ring out in his head. The single torch flickered quietly, playing with the shape of the trembling man’s shadow as would a cat with a light.

“They’ve chained me.” He whispered, a hint of humor in his voice as he recognized the grim irony of the fact. “They’ve locked away my rebirth. And if these rings break, nay. These rings will not break. I will not let me out. But… here I can die.

If only the others had come, things would be so much easier.

Strengthening his resolve, Mori continued forth, allowing the void to swallow him up as even the lone torch abandoned him. The crack of his staff echoed down the hall, the only sound penetrating the absolute silence that ruled the corridor.

The man examined the door, the only object that gave off any illumination in the pitch-black hall.

A sun of gold. The dying man thought. A moon of silver. Intertwined to form something that disturbed the heart and perturbed the soul.

It’s beautiful.

As the door swung open, allowing shadow to meet shadow in an endless tunnel of nothingness, Mori followed, the void almost tugging him along as his staff continued to crack against the wooden floor. The beautiful sigil, the lone source of light, winked out, allowing darkness to cascade across the room and shroud all senses.

As soon as it had arrived, it was split once more, a single circle of light revealing the wooden walls, sweeping across in a silent circuit. Mori blinked the spots out of his eyes as his hearing was assaulted by a violent wail that cut through the quiet and the light itself, dividing it in eight. The glowing siblings swept out, rushing to light the hopefuls. Mori glanced up at his own watcher, regarding it with uncertainty. He was never one to crave attention, but there was something comforting about its all-revealing luster.

Thus as a great, booming voice declared the trial’s commencement, Mori reached up and dropped his hood, inviting all to gaze upon his illuminated form and join him in the coming dance.

No secrets. No surprises. We shall gaze into each other’s eyes and watch our lives be snuffed out.

Post #: 2
7/14/2020 18:26:44   
Caststarter

Crimson dripped and froze off the tip of the dreadful blade, lonely moon glinting off its pale surface. Dim lights coalesced from the brutalized corpse of a man, whose arm was crushed, neck slashed open with blackened skin throughout. Before long, the sword forcibly pulled in the lights as it practically devoured all of them. Screams of the lost and hateful flooded the ears of the hell knight, before silence quenched it all out. Weak, merely nourishment for His Excellency. From behind the visor, the knight inspected the nicked battle axe, as well as the dented plated armor. The steel armor was grotesquely misshapen, nicks in the axe hastily ground out.

Clacking of scabbards, hafts, and brushing of armor encroached closer and closer. Without hesitation, Ricarda embraced the shadows further into the alleyways. Swiftly, the loud cacophony grew closer and closer. “There!” a voice shouted. However, the hell knight absentmindedly walked around the corner, as if the threat was nothing but peasants. With a flick of the wrist, ice grew off the tip of the edge. The cruel warrior turned towards the corner and brought down her sword arm. The sword, like a war pick, rushed through its course, as an unprepared guard’s mail at the neck caved, metal rings bending and flying off. Ice cracked and broke off the sword, as the victim collapsed to the side, coughing in pain.

More dim lights trailed as the guard fell, as two of his undaunted colleagues raised their poleaxes. Ricarda cocked her head, shield arm stretched forth, sword hand hidden from view. The interlopers stepped forth with quick diagonal strikes down, as if the lights were never in front of them. The warrior rushed forth in turn, shield intercepting the haft of the left attack as it smashed into the nearby wall. Simultaneously, her sword met with the flat of the axe of the right attack before it truly gained momentum.

As the poleaxe was deflected, the knight swiftly angled the cursed sword at the offender. Rapidly, a rock of ice formed in the air whereupon it flung towards the assailant, as mist trailed behind. The guard tilted his head to the side, ice flying mere inches from his ear. His companion took the opportunity to hook in his weapon at the warrior’s leg. The knight sprung to the side, however, then ferociously charged in turn with the shield in front of the poleaxe’s spear end. Metal to metal collided, where clangs reverberated throughout the alleyway. Forcefully, the hapless guard slammed against the wall, armor dented by the force from the shield’s central spike.

Eye glance at the edge of the bascinet’s visor, the guard’s comrade backed away with his poleaxe retracted, angled at the knight’s shoulders. Ricarda maneuvered her shield up, bottom rim towards the wall, as she brushed it against the dazed guard. The worthless soul swiftly was knocked to the side as his pauldrons collided into the point of the thrust. Before the battered guard could recover, the hell knight stepped in and thrust her cold sword into the arm pit beneath the pauldron. The man gasped and croaked in pain as he collapsed to his knees, poleaxe barely in his opposite hand.

The wounded guard's companion threw his weapon away, face contorted at the very sight of the murderous warrior, and lifted and dragged his comrade around the corner. “We got casualties! I repeat, we got casualties!” Almost shaky shouts roared out, as if all strength was mustered to even let air out. Useless. In time, the lights of the departed were then consumed by the sword once more, as the hell knight marched into the darkness. The lifeless moon still hovered in the sky, without remorse for all.

---

You were meant to be a tyrant of mortals. Hate is your weapon. Wrath is your iron grip. No dissent. No mercy. No empathy. Humans are cruel creatures. Embrace it, for that is what you are meant to be.

Ghostly ice coalesced in front of the tainted soul masked by the darkness, a chill permeating the air. Crack by crack, chip by chip, the solid rock of ice crumbled and shaped into a cursed sword, embedded in the ice. With a solid outstretched grip, a hand of scorched skin took hold of the handle. Blood slid down from the hand but then was absorbed into the grip. However, the fingers wrapped around even tighter. The tainted soul, without restraint, tore through numb inducing shards and ripped the sword out of its icy prison.

You are chosen to shed blood in my name. You shall obey me. My vengeance is your vengeance. Mortals must pay their due. Destroy my bonds, grant me souls for me to consume and enslave, and slaughter any who believe in the false primordial’s lies. Especially that vile strategist. In turn, your rightful place in the world shall be granted.

A blast of cold wind enveloped what amounted to creation itself, vicious ice tearing at the soul’s skin. Yet the pain surmounted was meaningless, nothing but a touch to the raging heart. The wind settled, sight gaining clarity of a vast frozen landscape, lighted by a grim moon.

If you serve me well, this shall be your domain. Filled with your own army of undead, demons, and enslaved mortals. They tend for you. They obey you. Now, go out. Bring what should be justice to those who wronged you.

“Yes, My Excellency,” a deathly whisper crept out. With the deal sealed, the cold void embraced the soul, its inner light snuffed out.

---

The sun’s blistering presence beamed down to the hot, hard ground, as the masses moved about. The cruel knight, off in the cool alleyway, gazed into the crowd. Hoods, helmets, all merged together, all in this incoherent mess. Shield was kept at front, center spike no longer detached. The sword was kept in its red leather wrapped scabbard. Minute by minute, she leaned against the wall, as the sun drifted higher and higher in the sky.

Then, off the far end of the street, wooden rifle slung over the shoulder grew visible. Bald head. Tanned. Skittish. Flighty. Eyes darted at every possible direction. The knight melded into the crowd, readily marching towards the target. She brushed against innocuous passersby, all who took a quick glance be they commoner, merchant, or warrior. All started to shuffle away. Any who were directly in her path, she plowed through them, undeterred, by throwing them by the shoulder to the side.

“Hey.”

“In a hurry that much?!”

“Picking a fight?!”

Murmurs traveled throughout the crowd, evolving into shouts, progressing further into threats. The bald rifleman took a cursory glance behind him, his left eye widened at the stalking menace. He lunged forward, barging through the masses towards the nearby arena complex. Ricarda tackled through even more commoners and warriors, as coins clattered to the ground. Armor plates clicking as they came into contact with anyone in the vicinity.

The crowd began to part as the commotion grew and grew. The target, as soon as the crowd gave way, began to sprint over the bridge towards the ominous gate. A spear pointed up to the sky, wielder hidden by coats, armor, and bags. The knight rushed forward, shield at the ready to the side. Once the guard revealed her crooked face, spear haft angled forward, the warrior punched with the rim of her shield, arm springing forth with brutal speed. As it collided against the guard, whose helmet shook and ringed out, she flung back, stumbling into bystanders.

Up towards the gate, the tanned man spun around, aiming down the sites of his wooden rifle.

Too many to make a good shot, fool.

Ricarda raised her shield over her head and shoulders. Gunpowder detonated, as the iron shield flung back as the knight’s arm recoiled, almost dropping down to her rear knee. The rifle boom cracked throughout the air. Yet the warrior surged forward regardless.

“Let the arena take care of them!” a city authority by a desk barked out. Prey and predator rushed through the arena’s gate, torch lights enveloping around them. The rifleman stumbled and clumsily poured black powder into the rifle barrel. Meanwhile, Ricarda pulled out the large spike out from her belt and screwed it back into the center of her shield. Darkness encroached, as torch by torch diminished. In time, no torches lined the path. The only light remained was a weak glow from a golden sun and silver moon, tendrils like vines coursing over a wooden door.

The prey backed up against the door, pushing an iron ball down into the barrel. As the knight marched towards, the weak light flickered out. Almost immediately, the doorway swung out, a solid crash against the wall, revealing a sigil in an otherwise pitch black room. Clattering echoed right in front of the knight, who merely advanced forward still. From the false sky, a powerful light patrolled the outskirts of the room. Sword’s edge scraping across the inside of the scabbard as the air grew to a chill, rifle loading, steel plates clinking against each other, all pierced the silence. One flash, sword drawn out, shield forward, rifle at the cusp of being aimed. Another, blinding flash, the sword was raised, the prey’s rifle pointed forward. Gunpowder detonated once more along with a wail and wood cracking.

Darkness masked the aftermath. Cones of light beamed down from above, splitting into 8.

Moment by moment, the lights went in all cardinal directions, the truth no longer masked by the darkness. Sword right through the rifleman’s heart, his blood having coated the immediate area of his tanned leather vest. He gripped where the sword punctured through, eyes bulged out. Fingers loosened, where his rifle slipped and clattered to the ground. The knight pulled her sword arm back, allowing the prey to ungracefully flop backwards to the ground. Life essence consumed by the sword.

Mags. Barely worthy enough for His Excellency’s service.

“And so begins the Trial of Illumination. Fight or Die, adventurers, but let the Elemental Championships begin!”

Ricarda hovered her gaze throughout the room, disinterestedly as she began to retreat back towards the exit.

Yet counter clockwise cursory glances begged her to stop.

Armored, grizzled warrior. Commander?

Man with a ring of rocks right beside him. Adept magician or a mockery of one?

Cracking staff held by a slouched over, malnourished body. Husk.

Bone white armor, massive blade. Supernatural human?

Street chef-like clown. Clown.

Scarlet scales, tattered wings. Dragon!

The knight advanced at a rapid pace, sword hand behind the shield. Potential targets locked, most aggressively towards the warrior with the massive blade and the convenient dragon. The light allowed the demonic heraldry to be accentuated all the more, with a notable hole in the lower surcoat. The blade glistened in the light, even though it was not born from joy.

Now you two shall be most welcomed in His Excellency’s service. If you will, embrace death swiftly!
DF  Post #: 3
7/15/2020 19:44:41   
deathlord45

I could feast here for ages, take a few here and there, never enough to… never enough… NEVER ENOUGH… IT’S NEVER ENOUGH.

The ancient beast licked his lips as his eyes hungrily darted about the diverse multitude of meals that wheeled terrified away from his meandering through the city. The great light of the sun poured down upon him harder than it likely did for the simple meals around him, as if it was trying to burn him from the face of creation. That insistent infernal eternal emptiness that dwelled within his core screamed at him to let go again and gorge himself on the helpless weaklings before him; forcing Drageados to call upon some tattered forgotten figment of the proud creature he once was to drown it out since he was so close to being free.

They screamed out to various lords of the elements as ravenous berserker of a dragon descended without mercy upon circles of magi, knightly orders, teams of heroes, cohorts of villains, and the endless tide of simple peasants. In time though he heard of more, of greater things, of what could be his salvation from his boundless insatiable hunger. They all died screaming and cowering surrounded by the corpse of their fellows though not before he had learned all he felt he could from them. Whatever semblance of a mighty dragon that remained wouldn’t allow him to pass up any opportunity to learn of a way to free himself from his hunger.
In time Drageados learned of these so called Elemental Championships of how champions of these elemental lords did battle to win a wish. During his unceasing hunt he found a chosen of darkness, a potential champion.

"Where…"

"W-ww-w-what?"

"Where… is… Bren?"

"T-t-th-that w-w-way."

"Guide… me."

"Y-y-y-ye-yes sir. R-r-r-rig-right away s-s-s-sir."

She was a fine meal last night. What was her name again? Can’t have been that important unlike mine if I’ve forgotten so quickly.
A rasping wheezing chuckle uttered forth from his throat as his claws scrapped against the solid floor of the arena foyer. Putting as much weight into his gait as possible Drageados pushed his way to this central desk that seemed important.

"Darkness… where…"

"Excuse me sir, but please wait your turn. We’re getting as many people registered as quickly as possible."

Drageados looked down at the simple spearman in front of him, stretched his right leg and claws and placed them on the spearman’s head before simply tossing them to the side.

"Darkness… where…"

Bringing his full attention back to the people behind the desk.

"Right. We’ll need your name for the form before you can –"

"Drageados…"

"Alright. I’ll assume Darkness is your element. Let’s see you’ll be in the Twilight Arena it’s gonna be qui-"

"Where…"

"Down that hall to the left… aaand it’s gone. Hey boss I need to take a break!"

Descending into the total darkness Drageados found himself comforted and confident within it before a burst of light bloomed in the center of the combat area. It split into eight spreading out to illuminate both himself and the other combatants. A few things drew his attention, an armored warrior with a corpse at their feet before they started in his general direction, and a clacking of something on stone. a primeval growl of one predator to another that has entered their territory escaped his throat, as he looked directly across the combat area to his opposite.

"MINE… THEY… ARE… MY… FOOD…"
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 4
7/16/2020 0:32:17   
Thyopath

With each step into the plunging darkness that Oro takes, the reality of where his life’s fate has taken him really begins to set in. With nothing to hear but the light thuds of each footfall on the wood panels, he can’t help but think back to a simpler time when life wasn’t difficult. When he didn’t need to fight to be himself. When the only difficulty was the attempts to impress his father who never really saw the potential that he possessed as a blacksmith.

Coming from a family of blacksmiths, and rather successful ones at that, Oro’s childhood wasn’t normal. Instead of the bouncing of a ball or the laughing of other children being the first thing that he thinks of, instead it's filled with the loud sounds of clashing metals as he worked tirelessly under his father.

“Oro, you’re nothing to this family if you cannot keep our family name intact. How are you even my son?” Watching as his father slammed his tools onto a nearby table storming out murmuring to himself something inaudible.

Frozen still, with nothing but shock that overwhelmed him as his father seemed to have lost his faith in his own son. This was the last vivid memory that Oro had with his father: from this point on he never really got to see him, but wanted nothing more than to work to impress him at any cost.

From this day onward, Oro worked vigorously trying to craft something to his father's standards, but with each hit of the hammer to the metal he tried to craft it just never felt the same. The joy that once filled his heart when working with his father seems to have fizzled out, nothing was working.

“Nothing.”

The last words Oro’s free body got to make before the fated day where his life would no longer be solely his own, but instead a combined destiny that he shared unable to detach himself, having him always thought back to the time when his father said:

“How are you even my son?”

“Is this what he meant? Maybe I never really was his son, maybe this was always what I was meant to be.”

A running rumor around town was about a cave that had a metal that was seeming to make miners in the area go insane. It was the first of its kind and most people didn’t seem to want to mess with its power with all of its reported cases of insanity. However, this was different for Oro. He saw this as an opportunity to stand out from his father and become his own person with the last name he holds, or maybe he could even impress his father enough with his fortitude. He wanted nothing more than to find this metal, so he set out to find the local cave system where it all took place.

The dark and looming entrance seemed scarier the closer you got. No Movement. No Sounds. Nothing but the dead silence of the rocks.

He seemed to always find his way back to the word nothing, with it having a funny ring to him. The word nothing normally gave off feelings of emptiness and abandonment, but here it sparked something small within himself that made the word feel a little less hollow.

He continued into the entrance of the cave, metals surrounding the walls entirely. It seemed to be a heavy hotspot of precious ores that would go for a lot of money. However, it’s all still here untouched. The misunderstanding of why people would just leave this stuff here set Oro on a further expedition down into the depths of this cave. Lighting a torch as the sunlight from above seems to fade from existence leaving him in complete darkness before his torch roars to life seeing the walls reflect the light of the flame even seeing his reflection in the metals.

He continued on until a specific metal seemed to have caught his eye, stopping to examine it, taking his smaller tools out to remove the metal from the wall so he could look at it further. As he works out the stone and picks it up to his face his torch snuffs out, putting him back on the top of the cave the utter darkness surrounding him. He struggles at first, attempting to relight his torch but it doesn’t seem to want to catch, leaving him unable to see. Until a faint whisper creeps into the back of his head seeming to come from within his brain rather than any presence next to him.

“Why are you here?” A stuttering, light breathed, almost childlike voice rings in his ears.

“I just want something to change the way I live my life.” He thinks to himself, his words jumbled in a confused state as he tries to steady himself in this senseless position he finds himself in.

“So you want to use me to find solace in yourself? What do you feel now, then, as your senses fail you in this dark motionless cave? Scared? Resilient? Or Nothing?” The same child-like voice rings in his ears.

With the muttering of the word “Nothing,” Oro can’t help but fall to the ground, dropping the stone to the floor as he realizes that the feelings he had with his father and what he came here to do were both because he had felt nothing. That being the factor in his poor capabilities of blacksmithing and his poor relationship with his father, he now wanted nothing more than to get out. Running out of the cave, crashing into walls as he does, hurting his arms and legs with each collision he makes. Finally finding his way out of the cave, he sits at the entrance, staring back into the abyss. The scary nature of the cave seems to have been replaced with a feeling of calm as he stands up and walks off occasionally glancing back, scared of the possibilities of what is to come next.

Stepping into the area looking around into the darkness, he was reminded of the time he had in that cave, where his fate ultimately intertwined with something he can never explain completely. He finds his place, standing still. Thinking of why he’s here.

“Freedom.” He says to himself.

With his sole purpose in mind, he readies himself, standing still and looking out to see all the other contestants. None of them really catch his eye upon first glance-- until he notices a man wielding a staff that seems to be in a similar situation to himself.

“Frail. Broken. Unstable.”

The only words that come to mind when looking at the man and when thinking about himself. Struggling to ready himself not prepared for what is to come, as the announcing voice rings out,

“Let the Elemental Championships begin!”

“Weapon” He utters under his breath.

As he says these words the ring behind him begins to rapidly spin as a piece of the rocks surrounding the ring slowly detaches, reforming into the appearance of a large hammer that now floats in front of him. With the hammer fully formed, the ring itself begins to slow its rotations down but never stopping completely. Putting his head down and preparing himself, he begins watching to find his first target.
Post #: 5
7/16/2020 22:45:20   
Riprose123

Looking down at the city of Bren, he could tell that this place was much different from his home. Argyll stood next to a waystone, far above the city on a hill. The buildings were the biggest shock, nothing but brick and wood here, instead of the seamless stone buildings and pillars all around. Revelry was the occasion around this town, the excitement for the coming festival of death over brewing. Perhaps a younger version of himself would have found the feeling in this place entrancing, but now it only brought him sorrow and disappointment that these people would glorify conflict this way. Weary from the journey here, he set his pack down near a large waystone and rested his bones for a moment. The stone was cool, even in the midday sun. He held up on hand, flexing his wrist and moving his fingers, watching the taught scars on his forearms dance. He pulled a crumpled piece of paper from his tunic and let his eyes read over the same words they had read over a dozen times now.

Pilus Argyll,

Enclosed are your newest orders. You and your sons, who are now old enough to enter military service, will report to Primus Pilus Arellus and make yourselves ready. You will be in full combat gear and possess two days worth of rations.

Rejoice, Argyll. Your boys are finally of age to march in the name of the Civilization. We know your last tour of duty shook your faith, but you are a loyal soldier, and I know you will do us proud. Remember we were chosen for this life by our birth.

Ut respondeam præcepto civilization!

Legatus Legionis Altero

He folded the letter from his commander, the creases worn and near tearing, slipping it back into his tunic. He read the orders that held his name as well. Though he had deserted his duty, he could not endanger his sons as well, giving them their orders and sending them off to fight, just as he had done at their age, and every other man of their blood had done before him. He felt great dread at this thought, not only from the desertion of his men, but at the cowardice he had shown by abandoning them as they went to war. If a son could not count on his father to lead him in war, who could he count on?

Argyll rubbed a hand across his face, wiping the pained expression from his face. This tournament was the answer. He would find freedom here, for him or his sons, and either way, he knew that he would no longer have to feel the neverending worry of a soldier’s father. He placed his hands on the ground at his side, pushing himself back onto his feet. He looked out at the city of Bren from the hill one last time. Then he shouldered his pack, whispered a quiet prayer to anyone who might be listening, and slipped into the city below.

Darkness quickly enveloped Argyll as he left the comforting light of the torches, making his way towards his designated arena. He smiled as the light from the last torch left his shining lorica, the dulled sheen of the steel greedily absorbing as much of the light as it could. He ran his sword arm on the wall so that he would not lose his way, confident in his abilities as he was in his appearance. Though his body portrayed a grizzled veteran, his armor was markless and pristine, well maintained as any soldier’s should be. His gladius bumped on his hip as he walked, trident and shield both gripped in one hand. Finally, a dull light shone from the entrance of the arena, two sigils radiating above the pitch black gateway. He shook his head at the intricacy of the sigils, slipping into the darkness and becoming enveloped in it. He nearly spat on the ground in front of him, desperate for a light, before his need was answered. He flinched at the sudden spotlight, squinting up as he searched for a source, before noticing his opponents.

Then came the announcement, a great, booming baritone that seemed to come from everywhere and nowhere at once. “And so begins the Trial of Illumination. Fight or Die, adventurers, but let the Elemental Championships begin!”

Argyll nodded his head slightly, taking his trident in hand and spinning the shaft, before bringing it to sit equal in height with his head, letting his shield hold the tip aloft in a defensive, but still aggressive stance as he dared any of the figures around him to make a move.
DF MQ  Post #: 6
7/17/2020 9:34:53   
Kooroo

The orc roared defiantly and swung, its axe hurtling towards the knight’s head. Providence flashed and the beast’s shout was cut off, throaty warcry turning into a guttural croak as its axe dropped to the floor and its torso split in two. Blood splattered the leaf-strewn earth, splashing onto Syn’s boots and coat, but she paid it no mind. She would slay until there were no more beasts left in the realms, and drown in their blood if He willed it.

And there was no doubt that He willed it, the angels told her. They sang their praises as the orc’s twitching stopped and then they spoke, voices as one.
‘Go’, they commanded. ‘Carry His word. For it is your Duty.’

Of course, she responded, bowing her head mentally in reverence. There is nothing but my Duty, as I am nothing without my Duty.

The knight turned, facing the remaining beasts. There were two before her, a male and a female, the last survivors of their settlement. Or the last two for her to purge, before her part was over, as dictated by her agreement with the heretic. There was a third monster; a trembling child, whose tusks had barely broken its lips, staring teary-eyed from behind its elders’ legs.

The male raised its weapon as the female beast barked at her, its harsh accent doing no favours for its primitive tongue. Not willing—or perhaps not knowing how—to argue, the youngling scarpered, fleeing into the burning town. Syn stared at the scene dispassionately, keeping her eyes on the adult specimens. The children and the casters weren't her concern after all. Unless He wished for her to deliver His Justice personally, it was her heretical partner’s duty to deal with it.

And though she was a heretic, there was no denying that she was thorough. And fast.

’Forward’.

Syn obeyed. She raised her sword and took one step forward.

The male orc roared and lunged at her, bringing its weapon, a crude battleaxe, to bear. Silver flashed towards her as the axe head arched towards her neck. Providence glowed with violet light as Syn swung it up, crystal edge meeting barbed metal in a resounding clash. The blades clattered against each other for a moment, until she pulled her sword violently to the side, tearing the beast’s weapon from its grasp.

All it took from there was a reversal of that action, and then there was only one greenling standing. It howled—a bestial cry of loathing and loss—before it leaped at Syn, its warhammer thrashing wildly.
Keeping Providence low, the arbiter stepped forward, ready to meet her foe. She raised an arm and charged, violet flames erupting from the back of her armor and propelling her forward. There was a crunch as plate met flesh and bone, matched only by the sound of Syn’s jets as she drove the pair forward.

Five units later, their journey came to an abrupt end when they crashed through a house.

’Stand. There are more in the realms who dare defy His Justice. Stand, for your work is not yet done.’

Syn pulled herself on to her feet, stone and plaster tumbling off her as her armour released clouds of steam. She looked down at her spasming foe, then walked up and stuck her sword through its heart. The movement stopped and the angelic choir hummed, though the soothing hymn was soon interrupted by a blast of heat on her back.

It seemed that her partner had missed one.

The Hollow Knight turned and was greeted by an oak staff being breaking across her face. She stumbled back, then steadied, just as a mountain of an orc grabbed at her. A large, grubby-looking hand pinned her sword arm to her side, while Syn strained to keep the creature’s left away from her neck. Her attacker snarled and doubled his efforts, while Syn stared blankly at the rattling beads around his neck.

It was a priest. Or a shaman, perhaps. A feral and disgraceful parody of those who preached to the masses. Perhaps the most sacrilegious of the plague she’d been tasked with purg—

The knight’s strength faltered and her foe's hand inched closer.

It didn’t matter though. There was an agreement. This was not hers to correct. As was mentioned in His Decrees; Honour thy word and thy ally, and in doing so, honour thyself. Thus, the agreement would stand, even if she had t—

The angelic choir cut through her thoughts, their words drowned out by a single, booming command. ’Idle not. Forward, and bring balance to this land,’

As if on cue, the low whir emanating from within Syn’s chest quietened, only to be replaced by an incessant buzz. Power and strength surged through her limbs, and the arbiter shoved the startled shaman’s hand aside, before pulling back her fist and flattening him with a haymaker.

It shot backwards, heels clipping the edge of the ruined wall, causing it to flip and strike the ground hard. The ivory knight stepped through after it and walked until she was looking down on the dazed mystic. Perhaps sensing what was to come, the greenskin started to move, trying to flip back on to its front. She planted an armored boot on its nape, pinning it. Still it fought, trying to reach for a discarded handaxe.

’Forward’.

Syn raised her foot and brought it down, stomping hard.

The struggling ceased and the angels began to sing amongst the sound of crackling cottages….

A peaceful silence that was remarkably short lived, as there was a shout and a thunderclap from behind her. Most people would’ve ducked or covered their heads at the abrupt exclamation; after all, the word sounded similar to another often used in the sporting world. Syn, however, had next to no knowledge about sports and the phrases they employed. She’d heard the word before—many, many times before—and turned to look at her partner instead of ducking.

She was immediately rewarded for her efforts by a sword that cannoned into her face, its tip digging into the ivory surface of her mask.

There was a loud clang, not dissimilar to a gong being struck, and the Hollow Knight went down, crashing to the earth.

When she finally came to, the crackling of burning buildings had stopped. Two blurry silhouettes loomed over her—one thin, the other bulky—both preoccupied in a serious discussion, their voices muted considerably.

“—she’s not some…. priest, or nun, or Father, or Mother, or Hail Mary, or anything like that. I get that. She’s a simpler sort, one of the many sheeple that follow instead of lead. Which is fine.”

“Still, when a devout”—the thin figure gestured, waving two hazy arms in the air—”something gives you their word, you hope they’d keep it. But she didn’t, so I had to balance the numbers a bit.”

“So you shot her,” the bulky one stated bluntly.

“I was on forty-three, alright? I needed one more. So after our recently departed shortstack—may she decompose peacefully— stepped in that last Greeny Houdini, there was nothing left.” There was a lengthy pause. “You look lost. Can I offer you a map?”

“Ms. Astra—”

“Call me Theia, please.”

“Theia—”

“I changed my mind, you’ve gone and ruined it. Back to Ms. Astra, cheers.”

The second figure took a deep breath and raised a hand to his face, the movement followed by the clank of armour.

By now, Syn’s vision and hearing had cleared up. She could make out her heretical partner’s toothy smile and singsong voice, contrasting immensely with the stern expression on the man’s face. There was further commotion in the background; orders and directions being given, intertwined with the sound of equipment and tools being moved. Their employer’s subordinates; most likely clearing up the remnants of the orcish plague.

The two continued back and forth like that as Syn stared up at them from the ground. She lay there and waited, as the pair discussed the importance of numbers and cracking eggs to dispose of orc settlements. None of this concerned the arbiter in the slightest; their bickering was inconsequential to His Grand Vision. If it had mattered, then He or His Messengers would have relayed to her.

And so she waited, patiently as always. She waited for His Word to direct her. For His Command, for a Purpose. The wind blew through the trees and the still-smoking remnants of the orc village. A bloodied leaf tumbled through the currents and landed directly in the centre of her armoured veil, before being whipped off to its next adventure. The knight waited.

And waited….

And still, Syn waited.

Until eventually, there was something that came to her. It wasn’t a sentence, or a word. Or even a sound.

Instead, it was a strange… sensation. An emotion… A… what was the word? Feeling? A feeling, yes. The first in… the first in ever. It made everything feel slow and distant. What was once merely irrelevant chatter was now just a droning buzz in the background. Even the gentle hum in Syn’s chest seemed more real and… relevant than whatever the two above her had to say.

What was the word for this feeling? Was it… was there even a word for it?

Something inside her spoke up; it wasn’t a clear, overwhelming voice like the Lord or His Heralds. It was something quieter and softer, but just as real and just as loud. This something whispered to her and the word clicked. Yes, this word perfectly described the sensation she was feeling. It was…

Boredom.

It was boredom she was feeling. Yes, that was it.

Syn was bored.

Very bored.

She needed something to do. There was nothing to be gained from simply lying on the ground, listening to these apostates quibble over insignificant matters. But what was there to do, in the absence of His Guidance?

She didn’t know. The arbiter had no idea, but all she knew was that she had to do something besides just lying there.

So Syn sat up. The gunslinger and the armoured man looked at her.

“Ah, Miss Syn. You’re awake. How—”

The heretic cut him off with a flourish, pulling out her gun. “Looks like I missed a spot.“

She took aim at the knight’s head and was about to pull the trigger before the man grabbed her by the arm and pulled her aside. Soldiers around them glanced over as the two struggled before continuing on with their tasks. Syn ignored them and slowly pulled herself off the floor, taking up Providence in her right hand. Finally, she straightened up and walked off.

His Chosen Knight managed to get seven units away before her partner strode past briskly and stood directly in the arbiter’s path.

“Hello there, buttercup,” she beamed, waving brightly at the arbiter.

Syn ignored her and kept walking. The two collided heavily, the impact causing the lighter woman to curse and stumble. The swordswoman disregarded the dull throbbing in her chest and shoulder where the heretic had bounced off, continuing to march on unimpeded.

Another six steps and she felt herself slow. There was some resistance from behind, something heavy enough to create a significant amount of drag.

No matter.

The rising hum in her chest grew to an audible purr and the weight vanished. Syn became aware of a tapping on her shoulder and her back. Someone was shouting coming from directly behind her, but still she continued forward. Whatever was happening behind her was irrelevant. Forward had been His last command to her, so Forward she woul—

There was a FLASH! right next to her head, and Syn shot sideways. She flew weightlessly for what seemed like an age, zooming past wrecked buildings and wide-eyed warriors in a magically charged blur. Eventually, the magic of whatever had shot her wore off and physics took claim of her once more. The Bleached Arbiter’s heel struck the dirt path, flipping her like she had flipped the mongrel shaman.

Luckily, there was a tree up ahead to cushion her.

She struck the tree with her back, hard enough to splinter the trunk, and slid down onto the floor until she was looking up at the sky once more. She lay there unmoving, until a hat, two amber orbs, and a metalclad grin popped into the bottom of her vision.

“Well hey there, champ! Looks like I managed to get you just in time,” the heretic rasped, voice magically distorted. “Do you have anything to say for yourself?”

Silence followed and the gunwoman waited, counting slowly on her right hand. Syn stayed down, completely frozen, her mind empty and silent like the former inhabitants of the village. Until, unexpectedly, a small, tiny voice whispered to her. She repeated the word to the masked woman looking down at her.

“Ow.”

The gunwoman jumped backwards in shock, then bent over again. “My god, it talks! I thought I’d broken something with that last one. Not that…. Well, not that you were unbroken before. So, uh…” she glanced to her left and right, as though watching for eavesdroppers. ”Would you mind terribly if I just asked you one quick question?”

A moment passed them by, with the heretic looking down pointedly at Syn, who stared skyward, towards the clouds.

Nothing. There was nothing, once again. Stillness and emptiness… except for one tiny, miniscule sensation. Unlike the boredom she had felt, this feeling sat in the center of the canvas of her mind, waiting. Expecting.

Syn inclined her head. The heretical gunwoman nodded to herself. “Great! So, just answer me this.”

She bent down until her metal grin was barely a hair's breadth from Syn’s own blank visage and hissed. “Where the hell did you think you were going?”

“Forward,” Syn echoed.

“Nah, sideways. From my P-O-V, you were definitely going sideways. To the left, as a matter of fact. But let’s say that you somehow managed to outrun moi. Where would you go? What were you hoping to find?”

The amber-lensed goggles and leering mask vanished, and her partner looked down at her expectantly. Syn didn’t answer her. The question sunk into her, floating in the emptiness. Only then did Syn truly feel it; the hollowness. There was a hollowness within her; where once the song of angels had filled her, had driven her. All in His glorious name. But without it, what was she to do? Without His Guidance, what was left? What was to be her purpose?

Purpose.

She whispered the word. The heretic cocked an eyebrow, then leant down again, metal hand cupping her ear. “Come again?”

“Purpose,” repeated a voice, but not her own.

They both looked towards the direction the voice had come from, to see their employer standing with his arms crossed. He began walking over to them, armour clanking with every step.

“How long’ve you been there, General?” her partner queried, adjusting her hat.

“Marshal, Ms. Astra.”

Syn watched as the Marshal bent towards her and offered his hand. The knight stared at it for a good while before reaching out and grasping it. With a grunt, the tall man pulled Syn upright and on to her feet. There was something… off about the action, but Syn didn’t know what.

Shaking his arm out, the armoured man glanced between his hired help.

“Purpose. A little soul searching might”—he looked directly at Syn, locking eyes with where he thought he eyes would be and then coughed—“will do you some good. The two generals that you two are replacing have departed on similar grounds. I suggested to both of them that they go to an outer realm, away from Alafael, but both declined and went their own ways. You, however, might be a bit more… adventurous than either of them.”

“Where is this place?” Syn asked. The gunwoman shot her a strange look, while the Marshal smiled.

“The one world I have in mind is a… unique one. It’s name is Lore. There’s a city within the realm that hosts an annual competition. I’m not sure of it’s exact location, but I am told if you ask the locals about it, then I’m sure you will have no trouble finding it.”

“Bren?”

Both the Marshal and Syn looked at the gunlady who shrugged. “Pleasant place, not sure I’d go again. Could do with better security and signage. Three out of Four stars.”

“Excellent,” their employer nodded. “Then you can guide her there.”

The heretic stopped smiling and blinked, puzzled. “Pardon?”

“Take your friend—”

“Friend is such a strong word—”

“Take your colleague to Lore and guide her to the city. Help her enter the competition and then I would probably say that you’d have made up for…” He stopped, then pointed at Syn and gestured towards his face.

The gunwoman followed his gaze, up to Syn’s mask and waved her hand dismissively. “It’s fine, it’s fine. It’ll buff out.”

The man’s smile faded and he shot the heretic a dark look. The hired gun got the idea and nodded spiritedly. “We’ll be gone in Four hours. Be seeing you, General Marshy.”

She grabbed Syn by the jacket collar and tugged on it. The knight followed without resistance, stopping only when the gunwoman turned back to the Marshal.

“Oh, but last question. Is this going to come out of our annual?”

Now it was the Marshal’s turn to look confused.

“Darkness, eh? Can’t say it doesn’t suit you. Honestly, I always thought that the inside of your head was like a giant, blank canvas, but I guess that would mean there’s room for improvement, huh? A dark and squalid room sounds far more suitable. It’s much harder to change anything and you probably need an expensive permit.”

It had been about a week since the pair had left Alafael. Different emotions came and went from Syn’s mind as they pleased, their sporadic passage not dissimilar to the weather across the realms. There were surreal moments of waking where a sensation would come to her, only to vanish immediately after she had begun to understand it. Some feelings were generous enough to remain longer and were more consistent, but those were rare.

“So, what do you think? About your hair, I mean. Do you like it? I tried my darndest this earlier, but you’ve got so mu— Oh, snacks? Are these snacks? How much are the…. Wait, are these geckos?”

Syn could only assume that this was one of His Trials, but that didn’t make it any less troubling for the Bleached Arbiter. While it was not her place to question His Will, the most constant sensation that Syn was being entreated to was the one called irritation.

The heretic was unimaginably good at constantly evoking the emotion within Syn’s mind. Some of her partner’s behaviour was tolerable and even for the better at times; her tendency to run off and disappear for unspecified periods being the prime example. Granted, her absence had been a significant hindrance at the application centre, since Syn hadn’t managed to do much more than stare blankly at the clerical staff. Luckily, a kind hearted woman with dark hair and even darker eyes had seen fit to help the hapless arbiter with her application.

But when the gunwoman was around? It was as though she had taken it upon herself to try and replace His messengers. Sweet abyss, she just never stopped talking.

“Big city, huh? What do you think of Bren so far? Enjoying the sights? Drinking them in?”

Syn didn’t answer and let the heretic continue leading her by the collar of her jacket. Bren was a city, meaning it had people. Sure, it had lots of people and even more than just that; creatures and entities of various shapes and sizes that the arbiter had (probably) never seen before.

But so what? What was there to enjoy about the city? What was there to enjoy about the world, about life?

What was joy? And happiness? Why did they exist? Why did feelings and emotions matter?

She didn’t know, nor did she care. Syn wasn’t here for either, nor did she need the rest of anything else from the emotional spectrum. The Hollow Knight was here for herself, to either find her Purpose or pass His Trials and receive His Guidance once more. Nothing would stop her from achieving her goals.

Determination.

Was determination an emotion? Then it was irrelevant. She would prove that in the Trials ahead, of this she was sure. Of this she was deter—

Huh.

She stopped abruptly, watching as the heretic was pulled backwards comically by the sudden resistance and weight. The annoying woman turned around and started berating her, placing one hand on her hip and wagging her finger at Syn as the whizz of the arbiter’s Engine grew into an audible purr.

Her partner ceased her scolding when she heard it and squinted. “You’re like a cat, you know that? Either a cat or a dishwasher, but it can’t be the latter since you never do anything to the dishes. I mean, besides break them.”

Spinning around, the irksome gunslinger raised a hand to shield her eyes as she looked further down their path. “Oh, what do you know. We’re here!”

She jabbed at a spot on the other side of the footbridge, near the entrance to the Trial complex. “That was where someone tried to cut me,” she exclaimed happily.

Shame that they couldn’t finish the job.

There were a few itches under her mask, right on the corners of her mouth, but Syn didn’t move to scratch it. The heretic walked behind her and gave her a massive push, managing to move her a monumental two units before talking again.

She just never shut up, did she?

“So I would say that I was going up to the stands to see how far you’d go, but I’m going to guess, I dunno, maybe 3.6 units if we’re being optimistic? Not great, not terrible. Anyway, what I’m trying to say is that I would watch…. But quite frankly, I have much better ways to waste my time. Ergo!”—with a flourish, the gunlady drew a small revolver—”I’ll just send you off. See you at noon. And a one, and a two, and a one, two, three, FO—

Syn backhanded the gun out of the heretic’s hand before she managed to finish the word. Both women watched as the handgun sailed high into the air, its silvery finish catching the sun’s rays before it suddenly dropped, spinning end-over-end into the stream. With the slightest of ripples and a soft little bloop, the gun sank beneath the water.

The heretical gunwoman looked back to Syn, frowning. After a moment of contemplation, she raised an arm and jabbed a finger at the competitor-to-be. “Rude.”

Dally not, chosen one—

The arbiter stiffened at His voice returning to her, straightening up slightly.

—for now is the time. Onwards, herald, and spread My Word.

By Your Holy Grace, I go.

Syn turned and made to leave, only to feel a hand latch on to her pauldron. Without nary a pause, the Bleached Arbiter grabbed the proffered limb with her free hand and spun, twisting across her body. She let go at the end of her turn, hurtling the offending gunwoman into a pile of neatly stacked wooden crates.

All movement around them stopped for a moment, every pair of eyes fixated on the toppled boxes. A moment passed… Then a second… And a third…

A gunmetal arm burst from the mound, knocking the top-most package on to the ground. “Fair enough. I guess I deserve that.”

Everyone in the crowd immediately went back to their business.
Her partner’s arm seemed to struggle for a moment, as the person stuck within the pile tried in vain to free herself. After a couple of minutes of straining, the straining ceased.

“Well, I guess this is as good as any other way to spend the rest of my day. Cheers, love.”
The metal hand shot her a gesture. Syn blinked, itching back once more on her lips.

Forward, arbiter.

At her lord’s command, Syn turned around and walked into the bowels of the complex.

There was a door in front of her, marked with a single sigil. She stared blankly, watching as the rune disappeared and the entrance swung open, the yawning portal revealing the blackness beyond.

Syn made to immediately step through the gateway, but something held her back. The knight turned to look behind her.

The hall was empty. There was nothing.

Nothing at all. So why di—

The engines roared, signalling the ship’s imminent departure. She smiled and snapped off a crisp salute. The people on the tower waved back vigorously, as gangplank retracted into the vessel.

This could be the last time they saw each other. She knew; they all knew. This could be the last goodbye—their final parting. But, refusing to entertain or give birth to that possibility, none of them had talked about it. Was that a mistake?

Nah, of course not. Who was she kidding? Sh— Onwards. Thou shalt not forsake thy duty on such wayward possibilities.

Angels sung with each of the arbiter’s footsteps, dying down to a steady, incoherent hymn and then—silence.

Syn stopped.

The single ray from the heavens swept over the room, passing over the edge of the pit they were in. It returned to the center and split with a loud wail, matched only by the rising chorus sounding in the arbiter’s mind. One beam became eight, each spreading out and illuminating other parts of the chamber. A solitary shaft focused on Syn, its siblings revealing the heretics in the room.

Heresy…

The purring within her breast grew into a growl as a deafening baritone washed over the pits inhabitant. The proclamation reverberated and resonating within Syn’s armor and bones, boring deep into her core.

And then He gave her His Command.

Purge the heretics, my arbiter. Crush the unclean. And let none stand in thy path. Forward.

“Forward,” the arbiter echoed, her voice but a whisper.

And so she went.
AQW Epic  Post #: 7
7/17/2020 11:05:18   
Ultrapowerpie

Mail Moogle of AdventureQuest

In a small tavern on a side street in Bren, a chef was working in the small kitchen at the unusually empty tavern. A customer was sitting at the bar, sniffing the air as the chef cooked.

“I can’t believe you entered the Elemental Championships with culinary skills like yours. What did you call this, again?” a bearded man asked, using a spoon to eat what looked like an unusual stew.

“I still can’t believe that E.C. stands for that instead of Expert Chefs! No wonder that guy looked might confused when I said my element was beans. I thought he meant what my specialty was!” the chef replied, sipping the stew from an unusually large pot for a tavern. “Oh, and this is called franks n ’beans stew” she added, turning around to reveal what could only be described as a cowgirl and a chef fused together in a ridiculous yet highly fashionable combo.

“They did explain that it’s to the death, right? You really should reconsider if you’re not determined to see it through to the end,” the bearded man reasoned, nodding as he took another spoonful.

“Now now, don’t worry your head. Just cuz I’m using foodmancy don’t mean I can’t handle myself in a fight. I had to sling a man once in Beano, just to get to his pie. Well, actually, it was my pie. Sneaky bugger took it out of my pie safe somehow. He definitely won’t be stealing anything ever again, that’s for sure,” Piper said cheerfully, though one could see a slightly darker look in her eyes if you looked closely.

“I’m not doubting your abilities, but just entering the Championships on a lark is not a good idea. There’s plenty o’ folks with strong convictions for entering this contest,” the bearded man slurped.

“Oh I know darling, I know! Ever since I heard about this ‘boon’ thing, I felt compelled to see this through! Besides, I made a promise by signing up, and a Cassidy don’t break their word. Unless of course they were coerced or not in a right state of mind during signing or agreement of said contract, thus rendering it null and void,” Piper chirped, serving another ladleful of stew to the man.

“I still don’t think they’re going to actually grant you that…”

“Why not? It’ll end world hunger! It’ll provide this whole planet with bountiful opportunities to try new and exciting foods! Imagine the exchange of information with what different regions do with the bounty!”

“Didn’t you say that this could be the end of the world?”

“As we know it, yes! A new golden age of foodmancy, not to mention culinary cuisine will render at least half the problems of this age obsolete!”

“But… it just seems like a bit more than what the boon would normally be granted… I think… I mean, at least what you hear from customers…”

“Hogwash. My Ma always taught me that it’s important to help others that are more in need than you, and there are still plenty of people out there scrounging to get a living. Especially those of us way way out in the wild wild west area. It’s tough enough getting crops to grow in a desert, but add in all the monsters, random weather, crop rustlers and other punks making it hard for honest folk to earn a decent living, it’s really rough. This will help everyone,” Piper confidently stated, stirring the stew.

“But you have your beans…”

“That’s cuz out there we got a few foods that we can easily produce, and beans are one of them. But let me tell ya, you can’t live off of just beans. Trust me, I’ve tried. Does not work well in the long run, especially coming out here and seeing others…” Piper sighed, looking down at herself.

“You do seem a bit…”

“Scrawny and pale? Yeah, that’s what I’m talking about. I look like a ghost or one of those vamprook things you read about in those dime-store novels. It’s clear that this planet needs a shakeup, and I think ending planet-wide hunger is a noble goal.”

“But is that the best way? It just seems… dangerous”

“I know it sounds like cow cookies, but I swear on my Grandpa’s grave that the Atacolypse is the best way to fix things. Just imagine tacos everywhere. You can put nearly anything in a taco. You can even make the shell hard OR soft, doubling your options! Heck, you can make it out of flour, corn, or beans! Trust me, this is the best thing that’ll hit Lore since they invented the can opener!”

“Alright, if you’re convinced. You should probably get to the arena though, the Championships should be starting soon,” the bearded man commented, pointing to the sun’s position out the window.

“Good gravy! Ahh, I guess time flies when you’ve got good cooking and company. Thanks for the use of your kitchen Barkeep, it helped a girl feel right at home. Definitely boosted my morale before this shindig. Hope to see you afterwards!” Piper exclaimed, starting to collect her things. “Hope you don’t mind if I leave a mess!”

The barkeeper grinned at her statement. “Don’t worry about the mess, it’s the least I can do after you made such a fine stew. This is definitely the first time a competitor has made me a meal, so the honor is mine,” he said as he grabbed a rag. “I hope to see you again as well. I do hear that sometimes the Lords are merciful and let competitors leave with their lives mostly intact. May they be merciful to you as well.”

“Hon, I don’t need mercy where I’m going unless they change that death thing. I don’t usually like it, but if someone is trying to kill me, I will make sure they don’t get a second chance to do so,” Piper declared, her expression taking a much more serious and darker turn than a moment before. “Hope you cheer for me!” she added as she closed the door on her way out.

Piper’s first impressions of the Twilight arena were mixed, to say the least. Certainly, the way down into the arena was not a good start, and first impressions are important. Supposed to be a super fanciful arena made by some of the greatest minds of the ages, yet they can’t afford to keep the hallways lit. Typical hoity-toity city slickers Piper thought as she continued down the dark hallway.

The grand entrance of the arena was a spectacle to witness and overall was ok, as far as Piper was concerned. She did admire the black and white before everything went into complete darkness. Did they forget to charge their mana reserves or something? she thought. The light show that came next did get Piper’s interest, as they never did have any of those fancy city spotlights back home.
The wail, however, was definitely uncalled for. Who in their right mind makes a wail that’d wake the dead just to split a fancy light into 8… wait a second… where’s that light coming from? And why is it following me? That’s just rude…”

Piper took a few seconds to realize what had happened, as the wail didn’t necessarily unsettle her, but it definitely caught her by surprise and definitely fell in the rude category concerning proper host/guest etiquette. The light also was quite rude, as you should never put a guest on the spot like that without prior notice. In addition, the total darkness in the middle of the arena was completely careless. I mean, who knows what things were left around after construction for someone to trip on?

That last thought snapped Piper out of her internal soliloquy as she instinctively reached down into her Can and started rummaging around for one of the more rare beans. She shivered slightly as her bean-bumps started acting up, a natural reaction when one was in a dangerous situation.

Taking a more active stance, Piper began examining the rest of the competitors as she stood there, wary. One thing she did note that was odd was the presence of an eighth spotlight that just seemed to be hovering at an empty space. [I]Poor fella must have chickened out. Oh well, less competition improves the odds. Looks like some of the others have already made their move… I guess it’s time to prepare a feast!
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 8
7/17/2020 22:21:45   
  Chewy905

“Mine.”

The word was growled more than said. One predator speaking to another. How curious that it was able to recognize old man Mori as a threat; as more than a dying husk.

Yet, Mori heard it not- at least, not from its true source.

A poisoned word from a bronze-skinned man, handsome and slim. His clothes are immaculate, his saber polished. A commander, a king, a ruler of many, smiling a crooked smile.

He was enraged.

Mori stumbled, the memory gripping at his mind, drawing his senses to a place he hadn’t been in millennia. His ethereal watcher followed his body, shedding light on his unsteady movements as he took a few tentative steps forward, the crack of his cane muted on the wooden tiles.

“How dare you to take them from me. They were MY people. MY followers. Not yours.”

More unsteady steps. More cracking. The light stayed above him, showcasing his madness to the others. As he crossed half the room, his throat caught, and he coughed. Once. Twice. Then he was doubled over in a fit of hacking. His stomach contracting over, and over, and over, leaving him barely able to breathe, much less able to continue his advance. A wound on his chest ignited into a dull pain, growing larger by the second.

“I didn’t!” Mori shouted to the darkness, to the spotlights, that surrounded him. “I didn’t mean to, brother! I did nothing!”

The bronze man advances. Slow, regal steps bringing him across the room to stand before his dark-skinned brother. Silver exits its ornate sheath, screaming as it reveals Mori’s terrified eyes.

“No.” Mori croaked. His eyes bounced around the shrouded room, seeing a throne of the past, an event from long ago no matter where he glanced. “No no no. I’m not there. I’m not there. I’m awake.” His eyes glossed over, his wizened mind retreating fully from the championships, returning to a younger, scared man. “Please don’t let me out.” Mori whispered, voice full of fear.

Silver plunges forth, scattering no blood as it sinks into flesh. The bronze man twists the blade lazily, taking careful steps to avoid marring his suit.

Mori’s wound blazed, and his full weight crashed down on his staff, his coughing ceasing abruptly as he blinked tears from his eyes.

He grabs at the blade in his chest, the bronze man watching him, no pity in his eyes. A spool of thread, unraveling quickly. Mori reaches forwards, desperate to seize the final strand.

“It’s not real. It’s not real. It’s not real.” He whispered, eyes flicking between the light and the dark but seeing neither. “Death is everywhere. Death is for more than just me. More than just me.”

The last, wispy strand of thread slips away from his boney grasp. His bronze brother leans in, bringing his crooked smile to Mori’s ear, delivering final words as Mori’s consciousness fades away again.

“The real you knows what’s mine.”

Bone and chain scream forth.

The pain fired through his body, spreading its lightning bolt of feeling from his chest to his limbs to his mind. It jolted him out of the vision, pulling him fully to reality. The pain was familiar: an old friend that had followed him always on his eternal journey.

They were his two constants. Pain and Death.

His mouth curved into an uncertain smile as he straightened up, bringing his weight off his staff as he grounded himself in the now. The memories had lurked in his nightmares before, but he’d never experienced them so vividly in all his waking days.

The shades of my past will haunt my present, then. He thought. In this place of Death, where I may only die once, I suppose it is fitting that Death reminds me of its past visits. His expression hardened to stone, his resolve set. I am ready now. I will not lose myself again. Return as much as you like, oh Death.

His eyes locked on the figure before him. A knight, a warrior, garbed in powerful armor that glimmered in the all-seeing spotlight. They were advancing at a rapid pace, their path set for the dragon, their back revealed and defenseless.

Or so it seems at a glance.

Mori’s gaze dropped to the knight’s blade, glistening with blood. He looked at the entryway the knight strode from, seeking the corpse he knows he saw with them.

Naught but darkness.

Mori could practically feel the pitiless eyes, the crooked smile, all hidden beneath the shroud of the knight’s beaked helmet.

Brother. He thought. Oh Brother Aes, who comes to haunt my waking hours. This one’s for you.

“Skewer.” Mori whispered.

Lines traced through the air, drawing themselves round and round to form a circle that glowed with soft purple light. It pulsed, and bone-head rattled forth, piercing through the air, chain trailing behind it as it strained to reach the knight. The light that gazed upon Mori split off, sending a child to illuminate the missile’s flight.

The wound, the scar, the pain in Mori’s chest flared, and he listened, directing the spearhead to carve his wound a twin through the knight’s back.
Post #: 9
7/18/2020 3:49:50   
Caststarter

Come now, show some fight. One pace. Two paces. Three paces. Four, five, six. The dragon growled at whatever prey it eyed on, yet the knight took not a glance at it. Suddenly, a ding from behind that amounted to no more than a weak poke. Instinctively, the hell knight pivoted counter-clock wise, boots solidly on the ground and shield over the torso. Retracted a couple feet from her in its own light, a gray crude pitchfork took aim, whose outer prongs were broken or shaved off.

By Father Messo?!

Spontaneously, the farmer’s tool flew forth. The hell knight reflexively angled the shield to the side, pushed forward to increase her own cone of defense. Despite it being iron, her shield’s clang reverberated across the room, whereas the pitchfork glided on guided by invisible wraiths.

---

“Damn them all, damn them all!” The soul shouted to the deathly sky, dotted with pinpoints of light. Hands, chest, face, and infantry spear was soaked in crimson. Bodies were strewn about, all in rags, with farming implements darting the nearby landscape. “How dare you burn our beautiful country! You tilled it. Made it bear fruit. Yet you thought that the wretched kingdom of Sumer was better!?” The crude grimace morphed to a crooked grin. Out in the void echoing out, giggles. Laughs. Screams of hysteria.

Let this be an example on why mortals are pathetic. They care only for themselves. Give them anything, they demand more. Those below you are to be culled if they disobey. Harsh judgment is the only path for rulers.

“That ‘Guo Jia Strategist’! Spreading lies. Propaganda! He made you all conquer yourselves! He,” the soul gasped for air, smoke threatening to snuff out her life still. “He must pay!”

Kill, mangle, dismember. Spite is what empowers you. Look at your own destruction. Now allow it to encroach farther and farther. Allow the world to know your might!

---

Her hand stung, waving it about to ease the pain. Even from within the helmet, the knight’s spiteful gaze pierced down the darkness, towards the baleful husk. Hands hovering towards her, sigils in the air. The flea ridden and sickly dog dares bite? Perish! Ricarda took a stark step forward, sword tip levied right at the practical zombie. Mist congregated around the blade, solidifying and thinning out more and more.

As the mist dissipated, four needles of ice floated about in a diamond. With a slight twitch of the wrist, the hell knight dipped the sword, ice needles rocketing forward in turn. The space between the needles shrunk as they flew in the air, right at the husk’s chest area. The knight's inner heart was cold, to which it wished that the zombie's heart to be the same.

Ricarda allowed her weapon to drift to her side downward as she marched aggressively forward. One pace, two paces. Ears trained for any opportunists who dare be cowards. Minor it may be, the spiteful malice already began to desire the opposer to be extinguished. Pain is nigh, to which no soul shall come unscathed.
DF  Post #: 10
7/19/2020 19:33:35   
deathlord45

The clattering of arms and armor rang in the ears of the once great beast as his vision narrowed to a tunnel showing only the husk creature before him. A chain had lashed out from the creature towards the back of the armored entity that had been approaching him, along with another one which was deflected by the knight’s shield. The rage at such a pathetic creature ignoring its place beneath the might of a dragon and the boundless ever present hunger swelled deep within the ancient beast.

THEY ARE MINE. MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE!

The weary, worn, and withered muscles tensed as his rage closed in on erupting outwards from his ancient body. His tattered useless wings ever so slightly unfurled as his body and neck arched pushing him to look for only the briefest of moments like his old self from long before.

“Hahahahahaha. Did you see that, Fran? They scattered like children fleeing a freshly shattered window.”

A healthy fresh faced young red dragon looked up from his kill at the pallid woman dressed in all black save a golden armlet much like his own that was approaching him.

“Enjoy it while you can Drageados, soon enough they’ll conquer their fear and come hunting you. As they have with all of us children of the night. I would also recommend you not gorge yourself as such lest you suffer in the future.”

“You worry too much, Fran. I’ll be fine, and if push comes to shove I’m sure a village here or there will make a fine meal of mine.”

“MINE…”

It came as more a bellowing roar towards the unseen ceiling far above than a word spoken to any in attendance. Glaring down at the husk of a creature Drageados’s talons lightly dug into the wood beneath them, the creaking and tearing of wood helped focus the dragon’s mind on his target. Lowering his body Drageados launched himself towards the husk, neck extended, jaw open and ready to clamp down upon his prey, and his hungering wrathful eyes locked onto it. The thuds of his paws upon the floor sounding around him.

You shall learn your place beneath your better, husk. Then I shall feast upon the banquet of might before me.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 11
7/20/2020 1:52:29   
Riprose123

Argyll's eyes followed the ensuing chaos towards the middle of the arena with tactical edge. He knew that the old man would be in for a tough fight if unaided, but he suspected the dying body hid more than enough to surprise the armored knight and dragon. Argyll also knew from personal experience that catching the eyre of a dragon alone was reason enough to avoid that fight for now. His feet shuffled slightly as he swung his shield around to face the closest opponent he had in front of him, a youth wielding a large hammer, made of a material that Argyll couldn't identify. Argyll began advancing on the boy, a predatory stride that he had used many times before. The boy in front of him reminded him of his sons, and he began to think of one of their countless practice bouts.

Elt

Alta swung a wooden sword at his father, which was quickly caught with the flat side of his opponent's rounded shield. Argyll's own blade found his son's inner leg, leaving a nasty welt. Alta growled loudly, advancing on his father, who stood nearly a head shorter than either of the boys. He clasped his blade with both hands and swung it angrily at his father, who lazily blocked the blade with his own, and shoved the boy onto his rump with a shoulder to the chest. Argyll pressed his blade to his son's neck, "you're dead."

Elto laughed from the sidelines, "Alta! Your anger gets the better of you again. Keep your shield up and your head cool."

Alta showed his appreciation for his twin's advice by tackling him to the ground. After a brief wrestling match, which procured neither as the victor, Argyll finally pulled the two boys apart with a few well meaning kicks and nudges. Elto was the first to stand up; the eldest by a few minutes, he watched over his larger brother as best he could. Alta pulled himself up by his brother's outstretched hand and rubbed at the welt his father's blade had left him. "Did you have to hit me so hard, patar?"

"If not me, than an enemy soldier," Argyll countered, picking up his boys equipment and tossing it to them, "you two still don't train as if your life is in danger. If I don't hit you, you'll never learn. If you do not learn, you die."

Elto grinned at his father, "how can we die, when we have the greatest teacher? The great Pilus, Argyll!"

Elto laughed at his own joke, running at his father and leaping into the air, thrusting downward with his blade. Alta advanced forward with more control, a few steps back behind his brother. Argyll shook his head, Elto was all flash and fire. He lectured his brother on controlling his emotions, but he barely had as much restraint. Argyll rushed the boy as he leaped, caught his body with his flat shield, and used Elto's momentum to send him careening over Argyll's back onto the ground in a heap. Alta rushed to his brother's aid, raining blow after blow on his father with little form or coordination. Argyll blocked and parried, waiting for an opening. When he finally got it, he struck quickly forcing his son's guard open and landing a few well placed blows, knocking the wind from his lungs. He shook his head at his two boys, one gasping for air, the other picking himself off the ground. "We run this drill until you two can beat me. You must become dependant on each other. Be more as two than you could ever be as one."

His boys stared at each other a long while before nodding their heads, picking up their weapons, and advancing on their father.

Argyll quickly approached the man with the hammer. He let his trident fall to his side, but kept his shield aloft. He stepped back with one foot, bowing slightly and tipping his head to his first opponent. "I am Argyll. May you have swift blades and little pain. I promise you a quick death if it comes to it, on my honor as a Pilus and a legionnaire."

With that, he spun his trident once above his head, resting the tip on the top edge of his shield, and waited for his opponent to make the first move.
DF MQ  Post #: 12
7/20/2020 8:52:42   
Thyopath

The wooden floor against the bare feet of Oro shakes with the movement of the other competitors. However, none seemed to pay any mind to him except one a taller man, adorning full plate armor. Shield and trident at the ready as he approached. Oro watches him closely while attempting to check his back every so often to make sure he isn’t being surrounded. The closer he got, the more intense Oro presence became, readying himself for the incoming combat with someone who seems to be far more experienced than himself.

“I need to be careful with this one, Old but not useless. Scarred but not broken. Keep calm.”

Thinking to himself as the fellow competitor steps forward taking a bow, as his head bows a voice sounds out:

"I am Argyll. May you have swift blades and little pain. I promise you a quick death if it comes to it, on my honor as a Pilus and a legionnaire."

Watching him ready himself yet again as he prepares himself for my strike.

“Well hello Argyll, I am Oro. I respect your kind words, however you deliver them as a hollow shell with no meaning. Honor is but a word of weakness and dependency, needing those around you to commend your accomplishment. How pitiful your life must be slaving away as a pawn to those of higher power. I’ll make sure to show you the fault in your mentality as I once too was consumed by honor.”

As these words leave Oro’s mouth, he continues raising the hammer pulling it back but not striking yet, as if waiting to find a lapse in his sturdy exterior through words rather than aggression.

“I do pray you find solace in the words I say, as they may be the final ones you ever hear.”

With this Oro seems to concentrate deep in thought, the weapon swinging violently purposefully aiming for the shield, taking a step back himself after swinging toward his shield not moving his hammer away from the man standing before him letting the words ring more within the mind of Argyll, the Pawn.

However, as Oro takes his step backward a familiar voice rings out in his head, the first time he has heard this voice in many years.

“Win for me, my child” The childlike voice, ringing inside his head.

Oro grinning as he thinks to himself, “Welcome home.” Looking forward toward Argyll prepared to face the world.
Post #: 13
7/21/2020 0:01:25   
  Chewy905

It was always intriguing to watch a human’s mind twist its threads together, weaving an illusion from memory and trauma. Though he saw it not, he could feel hints of what the knight’s consciousness had woven forth.

A damaged pitchfork? Curious indeed. A wound at Mori’s side flared at the thought, but he ignored it. The mob had been foolish and misguided, believing me an evil god. He thought. Come to rot their crops and plague their village. How wrong they were.

As the knight spun towards him, Mori searched their lit helm, trying to locate any hint of emotion, any insight as to what the illusion had made them feel. Any hint of weakness as they stared at his form.

Nothing. It was only sensible the weight of Death would be trivial to one prepared to throw everything away for one wish.

Steel leveled at Mori. A challenge, a promise, and a threat. Mist glimmered in the Lord’s light, thinning to a needle point as it captured the glow within cool crystal.

A woman’s sad smile paints icy-blue lips. He sees his breath; mist in the air as it exits his lungs. Each intake he makes is a struggle against the cold bite that caresses his throat.

The illusion came unbidden to Mori’s mind, attempting to wrap around his senses and drown him in the past once more. He acknowledged it and let it stay, but refused to lose himself, a sharp bite of his lip grounding himself in reality.

Sister Gelu. He thought.

Steel dipped, and the crystal needles careened through the air. As before, a watcher split from the knight, keeping the crystals illuminated and shimmering as they carved their own path through the ever-present darkness. Silver warmed against his fingers, a heated harbinger of an ice cold threat. His mind raced, calculating a million variables, deciding the best course of action he could take with his crippled, dying flesh.

A word, and a circle sprang to life, bone rocketing sideways to shatter through two of the razors that approached. Watcher’s light flared up to reveal the blows before flickering out as the chain dissolved away to join the murky blackness. Uneven steps against the wooden floor saved Mori from a stake through his neck, but not from the sharp sting of ice against his stomach. He glanced down at the embedded crystal, his eyes narrowing.

Frost creeps up his stomach, his pulse slowing as breathing becomes harder and harder.

The words come like a cold northern breeze, dripping with sorrow but empty of regret as his vision whites out and his mind freezes in place.

“We are gods, Mori. Why do you keep forgetting that?”

Bone and chain scream forth.

Sturdy armor glints in the light of the ever-seeing watcher, moving swiftly towards Mori with bloodied steel in hand.

Medals of Honor wink regally off a commander’s uniform, moving swiftly towards Mori with silver blade thirsting for his heart.

Flowing robes of blue and white swing gracefully through the air, moving swiftly towards Mori with grasping, cold hands.

Three figures, two ghosts. Tricks woven by his mind, just as he forced other minds to weave. His mouth curled into a spiteful sneer. Specter, human, it matters not to me. I will not die again.

One word, two circles.

And then silver warmed against his fingers once more.

Mori staggered back instantly, scattering his magical circles and pushing his aching bones as hard as he could to avoid a threat he knew was coming but could not risk the time to see. A bellowing roar echoed across the darkened room, wood screeching as talons swept through it, the air pulling away as the dragon rocketed towards him.

Outstretched jaws crushed down on empty air, mere inches from the Mori’s husk of a body. A sigh of relief escaped his lips, before the trailing, tattered wing knocked out the rest of his breath. Though those desiccated wings could not lift their owner from the ground, they made Mori fly, his staff leaving his grip and spiraling through the air. His eyes locked onto it, commanding it back to him before it could vanish into the gloom. The cool, gnarled wood met his hand as his body crashed against the wooden floor and tumbled along.

His entire being aching with dull pain, Mori shakily rose to one knee, his staff supporting his frail form.

Fiery eyes locked onto the drake, the throbbing sting in Mori’s bones driving his spite to ever-growing levels of pristine fury. Rage barked forth, a rumbling, dreadful voice unfitting for the walking corpse it resounded from.

“Restrain. Skewer. For interrupting my cathartic reunion, I will put you to your final rest.”

Runes swept through the air, twisting and dancing over one another to give form to Mori’s fury. Twins of bone, bathed in light, carved through the still air to seek the dragon’s neck.

Potent, pure, honed spite would hold the beast in place as Mori’s eons-old fury pierced its throat.
Post #: 14
7/21/2020 2:34:54   
Kooroo

They advanced, the heretics. Two from the chamber’s left marched forth, as the arbiter forged her own dutiful path towards the center of the proving grounds. All under His Watchful Gaze, as the illuminating rays attested.

One bore the visage of a knight, much like Syn herself, though this heathen possessed a more standard panoply than the Hollowed Knight’s blessed arms. A simple shield and blade was all they bore, their surfaces winking in the heavensent rays, as their master bore them towards Syn.

Towards judgment.

The second nonbeliever was an elderly man, crippled by time. Wizened and hobbled over, the elder followed the gentile knight’s passage at his own, erratic pace, mad ravings falling from his lips like water from a fountain. Whatever demons haunted him were of no concern to her. Regardless of his woes and torments, the arbiter would bring forth salvation through His Providence, as was her eternal Duty. There would be no reprieve for those who forsook His Guidance.

No reprieve, no mercy.

For Mercy led to…

For from Mercy stemm—

There was a tightness under her mask.

The celestial choir faltered, their song cracking as an unseen force hammered at Syn’s temples. Her vision wavered for a fraction of a second, before the hymn stabilised and He spoke.

Mercy begets heresy, as per My Edicts. The fruits of blasphemy are spawned from the seeds of dissent.

Yes. He was right, as always. There was no room to question. To question was to doubt.

It appeared that this one would soon escape judgment, however, as the aged one seemed ripe for expiry. Bent over his cane and convulsing without end, it seemed that the heathen had taken its last step. It was the natural order, of course. For it was He who determined the End of one’s path. There was no room for arguing; no room for begging—only acceptance that their time had come. One less restless, impure soul to be purged on these darkened grounds.

Of course, she, Syn, His humble servant, would attend to the corpse later. A sing—

And then it stopped; the hacking fit ceased and the elder straightened up, pitted gaze locking on to the shield-bearing heretic. Cracked lips moved and a tongue of bone shot forth, hissing, illuminated by His Gaze.

There was nowhere to hide from Him, for He saw all. He was all.
The alabaster whip flew true, honing in on its blissfully ignorant target. It struck, the blow ringing out against plate, the sound heralding failure. Alerted, the bone-struck turned to address the disturbance, only for the tongue to strike again. Cartilage cracked against steel, as the azure bladed swordsheathen blocked with their shield. They turned to face their aggressor, as the ancient blasphemer’s pearly links withered to dust.

Syn watched as the templar moved, blade raised and frost gathering, as they drew towards their challenger, and away from her.

Away from judgment.

A delay of the inevitable was still a delay. Though all things would come to an end, either by her hand or His Will, the heretical knight’s path did the arbiter no favour.

And so, as per His Teachings, she would offer no amnesty. If they would not come to her willingly, then she would go to them, bearing wrath and reason.

Providence glowed as its wielder transferred the blade to her left side, the Hollowed One’s right gauntlet snaking up to join its twin on the grip. She planted her right foot forward, brought her left boot back, and then raised her sword, tip angled back and to the heavens. The angels softened, their song dying to a lull, before they spoke as one, their cries paralleling Syn’s own thoughts.

By Your Grace, I go.

A roar filled the Arena, matching the battlecry of the dragon-beast aside her. Magenta flame leapt from her back as the scaled mongrel lunged, targeting the bone-puppeteer.

So be it. Let battle be joined, and these fallacies brought to an end.

Once more did she feel a stiffness pull at her lips, but the arbiter ignored it and charged, blazing towards the templar.

Alerted by the din, the armoured apostate spun to meet their reckoning. The arbiter swung her blade down and across, its sacred edge seeking their foe’s life.
AQW Epic  Post #: 15
7/21/2020 15:47:37   
Caststarter

Bone to ice. Despair to death. Spite to pain. The husk summoned a chain of white, yet all it accomplished was delay the inevitable. Within the light, the needle skewered into its abdomen, pain coursing through. Now, be a good boy and sit. Submit to your next master.

However, fate’s cruel course was not done. Claws tore through wood, wings that threatened to batter through anything in their path, a maw that demanded to be fed. The hell knight retreated two paces back, allowing the scaled beast to lay claim to its assault. Yet the zombie stumbled back, only to fall prey to a tattered wing.

As Ricarda raised her sword towards the beast, a strange hum rang in her helmet. Ever so louder. With a quick turn around, the left slit of the visor gave view to the oversized sword’s owner charging. Without running. At great speed. With copious amounts of vile smoke. Swing slightly diagonally down coming forth.

Undeterred, the cruel warrior darted forward, angled to the right. She hovered her shield right over her head and shoulder, lest one idiotically wanted a very broken neck or arm. As the sword crashed forth, it nicked the top of the central spike, forcing the shield to fly to the side a bit as sparks flashed within the light.

Down to one knee, the hell knight took a sharp breath, waiting slightly coming to bear. Heart rate rapidly increasing.

As she rose back up straight, the corrupted mind was almost jovial, amused even. Oh, now you are fighting. At least you are someone I actually wanted to fight, not a mere distraction. Bone-white armor covered the knight’s torso. Perhaps even the arms and legs. All the while, the foul, thick smoke spread throughout the immediate vicinity.

With a rush, shield raised forth, sword arm masked, as steel plates clashed against each other, Ricarda set forth. Once more with monstrous strength, the smoked warrior swung their mighty weapon. The knight stepped towards the blade, as she brought forward both shield and blue blade to bear the brunt of the impact. Wood scraped and teared, metal scratched, overwhelming force pushed the knight across the ground, hand shock numbed the hands, all from what amounted to an overdone deflection.

Yet ever still, enemies about in the lights, willing to strike from the sides or behind…

---

The soul held a thin sword, blade within the left eye socket of the traitor’s face dressed in imperial uniform. Beige-yellow straps, black sleeves and trousers. She grasped her own head, burn scars stretched across, much of her reddish hair singed. So too was her gold and black coat, worn over her nightgown. Right behind her, the royal palace was overwhelmed by roaring flames of rebellion. Smoke bellowed out of the back doorway, as the soul hacked violently.

Your scars are to be remembered. Never allow them to heal. Day by day, look at your figure and tell yourself who has wronged you. Let that be what persuades you to continue forth.

The traitor mumbled as his body shook, broken leg wrapped by his arms. The soul pulled her arm back, as the rapier sliced into the traitor’s flesh even more. “Who did this?” She commanded, with a soft but chilling voice.

“People. Sumer. My own commanding general and your father’s trusted right-hand, Mags. Notes of working with the Dusk. Yet he was convinced otherwise by the very Guo Jia Strategist, Mort Alexander.”

All were guided by the false primordial’s lies. Life is fleeting, yet death is absolute. Threaten a mortal’s life, and they will beg anything from you. As the overseer of death, I am the true primordial.

The soul gritted her teeth. She clutched the traitor’s arm and hauled him over to the door. “Then you shall meet them all in Arallu”, she kicked the traitor into the palace, who became surrounded by the ever rising flames. Yet despite burning within, he could not bear to scream but shake all the more by his own doing.

“I will muster the remnants of our army. Messo will succeed, for it is the only nation that deserves to flourish.”

Don the appearance of a wielder of flame, then bring forth your ice. Embrace brutality when needed. Embrace skill when needed. Deceive. Know courage. Your place in the world was meant to be larger than you can imagine.
DF  Post #: 16
7/21/2020 18:22:34   
Ultrapowerpie

Cheese Louis, looks like that we got a real hootenanny in here. All sorts of folks in here. Thankfully my chef garments here have cleverly made me look like local help rather than a target. Well, no that’s probably not true, but somehow I’ve been completely ignored by everyone else. I thought these folks were supposed to be pros? You never, ever leave an opponent unattended, Piper thought as she grinned mischievously.

Piper had been quietly observing the other foes focusing on each other and had found her butterball bean already. Heck, she probably could have dug out an Iron Bean, but as Pa always said, never show your best meal to first-time customers. Otherwise, they’ll keep wondering why the food seems worse now than before. Especially when there’s a whole group of scrawny fellas that could all use a nice heaping helping of beans all gathered round in close combat.

That last statement wasn’t technically correct, really only half of that group needed some stuffing. After all, they were clearly wearing heavy armor and were quite tall, and Piper had fed enough lads and lasses of that size to know that they already got meat on their bones, otherwise, how’d they be able to wield those big swords? Not that she wasn’t inclined to share, but there were others much more desperately in need of her attention. Still, they were there, and ignoring them would not be prudent. However, they did seem preoccupied somewhat with each other, and that worked out for Piper quite fine, as she had no wish to get into close combat with either of them.

The scrawny old coot was definitely a concern, but not because he looked like a sack of skin and bones. No, Piper had dealt with NexMexers back west, and she knew the telltale signs of those that raise the undead. Well, at least the classic signs, for all she knew, that thing was one of those Lich-orice creatures she had read about in that one dime store novel. Point was, that coot gave her the heebeegeebees something fierce, much like the NexMexers, and that he wasn’t going to go down like his current state suggested.

The real prize here was the dragon in the arena. Piper had heard the legends of the delicious meals that could be made from dragon meat, but sadly dragons were non-existent back home. Grandpa would claim that the reason for that was that the Cassidy’s had hunted them to extinction in the nearby area for the meals, but Granma always said it was a load of hogwash. Still, there was the fact that the Cassidy Clan Cookbook did indeed have some recipes that used dragon meat in it, so maybe it wasn’t a complete shaggy dog story.

Sadly, it was such a runty, scrawny, scraggly, malnourished thing that Piper wasn’t actually sure if it’d be worth the trouble of hunting it. After all, Ma always said to not pick fights with beasts that you got no business with, particularly dragons. Come to think of it, with no dragons around, that expression never really made sense, but Ma said it was an old family motto…

A giant roar from the emaciated prize quickly brought Piper back from that train of thought as the action continued. Despite it’s appearances, that dragon definitely had a kick to it as it surged forward, trying to bite the old codger, who had revealed that they were more than capable of fighting, confirming Piper’s heebeegeebees. It’s not like she couldn’t or wouldn’t fight, but it just wasn’t natural messin with the dead like that, not to mention just plain rude.

Conveniently nearby, the armored foes were going at each other. One seemed to at least possess some ice magic, the other one had lit up like one of the family BBQ gatherings with fire and let out a shout that seemed almost primal… but not quite. The dragon still had that one down, but then again, it was a dragon. A hungry dragon that would eat a sack of skin and bones. Piper knew that when you’re going after the elderly for nourishment, you’re pretty desperate.

Done with assessing the situation and staying in the dark (so to speak), Piper decided that now was the best time to act. After all, the fella that helped her sign up explained that only the best of each element get selected to move on to the finals, and skulking around the outskirts was not going to get any points. Besides, Piper had waited for her guests to get settled in, now was the time to be a good host and provide the first course.

Piper moved a little closer (but not too much) to make sure that she had sufficient range for her next action. She flung the butterball bean at the brawl, aiming it so that it would hit both the dragon and the old coot, and possibly the other two armored fellas scrapping with each other. Specifically, when that bean hit the ground between the groups, it was going to burst forth with a whole mess of butterball beans all over the place.

Piper still being far out from the brawl and knowing that this would probably be one of the few times she’d be able to get out multiple beans at once before being attacked and bothered by ungrateful locals, so Piper dug deep into her can and quickly pulled out a burr bean. Piper flung this bean directly at the dragon, the timing of it roughly coinciding with the butterballs already exploded on the ground.

Piper’s main goal was to turn the fracas into a big upheaval. Everyone knows a gathering ain’t a party till someone’s on the floor, at least that’s what Uncle Elroy always said. Granted, Aunt Jesse was rather clumsy so maybe he was just joshing everyone. Well, regardless, this should be more fun that cow tipping after groundhog wrestling day!
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 17
7/22/2020 19:57:00   
deathlord45

The husk was more agile than their form would let on, much like Drageados’s own visage. However no matter how agile this sack of desiccated flesh was their luck would run out like it had for all others. As he began shifting his weight and momentum towards the husk again Drageados felt something strike his side but not do anything else.

Probably a piece of stray shrapnel from whatever is fighting that armored entity.

As the cacophony of conflict to his left began in earnest Drageados felt something else though this time it was beneath his feet. The ancient monster felt a dangerous shift in his momentum, direction and pitch, one that would send him careening off into the distance or toppling over himself. A deep snarl escaped him as he glared at the husk.

“No… Trick… Shall… Save… You.”

Following his instincts and intuition the bestial dragon dug his claws into the floor as leverage to swing his axis of movement into a semi-circle. The sound of ripping wood accompanied his back talons as they brought him to a halt leaving a marked trail following Drageados. His eyes remained locked on the husk before him, as what appeared to be a monstrously heavy hook and chain sailed towards his neck while a team of larger than normal humanoid creatures held fast to the chain further away.

NO! NEVER AGAIN!

Drageados ducked his body low and sprung himself forward and more to the side where the chain wouldn’t touch him. As he whirled his head to check that he was clear of the chain he felt as something pierced his neck. Whipping his head back Drageados came face to face with Fran once again holding a spear in his neck though the tones color seemed dulled and muted; before she melted away into shadows.

When the hunger first began to take hold of me you did nothing to help, all you did was bring a battalion to rip my heart out and here you are again after all these years still trying to kill me and not HELP ME!

Blinking his way back into the present his eyes refocused on the husk before him, his ancient rage at the betrayal he suffered all time ago. As well as the rage he felt towards the betrayal of his friends by those who claimed that they were allies. Only fury colored his gaze now, merciless hateful intent to make that which stood beside those traitorous mongrels suffer as long as possible.

“You work for that traitorous witch. WHERE IS SHE!?”

Drageados could feel a bit of blood trickling out of the wound alongside the air escaping through the hole as he spoke distorting his speech’s tone and pitch. Pushing himself forward undaunted using his claws to make sure he had traction as he approached the husk. As he reached it, he reared back his front right claw to carve into the wasted away creature before him.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 18
7/22/2020 23:24:13   
Kooroo

Quartz clashed with iron, the tumultuous collision reverberating around the desolate pit, shaking the very air.

Yet still, the heresy lived. Of this, Syn was certain, for Providence had not struck true. Violet sparks flew and the crackle of shattering glass sounded as lightning flashed under her feet, bringing the godsent warrior to a swift stop.

She pivoted as she landed, turning to face the sinner as smoke swirled around her, venting from her blessed plate. The turncoat warrior who would dare contest His Right to All stood afore her, unwounded and unbelieving. Unbroken.

The ache came back, a rising, throbbing pressure on the skin of her temples, but she ignored it. Something flew by her, dangerously close to the back of her head, but the knight did not let that distract her.

Compounding her failure, the insolent heretic advanced, striding forth to challenge her. To challenge Him, their shield raised in defiance.

Her eyes narrowed a fraction.

How bold. How courageous. It was seldom that an apostate would dare to approach her.

The pressure peaked on the walls of her skull…

And then it popped, unbidden images flowing to the fore of her mind. Images? No, memories. Memories, from a life long past. All similar, yet differing in some way. In each, the arbiter held a blade—thin and sleek—at the ready; prepared to meet her foe. A man, a knight and a girl; each attempted to challenge her.

And each time, she turned them away.

Behind her mask, the arbiter’s lips twitched again. The sensation stayed this time, curving the sides of her mouth into an expression most foreign, almost forgotten—a smirk.

Syn let Providence sink, lowering her vaunted blade and centering it, mirroring the scene in her mind. If this one dared to provoke her, then she would gladly show it th—

Her vision faltered and the pressure came back, clamping on to the sides of her brow.

Thy work remains undone, He commanded, His voice shattering the visual echo into blackness. Deliver My Wrath, as it is My Will.

For He wills it so, the seraphs chanted solemnly, repeating the mantra until Syn obediently mouthed their words.

Indigo flame burst from her once more and the Hollowed Knight launched herself, lunging forward. Disciple joined apostate once more, metal shield and glowing sword crashing violently and locking, as the taint fended off her wrath.

And still, they remained standing, refusing to break. Refusing to give themselves over to His Guidance, even as the namesake blade forced them back

No matter.

Dark smoke wafted through the air as Syn followed through with the strike, breaking the union of arms. Holy Providence rose up and over her shoulder again, now shrouded in purple light.

Forward, the voices called, their voices one, yet many.

For He wills it so, the servant finished silently, mouth hidden behind her sacred veil.

And then The Hand came down, roaring in all its fury.
AQW Epic  Post #: 19
7/23/2020 23:45:01   
Riprose123

Argyll fought the urge to roll his eyes at the young man as he gave a dramatic and somewhat nihilistic proclamation. "I've never known much peace, young one," Argyll said, following the man's movements with his eyes, "nor have I known such hopelessness as you. Whatever has caused you to forsake honor and humanity, I hope you can someday overcome it."

Argyll watched as the hammer was drawn back farther and farther as he talked. Finally, at the apex of the swing the hammer changed direction heading for where his shield sat. Instead of driving his shield up to meet and deflect the blow, he let his trident catch the rod of the hammer, springing the rod to trap the weapon against two of the tines and pushing it down and away from his body. He heard the heavy thunk of his trident against wood as he pinned the sharp points into the wooden floor. “You’ll have to try a bit harder than that to get at me boy,” Argyll growled, focusing his mind and raising the temperature around him to cause his opponent to sweat uncontrollably.

The boy jerked at his weapon a moment before Argyll freed the hammer with a slight twist of his wrist. He set his shield forward again, but kept his trident back a bit, ready to spin and strike if needed. With his free arm, Argyll drove his shield forward, jabbing at the man’s chest to drive him back and away. The strike was mainly to increase distance between the two. He set his shield forward again, but kept his trident back a bit, ready to spin and strike if needed. Argyll took a moment to breath,letting Oro compose himself as well before they danced any more. He flashed his opponent a wizened grin, glad to finally be doing what he had been bred and born for. He ached for the feel of battle when out of it, and knew it was due to the long years of war he had seen. He wanted better for his children, and would try his hardest to win this tournament to make it so.
DF MQ  Post #: 20
7/24/2020 0:01:22   
  Chewy905

The roar shook the black room with a furious call of pure rage. An army. A dragonslayer. It was only natural that these things would strike anger into the heart of their quarry. Its eyes, hungry, crimson orbs, locked onto Mori, questioning him, his allegiances, and his existence.

Another being that believed he was someone, something, he was not. Mori’s mouth curled into a sad smile as he observed the emaciated beast as its talons ripped through the pristine wooden floor. Every death, every wound that marred his own body, a reminder of a false belief.

and the most heinous of all…

As the dragon erupted forwards, spurred on by false truths, Mori stood firm. He imagined the full force of the creature barreling into him once more, his desiccated body flying through the air as his staff gets knocked from his hands.

And he pictured the staff sitting in the darkness, lit by a single spotlight before that same light blinks out, and Mori is left helpless.

Mori’s eyes shut, the approaching beast becoming nothing but an eventuality, a promise that must be prepared for. Silver warmed against cold hands, calling for action, movement, and safety.

“Restrain.”

Chain struck his arm, wrapping tightly and locking it in place, cold bone pressing against his skin. He did not turn his head, did not open his eyes to see what trick his own mind had decided to create for him this time. He simply tightened his grip on his staff, stared sightlessly at the uncaged aggression, and prepared. He whispered, a ghost of a voice to cross the black boundary between the two dying souls, hoping it would pierce the wall of the beast’s fury but knowing it was hopeless.

“I am not with her.”

Invisible talons slashed through dark robes, tearing open frail skin, igniting a million old wounds in one blow. Pain rippled through his body hungrily, repeatedly, as he screamed out in a thousand places at once. Faces swam in his blackened vision: brothers, sisters, friends and foes, bringing blade and talon and whip across the three open gashes that bore down on his mind. Voices rang in his ears: fiery hot denouncements, sorrowfully given apologies, screams of outrage and fear. His mind clamped down, pushing aside the meaningless deaths, those at the hands of peasants, and dragons, and bandits, grasping tight to his siblings’ images.

Cold eyes look on. Mirthful eyes look on. Tired eyes look on. Bored eyes look on. Rage-filled eyes look on.

Mori dies. Mori dies. Mori dies. Mori dies. Mori dies.

And they don’t.

Mori’s eyes snapped open as the dragon rocketed past, their spotlights meeting for a single moment before darkness rushed between them to fill the gap once more. His body swung with the momentum of the slash, the fire of pain still burning bright in three straight lines of his chest. The steel-tight grip on his arm held fast, though he refused to gaze upon it, as his frail form pivoted in place rather than soar across the room. Lightning fired through his arm, the force of the strike having bent it dangerously far, but keeping it intact. His feet alighted on the illuminated wood, his staff touching down with them, and whatever illusion his mind had made for him left to join the inky darkness.

As he stared at the beast, anger flowed like blood from his open wounds. The gashes screamed, demanding partners, demanding stakes driven through scale and draconic blood to fill the empty ponds carved by the beast’s talons. Mori’s spite called in harmony with them, willing him onwards to slay the dragon and prove that gods ruled above such scaled creatures.

No.

He was not above the creature, and he wasn’t here for such a paltry task. Though his fresh spite cried for recompense from the beast, an ancient fire burned far more intensely for the never-taken lives of murderers eons old.

He tore his eyes from the tempting monster, turning his gaze upon the opposite side of the room. An odd girl in culinary clothing stood still by her entrance, but before her were two knights locked in combat. A knight in strange, white armor, hidden beneath a loose coat. And the knight of cold in their simple splendor.

Their sturdy armor reflected the watcher’s light above.

A silver blade flashed through the air, the watcher’s light guiding its path.

Robes of blue and white swept along, dancing in the bright glow of the watcher.

Pitiless eyes watched on while the silver pierced his chest.

Regretless eyes watched on while the chill froze his heart.

And his spite kindled ever hotter.

Mori snuck a glance behind him at the monster that had torn asunder his mind and his chest. He noted the stained claws and fangs. The dying, aged body. The tattered, desiccated wings.

And the crimson, spite-filled orbs that glowed with hungry, ancient rage.

Mori’s dying, aged arm rose. His frail, desiccated legs shook. His black, spite-filled eyes locked onto the real and the imaginary that he saw before him. Staff plunged downwards, cracking against the wooden floor with a note that rang out in the darkness, carving a path to every light so all may hear. His voice followed, a rumbling tone spilling words from a pair of ancient lips meant for a single pair of ancient ears.

“Even if I fell them, they are yours, oh kindred soul. Partake.”
Post #: 21
7/25/2020 4:36:04   
Caststarter

“I am the fairest in the land. The most intelligent in the land. Thereby, I am the most qualified to rule as queen once my father retires!” The unscarred soul hummed to herself with a pretentious grin, brushing her hair in front of a mirror.

Rudely, a flustered maid, face ruddy, opened the door without knocking. “Miss Messo! I am sorry to interrupt, but one of the royal vases got smashed while cleaning! The family sword also got bent.”

Such minor setbacks, to some. Yet even those should not be tolerated. Unruly behavior and mistakes foster into actions far more devastating.

The young soul set aside her brush, sighed, and tied her hair into a hasty knot. “And who was the one to do the deed?”

“Victor. He was cleaning them at the time, however, he stumbled.”

“Wasn’t he supposed to be up for cleaning duty in the kitchen?”

“Must’ve gotten his shift mixed up.”

The soul got up from her chair, irritated. She lifted the fire stick, leant over, and tended the fire that crackled. “Well that is a shame. If he doesn’t arrive back soon, will force him too. Though, come over here.”

The maid shakily stepped over, hand tucked underneath the elbow. Frighteningly, the soul whipped the hot fire stick with her back hand right across the maid’s face, who began to keel over. She followed up, this time right at the back. Ash covered the back and face, as the woman gasped in pain. “Do not lie to me, especially when my father is on a trip to Umbris.”

Mortals will lie. You must as well, in order to truly punish those who wrong you.

“I swear Vic-!” Another whip followed through across the face.

“When I said Victor was to be in the kitchen. I meant in the kitchen over at the nearby garrison. Now, repeat my name!”

“Ricarda Von Messo.”

“Louder!”

“Ricarda Von Messo!”

To think your title was lost. But now, you bear a far more appropriate one. Become the vulture you were destined to be. Seize any opportunity to show the world who you are, or else you will be forgotten by mortals, much how they dared to do so to me.

---

The greatsword followed through, yet an opening dared not reveal itself. Could step back. Follow-up. Defend. All bolstered by the ridiculous reach of the warrior’s oversized weapon. On the contrary, the azure sword’s tip would just create a flesh wound from Ricarda’s dire position, at best.

The vile smoke crept into the visor, where faint whiffs, despite some uncanny but false sweetness, reactively made the hell knight grit her teeth. The helmet sweltered, skin clammed up. Amidst the smoke cloud, the brutish blade begeted violet. That is it. I’ll make you do something else, rather then swing that repulsive sword!

The voiceless warrior hoisted and swung a forceful blow once more, predictable from now on especially with a stream of light following it. Almost by instinct, Ricarda evaded to the side to her left, swiping the cursed blade at the flat of their opponent’s weapon.

Azure steel struck at supernatural quartz, where it sent the repetitive swing off course, sparks spewing from contact. Strangely, the light compressed, expanded, and then erupted as air blasted in the vicinity, with splinters flying about striking at place. The force drived through the knight’s body. Even the steel plates reverberated as the energy dissipated, where if there was a boom, ringing from her ears and helmet drowned it all out.

However, she dragged her feet against the force’s aftermath, as she wound up her arm to the side, where mist congregated at the tip. Swiftly, ice formed and shaped into that of a warhammer.

Ricarda circled around her opponent, as she bent down in turn with a passing step. Legs, torso, and arm all rotated in tandem, as she put in her all. Hands clenched, muscles tightened. The frozen hammer glided through the air, towards the masked warrior’s covered knee to the side. Upon contact, ice shattered, glistening in the spotlight, as the rest of the sword scraped off of whatever armor was in place. Armor that was beyond the thickness of steel plate.

Yet why stop?, echoed within the cruel knight's mind. A command, not of now, but drilled into the mind from a time long lost.

Blood and spite fueled the hell knight, as a barely audible, heavy set growl slipped through the teeth. She retracted her shield arm, as her gaze beyond the visor dug into the masked warrior’s cracked visage, who too stared back, almost as if they were an eyeless angel. Like an uppercut, Ricarda swung the shield skyward, disturbingly fueled by inner blood lust.

The shield’s rim smashed into the mask, with a stark and low pitched clang. The masked warrior’s head flew from the impact, stumbled, and crashed down to the ground. Unmoving. Vulnerable. That is it? That is it?! Get up, dammit!

The hell knight marched forward, foot crushing down into the cracked warrior’s abdomen, where it gave in only slightly. “This can’t be it,” she muttered, with disbelief all throughout her voice. “This can’t be it! Do something, otherwise I will make your afterlife worse!”

Her sword hand twitched, where her boot pressed in even harder. Blood. Death. Control. Guided not by sanity or intelligence, the cruel knight crouched down, blade tip aimed at the downed warrior’s neck. The azure sword plummeted downwards, with no other desire but to feast once more…
DF  Post #: 22
7/25/2020 9:49:14   
Thyopath

“You’ll have to try a bit harder than that to get at me boy.”

These words rang out with the thud of Oro’s hammer crashing into the wooden floor splintering it slightly. However, Oro waited with the hammer trapped under the trident of his fellow competitor for a strike that never came. Feeling the temperature rise around him making his soulless body sweat. With this distraction around him he hadn’t noticed Argyll rush him with his shield bashing into the torso of Oro shoving him back.

The heat combined with the sound of the child's voice once again in Oro’s head brought him back to the day where he and the ring became bound together. Week’s after the incident in the cave Oro had experienced many weird instances with other people where they seemed to not understand him, or knew who he was. Feeling outcast and alone he once again returned to his father's blacksmith for one last attempt at his father’s approval. When he arrived no one was home, nothing was there except for the roaring fire within the furnace and the slight glint of a rock laying on the center table in the smith. It was the stone from cave, seeing it almost sending Oro into shock him stepping back as the child’s voice rings out to him:

“Use me, and we will be destined for greatness” The voice was choppy and wispier than normal but somewhat endearing to Oro.

Walking over to the rock Oro examined it not noticing any metallic properties and attempted to treat it differently, but to his surprise the stone melted fine and was working differently than anything he had worked with previously. The molten rock seemed to just form itself with each second Oro watched. The ring finally emerged from the molten rock seeming to float before him.

“Now do you trust your soul to my will, and we can fight against your worst fears so you can no longer feel nothing.”

These words gave Oro so much hope for himself and without even needing to say a word to the child’s voice in his head the ring floated over Oro’s body passing down over him. He finally felt something but it was something he soon would realize would change his life forever.

“You shouldn’t underestimate me Argyll we have barely just met.” Smirking toward him as he watches as a grin overtakes Argyll’s face.

Saying this the ring spins up once more, watching as the hammer in front of him crumbles to dust and falls to the floor.

“Wall”

As the command is ushered a rock breaks off again from the ring expanding almost impossibly from its original size creating a wall between Argyll and himself.

“Wall”

Oro exclaimed again, another rock flying out this time underneath him using it to raise himself above the rest only a few feet off the ground but enough to have the high ground over the other competitors. Almost surfing the stone as he stands atop it waiting to see if Argyll proceeds to chase him or Oro can do what he’s planning.
Post #: 23
7/25/2020 13:00:52   
Ultrapowerpie

Sheesh, make a dragon slip and slide and careen into someone else, fail to get noticed. What’s a girl gotta do to get some attention? Piper wondered, digging deep into her can for a rare Iron Bean. It was easier to focus and find one right now because nothing was engaging her in combat, giving her time and space to find it. I guess I should be grateful for a potshot here, when one of ‘em starts attacking me, it’ll be a lot harder to dig out an Iron Bean. Need to also remember that Burr Beans don’t work on heavy armor, including dragon scales...

Piper watched as she rummaged through the can, mostly to just make sure nothing was actually coming at her. The two armored foes were still hacking at each other, and would probably prove to be a useful distraction if nothing else for Piper’s next move. This assumed the dragon would actually figure out what was happening to it and not blame the nearest thing in its vicinity.
Of more concern to Piper was the aftermath of the charge on the creepy old man, who took a nasty hit, to say the least, but was still standing, somehow. Ok, there is no way in heck that the old feller should still be standing from that slash. Granted it looks like he anchored himself with one of those chains, but that should have torn the limb right off… Dang necromancer, lich-orice or whatever that thing is. Definitely not normal, seems awfully attached to that staff though…”

Piper had retrieved the Iron Bean by this point and was ready to fire it, slowly moving closer to the center but keeping a fair distance away, and keeping the two knights in view to her left. She heard and saw the slam of the staff on the ground, and heard the words “kindred spirit” from the voice of the creepy old skin bag. Does that mean he thinks he can convince the dragon to be an ally? Probably try to get the dragon to do his dirty work for him, I reckon. Guess I better go for it now!

KACRACKIPOOM!

Iron Beans make a peculiar sound when flung properly. It’s not quite thunder, not quite a gun firing, not quite an explosion, and not quite a thwip. It’s like a mixture of all of the above and a bit more sprinkled in. However one described it, the Iron Bean had a unique way of announcing itself as it hurled towards the dragon. Piper had aimed the shot to hit the dragon’s head, hoping to get it in the eye if everything worked out perfectly. If I miss the eye, maybe I can get him through the mouth. It’d be hilarious if it went through the nose, but I get a feeling fate’s not going to be that kind today Piper thought as she awaited to see the impact of her fling.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 24
7/26/2020 19:26:22   
deathlord45

Drageados’s wroth gaze settled on the husk before him. It spoke that they feast before them would still be solely his even if the withered one were to slay the prey around them. The offer of an easier hunt would have been quite tempting to the antediluvian monstrosity if the sack of dust and bone wasn’t working for Fran.

“You… Think… I… Would… -“

Something caught his eye, a human approaching on the other side of the living corpse before him. A loud crack of thunder rang out as this new challenger threw something at the mighty dragon, Drageados watched as a minuscule light formed and followed the projectile on its journey.

Even with that sound something that small won’t do anything at all to me.

Adjusting the positioning of his head so that whatever the object was it would simply scrap against the steel-like scales that covered him. As it struck he realized the minor miscalculation in estimating the force of the projectile, it rent and tore as it followed the trajectory laid out for it by the thrower. Kinetic energy transferred into Drageados as scale, hide, and flesh were torn from his face moving his head slightly more with it leaving a long gash carved into it, knocking an old long thought lost memory loose from the deepest reaches of his history.

“Don’t ever make such a foolhardy assumption again ya big lummox. You would have died if we weren’t nearby!”

Drageados laid sprawled out in front of a small campfire hidden from the world in ancient almost faire like glade. The canopy of the massive trees blotting out light beneath their boughs in the forest around them.

A man paced near his head ranting and raving about fighting smarter and being cautious having just almost knocked Drageados out with a single blow. While a kindly woman tended to the myriad of other wounds he had recently sustained. His best and first friends, two of the strongest beings in the world Ruin’s Emperor and the Glittering Queen.

Blinking and shaking his head a little, a deep vengeful snarl escaped him growing in hate as the throbbing pain of his new wound began to register to his mind before breaking into a mirthful laugh.

“Rahahahahahahhahahaha. Yes, I do believe I will partake kindred. Let us remind them of the manners they have yet to show us.”

Focusing in back on the little human that had hurt him, the dark rolling miasma that had long ago replaced his flame began to billow from his nostrils, mouth, and the wound on his neck. Moving towards the human who attacked him, he dug his talons into the flooring to prevent himself from sliding again.

Pausing momentarily to allow the red armor clad individual to sail past before of him having been sent flying by their opponent; before returning his attention to the human girl and restarting his movement.

“I thank you, for reminding me of grand times long since passed. As your reward, breathe deeply and embrace the endless sleep that comes to all your liminal kind.”

His muscles locked as Drageados released a mighty bellow of cloying miasma at the little human that had given him such a great gift in his old age.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> =EC 2020= Twilight Arena
Page 1 of 212>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition