Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Regarding the future of character pages

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> Regarding the future of character pages
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1/11/2021 18:52:03   
Ninjaty

With the support for the Flash player plugin killed off by major browsers, we will no longer able to share the brilliant (and sometimes less so) appearances of our characters, as our character pages are now restricted to text only. Or so it would appear. The browser opened by the launcher, of course, does not have this issue, as it enables us to navigate around via links only. But it is instead faced with another issue: The inability to locate specific character pages.

Normally one could just manually enter an address, but due to the sandboxy nature of AE's little browser, that would impose a security concern. The Flash plugin has always been a cause for many holes to security, and so the launcher's browser is only really secure because it is intended to only navigate around on AE's pages, preventing us from going out into the wild where it's built-in Flash player could be exploited.

The fast, easy and efficient solution? They could just add a link to the character finder around the top of our character page, and thus we would be allowed to search via the launcher browser. This would be a simple and elegant fix, and one which AQW has already implemented on their character pages.

But then I got thinking: Could the character pages potentially be used for something more?
  • NPCs could be given character pages (separate from staff character pages)
    These could be opened from interacting with the NPC within the game, and could show us the items they are supposed to be using/owning, along with potential easter eggs/trivia about the character.
  • Clans could show off some of their members
    In real life, clans would gain fame from having famous individuals of great skill or importance within them. Why could the same not be true for those found in AQ? Players of high skill, particular exploits or generous contributions, could be used to promote the clan to potential new members, as well as being inspiring/interesting to learn about for existing members.
  • Items/monsters referencing the players who inspired them, could actually show you these players
    Ever since the first player suggestions came into the game, the names of the players that inspired the items or monsters have been credited in their descriptions. Why not extend this to actually showing these players as well, immortalizing them within their contributions to the game.

There are many possibilities for what character pages could be used for, and that is what I would like to see discussed. Do you have any ideas for how the humble character page could be turned into something more than it currently is? Is there something you've always wanted to see done to or with them? Share your thoughts!

< Message edited by Ninjaty -- 1/11/2021 21:51:20 >
  • Post #: 1
    1/11/2021 21:52:43   
    Mike Dragonblade

Hi, I think character pages are interesting and there are some uses that I would love to see happen:

1. A wardrobe/armory: a place where you can be alone with your character on some Me time and see your stuff:

Most of the game POV it's literally from your character eyes, you can only see yourself in cutscenes or battles, you don't really get to see yourself on downtime, and the only way to see what your equipment actually looks like it's going into battle and equip it, and that's fine but on the roleplay side it breaks all the immerssion to go into a Random battle with Idk a "lvl 100 Drakath back from the death" and be all like, "just wait a sec dude I want to see if this shield matches the colour of my sword" or being "hold up hold up I need to know what my Zaphy and Nelly looks like because I heard the art got reworked aaaaand yes the knight seal still looks cool (so does the butterfly but I see her Goth-phase its over)".

I am sure most people would fix the cognitive dissonance by simply doing all that in the "combat practice drakel" since, well, its kinda his job to let us try out stuff.

But what if you could go to your character page and click your equipment and just SEE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE. That would be a quality of life improvement for me.

And if you guys take it a bit further and allowed us to see the item descriptions, tool tips and elemental resistances it would be amazing! (the same stuff that is already shown in battle but outside, on you own terms). Several new players that I have introduced to AQ have mentioned that they wish they could see this stuff outside of battle, and character pages could help us with this.

An armory/wardrobe would allow for a more visual experience when theorycrafting, an experience that is different from just "combat practice" since down time It's when the ideas come in.

2. On the same note, and going even further, if you hover or click on your equipment you get to see the Info on the equipment:

I don't know if this is feasible, but it's just that there is a lot of info that is no where in game, and that is especially harsh on newer players who aren't going to just jump in into the forums to find out if what their "Lvl 30 Vorpal Edge" proc chance is or any of the detailed info that is keep by the sages of the AQ Enciclopedia. And the same goes for old Players that don't fancy the forum and wish to know the elecomp of the new war rewards.

While the battle screen may be too crowded for such detailed info, a down time character page is a perfect place for that kind of intellectual process, allowing the whole player base to have a better grasp on what their character are physically grasping with their hands.

If the amount of equipment it's too vast to be added in by the dev team, why not use what the people in the info submissions have already been helping to make. I imagine clicking on an armour and getting pop out with the forum page of said armour. (I said a lot of people don't go the forums but a direct link from the game it's more organic IMHO). Of course I have no idea if this is even possible work wise.

3. Finished Wars could have a screen that allows you to see the character pages of the Top contributors to that particular war (most kills I guess) :

Well you said it yourself, clans should showcase their member and the more reputable or famous the better... Well how are we going to make them famous? By inmortalizing them on Wars.

Lore is a realm with a tremendous amount of wars, and a lot of them aren't rare quest, so how about the same old wars just link you to the ones who were the heroes of said war (by killing the most enemies) a. I don't know can be a top 3, 5, 10, 25, 100, it doesn't matter it gets you extra braggins rights.

4. If NPC gets character pages, they could mention where to go to find their essential quests:

This would be awesome to both returning players and new ones, because even if it's just done for a few main NPC it helps to make sure everyone is on the same page about an NPC. For example I don't know where Gaspar (Cyrus brother) came from, he just sorta appeared, so I would appreciate if it's character page told me where to go to do the quest in which he was introduced to the game, that way I could feel that he actually belongs in the dracomancer storyline and isn't it just some guy who appear and does stuff that should have been done by Cyrus. Another example is HOLLOW, as a returning player I was quite intrigued to find out hollow NPC, from the carnax storyline, was a demonslayer or a half demon or something of the sorts, and that he was still in our time and not in the future, so if his character page let me know that I had to do a quest called Destroyer I in DragonSpine in order to be up to date, I would appreciate it because it's a essential quest/moment for the Hollow NPC.

5. If NPC or Devs have character pages there should be at least one NPC/DEV that just wears whatever it's released that week so people can see it:

This used to be a common practice in AQW (dunno if still is) and it was a good nice thing, just check X character page, that is how this week loot looks (sure someone people are going to use it just to spoiler themselves but I think the mayority of people would just check it out to see what things look like before buying them).

6. Fusión Titles and Journal in the character page to have more history of you displayed:

So we have this journal thing that says when the character was created, when it became a guardian, when you last played and that's about it. I believe it could be much more, and have important stuff of your character like the dated that you bested the Devourer Saga final quest or the date yoh reached cap level.

But what else? Well Titles, just add the date you got it and slap it into the journal, since the journal it's up there next to the character image, it's going to be a tool for Players to record their own story about their own PC through dates and titles, at least thats the idea.

7.Story writer Cray mentioned in another thread that he has long term plans for the moral compass:

If Thats going to be the case, why not make give the compass a place in our character page.
    AQ DF  Post #: 2
    1/11/2021 22:47:42   
    Veleqwii_Fox

I want to be able to delete some War Records. Some wars I'm not to proud of lol
    Post #: 3
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> Regarding the future of character pages
    Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
    New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
    and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
    PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition