Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =DF= February 5th Design Notes: Arena at the Edge of Time: Teacher and Student

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: =DF= February 5th Design Notes: Arena at the Edge of Time: Teacher and Student
Page 2 of 2<12
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2/8/2021 3:59:44   
dragon_master

quote:

If you're running in without guests, extra potions, or food, as the fights were intended to be engaged with

Subjective, if anything. Matter of fact, if you don't use any of these tools which are basically for free, you're most likely limiting yourself, especially in AARGH, where you are effectively reducing bad RNG, simply by having 5 potions and/or Seaweed/Rotten Hardtack/Pierogi.

quote:

Guardian

Simply went from "bad" to "less bad".

Pyro however - yes - that class objectively became good. It was as garbage as is Ascended ChickenCow Lord at the moment.

< Message edited by dragon_master -- 2/8/2021 4:03:05 >
DF  Post #: 26
2/8/2021 8:06:55   
aryc0110

quote:

Subjective, if anything. Matter of fact, if you don't use any of these tools which are basically for free, you're most likely limiting yourself, especially in AARGH, where you are effectively reducing bad RNG, simply by having 5 potions and/or Seaweed/Rotten Hardtack/Pierogi.

I'm not telling you how to play, I'm telling you how the fights are designed to be played. It's completely plausible to walk in with an NDC/NSO class, with no extra potions and no Hardtack/Seaweed/Pierogi and come out on top through a practiced rotation because that's how it was meant to be. Inevitable Equilibrium makes that line a little fuzzy, but is becoming less so with nearly every update. Guests are objectively not how fights are meant to be fought because they actually introduce RNG that makes the fight harder to do consistently, but easier to do with luck, and they apparently cause a ton of bugs that I'm not fully privy to.
The extra potions/food/guests aren't what challenges are built around, and they're considered by the majority of high-end players to be pretty dishonorable tactics, but if they work for you they work for you. Just don't say that the best mana regen weapon in the game barring a rare doesn't have "much of an effect" because your playstyle utilizes unnecessary crutches.

If you need food/extra potions to do AARGH you're not doing AARGH as effectively as possible or likely don't know the fights well enough to stack up against them at random. The general strategy is to relog on fights like Sinnocence, Frallmar, and Illumina because they take too long and are too resource-intensive. Though, with this quote from your earlier post...
quote:

is there any chance that endurance fights could be removed from AARGH? They require very specific playstyles, which in my book doesn't qualify as "Random".
Emperor of SC and most notably, Sinnocence, just don't belong there. These fights take up to 1 hour or even longer. Not fun at all.

I have to wonder what kind of class you're using for AARGH. Emperor of the Sea Chicken has a lot of health but is one of the easier fights and I wouldn't say it has enough defensive mechanics to qualify as an "endurance battle", it's just a bit beefy. What's really alarming is that you said it takes up to an hour for some of these fights and more for others. Even with Sinnocence, easily the tankiest, most endurance-requiring fight out of the entire A.A.R.G.H. roster aside from maybe Illumina, it shouldn't be taking you an hour to beat him, let alone longer than that if you're running anything anywhere near optimal and playing it as well as you possibly can.

quote:

Simply went from "bad" to "less bad".

Pyro however - yes - that class objectively became good. It was as garbage as is Ascended ChickenCow Lord at the moment.

I have my own problems with the Guardian revamp, too, but it's not that the class is bad. It's not supposed to be stellar, Verly's design philosophy was for it to be a progression class, one you use until you can get your hands on something like Dragonlord, Necromancer, Technomancer, or the Atealans. An inbetween for your base class and a class you'd use throughout the entire game. The issue is that it's probably the single toughest class to train, with its only competition in the ballpark being Dragonslayer, so it doesn't serve that purpose very well even if it's in the proper location for it. It requires ten defender's medals, which you're not getting by progressing through the game normally, as well as several different quest items in groups of 5 to 10 and the wings of the hundred flames, none of which are reasonable for obtaining a progression class in my opinion. I'm hoping this will be addressed when it gets its eventual art and animation revamp, along with Ascended Chickencow and Shadowhunter.
Post #: 27
2/8/2021 10:07:19   
asgaron

I am personally very disappointed at DBE
Mainly because i feel that things like questing are not high bars that require such under tuning that kills the performance of other forms of player engagement, especially in a class like Epoch.

It feels less like a unique strategy and build for a epoch variant. And more of a hoopla round about version of either Base Epoch and Epoch Eternal

Also i don't understand Chaos Weaver is a Quester class too right like is that not why it was made the way it was but it can still perform well in bosses and other more heavy combat sure it still dies tragic deaths in some really unforgiving ways but its still impressive in its own right its not so limited.

I Am not really asking for a power creep but i've seen some complaints where when something does power creep its brought down to make the lamer aspects seem more fitting (Though this is not a class vs class discussion)

Also DBE is a calendar and CHW is not a calendar class and there are other non questing classes which can do just as fine as DBE in rapid hunts. or can they not? (I might be mistaken about this games over all performance) I just never felt a significant difference. though 250 boost right? at the start of the DBE's Testing may be a bit absurd the aspect of extremely high damage followed by some draw back though failed with CDE could of been a great and significant inclusion of DBE and equal out its under tuning to longer fights and boss fights (and longer quests kinda)

The way the class is now, i even think is somewhat fine honestly but the slice and DOT don't feel as nearly existent enough and the cool-down of the overdrive seems a bit unneedly long too

This is how i feel though anyone can correct me if im wrong im curious to see the pros and cons to my disposition
Also how long is testing?
Post #: 28
2/8/2021 11:43:16   
dragon_master

quote:

I'm not telling you how to play, I'm telling you how the fights are designed to be played.

Pretty sure there is no set way. Again, subjective. And no, I didn't interpret it as ''telling me how to play''.
quote:

They're considered by the majority of high-end players to be pretty dishonorable tactics

What does this even mean, lol? Is this something you personally came up with as a strawman?
quote:

Just don't say that the best mana regen weapon in the game barring a rare doesn't have "much of an effect" because your playstyle utilizes unnecessary crutches.

That is purely objective - it just doesn't. If 5 potions and Pierogi weren't a thing that you can replenish after basically every AARGH or whatever challenge fight, then grinding for the weapon would've been worth it. It does something that other non-weapon items are doing better and basically for free as well. However, I am certain the Quadstaff got secretly nerfed because I could swear that weapon had MP regen as well. Still no reason for me (personally) to grind Warlic's Gift when BoA and the aforementioned items exist.
Don't see how they are ''crutches'' (if such a term even exists in a game such as DF), they are simply tools that you can acquire for free. Not using them is just making your life harder for the sake of challenge. Neither productive nor fun in my book.

quote:

I have to wonder what kind of class you're using for AARGH. Emperor of the Sea Chicken has a lot of health but is one of the easier fights and I wouldn't say it has enough defensive mechanics to qualify as an "endurance battle", it's just a bit beefy.

All (except calendar and rare) classes, depending on which I want to play at that time.
Pyro,enTropy,Kathool,sometimes Ancient Exosuit, Ascendant, Technomancer... etc.
Okay let's assume I misjudged the Emperor. He is easy indeed, and that is what makes him boring. He simply has a lot of HP and does a typical ''set-you-up-for-a-nuke-that-you-can-easily-defend'' attack rotation. He's not fun in anyway and should be simply absent from AARGH. His only point in the game is to grind Unraveler Wings, as far as I remember.

quote:

What's really alarming is that you said it takes up to an hour for some of these fights and more for others. Even with Sinnocence, easily the tankiest, most endurance-requiring fight out of the entire A.A.R.G.H. roster aside from maybe Illumina, it shouldn't be taking you an hour to beat him

Let's pretend I exaggerated. Well, 0.5 hour at minimum. Sinnocence is just Legion Crawler+. There is absolutely nothing fun about him. If you take something which is 70% on the defensive side (e.g. Necromancer) and without even 5 potions, and you have decent WIS (base ~60), the fight is already over. It simply takes an unnecessarily long amount of time to finish him. For a single Timewarped Medal.

And no, I specifically mean endurance fights. Don't know (or care) about Illumina, rewards from those challenges are some of the weakest in the Inn, while some of the strongest come from Inn 2016-17.

quote:

I have my own problems with the Guardian revamp, too, but it's not that the class is bad. It's not supposed to be stellar, Verly's design philosophy was for it to be a progression class, one you use until you can get your hands on something like Dragonlord, Necromancer, Technomancer, or the Atealans.

To be quite honest, I haven't played Guardian a lot since the revamp, but as far as I know, nothing significant about it became changed. I would interpret it as a class made ''to-cater-to-those-AQ-players-in-DF''. Verly's intentions might have been good and I don't doubt him, but the final product that results is just nothing special for anything that the game offers. Maybe, let's say, bounty hunting. And yes, those training requrements need to go. That's just silly (came from such a period of time in DF's history too, anyway). If a player never played DF and there's no war to go with, he'd have to play Endless Togs for 50 waves.

< Message edited by dragon_master -- 2/8/2021 13:06:19 >
DF  Post #: 29
2/8/2021 17:43:14   
Dratomos
Helpful!

quote:

If 5 potions and Pierogi weren't a thing that you can replenish after basically every AARGH or whatever challenge fight, then grinding for the weapon would've been worth it. It does something that other non-weapon items are doing better and basically for free as well. However, I am certain the Quadstaff got secretly nerfed because I could swear that weapon had MP regen as well. Still no reason for me (personally) to grind Warlic's Gift when BoA and the aforementioned items exist.

Quadstaff got actually buffed. Instead of healing 2.5 % of your mana, it heals 3/4 of your mana with each hit. It is a really good weapon for a class like DmK, UWE or EnTropy, which don't have way to heal mana back.

I really don't get why you dismiss weapons specials with Mana regen abilities so much. Having 5 potions is not that good, as they cost you a turn which can be vital on some duos. And Instant Pierogi doesn't solve that completely either, if you use that, you are locked of using Hero's Diet for 5 turns, which can also be bad. I myself have been saved many times (like in IE for example) just because I had a weapon which helped me regen mana.

quote:

Let's pretend I exaggerated. Well, 0.5 hour at minimum. Sinnocence is just Legion Crawler+. There is absolutely nothing fun about him. If you take something which is 70% on the defensive side (e.g. Necromancer) and without even 5 potions, and you have decent WIS (base ~60), the fight is already over. It simply takes an unnecessarily long amount of time to finish him. For a single Timewarped Medal.

You know you can skip those fights? I would understand your point if A.A.R.G.H. would always load the same opponent until you defeated him. But it doesn't. You aren't required to spend so much time on a fight if you don't want to.

Sure A.A.R.G.H. can be tedious. But it is supposed to. It gives the best silver weapon in the game and the highest dealing damage weapon too. And some nice cosmetics as well.

quote:

The extra potions/food/guests aren't what challenges are built around, and they're considered by the majority of high-end players to be pretty dishonorable tactics, but if they work for you they work for you.

But as for this, I have to agree with @dragon_master. This take is so odd. Why shouldn't players use every available resource they have? Dishonorable? Like what? Who actually cares how another player defeates the fight if they are using options the game offers? These challenges are supposed to be fun, not a contest which player can defeat them with the most difficulty. What's next? Using DM items is dishonorable tactics, well-fed dragon?
DF AQW  Post #: 30
2/8/2021 18:34:11   
AstralCodex

Going back to the original topic, namely this week's update:

quote:

I am personally very disappointed at DBE
Mainly because i feel that things like questing are not high bars that require such under tuning that kills the performance of other forms of player engagement, especially in a class like Epoch.

It feels less like a unique strategy and build for a epoch variant. And more of a hoopla round about version of either Base Epoch and Epoch Eternal

I agree that every class can quest, but I think it's super cool that we're getting an epoch that can be used for farming or questing. Every Epoch has really pretty animations, and it's a pity that we can't really get to see them in normal gameplay. Also, the design space of "extra turn bossing classes" seems to be already near exhausted, what with Eternal Epoch and UWE playing quite similarly. So it makes sense to try to branch out and try making a questing epoch!

That being said, it's not like DBE is *that* bad vs bosses. You start out the gate with 10 (!!) doubled turns thanks to Hack, but then peter out quickly. With the 2 turn +75 boost, this gives it similar out the gate damage to CDE, though far less concentrated.

Here's the bossing rotation that I've been using, with ice scythe procs you can do ~10k in 10 turns:
Hack + Blades
Boost + Boost
Boost + Ultra 
Slice + Blades
Combo + Combo
Overdrive + Combo
Hack + Gunburst
[Mash some combination of Combo and Blades for 3 more turns] 

This is enough to kill basically every story boss, and even a few inn bosses as well.

It's a far, far cry from the other epochs of course, including CDE or base Epoch, since you never can get another large burst of extra turns (let alone loop them like Eternal or Underworld Epoch). It especially suffers in Duo or Trio fights in the Inn, where you often kill one enemy but then just completely run out of steam for the other. But I think you can easily use DBE for both the mobs and the boss in normal story quests.

quote:

Also DBE is a calendar and CHW is not a calendar class and there are other non questing classes which can do just as fine as DBE in rapid hunts. or can they not? (I might be mistaken about this games over all performance)

I do think that a lot of DBE's issues in questing were due to high mana costs and long animations, especially on its multi. Verly has adjusted the multi animation to be significantly faster for multiple targets, and also greatly reduced the mana costs of Hack (60 -> 25) and Overdrive (50 -> 20). So I'd give it another try and see what it's like!

quote:

The way the class is now, i even think is somewhat fine honestly but the slice and DOT don't feel as nearly existent enough and the cool-down of the overdrive seems a bit unneedly long too

DoT is the same as the other Epochs. I agree that Slice is weaker, but the version of DBE with -45 Slice was truly a menace for bosses, even letting you kill Unraveler EX before you ran out of extra turns. You won't really use Slice anyways for questing, so it's the right thing to nerf in my opinion.

That being said, I agree that Overdrive could use a shorter CD, though this isn't important. I also agree that the current -15 all feels very insignificant. (Though I think this is intentional, as a way to discourage using it for bosses and encourage just using base Epoch instead. In which case, sure, I could see the argument for that.)

Finally, I wish the class's multi was just *slightly* larger, maybe 175% or 200%. This wouldn't make it better at bossing since you normally just want to mash combo, but it would help a lot with the chonkier mobs we see in recent quests.

< Message edited by AstralCodex -- 2/8/2021 19:08:23 >
DF  Post #: 31
2/8/2021 18:59:21   
Vikken101

I'll leave some of my updated thoughts about Dragonbyte Epoch after the weekend changes.

As I said previously, I was totally fine sacrificing Inn of Time viability for going hard in on questing. So I see the chargeburst animation being shortened as a really good thing. I do echo astral's thought above. that I think the slice change is fine for a questing class, though I do think chargeburst's damage should be buffed a tiny bit more. A strong argument for this is just playing through the Myalos quest, where multi fights all have over 1k health each(even with using the multi twice). Especially if its going to be a top-speed questing class.

Everything else about Dragonbyte I'm totally fine with(Hack mana change was really nice!)

< Message edited by Vikken101 -- 2/8/2021 19:21:32 >
Post #: 32
2/8/2021 19:19:38   
Marthe

I don't see what arguments over food usage have to do with this week's release, so I'm going to talk about Epoch.

I haven't gotten much of a chance to use UWE and CDE due to how busy I've been, so my feedback on those two is limited. That said, I have been keeping an eye on the changes and how other people have been performing on them, and it seems that they're overall in a good place. CDE especially, since it was in such an awkward place to use before.

Most of my Dragonfable time recently has been for using DBE. This latest round of changes has some really great stuff in it. The mana cost reduction on several of its skills go a long way to making it more viable for going through quests without running dry on mana, and I think everyone can agree that the fact that the multi no longer repeats for every enemy is absolutely amazing. I'm not sure if it's great at questing right now, but it's definitely very viable.

There are still some things that I think deserve to be changed. The nerf of Slice from -45 All at max to -15 was absolutely massive, and as it stands now the -15 feels like almost nothing. (For comparison, ChW has -20, which is a bit low on the scale, while Techno has -50, which is considered large). (Also shut up Astral I used it for questing :( ) The middle ground when it was -30 felt far more fair and comfortable to me. I think part of the issue is the long CD on the skill. Also, while the Hack skill looks amazing, the animation itself is objectively pretty slow for spamming on average mobs, though I'm not sure how viably that could be changed. Overdrive's current CD feels oddly high to me, probably because it shares the CD of Timeshift, despite being a completely different skill (though such a long CD might be intentional, which is fine too). Finally, I think it would be fair for the multi to increase in damage a bit more (maybe to 190%?) without causing issues, even though it's already increased in damage notably from base Epoch. This is because in modern quests, it's not uncommon to see bulky multi fights, while in bossing, it's very rare to click the multi button at all, because you almost certainly have something better to do.

On a more general note, I'd like to take a moment to talk about something I mentally term the "faceroll/suffer dichotomy" that burst classes often have against bosses. The name is indicative - either you have enough damage loaded into your strong turns to easily delete an HP bar and ignore mechanics, or you don't and you just suffer while trying to scrape the bottom of the barrel to finish the fight, which is not fun at all. Falling on the "faceroll" side is untenable for game balance, but falling on the "suffer" side is unfortunate for players' enjoyment. This isn't something new at all; in fact, I remember it being discussed way back when CDE was in testing. The issue is exacerbated by the fact that Dragonfable generally favors burst and aggressive strategies over defensive ones (though with the Direct Hit change, defensive classes are in a bit of a better spot), because it's always better to just end the fight. I'm not sure there's a good answer to this, and there's definitely not a singular good answer, but I think it's something to keep in mind, especially as we get another burst-oriented Epoch.
DF  Post #: 33
2/8/2021 19:28:49   
TFS
Helpful!

quote:

That being said, I agree that Overdrive could use a shorter CD

quote:

The middle ground when it was -30 felt far more fair and comfortable to me.

I really don't understand the logic behind these sentiments. It's literally been laid out that the class can deal 10,000 in 10 turns, enough to trounce basically every story boss as well as the majority of Inn bosses, even though you understand that it's supposed to be a farming class. And you want it to be able to do even more damage in long boss fights?! What?

quote:

Finally, I wish the class's multi was just *slightly* larger, maybe 175% or 200%. This wouldn't make it better at bossing since you normally just want to mash combo, but it would help a lot with the chonkier mobs we see in recent quests.

This is equally silly. The multi (165%) has no cooldown. And you start the battle with two sets of double turns. That's a 330% damage multi. That's more than DoomKnight (280%, if and only if you're level capped). DOOMKNIGHT. And you can just do the same thing again on the second turn should the monsters still be alive, because, again, it has no cooldown. And even outside of the multi, you're still doing more single-target immediate damage than DoomKnight (compare Hack's 285% autocrit WITH AN EXTRA TURN to DoomKnight's 280% autocrit) with lower MP costs and no potential HP recoil. It already has better turn 1 (and 2) damage and mana management than DoomKnight, and you want it to do even more?! What?

I feel like Chaosweaver has set a really silly standard where the expectation is just that classes can vomit out insane damage while also being insanely good at farming, without taking into account any of the class's other properties. I legitimately cannot think of any other explanation for comments like these, as apparently being better at immediate damage than DoomKnight of all things, while also still being insanely good versus bosses because it still has Epoch's Boost/Hex kit, isn't enough.
I legitimately think DBE is more than fine where it is right now, and that it's way more potent in longer fights than it's probably supposed to be. Ultra Defense/Health boost still give it insane survivability for a class that's very clearly supposed to be oriented towards frontloaded burst. I feel like the comments above are just trying to make another Chaosweaver, while forgetting that this class is NOT Chaosweaver (again, survivability) nor is it likely intended to be.

< Message edited by TFS -- 2/8/2021 19:41:28 >
DF  Post #: 34
2/8/2021 20:29:36   
aryc0110

Dragon Master:
quote:

Pretty sure there is no set way. Again, subjective. And no, I didn't interpret it as ''telling me how to play''.

Once again, this is not "how you have to play it". This is the bar the challenges are balanced around. The design philosophy. What you're able to do and how you're able to do it, at a baseline.

quote:

What does this even mean, lol? Is this something you personally came up with as a strawman?

I'll address this in PMs, as discussing where a lot of DF players go might actually breach forum rules.

quote:

That is purely objective - it just doesn't. If 5 potions and Pierogi weren't a thing that you can replenish after basically every AARGH or whatever challenge fight, then grinding for the weapon would've been worth it. It does something that other non-weapon items are doing better and basically for free as well. However, I am certain the Quadstaff got secretly nerfed because I could swear that weapon had MP regen as well. Still no reason for me (personally) to grind Warlic's Gift when BoA and the aforementioned items exist.
Don't see how they are ''crutches'' (if such a term even exists in a game such as DF), they are simply tools that you can acquire for free. Not using them is just making your life harder for the sake of challenge. Neither productive nor fun in my book.

By the nature of the debate we're having over bringing extra potions and pierogi at all this is subjective. Blade of Awe has half of Warlic's Gift's mana regen, which makes it fantastic if you need both your health and mana back in slight amounts, but not great when the sustain it provides isn't enough to keep your skills going. You say that food is "basically free" when you're spending as many as 3 DMs per fight, though likely 2 because you can get Pierogi for gold if you stop by while getting your extra potions. With how many medals you need for the AARGH gear that's probably going to cost you around 50 DMs if you're using it as frequently as it sounds like you are. That's 50 whole waves in a war with DMs you could be spending on upgrading gear. Unless of course you get them all from their original sources, in which case I envy your tolerance for tedium. What makes my life harder is going to Ruby or the Sunken Fortress every time I want to attempt a challenge.

You say it's not productive or fun, I say that the point of the Inn is to become more skilled at the game and doing so without a safety net so tried and tested that I'm basically guaranteed a victory in every fight I enter is the only way to develop any real skill or have any fun with a fight at all. At a certain point the average fight becomes similar to grinding trash mobs for Unlucky Doom Essences, with the only exception being that you hit more buttons.

quote:

All (except calendar and rare) classes, depending on which I want to play at that time.
Pyro,enTropy,Kathool,sometimes Ancient Exosuit, Ascendant, Technomancer... etc.

Pyromancer and Technomancer are pretty good classes to pick for A.A.R.G.H. as they have solid burst and are generally very good classes for the Inn. Chaosweaver and Doomknight are usually the standard picks for AARGH farming, but it sounds like you just play it to have fun and not to grind it anyway so that doesn't really matter. I like doing A.A.R.G.H. this way too, for the record, and I'm not really a fan of just farming fights because it becomes really boring really fast. Ascendant is kinda iffy, as the class has been largely considered the worst of the Atealans, but it's still pretty solid if you know what you're doing, though it probably answers where that food and those potions are going considering it's a class whose strict rotations don't allow for good multi-hits and it has some questionable defensive options and a massive 5-turn setup time. EnTropy runs into a rather unique issue of a good amount of fights in A.A.R.G.H. resisting the Darkness element, so it's probably not the best to be throwing in at randomized challenges, but against specific challenges it's a beast and rather on-par with Ascendant's damage output. Do watch out for those mana costs, though. Kathool is really strong, but also very simple, like playing a class from early AQW with four skills that don't really interact very much. A lot, and I do mean a lot of people find it very, very boring. The playstyle wouldn't be so bad to me personally if the animations were anywhere near the modern standard, but the most important button you press has a slowly increasing PNG of Kathool with a fading in-and-out black screen. However, if you find it fun, power to you! It'll get you through almost any challenge at a walking pace. Ancient Exosuit, however, is a crawl and I really cannot recommend you stop using it for A.A.R.G.H. more if you want fights to be done in a timely manner like you seem to.
Since you added "etc...", time for a lightning round of highlights!
Dragonlord: Please do not use PDL on A.A.R.G.H., the setup time is literally 51 turns, go watch paint dry instead. Go ahead and use RDL if you can get it to work, though! Sounds like fun!
Ranger: A really, very, super solid class. Remember to keep your DEX and STR about equal while using it, its passive gives you a +15% damage boost if you do and the skills are Melee/Pierce locked anyway so you'll be doing nearly no damage unless you do.
Paladin: Oh God please no I have things to do at some point in the next decade
Necromancer: A really, super solid Inn class if played properly. Tanky and with a bit of burst to boot. It'd be good for "fun A.A.R.G.H." but I'm not too terribly familiar with the class myself, just the reviews, so I don't know how it'd do for grinding it.
Deathknight: Just wait for the update like the rest of us, please...
Dragonslayer: If you want to reset on every fight until you run into the dragon challenges? Go for it! Otherwise, this is literally worse than Base Warrior. I've tested both.
Soulweaver, with the Baltael's Aventail artifact: Really solid, runs into Kathool Adept's boring rotation problem, but it has some variety in that the optimal way to play is not to mash the attack button until one of your relevant skills is up again.
Master Soulweaver: Please play Baltael's Soulweaver instead.
The Entire Seasonal Roster: Evolved Pumpkin Lord is the only worthwhile class to play on this entire list, and even then it's not terribly great unless you can stun your enemies. Don't bring any of these into A.A.R.G.H.
The Chickencows: Base Chickencow is actually the best of these because you can use Mad Chickencow Attack over and over again and slot different on-hit weapon specials and, if played smart, beat a lot more challenges than you should realistically be able to, while the others just don't have enough usable skills to make up for it, with ACCL just being flat-out bad. A.A.R.G.H. farming? No. A.A.R.G.H. for fun? Go for it.
Doomknight: This is one of the big boys! Whittling down your opponent a little while your Inner Darkness charges up, clicking favor when it's about to be ready, and unleashing a terrifyingly powerful nuke will dust the majority of the old A.A.R.G.H. roster.
Chaosweaver: Is it really a surprise that this is the most recommended class? The thing hits like a truck, and as long as you can trial and error an order of skills for the fights you come across and are well-geared you can deal with the majority of them in less than 8 turns.
GPS: Don't use this class anywhere. Ever. I speak from experience.

quote:

Okay let's assume I misjudged the Emperor. He is easy indeed, and that is what makes him boring. He simply has a lot of HP and does a typical ''set-you-up-for-a-nuke-that-you-can-easily-defend'' attack rotation. He's not fun in anyway and should be simply absent from AARGH. His only point in the game is to grind Unraveler Wings, as far as I remember.

Not every fight is going to be interesting in A.A.R.G.H. as they were pretty much all of the challenges, save for a few notable exceptions like some currently ongoing boards and Pride, who is specifically excluded because she can become unwinnable with enough Superior Superiority. Also, Sea Chicken Emperor drops Sea Chicken's Conquest, the best Wind weapon in the entire game and the best weapon to equip when using a class' innate heal.

quote:

And no, I specifically mean endurance fights. Don't know (or care) about Illumina, rewards from those challenges are some of the weakest in the Inn, while some of the strongest come from Inn 2016-17.

I actually have a lot of fun with Sinnocence, he's one of my favorite early challenges because he's a different kind of endurance fight, where you can see yourself becoming more effective as time goes on and you can use class tools like stuns to kill him faster. I'd done the fight thirteen times on release with different classes. In A.A.R.G.H. however, he's just a relog. The solution to endurance fights in A.A.R.G.H., by the way, is exactly that. If you don't want to fight them you have to relog. Though that might make getting your extra potions and food a little annoying and less cost-effective.
Illumina is in A.A.R.G.H., so she's relevant to the discussion even if you haven't done the Conduit. Although, the highest base-stat trinket is from that board, so I recommend doing Crystal and Stone for the Ricterild trinket if nothing else.
I disagree with the notion that the strongest rewards come from 2016-17. The best Inn necklace, ring, damaging weapon, and overall cape came in 2018, the best overall weapon and healing cape in 2019, and the best helmet in 2020.

quote:

To be quite honest, I haven't played Guardian a lot since the revamp, but as far as I know, nothing significant about it became changed. I would interpret it as a class made ''to-cater-to-those-AQ-players-in-DF''. Verly's intentions might have been good and I don't doubt him, but the final product that results is just nothing special for anything that the game offers. Maybe, let's say, bounty hunting. And yes, those training requrements need to go. That's just silly (came from such a period of time in DF's history too, anyway). If a player never played DF and there's no war to go with, he'd have to play Endless Togs for 50 waves.

The class was absolutely changed a bunch. Guardian rage weakness seeks, Guardian Dragon has an effect based on the enemy's HP, the heal and mana regen are more significant, its overall damage is buffed, and it has a passive that imbues your basic attack so that it's a good idea to use it inbetween abilities. It's much better than it was, it's just not very potent by today's standards. It's also much less of a lure for AQC players as it ties in more heavily with DF lore for Guardians now.

Dratomos:
quote:

But as for this, I have to agree with @dragon_master. This take is so odd. Why shouldn't players use every available resource they have? Dishonorable? Like what? Who actually cares how another player defeates the fight if they are using options the game offers? These challenges are supposed to be fun, not a contest which player can defeat them with the most difficulty. What's next? Using DM items is dishonorable tactics, well-fed dragon?

Dishonorable is very likely not the right word, but they're pretty heavily frowned upon and there have been calls for an increased timer on Hardtack and Seaweed's stuffed debuff. Potions are usually seen as better because they at least require a turn to use.

Some available resources are contested as to whether or not they should be available in the first place. Hardtack and Seaweed are on this list, much lower than guests or now-fixed weapon specials.

To give an example: it was generally a pretty frowned upon tactic to use Vanilla Ice Katana, Frozen Claymore, or the Hamster weapons' specials before they were changed and it was a constant topic of discussion as to how powerful they actually were. Instakill skill procs were a contested topic as well, being essentially a way to go into a fight and hit the same button, relog, and repeat until you got the 1% chance to just outright kill your opponent. Guests are much the same way, and Verly himself views them as something to make the game easier for less skilled players and had them banned from PanEX because of the problems they caused. A lot of people want to see them outright banned from the Inn in general, and I'm among them because I don't really like the idea of slapping some RNG and bugs into a fight in order to beat it more easily. Guests are poorly balanced, they're supposed to make the fight just as difficult with or without them, that's why they add +60% damage to your enemy's damage, but they don't do that and can be used to cheese enemies and ignore their mechanics entirely.

To both: I don't think I've stated my actual opinions on extra potions and food clearly enough, and haven't stressed enough that I've been talking about community opinion and how the game is designed, not necessarily to be played, but to be able to be played, and that under these conditions regen weapons for both mana and health actually end up being really useful. I don't necessarily think that these need to be nerfed, I think they make for a decent safety net (crutch) for less skilled players and that's fine by me, I just won't be using them unless I absolutely have to. Despite the game not being designed around their use they don't fundamentally break it so hard that I want them outright removed, although I'd be fine with the stuffed debuff being adjusted. They're no Hamstorm, no instakill, no guests making fights trivial and irrelevant with the right bug or RNG, and they have some use even for players of decent skill level, such as bringing them into Inevitable Equilibrium or Pandora's Extreme fight.
Post #: 35
2/8/2021 23:03:30   
asgaron

I Feel there is still room for example we could of had an epoch that was based around patience maybe for example if you act fast you get your immediate damage but heavy draw back

but if you wait a bit and use the other tools you get the same buff for longer wont be as as high but comparitivly high and sustainable

or we could of had an epoch that based its strength of buffs like only when in maximum buff and enemy debuff the dmg comes out and if you do moves in a certain order you can increase there duration and if you are really good you can loop said duration increases gimmicks
Post #: 36
2/9/2021 21:37:08   
AstralCodex

Well, moving back to the original DBE topic...

In the past few days, I've spent a lot of time doing various quests and bosses with DBE. I redid the Proc War quests, redid all of Maleurous, ground through the later few quests in True Mortal, and did two runs of Zeclem's Keep for good measure. I also watched two lower-levelled players use it on stream for story fights and grinding for levels/gear.

I'll start by saying that DBE is indeed an incredibly pretty class, and feels like a breath of fresh air to play due to its immediate double turns and flashy animations. I definitely think DBE is a good questing class, though there are still some small improvements that could be made.

Two additional issues stand out for questing in particular:
- Chargeburst killing enemies ending your turn. As with other epochs, killing an enemy ends your turn. This is definitely a good thing for single enemies - after all, you wouldn't want to have to click another button after Hacking a single monster to death - but can be awkward for multis. It'd often be the case that I'd face enemies that live if I don't crit on a single Chargeburst but dies if I do, and then an unlucky crit on the last target would leave two enemies alive. I'm not sure how tractable this is to fix, as this is a problem that all Epochs have, but it would be nice if this was fixed.
- Hack has a rather long animation. While Hack is really pretty, the animation time on the attack is quite long. This added up while doing many quests in a row, and definitely discourages using the class for farming.

As Vikken mentioned above, there's also the issue of two chargebursts not being able to kill some multi mobs without two crits in a row in a few quests - notably Zeclem's Keep, Remnants at Rest/Myalos, some of the beefier mobs in Royal Resistance, and basically all of later True Mortal. However, I don't think this was nearly as noticeable as the "killing enemies ending your turn" issue, and it seems to be mainly confined to a few more recent quests (+True Mortal). So while a 175% or 200% damage Chargeburst would be nice, it probably isn't necessary.

I think it would help concentrate further feedback if we were to get more guidance on what Verly/Dove are aiming for when they say "questing class". Is it intended to be a fast farming class like RDL, Cryptic, Dread Pirate, etc? Or is it just supposed to be able to handle mobs decently, while also having enough burst over 5-6 turns to deal with story bosses?

EDIT: @asgaron

quote:

I Feel there is still room for example we could of had an epoch that was based around patience maybe for example if you act fast you get your immediate damage but heavy draw back

Yeah, both CDE, UWE, and now DBE have some variant of this - you get a lot of power early, but you either run out of double turns (CDE/DBE) or you start incurring stacking debuffs (UWE). EE is the opposite - you basically need to face tank your enemies for 6-7 turns before becoming immensely powerful for the rest of the fight.

EDIT 2: I just realized, one way of addressing the Chargeburst issue above is to increase the size of the Chargeburst (perhaps to 200%), while adding 1 CD to the move. This also address's TFS's concern that the multi potential is too strong, since you can't spam 2 chargebursts on t1 anymore.

< Message edited by AstralCodex -- 2/10/2021 13:29:33 >
DF  Post #: 37
2/10/2021 20:52:56   
asgaron

Maybe we could absorb extra tuns for charge like base 75 and then absorb 1 turn to 100 then 2 for 125 3 for 150 and 4 for 200

< Message edited by asgaron -- 2/10/2021 20:54:16 >
Post #: 38
2/10/2021 21:58:59   
aryc0110

quote:

- Chargeburst killing enemies ending your turn. As with other epochs, killing an enemy ends your turn. This is definitely a good thing for single enemies - after all, you wouldn't want to have to click another button after Hacking a single monster to death - but can be awkward for multis. It'd often be the case that I'd face enemies that live if I don't crit on a single Chargeburst but dies if I do, and then an unlucky crit on the last target would leave two enemies alive. I'm not sure how tractable this is to fix, as this is a problem that all Epochs have, but it would be nice if this was fixed.

This is the last remaining major issue with DBE questing, yeah. I'd like it if Hack's animation were faster, but it's workable. Honestly I feel like double turns ending when you kill an enemy unless all enemies are dead is something that'd be nice to have fixed overall, but it might be tough.

quote:

Maybe we could absorb extra tuns for charge like base 75 and then absorb 1 turn to 100 then 2 for 125 3 for 150 and 4 for 200

DBE doesn't need more tools or to be stronger. The most it needs is to have slight animation adjustments and to have the double turn ending problem resolved. It does the job it was designed for rather well but not better than Chaosweaver, which should be the leading class in farming because it'll never go rare. DBE is also potent enough to deal with Inn fights in its own way, just not as well as a premium class specifically designed for bossing.

Its numbers are fine where they are.
Post #: 39
2/11/2021 4:57:57   
Dratomos
Helpful!

quote:

Dishonorable is very likely not the right word, but they're pretty heavily frowned upon and there have been calls for an increased timer on Hardtack and Seaweed's stuffed debuff. Potions are usually seen as better because they at least require a turn to use.

Some available resources are contested as to whether or not they should be available in the first place. Hardtack and Seaweed are on this list, much lower than guests or now-fixed weapon specials.

To give an example: it was generally a pretty frowned upon tactic to use Vanilla Ice Katana, Frozen Claymore, or the Hamster weapons' specials before they were changed and it was a constant topic of discussion as to how powerful they actually were. Instakill skill procs were a contested topic as well, being essentially a way to go into a fight and hit the same button, relog, and repeat until you got the 1% chance to just outright kill your opponent. Guests are much the same way, and Verly himself views them as something to make the game easier for less skilled players and had them banned from PanEX because of the problems they caused. A lot of people want to see them outright banned from the Inn in general, and I'm among them because I don't really like the idea of slapping some RNG and bugs into a fight in order to beat it more easily. Guests are poorly balanced, they're supposed to make the fight just as difficult with or without them, that's why they add +60% damage to your enemy's damage, but they don't do that and can be used to cheese enemies and ignore their mechanics entirely.

To both: I don't think I've stated my actual opinions on extra potions and food clearly enough, and haven't stressed enough that I've been talking about community opinion and how the game is designed, not necessarily to be played, but to be able to be played, and that under these conditions regen weapons for both mana and health actually end up being really useful. I don't necessarily think that these need to be nerfed, I think they make for a decent safety net (crutch) for less skilled players and that's fine by me, I just won't be using them unless I absolutely have to. Despite the game not being designed around their use they don't fundamentally break it so hard that I want them outright removed, although I'd be fine with the stuffed debuff being adjusted. They're no Hamstorm, no instakill, no guests making fights trivial and irrelevant with the right bug or RNG, and they have some use even for players of decent skill level, such as bringing them into Inevitable Equilibrium or Pandora's Extreme fight.

I still don't know what are you on about. We weren't talking about weapon specials or guests so those examples are pretty poor as you can't really compare them to Hero's diet, since it's not an instant win nor does it make the fight much easier or rely on RNG. We were only talking about Hero's diet which doesn't need any change as not every player is as good as you and can has access to DmK, Epoch, many DC classes etc. Hero's diet is not an instant win so I don't get why it's so "frowned on". You are here talking about "community opinion" and defending it vividly, but it's an opinion and doesn't make it any more worthy, even if you slap the word "community" on it. Are all players agreeing on that "community opinion", or just lvl 90 players who have DmK, most of the calendar and DC classes, Rare and DM items? That kind of behavior is not welcoming to new players if immediately when they tell how they defeated a challenging fight for them, the "community's" opinion is to diss them because they dared to use a resource that game offers that the expert and veteran players don't need.

As for DBE, I've seen some of it's animations and while they are long, they are looking great. DBE is one of the best-looking classes in game and I can't wait to test it myself.
DF AQW  Post #: 40
2/12/2021 6:38:03   
asgaron

I dont know about that one chief does the DOT even work as intended is it not supposed to scale? feeling like the one moment when SWOT had DOT then was removed

why not make it a boost reset mechanic instead of a DOT
Post #: 41
2/12/2021 18:54:45   
Kurtz96

Have there been any changed to DBE or any planned to be rolled out with this week's release? I am going to use DBE for this week's release and would like to know.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 42
2/12/2021 21:11:37   
AstralCodex

Nothing has been announced. As far as I can tell there have been no changes since the slice to -15 thing.
DF  Post #: 43
2/14/2021 15:25:41   
TFS
Helpful!

After playing with DragonByte Epoch a bit more, I've got a couple more thoughts on it.

First and foremost is that DBE's access to the original Epoch Boost/Hex kit makes it way tankier than it, as a front-loaded burst class, is probably supposed to be. Most notably of course is (Ultra) Aim Hex, a strong and long-lasting blind on its own that can also be layered with Defense Boost. Defense Boost may not seem much on its own, but its +40 MPM effect, when combined with the base ~50 MPM you have from normal level 90 gear and the -50 BtH from Ultra Aim Hex versus a normal Level 90 boss monster with ~20 BtH gives you about an 80% chance of completely evading your opponent's attacks (or an effective ~80% damage mitigation versus an opponent that spams hits) - for seven turns. It's also worth noting that you can simply loop Defense Boost by forgoing the use of Aim/Health Boost (the cooldown does not take effect until you've used up all of your boosts) - which with normal gear is still enough MPM to evade about half of the attacks thrown at you, permanently.
Now, this isn't as much of an issue on base Epoch, as it'll have to forgo attacking in order to sustain this and will therefore eventually get worn down, but because DBE's damage output is both independent of its momentum charge and has a much higher upper-bound potential thanks to Overdrive, you'll be able to destroy most 11k HP targets in about 5 turns, before they can even get a chance to hit through all your stuff, negating the restriction placed upon the original Epoch skill set. The summation of tankiness plus massive burst almost feels unfair!
I think if (Ultra) Aim Hex was removed or weakened, and if Epoch Boost was rearranged for DBE so that Defense Boost would be the last one cast (and therefore have a cooldown) that would solve the issue, as long as Health Boost is accounted for (or just removed as it's already an unnecessary cherry on the top of this class's tankiness).

The other thought I have on DBE is extremely minor, but Slice has the same effect at 0 and 1 momentum, -5 All resistance, making the 1 Momentum use have no effective purpose. This of course isn't relevant as you're never using Slice at 1 Momentum anyway, but thought it was worth mention as it's likely an oversight.
DF  Post #: 44
2/18/2021 19:50:02   
The ErosionSeeker
*insert cheesy pun here*

Hope I'm not too late for Epoch thoughts:
-It's still kind of a pain that double turns aren't declared until the popup when you actually use them. I don't know how complex it would be, but I feel everyone would like if your double turns counter was displayed, possibly as a number on your momentum bar. Clicking the momentum bar already tells you momentum, it would be a nice QoL change if it also told you how many double turns you had left, especially now that Trinkets/potions/attack specials seem to inconsistently remove extra turns.
-Chargeburst is 175% on DBE, but 140% on the others. Would be nice if it got bumped up a little on CDE, which is also more of a burster than a grinder.
DF AQW  Post #: 45
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: =DF= February 5th Design Notes: Arena at the Edge of Time: Teacher and Student
Page 2 of 2<12
Jump to:

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition