Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=DF= March 12th & 19th Design Notes: The Maleurous

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> =DF= March 12th & 19th Design Notes: The Maleurous
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3/12/2021 20:33:52   
  Peachii
Clairvoyant!

quote:

Verlyrus:
The Maleurous: Revelation

Hey there, heroes!

You've all surpassed the 50% mark of the war, unlocking Rocket Turrets and a new quest!

With Myalos still preparing to power up, you and Uaanta have fought back the elementals and creatures, making your way to the surface!

But what awaits you outside?

It's time to learn more about the Maleurous and what they stand for. And who they stand against.

Check out the war's 50% quest: Revelation!

Note: Trapped post-Revelation waves have each had a monster removed.

Also this week, some bug fixes!
  • Fixed a bug where the quest Into the Void would change player name to undefined.
  • Removed an extra invisible button from the Badges interface.
  • Fixed various Ghoulidays war town buttons being locked to active war progress.
  • Fixed some Black Winter elements being locked to active war progress.
  • Fixed the Assault on the Necropolis war graphic being tied to active war progress.
  • Fixed the Battleon Burns percent and wave count not properly displaying numbers.
  • The fix for Sek Duat's skills in the quest "Sands of Eternity" is now actually live.
  • Fixed a bug where certain Void Spawn enemies would apply undefined damage DoT effects.
  • Fixed a bug where the Seaweed Entangled Links applied undefined resistance.
  • Scaling on enemies in "Sir Jing's Weapons" has been reduced significantly.

Having trouble with any fights? Have feedback about recent releases? Have any crazy theories or ideas? Want to discuss all things DragonFable?

Join the discussion on the official forums!

Want to play DragonFable without using an internet browser?

Check out the Artix Games Launcher!

Follow us on Twitter for sneak peeks and updates (and feel free to tweet us your fan art and feedback too!)

Verlyrus Twitter

Tomix Twitter

Tags: Verlyrus

quote:

Verlyrus:
The Maleurous: Reactivation

Hey there, heroes!

This week, we return to the Maleurous saga!

Last time, under orders from the Avatars, you and Uaanta managed to save Myalos from the clutches of the other Maleurous with aid from the enigmatic Lock and Key.

However, when your job was finished, you were summoned once more by the Avatars- this time with some unexpected guests!

The plots of the remaining Maleurous are in motion, so prepare for war with this week's release: Reactivation!

Also, we have a number of bug fixes this week.
  • Fixed an issue where DoomKnight V1 guests or PvP enemies were causing instant defeat.
  • Fixed an issue where Sinnocence (all versions) would recognize non-weapons as Destiny or Doom weapons.
  • Fixed a bug where Valtrith (should be all versions) would ignore Immobility resistance.
  • Fixed a bug where the final enemy in Yashta's Pellow Village random quest was named "Really Dirty Uniform".
  • The Tomix guest should now be properly removed from "Adrift" and "Origins of Aspar" when completing the quests.
  • The Void War quest "Through the Door", as well as the above two quests are now teleport locked.
  • Fixed missing characters in the quest description and completion of "Adrift".
  • Fixed "Murky Hall" not renaming the player to "Vaal".
  • Fixed an issue where Sek Duat in "Sands of Eternity" would apply undefined resistance to his target, rather than +25 resistance to himself of your dragon's element.
  • Fixed a bug where the belt "Seaweed Entangled Links" gave undefined resistance.
Tada!

Having trouble with any fights? Have feedback about recent releases? Have any crazy theories or ideas? Want to discuss all things DragonFable?

Join the discussion on the official forums!

Want to play DragonFable without using an internet browser?

Check out the Artix Games Launcher!

Follow us on Twitter for sneak peeks and updates (and feel free to tweet us your fan art and feedback too!)

Verlyrus Twitter

Tomix Twitter

Tags: Verlyrus

quote:

On Official War Threads:

War threads are not to debate what is strong or weak, good or evil. They are for people to discuss the war, rally together and encourage each other while battling war waves. That is the ONLY thing they are for. You can discuss war strategy for current and past wars in DF but do not argue the merits of real life wars or any wars, discussions of those particular topics will be considered spam.

Mild role-playing is allowed in official war threads (such RPing isn't permitted anywhere else in DFGD) but it does not give license to troll, flame or break any other rules. If you'd like to roleplay, please visit our Role Playing forum, read the specific rules and enjoy the action!

Short poems/songs/war cries (with a maximum length of 7 lines) are welcome in war threads (and nowhere else in DFGD). Do not only post your poetry, songs, short stories and war cries - participate in the discussion as well, within the same post.
Longer written works about a war belong in L&L Forum's "War Stories and Poetry" thread, although you may provide a link to your literature within your post.
Same goes for links to songs you listen to while fighting war waves. If you want to link any youtube videos for other players to listen to while warring, it must be able to meet the AE Forum requirements which is PG. This includes the content of the video along with any comments of other listeners. To do this, simply use quietube. Here's how:
  • Link " http://quietube7.com/v.php/ " before the URL of the video you want to link.

• < Message edited by Peachii -- 3/19/2021 18:51:46 >
    DF AQW  Post #: 1
    3/13/2021 2:55:07   
    Vaalirus

War!

spoiler:

Alright, after giving this some thought I'm like 99% sure this first/final Maleurous has some connection with the Exaltia. Originally when they first appeared I knew I recognized that black and white color effect from them using their power to attempt to open Myalos' door and teleport away but I couldn't tell from where else I could have seen it until I realized later the Engineer from the Apex produced a similar color effect from its weapon during its ultimate attack. Now those are just simple color similarities and at the time I thought they could have just been a pure coincidence until this Maleurous, who I'm just going to call Jifa for clarity until we get their full name, started sending us their minions.

We have chained incomplete abominations and chained elementals, the latter of which would give Zadd a run for his money. The deformed creations are clearly reminiscent of Augahim's design, the creatures that are present on the second level of the Exaltia tower. That could serve as a connection that Jifa could have something to do with the Infernals and Celestials although I have to wonder if they are related to the beings of the tower or if their powers are a result of the utilizing research they've done on the Exalted.

What I find concerning however are the chained elementals. I didn't realize at it first but on closer inspection, it's noticeable that the gems that are present on all pure elementals have those golden shackles put around them specifically and on some of them the gems have been moved completely somewhere else on their bodies as opposed to being normally on their heads. This has made me curious now as to why these gems are always present normally on all elementals, which makes me speculate that the gems are in some way akin to a brain that allows them to exist, and why did Jifa feel the need in some cases to move the gem on some of the elementals and not others.

I'm also sad for Myalos. They only just now got free from the shadowscythe's infection and gained the possibility of perhaps not having to be bound to the ruins of the mech vessel and now they have to sacrifice themselves so that they aren't used. Hopefully, Lock and Key can find a way to save them.

Additionally, I'm becoming somewhat skeptical of Lock's and Key's purpose to free the Avatars from their responsibilities. In itself, allowing the world to find balance on its own without the Avatars meddling seems fine but it almost sounds like they want them to abandon their work completely though I could be getting mixed up with Avatars constant state of distress and confsuion.
    DF  Post #: 2
    3/13/2021 4:07:15   
    Kyros123

@Vaalirus

If I recall it was confirmed in a devs FAQ that elementals need to bind them to a "focus" in order to exist the physical realm/outside of the Elemental Planes. Just as the Mysterious Stranger needed to bind himself to his cloak and later the SMUDD, the "garden variety" elemental seems to use those gems as their focus. When a elemental is defeated it's not actually killed but banished back to the Elemental Planes in weakened state and needs time to coalesce and regain their power before they can manifest again (Think of them kind of like Daemons from Warhammer 40K). Upon defeat a elementals drops it's focus gem (those this isn't actually shown in game most likely due to animation limitations). Proof of this can be been in the Calamity saga where Caitiff finds a fire elementals gem. While the gem isn't exactly the brain there is a mental link as Caitiff was able to look into the fire elementals memories by using some kind of magic on the gem.

spoiler:

As for the difference in focus gems on the chained elementals, my personal theory is that the Exalted created them and used them to enslave elementals, similar to how a necromancer enslaves the undead by binding the persons spirit to their deceased body/bones.
    Post #: 3
    3/13/2021 5:01:18   
    Dratomos
    Helpful!

I didn't expect a war. That first cutscene was very well done! And I love the music this war has.

And @Vaalirus

spoiler:

I agree with you completely. That first Malerious seems to have connection to the Exalted.

And my theory is that they are the Engineer/the one who wrote "Last Stand of Ehr'Ishin". Didn't they activate the weapon to stop the Avatars? And after that encouter, it would make sense to label them as the "first Maleurous", if they survived using that weapon.

< Message edited by Dratomos -- 3/13/2021 6:47:01 >
    DF AQW  Post #: 4
    3/13/2021 7:17:30   
    Flabagast

Friday the 12th returns! Let's kick some Maleurous booty!

spoiler:

@Vaalirus An excellent theory. This Malerous' forces (and perhaps their power) must certainly be due to research and experimentation of the works of the Exalted. Hopefully I'll hit a rare wave soon and see what I can learn from that...

As for villian themselves... I was surprised when I heard that laughter. It sounded quite human; feminine even? That fourth wall break was good too.

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure those gems the elementals are wearing are the same as what those constructs in that Tower wore.

< Message edited by Flabagast -- 3/13/2021 7:38:00 >
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 5
    3/13/2021 9:57:53   
    ChronoEye

A very awesome release at it.

spoiler:

So, the Final Malerous is about to make a move, but makes me wonder, what could they be planning? Would this be just a beginning of everything? Nonetheless, Lock & Key got to assist us by the grace of the Avatars, which makes it even better. I like this duo, they would make up to be very useful allies for even the future, as well, if they're allowed to stay alive.

Anyways, to the war field! The music of the introduction as well as the hub seemingly is something new, or at least to myself. And I'm loving it! The music of Wolfwing were already a perfect pick, and now this - here's to awesome times ahead!
    Post #: 6
    3/14/2021 17:30:40   
    Chaosweaver Amon
    Friendly!

Ooh, we're down to the final Maleurous, I love that. Especially when there's a war involved.
    spoiler:

Loving these Exaltia theories too...and diversity among elementals.
    Welp *cracks knuckles*, to the battlefield!

Oh, by the way, here's some War Music I find motivating if anyone would like some.
    DF  Post #: 7
    3/14/2021 17:33:22   
    OpWalkure

BattleOn!
    My Theory:
    spoiler:

I think Lock and Key tricked us, so when we left them with Avatars, they somehow (chains and stuff) enslaved and using Avatars to send elementals to us or when Remthalas and Final/First Maleurous have beaten them, they changed them to control them. Avatars didn't realize they were Maleurous until they reformed their bodies. Before that Avatars weren't able to sense Lock and Key. So they might be deviants now.

Also i missed some wars, don't we have those awesome people who are posting WPM anymore?
    DF  Post #: 8
    3/14/2021 18:52:59   
    AstralCodex

@OpWalkure

Oh, most of the moment-to-moment war activity has moved to Discord these days.

Here's the latest hourly update from Discord:

quote:

Top of the hour wave count
    We have cleared 980,685 waves since the war started, and 24,175 waves since the last update around 1 hour ago.
    Our current speed is 403 wpm, which is 51 wpm faster than the last update.
    At this speed, it will take us 1 week, 1 day, 15 hours, 34 minutes, 53 seconds to defeat the remaining 5,019,315 waves.

We are currently at 16.34%. At our current speed, we will reach 17% in 1 hour, 37 minutes, 33 seconds

Our highest recorded speed for this war is 462 wpm.
    DF  Post #: 9
    3/15/2021 10:15:11   
    mahasamatman

Do you think we'll find an alternative way to
    spoiler:

power Myalos? Kordana was kept powered with the Wind Orb, and later awoken with gnomish help during the Calamity saga.

There are definitely power sources on Lore capable of powering shadowscythe machinery, other interstellar vessels, etc.
    DF  Post #: 10
    3/15/2021 22:50:52   
    Vaalirus

quote:

If I recall it was confirmed in a devs FAQ that elementals need to bind them to a "focus" in order to exist the physical realm/outside of the Elemental Planes. Just as the Mysterious Stranger needed to bind himself to his cloak and later the SMUDD, the "garden variety" elemental seems to use those gems as their focus. When a elemental is defeated it's not actually killed but banished back to the Elemental Planes in weakened state and needs time to coalesce and regain their power before they can manifest again

That makes sense as it would be kind of silly if elementals couldn't bind themselves to objects to manifest like light and dark spirits. Although I'm not sure if it's amusing or concerning that it's a possibility that we can send an elemental packing back to its own plane only for it to remember us and come back later.

quote:

As for the difference in focus gems on the chained elementals, my personal theory is that the Exalted created them and used them to enslave elementals, similar to how a necromancer enslaves the undead by binding the persons spirit to their deceased body/bones.

I have to agree with this considering we saw the exact same kind of magical chains on them that were used on the Augahim which makes me wonder in turn just how many elementals have been enslaved by the Exalted if not potentially all of them at one point?

quote:

And my theory is that they are the Engineer/the one who wrote "Last Stand of Ehr'Ishin". Didn't they activate the weapon to stop the Avatars? And after that encouter, it would make sense to label them as the "first Maleurous", if they survived using that weapon.

You know I didn't really think about that but the Engineer being the first Maleurous would make a degree of sense. As mentioned, they are the only other entity that have a similar power effect however the Engineer required their weapon in order to discharge that kind of power. Although it might be possible that the destruction that was caused by the weapon had an alternate effect on the Engineer that not only allowed them to use its power in smaller ways. That or the Engineer simply had more time to experiment with the weapon after the devastation that it caused and was able to experiment on themselves in order to use the powers of the weapon without needing the actual cannon itself on their person.

After having read the Last Stand of Ehr'Ishin it seems pretty clear that the Infernals and Celestials kind of looked down upon the elementals especially once their war got started so that would add to the reason as to why Jifa would have personal beef with the Avatars and why they knew how to chain elementals in the way that they did. Then there's also the fact the both the Engineer and Jifa were both clearly dedicated to the pursuit of research, the Engineer and the exaltia tower being dedicated to technology and magical research and then there's also Jifa being titled as a researcher, and that they can create entities similar to the Augahim, and given that they have plans for the ruins of Myalos I'd say they too could fit the category of an "engineer"

quote:

It sounded quite human; feminine even?

Hard agree that the laugh sounded feminine although what less sure about is the human part. If this individual is indeed the Engineer, an infernal, I have to wonder if they were forced to take on a humanoid form, as Warlic had to, due to the events that occurred at Ehr'Ishin or if maybe the Avatars directly had a hand in their current stature and they simply don't remember.

quote:

Do you think we'll find an alternative way to save Myalos

Gosh I hope so, hopefully, Lock and Key are working on a solution as we clear these waves.
    DF  Post #: 11
    3/16/2021 14:03:41   
    Primo_

Top of the hour wave count 2 PM Server Time

Top of the hour wave count
    We have cleared 1,961,320 waves since the war started, and 21,815 waves since the last update around 1 hour ago.
    Our current speed is 364 wpm, which is 72 wpm slower than the last update.
    At this speed, it will take us 1 week, 16 hours, 55 minutes, 16 seconds to defeat the remaining 4,038,680 waves.

We are currently at 32.68%. At our current speed, we will reach 33% in 51 minutes, 19 seconds

Our highest recorded speed for this war is 484 wpm.
    DF  Post #: 12
    3/16/2021 16:11:19   
    AstralCodex

Top of the hour wave count (3 PM Server)
    We have cleared 1,982,195 waves since the war started, and 20,875 waves since the last update around 1 hour ago.
    Our current speed is 348 wpm, which is 16 wpm slower than the last update.
    At this speed, it will take us 1 week, 1 day, 25 minutes, 25 seconds to defeat the remaining 4,017,805 waves.

We are currently at 33.03%. At our current speed, we will reach 34% in 2 hours, 46 minutes, 6 seconds

====
    Top of the hour wave count (4 PM Server)
    We have cleared 2,008,700 waves since the war started, and 26,505 waves since the last update around 1 hour ago.
    Our current speed is 442 wpm, which is 94 wpm faster than the last update.
    At this speed, it will take us 6 days, 6 hours, 30 minutes, 5 seconds to defeat the remaining 3,991,300 waves.

We are currently at 33.47%. At our current speed, we will reach 34% in 1 hour, 10 minutes, 49 seconds

DF  Post #: 13
    3/18/2021 11:24:18   
    Shadow_Knight41

I just bought Dragon's Rage and switched to Dragonlord from Chaosweaver. Unexpectedly, Rage Dragonlord was much more faster, Fire and Frost skills take even less time than Slice and Hexing Wheel.
    Battle on, dear heroes and heroines!
    DF  Post #: 14
    3/18/2021 19:18:57   
    Kyros123

Any chance we might unlock Catapult or Supply Run at 50%? Foot waves just aren't cutting it.
    Post #: 15
    3/19/2021 1:05:29   
    docblade

This cutscene was......interesting

spoiler:

And i have to admit, she has a point. I, for myself, felt less and less encouraged to fight the Maleurous, after hearing their motivations to do what they do. And now hearing that summary from the last......i am not really convinced anymore to fight for the good side in this conflict. I dont think the Avatars are really evil and all or the Maleurous are the good guys. But to say it in the words of the Dragon Slayer: Lets just say i am open for a new possibility

DF MQ  Post #: 16
    3/19/2021 1:07:52   
      DemonicDarkwraith

ArchKnight DragonFable

spoiler:

I really glad we're getting an explanation of the Maleurous and therefore, I'm really excited for whatever that Notha Ly'Ehr is planning. Also she's cute!

< Message edited by DemonicDarkwraith -- 3/19/2021 1:12:21 >
    DF  Post #: 17
    3/19/2021 6:31:13   
    Dratomos
    Helpful!

spoiler:

Those revelations were really interesting. I really liked it. Final Maleurous is very interesting and she does have a point. I never really liked the Avatars and I like how our Hero and Uaanta have to face this kind of complex issue.

But now on to the bigger question. How did Notha get those minions?
    DF AQW  Post #: 18
    3/19/2021 7:13:08   
    Primate Murder

spoiler:

Huh, you do have a point.

For somebody who speaks so much of freedom, Notha has an awful lot of minions covered in chains.
    AQ DF  Post #: 19
    3/19/2021 8:21:24   
    Flabagast

The war waves continue but with TRAPS! Can't just zone out completely while running from monster to monster. I'll have to watch my step!

spoiler:

Ly'Ehr... She's been there. She somehow travelled from Lore to the Wastes and seen the ruins of Ehr'Ishin. That's where her experiments have come from. And from the looks of those markings on her face it seems she's experimented on herself too.
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 20
    3/19/2021 10:36:34   
    Zeebuoy

@Primate Murder I assume they treat elementals with the same level of respect as they do to Lock and Key

sorry i do not know how to hide my text
    Post #: 21
    3/21/2021 21:13:03   
    LurkBlackSmith

@Zeeboy type in
    spoiler:

and put what you want in between the spoliers.

@Zeeboy so type in spoliers two times, add these [ ] in the around the first spoiler and add a / in between the second spolier in the [ ].

< Message edited by LurkBlackSmith -- 3/21/2021 21:20:33 >
    DF  Post #: 22
    3/22/2021 7:56:52   
    Flabagast

75%! Let's GOOOOO!

Hold on... This doesn't seem right! XD

< Message edited by Flabagast -- 3/22/2021 7:58:14 >
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 23
    3/22/2021 8:04:20   
    spirit of greed

75%

At first i was confused. I was like: Are we killing heroes? Until i realized it's a bug and it's the christmas war's catapult mission

I hope we get to know more about her and how did she get those minions (the chains are very interesting) and if she's not evil i hope she stays with us.

I'm more or less on her side, i never really liked the Avatars so much (they maybe not evil but they are arrogant,reckless,selfish and they sure as hell not careful with that much power) and these stories just made it worse. I'm willing to give them a chance and hope they see that they are not perfect and change.

I'm sad this is the last Maleurous and this storyle is almost finished. I liked it after all the Doom and the Tomix saga it's my favorite. However i don't like how it's almost finished yet we barely know anything about them:
    -Where did they come from?
    -How did they get their power?
    -Why did the Avatars consider them a big threat? Is it really just about them wanting freedom? The Maleurous wasn't exactly good or a harmless bunch
    -How did they get consumed by Valrith? It's hard to believe Valrith could consume all of them, he was powerful but nowhere that powerful
    -What is the Maleurous really? Wasn't them supposed to work together?
    -What is Remthalas goal really?
    -Most importantly what's the relationship between them and the Mysterious stranger/Shadowscythe? Is there even any?

We defeated the Maleurous way too fast i would've liked to know them more really.

< Message edited by spirit of greed -- 3/22/2021 8:43:50 >
    DF AQW  Post #: 24
    3/22/2021 17:08:33   
    Vaalirus

To be honest I still don't trust what Notha is selling, even though I really don't have much faith in the Avatars either, but on another note I'm especially curious what that vessel business was on about on Uaanta's side of the world.

As others have pointed out Notha's perspective on freedom is ironic considering she's more than willing to chain elementals and these creatures to serve her own ends and perhaps that is the point I suppose. What better way to punish those you feel that have stolen your freedom than by chaining their subjects.

My guess, much like Flabagast's, would be still that she discovered the remains of Ehr'Ishin which likely not only played a role in her ability to chain elementals but also how she discovered the nature, or perhaps more accurately how the Exalted perceived such nature, behind the balance the Avatars' imposed given that this information as put it was the knowledge the Avatars "wanted" hidden.
    DF  Post #: 25
    Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> =DF= March 12th & 19th Design Notes: The Maleurous
    Page 1 of 212>
    Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
    New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
    and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
    PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition