Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Supporting DragonFable: Ideas for the 20,000 DragonCoins Package

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> Supporting DragonFable: Ideas for the 20,000 DragonCoins Package
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3/31/2021 0:47:05   
Skyflakes

Though DragonFable is not at the peak of its player population anymore, if I recall correctly it reached about 20K users. I am ever thankful for the hardcore community that still plays up to this day, even to some extent make videos on Youtube, make memes, lore speculation, and theories. These activities support and advertise the game.

The DragonCoins package helps the game grow with interesting stories, mechanics, and classes. I think most of the community like me are hardcore fans that collect (all) items from the DC package.

Now, only the 20,000 DC package is left without an in-game item, and I would willingly buy that package if ever there would be. Spending this huge amount of DC is not a problem now that we have the Loot, Catalyst, StoryBook collection, & Cosmetics, are some examples that are worth spending.

What are your thoughts on the stuff to be included in this package?
- A class? (perhaps Fleshweaver?)
- A new item slot? (like a trinket's skill that would guarantee a weapon's special effect for a turn?)
- A choice of old/up-to-date Calendar Classes? (may turn into a new larger cost of DC/package or to be sold in-game for a huge amount of DC)

Is this a good/bad idea?
Discuss on!
Post #: 1
4/14/2021 1:06:21   
Korriban Gaming

I second the idea of having an item in the 20k package. More items for all packages actually (like AQ).

quote:

What are your thoughts on the stuff to be included in this package?
- A class? (perhaps Fleshweaver?)
- A new item slot? (like a trinket's skill that would guarantee a weapon's special effect for a turn?)
- A choice of old/up-to-date Calendar Classes? (may turn into a new larger cost of DC/package or to be sold in-game for a huge amount of DC)

All bad ideas imo because they would make the game too P2W. I don't agree with any of those items being locked behind one of the most expensive packages in the game (DmK being the exception).

I would suggest maybe BiS accessories or weapons that are equal to but not surpassing the items we can get from the Inn
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 2
4/14/2021 10:38:14   
Skyflakes

quote:

I would suggest maybe BiS accessories or weapons that are equal to but not surpassing the items we can get from the Inn.

Seems fair enough. Good point. DragonCoins packages could be an alternative but equal in strength to Inn items for players who don't grind.
Post #: 3
4/14/2021 16:02:43   
Dratomos
Helpful!

quote:

I would suggest maybe BiS accessories or weapons that are equal to but not surpassing the items we can get from the Inn

That sounds like a really bad idea. And it would make DF almost a P2W.

Having an option to pay 50 dollars for BiS items is really really bad idea.

Currently the Inn rewards are much better because you cannot get those kind of items anywhere else. Your suggestion sounds like "pay X amount of money to skip the challenges and get the rewards".

I also dislike the idea of the most expensive DC package having even bigger bonus. You already get 20000 DC that you can use to buy special weapons and classes, valuable House items.
DF AQW  Post #: 4
4/14/2021 17:06:30   
Baron Dante

quote:

I second the idea of having an item in the 20k package. More items for all packages actually (like AQ).

I'd rather not have that. If more stuff was added to the packages themselves, it would somewhat force players to get the packages for the items, even if they don't need the DCs. (Obviously, you can circumvent this by having the items also purchasable for DCs in the game, as some packages have done, but I feel that kind of undermines the whole point.)

I feel like the 20k package is fine as is, honestly. It's a relatively big commitment to buy such a package, so I'd rather just have it stay as the "value pack" where you get the most DCs for your buck.

I'd much prefer there just being things you can buy with DCs. You run out, you get more. I'm a fan of the QoL items. Stuff like the Storybook and whatnot.
I would absolutely get a 5 potion refill into my house at nearly any price, having to go all the way for those is kind of a pain, for example.

So yeah, pretty much what Dratomos said.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 5
4/14/2021 23:27:48   
Korriban Gaming

quote:

That sounds like a really bad idea. And it would make DF almost a P2W.

Having an option to pay 50 dollars for BiS items is really really bad idea.

Currently the Inn rewards are much better because you cannot get those kind of items anywhere else. Your suggestion sounds like "pay X amount of money to skip the challenges and get the rewards".

How would it make DF P2W? There's so many accessible Inn videos on Youtube between myself, Astral Codex and Kevin, would people really pay $50 to skip it just to get the rewards? And I said equal in power to the Inn items but definitely not surpassing them which means you can literally get items with similar if not exactly the same stats for FREE. Would you pay $50 for stats on an item when you can get it for completely free? If anything, it would be for the cosmetics. The stats are the cherry on top since it is $50 after all and I don't think it should be anything weak. I would suggest items with slightly stronger than normal specials instead like the Fallen Ice Dragon weapons of the past but we all saw how that turned out for game balancing and if anything would probably make it more P2W like what you said.

quote:

I feel like the 20k package is fine as is, honestly. It's a relatively big commitment to buy such a package, so I'd rather just have it stay as the "value pack" where you get the most DCs for your buck.

How many people (barring the few whales) actually buy DCs after getting the full Doomknight package? Your point is fair and I know the game is doing well right now, but I don't think more revenue would hurt them in any way.

quote:

I'm a fan of the QoL items. Stuff like the Storybook and whatnot.
I would absolutely get a 5 potion refill into my house at nearly any price, having to go all the way for those is kind of a pain, for example.

I agree with this but monthly DC items or any newly released DC items in general need to have either unique/strongest effects for majority of people to actually want to buy them unless the artwork is just fantastic. Art is subjective and I don't think there's any "bad" art but there's some which are definitely more popular than others. I don't have the statistics but I'm pretty sure the monthly DC items with specials actually see more purchase compared to those without.

< Message edited by Korriban Gaming -- 4/14/2021 23:38:34 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 6
4/15/2021 2:56:33   
Dratomos
Helpful!

quote:

How would it make DF P2W? There's so many accessible Inn videos on Youtube between myself, Astral Codex and Kevin, would people really pay $50 to skip it just to get the rewards? And I said equal in power to the Inn items but definitely not surpassing them which means you can literally get items with similar if not exactly the same stats for FREE. Would you pay $50 for stats on an item when you can get it for completely free? If anything, it would be for the cosmetics

So why did you then make the suggestion if you just explained why no one would buy those items if they had stats equal to Inn tier. Why give those items any stats then? Why not make them cosmetics only? Or have the pack include some Customization Catalysts. If they would be only cosmetics, it wouldn't bother me but why give those accessories stats equal to Inn equipment?

DF AQW  Post #: 7
4/15/2021 9:53:19   
Korriban Gaming

Because then there is more incentive to buy the items apart from art alone? I don't think cosmetic items will sell as well as items with good stats/effects. Not saying that purely cosmetic items won't sell well but it's like asking do you want A + B or just A for the same price. The answer is obviously both if possible. And why are you so bothered that the accessories have stats equal to Inn gear? I was very specific in saying that in no way should it surpass the Inn items. Isn't it great that there's another option of obtaining a item with same stats but different artwork? With this argument you could also complain about the recent changes to make potion levelling available for gold and the greatly reduced cost of DM gear since those are very big parts of what makes Inn challenges significantly easier
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 8
4/15/2021 12:23:41   
Dratomos
Helpful!

quote:

Because then there is more incentive to buy the items apart from art alone? I don't think cosmetic items will sell as well as items with good stats/effects. Not saying that purely cosmetic items won't sell well but it's like asking do you want A + B or just A for the same price. The answer is obviously both if possible. And why are you so bothered that the accessories have stats equal to Inn gear? I was very specific in saying that in no way should it surpass the Inn items.

Have you noticed that the montly DC items rarely are BiS -items? That is because one of them Heartseeker's Helm IX could be considered such and nobody liked that. The same logic can be used with items that come with DC packs.

quote:

Isn't it great that there's another option of obtaining a item with same stats but different artwork?

I don't see the reason why we should have? We currently have the show/hidden option so the stats would be irrelevant. If you like one artwork and want to use it in quests, you don't care what the stats are. This is why Doverly introduced us cosmetic items.

quote:

With this argument you could also complain about the recent changes to make potion levelling available for gold and the greatly reduced cost of DM gear since those are very big parts of what makes Inn challenges significantly easier

I'm not sure are you sarcastic or not. Because this point makes no sense. You don't see the difference of this situation where

A.) every player has the advantage since there is no payment involved to get gold (one could argue that the XP -boosts are one and they are not wrong, but if you are bying 20 000 DC, you will probably use some of them to boosts, but you can still get gold very easily) or DM more easily or

B.)You pay ~50 dollars to unlock BiS -items without any trouble or farming or challenge required.

So with the addition of 20 000 DC (that you can use to buy weapons with great specials and great DC classes and XP-boosts) you would also get BiS -items? You really don't see how this makes them P2W? It doesn't matter if they are equal to Inn stats, that still would make them P2W. Why would you do Inn challenges to get items if you already have equal ones that you paid 50 dollars to get?

The only addition to the 20 000 DC items I would add are cosmetic items and XP -boosts. Nothing more.

< Message edited by Dratomos -- 4/15/2021 12:26:33 >
DF AQW  Post #: 9
4/15/2021 13:16:27   
Korriban Gaming

quote:

Have you noticed that the montly DC items rarely are BiS -items? That is because one of them Heartseeker's Helm IX could be considered such and nobody liked that. The same logic can be used with items that come with DC packs.

I don't really keep track on which of the monthly DC items are BiS but there are definitely a few that come close, Heartseeker's Helm like you mentioned and Starswords pre nerf for their strong DoTs are what comes to my mind. Nobody liked the Heartseeker's Helm? I dug up the release thread from when it first came out and literally no one mentioned that they disliked it? There may have been discussions on Discord which I'm not aware of but I definitely haven't heard of anyone hating on that item. EUD is BiS trinket, GT is best for ele seeking, Threadcutter is very good offensively, maybe only second to Uragiri and Fallen Ice Dragon weapons used to be BiS against humans. What are you talking about? Nobody likes those items? Really?

quote:

I'm not sure are you sarcastic or not. Because this point makes no sense. You don't see the difference of this situation where

A.) every player has the advantage since there is no payment involved to get gold (one could argue that the XP -boosts are one and they are not wrong, but if you are bying 20 000 DC, you will probably use some of them to boosts, but you can still get gold very easily) or DM more easily or

B.)You pay ~50 dollars to unlock BiS -items without any trouble or farming or challenge required.

So with the addition of 20 000 DC (that you can use to buy weapons with great specials and great DC classes and XP-boosts) you would also get BiS -items? You really don't see how this makes them P2W? It doesn't matter if they are equal to Inn stats, that still would make them P2W. Why would you do Inn challenges to get items if you already have equal ones that you paid 50 dollars to get?

I'm not being sarcastic.
Anyone can get the advantage of BiS items even if they choose not to pay. Either by doing the challenges themselves or apeing videos on Youtube. This involves no spending whatsoever. You seem to miss my point whereby I very specifically said that these package items should not surpass Inn gear in any way so these BiS items from packages are not exclusive to spenders only.

I don't see why adding even more value to packages to incentivize players to spend hurts non-spenders in any way when they can get items equal in power by not spending at all. If anything, this benefits the game since more revenue (which hopefully means this game can eventually expand on the 2 main staff that they have, less work on the 2 people and perhaps better/larger releases with a larger team). There are literally FREE alternatives which are EQUAL to the paid version, this is not P2W. P2W would be exclusive BiS items that surpass every other item in the game, even Inn gear, that are IMPOSSIBLE to get outside of spending. That is NOT what I am suggesting. Majority of the people who are actually interested in doing the Inn challenges (and not just for the rewards) do it for the challenge itself, not the rewards, this addition wouldn't change that. As for those who could care less about the challenge and just want the rewards, they are probably apeing videos anyways so it also wouldn't change a thing.

< Message edited by Korriban Gaming -- 4/15/2021 13:25:52 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 10
4/15/2021 13:45:17   
Dratomos
Helpful!

quote:

I don't really keep track on which of the monthly DC items are BiS but there are definitely a few that come close, Heartseeker's Helm like you mentioned and Starswords pre nerf for their strong DoTs are what comes to my mind. Nobody liked the Heartseeker's Helm? I dug up the release thread from when it first came out and literally no one mentioned that they disliked it? There may have been discussions on Discord which I'm not aware of but I definitely haven't heard of anyone hating on that item. EUD is BiS trinket, GT is best for ele seeking, Threadcutter is very good offensively, maybe only second to Uragiri and Fallen Ice Dragon weapons used to be BiS against humans. What are you talking about? Nobody likes those items? Really?

I also checked that thread. There were some (myself included) who didn't like the helm being a BiS -tier.

GT is not an BiS weapon. Neither is Threadcutter (as Warlic Staff is a better option). EUD is the exception but it requires a lot of DM to be BiS, otherwise it's C7.

The weapons we get from these packs should be great and good alternatives. Threadcutter is a good fire weapon. I'm not saying those weapons shouldn't be good. I'm saying that they shouldn't ne BiS.

quote:

I'm not being sarcastic.
Anyone can get the advantage of BiS items even if they choose not to pay. Either by doing the challenges themselves or apeing videos on Youtube. This involves no spending whatsoever. You seem to miss my point whereby I very specifically said that these package items should not surpass Inn gear in any way so these BiS items from packages are not exclusive to spenders only.

I'm not missing that point. I'm saying that you shouldn't get the best or equal-to-the-best items by just using real-world currency. That makes the items you get challenges not so special anymore. It is like devs giving us an option to use DC to buy all the Inn rewards. No one would like that would they? That is because it would lessen the value of those challenges and be a huge annoyance to players who cannot use money to buy DC.

Like seriously, if there would be an option to buy the newest reward, Frostscythe III (a BiS Ice weapon) for 500 DC, why should one do the challenge? Because it is challenging? Or maybe I just spend 2,50 € and skip it entirely to get the reward. It's these kinds of microtransactions that no one likes. What you are proposing is just that one would have to pay a lot more to get the items. It is not as beneficial as you think.

quote:

I don't see why adding even more value to packages to incentivize players to spend hurts non-spenders in any way when they can get items equal in power by not spending at all. If anything, this benefits the game since more revenue (which hopefully means this game can eventually expand on the 2 main staff that they have, less work on the 2 people and perhaps better/larger releases with a larger team). There are literally FREE alternatives which are EQUAL to the paid version, this is not P2W. P2W would be exclusive BiS items that surpass every other item in the game, even Inn gear, that is NOT what I am suggesting. Majority of the people who are actually interested in doing the Inn challenges (and not just for the rewards) do it for the challenge itself, not the rewards, this addition wouldn't change that. As for those who could care less about the challenge and just want the rewards, they are probably apeing videos anyways so it also wouldn't change a thing.

Again, not every player is able to spend 50 dollars on a DC pack. And if they would, the reward for that shouldn't be "here is the BiS items so that you don't have to do Inn challenges." You already get 20 000 DC. That means you can buy a lot of great items and classes.

Do you understand what P2W means? It isn't just that you use money to buy better gear, it also means you get the better gear much faster or automatically after buying than a player who don't use money on the game.

Just because you are able to buy those packs and want a reason to buy those packs, doesn't mean those packs should include BiS -items. And I'm not saying there shouldn't be any special bonus on that pack. I'm saying, it shouldn't be BiS, it should be a cosmetic item. Like say unique customization catalysts for classes.

Because that way, all the items that are BiS would be accessible to every player in equal way.

And not to mention, the leveling. Would one get only 90 level versions from that pack? Or from levels 1-90 as other packs give currently. Meaning you would have the level 1 version of that BiS item immediately after buying it. Say one buys it to a level 20 character. Now that character can sell all the loot they get because there is no reason to use them, you already have the BiS item. And will have for the rest of the game. That is a huge advantage compared to player who is NDA or DA-only. And that is a P2W -feature.

You could argue that you already get accessories that very valuable from cheaper DC packs. You are not wrong. But. Those aren't BiS. That is the huge difference. One cannot use those items for the rest of the game and get a huge advantage to Inn compared to a player who doesn't have any Inn gear who starts it.

< Message edited by Dratomos -- 4/15/2021 13:50:44 >
DF AQW  Post #: 11
4/15/2021 13:55:17   
NotKun

Would be a big fan of including catalysts and customs in DC packages, the current packages feel a little lackluster bc I don't particularly like the items included from a cosmetic sense and I think catalysts could really be a good bonus.

As for including inn level items, no. Like Dratomos mentioned its bad on multiple fronts, clearing the Inn even with people making helpful videos is a significant time and knowledge/learning mechanics investment. Giving the option to people to skip all of that and get the same gear ALONG with dcs is a horrible idea. As it is dragoncoin purchases without any items help reduce the time and mechanics investment significantly by offering you access to more powerful classes and dragon food to get max drag quicker. Giving them BiS items is just a giant middle finger to people who have put in the time and effort to grind through the inn for good gear.
Post #: 12
4/16/2021 0:20:25   
Sun Wukong

In my opinion, I see no harm in putting bonus items in 20k DC package. Disagreeing to this expensive package having good items is like disagreeing to the DmK, EUD, Grove Tender, and Sun God set which are good in their way (not even surpassing the Inn items).

If ever they will add stuff to the 20k, it would be ridiculous if they add some inferior items compared to the lesser DC packages which are cheaper. It was even stated before that DmK is pay to win, ironically some who doesn't like that idea even have the armor itself being in the most expensive DC package with a bonus.

If having a BiS in the 20K DC package that should not surpass the Inn items or is equal to power is fair to me. Getting a BiS requires a lot of effort as well as paying 50$.

The point of payment is to upgrade one's character and obviously will be stronger to the ones who doesn't. Even having a strong or BiS item at level one is not a problem because you paid for that.

If one doesn't like the idea of pay to win for getting the BiS then there's the inn. If one doesn't like the inn and want an easy way for a BiS (or closer to that) then there's the DC package. Just like paying for 500 DC Wings of Infernos or getting it with your luck itself which is challenging.

quote:

Just because you are able to buy those packs and want a reason to buy those packs, doesn't mean those packs should include BiS -items. And I'm not saying there shouldn't be any special bonus on that pack. I'm saying, it shouldn't be BiS, it should be a cosmetic item. Like say unique customization catalysts for classes.

I also like the idea for catalysts. And if placed on the 20k package it should be many.

< Message edited by Sun Wukong -- 4/16/2021 1:07:21 >
Post #: 13
4/16/2021 0:49:14   
Korriban Gaming

quote:

I'm not missing that point. I'm saying that you shouldn't get the best or equal-to-the-best items by just using real-world currency. That makes the items you get challenges not so special anymore. It is like devs giving us an option to use DC to buy all the Inn rewards. No one would like that would they? That is because it would lessen the value of those challenges and be a huge annoyance to players who cannot use money to buy DC.

Like seriously, if there would be an option to buy the newest reward, Frostscythe III (a BiS Ice weapon) for 500 DC, why should one do the challenge? Because it is challenging? Or maybe I just spend 2,50 € and skip it entirely to get the reward. It's these kinds of microtransactions that no one likes. What you are proposing is just that one would have to pay a lot more to get the items. It is not as beneficial as you think.

quote:

Giving them BiS items is just a giant middle finger to people who have put in the time and effort to grind through the inn for good gear.

It seems like your enitre argument is centered around the fact that it devalues the items you get from the Inn. With this logic, many people should be pissed about the recent changes to potion levelling and DM accessory grinding no? Since it completely devalues the months if not years of hard work taken to get the potions and DM gear to max level. This is a much bigger middle finger to the older players who grinded it out if you ask me. To my knowledge, I haven't seem anyone hate on that change and if anything, both potion levelling and DM accessory grinding take up a SIGNIFICANTLY larger amount of time than grinding for Inn gear, so why is it that people are fine with devaluing 2 of the grindiest aspects of the game (which are also BiS items mind you) but not Inn items? This seems like cherrypicking.

The very recent Kitsune and Wolfwing challenges only gave purely cosmetic rewards. Did that stop anyone from doing those challenges? So yes, your sarcastic statement is actually true. People who are interested do the challenges because it is challenging and not because of the rewards. People who enjoy these challenges still get the satisfactory kick out of it and on top of that, occasionally, a completely FREE BiS item that those who are not interested in the challenges have to pay $50 for if they want it. Both camps get their own cake and eat it. Is that not a win for both sides?

quote:

Would be a big fan of including catalysts and customs in DC packages, the current packages feel a little lackluster bc I don't particularly like the items included from a cosmetic sense and I think catalysts could really be a good bonus.

I second the idea of adding catalysts but definitely not to the biggest package. If anything, purely cosmetic items should go to the smaller packages.

< Message edited by Korriban Gaming -- 4/16/2021 0:53:37 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 14
4/16/2021 2:25:21   
Dratomos
Helpful!

quote:

In my opinion, I see no harm in putting bonus items in 20k DC package. Disagreeing to this expensive package having good items is like disagreeing to the DmK, EUD, Grove Tender, and Sun God set which are good in their way (not even surpassing the Inn items).

I'm not saying there shouldn't be any items. It's that they shouldn't be BiS. Unique items with specific use-cases? Sure. With nice weapon bonuses? Why not. And them being cosmetic (with weapon slot)/customization catalysts would only be better.

quote:

It seems like your enitre argument is centered around the fact that it devalues the items you get from the Inn. With this logic, many people should be pissed about the recent changes to potion levelling and DM accessory grinding no? Since it completely devalues the months if not years of hard work taken to get the potions and DM gear to max level. This is a much bigger middle finger to the older players who grinded it out if you ask me. To my knowledge, I haven't seem anyone hate on that change and if anything, both potion levelling and DM accessory grinding take up a SIGNIFICANTLY larger amount of time than grinding for Inn gear, so why is it that people are fine with devaluing 2 of the grindiest aspects of the game (which are also BiS items mind you) but not Inn items? This seems like cherrypicking.

You really cannot see the difference here? Where every player (new old, DA or NDA) gets the advantage with free update or "with 50 dollars, you get 20 000 DC and BiS items". And you are surprised that nobody is angry when every player (new old, DA or NDA) gets the advantage with free update? And you actually think it is cherrypicking that I don't mind every player (new old, DA or NDA) getting the advantage with free update but I do mind that player who spends 50 dollars gets the BiS items immediately in addition to the 20 000 DC?

And have you even thought the reputation this would give to DF? New players or layers who have stopped playing hear you get the best items immediately with 50 dollars. t and think "what is this level of microtransactions/sad to see my childhood game having microtransactions now".

quote:

The very recent Kitsune and Wolfwing challenges only gave purely cosmetic rewards. Did that stop anyone from doing those challenges? So yes, your sarcastic statement is actually true. People who are interested do the challenges because it is challenging and not because of the rewards. People who enjoy these challenges still get the satisfactory kick out of it and on top of that, occasionally, a completely FREE BiS item that those who are not interested in the challenges have to pay $50 for if they want it. Both camps get their own cake and eat it. Is that not a win for both sides?

You are clearly missing the point. The point wasn't "nobody does the challenge if the reward isn't BiS or it's only cosmetic", the point was "not so many do a hard challenge that has BiS reward, if you can buy the BiS reward with DC".

Korriban, I like your vids and you usually have good takes. But this is really really really really really really bad take and I don't get why you are defending adding this level of microtransactions in the game. We all want DF to continue and want to support it but this isn't the way.

If a player is choosing to buy 50 dollar DC pack, it means they already receive a huge advantage after doing so, as we both know. Why should we add to the advantage with BiS items? Players who choose to buy it already want to buy it.

< Message edited by Dratomos -- 4/16/2021 2:44:47 >
DF AQW  Post #: 15
4/16/2021 3:26:01   
Sun Wukong

As an old player myself, I wouldn't mind new players getting a good item such as Sun God and Grove or closer or even a BiS at level 1, which I did not experience. If they want it that way, then its good that they can have a good or strong item perhaps making them enjoy more on the game.

When I started playing DF it was really difficult for me in my experience and whatever reasons and if others can play this easier with such items in a package they paid then they deserve it. Comparing a lvl 1 Non-DA vs lvl 1 with DA, obviously the DA can cheese more but with a cost.

If some players are discouraged at the Inn's difficulty and want to have a strong item or closer/equal/not surpassing to a BiS through an alternative which is DC package then so be it. Having some BiS myself wont be bothered by others if they get it the other way.

< Message edited by Sun Wukong -- 4/16/2021 3:34:01 >
Post #: 16
4/16/2021 5:39:51   
TFS
Helpful!

I don't like the idea of DC package items being equivalent to challenge rewards and seeing there be any people at all who'd think otherwise is a bit surprising. While it'd certainly earn more revenue for the game, being able to just buy the best item in the game of earning it feels like it'd be the kind of unethical or overly aggressive monetization that DragonFable is above. If the justification for the recent Grove Tender change is anything to go by, that's also the exact opposite of what the developers want.

If a game gives you an option to just pay money and not have to worry about actually playing or progressing its core gameplay (in an RPG, making your character stronger), it begs the question of whether the game exists to be played or whether it exists just to be a microtransaction sink. It'd feel like a prioritization of spending over gameplay, when in DF's case playing the game itself has always been at the forefront, as it should be. This isn't a mobile game. Or AQWorlds.

I also question the "but some people don't want to do challenges" logic - if someone doesn't have any interest in earning or even using a powerful item, then why would they even want it? Seems like an extraneous hypothetical. It's not like the best items in the game are even necessarily challenge rewards, either - just look at the drop from last week's quest.

That being said, DragonFable's microtransactions have (mostly) been intended as fun side-grades to explore breadth rather than depth in advancing your character, and that's not necessarily a bad thing either. I'd definitely like to see more unique items like Grove Tender that are (or were) just fun and useful, without having to be best item in the game or a buyable version of a gameplay reward. I'm also a fan of items like the Threadcutter that just look really cool and meet the same end of being a unique bonus (though obviously you can't usually make an objective statement about whether one piece of art is "better" or "worse" than another). DragonFable's current microtransaction setup is already (mostly) player-friendly while still being rewarding to those who do get them. IMO at least, I don't think the intent or design philosophy behind it is bad or should be changed, unless the game were to start doing poorly financially (which we've been told is not the case).

If you're still determined to pay a disproportionate amount of money for a superstrong item, you can always just go straight over DragonFable's head and buy a calendar.

< Message edited by TFS -- 4/16/2021 5:57:39 >
DF  Post #: 17
4/16/2021 16:41:11   
NotKun

quote:

Do you not understand the simple difference between those lol? Potion trainings issue wasn't the fact that it required grinding it was an extremely dull and mind numbing grind that also forced you to play a bugged mini game, making it cost gold is still a grind because you have to earn the gold required? As for the DM items all that was done was to reduce the unhealthy amount of DMs required because theres an extremely limited amount of time where farming DMs is efficient and it encouraged unhealthy amounts of grinding as a result of this limited time window which led to players feeling burned out with the pressure to spend hours each day. The reason why players were happy with these QoL changes were because especially in the case of DM farming it felt really bad even after doing the grind because it was ridiculous. Personally I spent 10 hours or so farming for the first few days of the war which isn't something that should be encouraged.

Neither of these remotely compare to the Inn which rewards knowledge of game mechanics and is healthy progression for players who have reached the end of the game by providing fun challenges and rewarding items as a result of putting in the time and effort to complete the challenges. There isn't any sort of time lock and you can spend a reasonable amount of time whenever you feel like it working towards clearing the inn. You learn far more about class mechanics and the DF battle system as a whole, none of these things can be said about DM farming or Potion training. Once again, this is all option and serves as as optional content/rewards for players who have reached the endgame. Why would there be an option to skip all of this and just receive the best items in the game at whatever level you are provided you pay $50 on top of getting a large chunk of DCs? Unless you want to completely devalue the idea of progression and encourage people to simply pay their way into the endgame this is a horrible idea and I have no clue why people would be in support of this.

< Message edited by NotKun -- 4/16/2021 20:16:52 >
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> Supporting DragonFable: Ideas for the 20,000 DragonCoins Package
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition