Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Dexterity and Luck

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> Game Balance Issues >> Dexterity and Luck
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8/4/2021 11:41:02   
Sapphire

I was recently redirected to an old game engine update, the one with the 100 proc change.

IMR mentioned that, at least at the time, they were contemplating whether or not DEX did too much, and maybe trying to remove some overlap between DEX and LUK.

So this is kind of an idea, based on some potential thought that it is a Game Balance Issue.

So this reminded me of something I have long since thought to myself....

*IF* it is still being looked at, and *IF* people think DEX still does "too much", one easy thing to do is make STR/INT affect blocking for Melee/Magic some and reduce DEX's role slightly in those areas, while still maintaining it's prowess on Ranged.

So Dex/8 + LUK/40 Now becomes:

Mainstat/16 + Dex/16 + LUK/40.

So if you leave Ranged alone and leave it at DEX/8 + LUK/40, Dexterity helps with Melee and Magic blocking by half it used to instead of being the main driver.

This means that no build gets max blocking to everything. You can't train 4 stats to max. I'm sure the "blocking build" mainstays are going to balk, but eh whatever.

Now, DEX does a little bit less, which is what's being evaluated.

Now, to unpin LUK from Dex a bit...

LUK should be LUCK. It should affect a variety of things, but only in small ways, but perhaps collectively it adds to to be a worthwhile stat to train.

Luck has already evolved with time. It used to be just for first strike. Then lucky strikes were added.

The "Ready before battle" feature in some ways really reduced the first strike advantage since damage has come up so much.

So why not.... What if for blocking, you reduced or removed LUK from the blocking chance formula, and then added a 10% chance for a "Lucky Block", where the overall current role LUK plays in blocking ends up the same effect, but this creates more of a niche. Just do the math so blocking overall doesn't change, just now you have a "Lucky Block" rather than it affecting the actual chance.

Then,

1. Give Guests Lucky Strikes
2. Add a LUK/25% damage increase as "Initiative Bonus" just like how Tempest has...but this goes for EVERY ARMOR on your first turn. This does *not* help you go first. Luck already does that. This just gives you LUK/25 more damage on your first turn. This is +10% damage. If Initiative Bonus on Tempest and other armors needs to be reduced to +40% to compensate, then so be it.
3. All saves/stat rolls gain a LUK/25% chance to override the result. If the monster makes a save, there's a chance if it wins the save, that your LUK just overrode the save and the monster ends up failing. If you're making the save, there's a chance you overrode the roll in your favor.

So you're creating a niche as intended, I feel, for luck, and slightly removing overlap a bit...not a lot..but a bit. And this is reducing a little bit from DEX.

I do not know if it's been decided this is, or isn't still needed. But here's a quick idea in the event it might be still being looked at.

< Message edited by SapphireCatalyst2021 -- 8/4/2021 12:08:19 >
Post #: 1
8/4/2021 19:20:11   
Legendary Ash

As standard skills/spells have the same Lucky Strike damage as a weapon attack, where the expenditure of resources grants additional damage only affects Base, Random and Mainstat damage, Guests the equivalent of skills/spells designed for Beastmasters do not receive Lucky Strikes.
AQ  Post #: 2
8/4/2021 22:50:04   
ruleandrew

Warrior attack cycle:
attack > attack > attack > skill (STR)

Beast warrior attack cycle (with guest):
(attack + guest) > (attack + guest) > (attack + guest) > (attack + guest)

Attack grant y amount of lucky strike. Skill grant y amount of lucky strike.

Now you can see why guest do not receive lucky strike.
CHA skill do receive lucky strike.

< Message edited by ruleandrew -- 8/4/2021 22:54:05 >
AQ  Post #: 3
8/5/2021 15:07:13   
Sapphire

Thats all fine.

What about the rest of the post?

Edit to the original idea:

If it's better or easier to implement a LUK/25 add-on to all status inflictions to the save or the save to ward off inflictions upon yourself, then sure do that. This is adding to status potence and resistance.

Paralyze Potence -10 becomes -20 at 250 LUK. No status potence from an item and you get a generic status potence -10 by default.

Whichever...

< Message edited by SapphireCatalyst2021 -- 8/6/2021 14:34:24 >
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> Game Balance Issues >> Dexterity and Luck
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition