Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =AQ= 20th Anniversary Mega Event - Part II

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> RE: =AQ= 20th Anniversary Mega Event - Part II
Page 2 of 2<12
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10/17/2022 14:47:06   
Kaizoku

Armor does something different and is usable by multiple builds, let us please homogenize it into another skillcaster armor for nuke builds, preferably with Void element so I never have to switch armors again for my damage set-ups. /s

< Message edited by Kaizoku -- 10/17/2022 18:52:46 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 26
10/17/2022 15:26:29   
kreem

How long will the Anniversary LTS last?
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 27
10/17/2022 18:32:50   
PD

The newsletter has been posted, but as far as I can tell it doesn't contain anything new: https://mailchi.mp/artix.com/2022-20th-anniversary-week3

But inside of that, this is the last week for the Anniversary LTS. I want to post a new thread but the homepage hasn't been updated yet. But that should happen soon enough.
Post #: 28
10/17/2022 19:29:07   
Sapphire

Yeah I was going to say the newsletter says literally nothing new, maybe except the tidbit saying there will be new items added each of the three weeks to the LTS...maybe paving the way for a cupcake?

So could one deduct that the entire release this week is a new cupcake?
Post #: 29
10/17/2022 22:18:23   
  Lorekeeper
And Pun-isher

The newsletter shows multiple weapons, not just a cupcake. A weapon set and a misc is a lighter release, yes, but it's not just a single item -- And we did just release four quests in two weeks, with an associated set.
Post #: 30
10/18/2022 2:45:07   
PD

I've been pretty happy with the Anniversary event so far. Considering that we usually don't get more than 1 "MC Set" a year, this is really a treat on top - It's also great for those who chose not to go for PaleSkull or missed the Fae Knight set from last year's Frostval questline, I do think one thing that is important to remember is that AQ's staff is much smaller than it was in 2012. In terms of resources dedicated to it relative to other times, I'd say that 2012 was pretty much peak AQ (though not peak in all aspects of course). I think it would have been a tall ask to match what was done in 2012.

All of this said, this isn't to say that there could have been things done better here and there (always room to do things better) but I came away largely happy with this one. Perhaps though I do think if this is a smaller release but there is time, that we could think of some QoL updates on the side. Ideally something not that hard to do but incredibly valuable in terms of what it could ease for us. Having Black Friday early would be nice but I feel like we should have something more enduring and of more permanent value.

@Lorekeeper: After a second look the Eternal Champion's sword is different looking from the 3 swords behind the cupcake promotional. Guess I needed to take a harder look. My mistake.

EDIT: The new thread is now created.

< Message edited by PD -- 10/18/2022 2:50:48 >
Post #: 31
10/21/2022 4:06:45   
raylas

To whomever statted/tuned the boss:

Pretty nice work, but the damage is a bit much on top of everything else.

and yes, I know my opinion counts for negative value.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 32
10/21/2022 12:35:33   
Dreiko Shadrack

Your stat spread on that linked character sure isn't doing you any favors, yikes.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 33
10/21/2022 18:49:04   
PD

Speaking of the boss as there seems to be some commentary about monsters sometimes being too hard, I do have an open question:

quote:

The boss was tested using regular tactics. It uses a fire parallel to the ShadowScythe Virophage v2 mechanics: It has regeneration, and a charge-up turn before unleashing its special attack. Dealing six hits or applying a status effect that can stun the boss (For instance, Daze will work even if it's below 100%) will prevent the boss's attack and reduce his healing for the rest of the fight.

What does this actually mean? Ideally anything should be beaten by using what's available in Yulglar's / Aria's / Warlic's / Robina's or any quest-less items, assuming you're using the matching elemental equips as your enemy's element (ie, use light armor + dark weapon vs light monster). I usually never have problems with monsters these days but I do sometimes wonder how are these things being tested?

@Raylas: As Dreiko has suggested, perhaps a revamp of your character is in order. Your character is using outdated stats and you could see a huge improvement in results just from resetting it to a more modern distribution. Feel free to go to the Q&A subforum and I'll give you a rating / revamp

< Message edited by PD -- 10/21/2022 19:01:36 >
Post #: 34
10/21/2022 21:44:36   
  Lorekeeper
And Pun-isher

I test every boss or gauntlet I suggest with specific limitations to ensure it's beaten without having to rely on premium gear or broken combinations (Which is to say, combinations of items that would remove all challenge regardless). I skip straight to these strict parameters rather than ramping up to them in order to be able to complete tests in a reasonable time period, as conventional test procedures for a tester would be exhaustive beyond my availability. Story bosses are therefore meant to be beatable with any gear obtainable through gameplay, ensuring that there is no such thing as content that can only be beaten through packages or decking a character out in GGBs/Token gear. The minimum set of assumptions is adequate elemental gear, with protective miscs or other defenses being a step up in recommendations if a boss isn't meant to be very easy.

With designated challenges such as the Chessmaster gauntlet, I've even started testing without Tier 3 classes (Initially because of using the wrong class title, funnily enough, which led me to decide testing without using the class skills). I additionally start these battles 'wasting' turns such as by starting with deliberately wrong defenses to ensure that it's possible to recover from mistakes or misreadings. Paying attention to the mechanics of challenges, of course, is still essential. It's at this point that it has to be pointed out that the notion that ideally anything should be beaten with town gear doesn't work, as we'd have to keep every fight so simple that it only takes attacking with the right element to win. That would preclude optional challenges entirely.
Post #: 35
10/21/2022 22:06:25   
Korriban Gaming
Banned

If you need help, I just made a video beating the boss using a F2P strategy here. Hope it helps!
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 36
10/21/2022 23:45:59   
PD

@LoreKeeper: Thanks for the answer. I actually did assume that when you test things that you only use town gear on the belief that there's a certain intended way to play AQ based on the assumptions of game design / balance. IE: Slogfest the enemy by tanking up hits using the matching elemental gear and hitting them with their weakest element until they die with the attack button, and maybe the occasional spell attack if you're a mage but you still are expected to attack with whatever magic weapon you have until they die once you run out of mana. Or at least this how it feels like it's supposed to be with all the bubblewrap measures trying to bring us back down to "real AQ".

Nonetheless I do have to comment on one thing, which I find confusing or open to a wide variety of interpretations:

"Story bosses are therefore meant to be beatable with any gear obtainable through gameplay"

"The minimum set of assumptions is adequate elemental gear, with protective miscs or other defenses being a step up in recommendations if a boss isn't meant to be very easy."

You did state that everything being beatable with only town gear isn't the way you test things, but that you're expected to at least use some items obtained through questing. Which is fair as that is how all RPG's work. AQ does have a "main" set storylines but AQ otherwise gives players a lot of freedom compared to other RPG's, To the point where said freedom almost feels unbearable with how little help you get and how little idea you're supposed to be playing. This results a variety of outcomes as there's no "assumed" progression*. Or if there is an assumed progression it's poorly stated and players don't really follow it well. I can only assume the quests you're talking about are quests that have been implemented since your tenure (2018 and after) or at least some cutoff point of "modern AQ quests/items" which even then isn't clearly defined in scope (maybe 2015 and after?). The way that these statements are phrased kind of flies in the face of AQ's current lack of directed progression. Which again, is why I always have assumed until now that staff tests quests with only town gear because of said lack of assumed progression. It would be nice to go further into detail about this but maybe that's too much especially since the game is in such a state of flux that maybe this can't even be properly answered.

*On the lack of progression: I'm hoping that next year one of the improvements that is done is real focus on the early game and/or increasing the directedness of assumed player growth/progression. This has been a huge pain point for AQ for years that continues to bother new, returning and even existing players. If this is done I think AQ will be a much better product, and such improvements would be multipliers of value.

< Message edited by PD -- 10/21/2022 23:49:07 >
Post #: 37
10/22/2022 3:03:26   
raylas

@lorekeeper

Yeah fair enough.

@PD and Dreiko

Yeah I'm aware, I've been meaning to fix that but I'm a lazy clod and keep neglecting it. Posted in Q&A, probably going to remove my strength and focus on DEX and INT, since that's long how I've fought. The strength is a holdover from a time in the game when melee damage was usually mandatory if you wanted a full equipment list, and there were precious few non-100% PROC ranged weapons.

As opposed to where we sit now, where there's more options.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 38
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> RE: =AQ= 20th Anniversary Mega Event - Part II
Page 2 of 2<12
Jump to:

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition