Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: Lucky Strikes

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> Game Balance Issues >> RE: Lucky Strikes
Page 4 of 4<1234
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8/1/2024 16:47:39   
CH4OT1C!

@Sapphire:
quote:

I hate the lean system.

Ok. In my opinion, you have not provided a viable alternative. Along with @Telcontar Arvedui I, I request that you back up the claims you've been making. I have responded to your criticisms, and I now politely ask you do the same.

@Dardiel: Ok, your broader soft cap might work, though as I demonstrated in this post, it would need to be kept as simple as possible. Can I assume that the example you provided is representative of the reduction you were aiming for? I'm a little concerned that, since this is a sweeping cap, this would apply to every boss. What if we wanted to implement a boss weak to nukes? Wouldn't this system essentially prevent that from happening?
AQ  Post #: 76
8/1/2024 17:02:50   
Dardiel

The numbers definitely aren't based on any real theory so they're definitely open for debate, but it's definitely a general ballpark that I think seems reasonable. The only real core I'm proposing as a starting point though is basically "soft cap on damage above average, divided among hits, and affected by monster power".

Theoretically a boss could be made weak to nukes in a few different ways that may or may not be feasible - eg lowering the monster's power if that's not a fixed number, or giving that particular monster a reverse soft cap (eg if the system soft cap square roots the damage, the monster status squares it to make the nuke unaffected by the cap), or stunning the monster so that the player gets bonus turns and a sorta-functionally-increased soft cap as a result. My logic is that all bosses should start with the assumption that they can't be completely wiped right away (ie there should be a soft cap that's always present but not taking up scroll space) and then the scroll can be fully devoted to explaining the boss quirks without having half the space devoted to Plot Armor / Freedom / Boss Boost / etc - "weak to nukes" could be a bit on the scroll that would probably be something players are happy to see.
Post #: 77
8/1/2024 18:55:39   
Sapphire

I really think a better approach is to make all lucky strike stacking to base work more like damage. A +20% damage misc is +20% of the damage you're already doing. If 404 is 100% melee, then a 20% add on is taking 20% of 404, then adding it on.

If you had a +40% to base, it shouldn't make it a 50% rate. It should make it 14% rate.

Then in dealing with hypercrit , and assuming we are making it also additive, but make it's stacking rules as current additive stacking is with LS's...so a +40% hypercrit is taking 10% and changing it to a 50% rate.

This would mean Lust + 1 Timekiller goes from 100% LS rate to 34% rate.

Secondly, multiple hypercrits being used needs to be looked at and ensure that they average out properly I have seen some funky stacking, TBH.

For example, if you carry more than one shieldcake and use it's hypercrit option, shield cake 1 + shieldcake 2 = guaranteed LS's. This should not additively stack. It should average or some other type of stacking rules. Maybe instead, it just adds a turn. Another odd stack is when you use snake strike with it's x4 rate for 2 rounds. and then the following turn, use a shieldcake. 1 round of x4 is left, but shieldcake adds x5 on top. This results in x9 rate. Instead, this stack should probably be x4 + x5/2=x4.5. This correction will help correct multiple instances of hypercrit being used.

But this could mean you could stack multiple to base without base growing insanely fast while still essentially needing to use hypercrit to get excessively high rates.

Third, there are a small handful of items that need more 'bubblewrap' with design.

Two in particular,

1. Dragonguard's 90-100% rate for 1 turn should be altered to be spread out over 2 or 3 turns.
2. Grandad should be only allowed to work with it's base element, so imbues to off-element or elelocked armors of off-element will not trigger it's effect. Bubblewrap these things.

Do it like this, you wont have these issues near the level you do now, but lucky strikes aren't so utterly destroyed . Theyre just reigned back and design space opens up a touch.

< Message edited by Sapphire -- 8/1/2024 22:06:24 >
Post #: 78
8/1/2024 22:36:02   
  Ward_Point
Armchair Archivist

I would remind all members who partake in this discussion that this is a Game Balance thread. The standards here are higher than in General Discussion.

If you want to discuss Lucky Strikes in general, take it to GD.

Your claims and ideas should be backed by numbers. You should show your working.
AQ  Post #: 79
8/2/2024 5:42:13   
CH4OT1C!

@Sapphire:
quote:

I really think a better approach is to make all lucky strike stacking to base work more like damage. A +20% damage misc is +20% of the damage you're already doing. If 404 is 100% melee, then a 20% add on is taking 20% of 404, then adding it on.

If you had a +40% to base, it shouldn't make it a 50% rate. It should make it 14% rate.

Then in dealing with hypercrit , and assuming we are making it also additive, but make it's stacking rules as current additive stacking is with LS's...so a +40% hypercrit is taking 10% and changing it to a 50% rate.

This would mean Lust + 1 Timekiller goes from 100% LS rate to 34% rate.

Assuming that I'm following your proposed logic correctly, your calculations are entirely wrong. Under this model, Lust would provide +4% LS rate, since it provides +40% currently and you want all non-hypercrit LS rate boosters to apply relative to the base LS rate. As each 1% LS rate is worth 1.5% Melee (described in the OP), your proposal means that Lust would be providing 6% Melee. Thus, this proposal does not remotely follow item standards and would represent a massive nerf to all non-hypercritical LS rate items. Lust would be far worse than any normal pet, and this is before mentioning that these calculations assume that the player has 250 CHA.

Not only is this idea the second most extreme nerf to non-hypercritical LS rate boosters proposed on this thread (again, the most severe would be @ruleandrew's hard rate cap of 15%), but it does nothing to solve the problem. As you note, Hypercritical LS-rate boosters won't change, completely undermining the nerf to begin with. The only effect this nerf would have is to kill all non-hypercritical LS rate boosters. Why would anyone want to boost their LS rate by 1/10th of what they can achieve with Hypercritical?

Your Lust + Timekiller calculations are also wrong. Timekiller 3:10 provides +10% Hypercritical rate. This means the final figure should be 10 [base] + 10 [Timekiller] + 4 [Lust] = 24% LS Rate, not the 34% quoted.

quote:

For example, if you carry more than one shieldcake and use it's hypercrit option, shield cake 1 + shieldcake 2 = guaranteed LS's. This should not additively stack. It should average or some other type of stacking rules. Maybe instead, it just adds a turn. Another odd stack is when you use snake strike with it's x4 rate for 2 rounds. and then the following turn, use a shieldcake. 1 round of x4 is left, but shieldcake adds x5 on top. This results in x9 rate. Instead, this stack should probably be x4 + x5/2=x4.5. This correction will help correct multiple instances of hypercrit being used

I recognise that the weaker status in this example would already be active in this scenario, but... averaging the two values is a completely unprecedented stacking rule that vastly overcomplicates the outcome. At that point, what's the purpose of even allowing hypercritical to stack? Players would simply apply the more potent Hypercritical. After all, applying the less potent Hypercritical afterwards would actually weaken the status! I assume you intend to increase the turn duration of the status while doing this. Nonetheless, this doesn't change the fact this system would essentially entirely prevent the player from reaching a 100% LS rate unless you had an item which outright guarantees them.

quote:

1. Dragonguard's 90-100% rate for 1 turn should be altered to be spread out over 2 or 3 turns.
2. Grandad should be only allowed to work with it's base element, so imbues to off-element or elelocked armors of off-element will not trigger it's effect. Bubblewrap these things.

I do agree with you here on point one - it would be best to alter Dragonguard's LS rate boost so that it's spread over multiple turns. Granddad, I believe could be allowed to exist depending on the nerf(s) implemented. Regardless, your proposal falls afoul of the same complaint raised by @dizzle against @Telcontar Arvedui I earlier - even if it might be for the best, we don't require that other item effects (e.g., damage boosts, BTH boosts) only apply to base element.

Finally, I reiterate again the calls for you to demonstrate that the claims you made here, here, and here are accurate. That (i) both the lean and the cost based ideas are extreme (or at least considerably more extreme than the ones you are making), (ii) that a significant number of players consider your ideas to be a reasonable middle ground. I would like to add (iii) for you to demonstrate how your proposals intend to solve the problem. As I've laid out above, not only could many of these proposals be considered extreme and possess notable drawbacks, but there are also serious logistical concerns around whether they would even work. Finally, I'd also like to add (iv) a demonstration of why you think the lean system I proposed would make the problem being addressed in this thread (i.e. the power of lucky strikes) worse, to that list of requests.

I also reiterate the call for @dizzle and @Grace Xisthrith to back up their statements too.

@Dardiel: One thing I can think of doing that might resolve my issue with your proposed system is to modify the soft damage cap status so that it directly overwrites the components of your base damage cap for a specific monster. That way, the staff can fine tune certain monsters, significantly strengthening the cap in specific cases. It also means we could selectively remove the cap, e.g., for narrative/plot reasons or for wars.

< Message edited by CH4OT1C! -- 8/2/2024 8:35:56 >
AQ  Post #: 80
8/2/2024 17:08:31   
dizzle

Okay I’m getting demands to provide numbers to back my suggestion. So let’s do it. 1% boosted LS rate should equal 1.5% melee per Chaotic. I assert this could get a 1.25x increase in value. So +1% LS = 1.875% melee. There’s the math. On top of this I’ve repeatedly claimed the stacking should get fixed so as to eliminate overly efficient LS set ups. That’s my suggested fix.

quote:

The same goes for you, @dizzle. Prove that your proposal not "disaffecting disaffect a large number of players via collateral damage" makes it "more reasonable". Define "large" quantitatively, prove that the quantity is satisfied (I'm sure there are 3rd party databases that can help your point), and prove that there is "collateral damage", not "intended nerfs". I will straight up admit whether the points you listed are intended effects of my proposal, or not. Do note that under my proposal, most 1.5x LS-damage-boosting weapons only need to pay 75 %Melee per LS, which can be lowered to 25 %Melee given they're already paying 5 %Melee per turn (mostly via MC).

Do it. Try to persuade me. Otherwise, we'll be at an impasse, as I claim my proposal to be "more reasonable" than yours.

I love your enthusiasm and passion! It’s clear this really means a lot to you!

You ask me, no - demand me to prove that a fix which doesn’t negatively affect a bunch of players is more reasonable than the more radical ones. I feel this should be self explanatory but I’ll try to break it down even more: my suggestion is a proposed middle ground. Definitionally reasonable. I’m not proposing that everything stays the same, and I’m also not proposing that players LS bonus gets a x.1 modifier attached to it with 100% crit rate, I’m not proposing that players get unnecessarily taxed every time a LS lands. I’m proposing a middle ground where players who enjoy the LS stacking niche don’t get their play style gutted.

You demand that I define “large” quantitatively. A quick look at the char pages on the leaderboards will show you just how many people enjoy LS stacks. This is not complicated.

You go on to say that you “will straight up admit whether the points you listed are intended effects of my proposal, or not” I do believe you’ve made your intentions fairly obvious throughout this thread. With comments like:

quote:

Until then, enjoyers of the second niche (the current LS-Hypercrit-nuke setup) can either learn to wean off of it, or suffer worse withdrawal symptoms when the full resolution comes around :evil_smiles:

Ask yourself: Does this sound like someone who is truly concerned with making the game and people’s experience whilst playing it *better?* At face value it appears you’re more concerned with how other people are playing the game than you are about actually coming together to make it better. Your arguments are drenched in whataboutism and you’ve provided precisely 0 constructive criticizing remarks to me or pretty much anyone else. Most of your comments and certainly your last post serve more as a waste of space on this thread than anything else respectfully. Chaotic is being combative but at least he’s providing good feedback and helping illustrate others ideas. I’m actually pleased that he’s going through the effort to really Steel-Man others arguments even if he does disagree. I’d suggest you do the same if you want any type of cooperation. This is how real progress is made.

To summarize my points:
1) Fix stacking so as to eliminate overly efficient LS set up’s
2) Increase the value of LS rate boosting by x1.25 (1% LS Chance = 1.875% melee)
3) Shift the focus from trying to win an argument to trying to make the game better and more enjoyable for everyone

< Message edited by dizzle -- 8/2/2024 17:17:04 >
AQ  Post #: 81
8/2/2024 18:05:19   
Branl

quote:

Okay I’m getting demands to provide numbers to back my suggestion. So let’s do it. 1% boosted LS rate should equal 1.5% melee per Chaotic. I assert this could get a 1.25x increase in value. So +1% LS = 1.875% melee. There’s the math. On top of this I’ve repeatedly claimed the stacking should get fixed so as to eliminate overly efficient LS set ups. That’s my suggested fix.

Proposing rates pay an arbitrary excess to only insignificantly address the usecase of a full Rate/Damage LS stack isn't "backing your suggestion with math". Assuming no other changes, this means that using LS Rate items on their own is only worth it, insofar that you use LS Damage multipliers to, in your proposal, still abuse the massive amounts of free value generated from guaranteeing crit in a multiplier.
So in one fell swoop, you punish players that only invest in LS rate... for no reason, only slightly nerf players using full LS Damage/LS Rate multipliers, which ultimately still doesn't really solve the massive valuation issue of guaranteeing hypercrit with LS Damage modifiers. This nerf is more unfriendly to casual players that most proposals put forth in this thread. This isn't done with concern of "making player's experience with playing the game better", this is done to force the bulk of the nerf on LS rate items to the benefit of abusing it with LS Damage modifiers.

Meanwhile a lean suggestion:
1) Gives players a reason to interact with Hypercrit/Damage Boosts aside from guaranteeing it for massive boosts. This most adheres to Luck's identity, wherein you propose players a deceptively simple question: "How much are you willing to risk for LS damage?" If you want no risk (100% LS Rate), you should get little reward, if you want to fully risk it (10% LS Rate), you should get suitably compensated for doing so.
2) Because of this, you open up design space for reducing LS Rate (basically, halfing it would do what Red Server Cap currently does, only using it is pointless currently because guaranteeing hypercrit with an LS Boost provides a much higher average damage boost), wherein which players can leverage their luck to the extreme to invoke MASSIVE damage (Which seems fair more appropriate for a status associated with the Luck stat. You can even theorycraft mechanics that play around this leveraged risk to either conditionally make it more reliable, or magnify effects of items that interact with LS based on LS rate (since there's no risk of using guaranteed hypercrit to bypass 10% LS Rate expectations, assuming these items are tackled the same way as the lean.).
3) Gives staff a fairly viable "first rollout" solution that could be implemented (in part) in time for designing Gwen's set, in the event that it happens to win, which would open up design space for Gwen's set to be more inline with what post LS fix LS items would look like, and hamper outrage by not having to nerf the set indirectly as serverly after it is made.

< Message edited by Branl -- 8/2/2024 18:16:37 >
AQ DF  Post #: 82
8/2/2024 18:19:22   
dizzle

I have already stated that
1) Any number attributed to the increase in value of LS Rate boosting is arbitrary.
2) I do not believe LS Damage will be an issue after stacking gets fixed

I have already addressed your 2 main points. You go on to say

quote:

So in one fell swoop, you punish players that only invest in LS rate... for no reason

I really don’t understand this? This whole thread is about nerfing LS. I’ve explained my opinions and why I believe what I believe. I have stated multiple times that I believe overly efficient LS Rate stacking is the biggest issue with LS in general. I see no point dwelling on fundamental disagreements and if you’ll notice, I haven’t been chiming in and arguing on that end either. I’ve given my opinion, threw out some crucial details to explain how assumptions work, and then got demanded multiple times to elaborate on my opinion. Idk how else to put it.

quote:

This nerf is more unfriendly to casual players that most proposals put forth in this thread. This isn't done with concern of "making player's experience with playing the game better", this is done to force the bulk of the nerf on LS rate items to the benefit of abusing it with LS Damage modifiers.

This is because I think the bulk of the nerf should be on LS Rate boosting. And it lets the people who like big damage LS retain that play style even though it’ll be a little more costly. I’ve elaborated on this earlier in the thread please refer to my previous posts.

< Message edited by dizzle -- 8/2/2024 21:26:15 >
AQ  Post #: 83
8/2/2024 18:59:39   
Branl

quote:

1) Any number attributed to the increase in value of LS Rate boosting is arbitrary.

This is flat out incorrect. As explained in the opening post of this thread, Lucky Strikes are expected to deal +150% Melee Damage. A 1% increase in chance of getting this damage is simple 150 * .01(1% LS rate) = 1.5% Melee cost. We already know what LS Rates are supposed to be paying.

quote:

2) I do not believe LS Damage will be an issue after stacking gets fixed

The crux of the issue with LS right now is mostly LS Damage modifiers operating as if players have a fixed LS rate of 10%. The only reason they even do this is because LS damage modifiers predate Hypercrit as a status. The stacking issue with LS is a related, but separate problem with multiplicative LS rates compounding on each other and other additive boosts to make it impossible to know what you're actually supposed to be paying.

quote:

Misc: In lacking an elemental component; it'd need either Fire resistance or a non-elemental penalty. Healing based on outgoing damage is already something we're moving away from, and would need an alternative approach. Healing on outgoing crit and multiplying this value by 10, on a set that can guarantee crits, is also something we cannot implement.

In the dev notes of Gwen's suggestion, it has already been stated, in no uncertain terms, that an assumed 10% LS rate on items in a system that allows for greatly defying that assumption through guaranteeing hypercrit, cannot actually exist. This would also apply to LS Damage Rate weapons, but those became issues the moment Dragonguard dropped, so can't put the cap back on the proverbial bottle.

At best, you'll need some sort of strict soft/hard cap that still severely reigns in LS rate (Even 30% would mean a weapon like Granddad should still not modify LS Damage as much as x3, and non weapon based LS Damage items still can't really exist). But I don't actually like this solution, because it punishes LS rate directly when the problem is much more related to the assumption of LS Damage multipliers.

< Message edited by Branl -- 8/2/2024 19:03:24 >
AQ DF  Post #: 84
8/2/2024 19:14:50   
CH4OT1C!

@dizzle:
quote:

Ok, first, thank you for providing answers to some of the questions raised by @Telcontar Arvedui I. Since you have already stated that your proposed increase is arbitrary, I won't press that point. I want to emphasise that I do take issue with this approach when other, reasonable approaches that follow the standards exist, but I recognise that it would be fruitless to push further.

quote:

You ask me, no - demand me to prove that a fix which doesn’t negatively affect a bunch of players is more reasonable than the more radical ones. I feel this should be self explanatory but I’ll try to break it down even more: my suggestion is a proposed middle ground. Definitionally reasonable. I’m not proposing that everything stays the same, and I’m also not proposing that players LS bonus gets a x.1 modifier attached to it with 100% crit rate, I’m not proposing that players get unnecessarily taxed every time a LS lands.

I'm going to tackle the claims of 'middle ground' and 'reasonable' separately. Regarding 'middle ground' - if the requirements of middle ground are (i) To represent a nerf (i.e. reduce the effectiveness of) LSs, and (ii) to provide a cost increase which is less expensive than @Telcontar Arvedui I, then your idea fits these requirements. It does fall in the middle ground between doing nothing with LSs, and the nerfs proposed by myself and others on this thread. However, opting for the middle ground is not definitionally the same as being reasonable. That depends on the ends of the two proposed 'extremes'. As a ludicrously simple hypothetical to prove this point - imagine two mathematicians are arguing the answer to 2 + 2. One argues the answer is 4, the other 6. In this scenario, splitting the difference and calling the answer '5' might be the 'middle ground', but it certainly wouldn't be reasonable!

Let us therefore see what your proposal would actually do. You are suggesting that: The player is arbitrarily taxed to the tune of 0.375% melee for every 1% LS rate they gain. The implications of this for some common items would be:
  • Arms of the Dragonguard's cost for +90% LS becomes 90 * 1.875 = 168.75% Melee
  • Granddad's Greatsword wouldn't change at all, because this is LS damage rather than LS rate and you didn't mention the former. However, I'm going to be as generous as possible and assume that you'd also tax LS damage items. In the event of this tax applying, this sword would now either deal x2.07 LS damage OR cost 37.5% Melee in HP/SP/Other resources.
  • The Lunar Hare items that boost LS Rate by *3 assuming each 5% melee is worth 5% absolute increase in LS rate (essentially the 'incorrect' 1:1 ratio. See OP for details). Under your model, each 5% Melee would now be worth 2.67% rate increase, meaning (as with Granddad), *2.07 LS rate. The Magic weapon would be *1.33 this as now.

Assuming you nerfed Granddad, this would reduce the maximum potential by about half (again, you don't state this, but I'm going with the most generous interpretation). For me, this is still insufficient, as I mentioned to @Sapphire at the start of this thread in the OP (yes, they would still be 15x stronger); that does not seem remotely 'reasonable' to me. However, my biggest issue with this proposed solution (the issue I think @branl was trying to raise) is that unlike @Sapphire's idea, this also comes at the cost of nerfing LS strikes that don't benefit from these extreme interactions. Somewhat ironically for an item-based solution, it's more of a blunt instrument than simply doubling base LS rate and halving bonus damage. The effect of doing this would be to disincentivise players from investing in LS gear unless they fully exploited the gear currently considered problematic. It would also allow this to happen; you would still be able to obtain extremely high modifiers and guarantee LSs under this model, they'd just not be quite as high. If you didn't nerf LS damage options, you wouldn't be reducing the ceiling at all, and the cost increase would be relatively minor (again, you can still guarantee LSs easily as demonstrated with dragonguard - Dragonguard is also a singular item that guarantees LSs).

For these various reasons, I don't consider your proposal to remotely fit the definition of 'reasonable'. It is a blunt instrument that doesn't adequately tackle the more problematic LS interactions while simultaneously also nerfing the ones that aren't really an issue. Why do we need to nerf Midnight Wish Dagger beyond making its LS boost cost what it should mathematically? For all intents and purposes this would have little effect on the players fully taking advantage of these modifiers. You are not proposing that everything stays the same, but you are proposing a mechanic that maintains the status quo.

Until this point, I have overlooked comments such as:
    quote:

I’m proposing a middle ground where players who enjoy the LS stacking niche don’t get their play style gutted.

You are stating that my lean idea will 'gut' the LS playstyle. However, I don't consider there to be any evidence to support this. I have already stated I would maintain LS rate boosters up to those similar to Lunar Hare. I have also stated direct LS boosters are acceptable, I have simply stated that I'm not willing to accept guaranteed critical hits without reducing the additional power provided. This isn't a blunt instrument - it adequately targets the problematic interactions while also allowing others to remain untouched. It's also perfectly generous - you can get modifiers still approaching x10 with the concessions I have made (*3 LS damage as with granddad, *3 LS direct rate = *9 modifier). Frankly, I imagine some would consider my approach to be too generous. I therefore don't accept your insinuation that my approach is unreasonable (if you thought my approach reasonable you would have no trouble accepting it as an option, after all). I would therefore appreciate it if you could explain why my position is particularly extreme or unreasonable, and why it would 'gut' the playstyle.

< Message edited by CH4OT1C! -- 8/2/2024 19:25:09 >
  • AQ  Post #: 85
    8/3/2024 15:24:22   
    Telcontar Arvedui I

First off, since @dizzle refuses to both define his hypothetical threshold of a "large number of players", AND look up a sample to support his claims of the same quote, I have decided to take a sample of the playerbase myself, to see if his claims can be taken seriously. I went through the top 300 token donors of the current summer donation contest (snapshotted at 4th of Aug, 10:52pm, GMT +8), opened 300 tabs of their char pages, and CTRL+F'ed "Grandd" and "Lazg". Yep, two very specific groups of letters, referring to the only items with 3x LS damage boost.

The results - out of 300 char pages,
  • 4 listed both Granddad and Lazgorath in their active inventory,
  • 20 more chars had one of the above weapons in active inventory,
  • Another 20 had (only) one of the above in stored inventory. Surprisingly (or not), no char has both in storage.

That's a range of 8 (if we consider active inventory) to 15 (including storage because some players may be temporarily testing new gear/builds, and/or likes to whip those weapons out once in a while) percent of my sample population who are enjoyers of Granddad and co. Whether it fits @dizzle's criterion of "large numbers" is up to him. I will say that while it is not insignificant, it doesn't fit my personal criterion of "large numbers" - that'd have to be above 20 percent for me. Also, feel free to criticize the bias in my method and sample - I agree it's definitely worth a debate, just that I'll still stand by mine until someone can prove a better and easier methodology by example (i.e. doing it by themselves). Fun-but-not-really-relevant fact, out of the 4 users who mained both Granddad and Lazgorath, only 1 of them also has LS-boosting equipment in active inventory. The remaining 3 do not have any LS-chance-boosters. I will refrain from interpreting this particular observation for now - have fun debating this one, too.

Preliminary conclusion, I disagree that these numbers are large enough. Therefore dizzle's claim, at least in that regard, has yet to succeed in getting me to align by it.

Now onto the "disaffection" part. If the claim is that I set out to nerf the experience of Granddad enjoyers out of spite or malice, that is almost-half true. Almost. My proposal did set out to nerf Granddad and co. And in doing so my proposal will negatively impact the experience of these weapons' enjoyers. I have firmly my reasons behind it in post #43.
    quote:

(When core assumptions of this game) can be easily deviated, subverted or exploited by players to consistently provide quadrupled-or-more returns, instead of just "sometimes bypass(ed)", I don't believe that it is only "slightly problematic", and I don't believe that a do-nothing approach is a reasonable reaction.
    Also, in post #38, I have outlined the intended goals of my proposal, that is to achieve
    quote:

2 distinct niches of LS-damage-boosting playstyles. One uses equipment that offer smaller LS-damage-boosts (1.5x LS damage weapons such as Monolith Mace and Unfortunate Umbrella), combined with longer-termed (2-4 turns) LS-chance-boosts, for a more consistent and sustained LS output by allowing natural resource (namely SP) regeneration to offset the per-turn costs, at the expense of lowered ceiling. The other goes all-in after accumulating enough resources for a big expenditure that results in a LS damage output that completely blows the roof off, brings the house down, etc. etc, at the cost of being nigh impossible to casually repeat that outcome over consecutive turns, again under a reasonable resource economy.

Yes, I am fully aware that I pass the ball into the "resource eco GBI" court, meaning the whole LS issue would take longer to fully resolve - but I am willing to endure such a long-pain scenario. Again, I have faith that the devs will do take the correct measures when the resource eco revamp fully comes around, and thus allowing the first of the two aforementioned niches to really step out of the second's shadow. Until then, enjoyers of the second niche (the current LS-Hypercrit-nuke setup) can either learn to wean off of it, or suffer worse withdrawal symptoms when the full resolution comes around :evil_smiles:

I copied the paragraph and split it to make the context of each half clearer. My proposal intends to properly segregate 2 distinct, equally-valid niches for LS-damage-boosters, thereby improving player choice diversity. I can say with confidence that this aspect to my proposal is unique - no other proposal in this thread, from yours to @Chaotic's, have convinced me that this objective is even considered, even when some of them claim to be "supporting/improving diversity". All of your proposals would have Unfortunate Umbrella (1.5x LS damage) and co. rendered obsolete by Granddad's, regardless of whether LS-damage-boost mechanics are affected. The split second half of the above quote outlines clearly that the final objective of my proposal cannot be achieved independently, nor can it be done within a short timeframe - but I believe it to be a valid tradeoff. The final sentence that @dizzle excerpted, is indeed a joke in poor taste - I'll admit to that. However, it doesn't take away the fact that my proposal has a distinct path on making the game better, even if it comes at a cost of negatively affecting a subset of players - who, I might add, had enjoyed the game at the expense of skewing their own perception about the game's balance and enjoyment.

@dizzle's proposal, as far as I can tell, is similar to the "let's nerf LUK to only provide two-thirds of what it currently gives to LS damage!" line of thought, but went after LS-rates instead of LS-damage. Sure, you can indirectly rein in free value that way, but as @Chaotic stated, it negatively affects just about every LS-related mechanic, while maintaining the status quo of having a minimal amount of valid niches related to LS (only one - boosting LS damage and rates as high as possible). I'd say the 1.25x LS rate cost may be better justified if the proposal looked forward and attempt to consider on-LS effects that are not just extra damage, eg. something like Neo-Airenal's Burn-on-LS. Until then, it seems like a random arbitrary number put forward just so "there is the math" to me.

Unfortunately I am not very creative - any further suggestions will probably look like taking a leaf out of my own proposal, and eventually turning it into a variant of mine. I do agree with fixing free multiplicative stacking (this is the biggest common ground amongst participants in this thread). Then again I disagree that LS-damage-modifiers don't need an independent fix.

I actually think @Sapphire's latest proposal can be valid with a few tweaks. W.r.t. direct LS-rate-modifiers, I don't think it matters whether said modifiers apply to base 10% or 100%. As long as the proper %Melee upkeep is paid, it can be read as "100% increase to base LS rate" or "10% increased chance to LS", you'd still arrive at the same result in a vacuum. I also agree with the Dragonguard bubblewrap, and can somewhat get behind the Granddad bubblewrap, even though it just means LS-damage-boosters are on a slightly slower power-creep trajectory because you'll need all 8 elemental clones. By "power-creep trajectory" I mean that any LS-damage-booster with a bigger buff will still simply eclipse all other smaller-buff equipment of the same item category. Also the bigger the LS-damage-buff, the more efficient they become due to exploiting core assumptions about the game model, so the power-creep still double-dips, unless Sapph finds a new aspect to add into the proposal to address this. But at least 1.5x LS damage weapons get a temporary reprieve, depending on LS-damage-modifiers' future release schedule. So, third in my preference.

That's assuming that the Hypercrit stacking rules get clarified as well. Like,
  • does it extend the duration of the Hypercrit overall, so 1-turn 4x plus 5-turn 2x equals 6-turn 1.67x Hypercrit, or
  • is it based on the longer duration of the components, like 1-turn 4x plus 5-turn 2x equals 5-turn 2.7x Hypercrit, or
  • do we first take the average of the component Hypercrit buffs before basing the duration upon said average, like 1-turn 4x plus 5-turn 2x equals 4-or-5-turn 3x Hypercrit?

I'll be honest, I don't really see a need to provide feedback to every other user's proposal, mostly because @Chaotic has done too good a job at it, most of the time before I have even started reading other users' proposals. I'm sorry I really don't have much to add without repeating the same points.

Closing note for this post - what follows is a few sentences excerpted from post #9.
    quote:

I don’t want to see LS stacks get buried, I want to see the player actually have to pay a significant cost for such a significant reward. I’ve said this a few times but given the massive leaps in power creep over the last year and a half, I’ve change my mind on balance in this game. I think that there shouldn’t be any steps backwards in terms of player power, but instead a step forward in properly and fairly valuing the power the player receives. Like, okay, you want to use granddads sword to deal stupid overkill damage? Fair enough, but you’re gonna have to sacrifice a massive amount of resources or defense. Way more than what we’re currently paying. Again, to re iterate, I don’t want to see the LS stacks buried, I want to see the player actually pay for what they’re getting.
    Taken at face value, I'd say amongst all the proposals put forth in this thread, my proposal achieves just about everything within the quote, with @Chaotic's proposal coming in second (because Hypercrit lean pays damage instead of resources to get better rates). And yes, Sapph's newest could potentially be in the running in my book too.

< Message edited by Telcontar Arvedui I -- 8/4/2024 12:17:03 >
  • AQ  Post #: 86
    8/3/2024 17:40:44   
    CH4OT1C!

@Telcontar Arvedui I:
    quote:

2 distinct niches of LS-damage-boosting playstyles. One uses equipment that offer smaller LS-damage-boosts (1.5x LS damage weapons such as Monolith Mace and Unfortunate Umbrella), combined with longer-termed (2-4 turns) LS-chance-boosts, for a more consistent and sustained LS output by allowing natural resource (namely SP) regeneration to offset the per-turn costs, at the expense of lowered ceiling. The other goes all-in after accumulating enough resources for a big expenditure that results in a LS damage output that completely blows the roof off, brings the house down, etc. etc, at the cost of being nigh impossible to casually repeat that outcome over consecutive turns, again under a reasonable resource economy.

Yes, I am fully aware that I pass the ball into the "resource eco GBI" court, meaning the whole LS issue would take longer to fully resolve - but I am willing to endure such a long-pain scenario. Again, I have faith that the devs will do take the correct measures when the resource eco revamp fully comes around, and thus allowing the first of the two aforementioned niches to really step out of the second's shadow. Until then, enjoyers of the second niche (the current LS-Hypercrit-nuke setup) can either learn to wean off of it, or suffer worse withdrawal symptoms when the full resolution comes around :evil_smiles:

quote:

I copied the paragraph and split it to make the context of each half clearer. My proposal intends to properly segregate 2 distinct, equally-valid niches for LS-damage-boosters, thereby improving player choice diversity. I can say with confidence that this aspect to my proposal is unique - no other proposal in this thread, from yours to @Chaotic's, have convinced me that this objective is even considered, even when some of them claim to be "supporting/improving diversity".

Given this comment, I think it's worth me mentioning that my proposed solution indeed does not attempt to produce two distinct niches for LS damage boosters under the definition you appear to imply above. The reason for this is simple: Under that definition, I do not believe the second of your proposed strategies is valid.

To be clear, my proposal does support the significant investment of power into LS rates/damage (Granddad + 30-40% LS rate is acceptable without penalty. That's a *9-12 modifier). I don't have an issue with investing into LS rate/power for returns, after all. However, in previous statements, you've (i) demonstrated you still believe that it's ok for guaranteed LSs to exist (just that the need to be more difficult to achieve) and (ii) made clear you want to preserve existing damage boosts, just so long as there's an attached cost. This position, to me, is untenable. Not because you aren't paying for what you receive, but because there are natural limits to what AQ allows the player to spend on a single boost. Granddad for example, the bonus is equivalent to 300% Melee. That's worth 1176 SP, 454 SP more than the 722 SP of Drop the B-bomb, the most up-to-date indicator of where damage boosting stops. It's also 392 SP more than Sunscale's Legacy on Paladin. With that in mind: Can you provide evidence to support why the costs that you're proposing should be allowed when, to my knowledge, they clearly seem to deviate (and significantly exceed) recent precedent? Could you not also achieve your goal of two distinct approaches without allowing the modifiers to run so far out of control (even if they are paid for)? Can I also request that you explain the modifiers I propose aren't sufficient to achieve that distinct goal?

< Message edited by CH4OT1C! -- 8/3/2024 17:46:08 >
    AQ  Post #: 87
    8/5/2024 19:55:59   
    Sapphire

Aside from addressing the ease of LS's when stacking (as staff pointed out, it's little cost and all output) once valuations, stacking rules, and altering multiplicative to additive are done (this is what I think will occur, the specifics remain to be seen), I wanted to propose a new game mechanic specifically to address lucky strikes.

I have gone back and forth with what stat should get this, as I see merit for 3 of them. One, being a likely more difficult one to do (dex) But let me explain the idea first, and then I;ll follow up with what stat the idea should work off of.

I know Anim recently made and implemented a status that disables lucky strike damage or lucky strikes for his test monster. Even before this, I have commented on this basic idea, but rather than a status, I think it should be a back-end mechanic. I think the status Anim made could be kept as a random idea on some bosses every once in a while.

However, the mechanic works like this. It's a lucky strike damage negator. You gain a stat/5% rate chance to completely remove lucky strike damage, when it occurs. Essentially, when it works , the stat portion of lucky strikes is set to zero as if the player/monster has 0 luck. 250 stat = 50% rate.

On paper, if a lucky strike happens 10% of the time, this means that when a lucky strike occurs that 10% of the time, half of that time the lucky strike portion of the damage is negated. This means the valuation of the backend mechanic based on 50% rate, which only provides a dice roll 10% of the time, makes it a 5% melee valuation back end mechanic.

However, if negating all damage is a bit much, one can simply make this less than all, make it a clawback effect, etc etc.

The value here is that if players are able to easily (still after some changes) stack ideas and gain rather large LS rates , especially along with +damage ideas, then this "counter" effect would come in more handy for both the player and the monster.

Adding in a new mechanic , I find to be a middle ground because the fix is less about dealing with lucky strikes (which still need to happen) but also bringing in something that provides a counter to it besides just relying on boss mechanics such as damage caps and plot armor and the new Anim-made status.

Now, as for what stat this could work off of, I am torn. I see merit in using Dexterity, Endurance, and Luck.

Pro-Dexterity reasons:

Dexterity in my estimation has 2 big issues still that remain post stat revamp.
    1. Dexterity's proc mastery bonus in reality, excluded FO Rangers. 20 proc et al weapons don't get a big enough boost to justify using them, so FO rangers will almost always just continue to stick with 0 procs, which get zilch. FO rangers got 5% style bonus, where FD rangers using 100 procs got 15%. Any argument against this to me is automatically null and void. It being "by design" as an argument simply means the design is trash. So while making this a dex based feature wouldn't consistute as more style bonus, at least Dex is gaining something to make training it more attractive, especially considering the inequality of the style bonus application. In addition, SP cost for guests have made BeastRangers way worse than before for reliance on guests. I just think dexterity providing for some enhanced agility to help avoid those hits that would cause far more damage (like avoiding lethal lucky strikes) makes some thematic sense when approached from that standpoint.

2. Legacy monsters still have dexterity and this isn't really providing a lot. The stat revamp buffed the player, but left monster dexterity in limbo. Monsters still need something from dexterity, IMO. By making this feature work with dexterity on the backend, and thematically making it fit into what I said at the end of point #1 above, this gives all those old legacy monsters something to hang their hat on..a lucky strike reducer effect . This would curb so much of the 'lucky strike issue' in my opinion.

Pro-Endurance reasons:

Endurance is , as one staff put it on discord once (paraphrasing), maybe in need of going from Mathematically overpowered, yet unattractive to less mathematically overpowered to more attractive. While we will never have universal agreement on how this game should handle different things, and nobody is "right" on this aspect (no matter how anyone feels that they think they are), one of the more common ideas that a large percentage of the playerbase might be on board with is the idea to reduce END's HP's in favor of new ideas . The HP's END provides are superfluous in many ways. While I do think the extra HP's provides for some offensive strategies since the extra HP allowed for offensive ideas gear-wise since those extra HP's provides cushion, I think a small reduction (5%) could be justified to add this. This isn't an attempt to get into the weeds of the old END debates from before, but END is the tanking stat and attempting to redefine it to serve as a means to justify arguments to re-imagine it don't work. So this idea scaling with END keeps with the tanking theme, the actual theme it currently actually holds. I think this could make END feel more attractive.

Pro-Luck reasons:

Well, it's luck, after all. And a %-based system that scales with luck, is kind of lucky. I think that if we're reducing the ease of obtaining such huge benefits from lucky strike-based gear, maybe it should receive something like this as compensation. When evaluating pre-stat revamp luck vs now, luck has actually lost and one could argue, the net result was a wash or even an overall nerf. It would depend on how one valued lucky break, I suppose. Making it luck provides some compensation for dealing with lucky strikes on player-side defense, but further makes lucky striking vs luck-having monsters a further reigning in.

To conclude, I'm not opposed to the idea of re-evaliating lucky strikes as a whole. I just don't think a draconian approach will be hugely popular. You can help handle issues with adding in new ideas like this, which IMO help actually move the game more forward when you add in new ideas rather than always scaling back longstanding known commodities. (nerfs, especially over-nerfs)

Again, the idea itself and how it works and how it scales and what i does specifically and what stat gets the idea can be fleshed out. The 40,000 foot point of view is more or less in how we deal with these issues .
    Post #: 88
    8/5/2024 20:46:33   
    Branl

quote:

On paper, if a lucky strike happens 10% of the time, this means that when a lucky strike occurs that 10% of the time, half of that time the lucky strike portion of the damage is negated. This means the valuation of the backend mechanic based on 50% rate, which only provides a dice roll 10% of the time, makes it a 5% melee valuation back end mechanic.

You're running afoul the same exact issue an assumed 10% LS Rate for Damage Multipliers does.
    a 5% chance to negate a guaranteed hypercritical, is fairly counterproductive in solving any of the problems labeled. To be clear, the base functionality of Lucky Strike isn't the problem, but this proposal cuts the base functionality of Lucky Strike in half, and in exchange, only removes about 21.25% Melee (on average) from Granddad's absurd 300% total valuation in guaranteed hypercrit. This also does absolutely nothing to address the extreme high end of full LS setups, which is an issue in and of itself in terms of designing mobs.

quote:

You can help handle issues with adding in new ideas like this, which IMO help actually move the game more forward when you add in new ideas rather than always scaling back longstanding known commodities. (nerfs, especially over-nerfs)

The unwillingness to nerf blatantly absurd mechanics,is exactly what hinders new ideas, and that's essentially what staff have stated in the sticked balance thread in GD. This doesn't remotely reign in the issue, introduces a BIGGER issue (LS's base functionality being 50% weaker for no reason), all under the guise of wanting to avoid an undefined "draconian" nerf.
    AQ DF  Post #: 89
    8/5/2024 21:22:45   
    Sapphire

Either you choose to take things I say out of context or seem to not care and are willfully being hyperbolic.

quote:

The unwillingness to nerf blatantly absurd mechanics,is exactly what hinders new ideas, and that's essentially what staff have stated in the sticked balance thread in GD. This doesn't remotely reign in the issue, introduces a BIGGER issue (LS's base functionality being 50% weaker for no reason), all under the guise of wanting to avoid an undefined "draconian" nerf.

Who's unwilling? I've never stated anywhere here or elsewhere to just leave things alone. I recognize a nerf is necessary. It's about how far do you go? All the way to mathematical Utopiah? If so how drastic is this difference pre vs post 'fix'? Wouldn't drastically 'resolving' this issue also feel bad?

The best approach isn't to adhere to perceived perfection, because that's all it is. A perception. And unfun.

Anyway, putting mindset aside, It's not a 5% chance to negate guaranteed hypercritical. It's a 50% chance per hit, at 250 stat. Or it's a clawback. Or it's partial negation. W/e is deemed fair, or best. This means if you had a guaranteed LS rate (which I think should be way more difficult to obtain, if not outright impossible), the idea essentially halves it (on average) if the monster has the proper stat. If the monster doesn't have the proper stat, then it does nothing.

This is in addition to other proposals that will help reign back in this issue, and thus, this isn't an attempt to say "leave everything alone and just implement this", which, again ,(hopefully this finally sticks) isn't what I'm suggesting...something you seem to incorrectly think what's being advocated for here, to be clear. (Crystal)

< Message edited by Sapphire -- 8/5/2024 21:25:43 >
    Post #: 90
    8/5/2024 22:12:28   
      Ward_Point
    Armchair Archivist

Here's a quote from one of the old Developers of AQ.
    quote:

GBI is a board that exists for us to get genuine feedback from players about potential balance issues, using good hard mathematical proof to back your case. It is not a dumping ground for soapboxes. If you post a thread here without mathematical evidence, and we disagree with you, it's not personal, and it's not because we hate your build. It's because you didn't put forth enough evidence to prove your case. Next time, make a solid effort to gather all of the data before making your thread.

This extends to discussion.

@Sapphire
    Your post functionally describes a 50% Critical Rate cap. It does not deal with the realities of requiring Plot Armour & Clawback to make a monster challenging.

Again, please consider your ideas carefully. GBI is not a place to throw everything at the wall to see what sticks.
    AQ  Post #: 91
    8/6/2024 7:21:36   
    CH4OT1C!

It's physically impossible for even an entire community to apply the steel man approach to (or even just to consider) every possible solution to the problems raised by this thread. There are an infinite number of potential ad hoc solutions, many of which are undoubtedly feasible. Unfortunately, there simply isn't enough time or energy to make that remotely possible. With that said...

@Sapphire: Rather of quoting the whole idea (which is rather lengthy), I'll summarise the key points:
  • Address stacking rules for LSs.
  • Create a new mechanic: A 'lucky strike damage negator'. Gain Stat/5% rate chance to essentially remove the LS damage component when it occurs. Max 50% rate at 250 [Stat].
  • This means, at 250 [Stat], the enemy can still hit you with LSs 10% of the time, but half of these cases (5%) the LS component is negated. According to your calculations, this should be worth 5% Melee.
  • If negating all LS damage is too excessive, it can be soft capped instead.
  • The basic principle: rather than preventing players from achieving high modifiers, this allows monsters to counter them. This could also benefit the player, because...
  • It's tied to a stat (DEX, END, LUK). You haven't decided which, but see merits in each of...
  • DEX: the proc-mastery style bonus isn't sufficient to properly benefit 20-proc weapons, but your proposal would be a tangible benefit to FO Rangers. Also, many monsters have legacy DEX which is no longer helpful, and this could help to make it useful.
  • END: there's the possibility of slightly reducing the HP END provides (which is largely 'superfluous') in order to accommodate this new mechanic.
  • LUK: it's thematically appropriate. Additionally, you argue you wouldn't need to reduce the power of the stat since we are nerfing LSs at the same time by providing a counter.
    assuming that I have all that down correctly...

Before anything else, we must actually value this mechanic. As in the OP, the LS component of an attack is worth 150% Melee. At 10% chance of occurring this is reduced to: 150/10 = 15% Melee. Finally, we halve this because, according to your counter mechanic, the LS component is removed only half the time at max [Stat]. 15/2 = 7.5% Melee. This is slightly higher than your 5% Melee valuation, but not enough to mean it's impossible to implement as you proposed.

Next, does this proposal achieve the thread's goal? This is an unequivocal "no". It has already been mentioned on several occasions that the existence of counter mechanisms is not an excuse to avoid nerfing overpowered items/mechanics. However, even supposing we ignore this, your cap still wouldn't work. As noted by @Ward_Point, it would only apply a maximum of 50% of the time. The other 50%, you could still achieve overpowered LSs. Of course, this doesn't kill the proposal outright - Telcontar Arvedui I also doesn't intend to reduce the maximum LS potential. However, in their suggestion, that power comes at a high price. In attaching a high cost, there is a disincentive/drawback to investing that much in a LS. Sure, you can still achieve these numbers, but it'll cost you. In comparison, your idea doesn't have a high cost. The total value is 7.5% Melee. If this were a SP cost, a Level 150 Player would be paying 29 SP for the privilege. Soft-capping would only reduce that cost further. And the player wouldn't even be 'paying' it...

You then tie it to one of the support stats. This immediately contradicts your preference for an item-based solution (though some of your other ideas already do this, so I presume it's not a deal-breaker). It also opens the messy topic of style bonuses, which were meant to have been solved with the stat revamp (the majority of ideas posted on this thread do not do this). Regardless, considering each of these proposals individually:

• DEX: FO Rangers already automatically receive 1/3 of the DEX Style bonus (+4.25 bth). As you claim the problem is the proc-mastery bonus, I assume you means you'd prefer (in this scenario) to reduce it in order to pay for this LS counter mechanism. However, I'm going to be generous and also assume you are also open to taking it out of the existing style bonus applicable to FO Ranger too. So, in these scenarios, the proc-mastery bonus would deal:
    quote:

Directly out of proc-mastery: +3.75% Damage
    Paid via +4.25 BTH + proc-mastery: +11.25% Damage

The above numbers apply because (i) The base proc-mastery invests 10% Melee of the style bonus and (ii) This gains a *1.5 bonus since it's a player-controlled trigger. Of course, your mitigation strategy doesn't actually offer FO Rangers any offensive power, just an additional defensive mechanism. The outcome? In scenario 1, FO Rangers would be dealing 105% damage (due to the additional BTH), would gain LS mitigation, and the proc-mastery bonus would essentially be worthless for FD Rangers (you're gaining less power than the base 4.25 BTH even if you have 100-procs). In the latter, FO Rangers would be dealing 100% Melee (lost the +4.25 BTH bonus), would gain the LS mitigation, and FD Rangers would lose their BTH and most of their advantage over FD Warriors using regular melee weapons. On this basis, I believe I can safely say that not only would this fail to benefit FO Rangers in the way you describe, it would actively make them worse. It would also make FD Rangers worse too! I feel this is more than a valid justification to reject:
    quote:

Any argument against this to me is automatically null and void.

• END: This is far more sensible a choice. However, it's thematically inappropriate, and even if it weren't, it will do very little to change the current state END finds itself in. I cannot remotely imagine someone wanting to invest in END for LS mitigation when (i) LSs are already rare, (ii) almost no monsters can increase their LS rate, and (iii) there are a myriad of other ways to reduce incoming damage (elemental shields, barriers, choke, blind, the list goes on...).

• LUK: LUK is the most thematically appropriate target. However, the purpose of the thread is to deal with the overpowered interactions of LSs in relation to rate and damage boosters, not to nerf LUK or base LSs directly. It's already incorrect to justify changes to base stats purely because of buffs/nerfs to items (the only reason Warrior Lean was deemed acceptable is because the staff will not release 100-proc Melee weapons at all). However, you further confuse these concepts. You are proposing compensation to LUK not because of the nerf to LS item interactions, but because you are choosing to nerf LUK as a whole (proposing a stat-based mitigation system) rather than targeting said problematic interactions directly. This is a massive roundabout to circumvent nerfing the item interactions - if you targeted the items to begin with, none of this would be necessary.

Based on the above, I also reject your assertion that this is a 'middle ground' solution. It does not effectively deal with the base problem because the counter is not consistently effective. Neither does it make LS remotely costly to use. It can be implemented, but doing so will either do nothing to help the stat (as in END) or actively make the situation worse (as in DEX).

I chose to analyse this idea thoroughly because I believe it to be the type of solution which is inherently detrimental to steel man. At heart, @Ward_Point is absolutely right. They dealt with it far more succinctly than I just did. Even if it were implemented, @Sapphire's proposal could not solve the issues raised by this thread. It only removes LS damage 50% of the time, when the goal of the thread is to consistently deal with these extreme interactions. We already have a number of feasible solutions, from my lean approach, to @Dardiel's rate modification, to @Telcontar Arvedui I's cost increase system. I'm sure there are other reasonable solutions out there, but the most recent posted here have been practically impossible to implement, ineffective at addressing the core problem, or both. Why do we need new ideas when we can focus on fine-tuning the various good ones we already have?

< Message edited by CH4OT1C! -- 8/6/2024 7:33:55 >
  • AQ  Post #: 92
    8/6/2024 14:35:13   
    Telcontar Arvedui I

@Chaotic, good to see we're finally bringing our private arguments onto the forums

quote:

Can you provide evidence to support why the costs that you're proposing should be allowed when, to my knowledge, they clearly seem to deviate (and significantly exceed) recent precedent? Could you not also achieve your goal of two distinct approaches without allowing the modifiers to run so far out of control (even if they are paid for)?
    I yield. If we go by precedent, indeed I have no firm backing to refute your argument. The best I can offer is a few perspectives that may justify such costs, shaky as they'll appear to be (hence the keyword "may"):

Firstly, LS could be considered a separate category of damage. By separate, I mean "not included in the player's per-turn output value", and "not having a baseline of 100 %Melee". If someone accepts this argument, then given how Sunscale Legacy can triple the player's assumed per-turn output (it reaches 300 %Melee, when the player is expected to deal 100 %Melee per turn), so too, can Granddad be justified in tripling LS damage.

Secondly, hitcount-division. Under my proposal, Granddad only pays the whole 1176 SP if you have a one-hit weapon-based attack that LS'ed. With higher hitcounts, the on-LS-cost will be divided to much more manageable levels.

Thirdly, I refer back to my post #43, where I put forth a compromise - retaining the per-turn-upkeep mechanic of LS-damage-modifers, but tack on the paid-on-LS-cost, with the overall cost properly allocated between the two categories to account for the "base 10 percent LS chance" assumption, as well as deviations from the aforementioned assumption that are achieved via boosting LS chances. Two-part costs already have (non-exact) in-game precedence per Tiger Cannon and Shadowfall Raiment's armour skill. I have already edited a potential implementation with numbers into my original proposal post (#22), but let me put forth another here:
    quote:

Granddad pays 20 %Melee per turn in MC and SP, which is what it already does currently, and pays 100 %Melee - divided by weapon hitcount - for every LS.
    Heck, we could even follow (loosely) the precedent set by Drop the B-Bomb itself, and do something like
    quote:

Granddad pays 15 %Melee per turn in MC and SP to 2x LS damage. Upon LS, pay 150 %Melee if there are enough resources, to further add on 1x LS damage.

Overall, I admit that in-game precedence and convention do frown upon my proposal's intention to pay-cost-on-LS when it comes to big LS-damage-modifiers. And despite multiple possible avenues I have thought of to justify and/or mitigate the amount of on-LS-cost-paid, I do foresee that under my proposal, Granddad and co. may be toned down in order to align with the conventions. Although, in a worst-case-scenario (hard-capping on-LS-cost-paid according to conventional overcharged-spell-cost limits, absolutely no per-turn-upkeep to offset the on-LS-costs), we could still see Granddad and co. being tuned down to about 2.2x LS damage, which should remain hefty enough to segregate the niches.

quote:

Can I also request that you explain why the modifiers I propose aren't sufficient to achieve that distinct goal?

I have alluded to this in previous posts, but let me reiterate here. If we continue to calculate the per-turn upkeep (in part) off of the base chances of success/trigger, which is the conventional core assumption of AQ's base model standards, and which is also what your proposal does not change, then Granddad and co. will always eclipse Unfortunate Umbrella and co. This is because all these LS-damage-modifying items only pay a-tenth of their offered benefits in per-turn upkeep, so unless we get a ridiculously scaled-up LS-damage-modifier, the per-turn costs will very easily be very affordable. Let's put out the numbers - even if the 1% LS boost = 1.5 %Melee aspect (that both our proposals agreed upon) is applied here, Unfortunate Umbrella pays 7.5 %Melee per turn for its 1.5x LS-damage modifier, whereas Granddad pays 30 %Melee per turn for 3x LS-damage. The player naturally regenerates 25 %Melee worth of SP per turn, with an initial SP bank of 100 %Melee at the start of every battle. Just looking at these numbers, without taking into account any other potential item interactions, it already seems like Granddad is worth the extra cost because the player can easily offset the upkeep via SP regen alone, at least until the battle is won. Hypothetically, I'd say we'll need a 5x-or-above LS-damage-modifying item (maybe 4x, if non-MC'ed) before the per-turn upkeep really starts to make its presence felt.

Plus, the Hypercrit lean aspect of your proposal may potentially trivialise the cost difference even further in the long run, since, y'know, players will no longer have to directly pay resources to boost their LS chances via Hypercrit, thus allowing said resources to be allocated elsewhere. You could argue that the lean aspect practically shifts the LS-damage-modifying items to have part of their per-turn-upkeep pay for LS-rates instead, but I still believe that no matter the state of resource economy, under the current iterations of LS-damage-modifying items, there is no proposal other than mine that can segregate and validate the niches.

Not to say your proposal does not improve diversity - our end goals do eventually converge towards the sustained-smaller-output versus one-off-big-output tradeoff. But our methods definitely differ. You choose to use damage-boosting as a direct trade-off currency, and we've just used this argument on other proposals - when you elect to nerf LS-damage-modifiers to curb the output ceiling, you will invariably sacrifice all other modifiers that could never reach said ceiling. I can definitely foresee your proposal eventually creating various niches of Hypercrit across the whole scale - we could potentially see distinct niches of, say, 2.5x Hypercrit versus 7x Hypercrit, along with every scalar in-between. But I'm not seeing Unfortunate Umbrella ever being considered over Granddad under your proposal, unless you choose to specifically target the latter with heavy-handed nerfs.

Oh, and one side-note: I hope that the final iteration of your proposal considers the biggest LS-damage-boost a single item can provide, and adjust your pre-Hypercrit-LS-rate cap so that, under perfect conditions, your proposal can still have an LS output of greater than 1x even if the the chances of LS are guaranteed. For example, say Granddad is not affected. The pre-Hypercrit LS-rate cap should hopefully be no less than 34 percent. Let's put it at 40 percent for easy math. After a 2.5x Hypercrit to reach 100 percent chances of LS, with Granddad, players can still output guaranteed 1.2x LS damage (which equals a total per-weapon-attack-turn output of 280 %Melee, for the other readers who would cry nerf). I know you've repeatedly stated that you disagree with both guaranteed LS-chances and an inflated LS-damage output, so if you elect to disagree with my suggestion, I totally understand.

< Message edited by Telcontar Arvedui I -- 8/6/2024 14:38:09 >
    AQ  Post #: 93
    8/6/2024 16:57:04   
    Grace Xisthrith

I would like to express my opinion that the largest issue in terms of unrestrained player power with lucky strike gear is the multiplicative stacking (for example that a x2 item and +40% item combine to 100%), and that if dev time had to be focused on a single topic, that is what I'd advocate for to be changed. Timekiller alone isn't crazy, lust alone isn't crazy, lunar hare alone isn't crazy, any two of these combined provide dramatically disproportionate output. I'd hope if possible all items could be returned to additive stacking.

That being said, I was curious whether the following idea might be possible. In the steps of game code where lucky strike chance is calculated immediately before attack, add these three equations to the end
    LS Chance = LS Chance-10 (removes base LS chance)
    LS Chance = LS Chance x (2/3) (crit modifiers are 1:1.5. This takes them to 1:1. 2/3s is an example, staff could use any number deemed appropriate)
    LS Chance = LS Chance + 10 (adds base LS chance in, as it shouldn't be affected by any multipliers)
    This would, if possible, solve universally crit rate boosting items giving 1:1.5 output, if that's a problem devs would like to tackle. They could change the input output ratio to any value they wish.
    I would like to again say that I think multiplicative stacking is a much stronger issue than 1:1.5 input output ratios in terms of player power.

If that were possible, I'd assume this would also be possible:
    LS Damage = LS Damage / (LS Rate / .1) x Variable
    This would make LS damage scale with LS rate. I have added an "x Variable" clause, because just like in my earlier post, I believe LS damage scaling to be a small issue in terms of tangible player power, compared to multiplicative stacking. In my ideal world, staff wouldn't simply divide damage by 10 at 100% crit chance, but if they wanted to, and the equations work like this, I assume this would be the easiest way to do it.

It's entirely possible there isn't a final location for LS rate and damage being calculated anywhere in the player turn / game code. If not, then feel free to ignore this post.
    AQ  Post #: 94
    8/7/2024 7:49:23   
    CH4OT1C!

@Telcontar Arvedui I: I concur; while I don't think there's any firm precedent backing your proposed solution, I think you could make a reasonable supporting argument based on some of the points raised. As it stands, LS really can be considered a separate damage component. LUK isn't assumed as part of the player turn model. Neither is it specifically tied to any individual component; Players, Pets, and Skills can all LS. That's one of the major benefits of the idea posted by @Dreiko Shadrack; it would explicitly incorporate LSs into the model, along with all of the associated precedents. With that said, Sunscale's Legacy might be tripling standard output, but only increasing the total by 200% Melee. Granddad, by contast, is adding up to 300%. Of course, you rightly point out:
    quote:

I do foresee that under my proposal, Granddad and co. may be toned down in order to align with the conventions. Although, in a worst-case-scenario (hard-capping on-LS-cost-paid according to conventional overcharged-spell-cost limits, absolutely no per-turn-upkeep to offset the on-LS-costs), we could still see Granddad and co. being tuned down to about 2.2x LS damage, which should remain hefty enough to segregate the niche

The only thing I want to highlight on this is that *2.2 LS damage is still a lot when guaranteed. That said, you are at least paying for the damage, unlike some of the other proposals that allow similar numbers to be reached.

quote:

I have alluded to this in previous posts, but let me reiterate here. If we continue to calculate the per-turn upkeep (in part) off of the base chances of success/trigger, which is the conventional core assumption of AQ's base model standards, and which is also what your proposal does not change, then Granddad and co. will always eclipse Unfortunate Umbrella and co. This is because all these LS-damage-modifying items only pay a-tenth of their offered benefits in per-turn upkeep, so unless we get a ridiculously scaled-up LS-damage-modifier, the per-turn costs will very easily be very affordable. Let's put out the numbers - even if the 1% LS boost = 1.5 %Melee aspect (that both our proposals agreed upon) is applied here, Unfortunate Umbrella pays 7.5 %Melee per turn for its 1.5x LS-damage modifier, whereas Granddad pays 30 %Melee per turn for 3x LS-damage. The player naturally regenerates 25 %Melee worth of SP per turn, with an initial SP bank of 100 %Melee at the start of every battle. Just looking at these numbers, without taking into account any other potential item interactions, it already seems like Granddad is worth the extra cost because the player can easily offset the upkeep via SP regen alone, at least until the battle is won. Hypothetically, I'd say we'll need a 5x-or-above LS-damage-modifying item (maybe 4x, if non-MC'ed) before the per-turn upkeep really starts to make its presence felt.

I get that. This is a reasonable downside to my approach. Making hypercritical into a lean caps the problematic interaction, but ultimately the modifiers to LS rate/damage still apply as if the assumed rate is 10% (and thus, do not cost a lot). If you can sustain a much higher bonus with Granddad, why bother using Unfortunate Umbrella?

However, while I see the niche you're trying to create for Unfortunate Umbrella and items like it, I don't think it's a very big one. At 10% LS rate, Granddad costs 15% Melee in SP to maintain (59 SP at Level 150. NB: I'm assuming we're using fixed LS items that maintain the max 20% Melee effect precedent, which is what Granddad adhere to), and nothing for Umbrella (because it uses the MC). You can obviously indefinitely sustain both of these. Tripling/Quadrupling LS rate under your strategy (basically, the maximum I said I'd allow for direct LS rate boosters), Granddad would be paying between 55-75% Melee (216-294 SP) to use, while Unfortunate Umbrella would cost 15-20% Melee (59-78 SP; 157-216 SP difference). I recognise that you already mentioned you would pass the ball on to the resource GBI. However, while I understand that it's extremely to speculate around future changes, realistically speaking, I cannot foresee a scenario where the player isn't reasonably able to regenerate at least 75% Melee (262 HP/294 SP/392 MP) in resources per round. Mages can do that with MP on every tome in existence. Sensibly, we'd need a minimum of about 5x normal LS rate (95% Melee; 372 SP) before we can even start to consider whether a cost based system might make items like Granddad difficult to sustain. This can't easily be explained away using the cost to boost LS rate either, as they would be needed whether Umbrella or Granddad were being used.

With that in mind...
    quote:

Not to say your proposal does not improve diversity - our end goals do eventually converge towards the sustained-smaller-output versus one-off-big-output tradeoff. But our methods definitely differ. You choose to use damage-boosting as a direct trade-off currency, and we've just used this argument on other proposals - when you elect to nerf LS-damage-modifiers to curb the output ceiling, you will invariably sacrifice all other modifiers that could never reach said ceiling. I can definitely foresee your proposal eventually creating various niches of Hypercrit across the whole scale - we could potentially see distinct niches of, say, 2.5x Hypercrit versus 7x Hypercrit, along with every scalar in-between. But I'm not seeing Unfortunate Umbrella ever being considered over Granddad under your proposal, unless you choose to specifically target the latter with heavy-handed nerfs.

Both of our suggested mechanisms absolutely promote item diversity. Just as with the above quote I could absolutely foresee Unfortunate Umbrella and items like it being a viable option under your proposal. The problem, is that your niche only applies at very high LS rates, when players might not possess the regenerative potential to handle Granddad. This also somewhat runs counter to such a scenario (if you're aiming to maximise your LS rate, clearly you're willing to pay a lot of the privilege). That leads me to question whether such a niche is worth (i) allowing players to reach these extremely high numbers and (ii) breaking with precedent. After all, my proposal can also boost item diversity, and it doesn't need to break with precedent or rely on niche scenarios in order to do it.

quote:

I hope that the final iteration of your proposal considers the biggest LS-damage-boost a single item can provide, and adjust your pre-Hypercrit-LS-rate cap so that, under perfect conditions, your proposal can still have an LS output of greater than 1x even if the the chances of LS are guaranteed.

This could be done with a maximum direct rate boost of 40%, assuming current Granddad:
    quote:

450 / (10/4) = 180% Melee boost (*1.2)

With a nerfed Granddad (*2 damage so I'm underselling), it's possible with a 50% rate:
    quote:

300 / (10/5) = 150% Melee

I personally think it should be capped at no more than 40%. I see the 1x modifier as somewhat unimportant (you should expect to deal less damage when you're trying to guarantee something that only occurs 10% of the time normally), but ultimately it's up to the staff to fill in the numbers they prefer. It is, nonetheless, entirely possible.

@Grace Xisthrith:
    quote:

LS Chance = LS Chance-10 (removes base LS chance)
    LS Chance = LS Chance x (2/3) (crit modifiers are 1:1.5. This takes them to 1:1. 2/3s is an example, staff could use any number deemed appropriate)
    LS Chance = LS Chance + 10 (adds base LS chance in, as it shouldn't be affected by any multipliers)

Assuming that this is actually possible, it would address the problem of LS being a ratio of 1:1.5. It'd bring down the 7.5% Melee value down to 5% Melee, which means the incorrectly valued LS boosters would be brought in line. It's possible you could also apply a similar mechanic to LS damage modifiers. However, I do see a possible problem: While it could make things simpler, this is undoubtedly a botch job. You would need to intentionally make the bonuses on all LS gear in future also follow the incumbent 1:1 ratio. If you didn't, the internal modifier will essentially make the LS boosters underpowered. You'd also be cutting the raw power of all direct LS rate boosters by 1/3, though I presume that this is something you already considered.

< Message edited by CH4OT1C! -- 8/7/2024 15:36:44 >
    AQ  Post #: 95
    Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
    All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> Game Balance Issues >> RE: Lucky Strikes
    Page 4 of 4<1234
    Jump to:

Icon Legend
    New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
    and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
    PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition