Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: Flash help and tutorials, checked daily

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> RE: Flash help and tutorials, checked daily
Page 20 of 24«<1819202122>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2/22/2006 8:06:58   
flsg

Zoltan: that's not a good choice, you should put the new Color code outside, like this:
on the frame:

var colorful = new Color("_root.shapes"); 
_root.bt1.onRollOver=function() {
  colorful.setRGB(0x003366); 
}

or, if you still want to put the code on the button:
on (rollOver) { 
  if(!_global.colorful){
    var colorful = new Color("_root.shapes"); 
  }
  colorful.setRGB(0x003366); 
} 

as a programmer, I don't like to put codes on buttons, and I don't like to create things that already exist
it's just my opinons

< Message edited by flsg -- 2/22/2006 8:07:21 >
AQ  Post #: 476
2/22/2006 13:22:55   
saraid
Banned

Hey, I was just curious as to how you would program a game saving system in flash, i.e. some code that would allow the current player position, their stats, etc. to be stored then recalled later on.
AQ  Post #: 477
2/22/2006 20:37:11   
flsg

saraid: Flash itself can't save things, you need to learn a server-side language
exemple: ASP, PHP, JSP, ColdFusion, etc
ASP is the simplest
PHP is simple and secure
JSP is the hardest but the most secure
I don't know about ColdFusion

you'll also need a database system
exemple: Access, SQL, mySQL, etc
and you must learn the SQL language too

making a real game isn't easy, you know

My flash gallery
my game thread

flsg, proud old member of AQ(still playing :O)
AQ  Post #: 478
2/23/2006 2:26:25   
lil boi blue

im back w00t, but a great site to learn from is called www.flashkit.com well its very messy how they set it up but if you go to tutorials and then to games there are like 20 pages of stuff to learn from
AQ DF  Post #: 479
2/23/2006 11:50:23   
Darklord517

I used flash kit for a long time now
AQ DF  Post #: 480
2/23/2006 19:50:12   
saraid
Banned

quote:

ORIGINAL: flsg

saraid: Flash itself can't save things, you need to learn a server-side language
exemple: ASP, PHP, JSP, ColdFusion, etc
ASP is the simplest
PHP is simple and secure
JSP is the hardest but the most secure
I don't know about ColdFusion

you'll also need a database system
exemple: Access, SQL, mySQL, etc
and you must learn the SQL language too

making a real game isn't easy, you know

OK, notice i said within Flash, I was talking about saving things locally. I already know I need to learn some form of server-side language if I wish player position etc to be saved to a server, makes sense doesn't it? and I'm already in the process of learning PHP. Also, a database file is not necessary so I will not need to learn SQL language at all, information can be saved into something as simple as a txt document, SQL is simply an extremely helpful alternative that allows a more organized and user-friendly approach, but is by no means 'essential'.

It would appear your post was misguided as there is a way to save data locally using flash's Shared Objects function. Thanks to a few helpful people from a different forum I know understand this feature and my problem is resolved.

Also, I find your closing comment patronising and un-called for. I have dedicated time and effort into learning as many programming languages as possible, C and C++, Basic, Pascal, HTML and I am fully aware of the dificulties one might encounter when trying to code something as complex as a game, simply because I am relatively inexperienced when it comes to Actionscript does not give you the right to patronise me in such a way. I would like to see what 'real' games you've made as I'm curious as to what your definition of 'real' is in this context.
AQ  Post #: 481
2/24/2006 8:56:00   
flsg

sorry saraid I didn't mean to insult you

when I say real game I'm talking about game like AQ or DF
a txt document can never save a lot of codes
go find some online games, I'm sure that they all use Access/SQL/mySQL
and I know what you want, so if you use Shared Objets then eveyone who's using this computer can change their data

My flash gallery
my game thread

flsg, proud old member of AQ(still playing :O)
AQ  Post #: 482
2/24/2006 9:05:08   
saraid
Banned

About the saving to a txt document, I was talking theoretically. Obviously, its a lot more feasable to use a database program, but the way you worded your post made it seem as though it was essential.

If I took the last line of your post the wrong way and it wasn't meant as an insult then I apologise for a somewhat contemptuous post.

< Message edited by saraid -- 2/24/2006 9:14:44 >
AQ  Post #: 483
2/24/2006 10:43:33   
lil boi blue

well i dont know that much about scripting but here is a flashkit link http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/Games/SaveLoa-fwe4life-1037/index.php
AQ DF  Post #: 484
2/26/2006 16:14:24   
Darklord517

LBB i might be able to help out here and im quite good at using variables and hittests.
AQ DF  Post #: 485
2/27/2006 10:19:26   
Killer Pup
Banned

quote:

ORIGINAL: da nite slaya

Flsg, like lil boi blue said, check front page b4 u post! (in this case b4 u pm me )

and... im problably the youngest flash user... im 11 lol

and... zoltan... I JUST WANT TO MAKE A SIDESCROLLER GAME!!! NOT MUCH MATH IN DAT!

Mwahahahahaha... my birthday was like 4 days ago (im now 11) I am the youngest! Haha..

EDIT 1: Ohh and i got Macramedia(i dont want to check!) Flash MX 8, and now im not on the tutorial! Yay!

< Message edited by Killer Pup -- 2/27/2006 10:21:35 >
Post #: 486
3/1/2006 17:05:30   
lil boi blue

yeah, its not to smart to announce your age if your under 13, well im 16 so im safe
AQ DF  Post #: 487
3/2/2006 11:22:41   
Darklord517

Lol yeh and does anyone have any tutorials on how o make your character still move but fall off if he falls of a platfrom? (For a Platform Game im trying to make)
AQ DF  Post #: 488
3/2/2006 18:15:25   
saraid
Banned

just expand on the information already given, you know that movement consists of manipulating a shapes x and y dimensions, and you know that you can run conditional tests when you want different outcomes to occur depending on some sort of expression or circumstance. (or at least you should if you read the tutorials in previous posts) just use your initiative with the information you already have and try and come up with the solution yourself, thats the whole joy of programming. If you just ask how to do specific things every time you want something doin, you're not programming, just basically copying and pasting, you might aswell just download a game and play that one if you want to do it this way. Programming requires a lot of initiative, in order to realise your ideas, you must compound and apply the knowledge you already have.
AQ  Post #: 489
3/2/2006 18:20:02   
somebody621

There's two ways to make a platform game. I don't want to put down the code or else post will be long, but the idea is this:
note: I'll only put down one way; it took me long enough to type this
For Object Oriented Structure (code for how to make char jump and fall)
When the movie loads, set variables like if the char is jumping(jumping), and how much he should jump(jumpAmount), and whether he is falling(falling).
Set an interval or use onEnterFrame. and check if the jump button is being pushed.
If the jump button is being pushed and jumping is false, make the variable jumping true.
If the variable is true, make the char go up by jumpAmount, and make the jumpAmount go down.
If the amount he should jump is less than zero, make him fall, and if the jump is lower than a certain amount, make it stay that amount.
If he hits the ground or platform(detect with hitTest since this is only a platform game), and is not falling, make the variable jumpAmount a positive number.
Also, make variable jumping and falling false because he is hitting the ground.
If he doesn't hit the ground or platform, and jumping is false, make jumpAmount 0.
I think that's about it; pm me for the entire code-I've commented it, but at least try to code the thing yourself.
Edit: Nah, I thing you should've learned enough from this thread to determine what I mean. Hope I'm not being a jerk or something.

< Message edited by somebody621 -- 3/3/2006 17:33:44 >
Post #: 490
3/2/2006 18:50:46   
flsg

saraid:
somebody621: wow, did you make this yourself? You must be good...
anyway, do you think OOP is a good way of programming?
AQ  Post #: 491
3/2/2006 19:08:03   
somebody621

flsg: nah, its not all my code. I added on to it to make the code better. I prefer Tile-Based more than OOP, but its harder to explain to people who don't even know how to use an array, for loop, etc.
Post #: 492
3/2/2006 19:13:23   
saraid
Banned

I like OOP, but prefer to do it a different way to how somebody612 has mentioned, and I think that's because I'm used to coding in VB. I prefer to test for hits using equations rather than hitTest function, mainly because I'm new to flash and I'm still getting used to the syntax. Check my post in Zoltan's platform game thread if you're interested in how I would go about it on a general sense, not necessarily in Flash, that basically shows how I'd do it. hitTest is fine for certain collisions, but i think when dealing with a platform game, movement and position should be done through equations involving the x and y coordinates, as this gives you more control (at least, this is how I see it, as I said, I'm new to flash and still don't fully understand the hitTest, so please prove me wrong if you beleive this statement to be untrue). Anyway, I won't explain exactly how I'd go about it, because if it interests you, you can visit Zoltan;s thread I mentioned bove, if it doesn't interest you, then completely ignore me
AQ  Post #: 493
3/4/2006 16:02:41   
short dude of doom

arrgh i neeed help with unfreez my flash trail ran out
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 494
3/4/2006 16:33:39   
lil boi blue

i dont know what the program unfreez is, only flash
AQ DF  Post #: 495
3/6/2006 20:19:48   
Vince Velorn

lil boi blue:unfreez is a animation program that needs gifs

short dude of doom: you need to make the animation you want in paint and save it as gif
gif ruins the picture so you need a program to fix that.
AQ  Post #: 496
3/7/2006 9:02:38   
flsg

lol I just got a weird idea: maybe we can make a contest with no prize, we can show our best flash work, and then we'll have a champion
AQ  Post #: 497
3/7/2006 15:13:52   
ericabo123

hey,im expirementing..how would i make this.. a wall, so your character cant move that high up.

< Message edited by ericabo123 -- 3/7/2006 15:14:12 >
Post #: 498
3/7/2006 16:34:07   
Darklord517

On the line that your division between sky and earth is, convert that line into a movie clip.

Now give your ball the following code and just change the speed to resemble your balls speed:

onClipEvent (enterFrame) { if (this.hitTest(_root.Wall2)) { _y = _y+20; } }

The ball should now bounce off the wall or not go higher.

Change this:
{ _y = _y+20; } }

To resemble your balls speed.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dark Google

You need sarcasm lessons.
AQ DF  Post #: 499
3/7/2006 16:35:44   
somebody621

There are a couple of ways. I'm guessing you're using the standard OOP structure so I'll just tell you that way.
Put the registration point for the character in the lower left corner. I didn't test this code, so tell me if this code won't work
Off topic: w00t! post #500
//put this on the main timeline
//set variables
//note:replace name with your character's instance name
//replace ground with your ground's instance name

movespeed = 5;
groundX=_root.ground._x;
lowestPoint=stageHeight-name.height;

//basic movement
//set interval in which you move
movement = setInterval(function(){
if(Key.isDown(Key.RIGHT)){
name._x+=movespeed;
}else if(Key.isDown(Key.LEFT)){
name._x-=movespeed;
//if the key Up is pressed and the char's lowest point is lower than the ground
}else if(Key.isDown(Key.UP)and name._x<groundX){
name._y-=movespeed/2;
//if the key Down is pressed and the char's lowest point is higher than the lowest point of the stage.
}else.if(Key.isDown(Key.DOWN)and name._x>lowestPoint){
name._y+=movespeed/2;
}
},30);

I think this should work, but again, I didn't test it.
Darklord517:hitTesting makes jumpy animations when used for walls and is generally pretty slow and inaccurate, try to use it the least you can
Also, only use it for top down games or side view, not with movies with 3 dimensions. Lol, there are countless reasons I don't like hitTest.
flsg:I like the idea=P. Would we be able to submit interactive stuff?

< Message edited by somebody621 -- 3/7/2006 16:58:06 >
Post #: 500
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> RE: Flash help and tutorials, checked daily
Page 20 of 24«<1819202122>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition