Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=ED= New Balance Update

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> =ED= New Balance Update
Page 1 of 1012345>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
4/8/2011 18:31:04   
Titan

We've made some calculation changes designed to encourage balance and eliminate boring one-way builds.

First off, we've completely removed the Focus damage bonus that was making OP players even more OP at high levels. The Focus damage bonus worked as intended when it was launched, but as we introduced higher levels, the system that was supposed to balance the game actually made high level players further overpowered. Because the Focus damage system did not scale well, we have completely replaced it with a new balance mechanic.

The new change is the addition of diminishing returns on the following stats: Strength, Dexterity, Technology, and Support.

Diminishing returns means that the more Stat Points you invest into a particular area, the less each incremental point helps. In essence, we've made stats work a little more like skills. Take a skill like Plasma Bolt for example: Each Skill point you invest in Plasma Bolt helps improves the skill, but as you begin putting several points into the skill, each incremental point adds less and less as you reach level 10. Stat points will now work in a similar way.

Stats affect many things so lets use a specific example to explain diminishing returns more clearly. Strength is a good starting example. In the past when leveling up, the system has always required you to invest 4 Strength points to improve your Primary damage range by 1 point. With the new addition of diminishing returns, once Strength reaches 50 points of investment, the stat requires more investment to have the same effect. Specifically, once you reach 50 points invested in Strength, the system begins requiring 5 points of Strength to increase Primary damage by the same 1 point.

The same could be said for a stat like Dexterity. Previously the system required 3 points of Dexterity investment to increase your Defense range by 1 point. With the addition of diminishing returns to the Dexterity stat, once a player invests 50 points in Dexterity the system begins requiring 4 points of Dexterity to increase the Defense range by the same 1 point.

Important things to take away

This change applies to Strength, Dexterity, Technology, and Support

The calculations consider weapon buffs, enhancements, and casted buffs, so applying Level 10 Field Commander to your partner with 100 points of Strength, and fully Strength enhanced equipment will be less powerful than it used to.

Please understand that all players are affected in the same way, so while you may have noticed a small reduction in your primary damage range or in your defenses, keep in mind that all players have experienced an equal shift so your overall power in the game should not shift much if at all.

To clear up any confusion, the new stat progression for all stats can be seen here: Updated Stat Progression
~Ashari

< Message edited by Ashari -- 4/8/2011 20:35:23 >
Epic  Post #: 1
4/8/2011 18:36:43   
edwardvulture

mine increased
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 2
4/8/2011 18:39:55   
ED Prince of Shadows

Great!

AQW Epic  Post #: 3
4/8/2011 18:44:56   
beastmo

well this isnt the best thing added to the update
Epic  Post #: 4
4/8/2011 18:45:21   
BloodRainbow

Titan does this change also affect NPC's ? ? ? ?
Epic  Post #: 5
4/8/2011 18:48:24   
Titan

Yes, NPCs and players alike are faced with the same adjustments, so you are technically no weaker than before.
Epic  Post #: 6
4/8/2011 18:49:36   
Khannibal

Ahahaha score, this is brilliant, wonder how much it'll effect strength mercs at high levels?
But my mage build won't be too badly affected :]
I appreciate this update s opposed to trivia ones, such as banana suits. +1

~Khannibal
AQ AQW Epic  Post #: 7
4/8/2011 18:52:16   
Competition

Reading this cleared up quite a bit.
Seeing as it's only 1 stat more, I'm no longer disappointed.
Great idea.
DF AQW Epic  Post #: 8
4/8/2011 18:54:43   
Wraith

Nice! STR mage, cya!
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 9
4/8/2011 18:57:52   
ND Mallet
Legendary AK!!!

Could you perhaps try increasing the stats to 60 before it requires an extra stat point to increase the effects? 50 is really low since the lowest stat boost I have is 15 and my lowest base stat is 40. At least make dex and tech have 60 or so and keep strength and support lower.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 10
4/8/2011 19:00:58   
Titan

We'll keep an eye on things and as always improve the system if need be. Keep your feedback coming.
Epic  Post #: 11
4/8/2011 19:01:19   
PD

I have a bad feeling about this...

Since the limit is but a static 50, this would adversely affect us in the future as characters gain access to more and more base stats, and weapon stat modifiers. Eventually, it would become a problem. I believe this is only a temporary solution that's only meant to buy time, not eliminate the problem forever.
Post #: 12
4/8/2011 19:37:28   
priest_hidan

noh str mercs are sadly not that affected. i just fought one with "str" 100+44" his primary was "31-38 + 32". Since my resistance was lowered by like 10 points... it was even easier for him to defeat me.
AQW Epic  Post #: 13
4/8/2011 19:41:40   
SCORPIOZZz

^i noticed that :/ but i still pwn em with my blocks :) (with reflex boost over 120 dex :P +10 shadow arts =pawnageee !!! )

@Titan :/ i pm'd NW on monday he ddnt reply back :/ and i really need his answer :(

< Message edited by SCORPIOZZz -- 4/8/2011 19:42:11 >
Epic  Post #: 14
4/8/2011 20:08:49   
Xxbbooxx

i saw this update, went on and i have 3 focus right, which i normally do, however when i strike someone it does a 3? A 3? i thought 3 was your minimum and the focus was added at the end, so shouldn't my minimum be 6? i wasn't sure if this is a bug or not, so i posted it here, since it has to do with this topic.

thanks titan
DF AQW Epic  Post #: 15
4/8/2011 20:19:54   
Ashari
Inconceivable!

^ Focus no longer adds bonus damage to all your attacks. It's only used to calculated robot bonus damage now.

Everyone's minimum damage will always be 3 now.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 16
4/8/2011 20:19:58   
  WhiteTiger

Majestic Feline of AQ3D & ED

@Xxbbooxx Focus is no longer added onto attacks now. It only improves your robot damage as of this update.

EDIT: Ninja'd!

< Message edited by WhiteTiger -- 4/8/2011 20:20:29 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 17
4/8/2011 20:32:26   
ND Mallet
Legendary AK!!!

@Xxbbooxx The damage boost from focus was removed from attacks. So the minimum damage is down to 3 again. Focus still increases Robot damage though.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 18
4/8/2011 20:47:44   
DeathGuard

Nice update Titan, now mages and bh are satisfied but mercs complaint, thats how it feeels to get nerf .
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 19
4/8/2011 20:54:49   
edwardvulture

Can there be something for nonvariums? Focus sort of helped them the most, and now their varium counterparts have attained this new plus 38 zooka, it doesn't seem very fair. I'd like to point out again that there havn't been one single level 32 f2p gun or energy aux.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 20
4/8/2011 21:12:05   
King FrostLich

NO,no,no,NOOO!!!! MY epic minimum damage of 8!!!! Aww shoot oh well at least everyone won't hit hard anymore.
Epic  Post #: 21
4/8/2011 22:19:23   
Shocka

Needs to start at 60 or higher or it is too big on non stat abusers.
MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 22
4/8/2011 22:29:47   
Bunshichi

Mercs get messed up again pains me to see my class affected by this. Those new stat are crazy now if you end up in a 1 vs 2 you might as well say you lost.

< Message edited by Bunshichi -- 4/8/2011 23:38:10 >
MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 23
4/8/2011 23:10:33   
Xxbbooxx

ok, thanks for the answers everyone. not happy though.
DF AQW Epic  Post #: 24
4/9/2011 0:34:49   
Grunstang

ffs, well i'm angry, as is most people. well first reason im angry is i wasted a lot of my time using a calculator to find a good build, completly useless! now that everything is "balanced" i wasted couple thousand in game credits and like 1 hour maybe more. and second of all, whats the purpose of this? if every npc and characcter is lowered is their honestly a point?i have spoken.

and also, whats rong with sup mercs for 2v2 and str mercs for 1v1? yes, they were op, but u can counter it, and also it wasnt only op, it was good strategy and thinking of these mercs.my mian is tech mage and i am rather furious with this pointless update. i hope titan realizes he has made a mistake and changes it back. the more stuff titan adds the less fun the game gets, ive noticed. in the first 2-3 months when this game came out, i was having a blast, losing or winning. so simple yet so fun. now there is agility,bots,new skills,this update,focus and countless useless updates.

Posts merged. Please don't double post. ~Ashari

< Message edited by Ashari -- 4/9/2011 2:02:24 >
Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> =ED= New Balance Update
Page 1 of 1012345>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition