Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

(DF) The Boundless Power of Words Discussion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> AE Fanfiction Discussion >> (DF) The Boundless Power of Words Discussion
Page 1 of 41234>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2/26/2012 17:25:08   
Hiraku Tatlin

The Boundless Power of Words

"I have made a strange discovery that will not be easy to tell. It speaks of a being from another land, another world, whose origins reigns from a place not unlike our own. Even without a place to call home, this otherworldly being has warmed the hearts of this world's people, through hand and claw. It was not until I witnessed their actions for myself that I can truly acknowledge them under my blessing as a true Hero.."

-From the Journals of Lady Celestia, pg.74, footnote 5

Welcome to our humble abode. We have awaited your arrival for a many years, admiring your deeds of bravery and valor over the most deadly of foes. We stopped counting after the 1,512th century, but we are grateful that you have accepted our invitation. Kindly take a seat by the fire where we can offer you a warm seat and the occasional sweet plum pastry. You have piqued our interest, and we would like to reward you with a simple tale. A story as admirable as your own life's novel. But simply reading it would be too easy; this story is one of the many pages of Lore's history. With our magic, we can allow you to take a glimpse into that world of frozen time. Where words hold the same power as a sword, but must be mastered as such. All we ask if that you humor us from beginning to end.

'Tis a fair bargain for a enjoyable tale, wouldn't you say? With the authority given to us as Witches of Happy and Tragic Endings, we invite you to this harrowing tale. Show us a reaction worthy of your title, oh 'Hero of Falconreach'.

Step forward, guided by malevolent magic to a vast and unknown world..

Author's Footnote

This is Hiraku Tatlin. I was interested in doing a new fanfiction that incorporated a interesting type of magic across the six elemental realms of light, darkness, fire, water, earth and wind that can force a type of behavior or 'fate' on another individual. At the same time I am creating an interesting challenge for myself to see if I can tie this element well with elements of Dragonfable's story and a compelling story in itself.

I hope to hear from members of my online community here on what you think about this idea.
Of course, I intend to add a explanation for each contract-based magic and their connection to their respective elemental realm. So far, I introduced light, which ties to the obligation of 'Guaranteed events' when used on a person, place or thing. When its used in the story, the character using it will talk in these letters.

Darkness, used by the second mysteriously-cloaked figure in the story, is incorporated in a special branch of magic that deals with penalties. When penalty magic is used, an 'obligation' is forced to the target that requires them to fulfill a requirement that is now etched on their 'fate' as a result of the magic. If they can't, the magic will inflict a degree of physical, or mental harm on the target. The user of penalty magic has to have alot of magic and skill in their disposal to impose 'obligations' on people as well as being able to set the penalties for not completing them. When a character in the story uses this magic, they will speak in a bolded format in the text of the story .

Fire is a more shrewed-type of magic in that it is associated in combat-based situations. Fire is incorporated into a branch of magic known as 'enforcement magic' that helps to slightly influence the tide of a battle. For example, one of the characters in the story used this type of magic to ensure that those he targeted were unable to leave the area since he noticed the elements of a potential 'battle' happening around him. When someone uses enforcement magic, they will speak with red letters.

As always, I like to hear anyone's comments and constructive criticism.
-Tatlin

< Message edited by Hiraku Tatlin -- 6/3/2012 22:35:04 >
AQ DF  Post #: 1
2/26/2012 17:35:19   
  Dwelling Dragonlord

ArchKnight AQ / OOC / L&L

You don't have to put your story here.

Anyway, I really liked how this story started off. The detail you put into the three mage(-priest)s is remarkably good.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 2
2/26/2012 17:38:09   
Glais

Oh so...basically this is exploring alternative ways of using the Elements rather than just "UUWAAARGH, I BURN YOU WIT DAT FIRES!" and such. Or that's what it sounds like.

Anyhow, interesting so far. Wonder what that creature was...

That old lady totally screams Hama from Avatar:TLA.
DF MQ  Post #: 3
2/26/2012 19:34:39   
Hiraku Tatlin

Thanks for the comments :). You pretty much hit the mark, Glaisaurus_X. I wanted to use a unique way to using elemental magic besides the usual "X burns his enemies with his magic flames without a second thought" motif.

This type isn't just associated with combat, so you'll see alot of magic being used for daily-living and affairs. From daily bargaining from vendors to complicated matters like political word play, only with magic to make things more interesting.

I like to see where this is going, and improve the mechanics associated with 'contractual-based magic' as time goes by (hopefully I find a better name then 'contractual-based magic).
AQ DF  Post #: 4
2/26/2012 20:45:25   
Hiraku Tatlin

Just updated the story. Yup, the first entry was a flashback. How the story leads to that event is the exciting part. What will happen afterwards? Tune in to find out!

*cues some super jazzy Saturday hipster Cartoon show theme*
AQ DF  Post #: 5
2/27/2012 2:41:43   
Glais

Interesting. So I take it "the boy" will be a/the main character. Wonder whatever that thing is that is so unfamiliar with humans.

Humbling and Elemental Lord eh? Considering those things are planet busters apparently, and probably beyond, I wonder what it is they could've done...

Also, I like that these chapters are short. Means it won't take me forever to read in the future xP

I don't quite understand what's happening in the flashback though...

< Message edited by glaisaurus_x -- 2/27/2012 2:48:51 >
DF MQ  Post #: 6
2/27/2012 11:17:24   
Hiraku Tatlin

It's alright if the flashback seems confusing for the time being. Like all flashbacks go, I intend to add events that lead up to it.

..Though of course, I also wanted to find a way to portray the magic of the three mysterious robed ones in a unique but mysterious manner. To the point that it makes the reader wander about what type of magic they are using, how it works, etc. That'll be explained throughout the story. Nothing sounds more fun to read than a cool beginning, eh?
AQ DF  Post #: 7
2/28/2012 17:29:55   
Hiraku Tatlin

Two new entries have been added to the story. More information is given into the magic of Providence, the light-associated magic mentioned earlier in the story, and a new magic is introduced. You also get to see some family relatives for one of the main characters as well.

< Message edited by Hiraku Tatlin -- 2/28/2012 18:23:52 >
AQ DF  Post #: 8
2/28/2012 20:31:13   
Glais

quote:

fact that Alva never brought up the subject of her mother that day.

Shouldn't that be his mother or her daughter?

Besides that, very interesting so far. This rich family reminds me of Miyazaki's works, specifically the Queen's room in Howl's Moving Castle. Very nice.
DF MQ  Post #: 9
2/28/2012 20:40:34   
Hiraku Tatlin

The narration might have been vague in that sentence, so I'll tweak it a bit thanks to your observation.

To clear things up, that sentence was referring to Tekove's mother.
AQ DF  Post #: 10
2/28/2012 20:41:16   
Glais

I know. But Tekove is a boy...right? So it made it seem like Mother Alva was talking about her own mother rather than daughter.
DF MQ  Post #: 11
2/28/2012 20:58:40   
Hiraku Tatlin

Yup. He is definitely a boy. I edited Maven Alva's...reasoning to focus on Tekove's mother in her arguments, and removed the vague wording from the last post.

If you enjoyed Clara's earth magic, I can confirm that because she had to have a in-depth understanding of the Hermaine family before marrying Maven Alva's son, she knows that biologically, Maven Alva gave birth to two children: one girl and one boy. Her daughter is Tekove's mother. Her son is Aunt Clara's Husband. Tekove's mother later gave birth to Tekove himself.

(I just love using the 'magic' from the stories in helping my readers get a better grasp of the story. Don't hesitate to let me know if it would be easier to answer your questions without referencing them)

Edit: I added a quick addition to the 'Disadvantages to using Providence magic' through Maven Alva's discussion with Tekove.
This might help to indicate that her role as 'Maven' is a lot more valuable than meets the eye (and help explain her close proximity to Swordhaven).

< Message edited by Hiraku Tatlin -- 2/28/2012 21:39:19 >
AQ DF  Post #: 12
2/28/2012 21:05:00   
Glais

Indeed, I do like that and the other takes on the Elements. It makes it fit DF but at the same time gives it a far more elegant feel...even funnier since it's mainly about (at the moment) a very proper and rich family.
DF MQ  Post #: 13
2/28/2012 22:03:59   
Hiraku Tatlin

The fun thing about this story is in regards to the 'magic battles', with the idea that the characters are in a magical debate to determine who has the best arguments, like the Court of Law, only with fancy magical effects..and without the judge with the creepy wig.

The catch is that they have to choose their words wisely, and adhere to the standards behind each element their associated with. If they don't, your magic won't work and your opponent has the upper hand on you. The 'battle' between Alva and Clara was just an appetizer. You'll see more exciting battles later on.

..of course, the story is also important too. I haven't forgotten that XD.

< Message edited by Hiraku Tatlin -- 2/28/2012 22:04:32 >
AQ DF  Post #: 14
2/29/2012 2:03:41   
Glais

Well I like that, definitely a different take on DF which I'm more than welcomed to.

And the story seems to be flowing, I don't think you need to worry about forgetting that, you're doing great.
DF MQ  Post #: 15
2/29/2012 16:28:41   
  Dwelling Dragonlord

I take it Mava Alven really commanded Alteon to dethrone Slugwrath in your story?

quote:

If there were any way to describe it, it was…warm.

was any way/were ways

I wonder what fire magic feels like then.

quote:

The fun thing about this story is in regards to the 'magic battles', with the idea that the characters are in a magical debate to determine who has the best arguments, like the Court of Law, only with fancy magical effects..and without the judge with the creepy wig.

Sounds like dragon battles in Skyrim.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 16
2/29/2012 20:02:04   
Hiraku Tatlin

I never would had thought of it that way, but now that you mentioned it, I guess the 'magic battles' do sound similar to Skyrim's dragon shouts.

Thanks, Dwelling Dragonlord for finding that typo. Its easy to overlook those things.

I have also updated the story. The events that occurred in Maven Alva's home might have shaken Tekove up a bit.
AQ DF  Post #: 17
2/29/2012 20:11:00   
Glais

Well, I guess that's logical.
Hm, Lucas seems like a nice enough, nice adding Akriloth in there. I guess DF really doesn't need to follow AQ's origins anyways.
Did AQ even explain how Akriloth got the Orb?
DF MQ  Post #: 18
2/29/2012 20:18:24   
Hiraku Tatlin

Not sure. What I do know comes from Dragonfable, where Demento in the first quest in the Fire Orb saga briefly mentions a town that got destroyed by Akriloth. He also states that Akriloth tricked an adventurer, similar to our Hero in the game to get the orb.

Those two facts seemed to blend well together (how else can you explain why there are no fire-aligned towns in Dragonfable?), so I put two and two together and you get...plot! XD

< Message edited by Hiraku Tatlin -- 2/29/2012 20:19:26 >
AQ DF  Post #: 19
2/29/2012 20:19:14   
Glais

Nice, I love me some references, and that one's actually incredibly clever.
DF MQ  Post #: 20
3/1/2012 12:21:17   
  Dwelling Dragonlord

@glaisaurus_x: In AQ, the adventurer who got tricked by Akriloth is the player.

I have begun to get my suspicions about the characters and their relationships. I wonder if I'm right.

quote:

Hopefully by delaying his inevitable confrontation with his parents, he would have the strength to conjure up a good story where the events that took place at his Grandmother's place was a lot more pleasant than it really was.
'

event, was, it, was/events, were, they, were
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 21
3/1/2012 19:37:42   
Hiraku Tatlin

As the storywriter, I hope I can surprise you with later plot developments..if I'm lucky. A new entry is out, and a new face reveals itself from the shadows.
AQ DF  Post #: 22
3/1/2012 20:09:08   
Glais

Well that was somewhat interesting. Not quite so good as the last few chapters, but it's more of a bridge chapter anyways.
DF MQ  Post #: 23
3/2/2012 10:45:41   
  Dwelling Dragonlord

quote:

They faces looked at their employer for instruction.

What did you try to say here?
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 24
3/2/2012 23:18:06   
Hiraku Tatlin

That might have been a typo. It was meant to say "Their faces (the servant's) looked at their employer for instructions".
AQ DF  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> AE Fanfiction Discussion >> (DF) The Boundless Power of Words Discussion
Page 1 of 41234>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition