Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =DF= DeathKnight Discussion Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: =DF= DeathKnight Discussion Thread
Page 17 of 22«<1516171819>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10/4/2014 7:39:07   
o0deader0o

Just being random here. Wouldn't it be better if DK had a different fighting stance rather than the classic "hold sword with two hands while facing the enemy"?
I mean DK is strong and all... and having a different stance that shows dominance would complement it well. Just sayin'
AQ DF  Post #: 401
10/4/2014 8:10:40   
elite dark slayer

And what stance would that be? Flipping the sword from hand to hand? Balancing the sword on the tip of your nose? Why does the deathknight need a special posture any more than any other class?

DF MQ AQW  Post #: 402
10/4/2014 8:36:21   
DarkLore

Personally I think it's stance is very imposing. Like a "BRING IT ON!" pose.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 403
10/4/2014 8:46:22   
crabpeople

There's nothing wrong with the stance. The only thing that needs an art update in my opnion are the animations of some of his skills because dk does the high swing very often. I hope that when the revamp saga is over we enter the art saga
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 404
10/4/2014 9:00:28   
o0deader0o

Apologies if it seemed condescending to you. I didn't think you'd take it that way.

And funny your examples of classes already have their own poses. Technomancer and MSV already have poses dedicated to their class. Unlike DK which still uses the standard-classic pose.
AQ DF  Post #: 405
10/4/2014 9:26:13   
pitties

Yea the stance is fine imo. However, the way it runs outside of battle is very wierd. Its legs appear too long and wave around way too fast for such a short distance. Looks like he's sprinting against a treadmill... His leg speed should be toned down to match the rate that he covers ground and maybe make the legs bend a little less also to make it look more natural.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 406
10/4/2014 9:28:54   
Zeldax

^Isn't every class like that? The classes we get don't have walking animations, only running... The only exception is if they are actual Playable NPCs, like Vaal.
Post #: 407
10/4/2014 9:42:20   
Mr G W

I think there are more pressing issues than stances and animations :p
AQ DF  Post #: 408
10/4/2014 9:43:27   
elite dark slayer

Yeah, like... when is it gonna be out of preview?
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 409
10/4/2014 9:44:59   
Zeldax

True. I've been wondering why people are complaining about such minor things. Its just a revamp. Its already stronger than what it is before.
Post #: 410
10/4/2014 9:47:41   
Mr G W

quote:

Yeah, like... when is it gonna be out of preview?

Probably when the issues with the passive are fixed
AQ DF  Post #: 411
10/4/2014 9:54:52   
Melissa4Bella
AmeSylph

I just deleted some posts that go far beyond constructively discussing the merits or demerits of others' ideas and opinions. Please keep the name-slinging off of these forums and be respectful of other players' posts. If you have a problem with another player please bring it to one of the DFGD Archknights or myself.

Thanks!
AQ DF  Post #: 412
10/4/2014 10:07:43   
elite dark slayer

Can do, Mel.
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 413
10/4/2014 10:10:41   
Ash

Passive should be fixed. Clear your cache/restart your browser/etc. I spent most of my morning messing with it so I'm going to go have an actual day off now. If it breaks I'll deal with it on Monday.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 414
10/4/2014 10:20:19   
Mr G W

Awesome!

*tests it again*

*fails to break*

Yup, seems the glitches are gone :)

< Message edited by Mr G W -- 10/4/2014 10:29:01 >
AQ DF  Post #: 415
10/4/2014 10:21:43   
Darius

You deserve a nice, long rest, PikachuAsh. Have a nice weekend! xD

I really don't think any of my alts would be the type to save DK as their main class, but it's definitely a class worth using, now! I hope it gets officially released sometime this coming week!
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 416
10/4/2014 12:51:01   
The ErosionSeeker
*insert cheesy pun here*

Would it be fair to grant a few other skills +x (4%?) damage when equipping Deathknight pieces?

As it is now, you need 6 items (that cost anywhere from 6 to 78 quest completions) to raise the power of 1 DA skill to about double its original damage.
Because the NDA equivalents of the Unhallowed set are significantly weaker in power, there is far less motivation, if any for NDAs to get the pieces.

Deathknight possesses a lot of lore-wise and mechanically fascinating items, the Deathknight set fills a very small niche for NDAs even though it's so thematically significant.

Dreadblade should probably have its MP cost increased from 35 to about 50.

Mathwise:
Obliterate is 380% forced crit at 35MP
Dread is 270% at 35MP, 1 crit pushes it to 360% (about even with Obliterate), and at 2 or more criticals, it goes from 270 to 450 all the way up to 540 on 3 crits, which is not too difficult to line up given that the level 80 Unhallowed set plus Spiked Leather pushes you to 70+ crit.

Another thought:
Minion has no purpose due to being outclassed immediately by 3 skills (Obliterate, Empowered Armor at 1 DK item, Dreadblade), and is equivalently defeated by 3 more skills (Unholy Shadow, Soul Slash, Dark Rite)

Not only is it less efficient than Empower at 1 DK item, it gets increasingly less valuable as additional DK items push Empower up further.

It is beaten by a total of 6 skills, 2 of which are even on the left side.
If it was compressed with Soul Reap (another skill that I believe has too low an effect for its position), that would free up 1 skill slot to do an HP-for-power skill, or some other kind of ability.

I think Soul Reap should be using a different animation anyways.
...I think the old DK Darkness Blast had something like dark lightning + thrust + blacken weapon? That seems pretty thematically fitting.

Ash, if it's possible, could you experiment with some sort of shadow intensity skill that turns the Necropresence counter forward additional turns?
Most of the Necro and Paladin combination / upgrade skills are pretty much covered, and unless MP regen is a thing that DK is allowed to have, most of the ideas have been exhausted.
DF AQW  Post #: 417
10/4/2014 13:51:17   
Veral77

Is the only benefit of wearing full DeathKnight still only that one attack?
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 418
10/4/2014 14:10:12   
vishal

^Yes

Except now these accessories are end game and something that can be easily utilized in the inventory even when we are not using Deathknight
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 419
10/4/2014 14:13:11   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

The attack in question can Crit for over 1,000 damage at level 80 when used in conjunction with Soul Reap and Inspire Weakness. I don't think that's a whole lot to scoff at.

@Erosion: The fact non-DAs are getting a full set of anything is actually pretty significant -- especially since the items can actually reach level 80, a trait that very few non-DA items can boast. The only powerful non-DA item in DragonFable's end-game is really the Aika Backguard. Whether or not you would like to use the set piece Cloak instead of the Backguard really depends on whether you want the added defense or extra attack power.

Empowered Armor Strike and Dreadblade have the same Mana costs and the same damage potential. The only difference is that one is broken across multiple attacks, and therefore is less likely to have the whole attack Crit at once. If Dreadblade were to receive an increased cost of Mana, it is only logical that Empowered Armor Strike receive the same treatment, and Death Knight's Mana costs are already quite tremendous without it.

As for Minion... It isn't really supposed to be anything special, I think. It's meant more or less to be filler so you can dish out some extra damage while your other Skills are on cooldown.

AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 420
10/4/2014 14:35:08   
Ash

Alright. Before I even go into your suggestions I'm going to put this out there. Why are you, again, waiting till the last minute to try and suggest things? Why was this not presented when you went into the Multi and reasoning why you wanted it changed? You obviously had enough time to dig into the class then. Why are you waiting till NOW, when the class is done and ready to roll out on Monday? I don't want to have to put into place a "after X amount of time has passed no further skill set altering changes, barring game breaking bugs, will be done" rule but if I have to to make sure you all test it and present your ideas in a proper time frame and don't drag it out, I will. Next time collect your thoughts and post it all at once. Don't spread it out unless there's a really good reason. I was mildly irritated before, now I'm actually upset.

quote:

Would it be fair to grant a few other skills +x (4%?) damage when equipping Deathknight pieces?

As it is now, you need 6 items (that cost anywhere from 6 to 78 quest completions) to raise the power of 1 DA skill to about double its original damage.
Because the NDA equivalents of the Unhallowed set are significantly weaker in power, there is far less motivation, if any for NDAs to get the pieces.

Deathknight possesses a lot of lore-wise and mechanically fascinating items, the Deathknight set fills a very small niche for NDAs even though it's so thematically significant.

The purpose of the Non-DA items was not to give them access to the Empower skill or more damage. As I explained in another thread it's to give them a full set of level 80 gear, something they haven't had yet. That should be the only motivation they need to farm for them.

quote:

Dreadblade should probably have its MP cost increased from 35 to about 50.

You're basing this around a crit chance. That is not a valid reason to increase an MP cost as that's not what MP costs are balanced around except in the case of guaranteed crit skills. By that logic every skill on the class should have a higher MP cost because they all have a large chance to crit. No.

quote:

Minion has no purpose due to being outclassed immediately by 3 skills (Obliterate, Empowered Armor at 1 DK item, Dreadblade), and is equivalently defeated by 3 more skills (Unholy Shadow, Soul Slash, Dark Rite)

Not only is it less efficient than Empower at 1 DK item, it gets increasingly less valuable as additional DK items push Empower up further.

It is beaten by a total of 6 skills, 2 of which are even on the left side.
If it was compressed with Soul Reap (another skill that I believe has too low an effect for its position), that would free up 1 skill slot to do an HP-for-power skill, or some other kind of ability.

I think Soul Reap should be using a different animation anyways.
...I think the old DK Darkness Blast had something like dark lightning + thrust + blacken weapon? That seems pretty thematically fitting.

You haven't grasped the purpose of Minion. By that train of thought I should get rid of Crusading Strike and Familiar on Pally and Necro. This skill is EXACTLY the same and has the EXACT same purpose. More damage than a base attack on a low cooldown for little mana. Some people aren't going to use the DK set, so I have to keep them in mind when I'm designing the skills. For them this skill is worth more than Empower.

quote:

Ash, if it's possible, could you experiment with some sort of shadow intensity skill that turns the Necropresence counter forward additional turns?
Most of the Necro and Paladin combination / upgrade skills are pretty much covered, and unless MP regen is a thing that DK is allowed to have, most of the ideas have been exhausted.

No.

< Message edited by Ash -- 10/4/2014 14:36:28 >
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 421
10/4/2014 14:40:48   
DarkLore

GUYS! Leave Ash alone! Let's get back to discussing the class instead of thinking of ideas that either aren't practical or too late to implement. Rest easy Ash. I love DK! Just to change this subject... It will be well worth the wait to hopefully save it Monday. Its a very good class that has tanking potential.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 422
10/4/2014 14:56:43   
pitties

I really like the spinning slash animation on the last skill on the right side. I think some of the jump slash animations would look better as a spin slash.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 423
10/4/2014 15:29:53   
Mr G W

The class is good as it is, i don't think more changes are needed. (Just noticed the multi cooldown was reduced by 1, nice!)

I look forward for its launch on Monday.
AQ DF  Post #: 424
10/4/2014 15:50:34   
The ErosionSeeker
*insert cheesy pun here*

Empowered Armor is 18 cost.

Even though NDAs get a full set of things that can reach level 80, they are quite underwhelming.
Aika Backguard is quite ahead of SDKC 80, and I'm willing to gamble that there are still multiple pieces of equipment that beat the other pieces, as well.

Keep in mind that in comparison to the insane power of the Unhalloweds, the Shadowed gear is significantly weaker, a great deal less than the expected drop in power when comparing things with clear DA equivalents, like the War Wolf / Dragon Wolf, as well as the Thankstaking Carver / Dragon Carvers.

In short, there's a lot less motivation to get those than there is for DAs, whereas things like the Aventail you get even if you aren't using SW because it's very powerful by itself.

quote:

Alright. Before I even go into your suggestions I'm going to put this out there. Why are you, again, waiting till the last minute to try and suggest things? Why was this not presented when you went into the Multi and reasoning why you wanted it changed? You obviously had enough time to dig into the class then. Why are you waiting till NOW, when the class is done and ready to roll out on Monday? I don't want to have to put into place a "after X amount of time has passed no further skill set altering changes, barring game breaking bugs, will be done" rule but if I have to to make sure you all test it and present your ideas in a proper time frame and don't drag it out, I will. Next time collect your thoughts and post it all at once. Don't spread it out unless there's a really good reason. I was mildly irritated before, now I'm actually upset.

There is no way this is not pointed at me, so I might as well answer it.

A reason? Of course there's a reason.
I don't have the time to be working out every combination of skills, every bit of math, and every little detail the instant that the class is released.
I was looking forward to getting the numbers on Monday or some other relatively early time in the week so I could see if there's any quick swaps with the numbers to make things more fluid.

Did I have enough time to make ideas? Probably.
Does just having an amount of time actually equal idea creation? No. That's not a fair equation. Just as you don't have enough time to test new ideas very late in the testing phase, I physically can't have time to create ideas two days into the release.

This is a back-and-forth, no different from any exchange of thoughts and practicalities.

quote:

Testing will go on for as long as it needs to. If people are still trying to test it it'll go on another week. Hopefully the explanation of why the ele comp isn't higher will let people make a more educated decision on what they feel is best in terms of giving me a definitive suggestion but DK testing can go on till next Thursday honestly and it wouldn't bother me.

This is the statement that I looked at when I thought of this.
You said that it could go on as long as it needs to, and I saw a change that I wanted to see only today.

You're upset about this and it's not fair for me to hold you to this, but then what's the point of prolonging testing if you want people to stop throwing ideas after Tuesday?

quote:

You're basing this around a crit chance. That is not a valid reason to increase an MP cost as that's not what MP costs are balanced around except in the case of guaranteed crit skills. By that logic every skill on the class should have a higher MP cost because they all have a large chance to crit. No.

My reason for believing that Dread should have a higher MP cost than Obliterate is because Obliterate is forced crit. Really, at any stage of the game, forced crits are a way to both increase damage, and to prevent damage from exceeding a barrier. Obliterate hits that barrier, and since Dread does not, Dread has the ability to go beyond 380 by as much as 42%.
You reach 30 crit at about level 50+. You reach 50 crit at 60, and 60 at 70. At 80, it's not unnatural to get to 70 crit, which essentially means that by the time you get past level 50, Dread will on average, constantly be stronger than Obliterate.

Because of this, Dread should be more expensive because the skills have the same MP cost, and therefore there is no reason not to use Dread in any situation that requires 35 MP.
Dread has higher damage potential, therefore it should have higher cost. That is my belief.

quote:

You haven't grasped the purpose of Minion. By that train of thought I should get rid of Crusading Strike and Familiar on Pally and Necro. This skill is EXACTLY the same and has the EXACT same purpose. More damage than a base attack on a low cooldown for little mana. Some people aren't going to use the DK set, so I have to keep them in mind when I'm designing the skills. For them this skill is worth more than Empower.

Crusade and Familiar on P/N serve different purposes.

Crusade is a high damage skill enabled to NDAs very early into training Paladin. It doesn't do anything else because it's NDA-enabled. Combined with the rest of the new NDA Paladin, it's a very good change.

On the other hand, Familiar's biggest use is in conjunction with Seed. Familiar has the highest damage increase on the class, so Seed - Boon - Final - Familiar deals some of the highest damage in the class's rotations. By getting Seed to land on a Mage / Warrior / Berserker, Familiar deals between 480 and 640 damage.

In short, Crusade is an NDA skill while Familiar is a big combo piece. They're significantly different from Minion, which is just a 175% damage skill.
If it was like the old Call Minion, which dealt fixed damage based on your DPS, then that would be different because it would have a distinction from all of the other skills.

Now, it doesn't.

< Message edited by The ErosionSeeker -- 10/4/2014 16:42:25 >
DF AQW  Post #: 425
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: =DF= DeathKnight Discussion Thread
Page 17 of 22«<1516171819>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition