Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Into Pandora's Box(An Interest Thread)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> Role Playing General Discussion >> Into Pandora's Box(An Interest Thread)
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3/25/2014 15:14:07   
Arthur
How We Roll Winner
Dec14

Hey guys,

I've been thinking and although I can't RP here, I'v been creating concepts. This one's actually pretty big so let me into it.

Into Pandora's Box

Plot:
When a Mage's Spell that was supposed to seal the Gates of Rheithr goes awry, he ends up ripping holes to multiple dimensions with different eras and technology ranging from ancient to ones that we never thought possible. The people, the creatures indigenous to those dimensions start to venture across all dimensions freely by means of Gates.

Initially, this does not cause much trouble but after a while, things start to take a turn for the worse as cultures fail to intermingle resulting in some major issues across these dimensions.

The Mage calls out to the Heroes from across the world and to answer his cries for help, we cross our boundaries and join him.

But can we, Heroes from different worlds, different times, of different species and a variety of talents come together to save the world? Or perhaps, all these endangered worlds?

The Purpose:

The Mage needs a few ingredients, one from each world to brew the exact same potion. Only then can he shut these Gates and balance be restored. But the task is most difficult and will require the Heroes to give their all.

Setting:
The fun part.

The setting, the timeline, the era changes from world to world. As does technology and everything.

The Worlds Involved:

This is the best part of the RP. Why don't you guys pool in and make a couple for your Heroes?

I haven't thought of a format for world-building yet so if anybody could help.

Here's a couple I made:

The Tower is a small world which mostly consists of markets and inns. Very few plants grow here and only one city exists. This city, however, is a complete Tower standing in the middle of this desert land like a phenomenally huge needle. It's a vertical city that currently stands at a height of more than 10000 feet. It contains houses, markets, barracks, and a whole Royal Block taking the top 1000 storeys. Aren Lavez, a Faussian by race hails from The Tower.

Some other worlds are:

Rheithr, The Living City, Void Courts, The Depths, etc. Etc.

What can you guys come up with?

Character Bio:

Working on it.

The doubtful part is that eahc world will require its own IC so of course I'll restrict the number of Worlds to like 5 or 6. I don't know if AKs will give me permission. I really hope they do as it is a big project and has something in it for everyone. A Multi-RP of sorts.

What do you guys think?
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 1
3/25/2014 15:29:54   
TJByrum

Why would each world require its own IC?

Are you planning for the characters to team up and stay together? If so, only one IC ought to be needed, right?

I was interested by "Pandora's Box", but I can see that this isn't Greek-inspired, although it is still an interesting concept. It reminds me of HeroScape, which I was interested in here a bit back. I was thinking of a character, a warrior who is from a world reminiscent of the ancient world or medieval times. His world is being overrun and destroyed by another more advanced species. So he's in a tough spot, and he's desperate to close these gates.

Then I thought of an evil character, who would work with the team and eventually betray them and probably die at the hands of his own team mates to keep the gates open so he may conquer all the worlds.

And finally, I had thought of using my Ziori, a race I had created for a fantasy RP many years ago; they're like a mix of Dark Elves and Protoss Dark Templars. This Ziori in particular acquire some future-like blade weapon which he uses with his fantasy-inspired combat.

But I think the idea could be interesting, although it has the potential to be 'messy' with more than one IC.
DF AQW  Post #: 2
3/25/2014 15:34:29   
Arthur
How We Roll Winner
Dec14

Hmm... I guess that if we do stick together as a team, we will need only one IC.

But the question is, will everybody be interested in RPing as a team? It reminds me of Schizo's RP.

I am not saying teams get bland, but they do get slightly restraining from time to time.

I guess, a team it'll have to be. So just 1 IC should do.

Yeah, as for Worlds, how many worlds do you reckon would be proper?
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 3
3/25/2014 22:27:35   
TJByrum

Well, I just thought we'd be a team, I didn't know we had a choice.

Also I think there should be at least 1 world for each player-character. Then a few more (3?) unique places that none of us know about. If you want team-play to be less-restrictive, give the players a set of choices and decisions on where to go, what to do, and how to do things while still staying in the confines of the story. If they want to split up, let them; if they want to go solo, let them.

But that's up to you.

Edit: my Ziori character will probably have a plan to migrate his dying species to another world, then close the gates and his people would have a new home. My human character would be a pacifist prince from the Kelios Empire who has a bronze gladius and bronze helmet, as well as a bow. He will obtain a specialized shield and acquire specialized arrows (explosive, grapples, etc) to use.
DF AQW  Post #: 4
3/26/2014 6:20:41   
black knight 1234567

I vouch for a Steampunk/Cyberpunk Victorian world in terms of aesthetic. Favorite setting, for me. It still has the steampunk feel, but with the dystopian qualities of a good Cyberpunk tale. My character will be extremely selfish, he's just looking to reap the benefits of the turmoil this all will cause.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 5
3/26/2014 9:56:06   
TJByrum

A world of my choosing would be something 'ancient', not very advanced, where people use bronze and iron. But that is pretty cliche and unoriginal, right? My human character also seems pretty cliche, so I'd probably go with my Ziori. As a Ziori, my world would probably be a fantasy world, but in a decayed state, and the Ziorii are a dying breed. My Ziori character will pass through one of the gates for several reasons, bust mostly to see if it can lead to a world they can rebuild on.

Other world ideas:
-A futuristic setting where robots have completely destroyed all organics and now live in rigid fortresses around the barren wasteland of their world, fighting non-stop and rebuilding their armies.
-A cyberpunk/steampunk place like Black Knight mentioned.
-Alien world with strange hive-centered aliens on it.
DF AQW  Post #: 6
3/26/2014 11:14:57   
Arthur
How We Roll Winner
Dec14

Concepts up:

Rift o' Steam: This is a city floating above what seems to be a sea of steam. Consisting of several mechanical islands connected by Steam Jump Pads and bridges for the old people, the Steam is the sole power source of all that exists in this world. There are absolutely no plants and animals. The species living here are a combination of Steam-operated Bionic men and normal human beings.
More details needed

The Living City:This is a city that has grown out of the body of a massive Gybolg Space Dragon that swims in Space. This beast is so big that it has its own atmosphere and vegetation growing on it. The Dragon swims in such a manner that its back is always towards light while its underside is in darkness, lighted only by gas lamps growing out of its body. On its back live the Light Draconics while on its underside live the darker, more twisted counterparts.

So, what say?
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 7
3/26/2014 13:01:58   
Legendium

Again, this seems similar to the Pendragon series.

Well, why not take world ideas from there then?

-A world that's slowly decaying because all of it's citizens are immersed in their own virtual realities.
-A world where humans are a sub-race, viewed as livestock that cannot think, though they can and a rebellion is brewing....
-A world where a business grew so big it dominated all other governments and institutions, becoming the tyrannical rulers of the world and forcing people to play in their sadistic games for "entertainment"
-An underwater world where a plague is destroying their farms and the one last hope, an island hidden under the sea is about to be sabotaged.

Those are the most interesting settings from the books, but there are more.
DF MQ Epic  Post #: 8
3/26/2014 13:20:24   
TJByrum

@Arthur: How does Rift o' Steam survive without plants? What do the occupants eat?

@Legendium: the underwater world sounds very cool. I remember the Mahri storyline in BIONICLE. Mahri Nui was once part of the above-land continent known as Voya Nui, but it broke off during the Great Cataclysm and sank beneath the sea. The Matoran who lived there survived because their city was surrounded by an air bubble. Arthur, take note that I am very interested in an underwater world of any type you can come up with.

Since we're all taking about worlds far different from just an average spherical planet, I have gotten another idea. The Ziorii once lived on there home planet, but it was plagued by destruction and famine. The world would surely fail to sustain life, so the Ziorii decided to construct this massive World-Ship. The World-Ship is this huge, massive ship that the remaining Ziorii live on. It has these massive domes on the top of the ship and inside the domes simulates the 'outdoors' of their home planet. The middle of the ship is where the Ziorii live, while the bottom of the ship is for storage, hangars, etc. The Ziorii, out of desperation, constructed starfighters to defend their World-Ship, and have some of the greatest pilots in their galaxy, but the Ziorii are a dying breed, and it won't be long before the World-Ship itself fails to support the last Ziorii. Once again, my Ziorii will attempt to cross through the gates and find a better place to live for his people.

Another idea for a world is one that is inside out. This world is completely hollow on the inside, and the 'core' of the planet floats in the middle of this hollow sphere, acting as its 'sun'. A strange anomaly reverses gravity, so everyone is being pulled 'up' onto the solid surface. If one tries to dig a hole out of the hollow world, the gravity will pull him through the hole and into the vacuum of space.
DF AQW  Post #: 9
3/26/2014 14:43:21   
Arthur
How We Roll Winner
Dec14

I haven't read the Pendragon Series so I wouldn't know.

But then again, in my conceptualisation of the worlds, I am focusing more on their vividness and their significant features. Once we start going deeper into the RP, then we'll get to know the deeper aspects of the Worlds' Status.

@TJByrum, the occupants in Rift o' Steam survive on most everything synthetic. The food there is artificially synthesised using the Steam sea as both a thermal supplier and after rapid condensation, as a liquid as well. That's why, going Bionic is a very good option. Although, I wouldn't suggest our Heroes try that.

Because its mechanical, Ro'S is unforgiveable and cold. It is emotionless and rigid in every way. A week there will make you want to jump into the Sea of Steam and just keep falling.

So in the inside-out world, the core is pushing people away? This gives me so many ideas.

The Depths: This world is set in the watery planet of Qua 'del Lia.

With the base being a massive bed of solid corals, the Depths is a city which stays true to its name. The City is tied to a pair of Leviathan by means of Orichalcum chains. The Leviathans sleep for 6 days and on the 7th day, awaken and drag the city from the sea bed to the surface where it stays afloat for 1 day before being dragged down again.

Orichalcum is a prime mineral found in the Depths. The coral foundations naturally spout it.

The Depths are home to the Lia species who are amphibious in nature, although, having stayed underwater for too long, they have lost most of their terrestrial features.
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 10
3/26/2014 17:43:14   
TJByrum

That makes more sense Arthur, heh.

The Depths sounds cool, except I am curious about whether or not the city is completely submerged in water or if it has air pockets. I know the Lia are amphibious and could survive in both air and water, but I was just curious.
DF AQW  Post #: 11
3/26/2014 17:51:41   
Arthur
How We Roll Winner
Dec14

In a submerged state, the city does not have any air pockets.

However, the planet lacks the concept of water pressure, or rather, its different to that of Earth so if you cross the Gate into 'del Lia and the city happens to be in a submerged state, you better hope that there is a Lia hero in your team or that an occasional Lia happens to spot you OR you know some water magic. Lest you drown.

If, however, the city has surfaced and you happen to be there, better strike an agreement with one of the Lia so that he/she can charge you with some breathing apparatus before the day is over and the city begins to sink.

There's a lot of dynamics involved in this RP. Since it is ultra-open, you have to make the right moves. You don't know how one or the other specie acts and in order to survive in the worlds, you know 2 things, knowledge of that place and survival skills.

The former can only be provided by natives and the latter... Well, you are Heroes, right?
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 12
3/27/2014 10:01:24   
TJByrum

Sounds interesting and I hope this roleplay goes through. I'm interested the most in how characters will react to each other. To many times have I seen two characters see each other and say "hello strange person whom I've never met, let's team up and work together cause I trust you", which I dislike cause it throws dynamic out the window. I like the dynamic that can play out between two characters, especially when they're polar opposites. When you get two strangers and throw them together, you have to think realistically - what would they do?
DF AQW  Post #: 13
3/27/2014 13:42:35   
Arthur
How We Roll Winner
Dec14

I too was hoping that we could get this RP to work here but considering the stagnant state of the RP section, I am afraid it would die without a trace.

Also, I haven't passed my Third Step and frankly, I really don't feel like it anymore. My confidence is down to the dust and I don't think I can do it again.

Maybe when the System changes again in the next 3-4 years, I'll come back and then put it up.

EarthLost: This is a world everyone is familiar with but over the years, has changed for the worse. Forests now dominate 50% of landmasses while the water level has fallen unbelievably in the last thousand years. Most locations are subject to eternal winters while others survive in scorching heat. Governments are a thing of the past and a new species, the Homo Nocturnus have made their presence known.
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 14
3/27/2014 14:21:18   
Legendium

quote:

Once we start going deeper into the RP, then we'll get to know the deeper aspects of the Worlds' Status.

But the world's status affects what it looks like.
The virtual reality one, for instance is very significant because of how abandoned it is. The entire world is a ghost town because everyone resides in the virtual reality Pyramids. Perhaps you could even make another world next to it that shows the world when it's completely abandoned, inhabited now by humans that have been reduced to animals aside from a few paradise islands that maintain order.

The situation affects the appearance of the world. In the place where humans are a sub-race, the culture could have evolved wildly differently, making for unique architecture and a very interesting world.
DF MQ Epic  Post #: 15
3/27/2014 14:30:05   
Arthur
How We Roll Winner
Dec14

@Legendium, I meant as in the finer, more detailed Government situations.

Every world has its own way of existing, not necessarily similar to that of Earth. How they exist, we'll know once we visit them.

How, for example, are you supposed to have a government on a Space Dragon? I don't know, maybe you can. We'll know once we've been to The Living City.

Some worlds are taken in by the natural order of things. The people there are not willing to go against nature by inventing something that will only bind them.
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 16
3/28/2014 9:48:25   
TJByrum

@Arthur: Well what other RP site are you a member of? I 'quit' the Forbidden Forums for several reasons, but I'd be more than happy to see a familiar face on another forum.
DF AQW  Post #: 17
3/28/2014 11:06:25   
Arthur
How We Roll Winner
Dec14

@TJByrum, I am thinking of quitting it too seeing as it has become nothing but a cesspool of negative emotions.

I was betting on these very forums as my lifeline but with the coming of the new System, I've been forced to look to other options.

Let me PM you.
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 18
3/28/2014 11:44:55   
black knight 1234567

PM me too, yo. I've got an RP itch. I've also got relatively no interest in Forbidden anymore because it's become a huge ''waah pity me''
Blah, off topic, but back on topic: why make the thread if you have no interest in making the RP, though? :P
Also, how about a traditional, Tolkien like/Dungeons and Dragons settings?
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 19
3/28/2014 11:52:10   
Arthur
How We Roll Winner
Dec14

Ah. Don't get me wrong. I am very much interested in making the RP here. I learnt how to RP in these very forums so it is only fair that I give back to it.

It's just that I've lost confidence. The Change was like a massive wipeout that changed everything. And so, at the current state, I can't MAKE anything here.

Seeing as the RPGD is the only section open to everyone, I come here.

Anyways, about the Setting. There's numerous worlds involved which have different settings. Which one are you talking about?

I'll PM you.

You guys too can suggest a few worlds if you are itching to do so. Any level of description is allowed. Any format is allowed as well. Any Race, any technology. Anything you guys have is welcome.
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 20
3/28/2014 12:11:02   
black knight 1234567

Not referring to a certain world, but a suggestion of mine. I noticed all those unorthodox worlds, and I thought having a classic roleplaying setting would be a nice touch, too.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 21
3/28/2014 12:14:27   
Arthur
How We Roll Winner
Dec14

So, you mean, having the overall setting of the RP be limited to tech that's medieval/Tolkien type?

I guess we can do that. Infact, I think doing that will limit OPness and maintain a neutral balance between the characters. Great suggestion although you'll have to guide me on the D&D part as I am not into it
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 22
3/28/2014 12:26:59   
black knight 1234567

Yep, something along those lines. Also, not much to D&D that you don't see in most traditional medieval roleplaying games. You know, dwarves, elves and humans. Dwarves are great smiths, elves are great at archery, a standard, basic setting to contrast the games other unique worlds.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 23
3/28/2014 12:29:23   
TJByrum

I think he means a world like Tokien-fantasy, not necessarily the whole world.

Besides, I was looking forward to seeing how my bronze-equipped warrior would be dealing with a space-faring alien with unbelievable technology..
DF AQW  Post #: 24
3/28/2014 12:34:41   
black knight 1234567

Think of it as a video game. The main hub would be this Tolkien world, and then from there you got all those branching, other worlds. The bulk of the story will be in the main hub, but the other worlds won't be eliminated from the equations.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> Role Playing General Discussion >> Into Pandora's Box(An Interest Thread)
Page 1 of 212>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition