Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: ~*Getting To Know You*~

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> Role Playing >> RE: ~*Getting To Know You*~
Page 10 of 11«<7891011>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2/1/2016 22:50:26   
Sigil

Custardy lumps of hairless, altered flesh dotted sections of the landscape, the odd section of bone showing through in places. Mostly small piles; the remains of the odd squirrel that fell from its preferred tree, a stray dog that, in a panic, dove into a ditch full of the awful rain. Other lumps were larger, though. Some almost as large as himself, sporting familiar shape of limb.

Not everyone managed to get indoors before the searing rain took their lives and defiled their corpses. Keystone noted with revulsed disappointment that, if the rain were connected to himself or the other outlanders, they may be indirectly responsible for the deaths of these people.

That very point, the possibility of connection, cemented within Keystone his desire to learn more about the phenomenon. Wherever the Goblin's place of higher learning was, he had to get there. Whether the learned faculty of the established scholars therein were inclined to assist was another matter entirely, one that would have to be addressed after they arrived.

Therein lay his problem: Having a pack full of quartermastered traveler's gear, foodstuff, personal effects, extra clothing, and cooking wares, plus the addition of a couple hundred pounds of infernal jerky and Hellhound sausage, even a man of his physical prowess wouldn't be able to get very far without help. Earlier that morning, he thought that he had found a possible solution. His present walk into the scarred and uncertain town among the trees was to confirm this.

After a short walk, Keystone happened upon the object of his search - a lone bay mule. Unfortunately, an older gentleman in a large, straw hat seemed to have found it first. The elder man had a look of familiarity with the animal, marking him beyond Keystone's doubt as the rightful owner. He also had a look of solemn, prideful defeat. The rain, no doubt, had caused the local tremendous losses. Being an generally intimidating guy, the pugilist knew he had to play this interaction with more gentlemanly tact than he was ordinarily accustomed.

"Oy there, old man! Thought I saw that sodding beast whilst I was pissin' out a window! Let's you 'n me have a chat, eh?"

A few minutes later, Keystone could be seen headed back to the tavern, leading a marvelous creature behind him. A large bay, seemingly bred from draft stock. The powerful body of a work horse combined with the thick skin and small, dexterous hooves of its braying relations; shorter snout with thick, grinding teeth and long floppy ears, a beautiful brown with black snout and hooves, mane and tail. The often overlooked and highly underestimated beast of burden, guaranteed to be a more healthy, agile, strong and constitute than its purebred family, the Draft Mule. A pack saddle, standard and functional, adorned the back of the creature, and its reigns were a quality but commonplace rope.

Keystone led the beast up to the tavern, hitching it to a stout plank of the front deck. A slight smile adorning his face, he re-entered the building, walked straight up to the bar, and assaulted his breakfast with the pride of the victorious.

"Right, things're tough 'round here. Man lost a lot last night, was willing to take enough money to get 'im and 'is out of town on the quick. I'm all for heeding example."

The large man crammed a whole egg into his face, pausing just long enough to almost finish chewing it to continue, "I'd be loads happier if'n I can find a quality leatherworker sooner or later. Guy says there ain't one in town, not for my needs, anyhow, and I'll be needing a proper coat."

He drank deeply of his now perilously strong (but cool) black tea, called for honey, and kept talking to whomever was listening at the time. Keystone seemed in good spirits, considering recent events. Maybe it was simply the fact that, for the first time, he was about to do something proactive about his circumstances. Maybe it was the acquisition of the fine animal just outside. Either way, he seemed a man on a mission.

"Her name's Molly. The mule out front, I mean. And no, she ain't for eatin'." He stopped for a moment, unsure completely as to the nature of the company around him, but remembering a group he ran with a few years back. "Not for anything else, neither."

He turned back to his breakfast, paying special attention to his cooler, very sweet black tea. "...might be something to this beverage..." he mused, ever the culinarian.

< Message edited by Sigil -- 2/2/2016 5:56:04 >
AQW  Post #: 226
2/2/2016 19:05:09   
Krey

It wasn't long following her question that the large man, the one who'd gone fist to face with the fiery beast the night before, spit out a concise, albeit informative, summary of the night's events from the hellhound on – to her ears, specifically, stood out the bit about flesh-eating rain. She tossed a glance over his way for a moment, pausing to be sure she'd heard him right—she had little doubt she had—and humphed. That didn't sound like the pleasant night she'd expected would follow the fight with the great flaming beastie, but it made her more than a hair nervous.

As if sensing her modest disbelief at the claim, the goblin—this one's name she remembered—Nilburke, popped his head in the door to confirm and explain a little, even as he... yes, he was indeed relieving himself on the wall. She smirked at that. Corrosive rain, drinks and conversation. An eventful night if ever there was one.

And now there was talk of moving on to the place Nilburke had mentioned before—Hrah Thorn, he called it. Seemed as good a bet as any with all the strangeness going on, and she was always down for a visit with some, as the goblin put it, rigid types. They were the most entertaining to heckle and taunt.

She requested some fruit from the barkeep for her breakfast as he made one of his passes, and turned her gaze to the goblin, nodding her agreement. “I'm down for a trip. Few things as exciting as learning what great event is trying to kill us, and there's something to be said for telling the story later on. You know, if we make it through.”
AQ  Post #: 227
2/3/2016 10:40:59   
Draycos777

Arche located her bag and pulled out an odd metal puzzle. She returned to the window, as she tried to remove intertwined, metallic loops from eachother. Taking in a breathe of air that flowed from the opened window, Arche noted the slightly almost sulfur-like smell. It was probably from the burnt ground from last nights rain fall.

“Well, I guess it’s a good thing. I do not feel safe amongst the kind that constantly tries to apprehend me, much less when even natural phenomena seem to be coming after me."

Her kin's voice drew Arche's attention, and she turned to look at her. Arche's eyes, however, started to drift downwards as she realized her kin wasn't clothed. Arche quickly turned her head away and looked down, a light tough of red on her face. Even though she still had her clothes on, she could still tell the difference between the too of them.

"Ugh, do I really have to wait 70 years to look like that? This is unfair. I'm probably older than everyone here."

"Well, as natural as acid rain can be. Let’s go find something to eat when you’re up, I’m hungry.”

Arche pulled on the metal loops for a bit to regain her composer, and then spoke up in dragon tongue since it was only the two of them and she didn't see the need to use common at the current time.

"Sure. It'd be nice to get out of town too. I'm curious about the origins of the acid rain too. Maybe that place the goblin mentioned has an idea or a way to protect ourselves at least. If it happens again, I'd rather be able to defend myself if I get caught in a place without shelter."

Arche removed the loops from one another then turned to walk out the door.

"-But first things first. I need to---no"

The metal loops made a clinking sound as they hit the floor.

"No..."

Arche stormed out of the room. Almost tripping as she missed a step on the stairs.

She finally made it to the commons, and ran straight for the tavern's front door. Everything else was ignored. There were probably other people in the commons, but that didn't matter at the moment.

"No, no, no, no no!"

Bursting the door out of her way, Arche ran around the side of the tavern to where she had tied up her catch of yesterday. What awaited her was a giant pile of melted flesh and unsalvageable body parts, oozing some kind of bile. Arche put her hands on her head as small grunts escaped her.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAA!"

Arche's scream split the peaceful quiet of the town. Or her roar, or maybe a death cry. Anyone's guess would be good enough since Arche herself didn't know what had came out either. It was a mix of anger, pain and regret all in one.

Arche reached for her scythe only to realize she had left it in the room. This did not help the situation at all. Black scales with purple hues, began to appear around the back of her neck and ears. Arche's eyes slit and she gained her wings and tail. Looking for something, anything she could take her anger out on, the biggest and closest thing caught her line-of-sight; the unfortunate tavern.
Black flames began to surround her hands as she punched the the building. Once would have been fine for the wood that the tavern was made out of, but of course, one never punches something just once if they are truly mad.

"A whole year wasted!"

Punch

Crack

"The only reason a came to this out of the way town!"

Punch

Splitter

"I had to put up with all that bull, and for what now!?"

Punch

Groan

Arche's next punch sent her fist into the commons, as well as made a nice ventilation hole to let fresh air in for the patrons.

Taking deep breathes, Arche stood there for a second before removing her hand from inside the tavern. Arche looked at the remains of the Grabbi. It would need to disappear, but right now wasn't the time. She wasn't in the mood for anything at the current time. Reentering the tavern, Arche put a few coins on the bar to pay for the damage, then found a chair. Plobbing down as if the life had been drained from her, Arche sat there for a moment before, with an 'ugh', her face meet table.

"I'll have whatever tea he is having."

A phase that was said lazily, to no one and everyone at the same time.
AQ  Post #: 228
2/3/2016 16:10:17   
Afina
Weaver of Epic Yarns

"Then it sounds like we have at least somewhere to go instead of sitting around here twiddling our thumbs and waiting for the next bad thing to stumble across us. Least now, it will have to hunt us," Sana half chuckled and half groaned. She had a feeling the previous day was just the beginning of their bad times but shed rather not wait around to see what showed up.

Home she would wander from place to place, taking on various jobs and choosing which adventures she wished to go on. Now she was just trying to get home so she didn't have anymore grand adventures. Perhaps she just should have taken on those missing goat contracts? I mean seriously, biggest thing she'd have to worry about then is the occasional headbutt to the rear end.

"I guess," she began but was cut off by a rather vexed scream and what sounded like someone creating match sticks out of whatever they could get their hands, feet, claws, what have you on. Turning she perked a brow as Arche's fist came into the tavern.

"And people say I over react," she chuckled before giving a shrug and grabbing a bottle of alcohol from the bar and a glass. Stepping over to Arche she poured the woman a drink and set it down before her, along with the bottle.

"Just in case one isn't enough."

Turning, she grabbed her bag and headed for the door. "I'll be back shortly, going to see what provisions I can get together for our little jaunt out," she said with a wave as she exited the building.

Sana wandered a bit, first taking a bit of stock in her mind of what she had for trade and what all could be useful for them. Silver in her realm was says useful but it seemed not many here carried any for tactical use. Was running into one hellhound really with out fitting an entire group? Or was it better to be safe than sorry? Oh well,cage really wouldn't know until she found a smith and in this place it didn't seem likely that even if they had one they would be skilled enough to work with silver in such a manner.
Post #: 229
2/3/2016 20:50:59   
Sigil

The tea-slurping human monolith known as Keystone sat in silence, watching the scene of frustration and rage unfold. Far be it for him to interrupt a swath of destruction, though.

Hell, were the situation reversed he'd have to harness the living crap out of his chi and meditate really frigging hard to find his center, connecting his various spiritual energy ley lines and several other interesting, pseudo-metaphysical things he barely believed in himself to prevent his anger from wrecking his surroundings into kindling, setting the place ablaze and urinating on the ashes.

To put it differently, Keystone sympathized with the aristocratic dragon-kin. It was a surprise to him, really. The lumbering guy turned back around in his barstool, procured another ceramic cup and waved over the barkeep for another kettle of boiling water.

As it turns out, most reputable restaurants and roadhouses, for pragmatic reasons, keep a large pot of water on a simmer. Luckily, this one did too. A fresh kettle was available momentarily, ready to be tinged with just the right amount of rich, black tea. Keystone prepared another cup and brought the entire set over to Arche's table, thunking one down in front of her. He casually took a seat nearby, seeing to his own tea.

"A little something relaxing from home. Mind y'self, it's a little brasher than you're accustomed to, likely. Honey?"

Keystone took a loud sip from the steaming liquid and exhaled with satisfaction. "So tell me, why was this creature so bloody important?"

"...got me a mule this mornin'..."

AQW  Post #: 230
2/3/2016 21:53:38   
Apocalypse

The general consensus seemed to be in favor of heading out to Hrah Thorn. Exceptions included Ember and Thief, who were not present to voice their opinions, and the Ambassador who had yet to cast her vote as she had been preoccupied with putting her fist through a wall. Nilburke scratched his chin as the softscale dropped a few coins on the counter in reparations. It was interesting how a couple pieces of metal could just be enough for a drink while a few others could be used to hire repairs for a house. The amount in the materials must be staggering, otherwise it meant softies had no sense of scale when it came to cost.

"All right, let's not dawdle then," the goblin said after Wheat took her leave. "Hit up the town for whatever supplies you may need, gather your stuff, visit your places of ill repute, whatever it takes to get you ready." Nilburke began to scoff his breakfast, speaking between mouthfuls with surprising articulacy. "I want to be on the road in no less than an hour. Burning daylight is a terrible use of the resource." He gulped a large mouthful of the tea, taking a heartbeat to enjoy its flavor. "And someone make we bring a lot of this." Stuffing the last of the food on his already packed mouth, the alchemist drained the remnants of his tea and made for the door without another word.

After a dozen steps out of the tavern, Nilburke second-guessed the wisdom in jamming his face so full. The tea had been soaked up by the mash that had once been breakfast. From top to bottom his mouth was filled with a sludge that was the awkward middle ground of everything held in his jaw. Chewing became useless, but something about the texture just made it difficult to want to swallow. He fought with his pride for the better part of his walk through town until the mesh broke down to a point that it slid down his throat unprompted in tiny amounts. By the time the goblin had located a tailor, the ooze had shrunken to a point of a simple mouthful. HE swallowed hard before pushing his way inside.

From first glance, it was obvious that this business catered to a richer crowd. There was a simple elegance to everything: from the ornate wood on the door to the painting and decor on the walls. A smiling bald man had looked up and come over to greet his new potential customer. His eyes fell at the sight of the green-skinned rapscallion but perked back up when the small fellow raised a teal gemstone in-between two fingers.

"Ah yes, my little sir," the bald man began as he clasped his hands today. Twice I've been called 'little sir' in two days, Nilburke thought as he ignored the buttering up of the tailor. Such uninspired folk 'round here. His wandering gaze must have set off some bell in the bald man of uninterest as he jumped to the point. "So what is your preference, little sir?"

A grin spread across the alchemist's face. "Pockets. Lots and lots of pockets."
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 231
2/4/2016 16:02:24   
Shadownightninja

Horrific screams echo through the seemingly endless, purple abyss that is the Void. The deep, dark sky's swirled with unknown energies mixed with large behemoth-like demons, that soared along the skylines. The crippling sound alone held the power to shatter minds in its terrifying might. The roar snapped Caine back to his senses as he assessed the problem at hand. He was entirely unsure of how he could have miscalculated to the extent of opening a rift, directly into the bosom of a void dragon, much less one that can only be called a Broodmother. The beasts giant figured radiated with a disgusting purple aura that weighed heavy on Caines being. It had been some time since he had fought a void dragon face-to-face. Even the last time he was lucky to escape with his life. Getting close to this monster would be entirely impossible but Caine had never relied on his own physical strength for a fight before. Suddenly Caine opened a dimensional portal with a 5ft diameter directly to his left. As he did this his mind shivered in pain. He hoped this would buy himself some time to escape.

"Agriche...." Caine cursed in some long lost language. "This will more than likely infuriate the beast....." He mumbled as he yanked one of his most beloved creations through the newly made rift.

The pale yellow portal quivered as a fleshy, disfigured horror was pulled from the window, just as it closed. Caine tossed the lurching, 4ft long body in front of himself. The corpses hide seemed nearly identical to that of the Broodmother that stood before him. It was in this moment that the hulking monstrosity recognized it as the flesh of a fellow void dragon. Exploding in rage, the Broodmother lunged toward the pitiful thing that had been her kin, and severed it's body instantly. In nearly the same instant she rushed toward Caine, who had already began to make his escape through another of his portals. The beast lashed out with claws that radiated pure void energies.

A choking Fog filled the air of the thickly forested wood. With a loud thud, Caine found that his portal had opened himself about ten feet above the ground. After plundging hard into the sturdy earth that littered this realm, he sat himself up attempting to assess his surroundings. This was not his destination though it held a familiarity that scratched at the back of his mind. Either he had become extremely rusty, which he found highly unlikely, or something had interfered with his dimensional energies.

"Damn it all." Caine thought as he began to look over his body, only to find a large and deeply burned cut that traveled down his right arm. The beast had bearly nicked him but for a void beast, that's all that's neaded for a fatal blow. A millisecond slower and he would have been fodder. He chuckled at how useless his Second Skin had been to such a formidable foe. Opening a small portal, Caine pulled out a cloak, which looked like patchwork skin, and wrapped it over his large and fear inducing visage. He needed to mend his wounds, and rest his mind for quite some time if he was able to keep his grip on his sanity, that at this point was already full of tormenting memories of the unrealms. He needed to find a place to heal and he needed to find it fast if he where to find out what had the power to effect his rifts.

And so Caine walked through these dark, and faintly familiar woods.

< Message edited by Shadownightninja -- 2/4/2016 16:06:20 >
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 232
2/7/2016 9:30:02   
Starstruck

"Um. Should this hole be here? Because if it ain't, I can, um, go through the door...oh, whatever, I'll just come in then."

A haggard-looking face peered through the freshly created entrance to the tavern, followed by the rest of a tall, bulky woman. Her hair was tied up in a severe bun, and her plain cloth dress caught and tore on the rough edge of the hole, prompting a stream of barely-whispered curses that would cause even the heartiest sailor to feel a sting of vague indecency. Through the hole, it was possible to see a mid-sized pony tied up in the stable, and a cat curled up patiently on its rump, one eye open to watch for mice.

"Oh! I clean forgot to ask!" said Jane, a flush of embarrassment rising to her cheeks. "It's okay to have Firecracker in here right? I mean, this place ain't big, but he's a good boy." Firecracker, a large dog and a very good boy, sat attentively by Jane's side, wagging his tail and woofing softly at the mention of his name.

Days in the past:

"Mooooooom!" The cry came from the woods at the edge of the property this time. With a quick order barked at one of the nearby young men, the sturdy woman was off in a flash. Her youngest, Rhys, was a time bomb, she thought, as she made her way to the woods at a brisk walk. It was only a matter of time before he hurt someone else or himself with his inquisitive nature. While a part of her wanted him to shape up, to behave as well as his brothers, another, motherly part of her cherished his creativity and free spirit, as much trouble as it caused for her. She only yearned that he would learn to be safe, not to go tangling with the dangers that lay off the property.

As she had suspected, the wiry Rhys had managed to scale a tree on their side of the property and was clinging for dear life to one of its limbs as it bent dangerously towards the earth. Judging distance quickly, she instructed the eight year old boy to let go of the branch. However, there was no need; with a huge crack, the limb split from the tree. Jane was forced to react instantly, snatching Rhys cleanly out of the air and dragging them both away from the falling branch, which struck the ground with a massive thud. The shockwave unbalanced Jane, who accidentally dropped Rhys, but it was fine; he was safe. In for the tongue-lashing of his life, but safe.

Which is more than she would have been able to say if she hadn't been there...or if the limbs of this old, dead tree were sturdier and better suited for climbing.
DF MQ  Post #: 233
2/7/2016 16:54:17   
Bastet

"Well, as natural as acid rain can be. Let’s go find something to eat when you’re up, I’m hungry.”

Rajiri listened on as her kin began speaking, glad that the day could finally start. She wasn’t particularly looking forward to rejoining the humans and.. other runts downstairs, but it was the quickest way out of that situation, and she couldn’t just dress and leave Arche… could she? As the thought began to cross her mind, her kin began to speak the rough yet pleasant sound of her mother tongue.

"Sure. It'd be nice to get out of town too. I'm curious about the origins of the acid rain too. Maybe that place the goblin mentioned has an idea or a way to protect ourselves at least. If it happens again, I'd rather be able to defend myself if I get caught in a place without shelter."

The red dragon was about to reply when Arche started acting in a panicked manner and then began running out of the run at a pace that would put her empowered form to shame. Turning around, leaving the landscape offered by the window, she chuckled to herself as her companion made heavy running noises as she flew down the staircase of the building. Figuring that she couldn’t have been in that much trouble, Rajiri simply continued smirking as she went to seek her simpler set of armor to don it again.

It was amazing that the leather suit she wore thorought her travels hadn’t unraveled yet, considering how much use it had been put through. And yet it held together in one piece, resilient as ever, though occasionally showing the signs of Rajiri’s exploits. She had considered changing it more than once, but nothing she could’ve afforded or stolen would come close to the above-average craft of her armor. Considering Arche’s knowledge, it might have happened that she would’ve been able to provide her with a clue as to how she could find better wear. She was also aware of the looks that the.. “functional” holes on the back of it attracted to her, and while she couldn’t care for mundane attention, she’d rather not put herself on display for those who were worth less than the dirt underneath her boots.

As she finished the process of dressing herself, Rajiri heard a scream of anger that almost made her blush in its sheer intensity. The building itself almost shook while sustaining a number of hits that didn’t escape the dragon’s keen senses, renewing her curiosity as to which matter could’ve caused her kin to reach in such an entertaining manner. Looking back at the room she was about to leave, Rajiri stopped a moment to make sure she hadn’t left anything behind and closed the door behind herself when she was satisfied enough.

Once again making an appearance in the main hall of the tavern, Rajiri took a brief look at the current patrons before identifying the table Arche had sat down at and swiftly moving that direction. She didn’t miss the woman moving next to a hole in the tavern, which she imagined was the aftermath of the vibrations that had previously occurred. What was even more of a surprise is that the large man she had met the night before, or at least taken a mental note of, seemed to be sitting down close to her. Assuming that he posed no danger yet, Rajiri moved in an unalarmed manner. Either way, she was confident that Arche could defend herself if appropriate. Giving the man a brief look before sitting down at the table next to both its occupants, Rajiri spoke in the common tongue, using a playful tone as she smirked.

“So, what happened?”
Post #: 234
2/8/2016 22:33:56   
Sigil

Another sip of his tea down, Keystone noted as a minor point of edification that the Dragonkin of this realm, when faced with utter disappointment, slammed their faces onto hard, flat surfaces just as readily as his Human brethren back home.

The difference here being, she was taking a much longer personal moment than he'd expected. Well, she had screamed something about wasting a year of her life and coming out to this middle-of-nowhere settlement. I suppose this earned the crestfallen researcher some additional time to go to pieces. Well, whatever works.

Keystone shrugged, poured a tiny bit more tea into Arche's cup to keep it hot, and returned to his own thoughts.

Taking into account the events of the previous night, silver seemed to take the place of cold-wrought iron in this place. From what the archer, Sana, had said, in her home as well. At least in the instance of the Hellhound, though she had mentioned other applications. Silver, he had. Compared to the circumstances of his birth, he had a considerable amount of it. Silver marked the brunt of currency to be found in the colossal walled city of Argentum, aptly (though not with much imagination) referred to as a Silver Argent, or merely an Argent. It was the representative backbone of the economy, though in truth barter served equally as well for most trade.

Point being, he had silver. Turning it into an appropriate weapon, on the other hand, would be difficult. In the hour given before their departure, impossible. Unless he wanted to fire a coin from a slingshot, at any rate. His brass knuckle dusters, a staple weapon for when he needed to strike decidedly injurious attacks, had a series of runes and mottled patterns engraved into the metal. Inlaying molten silver to these crevices and depressions would be simple work for even a novice smith, but it would likely take more than an hour with preparation.

He could also do with a new coat. Mundane, certainly, though a pang of regret coursed through him at the thought of his black woolen one consumed by infernal fire.

Now, what to do if the rain came back during their travel was another note of concern. He had absolutely no idea what to do, that being the case. Even if he could somehow suspend a roof of neutrally reactive material above himself, the rest of the group, and his new mule (of which he had instantly become rather fond), the question became how to make it realistically portable over unknown terrain.

Keystone took a deep breath and sighed. Many problems, most without forthcoming solution.

It was at this point the burly pugilist noted the arrival of a lady who appeared to be a local, and the return of the (even) less sociable dragonkin from upstairs. He glanced sideways toward Rajiri before cradling his cup in broad hands and returning his attention to the latest guest and her dog.

He raised an eyebrow at her question concerning the appropriateness of her dog being inside. After the harrowing events of the last twenty-four hours, a dog in the tavern common room seemed like a truly insignificant breach of social contract. Keystone shrugged and nodded toward the bar, a seeming dismissal of her concern and invitation to enter. Of course, he had no real authority to speak on behalf of the establishment, but greatly doubted that the proprietor argue the point.

The other dragonborn found a chair near the two of them, posing a simple but to-the-point inquiry as to the transpirings of the morning. Keystone sipped his tea, allowing the cup's contents to warm his internals, and awaited response with casual repose.

<burp>

AQW  Post #: 235
2/8/2016 23:14:42   
Draycos777

Arche looked up, as the ranger from last night, Sana, placed a glass and bottle on her table. From the smell, Arche could guess what was inside.

"Just in case one isn't enough."

The ranger spoke before heading out to do whatever she had planned. It was a surprise to the half-dragon, considering what had happened yesterday. Another surprise appeared in the form of the big man, Keystone joining her table and putting down a ceramic cup in front of her rather heavily.

"A little something relaxing from home. Mind y'self, it's a little brasher than you're accustomed to, likely. Honey?" The big man paused to take a sip from his own cup; "So tell me, why was this creature so bloody important? ...got me a mule this mornin'..."

Arche shook her head first before picking up her cup and bring it closer to her face, blowing on the tea for a bit, then taking a long sip of her tea. The favor was strong and rich, but it tasted good, and to be honest, Arche didn't want anything sweet right now.

"It's fine the way it is. Not sweet, strong favor, just what I need right now. Thank you." Arche paused for a bit to take another sip; "Remember the bottomless bag I mentioned yesterday? That creature was a breaking point of three year of research. Studying it could have giving me the answer I was looking for. A missing part in a puzzle so-to-speak. It took another year just to find this one. And that was all stripped from me in a matter of hours. Congrats on your mule though."

At this point Arche had finished her tea. Setting the cup down, she picked up the the glass of alcohol and smelt it. Her head jerked back slightly. Indeed it was alcohol. She never understood how anyone could drink the stuff with that smell, but supposedly people said it made you feel better, so hopefully it taste better then it smells. Trying her best to not smell the liquid, she chugged it down. There was a strong buzzing feeling for a few moments but she didn't feel any different. No doubt one would need more than one cup after all. Pouring another cup she drank it as her kin came down, with a smile on her face; Arche squinted.

"Was it always this hard to see in the morning. It's probably just the sun."

“So, what happened?”

"Four years. Four years of wasted work is what happened Rajiri."

Not knowing why or the cause, Arche started to become angry again, and her dragconic features showed themselves once more, save the scales.

"Arrh. I don't care anymore! You know what? Goblin, count me in! If there's a way to stop this I want to know." Arche slammed the glass and pulled at the collar of her shirt; "And if it's someone that cause the rain to happen, then I want to know where they are, so I can punch their damn teeth in! I know it might be a selfness reason, but so what! I'll teach them to screw over someone's time and effort for no damn reason!"

Arche pulled on her shirt again, blush beginning to show on her face.

"Why is it so hot in here all of a sudden."

Arche's attention was then drawn by the big man, as the sound erupted from his mouth.

"Eh? That one was weaker then last night."
AQ  Post #: 236
2/10/2016 8:44:17   
Krey

The barkeep returned with a few pieces of fruit, and Verna dropped a couple of small coins on the bar as payment for the light, albeit satisfying meal. Perhaps not so for some of the larger or more fantastical of creatures which had shown themselves in the last few days, but for a slender woman of average stature, a few pieces of fruit was an altogether suitable breakfast. One she'd been accustomed to for quite some time. She started into a juicy apple, her eyes obviously glazed over with absent thought.

This lasted only until a storm blew in, crashing down the stairs and leaving probably anyone in the tavern turning to look and see. She was no exception, and halfway into the bite of an apple, she turned in her seat to see one of the high-and-mighties from the night before crashing out the door. Seconds later, a scream she could only describe as savage ripped through the morning quiet, followed shortly by a fist which tore through the tavern wall. For a high-and-mighty, her respect for property was disturbingly absent. True, her kind rarely held any actual respect for the property of others, but they kept it quietly under wraps, revealing it only in back-alley negotiations and cutthroat takeovers. This was well outside their natural realm of badness.

Still, Verna silently thanked her for the distraction from the train of thought which was sure to come, and turned back to finish her meal. As she ate, Nilburke gave everyone an hour to departure and left the tavern himself to prepare. Her own meal finished, Verna stood up and took stock of everything she had. A small pouch on her belt held her meager possessions (Which is to say, what coin she'd lifted from the last town), and her daggers were all strapped safely in place. The archer-bard lady from the night before, who'd already left herself, had said to get silver, but Verna doubted she'd find any silver weapons ready-made in this town, even if she could afford such a price.

Standing, she wandered over to the high-and-mighty's table just as she began to answer the questions the other's had posed, and could only grin a little bit as she ranted on. It was always refreshing to hear the well-to-do's going on about their problems. She thunked down in the seat next to Keystone, tipping her seat back onto two legs.

“Everyone else has gone to prep, but I'm as ready as I'll get. Mind if I join?”
AQ  Post #: 237
2/10/2016 22:26:18   
Sigil

The blunt-seeming man listened to Arche's description of the item she had been questing for, these last few years. Mustering what little sense of propriety he had within, he waited until she was done speaking on the matter before venturing to add his bit to the conversation. In the chaos of the previous day, he had quite forgotten the specifics of the Dragonkin's personal mission. It, and a few choice details, came rushing back.

He opened his mouth to speak, but it was at that second that Verna joined them.

Keystone motioned to a seat, seemingly in mirthful spirits, and filled another cup with the hot, strong tea. He looked to the newcomer, motioning to the honey, and pushed the cup toward her. His attention returned to the distraught noble as he spoke again.

"Long as we're all friends now," he said mirthfully, with just a touch of sarcasm, "I'll let you in on something: They already exist, where I'm from, anyways. Held one before, used it for a bit there, too. Belonged to an artificer bloke what had us looking all kinds of places for "just the right ingredients" for his new toys. Seen a couple different kinds, too, they're popular with us adventuring folk."

The broad man laughed lightly, covering his mouth and trying to stop himself. A particularly amusing thought came to him, and he absolutely had to share. "May... Maybe <snort> the Powers That Be got you movin' to this bar... ...'cause you needed to find us to complete your quest."

He began laughing in earnest, even tearing slightly. Keystone put his hand on the table to steady himself, and sipped his tea in an effort to calm. "Low-born bloody commonfolk, don't know spellcraft from a donkey's conkers, an' I can point you where you need goin'."

Keystone was often fond of life's little ironies. He sighed, took another big swallow of his tea, and stood. "We've got plenty o' time to talk shop on the road. I'm going to go find a place what sells worked cloth, find me another coat on the quick. 'xcuse, then. Back in a moment."

Stepping outside, Keystone took in a deep breath of morning air. The sun was fully up now, and last night's carnage aside, it felt great to be alive just then. He patted his Molly at the shoulder, inspecting again the fine piece of mule-flesh he had acquired, and quickly asked a passerby where he may find a clothier. In seconds, he was off at a jog.

It was a beautiful day, indeed.

< Message edited by Sigil -- 2/10/2016 22:33:44 >
AQW  Post #: 238
2/11/2016 1:00:34   
Apocalypse

Initial conversation took a turn for the worse as the goblin argued with the tailor over the 'impossibilities of the fabrics requested by the little sir'. After much debate (and borderline shouting) over this and just how big a twat the tailor was, the bald man gave in. Some of it may have been attributed to the green fellow's way with words, but most would suspect the headbutt to the tailor's crotch-al region was what turned the softie's opinion around. The alchemist dictated his demands to the shuddering figure on the floor before stepping out for a breath of fresh air. He walked a few dozen paces back and forth before re-entering the clothing establishment. This time, Nilburke was welcomed with a robe and a matching set of shirt and trousers. The tailor handed these over with ginger care before placing a small silver coin on the goblin's palm, flinching as he touched rough hide. Nilburke emitted a sound that was the ugly lovechild of a scoff and a laugh before exiting the shop with his new purchases tucked under his arm. No effort was made to save the clothing from wrinkling.

A little meandering of the town revealed that there was nothing left worthy of the goblin's interest. The hour was almost up, so Nilburke made his way back to the tavern where his newfound companions lay waiting. He bid them a nod of acknowledgement before making a beeline for his large sack of goods. Dragging it behind him, the alchemist walked back out into the sunlight and set it down as he waited for the last stragglers to arrive. He dug through his bag and prepared a couple of vials to replace the ones he had used last night. A more prepped alchemist would have been gathering ingredients to add to his collection, but Nilburke wanted to be on the road first followed by experimenting his two new additions. The alchemy was done in silence and with little bravado, none if one did not hold the swirling habit against the goblin. Upon completion, he stood up and glanced over the assembled crew. "Aight, best be off. I'll explain things about the academy on the way. Save questions until I'm done. Oh, and before I forget," he pulled out the small silver coin, "if anyone can shave bits off, I can craft silver solutions from the motes. Won't be as effective as pure silver but it'll do. Just apply it to a weapon." He flicked his eyes to Brute. "Or a fist."

Without much adieu, Nilburke turned on his heel and marched with his burlap sack over his shoulder. The road took them south of town, with the trees resembling bare husks after the deadrain. The goblin cleared his throat. "Right, so Hrah Thorn..."

"The Academia Collective has stood for a thousand years, even if the earliest records only go back six hundred or so years ago and the architecture matches the latter. Still, quite a long time. Started small, but has grown and continues to grow as new disciplines are always found and added. Not to mention the incorporation of students whose use of the arcane stems from different roots. The institution almost crumbled when the concept of auras was first introduced to them." The alchemist let out a harsh laugh. "The ol' masters must've nearly soiled themselved! If only I could have seen it happen!"

He took a moment to compose himself before continuing. "Every field branches off into numerous little specializations, most of which clamor among themselves as to which follows the true principles of the core and is thus superior. Lots of self-patting on the back, too. The 'roots', as they are called, are the core classes new students are required to take. The four big ones are spellweaving, mancy, sygaldry, and alchemy, of course. We'll come back to those." Nilburke let out a breath. Hrah Thorn always seemed like a simple place, but explaining it to an outsider was proving a little more difficult than he imagined. Too many options of where to being. "I guess I should backtrack. Non-students are not permitted to enter the university's grounds. As such it is with normal rules, I'll bribe our way through. If you find a class you fancy, I might be able to convince the teacher to let you sit in on it. No promises, though. More than a few have sticks up their arses. And if you get thrown out, that's it; it'll be up to yourselves get your sorry softsides back in."

The conversation fell to the egregious code of conduct with a quick precursor noting its boring and overwhelming nature. Most of the rules were said with disdain or followed by a sarcastic remark, but the alchemist took pains to highlight the ones that were under constant scrutiny as well as some of the archaic ones that were seldom reinforced. He even included a couple loopholes, such as that possessing a parrot was a mark of good character and thus twice the usual number of witnesses were required to override your account of events in a hearing.

A soft, cool crunch broke Nilburke's train of thought on when public intoxication could not be held against a person. A glance down revealed a patch of sky-blue grains sitting on the road's path. No, not on the road. The oddity was on the same level as the road itself, as if someone had removed a shovel-full of dirt and replaced it with the miscolored granules. The goblin bent down to examine the odd phenomenon. "What the..."

To say particles shot out in every direction would be false as none traveled above ground level. Instead, they seemed to roll across the land, changing the forest and very road beneath one's feet to a cyan desert. The new biome stretched out in a three-sixty radius. In the distance, one could make out tiny specks that may have been trees but could be any number of things. At first it seemed that the sand was cool, but a keen observer would notice a faint breeze was being emitted upward from the fresh desert.

Nilburke rose back to his feet and dusted himself off. "That's odd," he said, noticing for the first time that the halfwit Thief had been replaced by yet another female softie.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 239
2/12/2016 15:24:51   
Afina
Weaver of Epic Yarns

Sana made her way through town so that she could stock up on essentials for the journey ahead. Granted she wasn't exactly sure what all she would need considering the fact that even through she knew the name of the realm she was in she really didn't know a damn thing about the place in all honesty. Shrugging to herself she figured to at least cover the basics. She was thankful to at least have her silver dagger and her silver arrows just in case they ran across anything else that decided to vacation in this realm from hers. If not, then at least silver was good exchange for goods and services it seemed no matter the realm.

Stopping by the smithy first she made her to acquire an extra quiver of arrows, they were basic; nothing special but they were better than nothing she figured. She knew how to fletch her own but when one is trying to get out of a town as quickly as possible it is probably better to just purchase the premade ones instead of hunkering down and doing the work ones self. They seemed sturdy enough though she did not like the slight curves here and there on the shaft, she would have to account for that if she needed to use them and with her hand still healing from the acid like rain that could present a problem. Least she had a quiver of her own she could use in the meantime.

She ended up purchasing a few items other than the arrows and quiver; minor items she could use to tighten or repair small damages that could occur during the journey, some rope; which was much thicker than she was used to and did not seem to be as durable. Oh well, small town, she couldn't exactly expect fine quality goods. Perhaps where they were headed she could at least learn a bit more about this realm or find better items to purchase later on.

Stopping by the general store she made sure to get some thread, extra needles, bindings, an extra water skin, a thicker cloak in case the weather turned bad and various other things including some dried meats for food. She still wasn't keen on eating meats from animals she had never heard of before but beggars could not be choosers and lost wanders couldn't turn their nose up on a meal.

The archer ended up making her way back to the tavern just as Nilburke was ready to leave and just kind of fell in with the group as they headed out of the city; pulling the hood of her mantle up. Granted if the rain began again she doubted her cloak would protect her but at least it would give some type of barrier between her and the elements. Perhaps just enough to get to some sort of shelter before her skin melted away. That's right, have to think positive in these type of scenarios.

She listened to what the trickster had to sway, smirking slightly at his sarcastic comments. She never understood pomp and circumstance of some places but she knew well enough to follow protocol when needed. She needed answers and it wouldn't exactly do well to, oh how did her old friend put it.... crap where one sleeps? Yes, that was it but only in a much more colorful manner.

As they came along the blue seed like place in the road Sana perked a brow. Things like this never ended well. It was like finding hot waffles covered in syrup in the middle of the forest. There was no waffle fairy, mores the pity, and there surely was not blue rose fairy fluttering around these parts - that much she was sure of. As they went out in all directions she held her hand up before her face; like hell she was about to accidentally swallow one of those little fairy turds. Looking around at the change she groaned, well this can't be good...

"Oh, isn't this just lovely...." she muttered under her breath as she lowered her hand.
Post #: 240
2/13/2016 0:03:35   
Sigil

Keystone was still chuckling slightly to himself as he walked to the town's tailor. His life certainly had been colorful, if not easy nor ideal. Still, sometimes bits of universal understanding dawned upon him. The things which had transpired in his history, be it by the guiding hand of entities more powerful than himself, or mere happenstance brought about by causality of actions, kept pointing Keystone toward opportunities to better arm and educate himself. This most recent drop-off into parts unknown seemed to be a continuation of this.

Whatever happened in this place, Lore, he figured he was there for a reason. With this in mind, Keystone stepped a little lighter as he moved toward what he guessed was a tailor's shop. His guess was confirmed when he spied two of his new companions exit the establishment, each wearing or carrying new articles of clothing.

Keystone nodded to Nilburke as their paths crossed; his going to, the Goblin's coming from. "Mornin' then. I'll be ready in a bit."

Entering the clothier's, Keystone noted the selection was everything he had expected from a rural store. Being the confirmed urbanite, it was not impressive. The shopkeeper seemed ...wary... of the larger man, as if he had just had an unfortunate run-in with another stranger very recently. Keystone fixed an intimidating grin to his face, and began to barter.

A few moments later, a slightly more dapper man exited the shop. He had settled on a high collared long coat of dark grey broadcloth, and carried a soft package, wrapped in cloth and tied with twine. A little smile lingering on his face, he rolled a foreign, silver coin from finger to finger with practiced dexterity before flipping it high into the air. Keystone caught the airborne coin in a flat palm and stuck it back into his pocket.

Another couple of stops netted him additional foodstuffs and a handy length of rope, a couple more odds and ends that could be argued as either luxury or necessity - the estimated value of silver in this place would put the exchange rate in favor of his native city, certainly. His brief jaunt into the close set hamlet was coming to a close when he caught sight of a marvelous pair of matched daggers. Something very roguish about them - sweeping blades, horn handles, good balance. Nothing overall special that Keystone could see, just a fine quality and functional souvenir. The smith looked him over oddly as he purchased them.

They sheathed nicely on the back of his belt. Whether he would actually use them in combat... different story.

Upon returning to the Inn, Keystone saw the group readying to go. He had probably dawdled in town a little longer than he had intended, and hurried to get his belongings together. Most everything was stowed in his pack, the extras and recent purchases in their own bundles. His gear seemed to fit nicely onto the pack saddle of his Molly. Even the massive reserves of charcuterie'd l'enfer chien. If the stoic mule even noticed the extra weight, she gave no indication.

A quarter hour later, Keystone left with the others, leading his mule packed with almost everything he had in this world. After a moment or three of walking, he saw the difference of walking speed between himself and their diminutive guide, and felt the need to address the issue.

"Ey, Gronk! Mayhap the Great Leader of this expedition'd be better off ridin' than walkin', eh?" he motioned to his new mule, "Make better time. I can lift you, if you like."

After a moment's thought, he continued, "I'll take that silver, then. I can whetstone it down after we make camp tonight, if you've got something I can store the shavings in."

The sudden and drastic change in landscape probably should have startled him more. What with the massive and oftentimes abstract upheavals, Keystone viewed this world with a sort of open acceptance now, the kind a man might have of a dream he logically recognized as such, without the ability to immediately wake. Things just seemed to happen here. For all he knew, he could be breathing an atmosphere of slightly lumpy gravy in the next hour or so. All the same, it was a bit offputting.

"Well, this is new."

Scanning the horizon for anything in their fresh landscape, as a point of reference, Keystone paused. Squinting against the sun, he pointed more or less in ahead and formed a question:

"Anyone else see that? Just off to the left of center, there..."
AQW  Post #: 241
2/14/2016 16:37:04   
Bastet

Rajiri couldn’t help herself, her first reaction after Arche declared that she would join the goblin’s adventuring party was to laugh at the hilarity of the situation. She had barely any idea of what she was talking about when her kin mentioned that she would join the little runt, but it was enough to intrigue the orange dragon. She would also join the quest that the patrons of the tavern had accepted, equal parts due to boredom and the desire to make sure that her kin didn’t suffer from it. She wasn’t headed for any one place in particular, but at least potential assassins would’ve been off her back for a while if she travelled with a group, as unpleasant as that could be in the presence of inferior creatures.

Already carrying all she owned, Rajiri waited until the moment that the others were finally done doing their pre-adventurous shopping. Some returned with supplies, others with weapons, or even new clothes. Either way, she simply assumed a bored tone and sat at the table that she shared with Arche, keeping a lazy eye on the progress of the preparations.

After the group had finally set off, Rajiri followed along. She didn’t care if she hadn’t been explicitly invited, rather remaining in the company of Arche for as long as she could. There wasn’t much to gain for her from what seemed like a Goblinoid University, but she would be there for her kin as long as she was in the company of those men and women Rajiri had a tendency to trust so little. Noticing that the ground had suddenly become.. blue, littered with strange particles, the red dragon immediately became wary of her surroundings more so than she already was.

Still, rather than exposing herself by reacting to something that might not have been a threat, Rajiri stepped slightly farther away from the main group and the previously naked muscular man, who seemed to have managed to acquire a new coat while spending his time around the inn that they had all momentarily left behind. The orange dragon wasn’t entirely sure whether to be alarmed or proceed as normal, leaving her staring at the unnatural landscape while awaiting for someone or something to make it clear if her life was endangered.
Post #: 242
2/16/2016 11:14:01   
Starstruck

Why'd she come in here if she didn't want anything to drink? wondered a patron as Jane strode confidently back out the hole in the wall. The strange, plain woman had walked in through the hole, knocked over a table, ignored the innkeep's request that the dog be removed from the premises, and walked around the tavern several times just looking at the other patrons. Something about her inexcusable manners really bothered him. Was it the total lack of regard for privacy or the fact that she wasn't beautiful? Perhaps both, he mused softly.

His mild reverie was broken by a horrible, demonic screech. He cringed, fearing another attack, but was greeted instead with the source of the noise: a large, pink, very round creature walking past the door. Was this woman an animal tamer? He shrugged and took another gulp of his drink. Not his farm, not his chickencows.

---

Jane fell naturally into step with the assorted company. Her animals were following her at a distance - every one of them seemed nervous and skittish for some reason, and were afraid to join the group as a whole. Trade Winds, in particular, was eyeing a pair of tough-looking women as though they were the harbingers of end times and the co-owners of a profitable chain of glue factories. However, as Jane spent more time with her newfound companions, she felt confident that the animals would grow to accept them. As long as they didn't try to hurt her, of course.

Sure enough, Lola snuffled her way over to the group, shortly followed by the rest of her menagerie. Before she could open her mouth to say anything, there was a sudden, harsh twist in the way that reality worked. A soft, surprised nicker erupted from Trade Winds, and Valentine screeched, hackles raised, ready to swipe at this unexpected sensation.

"Oh, lawd," muttered Jane under her breath. "What's this, now? More of that 'magic' stuff? I'm gettin' a little tired of 'magic,' you know."
DF MQ  Post #: 243
2/16/2016 18:08:57   
Krey

The big man indicated an acceptance of her request to join, and even went as far as to pour a cup of tea. She sat down, gladly accepting the cup from him and drizzled a touch of honey into the drink. She swirled it a moment as she listened to the others, and the brawler had a bit of a laugh, as she saw it, both at the expense of the highborn and at the so-called Powers That Be. This she could appreciate, and grinned as she took a sip of the tea, noting that it was indeed quite strong but certainly flavorful. The touch of honey was a nice addition, she noted, though it wasn't long until Keystone took off to finish his own preparations. With that, she sat in silence, waiting for the goblin to return to lead them all on their way.

Somewhere along the way she felt it'd been a while, and decided to take a step outside and see if anyone was around. Leaving the cup at the table, she stood up and made her way outside, to find Nilburke just wrapping something up with a few vials just as the rest of the group came together. There was little to be done before the goblin led the group on their way, and Verna fell into step with them, listening to the description he gave of the Academia Collective. Even as she listened, she played over various bits of mischief in her mind, plotting the best way to hassle a group like this even while getting the most out of the visit that she could, as well as—most importantly—not getting herself kicked out before it came time to leave.

Even as the goblin was giving the rundown on the rules and what to do and not to do, his chatter was interrupted by something she didn't quite pick up. He bent down to look at something, and even as he did particles of... something, rolled across the land in all directions, and somehow altered the very landscape on which they'd been traveling to something decidedly different and, well, blue.

She jogged ahead to meet up with Keystone, trying to spot whatever he was looking at. “You mean the trees?” She asked, and then thought better of it, “Or whatever those are.” It was about that moment she noticed the hem of her cloak fluttering lightly, a cool breeze against her bare feet, and knelt down to feel the breeze coming up from the ground. “I'm a little more intrigued by the air rising from this... sand...?”

She glanced up, eyes finding the goblin, “Hey Nilburke, you as lost as we are?”
AQ  Post #: 244
2/17/2016 22:09:21   
Sigil

"Nah, not the trees." began Keystone in response to Verna's inquiry. He pointed ahead, to where he thought he saw something in the distance "Look ahead there, now... there. Looks like something pointy out that way."

He stared a long moment toward the object near the horizon, trying to convince himself that it was indeed there, and if it was, how far away it might be. Distance was a difficult thing to judge with no landmarks, and Keystone, originally a city-dwelling miscreant, was unaccustomed to travel without them.

Still, something pulled at him, drawing him forward. A desire; a sort of unexpected familiarity about the whole situation. Much as he had bemoaned his situation and chidingly referred to "The Powers That Be" earlier, Keystone thought there must be some definite purpose to his presence in this realm. What made it maddening to him was that, as his knowledge of Lore increased, it felt less like he was learning and more like he was remembering. Some force, some intelligence, something prompted him onward.

"We got two ways to go: Forward and back. We've seen what's back. I'm for seein' what's that way."

From somewhere behind him, the large man heard a series of statements from an unfamiliar voice, ending in: "I'm gettin' a little tired of 'magic,' you know."

Reflexively, he responded.

"Bloody frigging right, magic's done precious little 'cept make my life more diffi..."

For the first time, Keystone noticed the local lady from the tavern this morning had joined them on the road. Not only this, but the group's numbers seemed to have doubled were one to include the four-legged barnyard companions.

"Sodding Hell's all this, then?"
AQW  Post #: 245
2/18/2016 13:21:23   
Apocalypse

Nilburke rubbed his temples as the others voiced their displeasure as yet another chaotic wrench was thrown into the works. "As lost as you or even more so," he replied to Candles before opening his eyes. He ran a hand through the sand and let the fine drains slip between his fingers. It felt oh-so ordinary with one important exception: the individual granules were producing a wind source of their own. The goblin scooped up a handful and held his free palm above it. The faint breeze was still being emitted from this isolated clump. He cupped his hands together and shook the sand in a violent manner, twisting his hands as he did so. A scowl grew on his face as no matter which way the sand faced, the whisper of wind always blew skyward.

The clump fell with a a soft thud as Nilburke pinched the bridge of his nose. The others were tuned out as thoughts raced through his head. The sky had remained the same, and the tree lines remained intact. This indicated that the desert was, in fact, the interloper and that walking onwards would bring them to Hrah Thorn. The sand appeared very much like sand with the added windy element. It blew skyward, but just because it did so here did not mean it did so in its natural world. There could be some variable on Lore that drew the attention of the breeze up, perhaps some molecule that was not present in its own dimension. And speaking of dimensions, it did not seem to originate from where Wheat or Brute were from, judging from their reactions. While this did add support for Nilburke's theory that there was an arcane anomaly in play, it also introduced new rules. First, this was the first occurrence to happen outside of the town. Up to this point, Nilburke thought the focal point had been the town. However, now it seemed as if the phenomenon a were happening in a much larger radius or the focal point was on of the world-jumpers. After the issue of location came that of space. With people, creatures, and rain, all that needed to be displaced was a bit of air. In this instance the earth had to go somewhere. Either there had been equivalent exchange in pure alchemy (a current impossibility on Lore) or the desert had forced the forest out of its way which would make the surrounding dirt quite dense. The goblin shuddered at the thought that this encounter was an example of inequivalent exchange. Such an abomination should not, could not exist. Except that maybe it did.

"All right, all right," Nilburke said to himself more than to anyone else. The alchemist dug through his bag to fetch an empty vial and collect another sample. This would be his third new addition in two days. Not exactly a good thing as he had yet to examine even one to his heart's content yet. He tucked it away before speaking. "Plan stays the same: go to Hrah Thorn to figure out what the bloody hell is moving. However, taking a moment to explore may not be a bad idea. Could very well find a few answers ourselves while we're here. Such as 'who the hell are you and why do you have half a bloody farm with you'?"
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 246
2/22/2016 12:11:30   
Draycos777

"Long as we're all friends now," he said mirthfully, with just a touch of sarcasm, "I'll let you in on something: They already exist, where I'm from, anyways. Held one before, used it for a bit there, too. Belonged to an artificer bloke what had us looking all kinds of places for "just the right ingredients" for his new toys. Seen a couple different kinds, too, they're popular with us adventuring folk."

Arche quickly turned her head to face the tall man. Ignoring his laugh/burp; She listened closely.

"May... Maybe, the Powers That Be got you movin' to this bar... ...'cause you needed to find us to complete your quest."

"Low-born bloody commonfolk, don't know spellcraft from a donkey's conkers, an' I can point you where you need goin'. We've got plenty o' time to talk shop on the road. I'm going to go find a place what sells worked cloth, find me another coat on the quick. 'xcuse, then. Back in a moment."

"H-hey!"

Arche went to get up to chase him, but she went light-headed for a bit. Using the table to steady herself, Arche saw the goblin return from whatever trip he had set off on.

"looks like it's time to go."

Arche reached for E-

"Right, upstairs. Bag too. "

Arche moved her way to the stairs, and looked up. Quickly covering her mouth, to keep from puking. Arche used her right hand to grab the railings.

"The hell was in that drink? As far as I know, I shouldn't be seeing two sets of stairs..."

Taking a deep breathe, Arche tenderly up on foot on the steps.

"Ok, so far so good. Next step"

Moving at a snail's pace, Arche made her way up the stairs. Finding her room, she opened the door. Picking up her scythe and strapping it back on to her, she reclaimed her bag and the room's key. Closing the door, Arche once again started the slow climb of the stairs. This time going down.

During the group's trip, Arche stayed near Rajiri, and put all her attention on focusing on what the goblin was saying. When he had finally finished, Arche noticed that it had gotten warmer quite fast. No, not just warm. It was down-right hot. The heat from the sun, made her blood run faster and burnt through the lingering alcohol. Shaking her head and returning to her senses, Arche looked around.

"How'd we get into a desert, and who are you?"

Turning her head, she noticed another addition to the group. This one seemed to be followed by a barn.
AQ  Post #: 247
2/23/2016 22:38:28   
Sigil

The desire to continue the journey quickly overruled Keystone's curiosity concerning their newest arrival and her traveling barnyard circus. If nothing else, his Molly would have four-legged company while they were on the road. Grazing in this interloping desert would pose a problem for his mule and Jane's animals both; it would be best to push through this as soon as possible. The broad man turned back toward the spire in the distance, nodding.

"There. I says we give that a peek. It's damned near in our path, anyways."

Keystone knelt and scooped up a handful of the peculiar bluish sand. He watched it slip from between his fingers, pondering the implications of the phenomenon. He hoisted another fistful, regarded it for a second or two, and flung it out before him. His other hand could be plainly seen extending fingers in turn, as if he were counting something. One-Two-Three, over and over.

"Oi, Nilburke..." he began, still looking ahead, "You're one o' them alchemy types, lemme throw you a maybe on the quick: Outside of me and Sana showing up all unannounced, the first thing what made our lives interesting was that Hellhound, yeah? Then the Rain. Now this. Fire, Water, and whateverth'ell this is - even money on either Earth or Air. Mayhap's a coincidence, don't mean nothin', but if it does mean somethin', you're the one in this group what might have an idea, right?"

He laughed stiffly, and followed with a depressing afterthought. "Course, if I'm right, it means we've got one more like this to come, 'fore it's done with us. At least. ...so, how's about that spire, people? Let's take a walk."

Jut for a moment, the errant Pugilist wondered how uber-powered his belches would be if he swallowed a spoonful of the stuff. Hmm...
AQW  Post #: 248
3/4/2016 22:00:49   
Apocalypse

The drawback of being a scholar was that any assumption required mountains of evidence to be backed up lest it be flung away as nothing but an idle thought. As one might have guessed, mountains of evidence were a rare variety to be found in one location and scrounging one up was a process that at a minimum took days. While Nilburke still drafted potential assumptions behind situations he was poking his ugly nose into, he had the habit to keep them to himself until the opportunity to explore more possibilities appeared. With this in mind, the goblin was shocked by how fixated he became on Keystone's guesswork.

Fire, Water, Earth, and Air...the four original elements of Alchemy (later scholars would add Aether to the mix only to scrap it, reintroduce it, and strike it again). While the Equilibrium of Eight Elements had garnished much more backing and popularity, there were still a few strong voices who vied for the Four. If this was a magical phenomenon and the creator had a belief in the four elements encompassing all of existence, then it would stand to reason that its effects would follow that traditional route. And if three had already been taken...

"Brute, if there's one thing I don't like it's an assumption without sufficient experimentation, but I'll be damned if that don't make a lick of sense," the alchemist said as they trudged to their detour. "But the beastie was fire and living. Perhaps you, Wheat, and Thief represent the other elements, eh? I'd put my favor on you being Earth." He ended with smile full of pointy teeth.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The group's footprints marred the sand behind them as they approached the lonely spire. It was a tower of sorts, reaching three stories high and of a material that was grey yet bright and shimmering. On the front was a discoloration that seemed black at first glance but faded to the darkest shades of all colors over time. Tall enough for a small giant and wide enough for two carts to ride abreast, it was the only distinguishing mark. That is, if one ignores the fist that forms in the middle of the discoloration and descends downward. Upon reaching the sandy floor, the fist vanishes and an open palm appears in the middle and rises up. The pattern continues with the palm and fist always heading in their respective directions but at staggering paces.

The goblin chewed his bottom lip as he approached the spire and knocked against the material. It gave no sound and was soft as silk against his knuckles yet as firm as steel. Nilburke took a step back and put his hands on his hips. "Quite an eyesore, to be honest."
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 249
3/4/2016 22:02:41   
Krey

Verna followed Keystone's finger, looking across the horizon to the spire-type object he was pointing out. She could just make it out, and had to agree with his curiosity. She scooped up a handful of the strange blue sand, her hand hovering near her face, and felt the breeze rising even from these particles separated from the rest. She'd never encountered a phenomenon like this, but where magic might be involved... Who could say what was and was not possible? She'd seen some pretty spectacular things in her time, such that this certainly wasn't the strangest thing she'd ever seen. Unique, to be sure, but certainly not the strangest.

Letting the sand slip through her fingers, she stood up, looking around at their company. They'd grown a little—or a lot, if one were to count the barnyard menagerie accompanying the new girl. Momentarily she began to grow a bit concerned about the size of their group—too many people, especially with the addition of all the animals, would cause for slow travel, and the more they grew the slower it would be. The unknown nature of the strange occurrences which had come upon them so far made her a little concerned with that.

Putting that thought aside for the moment, she glanced at the fighter, nodding her agreement. “On the one hand, visiting the strangest thing in sight could be considered an unwise move, considering the strange things which have happened to us in recent times. On the other, perhaps the strangest thing in sight might hold a few answers. Gods know we've gotta be thrown a bone sometime, right?”

The group approached the spire, rather a strange piece of construction to be sure. Unlike the sand, this might well qualify as one of the strangest things she'd ever seen. She took a few minutes to study the odd tower, arms folded over her chest, and with a smirk, glanced towards the goblin as he described the tower, quite aptly. “I'd say I've seen worse, but even the most well-to-do have better taste than whatever soul dreamed up this piece of work.

< Message edited by Krey -- 3/4/2016 22:08:02 >
AQ  Post #: 250
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 9 [10] 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> Role Playing >> RE: ~*Getting To Know You*~
Page 10 of 11«<7891011>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition