Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: The Official Quotes Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> Out of Context >> RE: The Official Quotes Thread
Page 8 of 10«<678910>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/1/2013 0:36:33   
Corvus Corax
♥ Senpai ♥

quote:

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
― Sun Tzu
AQ AQW  Post #: 176
7/2/2013 13:34:36   
liamliam1234liam

quote:

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov

quote:

A society that has more justice is a society that needs less charity.
Ralph Nader

quote:

Americans, like human beings everywhere, believe many things that are obviously untrue. Their most destructive untruth is that it is very easy for any American to make money. They will not acknowledge how in fact hard money is to come by, and, therefore, those who have no money blame and blame and blame themselves. This inward blame has been a treasure for the rich and powerful, who have had to do less for their poor, publicly and privately, than any other ruling class since, say, Napoleonic times.
Kurt Vonnegut

quote:

Imagine if America were a dictatorship: you could let one percent of the people have all the nation’s wealth; you could help your rich friends get richer by cutting their taxes and bailing them out when they gamble and lose; you could ignore the needs of the poor for health care and education; your media would appear free, but would secretly be controlled by one person and his family; you could wiretap phones; you could torture foreign prisoners; you could have rigged elections; you could lie about why you go to war; you could fill your prisons with one particular racial group and no one would complain; you could use the media to scare the people into supporting policies that are against their interests.
Admiral General Shabazz Aladeen

quote:

A meritocracy is a system in which the people who are the luckiest in their health and genetic endowment; luckiest in terms of family support, encouragement, and, probably, income; luckiest in their educational and career opportunities; and luckiest in so many other ways difficult to enumerate – these are the folks who reap the largest rewards. The only way for even a putative meritocracy to hope to pass ethical muster, to be considered fair, is if those who are the luckiest in all of those respects also have the greatest responsibility to work hard, to contribute to the betterment of the world, and to share their luck with others.
Ben Bernanke

quote:

There is nobody in this country who got rich on their own; nobody. You built a factory out there - good for you. But I want to be clear: you moved your goods to market on roads the rest of us paid for; you hired workers the rest of us paid to educate; you were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for; you did not have to worry that marauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory. Now, look, you built a factory and it turned into something terrific or a great idea - God bless, keep a hunk of it; but part of the underlying social contract is you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along.
Elizabeth Warren

< Message edited by liamliam1234liam -- 6/19/2019 0:49:09 >
DF  Post #: 177
7/7/2013 5:33:04   
Rafiq von den Vielen

Yesterday I happened to come across a WW II documentation that provided me with this short, yet so very true quote:

quote:

A tongue's weight breaks even the strongest man.

- Unknown Gestapo officer during WW II
Post #: 178
7/8/2013 19:38:38   
liamliam1234liam

quote:

While the income of a minority is increasing exponentially, the income of the majority crumbling. This imbalance results from ideologies which uphold the absolute autonomy of markets and financial speculation and thus deny the right to control to states, which are themselves charged with providing for the common good.
quote:

The worship of the golden calf has returned in a new and ruthless guise in the idolatry of money and the dictatorship of an impersonal economy lacking a truly human purpose.
quote:

Human rights are not only violated by terrorism, repression, or assassination, but also by unfair economic structures which create huge inequalities.
quote:

Some people continue to defend trickle-down theories which assume economic growth encouraged by a free market will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and inclusiveness in the world. This opinion, which has never been confirmed by the facts, expresses a crude and naïve trust in the goodness of those wielding economic power and in the sacralised workings of the prevailing economic system. Meanwhile, the excluded are still waiting.
quote:

Working for a just distribution of the fruits of the earth and human labour is not mere philanthropy; it is a moral obligation
quote:

The economy should not be a mechanism for accumulating goods, but rather the proper administration of our common home. This entails a commitment to care for that home and to the fitting distribution of its goods among all. It is not only about ensuring a supply of food or “decent sustenance”; nor, although this is already a great step forward, is it to guarantee the three “L’s” of land, lodging and labor for which you are working. A truly communitarian economy, one might say an economy of Christian inspiration, must ensure peoples’ dignity and their “general, temporal welfare and prosperity”. This includes the three “L’s”, but also access to education, health care, new technologies, artistic and cultural manifestations, communications, sports and recreation. A just economy must create the conditions for everyone to be able to enjoy a childhood without want, to develop their talents when young, to work with full rights during their active years and to enjoy a dignified retirement as they grow older; it is an economy where human beings, in harmony with nature, structure the entire system of production and distribution in such a way that the abilities and needs of each individual find suitable expression in social life. You, and other peoples as well, sum up this desire in a simple and beautiful expression: “to live well”.
Pope Francis

< Message edited by liamliam1234liam -- 8/30/2015 11:31:41 >
DF  Post #: 179
7/9/2013 11:35:41   

Humorous and serious:

quote:

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.

-John Adams

quote:

In the chaotic world, the active triumph over the passive. By planting one tree, I did more than the person who fantasized of planting a massive forest. In the time that it takes him to plan out his forest, I have already planted several. Then I am the victor, and he the loser.

-Cao Cao
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 180
7/22/2013 5:26:00   
Rafiq von den Vielen

quote:

Getting up, just looking at the place your arm used to be, laugh insanely, say "Only a flesh wound..." and go back to work.

- I, having to define sickness.
Post #: 181
7/22/2013 11:42:12   
Edgemaster Scion
Constructive!

It's a strange story that this comes from, but I feel that the quote teaches an interesting lesson: that there's always a job to be done and someone needed to do it. None of us become useless.

quote:

I was no longer sad.
I didn’t realize it, but I stopped being sad... because there was something that needed doing, a small vessel to aid and an order to keep

-Gerard Way
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 182
8/17/2013 19:48:25   
04intel

quote:

"to me it doesn't matter who you think Jesus is, you can think he's God, you can think he's a man, you can think he doesn't exist if you want too but if I told you that story about anyone, call him bob, about this poor peasant who's movement was so profound and so threatening that he was arrested as a state criminal, that's an interesting guy, that's a guy I want to know more about"

~ Reza Aslan. on Jesus.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 183
8/23/2013 12:49:44   
Rafiq von den Vielen

quote:

When the illusion is gone, all that remains is the most formidable form of suffering.

-I, after being medicated. in hospital. (Do not ask for details. Please.)
Post #: 184
8/26/2013 16:47:24   
Xplayer
Roaming the Web

quote:

"We're our own worst judges, especially when it comes to our hearts. Even so, only you can know who's truly in your own."

~Tomoyo Daidouji, Card Captor Sakura
quote:

"I was flying past the stars on silver wings. It was wonderful."

~Matilda, from the novel of the same name
quote:

"If my past self is me, then my future self is also me. There's no moment when I'm not myself. Then what kind of self will I be tomorrow?"

~Tsubasa Hanekawa, Bakemonogatari
AQ AQW  Post #: 185
9/22/2013 21:35:41   
Ingo

When I was younger, I would watch Winnie the Pooh all day, and it had a big impact on me. 10 years later, I stumbled upon some wonderful quotes that were said by A.A. Milne (the author). 4 years later, I still can say them off the top of my head.

quote:

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.

quote:

"We'll be Friends Forever, won't we, Pooh?" asked Piglet.
"Even longer," Pooh answered.

quote:

How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.

quote:

Some people care too much. I think it's called love.

But my favorite quote of all time comes from a man by the name of William W. Purkey.

quote:

You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth.

You know that weird feeling in your heart, where it kinda twitches and there's that tiny pang, but it's not out of heartbreak? That's what I feel every time I read these quotes.

I'll leave one more quote here that I'll never forget because my dad used to say this (and still does) all the time to me. Now everyone has caught on this quote in the form of "YOLO".

quote:

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

~ Mae West

< Message edited by Ingo -- 9/22/2013 21:45:19 >
AQ  Post #: 186
9/24/2013 18:12:21   
Edgemaster Scion
Constructive!

quote:

The loneliest people are the kindest. The saddest people smile the brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest. All because they do not wish to see anyone else suffer the way they do.

-Anonymous
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 187
9/25/2013 23:37:48   
Ingo

^ This is such a true and meaningful quote! I never realized this until now. Thank you so much for sharing that. It is definitely going to be put somewhere where I can see it everyday :)

quote:

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.

~ Helen Keller

What was she referring to? For me, quotes (and love/happiness/etc.). I find the quotes I like the most are ones that I can relate to, or ones that open my eyes to see the world in a different perspective.
AQ  Post #: 188
9/29/2013 8:31:07   
imran102

quote:

Come on! Smile! Smiling makes the world go around!

~ Kuhn (.hack//GU)

quote:

To love someone, it is not to shut one's eyes to the other, nor to block one's ears to the truth... To love one another, is to walk through life together... Open your eyes, open your ears, look at each other... and together seek the best path for the both of you.

~Endrance (.hack//GU)

< Message edited by imran102 -- 9/29/2013 8:32:40 >
Post #: 189
9/29/2013 10:11:07   
odsey

quote:

Who is the hardest enemy to fight than yourself?

quote:

Do not give up. Giving up is like a suicide for me.

quote:

Do not afraid to try new thing's. What is human without development and experience?

~Myself

quote:

If you have a dream,aim for the stars, if you fall at least you fall in the stars.

~My Mother

A quote I found from Aqw GD:

quote:

There is no such thing as a hard thing. There is only thing's that is time consuming.

quote:

One side cannot exist without the other.

~Yin and Yang

AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 190
9/29/2013 10:46:10   
Galez

quote:

If you feel sad then laugh to your heart content. If you still feel sad then laugh some more. if it doesn't make you feel better that mean you didn't try to laugh hard enough.

~Me after i saw Tidus laughing to cheer Yuna up on FFX
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 191
10/27/2013 22:59:50   
Reaper Sigma

quote:

"We all have our demons. Some know them better than others."

Myself. A maxim I keep close to me, though I'm sure I've heard something similar to this somewhere.
Post #: 192
11/24/2013 21:37:49   
Chaosweaver Amon
Friendly!

quote:

"There are no men like me, there's only me."

-Jaime Lannister

quote:

“When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed.”

quote:

“If you could only sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to the people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person.”

-Fred Rogers

I really just love all of those quotes because they seem so true, so right. They fit perfectly in the scheme of life I feel.
DF  Post #: 193
12/12/2013 2:48:54   
Dual Thrusters

quote:

A woman's mind is cleaner than a man's: She changes it more often.

-Oliver Herford

quote:

I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific

Lilly Tomlin

quote:

A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths

Steven Wright

quote:

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.

Margaret Mead

quote:

Everybody knows how to raise children, except the people who have them.

PJ O'Rourke

quote:

I do buy expensive clothing, but they just look cheap on me

My friend
MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 194
12/18/2013 21:30:51   
04intel

quote:

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.

If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.

The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.

The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.

People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for a few underdogs anyway.

What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you’ll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.

~ The Paradoxical Commandments, by Kent M. Keith
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 195
3/12/2014 5:55:59   
Rafiq von den Vielen

quote:

Revel not in your sadness. You chose it to be your fate to decease from my hand today, and so I shall grant your wish.

~Main character from my secret book project.

quote:

I have no soul. You of all should know, as you are responsible for this state.

~Same

quote:

Ah, the beauty of worldfire. I shall not be surprised that you cannot acknowledge it, however, at least, direct your eyes toward it. Don't you see how the flames' gentle dance bathes us in light? Can you not hear the dying plead for mercy? How satisfying it must feel... being the culprit for all this, my dear.

~Same

quote:

The End of life itself. Incomprehendable to most, a burden to all... Cleansation to me.

~Same
Post #: 196
3/12/2014 6:42:21   
Seth Hydra
How We Roll Winner
Nov14

quote:

Give a man a mask, and he will show you his true face

Oscar Wilde
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 197
3/19/2014 18:55:50   
Corvus Corax
♥ Senpai ♥

quote:

"Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"

quote:

Your name is in the mouth of others: be sure it has teeth.

quote:

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error.

All from The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries.
AQ AQW  Post #: 198
3/22/2014 8:12:57   
Rafiq von den Vielen

quote:

"You're a hypocrite!"
"And what gives you this assumption? Are you too lazy to just think about it for one single second? Are you building your opinion on just the one thing you just heard me speak, without questioning why I say what I say just for a moment? If yes, then I'm sorry. Sorry for your revelation of ignorance."

~Little discours of a "friend" and me.
Post #: 199
3/30/2014 23:44:34   
BraveSirRobin

quote:

We never burned right.

Guy Montag,Fahrenheit 451

quote:

It's not the real Grail?!?!

Sir Gallihad, Quest for the Holy Grail

quote:

(Smack!)That was for blasphemy,Junior!

Henry Jones Sr., Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

quote:

Don,t worry, the handles are magnetized.
(different person)Which,if your hands were made out of metal that would mean something.

Exitor and Crow , Mystery Science Theater 3000 The Movie

quote:

What is your name , young boy?
(different person) Art Choo.
Ah,see now,you have already caught cold.Come in.

Master Key , Kung Phoey

quote:

Ah, a guest, welcome!Well ,actually,you aren't really welcome and very soon , you wont be a guest.

A character from my story.

quote:

All your base are belong to us.

Cats, Zero Wing.Classic.

quote:

Ah , welcome,welcome to....your dungeon! Let me show you to your cell!

Jailer, Robin Hood,Men in Tights.

quote:

Message for you sir!

Concord,Quest for the Holy Grail.

And that's about it.Okay,one more.

quote:

Adios,Stupido.

Indiana Jones,Raiders of the Lost Ark.

There.Most of these are funny,but the first one I remembered and always think about from time to time.It shows how humans aren't robots and cant be programmed to act a way all theyre life.We have our own ideas.

Edit:
quote:

Hey,first post!

Almost every forum member at some time.

< Message edited by BraveSirRobin -- 3/30/2014 23:46:36 >
Post #: 200
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> Out of Context >> RE: The Official Quotes Thread
Page 8 of 10«<678910>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition