Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: Where Did You Learn... Your Grammar?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> RE: Where Did You Learn... Your Grammar?
Page 3 of 4<1234>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
9/15/2008 6:21:12   
Fenrir Wolfsoul

Its not my fault... Its this place... The L&L board... it makes you... smarter...

*woman shreiks and faints*

uhm... ok

anyway i was always pretty good with my grammar,but since I came here I keep fixing my sentances. It like "oh missed a comma" or "should I really use an exclaimation point?" I play critic for two days and I get drafted... oh well, I guess I'm going to have to learn to be a Grammar Nazi. ZEI HIEL FALERIN! lol
AQ  Post #: 51
9/18/2008 15:08:50   
.Discipline

It's not my fault that I'm stupendous smart and talented. Sheesh.

I'm British. We naturally have better grammar and overall linguisitic skills, albeit due to a longer school day and better education system. But I don't mean to boast.

My English teacher is brilliant and spurs me on well. I get top grades in by class and I continually achieve an A-grade standard on my English Literature and English Language classes, both of which I decided to take on for GCSE (British version of high school diploma)

My entire family uses good grammar, and, in fact, I live in quite a smart area in general, so I picked it up fast.

< Message edited by .Discipline -- 9/18/2008 15:10:22 >

AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 52
9/18/2008 15:16:39   
Amboo
October 2008 Poet of the Month...Woot!

So discipline you think all English people have naturally better grammar than most...... *cough* chavs*cough*

'Nuff said.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 53
9/18/2008 16:37:40   
.Discipline

Chavs are nature's bottom rung. You will find them in any country as the lowest common form of life. On average, better grammar is employed by those in Britain who are not chavs than in most other countries due to the education systems in place on the British Isles.

It is much harder to get a pass at GCSE in Britain than it is to get a High School Diploma everywhere else. Meaning those who DO study hard and don't drop out generally have higher intelligence, and in most cases, grammar, than those in other countries. I have yet to see a chav with GCSEs.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 54
9/19/2008 16:40:41   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Well, personally, I don't think having a poor education system is a complete excuse to having bad grammar. As you can tell from the thread, most/many people learned grammar from reading and stuff. Even without a good education system, if someone is willing to learn, I think they still can attain proper grammar. It's just up to them, since they aren't forced into it in school or anything.

There are obvious exceptions to this, of course. My heart definitely goes out to all those who didn't have English as their main language and want to write in L&L. Or, people who live in poorer countries who have food to worry about and therefore cannot put the effort into things like grammar. All of that I sympathize with greatly. ;)

AQ  Post #: 55
9/20/2008 19:15:28   
.Discipline

Unfortunately it is simply a fact that there is a strong correlation between a person's financial position and their grammar in most cases. I have the utmost respect for those who push themselves to learn despite the fact that tuition is not readily available for them. Those who write in L&L without English as their first language are personal heroes of mine. I cannot even begin to imagine speaking that well in another language, let alone making it beautiful, fluent and coherent.

I once tried writing poetry in French and fell flat on my face. I respect those who do not speak English as a first language writing here as I have experienced how hard it is to write like that.

Even for people like Amboo and myself, coming from Britain, we have different grammar and spelling rules than the USA. Colour/Color, Armour/Armor, Trousers/Pants etc.

AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 56
9/21/2008 18:21:47   
leon lionheart

I know plenty of people who never studied or worked hard and got their GCSE's yeah so chavs aren't dumb. In fact you'll find they act dumb due to it being the big thing, it's as if people got so modest about being smart that they've gone all the way back to pretending to be dumb :/

I personally don't like the term stereotypical and such when we all know everyone has their reasons. Now I agree with Discipline, Britian has a great education system and it is a really hard thing to get GCSE's. However let us not forget in different countries the school level of how hard it is, fluctuates a great deal depending on the school whereas with us our school's level is the same throughout which means smarter people can't excel pass until after school but it also means people less fourtunate in the brain area have a good chance at learning and getting good grades.

Also Discipline, Amboo is not british...he's Irish. I would change it quick before you feel Amboo's wrath for making such an error.
AQ DF  Post #: 57
9/26/2008 16:51:28   
Toblerone.

What i can't stand at all is the people who don't speak or type properly. Like Discipline, i just picked up my grammar from the place i lived, and i must say that not the whole of Britain is "Chavy". I just can't stand all of it, to be honest. It really gets on my nerves.
DF  Post #: 58
2/8/2009 3:50:39   
bobby1013852

friends and books and other sources

AQ DF MQ  Post #: 59
2/8/2009 6:48:54   
Xirminator

In my case it's from reading and reading and more reading.
AQ DF  Post #: 60
2/8/2009 8:57:36   
15cman

Mostly from my teachers.At around 1rst-3rd grade they started to press upon us the important of grammar and spelling, but mostly grammar.So I guess that was engraved on my brain so I would never ever forget, and I haven't.So far ;).

Oh and books,too.After reading a single book about 3 times, it just stuck to me, the way they write and their grammar.

< Message edited by 15cman -- 2/8/2009 8:58:45 >
DF MQ  Post #: 61
2/8/2009 13:13:41   
Smalls

Books, school, and the OOC grammar nazis (Alexmacf, Marvin_the_robot, and Shimmersoul)
DF  Post #: 62
3/30/2009 0:35:20   
marvin_the_robot

My mother, who has instilled a great love of everything related to literature in every fiber of my being.
DF  Post #: 63
3/30/2009 0:36:44   
Crimzon5

I learned my grammar by reading stuff here.
AQ DF  Post #: 64
3/31/2009 5:34:48   
Xirminator

quote:

Mostly from my teachers.At around 1rst-3rd grade they started to press upon us the important of grammar and spelling, but mostly grammar.So I guess that was engraved on my brain so I would never ever forget, and I haven't.So far ;).

Most of teachers I have (unless they're English teachers [although some of those still screw up occasionally], all have mediocre grammar skills. I can say that I learned the basic stuff at school, when I was about ten. At that age, I was reading books far beyond my age, so I sort of learned.
AQ DF  Post #: 65
3/31/2009 16:25:55   
Firefly
Lore-ian

I've had an English teacher /and/ a creative writing teacher who both admitted to have horrendous spelling. As for the others, well, most of my English teachers didn't teach much grammar--mainly novel studies--with the exception of one. He is quite possibly the favourite teacher I ever had (though /not/ because of the grammar, I stress).
AQ  Post #: 66
4/26/2009 7:52:44   
blade bane

I learnt mine from Matthew Riley books. 11 was probably too young to read them, but I learnt a lot from them.
All you have to do is analyze the texts.
AQ  Post #: 67
4/26/2009 9:02:14   
Samlotoflol

reading. I love it and story writing
DF  Post #: 68
4/26/2009 21:11:08   
Fornever

Ah yes, Matthew Reilly. Ten wasn't the best place to start either. My parents yelled at me for an hour when they found out what was in them. Especially Temple.
But school and reading are the places where I got them. Reading especially.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 69
5/19/2009 22:49:03   
Xyphon

Just kinda picked it up.. Weird how things work on the internet.

quote:

What i can't stand at all is the people who don't speak or type properly.

And yet you don't capitalize the word "I"? Kind of a hypocritical sentence there, Copernicus.

< Message edited by Xyphon -- 5/20/2009 10:39:12 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 70
5/24/2009 21:08:47   
Gianna Glow

Books, Here, and learning other languages. Its amazing how much learning beginners german and beginners spanish has helped me understand english grammar!
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 71
5/24/2009 21:37:04   
Ilø€IMPERIAL€ølI

Hm ... maybe I picked it up from my dad ^_^

Jk, mostly from school and books :D

~Emp
Post #: 72
5/25/2009 12:21:59   
Xirminator

quote:

Books, Here, and learning other languages. Its amazing how much learning beginners german and beginners spanish has helped me understand english grammar!

For some reason, I still think that English doesn't have a grammar. I know it's wrong, but at least I'm safe from the over-complex convolutions of my own mother tongue.
AQ DF  Post #: 73
5/28/2009 20:44:02   
not steve

I suppose it was my parents, they are very articulate and alliterate.
AQ DF  Post #: 74
5/30/2009 12:00:15   
ChaoticFlame

quote:

I learned my grammar by reading stuff here.

Does that mean your grammar is below average?

~CFWonders...

AQ DF MQ  Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> RE: Where Did You Learn... Your Grammar?
Page 3 of 4<1234>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition