Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: Worth His Weight In Words - Conversations Regarding The Aforementioned Title

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> RE: Worth His Weight In Words - Conversations Regarding The Aforementioned Title
Page 2 of 3<123>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
9/25/2008 20:37:01   
Dathomir2

I enjoy the diamante pattern. I was never able to write a good one, and found them rather dreary, prefering quick, rhyming verse over English gramatical rules in poetry. However, I am rather well read in mythology, and understand your subject, and consider it, dare I say, beautiful.
AQ MQ  Post #: 26
9/25/2008 20:44:15   
.::oDrew

I don't strictly or necessarily write diamante style, but I suppose it - or of its variations - does occasionally find its way into my poems.

Thanks for the comments. :D
Post #: 27
9/25/2008 20:51:14   
Dathomir2

I was referring to your latest one. However, I must say, you remind me of Walt Whitman. I still dont savor this type of poetry, but your poems, just like his, have this magic weaved into them that makes me wish to read them.
AQ MQ  Post #: 28
9/25/2008 20:54:04   

Walt Whitman is one of my favorites; I particularly love Song of Myself.

So clearly, it's quite encouraging to know that my poetry is at least reminiscent of his.
Post #: 29
9/25/2008 20:57:33   
Dathomir2

One of my faves 2. I had it today in literature, so its funny you should mention it. I however enjoy, oddly, the writings of... Its amazing. I just forgot her name. She wrote Fame is a bee, Im a nobody, and others.
AQ MQ  Post #: 30
9/25/2008 21:00:11   

Emily Dickinson. Studying classic American poetry, I take it?
Post #: 31
9/25/2008 21:01:28   
Dathomir2

Thats it! And no, I just study whatever catches my ear.
AQ MQ  Post #: 32
9/25/2008 22:35:52   

Oh, cool. I thought you meant all of those were the authors you were studying in your Literature class.
Post #: 33
9/29/2008 16:05:08   

New poem up, "A Life Twice Lost."
Post #: 34
9/29/2008 16:43:09   
Mittoo

I'm not really a 'poetry person'.

Even still, I'm utterly stunned by how good your writings are.

I really wish the set texts we're forced to read were half as good as these - they ooze with meaning, and speak beyond their means.
AQ  Post #: 35
10/1/2008 12:45:04   

How flattering! I truly do make an attempt to craft poems that actually mean something, perhaps effect the reality or perspective of the reader. In my opinion, poetry ought to speak not simply to the mind, but also to the heart and soul of a person. Every poem, just like any other piece of literature, has the potential to spark change in various aspects; perhaps the ideas and emotions of a single person might be affected, perhaps the ideological philosophy of an entire country.

In fact, it is for this reason that I chose the title "Worth is Weight in Words." Think about what this means for a moment or two: is it possible for the value of a man - intrinsically, socially, morally, ethically, and so on and so forth - to be assessed by the words he speaks? In my opinion, most certainly so! Surely, our actions can effect the world as strongly as our words, but it is difficult for a man to honestly say one thing while actually doing another. If he does not speak honestly, that is, says one thing but does another, we can still judge him by the value of his words; because of his dishonesty, we cannot trust his words and therefore they lose their meaning and value.

This is all a rather long-winding explanation of why I am so glad to hear that you feel my compositions carry so much meaning. My poetry comes from within myself - it is not limited to a certain section of my brain, but rather it encompasses my entire mind and being. It is the only way I know to illustrate my soul's musings in a way that can be read and understood. I believe in my poetry, but it is a result of me; of me being honest with myself. When I hear that my poetry is appreciated, I take great comfort in the fact that I am not the only one who understands myself.

So, once again, thanks. :P
Post #: 36
10/3/2008 16:49:25   

New poem up. I wrote this in the cafeteria earlier today on the back of a paper lunch menu.
Post #: 37
10/5/2008 20:53:16   
SL

I must say, I enjoy these. Free-verse suits you well. One thing I noticed though was the lack of grammar and punctuation in places. It makes it more powerful, in my opinion, when you have the right form of a word, and the correct endings of sentences and the like. You're a great poet. Keep up the good work. Thanks for the comment, by the way. n_n
AQ DF  Post #: 38
10/5/2008 22:21:18   

A hearty thanks to you in return! n_n

Hmm, I usually have some reason (or perhaps think I have one) for certain ways of using grammar, but I'll give it a thorough once-over to make sure. ;o
Post #: 39
10/7/2008 3:09:57   

New poem up, the result of a stroke of inspiration at 12:30 AM.

Also it's weird being at the top of the list now. o_O
Post #: 40
10/12/2008 21:24:55   
Firefly
Lore-ian

I liked your lastest piece. Great work on flow, language, and emotion. Good job at portraying how he needs to be loved, ect.

A few suggestions below. I hope they're of help.

quote:

i arose,

For some reason, I think "rose" flows better... Could be just me.

quote:

yet of them all, once face seemed less strange to me.

"one"?

quote:

words escaped me.

This was a bit confusing... I thought he /did/ speak, as in, the words escaped from his mouth and were spoken. Perhaps "eluded" or something to clear the confusion?

AQ  Post #: 41
10/22/2008 0:37:08   

Succinct new poem up.
Post #: 42
10/22/2008 0:57:56   
  Master Samak
Productive!
Steward Leprechaun
L&L

How... deeply interesting.

"An Announcement" is considered a one-liner poem, yes?
AQ DF  Post #: 43
10/22/2008 1:11:28   

Almost. Though it's technically two.
Post #: 44
11/7/2008 0:53:48   

New poem, finally. It might get longer at some point. We'll see.
Post #: 45
11/21/2008 16:17:32   

New poem up, bit of a different style than usual.
Post #: 46
12/11/2008 23:16:48   
Alixander Fey

I hate freeverse poetry. Like, you have to be really, really, really spiffy to make me life your freeverse poetry. But I love everything of yours. :o I want your way with words. want/need is amazing.

DF  Post #: 47
12/12/2008 0:54:41   

Ha, glad to hear it. (To be honest, I was a getting a little worried as I read the first part of your comment. :P)

I'm taking a class called "Writing Poetry and Fiction" next semester, so I certainly hope that I will continue to improve my skillz.
Post #: 48
12/12/2008 6:57:21   
Alixander Fey

Sweetness! I wish I had time to take writing classes. They sound fun. :)
DF  Post #: 49
12/20/2008 16:54:18   
Cow Face
One Heck of a Guy

Having read your poetry just earlier today, I now have one regret. I regret not having read it sooner. I must admit to a personal bias: I prefer structured poetry over free-verse. Your free-verse, though, is more poetic than a large amount of structured poetry which I have read. Your writings contain great emotion; I feel almost as though you are speaking to me personally when I read your work. Vocabulary and description are perhaps your strongest points to me, they give great depth to your verse. While I read most all of them with my mouth slightly agape with awe, there were a few in particular which stood out to me.

A Life Twice Lost - This was the first thing by you which I ever read. The repetition herein added quite a bit to it, it symbolized to me the monotony of an obscure existence with the purpose only to exist. What many of us seem unable to comprehend- I often have difficulty truly understanding it myself- is that when we die, the world will not be greatly affected. Yes, those near us, such as the man's wife in the poem, will be hurt, possibly even angered, but the world as a whole will soon forget us; our existence will simply... disappear.

An Announcement - Despite the fact that it is only two lines long, I loved this poem. Indeed, it has since come to mind quite often as I go about my daily life.

Finally, Thyself was an excellent psychological poem.
"for i would rather die as myself, alone,
than die a nobody among nobodies."
This line especially appealed to me. I cannot seem to sum up the well of emotion and thought which it provoked in me. To put it simply, it was truly beautiful.

Before I go for now, though, I must point out a minor typo, as is (perhaps unfortunately) my wont. If Wishes Were - First verse, final line: devine should be divine.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> RE: Worth His Weight In Words - Conversations Regarding The Aforementioned Title
Page 2 of 3<123>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition