Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =PROSE= What Are You Reading?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> RE: =PROSE= What Are You Reading?
Page 4 of 9«<23456>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2/1/2009 15:53:09   
Xirminator

Eldest isn't bad. I enjoyed it.

The plot gets way more convoluted, and in a way, better.
AQ DF  Post #: 76
2/4/2009 18:26:17   
Forty Two

I finished reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace,The Quest for Karla by John Le Carre and Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman a little while ago.Right now I'm reading Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. I want to pick up Fragile Things when I have some extra money.
DF  Post #: 77
2/7/2009 17:12:36   
Akredis

Currently i'm reading Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelson. It may be nice for fans of Hatchet, though I think this is still better. For some readers it may be disturbing. One of the reasons I like it is it deals with important social issues with a fifteen year old boy, and has a great deal of sentimentality; some of it revolving around the "circle".

Not that into Eragon.
DF  Post #: 78
2/7/2009 17:31:27   
Smalls

I'm reading The Sight, I forget the author's name, but it's not Erin Hunter, other author, it's a good book, heart-breaking, because these wolves you get to love well, something bad happens to, some of the book seems to be the wolf version of Christianity (as in, Jesus being in wolf form, and yeah), it's great
DF  Post #: 79
2/8/2009 12:19:57   
Firefly
Lore-ian

I'm currently under a dilemna, because I'm halfway through The Tale of the Body Thief just as I finally get my hands on The Vampire Lestat. I dunno if I should finish the former first or if I should read the latter first since it comes before in the series. <_< So, because I don't want to decided, I ended up reading the 16th Writers of the Future Anthology. Like Iron Unicorns was beautiful. Home Grown had an interesting concept, though what was done with it is similar to many other "technology is going to destroy us" stories.

@Forty Two
Fragile Things is in a league of its own. I wasn't extremely impressed by every story, but there was one that left me breathless--it impacted me more than any other short story, nay, story, in my life. And I can't explain why.
AQ  Post #: 80
2/8/2009 14:28:20   
Xirminator

I've considered getting the Writers of the Future anthologies, or at least some of them. What are they like?
AQ DF  Post #: 81
2/8/2009 17:43:56   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Lots of science fiction so far. However, both the anthologies I have are rather old, so times might be changing now. I haven't gotten around to reading too much, though they like original ideas and I heard that having the speculative element introduced asap is a good idea. The only story off a more recent anthology I read (the 2007 one) was Primetime, which is really good. However, again, I haven't read enough yet. Science fiction mainly, atm. Not sure about the fantasy.
AQ  Post #: 82
2/9/2009 9:18:07   
Xirminator

Basically I'm scouting for information here :P

What about writing quality?
AQ DF  Post #: 83
2/9/2009 17:31:41   
Firefly
Lore-ian

My knowledge isn't entirely adequate, so what I'm saying below is simply my half-witted observations. Don't yell at me if I'm semi-wrong. =P

In the anthologies, and in most speculative fiction in general from my observations, writing doesn't call attention to itself. The focus is on telling a good story, so from what I'm seeing, the concept matters more than the prose. The prose functions to carry the story forward; if it that does, it's successful. The winners' stories are base off that concept, so they all communicate and storytell quite well, though few if any use very "literary" prose. If I'm making sense. Trying too hard with the prose might yield less favourable results than simply keeping it understandable. The grammar is pretty clean, and I doubt it's just because they've been copyedited. Anyhow, I think what matters most is the story/concept, not the technical writing. Pretty much the same everywhere else, too.

Once again, my personal inadequate observations. The bottom line is to write the best darn story /you/ can and remember it's /your/ work you're putting out, if I'm making sense. Keep your audience in mind, but make sure your voice shines through.
AQ  Post #: 84
2/9/2009 21:17:43   
Forty Two

Finished reading After the Dancing Days for school.Ireally don't like what they make us read. Too short.Still reading Gravity's Rainbow. This may be the most dense book ever.

@Firefly
I have Smoke and Mirrors are any of the stories in Fragile Things similiar to those?

< Message edited by Forty Two -- 2/9/2009 21:18:44 >
DF  Post #: 85
2/9/2009 22:49:00   
Firefly
Lore-ian

@Forty Two
Sorry, I can't say, 'cause I never read Smoke and Mirrors (though I heard it's really good). The only Gaiman I read are Fragile Things and American Gods.
AQ  Post #: 86
2/10/2009 4:59:36   
Xirminator

Thank you Firefly. I managed to have a peek at some of the anthologies online (using amazon), and well... I... *gives up* :P
AQ DF  Post #: 87
2/10/2009 18:29:05   
Firefly
Lore-ian

I probably won't be reading too much more of the anthology 'til later, 'cause I finished The Tale of the Body Thief and The Vampire Lestat is just sucking me inside. =P Even when I'm done that, I'll have 1984 to read for English. I don't mind; I've been dying to read it anyways and now is a good chance.
AQ  Post #: 88
2/11/2009 9:43:52   
Xirminator

I almost whipped out THE PUN when you said "The Vampire Lestat is just sucking me inside."

I'm expecting new books to arrive :D Going to have to decide which to read from around eight or nine. I see a dilemma coming up.
AQ DF  Post #: 89
2/11/2009 18:22:40   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Oh, darn, I didn't even realize that was a pun, lol. Seriously, completely unintentional!
AQ  Post #: 90
2/11/2009 18:27:20   
Fornever

My mom decided to be nice to me and got me the complete Saga of Seven Suns by Kevin J. Anderson. Very amazing sci-fi epic.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 91
2/12/2009 16:30:01   
Recar Dragonlance

Going Postal - Terry Pratchett.

Somehow he makes me excited about the Fantasy element instead of just sticking around for the lolz. It's a great book, my first of his that I've read. The characters are original (or unoriginal, but I assume that was author-intended) and the plot strangely different.
DF  Post #: 92
2/13/2009 8:18:53   
Xirminator

Terry Pratchett is very good, Recar, in my opinion. I've recently ordered three of his books :D
AQ DF  Post #: 93
2/13/2009 12:29:11   
15cman

I'm reading Ranger's Apprentice The Battle For Skandia(or the Oak leaf Bearers, if you live in places like Australia).
DF MQ  Post #: 94
2/13/2009 12:35:31   
SoulShatter
Banned

My mom was nice: I got the complete Artemis Fowl saga. Read book 1 and 4. Now reading number 2.

~S.S~
AQ DF  Post #: 95
2/13/2009 16:30:46   
Firefly
Lore-ian

That reminds me, I've had the second Artemis Fowl book sitting on my desk for months untouched. <_<

Finished Volume 16 of the Writers of the Future anthologies. I might read 17 or I might read The Vampire Lestat. Or neither if my projects take over my life. >_>
AQ  Post #: 96
2/13/2009 16:34:25   
Xirminator

I've read the first Artemis Fowl myself. It was ok, though I didn't really think he was that much of a genius.
AQ DF  Post #: 97
2/13/2009 16:49:30   
Smalls

The Stormcaller by Tom Lloyd, it's really good, I'd recomend it to anyone who likes fantasy
~Smally Girl (Smalls)
DF  Post #: 98
2/13/2009 17:05:42   
Firefly
Lore-ian

I liked the first Artemis Fowl. I just didn't have the time to read the second due to my Dark Tower fever.
AQ  Post #: 99
2/20/2009 10:32:15   
Fleur Du Mal

I started today re-reading Eiji Yoshikawa's historic novel Musashi. I have previously read that book in my own language but that 'version' was translated from the English translation, not from the original Japanese. Now I've gotten my hands on the English translation, so I'm very excited to see if it'll mesmerize me even better now that I can (delusion?) think like I were a bit closer to the original. =P

Since there's been so much ruckus about the Twilight (for and against), I'm considering hopping on the bus myself. Too bad it's currently one of those books that are not very well available from the library, as there are only few copies and a huge queue.... I wonder why =P

DF  Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> RE: =PROSE= What Are You Reading?
Page 4 of 9«<23456>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition