Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =PROSE= What Are You Reading?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> RE: =PROSE= What Are You Reading?
Page 5 of 9«<34567>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2/20/2009 12:04:53   
Xirminator

Started the Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett. Once I'm done I'm moving to the sequel (The Light Fantastic).
AQ DF  Post #: 101
2/20/2009 16:19:09   
Firefly
Lore-ian

/me wonders if she can mail her copy to Fabula, then realizes that she doesn't own Twilight, only New Moon and Eclipse

Haha, that's actually part of the reason I read Twilight. I got annoyed I was an outsider. =P But mainly, it was because I knew I would be able to get a few hours' good entertainment from that book, no matter its "literary" quality.

Le gasp! I returned Eldest without reading it in order to check out the last two books of A Series of Unfortunate Events... Wait, wait, don't beat me up yet, Paolini fans! I do plan on checking out Eldest again once I finish ASoUE. It'll be easy to check out since my school has a million copies. But I gotta finish reading ASoUE. I haven't looked at one of those books for years and I've almost forgotten how much I liked them along with forgetting too many events to count...
AQ  Post #: 102
2/20/2009 17:39:52   
Recar Dragonlance

Fire of the Soul.

Well I have to read it before I can do anything to it.
DF  Post #: 103
3/5/2009 16:30:33   
Firefly
Lore-ian

/me lols at Recar

Just finished Kenneth Oppel's Starclimber. A-mazing. I got in trouble for reading it in class but it was worth it. =P His side characters often become his best characters; he's come a long way from using the "childhood bully" for a side character that annoys but helps the protagonist like he did in Silverwing. Don't get me wrong, Silverwing is one of my favourite books, but the side characters in Starclimber (and the other Airborne books) tops those in Silverwing by miles.

I should be reading 1984 next, due to English class requirements. Someone punch me if I accidentally decide to stop for Scar Night or something. =P Funny, I really wanted to read 1984, but after being required to do it for English... my interest just waned.
AQ  Post #: 104
3/5/2009 19:19:52   
Amboo
October 2008 Poet of the Month...Woot!

Scar tissue by Anthony Kiedis of The Red Hot Chili Peppers. By far the best biography I have ever read and almost the best book in general. Not for the sensitive people though.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 105
3/6/2009 4:14:54   
Eddy II

quote:

Well, I just finished re-reading The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

My favourite trilogy of five ever.
AQ  Post #: 106
3/8/2009 21:53:11   
Forty Two

Finished reading Gravity's Rainbow,Sick Puppy and Skinny Dip by Carl Hiassan,and am now reading The True Adventures of The Rolling Stones.I started The Night Manager but got sidetracked.I didn't really like the third and later books in The hitchhiker's series.
DF  Post #: 107
3/15/2009 10:26:49   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Finished 1984. Awesome, amazing ending and extremely powerful theme, but some of the beginning parts weren't up to par with the powerful end. All in all, not as engrossing a read as I would've liked due to how many positive responses I've heard from people (so I was expecting /a lot/) but on its own, my expectations aside, it's wonderful.

Currently reading Stephen King's Dolores Claiborne, but this isn't definite. I might decide to squeeze in some Scar Night and a few other books in my possession.
AQ  Post #: 108
3/18/2009 23:00:25   
Baker

I'm in the middle of four books right now, but what I've been reading the most is Eats, Shoots and Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss. She's crazy strict even by my standards, but the book is interesting and amusing so far. I'd recommend it to a fellow grammar Nazi.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 109
3/19/2009 0:11:36   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Finished Dolores Claiborne. A very powerful character study, highly different, and tolerable even if it doesn't have chapter divisions. Currently reading Scar Night by Alan Campbell under Recar's recommendation.
AQ  Post #: 110
3/20/2009 18:52:33   
Flig

Currently, I'm almost half-way through For Whom the Bell Tolls. I've never really liked Hemmingway, but this book is a pretty good read.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 111
3/25/2009 4:09:00   
illusion99

I finish reading brisinger.
I heard that the book Count of monte cristo is nice.
AQ DF  Post #: 112
3/25/2009 11:59:19   
Xirminator

Reading the fourth book in the Songs of Merlin or something series, by Barron. (It's obvious I don't know what the book's called and what the series is. That's because exams have shrunk my brain and my reading time.)

EDIT: The Mirror of Merlin, the Lost Years of Merlin series. :D

< Message edited by Xirminator -- 3/25/2009 12:00:09 >
AQ DF  Post #: 113
3/25/2009 19:31:11   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Breaking Dawn. After a long wait at the public library. I hope the Twilight-crazed people don't know I have it or they'll rip it away from me. =P
AQ  Post #: 114
3/25/2009 19:42:18   
Xirminator

quote:

Breaking Dawn. After a long wait at the public library. I hope the Twilight-crazed people don't know I have it or they'll rip it away from me. =P

I got the movie a week ago. I haven't watched it yet. Call that anti-crazed? :P
AQ DF  Post #: 115
3/25/2009 19:53:14   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Meh, I haven't watched the movie at all and I don't plan to. I don't think that has anything to do with craze or not. I only watched the first three HP movies but I concede to being a pure HP uber-fan (I won't mind watching the rest, but I'm not actively trying to see them either). Being a fan isn't about how much merchandise you get, but about how much you enjoy the works themselves. I don't need--and don't have the money to get--the movies to be a fan. =P
AQ  Post #: 116
3/26/2009 22:16:47   
UrufuHiken
Creative!

I have just finished reading Epic, by Conor Kostick, and intend to read the sequel, Saga.
I was bored and decided to check the book out from a local Library. It was quite interesting really, and a fun read to boot.

If anyone has ever scene or heard of the .Hack// anime/manga, then you would have a rough idea on what to expect from this book:

Based in the far future, earth was corrupt and taring itself apart. People wishing to escape the violence set out in search for a new home, casting out into to space and searching for a new planet on which to settle. Through the many long years of space travel, to defeat the boredom a game was invented. Epic; a game vast in area and size, and more lifelike than any of its predecessors.
Over a thousand years has passed since the settlers made home on New Earth. Fearful of the violence that had torn their old world apart, the government has set up a new system. Now, all disputes, currency, and or otherwise, is settled in the game. However, even after a millennium, the system is still corrupt and faulty. With your wealth and standings dictated through your success in the game, growth in the advancement of the culture and the standings of the people is still deplorable and only getting worse.
In this period, our story takes place. A young boy, Erik, and his family - faced with the hard lifestyle so common to the millions that inhabit the planet - is about to loose everything. With the breaking of the families' solar panel, and the severe unfairness of his mother loosing in the arena, Erik throws himself desperately into the game. Fail after fail, and the melancholy that came with it, has caused Erik to become daring, and he tries a whole different approach to the game. Erik approaches the game, not as the governmental system it has become, but as the game it used to be.
Along the way, Erik has a little fun. By playing the game as it was intended, he begins to enjoy himself, taking up quest and talking to NPC's which were generally ignored by all the other players around the world as they struggle to collect meager pennies off weak monsters and support their family and home. His tactics are met with instant success, and he and his friends begin a quest for higher and greater things.
But things are not all as they seem. Central Allocations is more corrupt then ever, and there is something in the game that is stirring. Erik finds himself entangled in web of mystery and intrigue as the game reacts to his long desired for presence and C.A. begins to take a dangerous interest into the game's new heroes.
Wishing to change the corrupt government, Erick and his friends begin a dangerous quest within Epic. But as Epic comes alive, currupt, government officials become least of their worries, and life and death within them in the game, may very well mean the life and death of hope for hundreds of thousands of people across the world.
Post #: 117
3/27/2009 11:50:57   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Finished Breaking Dawn last night. I might reread the last chapter because I got so sleepy (and nervous that I'll get in trouble for staying up that late) by the end that I don't think managed to appreciate it fully. I have to say, Twilight-fan I am not, but this series didn't disappoint. It's easy to get into, easy to be entertained by, and Meyer manages to pull of things that are utterly ridiculous and maybe even perverse (such as Imprinting) without making it seem so.

Going to start Margaret Atwood's Handmaid's Tale. English class requirement. I like Atwood, but I'm a bit miffed she's garnering all the praise for a dystopian (and by extension, speculative) novel. I feel a bit sorry for the pure speculative authors who are shunned by the mainstream.
AQ  Post #: 118
3/27/2009 13:49:44   
Xirminator

One thing I hate, teachers who shun works of speculative fiction, thinking that it isn't real literature.
AQ DF  Post #: 119
3/27/2009 15:48:09   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Fortunately, I haven't yet met a teacher who outright /shuns/ speculative fiction (at least, they don't say it out loud). I met an author who claims to not like Stephen King but respects him for his own brand of genius (I find that opinion very acceptable; I mean, there are authors I don't like but I respect them for their ability to entertain others).

On the other hand, most of my teachers seem to stay away from speculative fiction. The school librarians seem to like mainstream, non-genre, and mystery. Same goes for most of the students. Except for one other person, I'm practically alone in my love for speculative fiction. So yeah, though they don't say bad stuff outright, it seems like, in their heads, speculative fiction might as well as not exist.
AQ  Post #: 120
3/27/2009 21:02:14   
marvin_the_robot

Right now, I'm trying to read Brisingr. I dunno, I thought the series was the greatest thing since pie in the 6th Grade, but now it kind of lost its magic. I even went so far as to go back and re-read the previous installments, but I found myself to be as bored and uninterested with them as the third book.

This is about my 4th attempt to go more than a paragraph without putting the book down in favor of doing something else. I'm really trying hard to finish it this time :/
DF  Post #: 121
3/27/2009 21:22:14   
UrufuHiken
Creative!

@ marvin_the_robot

I understand what you mean, but don't worry too much. The first half of the book is rather slow, but it starts to take off after a while, and its pretty good around the end.

So the series remains to still be rather good, not my favorite, but still rather good.

Post #: 122
3/28/2009 20:22:05   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Meh, I find that, as I get older, I find flaws much more easily. I opened the fourth HP book a while back and I realized I kept on getting annoyed by random style objections. However, I think I've managed to quieten my editor side recently so that, though I still notice things, I don't get annoyed by them. The Dark Tower series is largely responsible for this, so I have to thank King. =P

I still enjoy books for younger readers, especially children's literature. And I'm fairly proud of this, actually. I remember the librarian asking me if I was picking up Starclimber for someone else and I was like, "No, it's for me." I don't consider it a guilty pleasure, somewhat because Oppel is one of the few writers that even my pesky editor side can't pick at much. Go children's lit!

...On the other hand, most YA I don't enjoy that much (the fantasy ones like His Dark Materials are an entirely different thing. Eragon was alright, too. Much better than the highschool gum-crack stuff that graces most of the YA shelf. Heh, and they wonder why YA fantasy sells; simple: teens either have to read that or the really really terrible chic lit/sport books. Unlike adult fantasy, these books don't have that much tough competition). YA books are often so mainstream, doing the same thing over and over again while still claiming to make some profound statements on the "real world." Pssh. Setting a story on earth doesn't make it deep any more than secondary world fantasy automatically makes a work shallow.

To be more on topic, and yes this relates to the above ramble, my teacher's going to be unhappy to hear that I put down The Handmaid's Tale in favour of A Game of Thrones. Choosing high fantasy over dystopian... Ah well. I'll read Handmaid. I just want to finish Throne before the library starts yelling at me for overdues. (plus, it's much more interesting. Looks like this originally non-genre reader is being converted into a complete fantasist) =P
AQ  Post #: 123
3/28/2009 20:59:32   
UrufuHiken
Creative!

@ Firefly.

I know what you mean. For almost every book I go through these days, I find myself pointing out little typos and whatnot, and fussing around with how I think the style is. A few years prior, I would have never even taken notice.

I don't know about children's literature, but I have most undoubtedly been fully converted to an avid fantasy fan. I still like other books, but nothing sticks with me like fantasy.
Post #: 124
3/29/2009 1:45:54   
marvin_the_robot

@Firefly: I've actually read some pretty decent YA Sports Lit. books. Not all of them are good, I'll admit, but I found that some are quite a good read. I've recently become a fan of Chris Crutcher's works; they're YA, but they tend to have more focus on psychological insight into the teenage mind, with sports and stuff mixed in. Some profanity, sexual content, etc., but it's better than a lot of adult literature out there in my opinion.

First book I ever read by him was Ironman , just a random book I picked up that somebody lost during the 8th Grade. I highly suggest it for anyone who's mature enough to not get all excited when a book drops the f-bomb on you :)

If you like that, I suggest to read some of his other works, such as Stotan! and Running Loose.
DF  Post #: 125
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> RE: =PROSE= What Are You Reading?
Page 5 of 9«<34567>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition