Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =PROSE= What Are You Reading?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> RE: =PROSE= What Are You Reading?
Page 7 of 9«<56789>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/10/2009 15:25:30   
[Leviathan]

Smoke and Mirrors, by Neil Gaiman. For his first published anthology of short stories, this book was a serious mental trip - through his mind and my own. But that was last week.

This week, I've been taking my time with The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde. The characters are endearing, and yet completely and utterly unusual - especially Lord Henry, for those of you who have read it. The pages are few, but the work is saturated with meaning (social, spiritual, personal, etc.).
Post #: 151
7/13/2009 11:53:09   
Fornever

I've picked up the Divine Comedy. I'm kind of busy at the moment, but I've been trying to find some time to read.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 152
7/15/2009 22:23:04   
Reaper Sigma

I'm readding Lord of the Rings:The Two Towers. Not something people who don't like high fantasies should read. It was also written about fifty years ago, and some of the vocab is old. You get past that, it' s great book.
Post #: 153
7/15/2009 23:18:03   
TW25

Currently I'm reading Foundation by Isaac Asimov. After that I'm going to start on Dracula by Bram Stoker.
AQ AQW  Post #: 154
7/16/2009 14:39:50   
Poetic Melody

Right now I'm reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, yeah it's WAY lower lexile then I read, but sometimes that's what makes a book better, easier to just flip through with out thought.
DF  Post #: 155
8/1/2009 4:25:48   
damani
banned

The wheel of time (Can't recall author-?), a history book on Cairo, and I've been breathing in my own work much more than usual recently.

I keep looking for my old copy of Dracula; can't find it.. :(
AQ DF  Post #: 156
8/3/2009 12:29:49   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind. Cue the screaming fanboys (quite a few) that I know are on L&L.

Actually, I'm procrastinating more than actually reading it. I have a novel and two short stories to finish as soon as possible, which means doorstopper books are taking a back seat.
AQ  Post #: 157
8/9/2009 23:47:01   
Poetic Melody

I finished re-reading "To Kill A Mocking-Bird" yesterday, and decided that I like re-reading, so I started re-reading one of my childhood favorites, The Westing Game. Love the storyline, though often more confusing then necessary. I plan on finishing tonight, it's a fast read. After that. . . I'm not sure.
DF  Post #: 158
8/10/2009 2:04:16   
Fleur Du Mal

Currently reading The Reader by Bernhard Schlink. Being half-way through it, I have quite enjoyed the intense experience. The author does slip into listing things occasionally, but that hasn't grown out to be too much of a problem, at least no yet. Interesting thoughts of the weight of the Holocaust.

Anyways, as I'm currently in Portland, I paid a visit to Powell's City of Books. I went a little crazy and bought 8 paperbacks, both new and used. Dunno where to start after finishing The Reader. =P But I do know that I can recommend visiting that enormously wonderful bookstore to anyone venturing into this town. =P
DF  Post #: 159
8/14/2009 16:56:10   
Anon Y. Mous
Creative!

The Alchemst by Paulo Coehlo.
I've just barely started it for school, but it seems good and should be good if the reviews are taken into account.
DF  Post #: 160
8/29/2009 19:34:22   
alexmacf

I'm currently reading The Jungle for school and The Immortals Quartet on my own.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 161
9/2/2009 12:11:42   
YukiKitty

I'm currently reading Wicked Lovely, Ink Exchange, and Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr. The fae, dark romance, mystery, a page turner...What else could I want in a book, or rather, books? :D

< Message edited by YukiKitty -- 9/2/2009 12:13:31 >
AQ DF  Post #: 162
9/4/2009 5:36:55   
Xirminator

Reading Forest Mage by Robin Hobb. It's excellent.
AQ DF  Post #: 163
9/4/2009 13:34:22   
Cow Face
One Heck of a Guy

I have re-read the first three books of, and am re-reading the last book of the Enchanted Forest chronicles (Dealing With Dragons, Searching For Dragons, Calling On Dragons and Talking To Dragons) by Patricia C. Wrede. They're quick reads, but packed with humorous parodies of and references to fairy tales. The dialogue is almost always witty, and they're good for light, comedic reading.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 164
9/4/2009 15:02:43   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Finished Wizard's First Rule a few days ago. The last 1/3 was pretty good, but it certainly didn't transform me into a fangirl. And I'll never, ever see fictional tears the same way again--and I don't mean this in a good way.

Fiddled around with The Dark Is Rising and decided to drop it for now. Instead, I'm going to undertake a project that I should've done over the summer but grew too busy to do: rereading Harry Potter. Started and finished Philosopher's Stone last night (and anyone who dares to call it Sorceror's Stone receives a bite, XD). I'm really looking forward to revisiting the last two books in particular, where the series really starts to mature.

And, a fun fact, upon rereading, I realized that Rowling influenced me both more and less than I thought. I know that makes no sense. ;)
AQ  Post #: 165
9/5/2009 2:41:48   
alexmacf

Yuki: Excellent books, I loved them. I'm starting to delve into the manga spin-off series (weird, I know, for me to be doing this, but there you have it).
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 166
9/6/2009 10:39:47   
Helixi

Phantom of the Opera. Simply put, epic.
AQ DF  Post #: 167
9/6/2009 10:54:42   
Smalls

@Yuki <3 those books :D
I'm reading Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins it's the sequel to Hunger Game
Those books are amazingness
~Bigm
DF  Post #: 168
9/6/2009 11:01:15   
Poetic Melody

@^ It's out? Great! Another book to add to my list when I go out to buy books today. Now the only question is which to read first. . .

Maximum Ride: School's Out Forever

Catching Fire

The Interrogation

Re-read The Secret Life of Bees

SLoB is great, but I'm leaning to go for another, so I get more books read.
DF  Post #: 169
9/6/2009 20:26:52   
Josh
Displaying lekcentric behaviour

Just finished a bunch of popular science books (mostly biology, e.g. Virolution, by Frank Ryan, a very interesting book on viral symbiosis/role of viruses in evolution past their often assumed role as simple parasites, but also a couple very very basic ones on quantum theory, which needed lots and lots of rereading...), so balancing that out with a bit of philosophy.

Got Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra today. Did Beyond Good and Evil by Nietzsche in school for a year, so hoping that'll help understand even a bit of the slightly more flowery language...so far, haven't found anything all that new. As far as I can tell anyway >.> But I love Nietzsche, whether I agree or totally think he's completely wrong, so it'll be fun.
AQ DF  Post #: 170
10/11/2009 14:49:43   
Fleur Du Mal

I picked up The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. Just to try out something that should be notably different from all the dark and serious books I've been reading lately. Plus, I haven't read any modern detective stories for a while.
DF  Post #: 171
10/11/2009 20:07:33   
PD

FrankenStein by Mary Shelley
Post #: 172
10/11/2009 21:46:24   
Wildroses
A beautiful Rose,
always and forever

I just finished Lois McMaster Bujold's The Hallowed Hunt, and I'm about to start Kate Grenville's The Secret River for my literature unit. Grenville really deserves a mention in the 'I know it's great literature but I say meh' thread. She dominates Australian literary discussion, but I just don't get into her.

Fabula, the later books in The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency books are much better than the first, by the way. The first lacks a coherant plot. It's more like a bunch of short stories. But after that they are all proper novels. I do recommend them. They are quite charming books.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 173
10/11/2009 21:48:26   
Peaches

I'm currently reading New Moon and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Both are really good.
AQ DF  Post #: 174
10/12/2009 4:20:16   
alexmacf

quote:

FrankenStein by Mary Shelley
I read that in fourth grade. I thought it was really scary (being about nine at the time). XD I just read it again recently. It's a very good book.
quote:

I'm currently reading New Moon and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Both are really good.
I can't say I liked BD, but HP6 is my second favourite in the series. xD
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 175
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> RE: =PROSE= What Are You Reading?
Page 7 of 9«<56789>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition