Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Linux Q&A

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> Linux Q&A
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
12/17/2008 18:01:47   
dominic_r_monroe

I Noticed, There Are ABSOLUTELY No Linux Posts
So I decided To Make One :D

Windows / Mac - Blue
Linux Equivalent - Red - Followed By Debian BASH Script

Graphics

GiMP - sudo apt-get install gimp

Paint
Gnu Paint - sudo apt-get install gpaint

3D Programs
KPovModeler - An Easy-To-Use Program With great results. I Couldnt Use Blender Or Anything for that Matter, But i Can Use This - sudo apt-get install kpovmodeler
Blender - More Advanced Than KPovModeler, I Found It Hard To Use

CAD
Qcad - sudo apt-get install qcad
Vector
Xara Xtreme - I think It May Still Be In Beta, But Is Easier, But slightly less functional than Fireworks.

[Animation]
My Current One Is Ktoon

An Anime Based Animator: Synfig Studios, Exports To mov ! Credits To Mo For Find.
Videos
Cinelerra
WebDesigners:
WYNSIG Editor: SeaMonkey Composer
Editor: Scream XML/HTML Editor
Editra (Programming NoteBook :] )

Media Players
Amarok
Mozilla Songbird :)
Hipps Ipod Tool

Other Interesting Programs:

Pixelize - Build Images From Lots Of Little Ones. Has A Massive Database of millions of Pictures.
Xaos - A Fractal Generator / Zoomer
Wink - A Tutorial / Presentation Builder, Very Good !
Wubi - An Installer For Ubuntu Which Doesn't Require An ISO Image - Credits To: SuperGuy
UnetBootin - MultiPlatform Start-up Disk Creator, For all You Hackers Out There It Includes BackTrack.
VirtualBox - Ubuntu Tutorial.
Ubuntu Live CD ISO Download (For VirtualBox Or LiveCD Burning)

Linux Extras (Didnt Know What To Call This Part)

• Taskmanager - - ps aux | less
  • KillProcess From Above Script - killall [processnamewithout['s ]

Gimp Cheats
Gimp C:\ Folder Equivalent *Unix - ~/.gimp-2.6/
NetCat
Netcat is The Best Server tool. It has Something for Everything Quite Literally. Its Known for being Telnet on Steroids. - And I Aggree
I Reccomend you Read The Following Tutorials [I did not write these tutorials and take no credibility for there content]
http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/2007/08/07/few-useful-netcat-tricks/
I will Also Give You A Little Trick Of Mine. - Install "sudo apt-get install mpg123" on the Client
then on the server
"cat Song.mp3 | nc -lp 1234"
On the Client
"nc [ServerIp] 1234 | mpg123 -"
the `-` after is VERY Important. This Will Play The Song You Specified in the Server On Your Client.

Linux Users List:
Me :D ( I Hate My Username :L )
Superguy
Mo - Ubuntu Was Removed Temporarily, is Looking Forward to Arch Linux.

If I forgot you, Post Or PM me.

Edit Decided To Make A Q&A Thread.

If You Find Any More Programs For Linux That You Like And Have Tested Please Share.
I Will Test Them First So Make Sure There Is A Debian Lying Around Somewhere For them
All Linux Programs mentioned In This Post Are Downloadable Via The Ubuntu Repositories.
If You Would Like Any Further Help With Linux, I Will Try My Best To Help. Just Comment.

< Message edited by dominic_r_monroe -- 8/11/2009 8:16:47 >

AQ  Post #: 1
12/17/2008 18:29:24   
Ferfo

what is this lunix deal?
Post #: 2
12/17/2008 18:44:11   
dominic_r_monroe

I Ruined Vista, So Went to linux. I Have Been Using for ages. And Other Than The Point That There Isnt A Flash program (Inoo Gutting) Its going great :D
If I remember Correctly The Link Rules Of The Forum Are Now Alowed To Goto Other sites If There Ist Explicit Content ? Please Correct me if Im Wrong.
--
Linux, Is a Seperate OS. Like Mac And Windows. But Its Free. It Has Software And Support For Nearly Everything. And The Best Bit Is, You Can Still Keep Windows :D
I Haven't Stopped Using Linux For the past 6 months. And Its Going Great. There Is A List Of Distros Here:
http://www.linux.org/info/ <-- Info On Linux
I Would Recomend a ubuntu / kubuntu / xubuntu distro from http://www.ubuntu.com/
But Fedora / RedHat Can Be A Good Choice. Its A Personal Thing. There Are Loads Of distros Around the net. Do A Search
AQ  Post #: 3
12/17/2008 19:40:22   
Ferfo

lunix good?
Post #: 4
12/17/2008 21:06:12   
Mo

It's linux. And there are different distributions. They can run different desktop environments for a Windows, Mac, or entirely new look. Ubuntu is the most popular distro right now, and can change desktop environments. There is also the Wine program and many other programs used to allow programs that are platform specific to work on Linux
AQ MQ  Post #: 5
12/18/2008 11:40:26   
dominic_r_monroe

Thanks For replying for Me Mo. Was Tired so went too bed.
I Reckon Linux Is Immense. Most servers & Phone Companies use it for Call, Because it is so much more reliable.
AQ  Post #: 6
12/18/2008 12:27:12   
Ferfo

i see
UBUNTU CAN EMULATE WINDOWS AND MAC LOOK
WINE CAN USE WINDOWS APPS ON LUNIX
LUNIX IS AWESOME!

why use software to emulate other op when you can get the real thing?
Post #: 7
12/18/2008 15:13:15   
dominic_r_monroe

Well Some People Either Dont Have Windows/Mac or Prefer to stay in them, But some of the better apps are written for Windows.
Linux. Ubuntu Is Very popular, Because Of Its Ability to keep being updated.

Wine Is Optional, I just UnInstalled Mine, It Had A Virus On It, Gave Me Some Free Anti virus though. Linux Is A Very Nice System,
Wide Community of most languages, arent you yourself Spanish Ferfo ? (Been Ages Since Ive Been Around, Please Correct Me If I amm Wrong)
Ubuntu the word is african.
Any More Questions ?
AQ  Post #: 8
12/18/2008 17:00:25   
Ferfo

so ubuntu is like blackbird.
it's cool because it's made for black people? you said ubuntu is african, so.
Post #: 9
12/18/2008 17:09:42   
dominic_r_monroe

Ubuntu The Word Is African,
Quote From About Ubuntu 1.1
quote:

A rough translation of the principle of Ubuntu is "humanity towards others". Another translation could be: "the belief in a universal bond of sharing that connects all humanity".

Edit: Yeahh I Suppose It Is, Well Based Upon The Same Linux Built In 1990 Summat. Ubuntu is more modern

< Message edited by dominic_r_monroe -- 12/18/2008 17:12:14 >
AQ  Post #: 10
12/18/2008 18:37:27   
Mo

Oh ya, for your Linux equivalents, SynFig Studios is usually used as a substitute for Flash
AQ MQ  Post #: 11
12/19/2008 9:03:41   
SuperGuy 9000

You didn't mention Wubi 0_O
http://wubi-installer.org/
Simplest option if getting Linux/Ubuntu/Mythbuntu/Bananabuntu whatever. You download the file, run it, set up your soon-to-be account, choose what type of Linux you want, and then wait while it installs it for you. Then at start-up you have an option whether to boot into Windows or Linux. If you don't like Linux, yo can just un-install Wubi.
The easiest way for getting Linux, for n00bs and non-n00bs alike.
AQ DF  Post #: 12
12/19/2008 12:53:24   
dominic_r_monroe

:L Thanks For Post Mo. I Did A Search On Google, Couldn't Find One :/ EDIT: Synfig Is An Anime Based Animator, Graphics, Same. I Was Looking for something that supported AS.
Wubi Is Included In Ubuntu Download, In Teh ISO Image.
I Will Link Thought.
Btw. Thanks To Whoever FAQ'd Us.

< Message edited by dominic_r_monroe -- 12/19/2008 12:59:51 >
AQ  Post #: 13
12/19/2008 20:46:00   
Cheesefreeak

ah been using ubuntu for a bit. XP got a virus and died, and I'd been meaning to make the switch anyway, so I downloaded the latest distro. need to install wine sometime..
Might want to mention Amarok for a music player.. dunno the code to download it but its probly something like
sudo get-apt install amarok
. I just used Synaptic package manager. Once you have Amarok its just a quick download to make mp3's compatible, if not you'd probably want to make all your mp3's vorbis's or some other format.

Post #: 14
12/20/2008 4:57:14   
SuperGuy 9000

I have a question, can you tell me all of the different types of Linux? Including Ubuntu branches? Thanks, I'm gnna try ut Linux soon, and I want to know what type I should choose. Thanks in advance.
AQ DF  Post #: 15
12/20/2008 11:53:16   
Mo

Well, it's halfway to impossible to actually list all the differences. There are probably hundreds of distros atm.

Though one thing you may want to note, is that there is no task manager persay. You have to do like "Ps E" or something like that to view all the processes, then look at the number of the process you want killed and type in, "Kill [number]"

Keep in mind, you need to have the command terminal open for this, and this is in Ubuntu
AQ MQ  Post #: 16
12/21/2008 6:41:08   
dominic_r_monroe

Yeah. I Need To Organize The Thread Better. I'm Just Happy That One Of My Posts Are Actually Doing Ok :D
Strange You mentioned the task-manager I Was Just Looking at That.
ps aux | les

Will Display ALL of them
I Use A Program Called AWN, When I Want To Kill It I type
killall avant-window-navigator

Its Just The Process Name
I Will Add To Post

@GuyWhoMentionedAmarok
A Media Player Comes With Ubuntu That Works Fine.

< Message edited by dominic_r_monroe -- 12/21/2008 6:42:03 >
AQ  Post #: 17
12/22/2008 23:28:29   
Cheesefreeak

call me cheese. and yeah, but I kinda like amarok bettah. should be noted as an alternative at teh least.
Post #: 18
12/25/2008 15:14:26   
dominic_r_monroe

Okk, Done :D
Im Easy To Convince, Btw. My Ubuntu Is F.. Ermm.. Ruined :D At The Moment, I Stole Borrowed My Mums CD.
Unfortunately It
A) Overwrit The boot.ini, Meaning Dual Boot
B) LEft Linux There, I Wish It Had Taken It Out At Least, Sorta
C) I Havent got a C, I Already Made Up B :L
AQ  Post #: 19
12/25/2008 15:59:34   
Mo

Well, technically, Ubuntu comes with virtual box compatability, so when you download Ubuntu, it gives you a choice to make it the OS in the Virtual box or you can make it a dual boot from the partition editor, or just delete windows
AQ MQ  Post #: 20
12/25/2008 17:03:46   
dominic_r_monroe

Using Which Version ^o)
Sorry, Havent Been Around Awhile So Using MSN Emoticons.
I Installed Ubuntu 8.4 Using an Official CD Ordered From there site.
Wasnt Asked About VirtualBox At All,
-- Wish I Could Find It, Could Use It To restore Ubuntu
-- Mo, Are You Dual Booting Windows [[&&]] Linux ? If So, Can You PM Me Whats Inside boot.ini(For XP) Or.. Err.. Will Edit with Version
For Vista, Could Edit And Put Ubuntu Into The Boot

thanks
-Drumm

AQ  Post #: 21
12/25/2008 19:46:38   
Mo

I'm dual booting between Ubuntu 8.4 and Win XP, I downloaded the .ISO from the site, I'll look for boot.ini and edit the results here when I get on the computer with Ubuntu.

Alright, here's what came up from my boot.ini:
"[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect"

< Message edited by Mo -- 12/26/2008 23:00:10 >
AQ MQ  Post #: 22
12/26/2008 6:51:03   
dominic_r_monroe

Thanks, Ive Located The Boot .MBR

Wubi Seemed To Create One Before I Cancelled It. I Just Ordered A Ubuntu CD. 7-10 Weeks :L Last CD I Ordered I Frogot About :L
It Took That Long, Still. Just Got CS4 Downloaded. So Will Be Back In GFX Action Soon :P
Thanks Agenn Mo. Im Still On The Dream Of Making Even A Small Linux Army Tribe Group :L I Like Srikes =D
AQ  Post #: 23
12/26/2008 12:12:30   
Mo

Haven't opened up that computer yet. Busy day, Fridays are. Anyways, here's a pretty good article for software that I think might help:
http://blog.headlondon.com/2005/11/11/an-actionscript-2-environment-on-gnulinux/
AQ MQ  Post #: 24
12/27/2008 6:31:06   
dominic_r_monroe

Did Some Research. Thats A Plug In For Eclipse, I Will Leave As A Possibilty, But Im Worrying It Might only Be For Actionscipt Alone,
But Ive Also Found FAMES + MING. Via That. Will Test When In Ubuntu, I Also Got Some User Bars Designed In Gimp :D And Ill Release My 3D Hat Version Later (Photoshop Cs4 Has 3d Plugin =D)

Your Boot.Ini Seems Very Strange Its Saying That Only WindowsXP Is Installed :S

UserBarSignature:

^ClickMe^

[center][link=http://forums2.battleon.com/f/tm.asp?m=15224425][image]http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp352/monroef4/Linux.jpg[/image][/link]
^ClickMe^[/center]

If We Get That Round The Forum Maybe We Can Get This Thread More Popular =D
AQ  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> Linux Q&A
Page 1 of 212>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition