Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Fantasy Stories

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> Fantasy Stories
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8/21/2009 12:55:26   
Xirminator

Alright, I have reorganized my stories into two threads: one for science fiction, one for fantasy.

Comments, criticism, compliments and anything else goes HERE.

The list of contents:

Dead Curse - the story that got me approved. Short, sweet, simple.
Dead Curse: Rewrite - my first 'long' short story. Didn't go so well, but I'm not going to fix it. (Because I'll have to rewrite it, and I'm busy with other stories.)
The Journal of Tim the Beardman - a humorous journal parodying fantasy. Still very short, but I might add to it if I feel like it. I don't intend to 'finish' it. It's just something I did for fun.
Crow Feeder - Wrote this in a day. It's the sequel to Dead Curse: Rewrite. I hope it turned out better.

< Message edited by Xirminator -- 9/10/2009 14:42:17 >
AQ DF  Post #: 1
9/5/2009 10:16:00   
Xirminator

Dead Curse

Red flames crackled in the fire-pit, flickering and weaving a dance of shadows and light inside the tavern. The few tables in the common room were empty, but three men sat at the counter. Three unusual men, by the innkeeper's standards. The one in the middle held a tankard of ale, which was still mostly full. Long, dark hair framed his pensive face, and rested on his shoulders. A silky blue cloak obscured the remainder of his body. The other two were rather odd. They were bulky, broad-shouldered men, with the hoods of their black cloaks pulled up over their heads. The innkeeper stayed away from them. One of them looked as if he had gray skin, and when he had genially offered them a drink, they had shaken their heads menacingly. They had not moved or spoken since.

The innkeeper set the now-clean mug down on a shelf behind him and cleared his throat. "Well fellows, best be off. It's getting too late."

The man with the tankard looked up and sighed. "How on earth did it begin?"

The innkeeper looked at him, a sorrowful expression crossing his face. "You're new to these parts aren't you?" he asked gruffly. "Well, it's a strange tale as I see it," he said slowly. "I believe it began five years ago, on that cursed bloody day. One man's fortune brought hell on us all."

The man looked up, a strange glint in his eye. "What happened? Did someone find a cursed treasure?"

"What in the world are you talking about?" the innkeeper growled. "There wasn't such nonsense - and you'd better forget about gold in these parts. You won't find any that's worth the price," he added darkly. "Where was I? Ah, yes. It began five years ago. On one night -- similar to this one -- two of our hunters found an old man on the road. We thought he had come across some highwayman. I tell you, the bruises he had, and that look of hopelessness in his eyes. He couldn't speak; his tongue had been cut out. Not that he didn't try. He waved his arms around and wrote strange letters, and we simply thought he was mad." The barman placed the clean glass on a shelf behind him. "But something was very wrong with him. Damn his luck that we found him!"

"What happened then?" the man demanded.

"Some strange illness was in that man -- or a curse," the innkeeper replied. "Whatever it was, it got into the healers. Within two days they fell dead - but - but they came back! They were walking! We couldn't believe our eyes. One day we're burying them, the next they're walking in the street, all four of them! But they were different. They were rotting, mindless! As soon as night fell, they attacked us! Some say people killed by them became like them. And I believe them. Hundreds of them stalk the sewers by day. And you know very well what happens at night. They come out, looking for us."

The man did not speak for a while. "A curse, eh?" He handed the tankard to the barman. "Well, goodbye, I'm off. Sundown's near."

The innkeeper nodded and the three men rose from their stools. "May the gods preserve your life tonight. I'll bar the door behind you," he said, walking them out. He closed and locked the large double door. They heard him slide a bar in place behind it.

"Well now," said the man who had asked the questions. He looked around in the empty street, breathing the chill evening air. "Shall we have a look at this?" His two companions stood motionless and silent and as before. The man grinned. "Well Gariben, what have you gotten yourself into this time?" he asked himself. "The living dead in the streets! How terrible!" His grin widened.

Gariben was a well-known name. It was the name of a thief; the name of a hero; the name of a madman; the name of a magician; the name of one without fear - or at least, that's what the rumors claimed. What Gariben was, only he himself knew. One thing was certain, he interfered where there was trouble and caused trouble where there was peace.

Gariben stood and waited. He felt the innkeeper's eyes watching him from an upper-floor window, wondering what on earth this man was doing out here in the night, unarmed and undefended.

A metallic grating sound echoed through the town, followed by a deafening clang, as if some vast gate had opened. The innkeeper snatched the curtains, flung them over the window and barred it shut. Gariben hummed softly to himself. Groans filled the air, and somewhere a scream. Gariben started. The nonchalant delight in his face had vanished; his eyes were focused. Another scream and he started sprinting in its direction. The two silent men followed him without hesitation, their cloaks trailing behind them like ravens' wings.

They ran past houses and shops, all locked and barred - and some with strange figures groping at the windows and scratching at the doors with long white hands. There was a snarl and something leaped at Gariben from the rooftops. He couldn't see it; but he could smell it. A rotten miasma of decaying flesh and disease. It almost grabbed him, but Gariben danced away on nimble feet. The thing turned towards one of his companions and lunged.

The man's fist collided with the creature with a muffled thump before it got its hands on him. There was a crash as the creature flew away and smashed into something. Gariben hoped it wasn't a house - holes in walls were something people didn't want here. His companion moved forward on stiff legs - like a statue that had just learned how to walk. His mouth opened and a great cloud of fire billowed out. The creature howled, and Gariben saw it for what it was. It had once been a man, but now it was a writhing, threshing body of rotting, maggot-filled flesh. Then the fire engulfed it, burning it into ashes. A faint glow of red light had appeared in his companion's eyes.

"Working fine, aren't we?" Gariben said to the man. He didn't answer. The scream pealed through the night again. "Off we go," he said and resumed running. This time nothing dared attack him; the prospect of incineration was daunting to the undead, and Gariben knew it. He rounded a corner, his companions close behind him, and entered a large empty area. Judging by one quick look and the numerous empty stalls, he assumed it was a market square during the day. Listening closely, he could hear sounds of commotion. Something was going on in the square.

His fire-breathing companion marched forward, smoke trailing from his mouth as it opened wide. A huge column of fire roared out. Gariben saw hordes of white-bodied creatures running away. Some were not so lucky, he noted grimly. "Abaddon," he said, raising his hand. "You may stop." The man closed his mouth, leaving the market square burning. Burning bodies littered the ground. Gariben saw a girl trying to get out from under a burning stall. "Ah, our damsel in distress!" he said gallantly, striding towards her. The girl watched him approach with large eyes. He grabbed her arm and pulled her out.

"What are you doing out here at a time like this?" he asked her, looking her over. She could not have been more than six years old. Her thin white dress was stained and covered with ash. She was coughing uncontrollably, and crying, tears streaking her ash-smeared face.

"He took me out," she coughed, between sobs. She must have inhaled a lot of smoke. Gariben felt a slight tinge of pity.

"The bastard!" Gariben snarled. He paused. "Wait - who's he?"

"The man in the sewers," the girl said. "I don't know his name." She was staring at Abaddon, eyes wide. The sight of the smoking mouth was a new one - she seemed to have calmed down.

"Tell me about this man," Gariben said, sitting down on the ground. He patted the blackened earth. "Sit here, girl. Abaddon, Phobos, be on your guard."

"Why can that man spit fire?" the girl asked.

Gariben stared. "What man?" he asked. "Oh! You mean Abaddon - he's not a man. Now tell me about this fellow in the sewers."

"He lives in the sewers," the girl said.

Gariben bit his tongue. Children! "Why don't the undead attack him?" he asked, a little more sharply than he intended. She didn't know what he wanted from her, so why couldn't he keep his temper down. "I heard the sewers were full of them!"

"They listen to him," she replied. "He took me with him down there."

"The bloody bastard! And he sent you out here to die, didn't he?" Gariben fell silent, thinking. Why would anyone take a girl out in the market square to die? Why take her in the first place? To watch her die? The market square, being what it was, offered plenty of viewpoints all around. That meant the man in the sewers had intentionally sent her out, so he could watch her die. What a bastard. "Very well girl. I'm going to take you to a home so you'll be safe," he told her. "Come on."

He took her hand and walked straight to the nearest house. Abaddon and Phobos followed him, one close behind him, the other hanging back. Gariben knocked on the door; he didn't expect them to open of course. "Open up! I've got a girl who needs shelter here!"

Silence.

"This isn't a trick, I swear!" he shouted. "Open the door!"

A window above opened a fraction of an inch. "Back away!" a voice warned.

"Just come down and open the door," Gariben ordered. "It's safe." The window closed, and a few moments later he heard the door being unlocked. It opened, only a little bit, and an eye appeared in the gap. "Hurry in girl! Get in!" The door opened to admit her and remained open, almost expectantly.

"Well aren't you getting in?" the man behind it asked.

"Afraid not," Gariben bantered. "I'm rather busy out here. Now, answer a question for me, will you?" The man nodded. "Do the sewers run under the market square?"

"Yes I think so," the man said. "But you can't get down there from the market square. There's no gate."

"Thank you very much, sir," Gariben said. "You may close the door. Dark things lurk out here."

"You sure you don't want to come in?" the man asked.

"I'm still outside, aren't I?" Gariben said, with a small smile. He turned away and left he man standing at the door, mouth open. Gariben looked at his two companions, thinking. When he finally came to a decision, he looked at his companions and said, "Abaddon, I require an entrance to the sewers. See to it."

The man strode forward to the middle of the market square. The light in his eyes was burning with new intensity. Gariben backed away, with the prudence of one who knew something was about to happen, and how exactly it would happen. Abaddon’s eyes were glowing with blinding white light. With a flash and the sound of cracking cobblestones, a pillar of fire roared into existence around him. Shards of stone were propelled into the air, embedding themselves in the wooden stalls. Thick black smoke rolled over the market square, choking the chill night air with its sooty heat.

Gariben walked into the fading smoke. He stopped beside Abaddon. “Not bad,” he said, looking down. A deep pit had been gouged into the ground by the explosion. Gariben couldn’t see anything below. It was pitch black. “We’re going down there,” he told his companions. “I assume it’s infinitely more dangerous than out here, at least for me.” He smirked.

Snarls and howls echoed from the pit. “Oh, they’re waiting for us,” Gariben noted. “Shall we?” Abaddon jumped into the pit, not caring if it was deep enough to hurt him. Gariben heard a splash. “That must stink!” He was suddenly thankful for all the smoke permeating the air. He held his breath, kicked off his boots, and prepared himself for the dive. Something white and ugly appeared in the corner of his vision. He jumped.

The air below was much warmer, he thought. It also stank. He closed his eyes and splashed into what he hoped was water. “Abaddon,” he called out, “Give me some light!” A pair of eyes suddenly shone with white brilliance. Gariben saw that he was in a low circular tunnel, half-filled with water. Abaddon was floating close by.

“Phobos come on!” Gariben yelled. His other companion leapt from the hole into the water. A sword was in his hand, and something’s head was impaled on it. Gariben ignored him and started planning his next move. Only then he realized how unwise he had been. He had chosen a random point of entrance, without any idea where he was going. To make things worse, they were all half-submerged in stinking, sticky water. They would never survive if they faced a horde of the creatures that prowled in the sewers. And finally, they had no way to get out, as the hole they had made was ten feet above them.

Abaddon suddenly turned his head, redirecting the light away from Gariben to a series of splashing sounds coming some distance ahead of him. The light revealed a pale white body, wading through the sewage. “Oh,” Gariben muttered. “Perfect.”

Abaddon’s mouth opened with that air of finality.

Gariben started planning his next move while Abaddon dealt with the creature. He didn't have to.

"Well now," a voice said from the darkness. "Someone was foolish enough to come down here."

Gariben looked up. "Abaddon!" he called out. A hot cloud of searing, red flame erupted somewhere to the right.

The voice laughed softly. "Come now, how many of my minions did you destroy that way? Do you think I am not prepared for that?"

"Who are you?" Gariben demanded.

"That should not concern one about to die," the voice said. "You've made a mistake, my friend."

Something grabbed Gariben's ankles. He swore, realizing that he had not been prepared for something diving underwater. It pulled him down before he could yell a command to his companions. He could not see what was pulling him; it was too dark and the water too dirty. Then he felt something sliding into his side -- his scream filled his mouth with water, and a hand wrapped itself around his throat. He struggled, trying to breathe and cough up the water in his lungs, while fighting the creature at the same time. But the creature's grip was too strong. Gariben fought, but he was out of breath. His lungs threatened to burst with their desire for air.

Above the surface, the owner of the voice waited. Then, a white bodied-creature surfaced and splashed over to him. It was the living corpse. He laughed softly. "Amusing, how the living fight to survive, when that which awaits them beyond death is eternal life." He looked at Abaddon. "This one was skilled - a creator of golems." His hand touched Abaddon's cheek. It was as hard as stone. "Pitiful. Without your voice, they are useless. Therein lies the difference between us. My servants ar--."

"Come now, Necromancer," said a voice from behind him. "You've forgotten something."

The necromancer whirled round, eyes wide. Phobos had lowered his hood, revealing Gariben's face. "What? How?"

"The thing your minion killed was merely a simulcra - in other words a golem of flesh and blood," Gariben explained. A smile danced on his lips. "I was channeling my consciousness inside it, drawing your attention away from the real me. All along, Phobos was me. I knew you'd fall for this because I knew you were watching me. When I saved the girl, it was obvious you were there, watching her."

"Ah," the Necromancer said. "Fool. Why did you reveal yourself then? You had the advantage of surprise."

"Oh, I still do," Gariben said, gesturing at Abaddon. The golem's mouth opened. "For your information, my voice isn't the only thing that commands them." A column of fire engulfed the Necromancer, drowning his shriek in its roar. Gariben waited for the screams to end with the air of one who had done this a million times. He looked at the white-bodied corpse. It lay unmoving. The end of the Necromancer had brought about an end to his magic.

"I don't know why you think you were so great," Gariben told the charred body of the Necromancer. "Thank the gods you faced my golems and not Gariben himself. I'm thirsty. Let's go back to the inn, Abaddon."
AQ DF  Post #: 2
9/5/2009 10:17:12   
Xirminator

Dead Curse - Rewrite

The innkeeper had been polishing his collection of wine bottles when the three strange men had arrived. They had stridden through the door with the air of powerful, rich men, men who were used to having their demands met quickly; the innkeeper assumed they were foreign merchants. They wore unusual garments; the one leading them wore a silky blue cloak with the matching hood pulled up. Underneath the cloak he wore a blue tunic and breeches of the same material. The other two wore plain black cloaks over sable tunics and matching pants; wide-brimmed hats that obscured their faces with their shadow and black leather gloves.

The innkeeper had not been expecting anyone at this time – it was very close to sundown and the usual patrons had already left. It was rather strange for people to arrive at this time. He had woven his way through the many tables, with a welcoming gesture, uttering all the usual pleasantries, but curiosity filled his eyes. The man in the blue silk had waved him away, turning down the offer of taking their cloaks.

“We need room to stay for the night,” he had said, “and some information regarding the town would be most appreciated. Money is no problem.”

“Yes, of course,” the innkeeper had said, bowing to them. “I’m afraid we’re lacking company at the moment – with the situation and all, it’s a bad time – but is there something I can get you? Anything at all.”

“Ale for me,” the man had replied. “My companions require nothing.”

The innkeeper had given the two other men an odd, suspicious look – they had not moved or spoken a single word, but remained behind their silk-wearing companion – and hurried to meet the man’s demands.

Now, they were sitting quietly at a table in the otherwise empty common room. The innkeeper was closing the doors and the windows, sliding thick wooden bars behind them. As the last bar fell into place an uncomfortable silence fell over the tavern. The innkeeper stared at them, trying to think of something to say, but the silk-wearing man was sipping slowly from his mug, and the other two sat silently, not moving at all. Words failed him and he withdrew behind the counter and resumed polishing his wine bottles. After a while he mustered the courage to inquire after their names.

They did not reply. Then the man in blue said, “Gariben.”

“I am honored,” the innkeeper bowed. His action was somewhat constrained due to his position behind the counter, but he rose gracefully and said, “Are you new to these parts?”

“Yes,” Gariben replied. He took a long draught from his mug and set it down with a clink. Silence fell again. After a long while, without looking at the innkeeper, Gariben asked, “Why did you lock and bar the doors and windows? Are thieves common here?”

The innkeeper wrung his hands. “It’s an annoying precaution, sir,” he said, “but necessary. Very necessary.” His expression had become a mixture of fear and anxiousness. “You see, two months ago, someone came to our town. Someone… bad – we think he was a sorcerer or a magician. He cursed a man in our town and disappeared.”

“What manner of curse was this?” Gariben inquired. He kept his gaze fixed on the mug in front of him, never giving the innkeeper his face, as if he was uninterested in what he had to say.

“A fatal one,” the innkeeper intoned sadly. “It’s a tragedy.”

“Why would the death of one man, two months ago, warrant such security?” Gariben asked pointedly, finally looking at the anxious innkeeper. His face was an unreadable mask.

The unnerved innkeeper’s voice cracked. “The man’s corpse returned to life,” he said quickly. “At night, he wandered the streets and claimed the lives of at least a dozen people. They too returned – and I suspect the numbers of these abominations have increased tenfold in the last month. However, they seem to fear the light of day.”

“So where do these corpses go during the day?” Gariben asked.

“Ruined buildings, old homes,” the innkeeper shrugged, “but mostly the sewers. Just avoid places of darkness during the day and you’ll be fine.”

“Has anybody tried to anything?”

“Of course they did!” the innkeeper said, seeming somewhat indignant that anyone would dare suggest his fellow villagers were afraid to try and fight. “The town people will not see their children fall prey to these creatures – we are burning down abandoned buildings, and we have left all the sewer gates open. The sunlight might get a couple of them as they crawl in the filth.”

“Good,” Gariben said. He paused, then said, “Has anyone fought one – in close combat?”

“Yes,” the innkeeper said. “Why do you ask?” he inquired, suspicion filling his face.

“I want to know,” Gariben said calmly. His relentless gaze drove into the innkeeper. In that one instant, the innkeeper realized that Gariben was not a man he should cross. There was a strange aura of self-confidence about him, not one that came from sheer spunk but rather from a full self-awareness, an awareness that alleged efficient lethality. Then Gariben looked away from him, and relief flooded the innkeeper. He realized that he had been holding his breath.

The innkeeper’s lungs deflated as he breathed out explosively, inwardly grateful that something had not befallen him. “Yes some have fought them – or tried to. They do not fall to swords or clubs. No matter the wounds we inflict upon them, they keep crawling. We simply burn them.”

“Good choice,” Gariben said. “Fire.” He smirked at one of his companions, who remained silent.

“Who are you?” the innkeeper asked. “You give me the impression that you know what’s going on here.”

“I do know,” Gariben replied. “I have just figured it out. Why do you think I was asking questions?”

“What is happening?” the innkeeper pleaded. “Can you help us, somehow?”

“Oh, I don’t know,” Gariben yawned, suddenly relaxing. “But I will try, tomorrow at least. Show us to our room. I need to rest.”

The innkeeper lay in his bed, unable to sleep. It was like this every night. He became an exhausted audience to the eerie sounds of the tormented night outside. And he prayed. Eyes closed tightly against the darkness and lips moving in an incessant prayer, he asked for protection and for safety. He had secured the inn as best he could, but he could not help wondering. Was it enough? Could anything possibly be enough? He would have lighted a fire for comfort, but he was too afraid to get up and expose himself to the chilly darkness. It felt like an oppressive wall, waiting for him to expose himself to it.

The corpses were mindless, but people were saying that they were learning. Learning how to break into homes and which buildings accommodated their prey. Sweat broke out on his skin as he remembered what one of the regulars had said today, “Just a fortnight ago, they climbed on Johnson’s hut and pulled off the thatch, bit by bit. We found him and his kids in the morning, or what was left of them ‘nyway. Had to burn ‘em.”

He shivered. He could almost see dark shapes prowling in the room.

Something squeaked in the room, and he jumped wildly out of the bed, his blood turning to ice in his veins and his heart threatening
to leap out of his chest. “God!” he exclaimed. “Cursed mice!” Then something crashed downstairs. Every inch of him went numb as he remembered the window behind the stairwell. He had forgotten to lock it. More crashes sounded downstairs, tables and chairs being knocked down by the half-blind abominations. The innkeeper cracked – his fear overwhelmed and he broke into tears, sobbing like a child. They would find him – a flimsy door like the one to his room would not hold that reeking mass of bodies that was probably crawling up the stairs right now. It would be the end of him.

Someone knocked on his door. He stopped crying suddenly. For a brief moment something flared inside him like a spark of flame – he would go out fighting; his hands were groping for a weapon, anything, anything that could be used to hit those bodies. “Mister innkeeper,” Gariben’s voice called out. “It appears we have a slight problem.” The innkeeper hurried to the door and fumbled with its lock, before slamming it open. The fear and despair must have been evident on his face, because Gariben smiled lazily and said, “There’s nothing to worry about. I’ll take care of this.” He was standing with his two companions in the landing, just in front of the stairs. One of them was holding a candle. He could hear the undead staggering about downstairs rather clearly.

“I don’t want to die!” the innkeeper yelled. “Not like this! Not like this!”

Gariben stared at him in disgust. The movements downstairs paused; then seemed to abruptly change direction. “Nice way to reveal our position, man.” Shadows approached the base of the stairs. Decaying feet planted themselves on the lowest steps and rotting hands gripped the rails, and the corpses slowly dragged their way up.

“They’re coming! Do something! Do something!”

Gariben whirled around and drove his fist into the innkeeper’s jaw. The poor man crumpled to the ground, senseless. “Please,” he gestured at one of his companions. “Carry him for me, will you?” The black-cloaked man bent downwards silently, picked the innkeeper up like a sack of potatoes and threw him on his shoulders. “Now, where was that lantern?” he muttered as he groped around in his cloak. “Ah.” His hands emerged holding a crude, unlit oil lantern. He threw it on the stairs, where it smashed to pieces and spilt the oil over the stairs.

The undead slipped and slid on the stairs, but they still regained their footing and continued upwards. Gariben grinned. “If you fellows think it’s going to be that easy, you’re sorely mistaken.” He snatched the candle from his companion and threw it on the stairs. The steps erupted in an orange conflagration, the flames rearing as high as the ceiling. Bodies stumbled into the flames and turned into ashes. “I just love that oil,” Gariben said happily, watching the fire spread. “It’s a pity they don’t make oil lanterns like that today. A real pity!”

But the fire was a careless move; it quickly spread up and down the stairs, consuming more and more wood and filling the air with dark smoke. It reached the upper floor and spread to the walls with maddening speed. “Hmm, I see why that oil is so hard to find,” Gariben commented wryly. He looked around for an escape. “Quickly, out of the window!” The three of them, innkeeper in tow, ran to the end of the landing. The man bearing the innkeeper tore the lock off with uncanny strength and leapt through the swinging shutters, uncaring that he was fifteen feet above the ground.

Gariben felt the fire lick the soles of his boots as he threw himself out of the window after his companion. He saw the wall of the opposite buildings and smashed into it before he could tell what it was. His fingers scrabbled for a hold as he tumbled down. His foot snagged on something – a windowsill – and he somersaulted in the air and smashed down onto a cart. “Ouch,” he grunted. His other companion had followed him, landing on his feet with a heavy thud. His black cloak was singed at the edges. Above them the inn had turned into a blazing beacon. The flames towered into the air like a spire, surmounted by a thick column of rolling black smoke. Gariben sat up, wincing in pain. His left ankle was throbbing. “Very smooth, Gariben. Who’s going to pay for that now?” he said dryly.

The innkeeper moaned softly and stirred. “Thump him,” Gariben ordered ruthlessly. “This is a very bad time for him to wake up.” His companion followed his order without question. Now think! he thought. The situation is pretty bad. I’m outside, with an incapacitated fellow. I need to find shelter for him. Then I’ll see what I can do about this undead infestation.

A scream pierced the night and Gariben stilled, like a hound pricking his ear at the sound of his quarry. “More trouble,” he grunted. “Let’s move!”

He sprinted towards the direction of the scream, followed by his companions, their cloaks flapping behind them like raven wings. The unconscious innkeeper swung limply as they ran. Gariben cursed under his breath; he already had the innkeeper to worry about, and preferred not to take any additional responsibilities. They turned into a narrow, rubbish-filled alleyway and hurled through it. The light of the moon on the rooftops and the chimneys cast eerie shadows and silhouettes on the walls. Gariben’s eyes took them all in – each shadow outlined in the pale moonlight could be a lurking enemy.

One of the silhouettes above lurched and leapt towards Gariben from the rooftops. Gariben danced away as it landed catlike at the spot he had vacated. His right hand dipped into his cloak and a sword flashed out as he turned to face the thing – a bone-thin man dressed in rags. The blade arced towards the assailant, but the man ducked under it and lunged. Gariben sidestepped him; his sword flashed again and bit into his flesh, leaving a deep furrow in his back.

No blood had gushed out and the man did not howl in pain. Then Gariben realized what he was dealing with: undead. But how can it be so fast? The undead did not attack him again, but threw itself at the nearest target: one of his companions. The black-cloaked man stuck out his arm and his fist collided with the corpse’s head. The collision did not move him a single inch – he stood like an unmovable iron pillar – but it knocked the undead to the ground at his feet. With almost inhuman efficiency he kicked it hard, sending it flying into a heap of rubbish piled against the alley wall. Gariben heard bones snapping.

“I’m not sure it’s over,” Gariben said, slightly out of breath. “Phobos, stay back. We don’t want the innkeeper getting hurt.” The one bearing the innkeeper stepped back, leaving Gariben and the other companion on their own, facing the rubbish heap. A slight movement came from it, and a sack tipped over and split, sending rubbish flying everywhere. The corpse dragged itself out, pulling itself towards them with rotting hands, but it could no longer stand on its feet. Although it felt no pain, the cracked leg-bones could not support it. Gariben tightened his grip on his sword and plunged it through its head.

It suddenly went limp. “Just as I had expected,” Gariben muttered. He straightened and wiped his sword on his cloak, heedless of the fine silk. “Boys,” he announced, sheathing it, “The one responsible for this is still skulking around.” He frowned. Having recognized the spell that animated the undead, he knew it was a necromancer he was dealing with – a mage who dabbled with the darkest magic and attempted to defy death itself. Finding the dark mage was going to be difficult. This was a rather large town with plenty of hiding places. The necromancer could even be posing as one of the villagers, and would thus be almost undetectable.

Then the scream sounded again.

“Ah, I almost forgot,” Gariben muttered apologetically to nobody in particular. “Let’s move.”
They were not very far from the source of the scream. They traversed the alleyway, rounded a corner and came into a large clear space. He could see houses on the far end, just barely visible in the moonlight. Empty stalls stood in neat rows that stretched away over the cobbles. Gariben assumed it was the market square. His eyes roved over the stalls, trying to find where the commotion was. There was a strangely oppressive silence hanging over the motionless square; the fact it was there held very negative connotations regarding the well-being of the screamer.

Then a whimpering sound somewhere off to the left.

Gariben whirled around, peering into the darkness. He heard slow dragging footsteps, and then a thump as something fleshy collided with a presumably wooden thing. Gariben unsheathed his sword again. With his hand he motioned at Phobos to hang back, while he and the other companion walked forward.

There was a crash and a scream; and something came running out from behind one of the stalls towards them. Gariben almost struck but then he realized it was a small girl, fleeing from something that came barreling after her. “Phobos! Stop her!” he called. The black-cloaked figure advanced on her and grabbed her with his free hand. She could not break away from his iron grip, and he lifted her up easily and held her close to him, protectively, just as he did with the innkeeper.

Seeing that the girl was safe, Gariben faced the encroaching thing. It had once been a man – an obese man with a stomach the size of a cartwheel. It plodded along on fat, rotting legs, wide mouth gaping in a soundless snarl. “By the Red God!” Gariben cursed. “It can barely move!” He wrinkled his nose: the stink was fouler than it had been in the rubbish-filled alley. “Abaddon, we need to get the head,” Gariben said. “Striking the brain will kill it instantly – it’s in the upper hemisphere of the head. Do you understand?”

Abaddon gave a single curt nod. With a grating sound, a long blade slid out of his sleeve, its point clattering on the cobblestones. The obese monster swaggered forward, heedless of Abaddon’s terrible weapon. Abaddon effortlessly raised the great sword with one arm and with a perfect vertical slash clove the thing asunder.

Gariben stared. That was ridiculously easy. He sheathed his sword, slightly disappointed that he did not get to fight, and turned to the girl. She was hitting every part she could reach of Phobos - including the poor innkeeper – but he did not let her go. Her little fists definitely could not hurt him. “Calm down girl,” Gariben said. “He won’t hurt you. Neither will we. Look, it’s dead,” he pointed at the cloven, obese corpse.

She stared at it, and Phobos gently lowered her to the ground at a sign from Gariben. She looked between Gariben and his companions. “Are you hurt?” he asked her. She shook her mutely; tears sliding down her face. Tears of relief or pain, Gariben could not tell.

He considered her. “What are you doing outside at a time like this?” he said in fashion that was reminiscent of a fussy matron. “Shouldn’t you be at home?”

“He took me from my home,” she said.

“Who took you?”

“He sent me out here to die. He set that thing after me,” she continued, ignoring him.

“Who did?” Gariben held his patience in check. She was just a girl – who had apparently undergone a horrifying ordeal.

“The one they listen to,” she said. “The dead people all listen to him.”

Gariben paused. He was thinking. He sent her out here to die? Why? Why would he do that? He set that fat thing after her – did he want to get rid of her, or is he doing this for sport? To watch her die? Being a rather expansive place, this market place offers plenty of good viewpoints. That means – He unsheathed his sword. “Abaddon, Phobos, be careful,” he said in a low voice. “I expect we’ll have company very soon.” And if we do, I’ll be very happy.

He was right.

A strange voice suddenly echoed over the rooftops. It was dim, as if it came from a great distance. It was shouting a chant, almost singing, but there was something ominous about it. It reminded Gariben of a lonely, despairing spirit howling its agony. Then came the sound of pattering feet; of dragging feet; of plodding feet. Alleyways echoed with the sound, and the silence that hung over the streets crashed. The town was filled with the movements of the dead.

“Girl, stay close to Phobos,” Gariben told the wide-eyed, frightened girl. “Don’t run away; he’ll keep you safe.”

Then he turned his back to Phobos, facing an entire half of the market square. Abaddon did the same on the other side, dragging his massive sword, the tip of the blade grating over the cobblestones.

Then the undead emerged from the alleyways and the streets. Others appeared on the rooftops and crawled down the buildings. All of them headed towards the small group in the center of the market square. They never paused to search for their prey. They already knew where it was. Their mindless sense of direction and the chanting voice confirmed Gariben’s guesses and the girl’s claims. He felt no sense of elation. Faced with a vast horde of slavering, rotting bodies, he could not feel any satisfaction at all. Something writhed in his midriff, and he resisted the urge to run wildly. He gritted his teeth – fear was something that he had to forget; now more than ever.

“This might prove troubling,” he said aloud, in a jaunty voice. “Abaddon, we might have to take it up a notch.” His tall companion nodded once, then resumed waiting, waiting as the wall of the living dead came closer, trampling over stalls and old wooden boxes beneath their feet. The fastest of the undead outran the rest a good distance. They were small and scrawny, with every single bone showing against what was left of the skin. Gariben’s instinct kicked in; his sword flashed as he dealt with the foremost of them. He wove through them, dancing nimbly away when they lunged at him. His sword bit through bone and flesh again and again – sometimes even a head, but mostly not. It was difficult to aim for the head when a dozen hands were reaching towards him.

His small successes were costly, for he was only a man and he grew tired as time passed. The undead never tired. The only thing that could stop them was true death. Their complete disregard for their own bodies made them much tougher opponents. They threw themselves at him when he chopped off their hands, struggled on when he impaled them and crawled and grasped at him when he cut their legs. He had to run, dodge and jump between them, and always he came face to face with yet another one.

At the very edge of his vision he saw Phobos standing as still as a pillar. The girl was at his feet, and he had a firm hand on her shoulder. The innkeeper was still unconscious. Beyond them, Abaddon swung his great sword with the strength of a giant and the precision of a master. No matter how many threw themselves at him, he would cut them down with a single strike. And while Gariben had to try and cut their heads off to incapacitate them, Abaddon simply cut them until they could move no more.

Then when their numbers seem to lessen, and Gariben had a chance to draw breath, the mass of slower ones arrived. They threatened to crush Gariben and the others simply with their number. Being slow, they were less dangerous, but they were harder to kill, and every second a new opponent would come within range.

Anyone that managed to come close to Phobos was pushed away by an invisible force. Undead staggered back from him, to be caught unawares from behind by Abaddon or Gariben.

Gariben ducked a pair of grasping hands, swung at them and retreated. Suddenly he was tackled from behind and thrown to the ground. His sword clattered out of his hand. Ignoring the pain in his lower back, he turned and kicked at the thing that stood over him, then scrambled towards his sword.

But he saw that he could not reach it. An undead, similar in size to the one that had been chasing the girl, was lumbering towards him. Gariben rolled aside, but it swung its hand in arc by its side and knocked him down. “Abaddon!” he yelled. It reached down for him with rotting palms. He saw broken fingernails heading for his face. “Abaddon! Help me!”

Abaddon’s massive sword whirled through the air and impaled the corpse’s chest with a fleshy thump. The force of the throw caused the undead to lose its balance and it toppled to the ground. Gariben scrambled up, looking around for his sword. Both he and Abaddon were unarmed, but his companion was simply using his fists. “Abaddon, fire! Fire!” Gariben screamed. He leapt aside as an undead lunged at him.

Then, a blinding flare of red light appeared around Abaddon. Trails of red energy blossomed outwards from his body. The undead did not understand the implications of this, and kept coming. Then Abaddon’s mouth opened slowly, like the gaping maw of some giant about to swallow the world. There were no teeth, or tongue. It was simply a gaping void into his head. A dim red glow appeared in that darkness, and then a jet of flame surge out. It expanded with a roar into a huge cloud of fire that billowed towards the undead.

The undead scattered, but they could not outrun the onrushing inferno. It engulfed them one by one. Once the cloud dissipated, the market square was left burning. The stalls were on fire, and bodies charred black with the flames lay everywhere on the cobblestones. Thick black smoke rolled into the air accompanied by a cloud of embers that was much like a swarm of fireflies.

“Nice work,” Gariben told Abaddon. He retrieved his sword from beneath a smoldering body. He saw that over a hundred undead had fallen – their numbers had seemed far larger during the fight – and he estimated that was almost half the total. Then he noticed a red glow in the sky. The sun was rising. “It looks like we’re getting a break,” he said. It was exactly the kind of break he needed, as he had to find shelter for both the girl and the innkeeper. He also needed to rest. He stretched, wincing at the sore pangs that needled his muscles.

He diverted his attention to the girl. “Everything is fine,” he said, “The sun is coming up.”

“I noticed,” she said with uncharacteristic sarcasm. “I think he’s waking up…” she added, pointing at the innkeeper.

Gariben looked at the innkeeper, whom Phobos had lowered to the ground. He was moaning softly and stirring. Eventually his eyes opened and he stared at the sky above him. He blinked, at loss for a moment, and then sat up wildly, turning his furious gaze on Gariben. “You hit me!” he said indignantly. “You hit me! Why – what the hell happened?”

Gariben considered him for a moment, as if sizing him up. “I acted as best as I could. You were mad with fear, and you would have been a liability in a fight. It was easier for one of my companions to carry you while I took care of the business.”

The innkeeper snorted, looking away. “What are your companions exactly?” he shot at Gariben. “And how did you kill so many of them? Are you a sorcerer?”

Gariben laughed, but it was a false, mirthless laugh. “I am a powerless man, my innkeeper friend. A mere mortal, doomed to suffer according to the plans and schemes of the immortals.”

“And your companions?”

“What about them?” Gariben said, turning away from him.

“I am not a fool,” the innkeeper said. “I can see they are not men.”

“Astute observation,” he said coldly.

“They do not eat, they do not speak,” the innkeeper persisted, “and they follow your orders unquestionably. No man is that loyal.” The innkeeper stood up. “Tell me.”

“Why should I answer to you?”

“Because you owe me an explanation Gariben… and if you did this here,” he pointed at the still burning stalls “I shudder to think what happened to the inn.”

Gariben grimaced. “I had to burn it down, there was no other way.” He paused. “My companions… you are right. They’re not men. They’re golems.” A strange emotion crept into his voice. “Constructions of metal, stone and wood. The last of my power lives on inside them.”

There was an awkward silence. Then a voice spoke up, “I heard a tale of a man called Gariben.” It was the girl. “Legend tells of a man with the name of Gariben,” she recited. “He is a man who has slept among dragons and lived to speak of it. He is a man who has spoken to both gods and demons. He is a man who has tamed the wind. No one knows where he abides, but the stories whisper of Sciargoth’s name and Gariben’s end. It is said he had a son–

“Child,” he said sternly, as if he feared that her imagination would carry her away. “That is just a story.”

“My mother always said stories come from somewhere,” the girl replied.

He smiled. “Regardless, I am not a man of legend. I have not slept with dragons or spoken to gods. I have not tamed the wind. I am a powerless man.”

“I think you’re lying,” she said.

“And I think you’re a brat,” he said, scowling at her. They glared at each other for a moment, and then she looked away huffily. The innkeeper shook his head.

“Stop this childish behavior,” he said. “We must think of something… how shall we scourge the rest of these abominations? You have destroyed this man, I’m sure you could–”

“I have an idea, but I will need to ask you both a few questions before I can think of a proper plan,” Gariben said. He crouched down.
“Girl, you first. Do you remember what the man that took you looked like? It’s important that you tell me everything you can remember.”

“I never saw his face,” she said, somewhat sulkily. “He always had his hood up. It was part of a black cloak he wore. And his hands were pale – like white spiders.” She shuddered. “He was always touching an amulet hanging from his neck and muttering under his breath.”

“What did the amulet look like?”

“It was a round silver piece with a bird painted on it,” she said.

“Is there anything you remember?”

“He was a cruel bastard,” she said vehemently. “He hurt me for the fun of it. Then when he got tired of me he threw me out to die…”

“And that’s where I found you,” Gariben cut her short. He was impressed by her tone; there was a fire in her eyes that was unlikely from a ten year old who had undergone such an experience. “Now, innkeeper–”

“The name’s Sam.”

“Yes – Sam – have there been any newcomers to the village? People that settled here the last two months?”

“Not that I know of,” Sam said. “Anyone deciding to stay here would be out of his mind, and I haven’t heard a thing. The patrons that show up for beer and ale in the common room gossip like women, and they would have said.”

Gariben stared at one of the smoking corpses, lost in thought. “You said they come from the sewers,” he said finally.

“Yes I did. If anyone were mad enough to run around just after sundown, he would have seen them coming out,” Sam replied. “What are you going to do?”

“I’m trying to figure out where he is, “Gariben said. “I will think about that later.”

“I advise you to stop thinking and go look,” Sam replied. “You will not find him just by sitting down.”

“Oh?” Gariben said, a condescending expression crossing his face momentarily. “Listen, I know he’s here. I’ve heard him ordering the undead around when we saved her,” he pointed at the girl, “he ordered all these bodies after us. You said no one has settled here recently and I’m assuming he has not chosen a derelict building for his hideout, simply because you said the villagers were burning them down. That would eventually mean he’d be found out. That leaves the sewers. There, he’d have access to many points of the town and since no villager dares go down there, it’s impossible to get near him.”

“I see what you mean about thinking,” Sam said. “What do you plan to do?”

“I have to go down there and find him,” Gariben replied. “It will probably take a long time, but I must do it.”

“It won’t be very long,” the girl said. “I remember where he used to hold me prisoner, and I could hear him moving close by, all the time.”

Gariben sighed. “Why didn’t you say he was in the sewers? I spent all this time–”

“You never asked,” the girl said, sounding annoyed. “You only asked me what he looked like.”

“Fine,” Gariben snapped, cutting the argument short. “Are you suggesting that you can lead me there?”

“Yes I am.”

“Alright,” Gariben said. “If you get hurt, I will not be held responsible for you. What is your name anyway?”

“Nena,” she replied.

“Very well then, take me to him.”

The sewers stank. It was not only the smell of sewage, but also the reeking stench of decaying corpses. Gariben wrinkled his nose and helped Nena climb down the slippery metal rungs set into the sewer walls. Sam’s anxious face appeared at the entrance. He lowered down two burning torches. “We shall be fine,” Gariben called out impatiently, taking them. “Just don’t come down here, no matter what. There are probably more undead down here.”

He waited for Abaddon and Phobos to climb down the ladder and then turned to have a look around. There were only two possible ways to go, left and right, along a narrow ledge of stone. On the opposite side of the tunnel was a similar ledge. Just beneath the ledges flowed a river of sewage and filth.

“Which way?” he said, trying not to breathe.

“That way,” she said, pointing. “Follow me.”

He scowled at her authoritative attitude. “Abaddon, protect her.”

She led them through a maze of twisting tunnels. Gariben could not fathom how she knew the way. The tunnels were all the same, low grimy ceilings and the same slimy ledges and the green-brown river of muck always flowing. They took a turn occasionally, delving deeper into the undecipherable riddle of the sewers, their way lit by their flickering torches.

Nena stopped suddenly, before the gaping entrance of a side tunnel.

“What?” Gariben said, reaching her.

“Shush,” she whispered. “We’re here.”

“Don’t shush me!” he hissed.

She gave him a disgusted look and peered round the corner.

“Get back here,” he ordered. “What if there are undead there?”

“There are undead there,” she said. “They’re standing still, doing nothing.”

“How many?”

“About a dozen.”

“Abaddon,” Gariben said, straightening with the air of one about to give an order. “Go inside an eliminate them. Do not damage the walls. I do not want everything collapsing round my ears.”

The golem immediately took off, and they waited in silence. After a while, Abaddon returned. Gariben looked around the corner and saw a small circular room full of broken bodies. Its domed ceiling was tipped with a series of iron rails. Gariben assumed it was a disused entrance into the sewers. “Nice work,” he said appreciatively.

Then, walking along the opposite ledge of the central tunnel came a figure robed in black.

They froze, looking at each other.

“Abaddon, attack!”

Abaddon spat a huge cloud of fire at the necromancer, who threw himself to the side. Gariben grinned as the robed man splashed into the water. That must stink, he thought. Then, something huge and black splashed out of the water. Gariben pushed Nena aside; she tripped and fell into the sewage.

“Phobos, don’t let her drown,” he yelled as he drew his sword. The huge black thing had crashed into the wall, and was now creeping towards him. He saw it was a huge hand of darkness, crawling on monstrously thick fingers. “Abadd–”

The hand launched itself at the golem with such force that it dragged him into the water with it. The necromancer surfaced near the opposite ledge, clinging to it for dear life. Gariben stared at the water where Abaddon had been pulled down. The remnants of the golem floated to the murky surface and spiraled away in the flowing current.

“Not so tough without your golem, are you?” the necromancer said. His voice was rough and cracked, like that of an old man. A silver amulet glinted on his chest.

“Is Sciargoth your master?” Gariben demanded.

The necromancer did not reply, and the massive shadowy hand climbed out of the water at his feet, moving like a five-legged spider. Gariben eyed it warily, knowing how far it could jump. His sword seemed very small and blunt compared to the crushing force of the massive fingers. Behind him, he heard Phobos lifting the struggling girl out of the water, and with some private satisfaction heard her spitting sewage out of her mouth.

“Phobos, take her and get out,” Gariben ordered. “Now!”

The golem picked up the girl then looked back at Gariben. It hesitated for a moment before running into the side tunnel.

“Is that a golem?” the necromancer inquired. “Very unusual behavior…”

“Shut up,” Gariben said shortly. He wanted to say something like ‘prepare to die’ or ‘this is the end’, but his words would have been empty, because there was nothing he could actually do. Firstly, he would have to leap ten feet of sewage, then confront the golem-crushing hand and deal with the necromancer himself. So, he waited.

The necromancer watched him carefully, and then laughed. “See where arrogance leads you? You were under the impression you could stop me, now you find yourself armed with only a sword. I would love to watch you stand there, helpless, knowing the futility of your position, but I require you to die and join my army.”

Gariben ground his teeth together. The necromancer was very perceptive and such a comment hurt Gariben’s pride.

Then the hand jumped again, leaping easily over the ten feet that separated them. Gariben huddled against the wall and slashed with the sword. With a huge effort he managed to knock the hand off course. It smashed into the wall next to him. His arms were trembling; it felt as if he had swung his sword at a stone pillar. The black fingers reached out and curled around the edges of the gaping hole, but Gariben did not give it time to crawl out. He stabbed with all his might and heard the satisfying sound of metal sliding into flesh and grinding against bones. The hand seemed to shimmer, and then it vanished into clouds of dark smoke.

A momentary sense of elation flared within him, but he repressed it and turned back towards the necromancer. “Anything else?” he asked with more poise than was appropriate.

The necromancer gestured negligently. A spear of darkness appeared in mid air. “That was just the start,” he said. The spear flew at Gariben like a falcon diving for prey. Gariben threw himself to the side, careful not to fall in the water. He rolled and came to a stand, then jumped back as another spear buried itself at his feet.

He threw away his torch and took off at a sprint along the ledge. His hand dipped into his cloak and he drew out a small dagger. Another spear formed in mid air and flew towards him. He ducked and threw the dagger at the necromancer, who stepped aside neatly. The next spear pinned his cloak to the wall. He struggled briefly then slashed the cloak.

He yelled as excruciating pain exploded in his leg and set every nerve on fire. His fumbling fingers found the spear in his left thigh and he attempted to pull it out, but that only filled his leg with a staggering agony and made his head spin. Dimly, in the background, he heard laughter. A lone thought came to him… the spear was poisoned.

The necromancer’s voice cut through his confused senses like a knife into flesh. “What now, Gariben? Why don’t you throw another
dagger at me?” He laughed again, and through his fuzzy vision Gariben saw a shadowy hand appearing at the necromancer’s feet. “You think I have not recognized you? You think I will not take this opportunity to rid my master of such a pest?”

The fingers of the massive hand twitched, then it hurled itself at Gariben. He gave the spear one last futile tug, and then gave up. It was over.

A huge black shape careened from left, colliding with the hand. It was Phobos. One word resounded in Gariben’s consciousness: Gabriel. “Stop,” he said feebly. His vision was clouding over. Gabriel, please stop. But the words would no longer come out. The mist in front of his eyes thickened and he heard something snapping to his right. Gabriel.

He closed his eyes as the poison took its toll. His mind went out his control as it spun images and dreams on the blackness of his vision. Visions and hallucinations whirled by, but one memory cut clear through all the blinding colors. Gabriel.

He stooped over his son’s broken body, tears sliding down his face. His wife, his wife was dead. His son was dead. All he had, all his power and skill, it was worthless. Without his family, he was nothing.

The colors writhed and shifted. A new memory surfaced.

A hideous red face with a maw of fangs leered at him as he kneeled on the ground, half-clouded with the fire and smoke that rose from the hell around him. “You want me to return them?” it said in voice that sounded like bones grinding together.

“Yes,” Gariben said firmly. His tears had crusted into lines of salt on his face, salt which he had not wiped away. “I want them back, both of them.”

The fanged mouth curled into a grin and a slippery black tongue slobbered inside. “What are you willing to give in return?” Malicious yellow eyes glittered at him from the smoke.

“Anything.”

The monstrous face watched him with inhuman amusement. “You do not have anything that is worth two souls, Gariben. Choose one of them, and perhaps we may yet settle this.”

Gariben swore. “I’ll give you my life as well,” he declared. “Just bring them back!”

“One, choose one. Or leave with neither.”

“Damn you!”

“Choose, or leave.”

Gariben slammed his fist into the ground. There was no other way.

“Whom will you choose?” the face drawled, its voice cracking with nightmarish intentions. “Tara, your beautiful mistress. Loving,
caring, the bearer of your son Gabriel…that innocent face…”

“Damn you Sciargoth,” Gariben spat.

“My patience is at an end, Gariben…choose…”

He swore again. Then he reached a choice. His son was young – he had not lived his life. She would want this. She would understand.
She would want his son to live. For his sake, he had to forsake her. “I choose Gabriel,” he finally said. “My son.”

“Very well,” the voice said. “Your son it shall be. When you pay me, that is.”

“Name your price.”

“Your power. The power that raised you in the eyes of all men, that made you a god among those pathetic mortals. I will have that from you.”

“On one condition,” Gariben said warily.

“I believe the condition is the return of your son…”

“It is, but you are a demon,” Gariben said. “I do not trust the likes of you. You will not hinder me as I leave, and you shall never cause harm to my son, directly, or indirectly, intentionally or unintentionally.”

The face went thoughtful for a moment, then the fires around it flared. “Agreed.”

Then together they both sealed the intrinsically magical deal. Gariben felt his power trickle out of him, lost to the demon’s own power. Then the drain ceased. “I have left you with but an insignificant bit, to help you leave this place,” Sciargoth said. A dark shadowy hand extended from the flames. “Your son, as agreed.” He dropped a small white pearl onto the ground before Gariben’s feet.

“What is this?” Gariben said, picking it up.

“Your son’s body has been destroyed. It would be futile to give you a free soul. How would you carry it?” Then, the laughing the demon disappeared and Gariben stared at the little prison the demon had forged for his son’s soul. Gariben could feel it inside. He felt the fear and confusion of that innocent boy, as he felt that little pearl which had become his world. Gabriel would have been better where he was in death than in this false life, enclosed in that small pearl forever more.

“DAMN YOU!” he screamed.

The hollow laughter cackled over the hellish landscape once last time.

Memories lurched and contested with each other. In the swirling maelstrom of colors, he saw how he had built a body for his son and with the last of his power turned it into a golem. It would obey his orders, but it could also respond to the boy’s thoughts. But it never did. It was silent and motionless, unless Gariben commanded it with the word ‘Phobos’.

In his dying throes, Gariben screamed out his lungs in anger at how one being destroyed his life.

A hollow, wooden voice sounded to his right. It brought him back to his senses and he became aware of an object near his free right foot. He realized it was Phobos’s head. The wooden voice sounded again. “Gah… Gahru…”

Gariben gave the spear a feeble wrench and let his hands drop to his sides. “Gabriel?”

“Gariben… Gariben. Father.

Then the massive hand of darkness took the head in its grip and crushed it with one mighty squeeze. A small white pearl rolled out of the debris, a singular crack on its surface. Tears brimmed Gariben’s eyes. Be free, my son, and please forgive me.

The necromancer was still standing on that ledge and the hand was destroying the rest of the body. “What was all that, friend Gariben? Are you going to die mad?”

Gariben looked at him, eyes hard. “The pact is void.”

“What?”

His raised one hand and gestured. The spear that impaled his foot vanished, and the flesh knitted itself together as skin flowed over the opening in his leg. With another gesture, he sent the trashing hand flying.

The necromancer drew back. “How – what–”

Gariben turned his hand towards the necromancer, eyes cold as ice. “Farewell.” A massive force drove into the robed man like a charging bull and crushed him into the wall. Gariben breathed out and stopped himself from breaking down to cry like a child.

His eternal pain had ended. After so many years, he could–

“See, I knew it!” a voice said.

He turned around, recognizing the voice. “Nena,” he said.

“I knew it! I knew who you were,” she said smugly, her pale face glowing in the light of her torch.

He scowled at her. “I felt inclined to lie,” he said laconically, standing up. He brushed the rocky dust off his cloak and looked about him. Phobos’s broken body lay on the ledge with that small cracked pearl beside it. The necromancer’s body was crushed against the wall, as if he had been pressed flat between two walls. Blood pooled at his feet and dripped down into the sewage.

He sighed. “Do you have any parents, back at the village?”

“My parents are resting now,” she said sadly.

“What?”

“They are free to move on.”

“I see,” he said. So her parents had fallen to him. Poor girl. “I’m sorry,” he added, trying to sound comforting.

“I’m over it,” she said loftily, turning her back to him. “It was some time ago. And I wouldn’t need your comfort anyway.”

He grinned. “Any relatives?”

“No…”

“How about you come with me? I can assure you of a promising future.”

“You? Why would I come–” Then she caught herself, and said, “Perhaps,” with composure.

He concealed a smile behind his hand as he wiped the lines of salt his tears had left on his face. It’s over.
AQ DF  Post #: 3
9/5/2009 10:22:04   
Xirminator

The Journal of Tim the Beardman

The very first thing that leaps to your mind the moment you begin reading my Journal – even before you think how ridiculous a name Tim the Beardman is – is who is Tim the Beardman? My title is one: Adventurer Extraordinaire! (Yes, with an exclamation mark, how would I be Extraordinaire without an exclamation mark?) I have travelled to the Spooky Mountains, the Haunted Plains, the Wartorn Valleys, the Fiery Desert, the Abyssal Canyons, the Dark Woods, the Black Forest, the Sable Groves and even the Grey Scrubland! I have garnered much experience; I have fought dragons, demons, monsters beyond imagining and sometimes even the possessed saucepan enchanted by some evil wizard holding the swooning princess hostage! Thus I welcome you to this well of knowledge, to this hoard of magnificence. Hear of my adventures and wonder at them.

(Do not try this at home. Or anywhere else.)

How It All Began

It began when I was a young lad at the age of ten: simple, innocent, wild and disobedient. We lived in a typical nomad tribe, never staying in one place, our roof a tent, scouring the Fiery Desert for those little oases that kept tribes like ours alive. It chanced one day that we were passing the Pyramid of Akshir the Dreadful and we had stopped a moment to rest our camels, when my mother turned on me and said, “Now remember Tim, don’t go wandering off into the pyramid. It’s a cursed place, full of snakes and scorpions and mummies.” Obviously, I did not listen, or I would be the father of twelve, bent under the weight of our provisions while my children rode the camel as we went on our way towards the next oasis.

You might wonder why I did not listen? Was I such a macho that I lusted for battle with these snakes and scorpions or mummies? Was I such a hero that I wanted to dive into the Pyramid and heroically emerge, all eyes upon me? Was I so curious that I could not resist the unknown corners waiting in the Pyramid? Or was I merely depressed?

No.

I was used to snakes and scorpions. I had spent ten years in a desert. I emptied my shoes of scorpions every morning. And mummies… well, that’s where it went wrong. Young as I was, I thought that all ‘mummies’ would do was order me back to bed. How innocent and uninformed I was.

And so, I entered the Pyramid. No, I did not use a secret entrance. I used the front door. Akshir the Dreadful was the sort of person who wanted people to go into his resting place. Blithely ignoring this ominous sign, I walked in. Brave. Curious. Dark tunnels. Hieroglyphs lining the walls. Fire flickering from various torches in the walls. Snakes slithering away from my coming. Scorpions scuttling away when I approached. And always the next corner, waiting, mysterious. (Had you been reading carefully, you would notice that I mentioned torchlight. Another ominous sign; for WHO could be going about, lighting and replacing these torches in a pyramid?) And unaware of these signs, I walked on and on, till I finally arrived at the heart of the Pyramid. And what a sight it was!

Delicate statues glimmered, torchlight flickered, and wondrous gems glittered, all arraigned about a vast coffin, made from pure gold. I strolled around the room, observing all I could, congratulating myself for this discovery, handling these precious items. Then came that feeling of being watch. That slight pull behind your ear, telling you to look around, and then you look and nobody’s there. But when I looked, somebody was there.

I knew he must be a man, because that was his shape. But I could see nothing of him, for he was shrouded in bandages and draped in old cobwebs. The great golden coffin was open and empty, and I knew that this was Akshir the Dreadful, returned from the dead. But he was not moving – so I was unafraid.

Then he spoke. He had a terrible voice that filled me with fear. It wheezed, coughed, fought to speak each word. “You… dare… to… enter… my… TOMB!?!” The last word the bandaged man shouted, finally having found his voice. I was frozen with fear; words had come to my mouth and remained there, unsaid.

“HUH!?!” he demanded.

I nodded dumbly.

“Then… SUFFER!”

And he raised his arms and started towards me. “For… your insolence… you shall die…” His feet dragged on the ground with a horrible sound, like nails being dragged across stone. “You shall… rot… here… forever…” He took another step. “Your bones… will… turn to ashes… your flesh… will crawl away…” He took another step. “Your own skin… will… strangle you… pain will be… your companion…” He took another step. He was close to me now and I smelled the reeking miasma that he emanated. I started walking backwards, towards the doorway, my eyes on him.

“NO! … You… will not… escape…” he said. He dragged his right foot forward. “Come… back… and… get… what you… deserve…” He dragged his left foot forward.

I did not wait for him. I set off into the tunnels, hearing his wheezing cries echoing in the tunnels around me. On that day – at the age of ten – I had learned how to deal with mummies. You will find this instructive, should you ever be foolish enough to stray into such a pyramid. The key to escaping from a mummy is to walk slightly faster. A stroll should do it.

With good luck, I found my way out. There were various traps hidden to stop anyone going out, but I avoided them with ease. After all, even a child can dodge a swinging axe if the hinge is so rusted it won’t move anymore. Thousand year old traps are not so efficient. I never went into the Pyramid of Akshir the Dreadful again, and to this day I fear he still roams about, looking for that child who disturbed his eternal sleep. But from that day on, I have never been able to resist that pull of adventure. Read on, and witness the mysteries of our world.

AQ DF  Post #: 4
9/6/2009 20:25:19   
Xirminator

Another day, another story. I just couldn't stop writing this weekend. (It means I'll have two stories to edit in the next few days.) Anyway, this is the 'sequel' to Dead Curse - The Rewrite. You don't have to read the Rewrite to understand this, unless you want to know how the two main characters ended up together. I hope you like it! (I still need to italicize certain words and proofread it.)

Crow Feeder

Crow Feeder sat atop the boulder, like a king who had lost his throne but acted as if he had authority. His sword was on his knees, and he drew a finger across its edge as if testing its sharpness. He did not look behind him. If he had, he would have seen the collapsed shells of the houses, some belching out smoke as fire consumed them from within. Prone on the ground were the bodies of the villagers. The streets were swimming with blood. Above the village a cloud of gore-crows squawked and flapped, spiralling down slowly towards the feast below. The setting sun was sent off by the jarring cries of the birds as they dove into the flesh of the villagers, splattering themselves with blood.

Crow Feeder cleaned the sword with his cloak, before the blood could stain it. The red light of the setting sun glinted on the blade. There were letters inscribed on it, the name of the sword: Gluttony. He stared at it for a while longer, lost in thought. After a while, he stood up and leapt from the boulder, landing lightly on the grass beneath. Behind him, the crows were rising into the air again, their wings beating against the wind. The bodies that had littered the streets had been reduced to bone.

“Another one,” Gariben said hollowly. A vast pillar of smoke was rising from the village. At first, he thought the villagers were celebrating some sort of harvest festival with bonfires, but now that they were close enough he could see the burning houses. He pulled at the reins of his horse to stop it from going too close. “This is the third village in the last month, what’s going on?”

“A great wizard like you should be able to tell,” Nena said. She rolled her eyes and muttered, “A bonfire… riiight.”

“That’s what it looked like from the hills,” Gariben said, defensively, turning to the girl. She had not stopped her horse, but kept going towards the village. “Nena, wait.”

“Come on,” she said, rolling her eyes again.

“It could be dangerous. No, wait. It is dangerous.”

“Then hurry up and get ready to protect me.”

Gariben sighed and urged his horse forward. Sometimes he regretted the impulsive decision he had made back in Lartain, the girl’s hometown, several years ago. He had been filled with jubilation at having freed himself and his dead son from the pact he had made with the demon Sciargoth and Nena had impressed him with her courage. Having discovered that she had no living relatives, he took pity on her and told her to come with him.

He had thought she would be a good apprentice, which she was. But she was too stone-headed and free-willed to listen to him. He sighed again. He had to be patient – he could not just find a town a leave her there. A fifteen-year-old girl with nothing in the world had few options for her future.

“They’ve been dead for a long time,” she said.

Gariben was startled out his thoughts by the sight of skeleton, half buried in mud. The skull was eerily white and there was a crack running across it. “No, this has been done very recently. This week, perhaps yesterday, even.”

“How do you account for the fact that they’re bone?”

“How do you account for the fire?”

“Maybe there was a plague,” Nena said, “and someone burned the village down to reduce the risk of infection.”

“Then why aren’t the bodies burned?” Gariben retorted. “Don’t jump to conclusion before you consider all the facts. I’ve told you that many times.”

She did not answer. Of course, she knew he was right, but her pride refused to allow her to admit it.

“Look at that skull,” he said, pointing at the cracked one. “A sword did that.”

Nena looked up ahead, squinting at the other skeletons. “I think they’ve all be killed with swords,” she said, quietly.

“Here, hold the reins,” Gariben said. He dismounted, grimacing as mud squelched around his shoes. He knelt close to the skeleton, trying to see any sign that it had decomposed. He stood up. “They’ve been picked clean by something.”

“They were eaten?” Nena asked, her voice rising with disgust.

“Yes. If they had decomposed, the air here would be putrid. Then again, I would consider the fact that the smoke might have covered it,” he said, wrinkling his nose, “but it’s clear that they were eaten.”

“By what?”

“Some sort of bird, I think,” he replied. “The beaks have left impressions on the bone.”

“There aren’t any birds that can peck through bone.”

Gariben raised an eyebrow. “You’ve seen everything in the world. Of course, you can’t be wrong.”

She flushed and looked away. “Do you know what did this, then?”

“I’m not sure… there aren’t enough signs. But it’s something bad. Very bad.”

“Because a bunch of birds came across a dead village and did what birds do?”

“No,” Gariben said flatly. “Because this is the third time this happened in the last month. Someone is behind it.”

“Are we going to do something about it?”

Gariben nodded. “If we can. But there’s a problem: we don’t know who’s behind it and where he or she – or it – is.”

“Use magic to find out,” Nena said, immediately.

“I have to know what I’m looking for to see something,” Gariben said slowly. He was thinking hard. “Listen, let’s go back to the hills. I want to get a lay of the land.”

Nena clicked her tongue. Gariben said nothing. Instead he mounted the horse and turned it around. They rode in silence towards hills, letting the horses pick their own way among the low shrubs. After the sight of the burning village, with the stark white bones being swallowed by a mixture of mud and blood, the sight of something as normal as dew drenched grass seemed out of place.

As soon as they reached the crest of the hill, Gariben scanned the terrain around the village. There were a few fields around the village, but most of the land was still an untamed grassland. Trees and bushes grew wild and free here and there. A couple of miles to the east of the village was a dark cluster of trees, growing on the banks of a small lake. The land to the west of the village was a stretch of uninterrupted grassland, eventually turning red as it reached the arid borders of the Harlen Desert.

“We head for the lake,” Gariben said. “Any survivors are bound to have fled for the cover of the trees.”

“Are you sure there are survivors?” Nena asked. “I mean, that was pretty well done, if you ask me,” she added, pointing towards the village.

“Someone is bound to have gotten lucky. We won’t know if we don’t try.”

“That’s true, I suppose. Let’s go, then.”

Crow Feeder ambled along the dusty road. His cloak was bloodstained where he had cleaned the sword. Hundreds of crows circled high above in the sky, their combined cawing giving him a headache.

“Oi, you there!”

Crow Feeder stopped and turned around. A cart, drawn by a mule, was catching up to him. An old, bearded man sat on the cart, a panting dog at his side. Crow Feeder waited until the cart trundled to a stop beside him. The old man flashed him a toothless grin.

“Need a ride?”

Crow Feeder shrugged. “Sure, why not?”

“Hop in, then.” He flapped his wizened hand at the dog. “Move aside you.”

Crow Feeder climbed up and sat beside the old man. The back of the cart was occupied with bulging sacks. With the dog having nowhere to go but the front, it was a bit of a squeeze, but Crow Feeder did not mind.

“Hot days we’re having, eh?” the old man said. “Needin’ a bit of rain, myself. Can’t stand the sun. Say, what’s up with those birds?” he asked, looking up at the circling cloud.

Crow Feeder pretended to look up. “No idea,” he said.

“They’re acting strangely. Might be a storm coming.”

“Could be. You’ll get your rain that way.”

The old man laughed. “True, true.”

And the cart continued on its way. Crow Feeder had no idea where the old man was going, and he did not care. His sword was crying for blood.

“Eugh! I did not expect this.”

Gariben laughed. “Here, use the moss to scrub it off.”

Nena glared at him and seized a handful of moss from the ground. Her face and clothes were streaked with mud. “What about my clothes?”

“Dry them with magic when you’ve taken the mud off,” Gariben said. “You don’t want the mud drying on you, trust me.” His attention wandered away from her as he looked around again. The trees and the lake were not what they had seemed from the hilltop. He had expected to find a wood, perhaps with a few trails where the men of the village came for the wood. He had expected to find a few boats for fishing in the lake. But as soon as he saw what the lake and trees really were, he had ordered Nena to leave their horses tied to a tree some distance away.

The lake was stagnant, its surface covered by green algae. An unpleasant odour was coming from it, like dead left too long in the water. The ground seemed firm enough at first, but it quickly became evident that the lake had seeped into it. Moss grew everywhere and there were puddles of muddy water where the droopy willow trees were lacking. Apparently, there were also bogs here and there, as Nena had discovered.

“I’m done,” she said. Gariben glanced at her. She was dry again, although not entirely clean. “I don’t think anyone in their right mind would be here, Gariben. Do you know I almost died?”

“Next time you fall in a bog don’t trash around so much,” he said dismissively. “You’ll sink faster.”

“Well, thank you so much for your help,” she said scathingly.

“There will be a time when you fall into a bog and I won’t be around to help. I had to try and let you handle it on your own.”
She scowled darkly at him. “So how long are we going to stay here?”

“Till they trust us enough to come out.”

Her scowl vanished. “So there are survivors?”

Gariben smiled. “Yes. Just sit and wait.”

They did not have to wait long. Less than half an hour later a group of people appeared among the trees. They had seen Gariben and Nena and were drawing close. They were an assorted group: a few old men, several young women and three children. One of the old men walked before the others, a pitchfork in his hand.

He stopped five yards away, his eyes hard and his back straight. The others hung back. There was fear in their faces, fear and sorrow.

“Who are you and what do you want with us?” he demanded. His tone was trembling with suppressed anger.

“Whoever said we wanted anything with you?” Nena retorted, obviously annoyed by his tone.

“I heard you talking, swine; you can’t fool me!”

Nena’s eyes flashed. “Oh, so wise–”

“Nena, shut up,” Gariben said shortly. “Is that how you speak to your elders?” She flushed, embarrassed. Gariben turned to the man.

“We mean you no harm. We saw the village, destroyed, and deduced that if there were any survivors they would have run for the cover of the trees.”

The old man frowned. “You’re either really clever or not what you seem.” He lowered his pitchfork slightly, menace in his eyes.

“I’m both,” Gariben said, smirking. “We’re not your enemies, old man.”

“Who are you, then?”

“You can call me Gariben.”

One of the young women made a startled sound. “Not the Gariben, surely?”

The old man with the pitchfork rounded on her. “What – are you stupid enough to believe him? Trusting strangers got us in the mess we’re in!”

“Yes, I am that Gariben,” Gariben told that young woman.

“Prove it!” the old man spat. “How do we know you’re not a servant of that monster?”

“Simple. You’re alive.”

The old man blinked. “That’s true I suppose. You could just be saving us for later, though,” he added, without much conviction.

“I could be, but meanwhile, tell me what happened to the village.”

The old man stared at Gariben for a while. “Alright, I suppose there’s no harm in telling you.” He sat down on the ground, but did not let go of his pitchfork. “It happened yesterday. I’m not clear on how exactly it began, but–”

“I know how it began.” The young woman who had spoken earlier stepped forward.

“Tell him, then,” the old man said, disgruntled.

“It all began when a man came to the village,” the woman said. “He was strikingly different from men that are born in these parts. For one, he had red hair, red like fire. He was pale, and he had a sword. It’s rare for us to see a weapon like that here. Old Cob here only has his pitchfork,” she indicated the old man beside her. “We didn’t like the look of him. And there was something else too. Crows, hundreds of them, like a cloud in the sky. I was helping Ron with his wagon on the road. I saw it all. The man started killing the moment he reached the gate. I’ve never seen anything like it – he was like a starved man, as if his life depended on killing others. The guards had no chance against him. His madness made him strong; he cut through swords and shields like a knife through butter.”
She paused. Her eyes brimmed with tears. “Ron pushed me out of the way when he came for us,” she said. Her voice broke into sobs, but she continued, “He told me to run and I did. And he killed him and I didn’t do anything.” At this point, she stopped, unable to continue. The old man – Old Cob – patted her awkwardly on the arm.

“There, there,” he said. “Ron was a brave fellow. I’m sure he died happy knowing you were safe.”

The woman sobbed even harder.

“Lady,” Gariben said, “finish your story.” Nena’s lips pursed in disapproval and Old Cob frowned at him, but he was not done. “I know you grieve, but if you relive those moments again, for me, I promise you I will avenge Ron.”

The woman seemed to take heart from his words. “Well,” she said, “some of us ran. Others stayed behind like Ron to try and stop him. I think about fifty got away – only twelve of us are here. I don’t know where the others went.”

Old Cob took over from her. “When we arrived here, we saw everything burning. And the crows, they were all flying down. The filthy scavengers.” He spat. “The man left the village and took the North Road to whoever knows where. We were about to return to the village to see if there was anything worth saving when you came here.”

Gariben was pleased to see that they had already started trying to make their situation better. They had not despaired. He had seen the remaining men and women of other villages struck by similar disasters who had lost hope. With key members of their community missing, they could not hunt or farm. They foraged, but they never found enough food. Eventually, they wilted like a flower planted in desert sand. But these people, Old Cob and this woman, they seemed ready to fight for their survival.

“The village is ruined,” Gariben said. “Any wood you’ll find there has been charred to dust. And I doubt there are survivors still there. I suggest you move on.”

“We want to start rebuilding,” Old Cob said. “Even here, just outside this swamp. As long as we have a roof on our heads. The fields haven’t been touched by the fire so we’ve got food enough.” He paused, thinking. “We’ll have to get help to work them from nearby farms, but we’ll manage. The only thing I’m worried about is that man. What if comes back to finish what he started?”

“He’s not coming back,” Gariben said grimly. “Not if I have anything to say about it.”

Crow Feeder hopped down from the cart. He patted the panting dog on the head and turned to the old man. “Thank you for the ride, old man.”

The old man chuckled. “Not a big deal, son. Goodbye.”

Crow Feeder watched the old man ride away towards a farm into the distance, using a trail perpendicular to the road. He put a hand on the hilt of his sword and started walking slowly along the road. The crows, which had been flying a good distance away so as not to make the old man suspicious, came back again. They too had seen the village a few miles ahead. They were ready for another feast.

Nena was not talking to him. Telling her to shut up had stung her pride – and her pride got into the middle of everything. Gariben did not mind; if he did not have to deal with her jibes and her mood swings, all was fine. They were following the north road, keeping their horses moving at a brisk trot. Soon, they would urge them into a gallop, hopefully reaching the destroyer of the village before anything else happened.

A few rain clouds had gathered and there had been a mild drizzle earlier. It made the gritty dust on the road soft. The horses were leaving deep imprints with their hooves as they passed. Gariben was thankful that he was not walking. His shoes had seen enough mud already.

At noon, when the sky had cleared and the sun was shining down once more, Nena spoke to him. “We should stop; I’m hungry.”

“Be patient, Nena. We’re close and I’m not going to let him get away.”

“How do you know that?”

Gariben pointed up. Crows were circling a couple of miles ahead of them. He could faintly hear the jarring cacophony of their cries. Nena’s face paled and hardened at the same time. Gariben knew her well enough to know that she was afraid, but she was trying to hide it. He knew she was ready to fight.

Gariben himself felt only a mild curiosity about this destroyer. Where had he come from? Who was he? Where did he get such power? Those questions and others flooded his mind. There was no place for fear within him.

Disaster suddenly struck when his horse neighed loudly and lurched beneath him. Gariben felt himself being hurled off it. He plummeted face first into the dust of the road. “Gariben, are you hurt?” Nena asked, dismounting.

He picked himself up, cursing under his breath. “I’m fine,” he said. “What the hell happened?”

“I don’t know, I just saw the horse flip over and you flying into the air.”

He walked over to the horse, which lay on its side, nickering loudly. Its front right leg was bent at a strange angle. “Broke its leg,” Gariben said.

“I think it stepped into this rabbit hole,” Nena said, pointing. She seemed amused.

“What the hell is a rabbit hole doing in the middle of the road?” Gariben growled. “Bloody rabbits.”

“Stop storming around,” she ordered him. “You said we’re close; we can still catch up to him.”

Gariben’s anger immediately vanished, to be replaced by a sharp focus on his objective. “We’ll have to forget the horse,” he said shortly. “I’ll ride on your horse.”

“You’re going to leave it here with a broken leg?” she said incredulously.

“Fine, you stay with it. I’ll take care of business alone.” He knew what she was going to say to that. The part that was afraid inside her would be relieved, but she still had her pride.

“But I want to–”

“Fine, you go. I’ll stay with the horse.”

“You’re sending me alone?” she asked.

“You said someone has to stay with the horse. You don’t want to stay here. You don’t want to go alone. I suggest you go and take the horse with you. I’ll just sit here and relax.”

Nena stared at him in disgust. “Someone’s in a grouchy mood.”

Gariben grinned. “I’m not feeling grouchy. I’m waiting for you to make up your mind.”

She sighed. “Fine, take my horse and go. Don’t forget me here.”

“Say please and I’ll remember.”

“Get going, grouch.”

Crow Feeder saw the horse on the ground. It was still, but breathing heavily. Its leg had been cruelly broken. It must have belonged to those two riders who had passed along the road a few minutes ago. He might have gotten another ride if he had not decided to walk some distance to the left of the road. Or maybe not. With one horse injured, they would have made him walk again.

The crows were already circling the village up ahead, waiting for him. His sword, Gluttony, resonated with an intense craving for death. He felt it, like hunger. It longed to bite into flesh and wash itself with blood. The feeling that came from it was so strong that he could no bear it anymore.

Perhaps he would ease the hunger with the blood of the horse. He quickened his pace and drew Gluttony from its sheath. Then he saw the girl crouching beside the horse, trying to comfort it with calm words. Normally, he would have reflected that the girl was pretty, almost a woman now. But this time, he simply reasoned that the more blood, the better.

“What is your name, girl?” he asked, when he was behind her.

She leapt to her feet, startled, and turned around to face him. “My name is Nena. You – red hair – you’re the one who destroyed the village!” Her face had contorted with sudden anger. Her reaction surprised him. If she knew what he was capable of, why did she not run?

“I assume that there were survivors if you know what I look like,” he said calmly. The sword seemed heavy in his hand, as if it was trying to bring itself down onto the girl. “Did I kill your parents?”
The girl stepped back from him. She raised her hand and drew a white, glowing symbol in the air with her index finger. “Stay away from me,” she warned.

“Rune magic,” Crow Feeder noted. “You are a sorceress?” He raised Gluttony and it seemed to sing with joy. He slashed the glowing symbol; there was a sound of metal hitting metal and the girl staggered backwards. Her shield was broken. But she did not dismay; quickly she drew another symbol and a wide circle of fire appeared around her. Then she started shrieking at the top of her voice, “Gariben! Gariben!”

“What are you doing?” Crow Feeder asked. He touched the tip of his sword to the circle of fire. Pulsing, purple veins grew out from Gluttony’s hilt towards the tip of its blade. Blood suddenly spurted out of the blade. In moments, the circle of fire had hissed out and Crow Feeder’s a pool of blood lapped at Crow Feeder’s ankles.

The girl fell down and tried to crawl away from him. “What the hell are you?”

“I am Crow Feeder,” he told her. “I regret it, but my blade craves you.” And he struck.

Gariben did the fastest magic he had done in years. He raised an invisible shield around Nena, he called the wind to blow away the red-haired man and he transmogrified a ring he wore on his finger into a sword, all in the space of two heartbeats. The red-haired man’s sword bounced off the shield, sending sparks flying everywhere. Gariben felt energy drain from him as the shield broke. By that time, he had moved between Nena and the red-haired man.

The red-haired man looked at him. “Are you the one she was calling for?”

“Yes, I am Gariben.”

“Are you sorcerers?”

“Yes, we are. Who are you?”

“I am Crow Feeder. This is my sword, Gluttony.”

Gariben frowned at the sight of the sword. Blood was dripping down its edges and oozing from vein-like markings on it. “One of the Seven,” he said.

“You know about this sword?” Crow Feeder asked, raising it as if to look at it.

“I know many things, Crow Feeder,” Gariben said, smiling at the red-haired man.

“If you know about it, why do you still face me? You should run. This sword is like a nightmare that lives on the edges of humanity’s reality. They know of it, but choose to ignore it. Men whisper of it in their darkest tales. Children sing of it in their saddest songs. You must know of its power.”

Gariben laughed. “Men tell stories of me all the time. Children sing songs about me. Virgins cry themselves to sleep over me each night.” He heard a snort behind him, but he chose to ignore it. “I am equal to that sword.”

“What are you called?” Crow Feeder asked.

Gariben crouched down, readying himself to fight. His sword seemed frail compared to Gluttony, but it was the best he could do on short notice. “I am called a thief, a trickster, a demon, a hero and even a myth. Some call me Dragon-slayer; others call me Strider of the Shadows or Lightning Bringer. I have many names.”

Crow Feeder raised an eyebrow. “What do you call yourself?”

“Gariben.”

“Farewell then… Gariben.”

Nena screamed. “Look out!”

Gariben turned. The crows had returned. They were descending like falling stones, all towards him. He remembered the notches that their beaks had made in the bone of the deceased villagers. Then he called the wind.

There was an explosive gust. The air filled with dust from the road. Crow Feeder staggered back and the crows were thrown off course. Some crashed into the ground, others recovered from the sudden change in direction and flew into the air again. But Gariben was not done. He knew never to hesitate in a fight. With his left hand he drew a rune of fire in the air, with his right drew a rune of earth. There was a huge explosion underneath the rising crows. Rocks were hurled hundreds of feet into the air, followed by a column of smoke and dust so thick that it obscured everything. There was another explosion. This time molten rock flew into the air, faster even that the crows could fly. It swallowed them one by one and then separated into globules that rained down on the earth like a harbinger of an apocalypse.

Before that happened, Gariben had drawn another shield around himself and Nena. The rain of molten earth fell all around them. Gariben could not see whether Crow Feeder had been affected by it; there was too much dust floating in the air.

“Gariben, they’re coming back!” Nena shouted.

And true enough, the crows had returned. They flocked around the shield, trying to break through. Gariben’s eyes widened in surprise – the crows had been wounded by the molten rock, but not in the way he had expected. They were crows of black iron. Some were glowing red-hot; others had lost winds or a leg. But they were still moving, and there were many of them. Beyond them, through the clearing dust, Gariben saw Crow Feeder kneeling on the ground.

Before he did anything else, Gariben summoned all his energy and drew a rune of time in the air. Nena’s eyes widened in awe. A wave of energy poured out of him and enveloped the crows. Their skin turned brown as they crumbled into rust. “You said that the time rune was beyond even you!” Nena said.

“Now’s not the time for that,” Gariben said. “Just remember who I am.” He walked out of the encompassing protection of the shield towards Crow Feeder. “Still alive?” he asked.

Crow Feeder looked up at him from where he lay on the ground. A globule of molten rock had landed on his lower torso and buried through. Blood pooled around Crow Feeder; he had used it to douse himself, but the damage had already been done. “I never wanted this to happen,” he said. “When he gave it to me, I had no idea what would happen.”

Gariben was astonished. He rarely heard remorseful last words from the people who went about slaughtering villagers.

“The sword…” Crow Feeder said. His voice was growing weaker and his breath was coming out in quick, ragged bursts. “Gluttony. The crows… they’re its embodiment. They feed and relish in death and blood. I had to kill to feed it. And it’s always hungry.”

Gariben crouched beside him. He had been about to kneel, but there was so much blood on the ground he did not want to drench his trousers. Not for this murderer. “Who gave it to you?”

“A man,” Crow Feeder gasped. “He called himself Sciargoth. He told me to feed it. I couldn’t disobey him. There was something… about him. Something compelling. The crows followed me everywhere. He told me they would eat me if I didn’t kill for Gluttony… and I believed him. I took it from him. From that moment on, I was Crow Feeder. I can’t even remember my name anymore.”

“And the crows obey you if they are satisfied?” Gariben demanded. “How could you murder so many for such an evil sword?”

“I’m sorry, Gariben,” Crow Feeder said. “I didn’t want to die. Not like that, torn apart by hundreds of iron crows. Not eaten alive. Whenever I thought about that, I always imagined myself dying of old age. But when I think about it… I don’t want to die at all.”

“Everyone dies at some point or another,” Gariben said. “I would not have killed for the sword. I would have defied it, even if it meant death. At least my conscience would have been free.”

“It would find someone else. That man would give it to someone else. The cycle would continue. I didn’t want to die. And my death would have made no difference. I didn’t want to die.”

“I understand. But you deserve this pain. And death. I will not save you from it.”

“I know,” Crow Feeder breathed.

“Goodbye,” Gariben told him. He straightened and left Crow Feeder to die alone. He searched for Gluttony and found it several feet away from Crow Feeder. It was lined by streaks of rust. Bits of it were breaking off and crumbling, dispersing into the pool of blood beneath it. Gariben sensed its magic coming to an end.

Nena had recovered. She was tending the horse by the time Gariben had finished with Crow Feeder. “That went well,” she said. Her voice was careful, as if she did not want to anger him.

“What’s up with you?” he asked.

“Nothing,” she said, not looking at him.

“Are you overawed by my display of power?” he asked, grinning.

She said nothing.

He laughed. “You are.”

“How did you become so powerful?” she asked. “I’ve been with you for three years but you haven’t told me anything about your past.”

“You never asked,” Gariben said, shrugging. “I’m not really that modest that I’d keep my deeds to myself.”

“Are the tales they tell about you true? Like the ones about dragons?”

“Most of them.”

“Are you ever going to tell me some of them?”

“I might. If you learn to behave.”

“Who is Sciargoth?” she asked curiously. “I heard Crow Feeder mention him.”

“Promise to cook dinner and I’ll tell you.”

“Fine, I promise.”

“Promise to keep your promise.”

“Get on with it Gariben,” she said impatiently.

He laughed again. “Let’s take the horse to the side of the road and tend to him. Then, I’ll tell you anything you want to know.”
AQ DF  Post #: 5
12/16/2009 17:44:35   
Xirminator

My story for the Book of Winter. Hope you like it!

Icy Hearts

There was a tiny, little man standing by the edge of the woods. He looked as if he had been standing there for quite a while, because his feet were knee-deep in the snow and his shoulders were white with it. His wide brimmed pointy hat had drooped to a haphazard angle because of the snow that weighted it on one side. He did not bother to brush it off. In fact, he appeared to be focusing intently on something in the distance, half shrouded by the falling snow. Several minutes passed, in which the man only shifted slightly, causing the snow on one of his shoulders to cascade downwards. Then, he puffed out one of his cheeks with his tongue and scowled. He extricated his feet from the snow and set off towards the thing in the distance. His size and tiny feet made it difficult for him to walk properly into the snow; his feet kept sinking with every step, and he ended up practically burrowing his way through.

He drew nearer to the thing in the distance, until it became apparent even through the snow that it was a large, homely cottage, with a warm, orange glow coming from its round, glass windows. There was the sound of merriment coming from it: cheery music, jolly laughter and the crackling hearth of some huge fire. The man stopped before the door, scowling deeply, and then banged on it, making it tremble. “I won’t do it! I won’t do it!” he shouted.

A silence fell in the cottage as the music came to a stop. He heard someone asking something in a low voice, and then a deep voice replying. Footsteps approached the door and it opened with a click.

A small face appeared peeped through the gap. “Oh, hello Jack,” it said.

“Don’t ‘oh hello’ me, you nasty little rat!” Jack growled. “Get out of the way.” He threw his small frame against the door, but it didn’t budge.

“Look, Jack,” the face said. “Everyone else is here; don’t make a scene, please. It’s Christmas Eve.”

“I know what day it is! Now move before I chill your bones.”

The face sighed and withdrew. Jack pushed the door open and strode into the cottage. They were all looking at him, some surprised, some shocked, some guilty. They sat around the fire, holding drinks in one hand and cakes in the other. A couple of them had musical instruments. There was a pile of wrapped presents in the corner. Half of the onlookers turned to their drinks, pretending not to notice him, while the others continued to stare, shifting uncomfortably in their seats. The elf that had seem edged away from him, looking mortified.

“Well?” Jack said. “Where are my drinks? Where are my cakes? Or didn’t you think of saving any for the poor little man who hates Christmas?” The silence was almost tangible, and their discomfort even more so. Jack revelled in it. Let them know, let them feel it, he thought, let them squirm with guilt.

“But - uh - we didn’t know you were coming, Jack,” fat, old Nicholas said. Some thought the man jolly and generous, the bringer of gifts and happiness, but Jack knew what he really was: a fat, old, greedy bastard, who couldn‘t even look him in the eye.

“Oh… you didn’t know I was coming, did you? You didn’t invite in the first place! No one - not one of you - thought to invite poor old Jack! Why would you? Who needs Jack Frost?”

“But you hate Christmas, Jack,” Nicholas said quietly. “Why would you want to come?”

“Good question!” Jack shouted. “Why would I want to come when you can’t even bother to invite me to dinner? I wonder!” He spun round and stormed out of the cottage, slamming the door behind him.

He waited for a few moments, half-hoping that someone would come out and follow him, but he only saw the thin silhouette of Death passing by the window and that was it. Jack turned away from the cottage and started his long, awkward trek back to the woods.

Now that he was alone and cold, his anger was seeping away, and he could only think about how this little scene had only made him look worse; there was no way they would ever invite him again after this. But it didn’t matter, he kept telling himself, they hadn’t invited him in the first place. At least he had shown them that they were the ones shunning him because he hated Christmas.

It was unfair. He had the right to hate Christmas. It had never done anything for him. Other people received gifts and presents and were wished happiness and joy in their lives. Jack had spent a lifetime icing windows and making sure snowmen didn’t lose their flair. And no one ever gave him anything in return. They just said he hated Christmas, he wouldn’t expect anything on that day. Why didn’t it occur to them that that was the very reason why he hated it?

Even Death got new robes once a year, but not Jack. Jack didn’t get anything.

A very small voice inside him suggested that he ought to talk to them about this problem, but dismissed it. It would look like he was wanting for gifts, and anyway, they should realize that themselves. It wasn’t his responsibility to tell them what they were doing to him; they didn’t do it to each other, they ought to have noticed.

He didn’t want to spend this night alone, going about freezing stupid glass windows. What kind of job was that? It was obvious they were just trying to give him something, just for the sake of appearances. How pathetic.

He trudged on through the snow, until, suddenly, someone called out after him. He turned, astonished and disbelieving and saw Death walking up to him. Jack didn’t like Death; he didn’t see how a robed skeleton added to the festivities, but Nicholas and all the others felt guilty about leaving Death out. They didn’t feel guilty about not inviting him though. No, no surprises there.

“What?” Jack said as ungraciously as he could manage.

“I just want to take a walk with you,” Death said in a voice like iron fingernails dragging on a gravestone. “I find myself a little tired of the carols.”

“Hmph,” Jack said, and started to walk again.

Death didn’t seem to mind. He followed Jack at a leisurely pace, pausing only when Jack stopped to dig his way out of the snow. “I’m not really a festive sort of person, you know,” Death continued thoughtfully. “I prefer skulls and bones all over the place. Candy canes and fires are just… too flashy, if you know what I mean.”

“Look, bugger off,” Jack said. His foot had become entangled with some root hidden by the snow, and his mood had become much, much worse. It was entirely coincidental that the root was there, but Jack took it as pretext to think that the whole world hated him, even nature itself.

Death didn’t seem to hear him. “I feel out of sorts in that particular crowd. I’m a more… un-festive person - I mean, personage. An eternity of escorting souls into the next world really alters your perception of the world, you know. I wish I could have been properly alive and less acquainted with… well, myself. I always end up ruminating with the Ghost of Christmas Future. Really depressing sort of fellow. The others are all pretty swell, but I‘m Death after all. They can‘t talk to me all the time.”

“The others aren’t swell at all,” Jack said. He hadn’t loosened his foot yet, and was currently bent over, shovelling snow away with his hands to try and expose the offending root. “They’re all mean, selfish and greedy.”

“Certainly not?” Death asked. “I imagine they will be quite pleased with themselves after I’ve seen them… for the last time.”

“Well, I hope they will!” Jack said bitterly. “Let them all forget about how they ignored Jack Frost. Let him chill windows all night long! Who cares about him?”

“If you’re disappointed with your role-”

“I’m not!” Jack shouted. “I just can’t see why I don’t get to have any fun when they can all do what they want? They’re out all night… distributing gifts, bringing happiness to families, enlightening miserly old men. They change lives. I just change windows and snowmen.”

“Hey,” Death said, sounding a little hurt. “I don’t get to change lives either. I get to… end them.”

Jack ignored him. “I can’t believe how things ended up like this. I should have told them I didn’t want to do this. Maybe they’d have given me something else to do and I wouldn’t have been angry all the time. They wouldn’t think I hate them. They wouldn’t think I hate Christmas?”

“You don’t hate Christmas?” Death said. He sounded quite surprised.

“No,” Jack said. “But it’s too late. It looks like I do. And I’m not going to go and tell them… I just can’t.”

“Ah, pride,” Death said. “How many have wasted their lives for it. In fact, I have an appointment someone tonight - all because he’s too proud to take back his words. A little grovelling, a little honesty, a little apology would save his life. Sad, sad.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Oh, nothing. Just business.”

“Who’s this fellow? It’s Christmas! You can’t just go kill him.”

“I’m not,” Death said. “He’s going to freeze to death.”

“What’s his name?”

“Jack Frost,” Death said, and for an instant, a strange, twinkling light appeared in his eye sockets, like a galaxy winking out after an eternity of shining brilliance.

“Me? What?”

“You’re stuck, aren’t you?”

“Yes, but it’s just a root, I’ll be free in no time!”

“I’m sure you will,” Death said. He looked away from Jack and started humming softly to himself. Jack stared uncertainly at him, and then bent down again to try and free his leg. It wouldn’t come free. A simple root had snaked around his leg and somehow was holding him, and he couldn’t get free. Was Death actually serious about the whole thing?

“Look, you’ve got to help me,” he said.

“I can’t interfere in matters of life and death.”

“Come on, it’s Christmas. Please.”

“I can’t do that. Think of how that would reflect on my reputation. Completely preposterous.”

“What do I care for your reputation! Help me!”

“No,” Death said. “I’ve never done such a thing, and I will never will.”

“So you’re just going to stand here till I die?” Jack said, horrified. He was feeling dizzy all of a sudden.

“Sort of. We could talk about something though. I rarely have any company, except for those little parties like the one back in the cottage.”

“Talk about something, huh?” Jack’s voice was becoming hysterical now. “Get me out of here! Help me! Help! Help!” He screamed at the top of his lungs, trying to make someone hear him. Death simply stared at him.

“They won’t hear you.”

“You’ve got to help me. Please. We’re friends, aren’t we?”

Death hesitated. “You could say that, I suppose. But business is business. It’s pride in the job.”

“It’s Christmas. You’re supposed to do good things for other people,” Jack said.

“I will, just not to you. Sorry.”

“Come on,” Jack wheedled. “Just once, forget about the job, try… try and help a fellow out.”

“I’m going to follow the example you have set forth during the course of your life, Jack Frost,” Death said, “and I’m afraid that unrelenting pride is that example. I will not set my pride aside and risk tampering with the universe when you failed to utter a mere apology, at the cost of a slightly bruised, yet quickly healed, ego.”

“So this is what it’s all about, is it?” Jack said bitterly.

“It’s the way you lived your life. It’s the way you shall die.”

“But… that’s so unfair. I‘ve been unhappy all my life. You can‘t just take it away from me, without giving me a chance!”

“You had plenty of chances. Everyday, in fact, was a chance. Tonight was a chance. Yet you blamed all the others, never wanting to clarify the matter, because you thought it would make you less than you are, somehow smaller than you are. Let me tell you one thing, Jack Frost, you have always been small.”

“Shut up!” Jack shouted. “Shut up! Shut up!”

“Guilt is such a cankerous feeling,” Death said. “I hoped you would learn, perhaps die a change man.”

“It’s so unfair!” Jack wailed. “I don’t deserve this!”

“Oh?”

Jack bit his tongue. “Maybe I do, but it’s still unfair. I made a few mistakes, it’s true, but I don’t deserve to die for them.”

“All your mistakes are insignificant next to the one where you want to dismiss them if they were nothing. Amend your mistakes, make up for them.”

“What can I do?” Jack whispered.

“Apologize for you behaviour, explain why you did what you did, and above all, learn to respect them so you will never do such a thing again.”

“Will you give me another chance? Please?”

Death considered. “Very well. I shall.”

The grip on his Jack’s foot vanished suddenly, and he climbed out of the snow in a daze. He felt as if a whole world had suddenly appeared before him. All it would take to enter it was a few words. He walked away, towards the cottage, humbled, feeling infinitely small, yet somehow, greater than he had ever been.

Death stared after him, before finally clicking his teeth. “All these people need is a little perspective… and they’ll be naming their children after me.” He thought about what he said. “Does Death want a hug from daddy?” he muttered in a singsong voice. “Oh lord, utterly unthinkable.”

And a small distance away, Jack Frost was sitting at a table, joyful tears running down his face, his heart a muddle of emotion.

< Message edited by Xirminator -- 12/17/2009 16:02:39 >
AQ DF  Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> Fantasy Stories
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition