Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: Comments and Criticism: Poetry--Compressed Meaning

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> RE: Comments and Criticism: Poetry--Compressed Meaning
Page 3 of 7«<12345>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2/8/2010 9:59:56   
Shreder

Yet another:

I Fall Within the Darkness of Your Eyes

My first attempt at a villanelle, I must say getting the rhyme and meter to work is a bit more difficult than usual, but overall I think the end result wasn't too bad.

< Message edited by shreder110 -- 2/10/2010 3:58:56 >
DF MQ  Post #: 51
2/9/2010 22:31:49   
ringulreith

I finally got a chance to read through the stuff I've missed, and I have to say you're doing really well! I only found error that jumped out at me:

quote:

A painting of the most the most majestic kind

Obvious, no?

Anyways, it's late, so I'll give you a better critique(ish) tomorrow, or whenever I get the chance. Keep up the good work!
Post #: 52
2/10/2010 3:59:19   
Shreder

Ahhh! Evil sneaky typo.

*Fixed*
DF MQ  Post #: 53
2/11/2010 22:20:09   
Shreder

New poem:

Wasteland

Written from the point of view of a lonely post WWIII survivor.
DF MQ  Post #: 54
2/11/2010 23:08:27   
ringulreith

Hm. Short, but very effective. I like it. Not your best work, but very powerful.
I just have one problem with it:
quote:

As I slowly onward trudge

That seems a bit off. Perhaps this would do better?
As I onwards slowly trudge
Even that seems a bit off. It's not the wording, but rather something wrong with the positioning... I dunno, maybe you'll come up with something better. Other than that, very nice and powerful.
Post #: 55
2/11/2010 23:48:21   
Shreder

Hm, I kinda like it better the way I had it...
DF MQ  Post #: 56
2/13/2010 7:37:30   
Shreder

Another new poem up:

Fireworks

Inspired by the beautiful fireworks we just set off for Chinese New Year.
DF MQ  Post #: 57
2/21/2010 8:02:07   
Shreder

New poem up:

Stepping Back

Should be pretty self-explanatory.
DF MQ  Post #: 58
2/21/2010 8:18:35   
Shreder

Translations is now also updated. Here is a link (for all you lazy people ): http://forums2.battleon.com/f/tm.asp?m=17287874&mpage=1&key=�
DF MQ  Post #: 59
2/21/2010 9:34:23   
Mistermafio

I've been reading some of your newer work, and I must say I really like it.
I'll give my two cents about the latest two.
Stepping back is a great poem with a great message, there is not a lot I could add to it text or message wise. Sure, there are a few lines with an odd build up, but nothing even big enough to really mention.

I would change a few small things though:
quote:

As I heaving strain to lift myself
Ascending further up this ancient tree
Until at last I reach a point

It could be just me, but I feel that line would flow just a bit better if you changed it:
As I strain to lift myself, heaving
Ascending further up this ancient tree
Until, at last, I reach a point

also note the added commas, it's not really critical to add those, but I think it does ease the reading of the poem.

quote:

To briefly rest, and in that rest, reflect

I would change the punctuation in that line a little too, just to change readability a little. Though that could be more affected by the way I read the poem then the poem itself.

To briefly rest. And in that rest reflect

On fireworks I only really have one thing to say:

quote:

Exploding they illuminate the night

That last line just doesn't feel right, the word exploding seems to be wrong for it. Though I don't dare say what would be a better alternative.

Anyway, keep up the good work
AQ  Post #: 60
2/21/2010 18:40:08   
Shreder

Thanks for the comments MM.

About "Stepping Back", I changed "As I heaving strain to lift myself" to "As I strain to lift myself, heaving" as you suggested, but decided to leave the commas out of the line "Until at last I reach a point". I also changed "To briefly rest, and in that rest, reflect" to "To briefly rest--And in that rest reflect" For some reason I dislike ending a sentence and starting a new one mid-line.

On the topic of "Fireworks", in my personal opinion "exploding" seems fine to me. But if you can think of a better word feel free to suggest it.
DF MQ  Post #: 61
2/23/2010 21:44:25   
ringulreith

I really like your new poem (stepping back). I can't find any mistakes.

I'm really interest in your new Chinese translations, and I will tell you that I think you did a good job on them, they are still very poetic. Very beautiful in their own special way.
I just found one mistake in goose, goose:
quote:

You stretch your slender neck to Heav’n and sing,

Should that be 'heaven'? Or is it intentional... Not sure on this one.
Post #: 62
2/23/2010 21:49:24   
Shreder

That was intentional. I shortened it in order to make it fit the meter I was using.
DF MQ  Post #: 63
2/28/2010 9:06:49   
Shreder

New poem up:

Fear of Death
DF MQ  Post #: 64
2/28/2010 22:41:59   
ringulreith

Hmm, very nice. Makes you think, too...
Post #: 65
2/28/2010 22:44:10   
Shreder

Thank you.

On another topic, you srsly need to update your poetry thread.../Me wants more!
DF MQ  Post #: 66
2/28/2010 23:35:50   
ringulreith

I will eventually, but right now I'm involved in two RPs on the RP board. I'll get to it eventually, though.

Oh, just wondering, but is it possible to replace the plural s-ending words at the end of sentenses so that the rime is better? You don't have to, but it'd be better if you did.
Post #: 67
2/28/2010 23:40:15   
Shreder

Not without rewriting the lines...Which I kind of like the way they are...
DF MQ  Post #: 68
3/4/2010 16:54:04   
Fleur Du Mal

Ooh, I like the translated Chinese poems very much! I've actually read quite a bit of Li Bai (I know him as Li Bo) translated into another language. You've captured some wonderful imagery there. =)

I'm very interested to see all further translations of Li Bai in particular were you to make them. Too bad I can't speak Chinese well enough to compare them to the originals. And well, pinyin doesn't tell all as many characters transcribe to the same exact syllable in pinyin (especially when lacking the tones). However, it'll be interesting to compare your translations in my mind to the general atmosphere I'm used to read from the other translations I've seen. Good work so far.
DF  Post #: 69
3/4/2010 18:41:20   
Shreder

Thanks fabula! Fleur du Mal!

Seeing as how people seem to like them, I'll try to find another one that looks like it would translate well...
DF MQ  Post #: 70
3/7/2010 10:21:52   
Shreder

New poem/song lyrics up:

It's Okay

As a side note, I also made up a melody for this, so it's actually a song as opposed to just lyrics.
DF MQ  Post #: 71
3/7/2010 12:47:29   
ringulreith

Hmm. I can't really comment on this one because it's a song, and I'd need to imagine someone singing it, which I can't right now. The message/meaning/etc is good, though. Like it.
Post #: 72
3/7/2010 20:20:40   
Shreder

Thanks ont.

/Me is going to keep bugging you until you update your poetry thread...
DF MQ  Post #: 73
3/16/2010 21:46:49   
Shreder

New poem up: Fast Falls the Rain

/Me stabs stupid writer's block. Take that!
DF MQ  Post #: 74
3/18/2010 3:07:41   
Shreder

And another: Stranded

I think this poem deserves some explanation not on the topic of subject matter but rather on the topic of writing process. This poem was essentially "Frankensteined" by taking fragment of two half written poem I had and adding some new lines here and there. I THINK it worked out ok, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. (Which is entirely possible, if not likely. XD )
DF MQ  Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> RE: Comments and Criticism: Poetry--Compressed Meaning
Page 3 of 7«<12345>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition